Page 1

How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages? The first media technology I used for my research and planning was YouTube. I had to use YouTube to watch the different horror trailers so I could review them and post them on my blog. What was good about using YouTube was that it was easy to find clips of horror films and it plays the videos straight away. YouTube was also helpful because it allowed me to embed trailers onto my blog and help with my trailer reviews. YouTube helped me find the trailer for Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), (Toxic Avenger 1984) and Ed Gein (2000). When my trailer was YouTube it made it easier to get screenshots from my trailer and put onto my evaluation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsnx5U0NSTE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bktiHgK168g Another good website I used was IMDB as it gave me a lot of information about different films that I needed to research to get the right idea for my trailer and I used for information so I could write my film reviews about Land Of The Dead (2005) and Zombieland (2009)

Blogger is another website I used to put all of my coursework onto, it’s really easy to use but sometimes different posts got muddled up and were in the wrong places. I had to be careful to label each post correctly, and also use the “design” and “template” functions to design an easy-to-read blog. To make my evaluation look even more presentable I put it on to Issuu which makes it possible to flick through pages like a book, however the problem with Issuu is that it’s quite hard to work out how to upload your work from Issuu and embed it into Blogger. Flickr was another website I used to analyse my poster and magazine cover, but it was initially useful during the planning and research stages to decode one real life poster and real life magazine cover. This helped because it makes it easy to put all your information about one poster or magazine cover in a well organised page, and I could refer to the comments I added when I created my ancillary products.


A program I used throughout the production stage of my coursework was Adobe Photoshop. I used it for my poster, magazine cover and my mood board. It was really helpful because it allows you to convert pictures to make them look how you want them to and it’s easy to add your own images and text to make my poster and magazine cover to create a professional looking product. The different tools on Photoshop help you convert the image for example the magic wand: this enable you select part of the image and delete for example I needed to delete the background of the photo for my poster and just by clicking with this tool it deletes it to some extent. Another key part of Photoshop is being able to change the opacity of an image which works well as an effect as I used it for my magazine cover for an image that didn’t need to stand out so much. The eraser tool helped a lot as it allowed me to get a clean cut of my image because the magic wand’s general selection of colours meant I couldn’t clear them without taking off parts of the main image. Lastly, being able to use the change “fx” (or “blending options”) on the layers was also helpful, as using “drop shadow” or “stroke” helped the text stand out from the background.

Premiere Pro was the program we used to create out trailer and edit the clips that we had filmed. We had a bit of trouble at times using this because we needed to make the text of Keith at the end come towards the screen and it took us a while to do it as we were unsure how to use Premiere Pro and After Effects. Eventually we worked out how to download a copyright-free font from DaFont.com and then animate it using a filter on After Effects to make each word appear one at a time, which added to the drama. The rest of our editing was also easy to do with this program as you can import your clips straight on and start editing and being able to change clips to black and white one example where we changed a clip to black and white was for the flashbacks. You can also slow clips down or speed them up using the “speed/duration” tool. We used this tool to slow down the blood dripping off the knife to add more of a creepy affect. The digital HD camera we used helped film are clips easily as it was simple to use, and we used a tripod to ensure steady shots. We captured the .mts files using a USB cable and these could then be edited straight away on Premiere.


To help with my evaluation we did a focus group in class which was filmed after our trailer was screened. We then got feedback from the rest of our class either how to make it better or what was good about it, and we posted the focus group on YouTube so we had them always available. Then in the final evaluation stage, after we had made improvements to the trailer from the comments from the rest of the class, we had a final evaluation screening for our final trailer. Again, this was a big help and helped us determine “Keith� was mostly a success. We also shared our trailer onto YouTube for other people to add comments on improvements or what we done well.

Evaluation Part 3  
Evaluation Part 3  

Evaluating my media coursework

Advertisement