Page 56

Academic Regulations - Credits, Grades & Exams

2. The student obtains a request form from the Records Office. 3. The student presents the request to the Division Chair who interviews the student and signs and forwards the request to the appropriate Dean for processing. 4. The student will complete the examination prepared for the course at a time set by the examiner. 5. Upon completion of the examination, the examiner records the result on the student’s record. The “CE” grade is assigned if the student earns credit through Credit by Examination. To earn credit, a student must pass the examination with the equivalent of a “C” grade or higher. The “N” grade is assigned if the student fails to earn credit through Credit by Examination. 6. Students will be charged for a course challenged through Credit by Examination at 50% of the prevailing tuition and fee regardless of the outcome of the examination.

Course Waivers and Substitutions Career and Technical Education Programs: A student seeking to waive or substitute courses must see an Academic Counselor to complete the Request for Course Waiver/Substitution for Career and Technical Education Programs. The Academic Counselor will conduct a credit/progress check with the student to verify that the substitute course is appropriate and not being used to satisfy other requirements. A transcript and course description (for non-Honolulu Community College courses only) must be attached to EACH request and both the counselor and student sign the form. The form will be submitted to the Discipline Curriculum Liaison, Division Chair of the student’s major, and Division Chair of the academic area for comments and recommendations, then to the Dean of the student’s program for approval. The form will then be forwarded to the Records Office. If the waiver or substitution is approved, it will be noted on the student’s academic record, and the student will be notified of the approval or disapproval. Liberal Arts Program: A student must request a Liberal Arts Course Waiver or Substitution Form through an Academic Counselor. The Registrar approves substitutions for Liberal Arts majors under the following conditions: • Course waivers and substitutions may be made only in the area of Honolulu CC electives. Students may substitute other Honolulu CC courses if the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs or University College Dean agrees that the substitution will receive applicable transfer credit at the schools to which the student intends to transfer. • The substitution must not conflict with other requirements stated in the Honolulu CC catalog for the year used for graduation (total credits, GPR, numbering, area requirements, writing intensive requirements, lab requirements). • The substitution must satisfy the transfer AA degree definition of the University of Hawai‘i Articulation Policy. Approval will be noted on the student’s academic record, and the student will be notified of the decision. Note: Approval for a Course Waiver/Substitution will not be granted prior to the successful completion of a course.

Repeating a Course Students may repeat any course in which a D, F, N, W, or L was received. Credit is allowed only once for a repeated course. The first and all subsequent grades will remain on the student’s Academic Record and all grades will be used to compute the grade point average (G.P.A.) and to determine academic status. • Certain courses may be repeated for additional credits. The course description in the Catalog indicates whether or not a course is repeatable for additional credit. • If a student inappropriately repeats a course for which a “C” or higher is earned, (i.e., in circumstances other than those described above), neither the credits nor grade points will be used to compute the G.P.A. Special Provision For Repeating Writing Intensive (WI) Courses: Students who receive a grade of “C” or higher in a course previously not designated as WI are not allowed to repeat the course to satisfy the WI requirement for the A.A. degree. Special Provision For Repeating English (Except LSK 30): Students who receive a D, F, N, or W the first time they take the course may repeat the course without written approval. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their Academic Counselor or previous instructor prior to repeating the course.



2017-2018 College Catalog