The 1891 Allan and Lulu Cameron house at 1126 Church (left) and the 1901-1908 Lucas Terrace complex at 1407 Broadway (right) are both open to visitors during May’s Galveston Historic Homes Tour.
GALVESTON HISTORIC HOMES TOUR Dormers, Gables, Balustrades and a Widow’s Walk Story by Susie Tommaney | Photos by Illumine Photographic Services, courtesy of Galveston Historical Foundation
he 45th Annual Galveston Historic Homes Tour runs the first two weekends in May with an inside look at eight historic properties, as well as related programming that includes History on Tap dinners, a presentation on PostModernist architecture, Mother’s Day breakfast at Menard Hall and the return of Galveston Historical Foundation’s administrative offices to the 1858-59 Hendley Building.
HOMES ON THE TOUR The 1891 Allan and Lulu Cameron house at 1126 Church is a two-story Victorian designed by English-born architect Henry Collier Cooke of Bourgeois Nitchner & Cooke. Notice the asymmetrical façade with double wraparound galleries, a decorative balustrade and a widow’s walk The 1901-1908 Lucas Terrace complex at 1407 Broadway was built by brick mason Thomas Lucas, who used salvaged bricks from his apartment building that had been destroyed by the 1900 Storm. The property features two connected
44 house& home | May 2019 | www.houstonhouseandhome.net
gable-front three-story buildings, while separate servant’s quarters can be found across the courtyard. The 1873 August Roemer tenant house at 1416 Sealy welcomes guests with a double door entry and transom, turned balusters and square porch columns. This one-and-one-half story Gulf Coast cottage features triple dormers and was built by August Roemer. The 1915 Peter and Augusta Nielson house at 1711 Rosenberg Avenue (25th Street) was inspired by the Arts and Crafts movement. The two-story brick house was built by Danish-born merchant tailor Peter Nielson for his wife, Augusta. The circa 1881 James and Amelia Byrnes house at 2113 Ball is still in the process of being restored. Two years after it was built, contractor James Byrnes purchased the property and began a series of improvements in 1884, 1885, 1886 and again in 1895. The current owners, who purchased the home in 2013, are in the process of rehabilitating the property.
The Complete Resource Magazine for Your Home in Houston