Page 15

The Daily Dispatch

A Guide for Newcomers



Where to find answers to your questions Who do I call to get my phone set up? Where do I go to get my gas hooked up? When is trash pick-up? What do we recycle? These are

Telephone service

Local telephone service is available through CenturyLink. Anyone wishing to set up a residential phone account may call (252) 977-9011. To set up a business account, call 1-(800) 786-6272. Other important numbers can be found inside the front cover of the local telephone book, which is available for residents new to the area at the Henderson-Vance County Chamber of Commerce, 414 S. Garnett St.  Electrical service In Vance, Granville and Warren counties, Progress Energy provides this utility. Call (800) 452-2777 to request service. No deposit is required if the customer has a good credit record with another utility. If a deposit is required, it is based on an average two months’ bills for the residence. The deposit is refundable, with interest, after 12 months if all bills are paid on time. Next-day start of service is provided unless construction is required. Wake Electric also provides utilities in some areas of Vance and Granville counties. The company can be reached at (800) 4746300. Parts of Warren County are also served by Halifax Electric Membership Corp. Customers may call

the Warren County office for the company at (252) 257-3900.

Water / sewer service

To have service connected within the City of Henderson, go to the city’s Water Billing and Collections Office at City Hall, 134 Rose Ave., Henderson. You will need to provide the following information: • One form of picture identification such as a driver’s license, work identification card, etc. • If you rent, a rent deposit receipt and your landlord’s name and address. • Your telephone number. • A $20 non-refundable account set-up fee (this fee will be charged each time you move from one residence to another). In addition, a deposit is required. The cost will vary depending on which type of service you receive. • Your Social Security number. Your water meter will be read each month. Any collections office personnel will be able to tell you when you can expect your bill. Here’s the contact information for the other town and municipal water/ sewer departments in the Tri- County area: • In Oxford, go to the city hall, 300 Williamsboro

just a few of the questions that face new residents. Here’s a guide to help answer some of the most frequently asked questions:

St., or call (919) 603-1100. • In Warrenton, go to the town hall, 119 E. Market St., or call (252) 257-3315. • In Norlina, go to the town hall at 101 Main St., or call (252) 456-3325. • In Macon, residents who wish to be included in water/ sewer district 2 should contact Macon Robertson, county public works director at (252) 257-3645. • In Stovall, call (919) 693- 4646. • In Middleburg, call (252) 492-6104.

Waste collection

In Vance County, an annual solid waste household user fee is assessed to the owner of each residential unit in Vance County. The revenue generated from these fees is used to pay for the disposal of household trash produced by the residents of Vance County, including the municipalities of Henderson, Kittrell and Middleburg. These fees do not pay for the disposal of commercial, industrial or institutional waste. All residents of Vance County who have paid the annual solid waste household user fee are allowed to take household trash to any of the manned solid waste convenience centers in Vance County. The county also provides recycling containers for aluminum, cardboard,

newspaper, plastic bottles, used motor oil and brown, clear and green glass at these sites. Construction and demolition debris is prohibited. The county further prohibits the disposal of commercial, industrial or institutional waste at any of the manned solid waste convenience centers. Trash pickup is also available. County trash and recycling sites are located at: • Warrenton Road at U.S. 1 Bypass • N.C. 39 North at the old Vance County Landfill • Gun Club Road near the intersection of Dabney Road • Tungsten Mine Road in Townsville • Old Aycock School on Vicksboro Road • North Chavis Road in Kittrell • Drewry, near the Drewry Volunteer Fire Department • Brodie Road near the intersection of County Home Road The sites are open from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. MondaySaturday and noon to 6 p.m. on Sundays. Items can be recycled at any of the manned convenience centers. In Henderson, householdgenerated trash will be collected at curbside on regularly scheduled garbage collection days. Yard trash will be

collected one day each week. Special pick ups of yard waste exceeding the city’s regulations can be arranged by contacting the Public Works Department/ Sanitation Office at (252) 431-6116. In Oxford, call (919) 693-8669 for information on waste collection. In Warren County, a number of sites are located throughout the county for garbage collection. Sites are located at Eaton’s Ferry, Warrenton-Ridgeway Road, Afton, Arcola, Five Forks, Macon/Vaughn, Inez, U.S. 1/Wise and Drewry. For hours and more information on public works in Warrenton, call the town hall at (252) 257-3315. Many sites also accept some recyclable items. The county landfill is located off Baltimore Road in Warrenton and is open from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. In Norlina, Warrenton and Macon, garbage collection is provided to residents within the town limits. The town of Middleburg contracts with a private waste hauler to provide residential waste disposal services. Curbside pickup is available once a week. All commercial and industrial waste generators must contract with a private hauler for waste see answers/page 15

Newcomers 2013-2014: The Daily Dispatch: October 27, 2013  

New to Henderson, Oxford and Warrenton? Visiting Vance, Granville and Warren counties? The Daily Dispatch's Newcomers Guide has all of the i...

Newcomers 2013-2014: The Daily Dispatch: October 27, 2013  

New to Henderson, Oxford and Warrenton? Visiting Vance, Granville and Warren counties? The Daily Dispatch's Newcomers Guide has all of the i...