10things by Alexis Meadows & Jackie McFarland
10 things you might not know about...
Kirsten Coe Yes it's true, “know” and “Coe” rhyme, which makes Kirsten the ideal fit for this column. The California native’s extensive international travel schedule certainly crowns her a global citizen. Fresh off a trip to Europe, where she was a member of the winning team of the 100th Nations Cup of Germany at CSIO5* Mannheim aboard the chestnut powerhouse Baronez, Coe recently competed at the Longines Masters of Los Angeles. She will continue to show on the West Coast through November, with stops at Del Mar, Thermal and Las Vegas. As the daughter of trainer and USEF Show Jumping Young Rider Chef D'Equipe DiAnn Langer, Coe grew up on the back of a horse and was a consistent winner in all three disciplines – hunters, jumpers and equitation – before becoming an assistant trainer at Andre Dignelli’s Heritage Farm until 2010. The experience and knowledge she garnered throughout her riding career is apparent, as she has been successful at the top levels on several different mounts. In 2011 she was named Rolex One To Watch after she jumped up 137 places in the World Rankings. Working with her husband and partner Ilan Ferder at Ilan Ferder Stables, Coe has a string of talented horses: Baronez, Czardas 30, Warrant and California 62 that she is piloting to top finishes as she continues her ascent in the show jumping world.
1. Her favorite foods are vegetables, and she prides herself
6. She appreciates a nice pair of shoes and has an
2. Black is her go-to color, a startling contrast to her
7. Favorite clothing brand: Ariat
on being a healthy eater.
cheerful personality. “It’s a joke among all my friends. Whenever I’m not riding I’m always in black.”
8. Alternate reality career: “I probably would have done something in the arts and gone to art school.”
3. The California roots come to play when she’s on vacation – she prefers anywhere with a beach.
9. She's great in an impromptu interview. At Longines
Masters in LA, blogger Susan Irby turned the video camera on and asked her about healthy diets for horses. Coe was articulate and charming.
4. However, her dream trip includes a very warm jacket. “I would like to go to Nepal. I’ve never climbed any kind of mountain in my life but I have this obsession with Mount Everest and mountain climbing.”
5. She’s a morning person, preferring to get to the barn
She’s an avid reader on a variety of subjects. Give her a good book and she is ready to dive in.
early to ride.
Kirsten Coe & California 62; Photo © Phelps Media