Historical Society of Haddonfield SEPTEMBER 2013 Volume 57, No. 3
“Dedicated to the study and preservation of Haddonfield History”
INSIDE: President’s Message from Lee Albright
Book Club News
Moving Houses Around & About XX
18th Century Receipts
Update on John and Eliz. Haddon Estaugh
SONGS AND TUNES OF THE 18TH CENTURY
From the Museum Cellars
Featuring historical musician Mark Carroll
Thank You Corinne Brandt!
News From Our Neighbors
Third Graders Visit Greenfield Hall
Rhoads Team Project in the Field
Upcoming HSH Events General Membership Meeting and 18th Century Music September 25th Greenfield Hall 7:30 pm Haunted Tours October 18, 19, 25, 26 7:00 pm Meet at Greenfield Hall Haunted Mansion October 26th Greenfield Hall 6:00-9:00 pm October 30th Greenfield Hall After the Parade
343 KINGS HIGHWAY EAST HADDONFIELD, NJ 08033 856-429-7375
The Bulletin General Membership Meeting: September 25th
By Dave Stewart
opular music may have changed a bit over the past three hundred years, or perhaps more than a bit, but the desire to enjoy, share and perform music is a common thread throughout history (as well as the efforts by some to insist that things have gone a bit too far.) The September General Meeting will allow just a glimpse of how and what our colonial forefathers might have enjoyed musically, as the Society welcomes traditional musician and history buff Mark Carroll. In keeping with the occasion of the tricentennial year, Mr. Carroll will perform and talk about some tunes likely to be heard and shared at a social gathering in the year 1713, as well as other highlights of colonial era music.
musical expertise stretching from classical to the “country” songs of D’Urfrey mentioned above. Like the harpers of old, Mark brings his music to all sorts of festive occasions. More information and video samples of his work a can be found at www.markcarrollmusic.com. The General Membership Meeting will be held Wednesday, September 25 at 7:30pm at Greenfield Hall, which will also lend its grandeur and gaiety to the occasion. Please join us for a festive occasion of music shared with old and new friends.
Following a Navy career, Mr. Carroll has been able to indulge his early love for music of all kinds, but particularly Celtic and early American music. He plays the music of Frances Hopkinson, Turlough O’Carolan and many others including, if we’re lucky, some of the slightly off-color tunes compiled by Thomas D’Urfey in his Wit and Mirth, or Pills to Purge Melancholy. He is a seasoned performer and instructor on the Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer and Uilean pipes. He also has the tin whistle, violin, harpsichord, mandolin, banjo and several other instruments amongst his repertoire, so we can look forward to a varied and entertaining program. Lately Mr. Carroll has been able to be seen regularly at The City Tavern in Philadelphia, where his music has complemented the Eighteenth Century atmosphere of the restaurant. He also performs regularly throughout the area at venues ranging from concerts to historical reenactments, with his www.haddonfieldhistory.org
ello to all members of the Historical Society!
Hear that sound in the distance? That is the sound of Fall 2013 creeping closer and closer as this beautiful summer winds down. Haddonfield, as well as the Historical Society, comes alive again as everyone returns to their fall and winter schedule. So as you are writing down all the important dates from the C o m m u n i ty Tow n Cale n d a r in September, make sure you leave room for all the important events brought to you by the Historical Society. We need the support of our members! Wondering what type of music Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh and her contemporaries enjoyed at social gatherings of the day? Then definitely mark Sept. 25 on your calendar. You will have the opportunity to be entertained as well as educated at the kickoff General Membership Meeting by a performance of Colonial-era selections on hammered dulcimer by a local musician. You won’t want to miss this lovely event! (Story on page 1.) The first tricentennial event of the Fall on Sept. 15 will feature an event cosponsored by the Haddonfield Fortnightly and ourselves, at the Haddonfield Fortnightly. The topic of discussion? Our very own Hadrosaurus Foulki. You will hear all about the historical background of her discovery and the extraordinary efforts
of 20th century Haddonfield to celebrate her fascinating story. (More about this on Page 10.) As always, in October there will be the Haunted Haddonfield walking tours and two (yes, TWO!), Haunted House dates for those of you who can’t get enough of our scary ghosts and goblins. And please look for our table at the Fall Festival on October 19. We always have great activities planned for the kids. In November, we hope to see the publication of the ultimate biography of Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh, a book the Historical Society is very proud to publish. A signed copy of this book would be a great present for the “historian” on your holiday list. And the BIGGEST event of all for your calendar is the 2013 Haddonfield Christmas House Tour on Dec. 12. The proceeds of the annual house tour will benefit the Historical Society and will be used to fund our ongoing efforts to protect the priceless collections stored in the Research Library. There are lots of things going on at the Society this Fall – hope to see you there!
Lee Albright, President
HSH BOOK CLUB NEWS The Years of Lyndon Johnson, The Passage of Power, by Robert A. Caro is our summer selection. Selected by the History News Network poll of historians as “Best History Book of the Year” and named by The New York Times as one of the “10 Best Books of the Year”, it was also acclaimed by The London Times as “one of the truly great political E-mail: email@example.com
By Connie McCaffrey
biographies of masterpiece.”
We will meet on Sept. 25, 2013, in Greenfield Hall at 6:15 pm, before the General Membership Meeting at 7:30 pm. Join us to discuss this compelling and captivating book. We expect a lively discussion on this selection! All are welcome.
he library and archives at the Historical Society of Haddonfield has wonderful collections that document Haddonfield’s past and it is important that we digitize and provide access to these items electronically. Not only does the community we serve increasingly expect the convenience of scanned materials, but in many cases we can protect our fragile documents and photographs by offering high resolution scans for study, rather than subject them to additional physical handling. It is therefore with sincere gratitude that we wish to acknowledge Robert and Wendy Grady for their recent gift that allowed us to make much needed upgrades to the library’s computer and scanning capability. Thanks to their generosity, we have been able to implement a backup strategy that will safeguard our existing digital collections, while allowing us significant room for future growth. The seven year old PC that had been our sole office computer has now been put into valuable service providing basic internet and file access for our patrons and volunteers. In the future, we intend to build on our digital collections, make finding aids to our collections available online, and transform our web site and overall online presence. We are very grateful to our members who lend their support in our common cause of protecting and sharing Haddonfield’s rich history. We would also like to acknowledge the hard work of Scott Graham, who recently concluded 50 hours of work towards his Eagle Scout Service Project. Scott chronologically ordered, flattened and boxed our collection of local newspapers for the Haddonfield Herald, the Haddonfield Sun, and The Retrospect. The papers are now in 28 acid-free, archival boxes for the benefit of future researchers. In addition, Scott also digitally photographed two bound volumes of the Haddonfield Basket from 1874 – 1876 and 1887 – 1891. Scott had to take great care while photographing the fragile newsprint and then worked on the computer to edit the raw images for optimum display. Thanks to Scott, this fascinating look back on life in 19th century Haddonfield can be examined without risk of damage to the originals.
By Ken Cleary In other news, we are happy to announce that our new Archivist and Librarian, Ken Cleary, was recently inducted into Beta Phi Mu, the international Library and Information Science honor society. Membership is limited to those M.L.I.S. graduates who are in the top 25% of their class and who also possess professional “leadership potential” as determined by their program’s faculty. In addition to the many on-going projects taking place at the library, Ken has also recently attended meetings and workshops held by the New Jersey League of Historical Societies and the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference. These activities serve not only as a chance to learn, but also as a means to promote awareness and appreciation for our Library and Archives. Finally, a reminder that the library will resume its regular hours after Labor Day: Tuesday and Thursday 9:30am to 11:30am First Sundays 1pm to 3pm Other hours by appointment – email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 429-7375 A copy of the Haddonfield Basket from July 23, 1874, one of many historic publications digitally photographed by Scott Graham for our archives.
Ken Cleary, our librarian and archivist conferring with Scott Graham, who recently concluded 50 hours of work in our library towards his Eagle Scout Service Project.
Moving Houses Around and About - XX
STILL MORE MOVES OFF OF KINGS HIGHWAY EAST
hen entering or leaving Haddonfield from Cherry Hill, using Kings Highway East, between 1950 and 1970, on the south side of the road, you would see a “U”- shaped, one-story, blue house with two fireplaces back “in the woods”. This property was known as 464 Kings Highway East. The house was built in 1950 on a couple of acres of ground for John and Margaret Berry who lived in it for twenty years with their four children, (John David, Kim, and Peter). Mr. and Mrs. Berry sold the property to the developers of The Mews in 1970 and had Berry’s “Little Blue House” at 464 Kings Hwy. East the house moved--in three parts by truck at night--to become 1098 Fulton Street, at the corner of Wynwood Avenue, Cherry Hill (a few blocks in back of Cherry Hill Dodge on the north side of Route 70. Born in 1924, Mr. Berry grew up living in Clementon, New J e r s e y . However, he w e n t t o Haddonfield Friends School f o r h i s elementary education and transferred to Berry’s house moved to 1098 Fulton St., Cherry Hill, NJ and graduated from Moorestown Friends School. He married Margaret Clymer on May 28, 1948. Mr. Berry died in January of 1992. E-mail: email@example.com
By Helen Mountney
Mrs. Berry, a long-time resident of Haddonfield and known to all as “Peggy Clymer”, graduated from Haddonfield Memorial High School in 1945. She died in 2002. (The Berry children graduated from her alma mater in 1969, 1971, 1972, and 1974, respectively. Mrs. Berry was the daughter of Victor and Carrie (Baker) Clymer. Known locally as “Vic”, Mr. Clymer was the son of Allen and Lydia Clymer who lived at 228 East Main Street (now Kings Highway East) when they first moved to Haddonfield, before they moved to Chews Landing Road. “Oldtime residents” of town will remember Vic Clymer who started Clymer’s Gazette Print Shop in his family’s home and then moved it to an outbuilding in their back yard on Main Street when he was young. Later, he moved his business to the brick building at 9 South Haddon Avenue where The Haddon Gazette, known as “the paper the people read” was printed for many years. For a short while after Mr. and Mrs. Berry were married, they lived in Wallworth Apartments (now Watergate Apartments) in Cherry Hill. One day, Mrs. Berry was driving on Kings Highway East coming into Haddonfield and passed the then empty lot just over the bridge crossing the Cooper River and on her left she spotted a “For Sale” sign stuck in the ground. She quickly pulled over, stopped the car, went across the street, pulled the sign out, and put it in the back of her car—she didn’t want anyone else to see the sign—because she had just made a snap decision—she wanted that piece of ground! After winning the right to purchase the lot (there were others already involved), Mr. John W. Berry, her father-in-law, purchased the lot from the Croft family for his son and daughter-in-law as a wedding gift. Mrs. Berry’s father then had the house built on the property--which Mrs. Berry, an accomplished artist, had designed. This house was also to be a wedding gift for his daughter and son-inlaw. Cont’d on page 5
MOVING HOUSES from page 4
Almost twenty-five years before the Berrys even thought about building their “little blue house in the woods”, the Borough of Haddonfield decided it wanted the property farther down the same street known as “242 Kings Highway East”, in order to build a new Borough Hall in place of the “old” house. This property was then owned by Caroline R. and Merritt Pharo, Sr. The house was a lovely, sizeable and very historic home, sitting back off the street with several outbuildings on the spacious grounds. Unfortunately, the basic plan was to demolish the house and outbuildings and build the impressive building we now have standing there. Before the house was demolished, it was decided to move the back room of this house two doors east--to 254 Kings Highway East—a house that was occupied by Bessie (England) Mack—that was her family home. The house is now known as the Aspden-Champion-Blackwood House. Mrs. England knew how elegant this room was because her father, George B. England, and her brother George, had done the carpentry on it. The pine paneling and the other woodwork were works of art and exhibited extremely fine workmanship. This Pharo house was not the first house on this piece of ground. Samuel M. Day owned and occupied the “original” house on this property and sold it in 1855 to Samuel W. Abbott. It is believed that Mr. Abbott had the then existing house demolished and designed and built the new more lavish dwelling constructed on the property. After Mr. Abbott’s death, and after a family court case, the property was sold by Deed dated 1869 to Edward Drinker Cope, then a well -known paleontologist and Curator at the Academy of Natural Science in Philadelphia. The Cope family moved into this house in January of 1868, renting for the first few months. On this property was a large two-story barn with a windmill attached, several small outbuildings, and a small, one -story building which was used by the household help. This building is still standing and is owned by the Borough of Haddonfield and
used for Caregivers.
Mr. and Mrs. George Horter purchased this property from the Copes in 1879 when the Copes decided to move back to Philadelphia to be closer to the Academy of National Science. The Horters sold it in 1913 to the Pharos who apparently had quite a garden and several fruit trees on the property. The basement of the house had multi levels which were used to store produce from their garden for later use. Mr. Pharo died in 1920 and Mrs. Pharo moved from the house in 1928 to 24 Ellis Street. Mrs. Pharo died in 1936 and both Mr. and Mrs. Pharo are buried in the Friends Burial Ground in Haddonfield.
Plot Plan for 242 Kings Hwy. East
Why wasn’t this magnificent house in the center of town moved like so many others have been?
Breakfast Room at 254 Kings Hwy. East after move from 242 Kings Hwy. East
18TH CENTURY RECEIPTS
By Dianne Snodgrass
fter my May program of 18th Century Food Tastings, some of you expressed an interest in the recipes. Here are two of them. Thank you for your enthusiasm. We did, indeed, have a brilliant evening!
Dianne Snodgrass, in full period dress, presenting our 18th Century Food Tasting with help from volunteer Liz Albert. A delicious time was had by all!
Yam pudding, sliced and ready for tasting.
GULIELMA PENN late 17th Century England
POLLY BURLING mid to late 18th Century Burlington, Colony of West Jersey
“Too Make a Tart of Spinaige”
"To Yam or Pottatoe Pudding”
“Take a good Dele of spinaige and boyle it in water and a Littell salt, and when it is boyled well Drain out the water very Clene, take the yeolks of eggs and Creme strain them with the spinaige through a strainer, and seson it with suger, put too it a slise of butter then put them in the Coffen and boyle them."
“Roast Your Yams till they are soft then peal them to two pounds and half of Yam, put one pound of Buter, one pound of Sugar, half pound of Currants and Seven Eggs, Season with Mace Cinnamon Lemon peel and Rose Water, your Yams and Butter must be beat together, then beat your Eggs and Sugar and put them into the Yams.”
Modern version: Spinach Pie
Modern version: Yam Pudding
1 9" pie shell 1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup cream 4 egg yolks 1 teaspoon sugar 2 tablespoons melted butter Bake tart or pie shell in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Defrost spinach in a bowl. Drain all moisture from it. In a bowl mix the remaining ingredients. Add the spinach and pour carefully into p r e p a r e d shell. Bake at 325 degrees for a glass plate or 350 degrees for a metal one for 3540 minutes. Test by placing a knife in the center and if it comes out clean the pie is done.
4 yams (1 pound) or 2 cups mashed yams 6 ounces soft butter 2 eggs scant cup sugar 1 tablespoon rose water 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground mace 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon 3/4 cup currants peel of 1/2 lemon, finely minced crust for 9" pie plate Bake yams until they are softened. Peel and mash them. Beat 6 ounces of soft butter into the warm yams. Beat eggs, then add sugar and beat together until light & frothy. Add to yam mixture. Beat in spices and rose water. Stir in currants and lemon peel. Line a 9" pie plate with pastry crust and pour in yam mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle of the pudding comes out clean. Serve hot or cold. Serves 10-12.
Spinach pie, individually presented in small bite sized portions.
UPDATE ON JOHN AND ELIZABETH By Dianne Snodgrass HADDON ESTAUGH!
ur mannequins' exhibit of early 18th century clothing styles appropriate for John and Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh will be taking part in Markeim Art Center's new exhibit entitled "Artistic Impressions of Haddonfield: A Tricentennial Celebration." Exhibit dates are August 17 through September 28.
This venture was made possible by Lauren Carl and Dianne Snodgrass. Many thanks to Jay West owner Sue Maslowski, who displayed our John and Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh in her store’s front window during June and July. Our mannequins sure get around!
John and Elizabeth are delighted to be able to visit yet another Haddonfield venue. More people with different interests will be exposed to our educational explanations of clothing styles and be able to appreciate the vast differences from then until now.
HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF HADDONFIELD Officers
Immediate Past President
Term expires 2014
Elizabeth Albert Charlene Creed Rob Kugler Kathryn Raiczyk
Term expires 2015
Jim Hansen Kenneth Kramer Sue Maslowski Pat Peacock
Term expires 2016
Pamela Chase Kim Custer Kate Hilgen Dave Stavetski
Committee Chairs Buildings Collections - General Curator of Dolls Community Outreach Curator of Tools Education -
Charles Chelotti Dianne Snodgrass Shirley Raynor
Library - Kathy Tassini Long Range Planning -
Kim Custer and Charlene Creed
Membership - Barbara Hilgen
Publications - Doug Rauschenberger
Grounds - Robert Marshall
Publicity/Newsletter - Dave Stavetski Rentals - Lee Albright Volunteer Management - Kathryn Raiczyk
October 26th Greenfield Hall 6-9 p.m.
October 30th Greenfield Hall After the Parade Children $2 Adults $3 Tickets sold at door
Webmaster - Kenneth Kramer www.haddonfieldhistory.org
By Nina Wallace
n March, letters were mailed to members with expiring membership on or around April 30th. Thank you to the following 179 members for continuing to loyally support the Historical Society through their renewed memberships. We would also like to welcome three brand new members! In addition, a heartfelt thank you to Alice Schmidt, one of our loyal long-time members who became a Lifetime Member in July with her generous donation. Per Aliceâ€™s request, her donation will be earmarked towards improving and maintaining our beautiful garden.
NEW LIFETIME MEMBER
Alice Schmidt WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
Marian Garrison, Mary and Rick Jaros, Katherine Marchildon RENEWED MEMBERS
We appreciate your membership!
Raymond and Roberta Acampora, Lee Albright, Carl and Marlene Alexoff, Lawrence E. Alff, Elizabeth S. Anderson, Ken and Karen Andres, Kristen and William Armstrong, Thomas Baird, Jill O'Keefe Ballard, Mary T. Bauer, Kathryn G. Bell, Charles Benson, Janet H. Birdsall, David W. Bowers, Nancy and Robert Bowman, Helen C. Boyle, Brian and Lauren Breen, Debra Brodsky, Joan C. Brown, Rebecca and Michael Bryan, Maryann Campling, James H. Carll, Yvonne Carpenter, Carol H. Carty, Virginia Chain, Frederick Chase, Pamela L. Chase, Nancy Chorpita, Alexander A. Colalillo, Gordon F. Compton, Charlene and Ronald Creed, John Crowe, Richard Cunliffe, Robert and Diana Cunningham, Kimberly J. Custer, Dorothy Daly, William G. DeLong, Loretta DiMedio, Gwynn DiPilla, Joseph and Linda Dombrowski, Virginia and John Dowd, Sophie P. Dubiel, Alan H. Dugan, Pauline Durand, Francis Du Vernois, Mary Ebert, Nathaniel R. Elliott, Rebecca Elmuccio, Guy Elzey, Jr., Louise Z. Farr, Amanda Figland, Steven and Joy Horwitz Fram, Jessica R. Frankel, Joan A. Gamble, Lloyd D. Gardner, Esther Gauntt, Paula and Jay Goldberg, Michael Gotwols, Joseph F. Haro, Sheila Hawkes, Don and Judy Hensel, Dorothy Herbert, Nils G. Herdelin, Jr., William Herrmann, Ann Herrmann-Sauer, Paul M. Heston, Robert H. Hilgen, Scott Hoover, Pete Hulleberg, David and Susan Hunter, Edward J. Huth, Beth Reeves Jones, Margaret L. Kadar, Myra Kain, John and Ann Kearney, Francis X. Keeley, Dennis Kelleher, John Kelley, Darlene Kelly, William L. Koelling, Miriam S. Korfhage, Gene Kosich, Helen L. Laird, Jean Lawes, Lois O. LeBlanc, John and Debra Leonard, George S. Leone, Andrew D. Levering, Marcia R. Lugger, Robert J. Lynch, Lauren Macrae, Carol C. Malcarney, Courtney Malcarney, Warren G. Mang, Christopher Martin, Susan Maslowski, Nancy A. Mattis, Constance McCaffrey, Michele A. Miano, Frances R. Miller, Kathleen Miller, Phyllis Miller, Janet Hallahan and Richard Montegna, Tom and Kim Moon, Jamie A. Mullen, Ralph W. Newkirk, Thomas and Cecelia Nicolosi, Linda L. Nussey, Robert Oberholzer, T.W. and Cynthia Page, Pat Peacock, Josephine Pecorelli, Helen Polk Peitz, Betty Lee Phillips, Cynthia Plucinski, Robin Potter, Edward J. Poynton, Jr., Mary T. Previte, Shirley Bailey Raynor, Margaret Rees, Thomas H. and Dorcas B. Reilly, Warren A. Reintzel, Barbara Smith Rell, Dorothy A. Resnick, Charlotte K. Rexon, William and Molly Reynolds, Joseph Riggs, Neal P. Rochford, James Rohlfing, Frederick J. Rohloff, Dorothy E. Rouh, Mary F. Rugarber, Frances Rushton, Nancy and Donald Sabia, Albert and Jean Sandecki, Lucile B. Sayre, Paul W. Schopp, Rodney N. Searle, Marizita Seher, Anthony Sherman, Betty S. Shimberg, George Shivers, Carol W. Smith, Megan A. Smolenyak, James B. Soffer, David and Barbara Stavetski, David A. Stedman, David M. Stewart, Bob & Kathi Stokes, Garry and Sara Jane Stone, Evelyn A. Streed, Miriam Sullivan, Joanne R. Tarditi, Dinny Traver, Robert J. Twitchell, Patricia Underwood, Rosario J. Vecchio, Patsy H. Vogdes, Emilie H. Walker, Donald C. Wallace, Karen Weaver, Miriam P. Weber, Steven Weinstein, Barbara Westergaard, Franklin Wezner, Sandra White-Grear, Marion C. Willits, Augustus Winder, Frank and Norie Wisniewski, Richard and Jeanette Woehr, Susan Wright, Curt, Denise and Elyse Wrzeszczynski, Edward and Lorraine Ziminski, Helene Zimmer-Loew
From The Museum Cellars
FROM ONE HISTORICAL INSIGHT TO ANOTHER
s promised in my previous column regarding the W.D. Haines cast-iron drill plate made in Haddonfield, “when the research is finished we will provide you with the additional insights that it brings.”
Well, my research came very rapidly on Monday, June 10, when I entered our library to start my investigation. The librarians must have known why I was there, having read my last column “Historical Insights”. They knew I’d be coming in soon. Kathy Tassini jumped to the computer…which also explains now why Jim Tassini had told me, somewhat breathlessly a few days earlier, to contact Fred Rexon ASAP! Kathy now had the W.D. Haines family up on her computer! It turns out that the Rexon family and the Haines family had been back-fence neighbors in Haddonfield; Haines at 110 Ellis St. and Rexon at 40 Walnut St. Fred Rexon had originally gone into business with a son of W.D. Haines to form Precision Parts Company, Inc. Many of us octogenarians remember when they relocated from that big barn behind the Ellis St. home to a building behind the Bell Telephone building on Kings Highway. Peter’s Candy was in that same block of stores just east of Tanner St., as was the Wright Hardware Store. The first description of Wm. D. Haines’ occupation was as a “Pattern Maker” which explains all of that lettering on the plate. It was cast at the Camden Foundry. They called it an end casting. This was all back in the first decades of the 20th Century as Haines’ job classification also changed to “Manufacturer”.
By Don Wallace Now here’s another insight when you learn that our present and very capable volunteer with me today in the Museum Cellars apprenticed with and worked for Precision Parts Company in Haddonfield and subsequent moves for fifty-one years, from 1950 to 2001. Known to us as Don Webb, “Tool and Die Maker”… and superior volunteer. He worked for Fred Rexon for 51 years. So this all started in the big barn behind 110 Ellis St., opposite Fowler Ave. where, in the beginning, the biggest part of the business was lawn mower blade sharpening. Reel type lawn mowers were about to transition to rotary and with that came noise pollution. Just yesterday my wife Caryl called my attention to a reel mower being used across Farwood Road from us and remarked how quiet it was here in 2013! We have an old reel mower in the Museum Cellars and, to show developments in tools, we also have a more recent version. No rotary mowers…too modern. CORRECTION: That was no reel type mower that Caryl could barely hear across Farwood Road. It was a battery operated, 12" Rotary mower EM5.1...for small lots. Certainly "green", and the first battery operated mower that I've seen. Progress in tool development continues? Twice the number of steps required!
THANK YOU CORINNE BRANDT!
his summer, our Collections Department was once again lucky to have the services of volunteer intern Corinne Brandt. Corinne, a 2006 graduate of Haddonfield Memorial High School, is currently a graduate student at Bard Graduate Center in New York City studying decorative arts, material culture and design history. For the last few years, during her summer and school breaks, Corinne has been entering artifact details from the very old and fragile HSH Acquisitions Book into our Past Perfect database program. A heartfelt thank you to Corinne for doing this painstaking and often tedious work. Her effort is much appreciated!
The indefatigable Corinne at work in our office!
News from Our Neighbors
EVENTS AROUND TOWN The King's Road at Haddonfield Plays and Players
Haunted Haddonfield Tours
October 18th & 19th October 25th & 26th Tour Originates at Greenfield Hall 343 Kings Highway East
Adults $10 Children (3-12) $5 Tickets Available at: The Historical Society 856 429-7375 The Public Library 856 429-1304 The Haddonfield Information Center 856 216-7253
Written in 1963 by Haddonfield's own Harry T. Kaufmann, The King's Road follows the lives of Mary Hopkins, Joshua Cresson, Jonas Cattell and others as they discover patriotism, strengthen their faith and fall in love amidst the intrusion of the British and Hessian armies. With beautiful melo dies like " W o n d e r l a n d " , "Friendship Fire Company No. 1" and the spirited anthem "This is the Land Where Freedom Dwells", The King's Road is filled with singing, dancing, marching and merriment. This show has run only twice before, once for the town's 250th celebration, and once for the nation's bicentennial. Now, in participation with the Haddonfield 300 celebration, The King's Road will delight a new generation of audiences. Tickets for this not-to-be-missed production are only $10 and can be ordered from the Haddonfield Plays and Players website www.haddonfieldplayers.com, or by calling the box office at 856 429-8139. The show will be performed at the Haddonfield Fortnightly on Oct 3, 4 and 5 at 8pm, and a matinee on Oct 5 at 1pm. For this special engagement, you may present your ticket at participating Haddonfield restaurants to receive a 10% discount on the day of the production, including The Bistro at
“Haddy”, Haddonfield’s own Hadrosaurus Foulkii dinosaur and topic of a lecture co-sponsored by HSH on September 15th at the Haddonfield Fortnightly.
Haddonfield, The British Chip Shop, Da Soli and Jersey Java. The list keeps growing so check the website for updates. Also, the Haddonfield Information Center will offer a 10% discount on all Haddonfield town-wide gift certificates.
Come Learn about Haddy As part of Haddonfield’s tricentennial celebration, The Haddon Fortnightly and The Historical Society of Haddonfield are partnering to bring an exciting program to the community. The event will take place at The Haddonfield Fortnightly, 301 Kings Highway East, on Sunday, September 15 at 2 pm. Ned S. Gilmore (Collection Manager from The Academy of Natural Science of Drexel University), Butch Brees (Hatch Committee Chairperson), and John Giannotti (Sculptor) will share aspects of their expertise regarding Haddy (Hadrosaurus Foulkii), Haddonfield’s own dinosaur. The combined lecture will cover all aspects of the discovery, the dinosaur site, the visitors and the development of the sculpture. The event is open to the public and free of charge. Refreshments will be served. For information contact Marie DiMatties at firstname.lastname@example.org or 856 4289290.
THIRD GRADERS VISIT GREENFIELD HALL By Pam Chase
reenfield Hall was visited by Haddonfield third graders during May and June. Children from Elizabeth Haddon, Central, and Tatem elementary schools walked with teachers and parents to our site on Kings Highway. Our docents met each group at the front door and began a trip back in time viewing artifacts from Haddonfield’s 300-year history. A special highlight was a PowerPoint presentation prepared by Kim Custer on our collection of pieces pertaining to Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh. Our upstairs front room was transformed into a darkened theatre and display stage. Glass cases contained original objects and documents such as Elizabeth’s cape, or mantua as it was called then; her family silver, engraved with her initials; her marriage certificate; her kitchen apron, embroidered with her intials and the date 1699; and her impressively large house key. Eager faces searched for the markings on spoons and Elizabeth’s initials on the very old apron. After viewing the displays, students sat on the carpeted floor to view the PowerPoint and listen to our commentary.
An added attraction this year were the period costumes for Elizabeth and John Estaugh. To complement that display Jean Lawes and Dianne Snodgrass demonstrated their crafts of spinning and weaving respectively. The children handled fleece from various sources (sheep and lamas), tried carding the fibers to straighten them, and watched as Jean treadled the spinning wheel and turned the rolls into yarn. Then Dianne explained the design and workings of a loom, while at the same time casting the shuttle to and fro. Each week’s tours produced another gorgeous handcrafted scarf! We received lovely thank you notes from the classes – many remarking on the show of “old things” from Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh and the “cool” outfits and “hard work” to make clothes in the old days. Many thanks to Kim Custer for the special PowerPoint show and to our faithful docents: Jean Lawes, Dianne Snodgrass, Rebecca Bryan, Liz Albert, Kate Hilgen, Pat Peacock, Marcia Lugger, Linda Nussey, Dorothy Daly, Debbie Partheimer, and Lee Albright. If you are interested in joining our number please contact Pam Chase: email@example.com.
Elizabeth Haddon Estaugh’s impressively large house key, one of many original artifacts viewed by Haddonfield third graders on their tour of Greenfield Hall.
RHOADS TEAM PROJECT CELEBRATES HADDONFIELD’S 300TH ANNIVERSARY IN THE FIELD! Here are some of the highlights of spring 2013 done in the spirit of hands-on learning.
Special Earthday celebration at Crows Woods in April pictured Dr. Nate Rice, Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University; Kim Custer, project chair; Samuel N. Rhoads, 19th century naturalist; and Julie Beddingfield, Haddonfield Environmental Commission and Sustainably Haddonfield chair.
Afterschool presentation to Ms. Walter’s Nature Club in May. We enjoyed sharing our bird stories!
On location in Mrs. Rogers 5th grade classroom in Central School in May. Our traveling exhibit was enjoyed by the students. Special thanks to Katherine Montegna , our Rhoads Team intern and HMHS student for her assistance.
The Historical Society of Haddonfield
Non-Profit Org. U.S. Postage PAID Bellmawr, NJ
343 Kings Highway East Haddonfield, NJ 08033
Permit # 1627
Addressee or Current Resident
Preserve our past. . . Leave a legacy for the future!
Phone: 856-429-7375 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
GREENFIELD HALL HOURS Monday, Wednesday & Friday afternoons from 1 - 4 p.m. First Sunday of the month 1 - 3 p.m.
RESEARCH LIBRARY HOURS in the Samuel Mickle House Tuesday & Thursday mornings 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. First Sunday of the month 1 -3 p.m. SPECIAL HOURS/TOURS BY APPOINTMENT email@example.com (856) 429-7375
“Like” us on Facebook! E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter - HSH@HSH1914
Holidays Are Coming Order Your Haddonfield Cheese Boards Early! Choose from these 5 different popular designs of Haddonfield’s history. Give a gift to commemorate our 300th anniversary.
20% of each sale will go to the Historical Society of Haddonfield
Haddonfield Train Station
Elizabeth Haddon Plantation
Indian King Tavern
Samuel Mickle House also available
Polhemus Crafts wood burned cheese boards are very popular gifts or home decorations. The boards are constructed of water resistant hardwood with a non-toxic sealant/coating. After each image is burned into the board, several coats of “salad bowl finish” are applied to reseal and protect the board. Orders take approximately 3 weeks depending on order backlog. For more information, please contact Heidi Polhemus at 609-714-1617 or email@example.com Polhemus Crafts www.polhemuscrafts.com
Elizabeth Haddon Plantation
Indian King Tavern
Samuel Mickle House
Large cheeseboard (17.75”X11.5”)
Medium cheeseboard (11.25”X9”)
Small cheeseboard (8.75”X6.5”)
Prices include tax. Make checks out to “Polhemus Crafts” and mail to:
Historical Society of Haddonfield, 343 Kings Highway E., Haddonfield, NJ 08033 You will be called when your cheeseboard is ready for pickup at the Historical Society.