Page 1

Battle of the Ravine Reggie Murphy layed down a ferocious dunk in HSU’s loss Thursday

>Page 4




In The Fold

Elevators stir up safety concerns


Moe Skinner Staff Writer

The elevators on campus are not a new issue for students, faculty and staff returning from Christmas break. Are the elevators safe for students to use? What should students do if they are stuck in an elevator? “This is a common problem every year when students return to campus,” Philip Collins, campus maintenance supervisor, said. “Just like students, the elevators have also been on a break.” The elevators have a “use oiler,” meaning that when they are running, they are oiling the rollers and other vital parts. When the elevators are not in daily operation, they do not get oiled. When the elevator is not regularly oiled, it may tend to be noisy and jerky. This can be alarming to the passengers. “That was scary, I thought it was coming apart,” Carmin Wills, junior mass media major, said as she exited the elevator on the first floor in Arkansas Hall. “I wouldn’t go in there if I were you. I’d take the stairs.” When an elevator has a malfunction, the maintenance department receives a work order about the problem. “Campus work orders are prioritized and elevators are the first to get fixed,” Collins said. Henderson is under contract with Arkansas Elevators for the maintenance and repairs. The maintenance department has keys to reset them if needed. “We do not have the authority to work on any of the elevators,” Collins said. “Arkansas Elevators is notified of the problem, and they in turn prioritize us, too.”

*Illustration by Brett Little

Arkansas Elevators then sends a certified car inspector to perform the necessary repairs. They also make the call of when an elevator is repairable or obsolete. Collins reassured that if the noise and the jerking continued in the Arkansas Hall elevator, the matter would have to be re-investigated. Every working elevator has a certificate inside the car that assures the rider that the car has passed an annual inspection. Collins was not aware that the certificate showing in the Arkansas Hall elevator had expired. He assured that all the elevators had current certificates. Although, the office claimed the originals were on file, at the time of the interview they failed to produce them. The proper certificates were on display in the elevator cars by the day after the interview. Collins ensured that all the elevators were safe to use. He shared some do’s and don’ts about using elevators.

If you are stuck in the elevator, do not panic. Check to see if the car has a call phone button. If it does not, use your cell phone and call the necessary people to report the outage. If there is a large group of passengers, separate away from each other as much as possible to balance the car and distribute the weight evenly. This fact should especially be remembered during move-in and moveout days. Students living on the top floors of Smith and Newberry don’t want to have to carry all their belongings down the stairs. Weight distribiution during those days will help keep the elevators working properly. Finally, yet importantly, never overload the elevator. The excess weight can damage the elevator or even cause an outage. Students should be aware of elevator etiquette and ride responsibly and safely.

Woman wrongly grounded seeks justice after nine years Maura Dolan Los Angeles Times

The Department of Homeland Security made a mistake when it put a former Stanford University doctoral student on the government’s no-fly terrorist watch list. A federal judge has ruled that she must be given the opportunity to apply for re-entry to the United States. U.S. District Judge William Alsup said the government’s refusal to allow Rahinah Ibrahim, 48, to board a plane in San Francisco in 2005 stemmed from an error that the government must correct. Ibrahim was eventually allowed to leave the country, but she has not been permitted to return from her home in Malaysia. “The government concedes (she) is not a threat to our national security,” Alsup wrote. Alsup, in a summary of a sealed ruling issued Tuesday, said the government should “cleanse/or correct its lists and records of mistaken information and certify under oath that such correction(s) have been made.” “In light of the confusion caused by the government’s mistake, such cleans-

ing-certification relief is ordered in this case,” Alsup wrote. He also ordered the government to inform Ibrahim whether she remains on the no-fly list and be able to tell her under what section of the law she is being prevented from returning to the U.S. She must be allowed to challenge that decision if she so chooses. The day after she was arrested and held until her plane left, Ibrahim was permitted to depart with her teenage daughter for a conference located in Hawaii. They continued their journey to Malaysia, where Ibrahim planned to stay for a few months before returning to Stanford to complete a doctorate in urban planning. “On the day she was to return to California, she was informed at a Malaysian airport that her student visa had been revoked and she could not reenter the United States,” said Elizabeth Pipkin, her lawyer. “This has been a long slog,” Pipkin said. “She has been trying to clear her name for nine years.” Pipkin helped Ibrahim challenge the government’s actions in what was believed to have been the first trial of its kind in the country, held before Alsup without a jury. But Ibrahim was not

permitted to return to San Francisco to testify in person or to finish her doctorate. The court heard videotaped testimony from her, and Stanford allowed her to complete her doctoral work from Malaysia, where she is now a university dean. Ibrahim’s case has bounced back and forth between the district court and a federal appeals court. The government is expected to appeal Alsup’s ruling. Alsup said the public was entitled to information about what happened. It was also ordered that both sides discuss and come to agreement by April 15 on a redacted version of the sealed ruling. Pipkin said she did not know what led to her client’s name being placed on the watch list. “The government has never provided a good reason for that,” she said. Pipkin said she was under a protective order and could not reveal the procedures that allow the government to put someone on the list. She said Ibrahim has incurred more than $4 million in legal fees and costs and would seek reimbursement from the government. “I hope the government will learn from this and going forward will have more transparency in the way they treat people,” Pipkin said.

Henderson couldn’t fend off OBU last week as they lost in the final seconds. The Reddies lost the close game in the last three seconds of the game.

>Page 4


*Photo courtesy of Fabled Motion pictures

‘Come Morning’ director Derrick Sims is a recent Henderson graduate and he will be on campus for the Henderson showing Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Arkansas Hall Studio Theatre. JD Roberts gives a primer for students who plan to attend. >Page 2

Diversions MiSSiLE Kelly Thomas and Ashley Loftin ruminate on everyday life >Page 3

Find more news and information online at WWW.HSUORACLE.COM Monday



















INDEX Features: page 2 | Diversions: page 3 | Sports: page 4




PAGE 2 January 27, 2014

‘Come Morning’ director to return to Henderson JD Roberts Staff Writer

Danny Boyle and the Coen Brothers are names that

many can recognize. Jeff Nichols is a name that has become relatively well-known thanks to his film “Mud.” Derrick Sims is a name many have never heard of. All of these men are filmmakers who started with small budgets and a passion. What makes Sims so different are his deep ties to Arkansas and his deeper ties to Henderson. During his time at Henderson, Sims, with the help of his wife, founded Fabled Motion Pictures in 2005. After graduating in 2007, the two decided to move out to Los Angeles to work on various projects and build their company. Over the next few years, Sims found himself working on films, meeting new people and writing what would later become his debut feature film, “Come Morning.” The only thing keeping him from making the film was budget constraints. Fortunately, it wasn’t long before Congress passed a stimulus package that allowed some money for the arts, and Arkansas got a piece of it. This set things in motion for Sims and his producing partner, Zac Heath. The two agreed that the best place to make the film was where it all started for Sims: Kingsland, Ark. After another two years of fundraising, scouting and casting, Sims and his crew were ready to begin what would turn into a two year journey. “Come Morning,” takes place in rural Arkansas in the early 70’s, and follows a boy named D and his grandfather, Frank, as they go out hunting late one afternoon. Things take a turn for the worst when D shoots what he thinks is a deer. To

*Illustration by Brett Little

COMING THIS DIRECTION Derrick Sims recently released his film “Come Morning” in Austin. Sims graduated from Henderson in 2007 and with his career on the rise. He will return to Henderson for a special showing Friday in Arkansas Hall. their horror, they discover that it’s a neighbor who’s been trespassing on their land. Now D and Frank must find a way to get rid of the body before morning. This proves to be no easy task as they deal with the harsh elements and angry, cruel residents wandering the woods. This dark tale of innocence lost is a simple one and that’s what makes it so great. The writing is great and feels so real. The dialogue between D and Frank is believable and reminds me of the relationship I have with my grandfather. The situation, while extreme, never feels that way. Sims’s treatment of the horrible accident is so basic that you almost forget that it happened. It stops being about the body

and quickly becomes about D being forced to grow up. That brings us to the acting. Everyone in the film is relatively unknown, but that doesn’t mean that the talent isn’t there. In fact, almost everyone gives strong performances. Thor Wahlestedt, the boy who played D, gives a great performance and never feels out of place in a very adult cast. Michael Ray Davis plays Frank, and he kills it. His chemistry with Wahlestedt is incredible and his performance makes you feel so close to him. It feels as if you’ve known Frank or at least known someone like him. My favorite performance, by far, came from Maurice Mejia, who played one of the main antagonists. He was unbelievable and honestly

gave me chills. Look out for this guy because soon he will be in some great films. All in all, “Come Morning” is a great film, especially when you look at the shoestring budget and the 12day shooting schedule. I could go on and on about how great the film looks and how beautiful many of the shots are, but you can see all of that for yourself. On Friday, January 31st, Derrick Sims will be bringing “Come Morning” to campus at 7:30 in the Arkansas Hall Studio Theater. I encourage everyone to come out and see this great piece of work from a former Henderson student. It’s great to see students pursuing their dreams and gives me hope that soon many of us will be doing the same.


PAGE 3 Janurary 27, 2014


PAGE 4 January 27, 2014

Lady Tigers go home with tails between their legs Hunter Lively Staff Writer

Last season, the Lady Reddie basketball team fought tooth and nail with the OBU Lady Tigers during both parts of the Battle of the Ravine series, ending the season splitting the two games with one win a piece. As for part one of this season’s battle, there was no question about who was in command. After giving up the first seven points of the game to the 4-12 (2-8 GAC) Lady Tigers on Thursday night, the 11-5 (6-4 GAC) Lady Reddies stormed back with a 10-0 run. Back to back steals and layups by Aungelique Sledge, a junior guard, pushed the Lady Reddies to an early three-point lead at the 16-minute mark. Sledge wasn’t the only one contributing. Tiara Davis, sophomore forward, got in on the action with a pair of three-pointers that extended the Lady Reddie lead to 12, as they went up 2513 with eight minutes remaining in the first half. Henderson State, in what Jill Thomas, head coach, calls “attack mode,” turned up the defensive pressure as the first half progressed, with Taylor Washington, freshman guard, and Krystal Beachum, senior guard, providing the intensity that created Lady Tiger turnovers, leading to easy buckets. “When the offense isn’t coming to you the way you want it to, you’ve gotta go out there and force pressure on defense to create easy offense,” Sledge said. “I feel like we did a great job with that tonight.”

*Photo by Ryan Klare

KEEP CALM AND SHOOT Krystal Beachum shoots the ball in the

Battle of the Ravine game Thursday night. The Lady Reddies won the game against Ouachita Baptists University in a 78-49 blow out. Beachum scored 17 points and had nine rebounds. HSU shot 53 percent from the

The second half was no different than the first, as the Lady Reddies

continued to hound the Lady Tigers on defense, forcing 16 turnovers dur-

ing the game. At the 16:45 mark, Davis pulled in her 10th rebound and stuck back an easy layup to put the Lady Reddies up 47-27. Sledge continued to create easy fast-break offense in the second half by stepping into the passing lanes and recording four steals on the night. She finished with 18 points and eight rebounds. With two minutes remaining, Sledge capped off the night with a layup off an amazing length-of-thecourt pass from Davis, extending the lead to 76-46. In a completely dominating performance, the Lady Reddies had Wells Gymnasium rocking as they took the first game of the Battle of the Ravine 78-49. Davis had a monster night on the boards, finishing the game with a team high 13. She, along with Beachum, pitched in 17 points each. Beachum also ripped down nine rebounds. The Lady Reddies owned the rebound category, out-rebounding the Lady Tigers 49-29. Washington led the Lady Reddies with five assists, also contributing eight points. For the Lady Tigers, Breanna Harris led the way with 14 points. “Very excited about our performance tonight,” Thomas said. “We committed to playing defense, pushing it early, and rebounding the ball. I’m very pleased, and I hope we can carry it into Monticello on Saturday.” The Lady Reddies faced the UAM Cotton Blossoms in a key GAC matchup on Saturday. HSU won the first of the twogame series 67-60 on Dec. 5.

Buzzer beater gives HSU 8-10 record on the season Hunter LIvely Staff Writer

From start to finish, Reddie and Tiger fans were in for a treat on Thursday night. The intense rivalry is one of the most unique in all of college basketball, as the 6-10(3-7 GAC) Tigers only had to travel across the street to Wells Gymnasium for their “road” game against the Reddies. Immediately after tipoff, both teams were locking down on defense, as neither team could get into a rhythm offensively. Neither team scored in the opening two minutes of the game until Henderson’s Kevin Kozan, freshman guard, got connected with a threepointer from the left wing off an assist from Melvin Haynes, senior guard. OBU answered right back with a three-pointer from Micah Delph, son of former Razorback great Marvin Delph. The back and forth, frantic pace of the game saw nine ties and nine lead changes. Ten minutes in, HSU held a 15-11 lead after Haynes put up an acrobatic layup and made his free throw to convert an “and-one” opportunity. A five-minute scoring drought ensued as both teams buckled down defensively. Then Taylor Smith, HSU’s starting junior point guard, hit a runner in the lane at the 4:45 mark to give the Reddies a 17-11 edge. Bryan Umoru, freshman guard, provided some key minutes in the first half, sinking a perfect five of five free throws, as HSU carried a 28-23 lead into the locker room. As the second half progressed, both teams were locked in a dogfight, the scored tied at 33. Then Kozan penetrated into the lane, drew two OBU defenders to him and dished a wrap-around assist to a cutting Reggie Murphy for a thunder-

ous dunk that brought Reddie Nation to its feet. As one of the teams go-to offensive weapons, the junior Murphy’s presence inside was a key force throughout the game, as he provided 12 points and eight rebounds in 24 minutes of play. OBU would simply not go away, however, as its star forward Colt Fason continued to provide key buckets on each possession. With less than a minute on the clock, HSU had the ball down two, 59-57. Murphy caught the entry feed at the high post and hit Haynes slashing towards the basket for an easy layup. OBU’s coach, Dennis Nutt, called timeout with 24 seconds on the clock, the score knotted at 59. After a relatively quiet night from Delph, he connected on one of the biggest shots of his career. *Photo by Ryan Klare Sinking a dagger from 15 feet out with three seconds remaining, his shot WORK HARD PLAY HARD Henderson’s Ronald Lawson shoots the ball for two in the Battle of the Ravine game Thursday night. The Reddies put the Tigers up 61-59. fell to OBU in the last three seconds of the game after being tied at 59-59. The Reddies had a clean look fol- OBU’s Marvin Delph made a three-pointer shot for the biggest shot of his lowing an executed play drawn up carreer and won the game. by head coach Doug Nichols, but Haynes three-point attempt rimmed out as the buzzer sounded. Kozan led the Reddies with 14 points and collected six rebounds. Haynes also had 11 points and three assists. “I didn’t feel like we played with some of the unselfishness I’ve seen our guys play with lately, which has led to success,” Nichols said. “There’s still a lot left to play for, and we have to focus on a good Monticello team coming up on Saturday.” The Reddies are now 8-11 overall and 4-7 in the Great American Conference after playing the University of Arkansas at Monticello. HSU fell 75-72 to the Boll Weevils on Saturday, Jan. 24. *Photo by Ryan Klare The Reddies will next play host to MOVE IT DOWN THE COURT HSU’s forward Taylor Smith dribbles East Central University on Thursday, the ball down the court against rivals OBU. Smith made 2-of-7 field goal Jan. 30 in the Duke Wells Center. attempts in the game while Kevin Kozen made 5-of-10 shots from the field.

01/27/14 Issue  
01/27/14 Issue  

HSU Oracle