Performance Level: 1- Below Standards 2- Working Towards Standards 3- Meeting Standards
3rd grade 12. Make connections between an objectâ€™s mass, volume and density.
11. Carry out an experiment on sink or float.
10. Understand that equal volumes of different substances generally have different mass & weight.
9. Make connection about how energy and matter interact to affect the state of matter. (water cycle)
8. Draw appropriate conclusions based on background knowledge, observations, and class discussions.
6. Generate a testable hypothesis and plan an experiment to test the properties of matter using the scientific method. 7. Record observations, create charts & graphs and analyze data using science notebook.
5. Describe physical and chemical changes including changes in states of matter.
4. Illustrate how molecules are arranged in different states of matter.
3. Identify the three states of matter and the basic properties of matter in each of those states.
2. Explain the difference between mass and weight using age appropriate vocabulary.
1. Understand that everything contains matter, that matter takes up space, and matter has mass.
HHH Science Teacher Name- ___________________ Quarter 2 â€“ Matter
4- Exceeding Standards
REPORT CARD ALIGNMENT
VOCABULARY matter mass weight molecule solid liquid gas properties physical property chemical property energy chemical change physical change force buoyancy density volume
To determine quarterly performance level, please analyze the performance levels for each skill on the checklist. ACADEMIC SKILLS Uses inquiry and observation skills to generate hypotheses Applies skills: gathers, classifies, measures and records Communicate scientific ideas effectively using content specific vocabulary Makes generalizations, draws logical conclusions, analyzes and interprets data
Additional Materials *refer to science dept. wiki for teacher background and help with student misconceptions
RECOMMENDED ACTIVITIES What is Matter? (SB) Planetarium Field Trip (H)
Properties of Matter (SB) Matter and Its Properties (pt. 1) (US) Three States of Matter (SB)
Solids, Liquids and Gases (SB) Molecules in 3 States of Matter (SB) Matter and Its Properties (pt. 2) (US)
States of Matter Can Change (SB) Physical Changes in States of Matter (SB) The Magic Schoolbus Gets Ready, Set Dough (WV)
9 Activities Key (SB) science binder (WV) web based video (US) United Streaming (AS) assessment suggestion (H) Hook/Kick Off Suggestion (BK) Trade Book (TC) Teacher Created
1, 3, (4), (5), (8), 9, 10, 12
RECOMMENDED ACTIVITIES CHECKLIST SKILL
Review vocabulary Scientific method
ASSOCIATED CHECKLIST SKILLS 3, 5, 11 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 11 2,3 , 4, 8, 12
10 - 12
Measuring Matter (SB) What Does Water Look Like? (SB) Heat and Change in States of Matter (SB) Snowy Day Activity (SB) Heat & Matter (US) Discovery Center Field Trip Brian will provide pre-trip suggestions Clay Ball lab (part 1 & 2) (AS) Assessment Suggestions for effect of shape on volume (mass constant) and effect of mass & volume on density