Page 46

Academic Regulations - Admissions

Other indicia, such as permanent employment or the leasing of a dwelling in Hawai‘i may apply, but no single act is sufficient to establish residency in the State of Hawai‘i. Other legal factors involved in making a residency determination include that: 1. The twelve months of continuous residence in Hawai‘i shall begin on the date upon which the first overt action (see indicia above) is made to make Hawai‘i one’s permanent residence. For Permanent Residents (green card holders) the twelve months begins on the date on which the Permanent Residency status was granted by Immigration. 2. Residency in Hawai‘i and residency in another place cannot be held simultaneously. 3. Presence in Hawai‘i primarily to attend an institution of higher learning does not create resident status. Continued presence in Hawai‘i during vacation periods and occasional periods of interruption of the course of study does not itself overcome this presumption. 4. The residency of unmarried students who are minors follows that of the parents or of the legal guardian. Marriage emancipates a minor. 5. Resident status, once acquired, will be lost by future voluntary action of the resident inconsistent with such status. However, Hawai‘i residency will not be lost solely because of absence from the State while a member of the United States Armed Forces, while engaged in navigation, or while a student at any institution of learning. These considerations do not exhaust all of the factors that affect the determination of residency. For more information, consult the “Rules and Regulations Governing Determination of Residency as Applied to Tuition Payments and Admission at All Institutions Under the Jurisdiction of the Board of Regents of the University of Hawai‘i.”

Non-Resident Students Once classified as a non-resident, a student continues in this status at the College until submitting satisfactory evidence to the Records Office that proves otherwise. Non-resident students who enter any campus of the University of Hawai‘i may not be allowed to change his/her residency status from non-resident to resident during any period in which he/she: 1. Enrolled for 6 credits or more at any higher education institution(s) in Hawai‘i; 2. Was absent from Hawai‘i for more than 30 days per year during school vacation periods; 3. Received student financial assistance based on residency in another state; or 4. Was a dependent of nonresident parent(s) or legal guardian. The maximum number of non-resident students that can be accepted by the College is limited by Board of Regents policy. Students classified as non-residents are required to pay non-resident tuition.

Statutory Exemptions Non-residents may be allowed to pay resident tuition if they qualify as one of the following: 1. Members of the Hawai‘i National Guard or Hawai‘i-based Reserves. (A non-resident application fee of $25 is required at the time of application.) 2. United States military personnel and their authorized dependents (as defined by the Armed Services) during the period such personnel are stationed in Hawai‘i on active duty. 3. Full-time employees of the University of Hawai‘i and their spouses and legal dependents (as defined under Internal Revenue Service rules). 4. East-West Center student grantees pursuing baccalaureate or advanced degrees. 5. Hawaiians, descendents of the aboriginal peoples that inhabited the Hawaiian Islands and exercised sovereignty in the Hawaiian Islands in 1778. (A non-resident application fee of $25 is required at the time of application.)



2017-2018 College Catalog  
2017-2018 College Catalog