Page 47

Academic Regulations - Admissions

Persons who are citizens of any Pacific Island or Asian district, Commonwealth, Territory, or Insular Jurisdiction, State, or Nation which does not provide public institutions of higher learning are eligible to pay 150% of the resident tuition rate. These currently include the following: American Samoa Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Cook Islands Federated States of Micronesia Futuna Kiribati Nauru New Caledonia Niue

Republic of Belau Republic of the Marshall Islands Solomon Islands Tokelau Tonga Tuvalu Vanuatu Wallis

Misrepresentation: A student or prospective student who intentionally or willfully misrepresents any fact on any form or document intended for use in determination of residency status for tuition purposes will be subject to the regular disciplinary measures of the University of Hawai‘i. Appeal Process: Residency decisions may be appealed by submission of The Residency Classification form and any supporting documentation by the deadline. Students desiring to initiate a residency appeal should contact the Residency Officer (HonCC Registrar) for more information on the appeal process, applicable tuition payments, and deadlines. Appeals are heard by the Residency Appeal Board.

Admission of International Students International applicants must comply with all regulations of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as well as with applicable policy of the Board of Regents of the University of Hawai‘i and the policies of Honolulu Community College. For the purpose of clarifying requirements for admission, international students who are not U.S. citizens and who have not been admitted to live in the U.S. permanently, are designated as non-immigrants. Honolulu Community College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. International students must meet the General Admissions Requirements as well as the following special admissions requirements by June 15 for Fall semester and November 1 for Spring semester. All required forms can be downloaded from our website at 1. Have official test results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or EIKEN test score sent directly to the College. Scores must be from a test taken within the last two years. Acceptable scores for admission are 500 and above on the paper-based test, 173 and above on the computer-based test, and 61 and above on the iBT test. Applications and/or requests for scores to be sent to the College should be made by writing EIKEN or to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, 08540, or by contacting the American Consulate in the applicant’s country. Applicants in the following categories are exempt from taking the test: a. Applicants whose native language is English. b. Applicants who have completed either three years of high school education or 30 semester credits of college level work (30 transfer semester credits for the Associate in Arts degree program) from an accredited college or university in the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada or New Zealand. c. Applicants transferring from accredited colleges and universities in the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada or New Zealand, who have completed the equivalent of freshman level English (English 100) with a grade of “C’’ or better. d. Applicants who have attended American, British or Canadian “international schools’’ in foreign countries for three years may qualify for exemption upon request. 2. Submit a System Application Form for Admission. 3. Submit a Supplemental Information Form for International Students. 4. Submit a required health clearance documentation (see additional instructions under Health Requirements for Admissions on the next page under Foreign non-immigrant students). 5. Submit evidence of ability to pay all expenses either personally or through a sponsor.



2017-2018 College Catalog  
2017-2018 College Catalog