Page 1

H.O.P.E Superjobs Family Contact Centre

“Our contact centre is the perfect setting for supervised contact�

HOPE Superjobs Child Contact Centre is a place where the non-resident child can enjoy contact with one (or both) parents, and with other family members in a neutral and safe environment. Our centre is staffed by qualified and experienced staff and we offer ‘Supported’ and ‘Supervised’ contact at our venues as well as other locations. We are experienced and skilled at working in partnership, particularly with local authorities and CAFCASS (Children and Families Courts Advisory and Support Service), courts and service users and we believe that this maximises the benefit that our services bring to families. Our supervisors are able to observe the interaction between the children and their parents and prepare comprehensive reports based on these observations. These reports are used to provide supporting information as evidence in court for the judge who will decide on the child/childrens future. Hope embraces the Every Child Matters outcomes framework, by ensuring that this underpins the services we provide. Above all, it is a place where children can relax, have fun and start to build a better relationship with their family members.

What is a contact centre?

What is a Children’s Contact Service? Children’s Contact Services help children from separated families to establish or maintain a relationship with the parent they do not live with. When families separate and the transfer of children from one parent to another is a problem, a Children’s Contact Service provides a neutral venue for safe changeovers. Where necessary, or as directed by a court order, the Service can supervise the time children spend with a parent or other family members. Sometimes this is because of allegations of violence.

Who can go to a Children’s Contact Service? Separated families can be helped by a Children’s Contact Service. You can use a Children’s Contact Service whether or not you have ever married or lived with your child’s other parent.

When do I use a Children’s Contact Service? You can use a Children’s Contact Service voluntarily or because you have been ordered by a court to use the Service. The court can order that the handover of children, or the time children spend with a parent or another family member, be supervised.

A warm and welcoming environment where you can spend quality time with your family.

How can a contact centre benefit me and my family? We firmly believe that communication is of utmost importance for children and parents to build a strong and open relationship. Overcoming obstacles, discussing and reaching agreements are some of the ways our contact centre can be useful to families. By giving families and children the opportunity to communicate in a friendly, safe and secure environment where they can feel comfortable and at ease, means that the welfare of the child/children is always the main focus during any session. We want to help and assist families so that they can begin to move in a positive direction. Here are some of the ways a contact centre can be useful: •

It is a mutual location for parents to meet to help them reach agreements regarding arrangements for their children.

For children to have contact with family members whom they do not live with.

Provides a safe, easily accessible and welcoming environment where families are encouraged to re-establish and develop their relationships.

Improving the quality of family relationships by encouraging and supporting parents with making family contact arrangements.

Advising and providing access to family support services to further assist families referred for supervised contact.

Our contact centre is spacious.

Frequently Asked Questions ..? What is supervised contact?

What is a supervised contact visit? When a child needs to have a safe, controlled situation in which to spend time with their other parent or a family member, the visit can be supervised by a Children’s Contact Service worker.

What happens during supervised contact? The visits should be a happy time for the child. Our Children’s Contact centre has a range of toys and activities available for the child and parent to use. A service worker will observe the interaction between a child and his or her parent at all times. In separated families there are times when a child needs to be ‘handed over’ and ‘handed back’ to the parent or other family member who does not have the day-to-day care of them. In cases where either parent is not comfortable with meeting face-to-face, a service worker will facilitate or supervise the changeover.

Will my child be safe? If you are concerned about your child’s safety during the visits, discuss this with us before your first visit. We have arrangements in place to protect the safety of our clients and staff. If you have concerns about your safety or the safety of your children, you should let the service staff know as soon as possible.

Will my child be safe?

What should I tell my child about supervised contact? Talk to your child and tell them where they will be meeting or spending time with their other parent or family member. Describe it as a safe and friendly place and you can arrange a visit to the contact centre before supervised changeovers or visits start. Make sure the child knows who they are going to see, and for how long, and who will be picking them up after the visit to take them home.

Will the supervision be neutral? Our service workers do not take sides and their focus is always on the child and not on the dispute that parents or other family members may have.

What will it cost?

How much will it cost?

We charge fees for changeovers and supervised visits at our Contact Centre. If you are on a low income or experiencing financial difficulties please let us know and we can advise you how you can access the service by applying for help from your local authority.

Courts and Children’s Contact Services If you decide to go to court for a decision about your children, the court may order you to participate in supervised changeovers, or for the time that a parent or other family member spends with a child to be supervised at a specific Children’s Contact Service.

How does it work with the courts?

You may go back to court if the court order expires, or if we are unable to continue to provide our services. If we recommend a variation of the order and you and the other parent agree in writing to new arrangements for spending time with your child, you may need to return to court for consent orders to be made. A court can order a report from a Contact Centre service provider at any time. Reports can provide the court with information about the time spent with the child at the service and can assist the court to determine whether to allow unsupervised visits.

Contact Centre Rules Parents attending the centre agree to abide by a clear set of rules, and leave their differences outside. Both parents may wish to visit the Centre in advance of the first contact visit and this can be arranged with our centre. 1.

The contact session will start at its allocated time and no excuses will be accepted for lateness.


Parents must arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of contact session. If parents arrive late the contact session will not take place.


No aggressive behaviour towards the children or the supervisors will be tolerated, and any aggression will be reported and the contact session may be terminated.


Parents and children will be under close observation whilst the session is taking place.


No mobile phones should be used during the sessions.


Professionalism will be maintained at all the times and confidentiality is a high priority.


The health and safety of the children are paramount and if our supervisors suspect that a child is at risk, then the contact session may be cancelled.


Children are not allowed to be taken outside of the contact centre, unless there is a written agreement by the social worker.


If the parents appear to have a weapon on them, the session will not go ahead and the police and social services will be informed of this.

10. If the parents appear to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, the session will not go ahead and social services will be informed. 11. Parents must not ask the children for details of where they are staying. 12. Parents must be aware that the supervisors are not the carers, they are only there to observe and to take notes.

How to access our services Referrals are made to the centre by Social Workers, the courts, parents and also family solicitors. The Contact Centre is open 7 days a week from 9am to 6pm, outside of these times special arrangements can be made for a session to be held.  We have a centre co-ordinator and a pool of 20+ supervisors who have completed a CRB check and Child Protection Training. We currently provide contact supervision for many families within many London boroughs and also some private clients. To discuss a possible referral contact the co-ordinator on 0208 553 0827 or 07932 947100.

Useful Contacts The Centre for Separated Families T: 0845 478 6360 E: W:

Families Need Fathers T: 020 7613 5060 E: W:

Cafcass T: 0844 353 3350 W:

Grandparents Association T: 01279 428040 W:

Child Maintenance Options T: 0800 988 0988 W:

Grandparents Plus T: 020 8981 8002 W:

Child Law Advice Line Freephone: 08088 020 008 W:

Mumsnet W:

Gingerbread T: 0800 018 5026(M-F) E: W:

National Family Mediation T: 01392 271610 E: W:

How to Contact Us

Please contact us for more information or to arrange a visit or discuss a referral. T: 0208 553 0827 F: 0208 478 0469 M: 07932 947100 E: W:

Contact Addresses 28-32 Cranbrook Road Ilford, Essex, IG1 4NE Map Location A

1b Balfour Road, Ilford Essex, IG1 4HP Map Location B

Working in partnership with many London Boroughs

Hope SuperJobs Family Contact Centre  

Booklet for our Contact Centre in London

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you