Page 1

Health & Social Care Support Directory 2013 - 14 Stratford-Upon-Avon and Districts


Healthwatch In Warwickshire NHS Choose Well South Warwickshire CCG Clinical Commissioning Group Choosing a GP GP Surgeries Healthy Living Pharmacies Dentists Opticians Are you a Carer? Independent Living Care in your own home Advice on paying for care Legal Terms Nursing & Residential Care Help & Advice

Disclaimer This Directory has been complied to signpost health and social care providers throughout the Warwickshire County Council localities. Whilst we have taken every care in compiling this publication, the publishers and promoters cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies. All listings are supplied via the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and NHS Choices. Neither Healthwatch Warwickshire nor HealthCare Publications Limited can be held responsible for any errors or omissions. A note on advertising: We offer businesses the chance to reach potential customers via this publication. It is our intention to clearly indicate that an advertisement is being displayed and no endorsement or approval by the promoters of any product, service or supplier should be implied.

Another quality publication by Healthcare Publications Limited. If you require extra copies of this directory or interested in advertising in future editions please contact Healthcare Publications on 0844 800 1214

ABOUT US Healthwatch Warwickshire will be the local consumer champion for health and social care, representing the collective voice of patients, service users, carers and the public. Healthwatch exists to give a voice to communities that are affected by issues around health and social care provision. Healthwatch Warwickshire will be able to alert Healthwatch England to concerns about specific care providers. Healthwatch Warwickshire will represent the people of Warwickshire on statutory health and wellbeing boards and will play an integral role in the preparation of the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment.

Healthwatch Warwickshire is being led by a consortium of Warwickshire Community and Voluntary Action (WCAVA), in collaboration with the county offices of Age UK and Citizens Advice Bureaux. Each organisation brings particular skills and expertise of relevance to the delivery of this project and combined provide a powerful force for helping to achieve better health and social care outcomes for the Warwickshire population.

Healthwatch Warwickshire will carry out its functions in an inclusive way, championing diversity, so that it can be an enabler of user and carer involvement and service improvement on behalf of the whole community. Healthwatch Warwickshire will actively seek views from all sections of the community – not just from those who shout the loudest, but especially from those who sometimes struggle to be heard. Healthwatch Warwickshire will be rooted in communities and responsive to their needs. They will provide, or signpost people to, information about local health and care services and how to access them. They will work collaboratively by being part of local community networks to ensure maximum reach across diverse communities, drawing on existing information, advice and local knowledge. Healthwatch Warwickshire will use evidence based on real experiences to highlight issues and trends and raise these at the highest levels. They will provide authoritative, evidence-based feedback to organisations responsible for commissioning or delivering local health and social care services.

YOUR VOICE ON HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE Healthwatch is the new Consumer Champion, or Watchdog, for health and social care. It will exist in two distinct forms – local Healthwatch, at local level and Healthwatch England, at national level. The aim of local Healthwatch will be to give citizens and communities a stronger voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services are provided locally. Health related care is provided by the NHS. Social Care is provided by the Local Authority (Council). Healthwatch Warwickshire would like to know what Health and Social Care issues are important to you, your family and friends.

Healthwatch Warwickshire would like to know: 1) Are you happy with the health and social care you are receiving? 2) Do you have a relative or friend living in a Care Home? Are you/they happy with the care they receive?

Contact Telephone: 01926 422823 By email: Go to our website: Or find us on Twitter: @healthwatchwarw

3) Can you get an appointment with your GP (Doctor) when you need to? 4) Have you had to stay in hospital recently, if so, what was it like? 5) Do you or a relative suffer from a long term illness; are you/they happy with the help and support you/they receive? Thank you for giving us your feedback. This will help Healthwatch Warwickshire to prioritise its work.

Or visit your local Warwickshire Citizens Advice Bureau Alternatively you can write to us and return it free to: Freepost RSUE-UETG-XACH Healthwatch Warwickshire, 4-6 Clemens Street, Leamington Spa CV31 2DL


Choose Well Don’t be a time loser, be a time chooser, and make sure you get the right treatment, in the right place, at the right time. Your time is a precious thing. Hundreds of people spend hours at Accident and Emergency each week for minor illness and ailments when other services would have been more appropriate.

Choose Well – Facts and Figures • 51.4m GP consultations are for minor ailments alone, which would clear up by themselves, or with a little help from an over-the-counter remedy from a pharmacy, this is 18 per cent of the GP workload nearly half of these consultations are generated by people aged 16 – 59 years. • Up to 40,000 GP visits per year are for dandruff; 20,000 go to their local surgery for travel-sickness and 5.2 million with blocked noses. • Two million people who go to A&E could either self-care or have been treated elsewhere in the community 12 percent of people admit to having used A&E in the past even when they knew there was nothing seriously wrong with them. • The estimated cost of treating people who go to A&E but who could have either self-treated or gone else where, is £136 million a year this is the equivalent cost of 6,500 nurses. This following pages will provide details of were and when to access the right health services in Warwickshire and what your choices are. If You require further help and advice there is a new telephone service to make it easier for people to access health services when they need them quickly but it isn’t a life threatening emergency or they don’t know who to call.


A&e 999 Open 24/7, 365 days a year. The A&E department in South Warwickshire is at : Warwick Hospital, Larkin Road, Warwick, CV34 5BW


Open 9am to 5pm 7 days a week. The walk-in centre in South Warwickshire is at: Stratford-Upon-Avon Hospital, Minor Injuries, Arden Street, Stratford- Upon- Avon, CV37 6NX

GP Our GP surgeries also have trained nurses who can give advice, take tests diagnose and be able to treat many illnesses that used to be only dealt with by doctors – making the level of service you can now expect from your GP surgery better then ever.

PHARmACIST Go to a pharmacist if you have the symptoms of a cough, cold or think you’ve got the flu a pharmacist is the best place to go as they can usually provide you the help and information you need on the spot.

NHS 111 NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, and is free to call from landlines and mobiles and offers confidential health advice and information

SeLF – CARe Ensure your medicine cabinet is well stocked with. • Anti-diarrheal medicine • Paracetamol or aspirin • Rehydration mixture • Indigestion mixture • Thermometer • Plasters

ACCIDeNT AND emeRGeNCy The Emergency Department is for ambulance traffic and critical or life-threatening situations only, and you should only go there or call 999 if immediate emergency care is needed.


Walk-in centres treat minor illnesses and injuries that don’t need a visit to A&E. You do not need an appointment and you will be seen by an experienced nurse or doctor.

GP Surgery Your local GP surgery provides a range of services including. • General medical advice and treatment for an illness or injury that won’t go away. • Routine health checks - Travel advice – Prescriptions. • Help managing long-term health problems. • Immunisations and tests. • Referrals to a specialist or a hospital.

PHARmACIST You can speak to any pharmacist for advice on how to treat lots of minor injuries and common complaints such as coughs colds, bites, stings, aches, and pains. They also offer help with healthy living issues such as losing weight or giving up smoking.

NHS 111 Is a new national telephone service if you need medical help fast, but it’s not life - threatening. NHS 111 provides a new way to ensure people receive the right care, from the right person, in the right time and place.

SeLF CARe Many patients make appointments to see their Doctor or Nurse, when they could be using a well stocked medicines cabinet or visiting a pharmacist to treat their symptoms – and getting the same help or advice a lot quicker. Self care is the very best choice you can make for treating very minor illnesses and injuries.

SOUTH WARWICKSHIRE CLINICAL COMMISSIONING GROUP Committed to driving up sustainable and quality healthcare services that are tailored to their patients, a key area of focus us is care of the frail elderly – a group that makes up a large proportion of the South Warwickshire population. Caring for this particular group will involve vital links with secondary and social care. We have already developed close links with Warwickshire County Council and are building the positive relationship that will be the foundation for the joint approach to health and social care services that we will provide to the people of South Warwickshire. We are also committed to patient involvement and have made great strides in developing a network to involve patients and the public in commissioning.

As part of the changes to the NHS brought about by the Health and Social Care Act 2012, Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) and Strategic Health Authorities (SHAs) ceased to exist on the 31 March 2013. From April 2013, groups of General Practitioners known as NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) will be commissioning health services for their local populations. Commissioning health services involves identifying the health needs of the population and ‘buying’ the appropriate high quality services necessary to meet these needs within the budget allocated. CCGs are membership organisations and therefore member GP practices will be central to our work as NHS South Warwickshire CCG. There are 36 GP member practices representing a population of 270,000. South Warwickshire CCG is to commission health services needed by the population of South Warwickshire: To assess needs, prioritise and undertake the design and redesign of the new and existing health services, to recommend their procurement by NHS Warwickshire. To manage the indicative commissioning and prescribing budgets of our member practices, and to drive, monitor and govern the whole commissioning process in South Warwickshire.

GETTING INVOLVED WITH THE CCG One of the first areas we have focussed on, alongside drawing up our business plans, is engaging with and involving local people and getting their say on what they would like their local CCG to provide and how they would like those services to be provided. The CCG’s vision and values were also created with input from our local population.

South Warwickshire Patient Participation Group South Warwickshire Patient and Public Participation Group (PPPG) has been set up to include a member of each existing practice-level Patient Reference Group. This group brings together the views of the groups they are representing in one place so that the CCG will get a feel for patient opinion throughout South Warwickshire. South Warwickshire PPPG also has members from independent patient groups and representatives from voluntary sector organisations and is chaired by our governing body lay member for public and patient engagement. The group will be approached by the CCG for consultation, feedback and to influence commissioning decisions. To get involved, contact your GP practice about joining your local Patient Reference Group. For more information about NHS South Warwickshire CCG, visit:

Write to: NHS South Warwickshire CCG Westgate House Market Street Warwick CV34 4DE Telephone: 01926 493491 Contact

CHOOSING A GP Choosing a GP can seem a daunting task, especially if you have just moved into an area and don't know anything about the local health services. But there are some easy ways to find the doctor to suit you. It's important to be registered with a doctor because you'll need them to refer you for specialist hospital and community treatment services.

A surgery may refuse an application to join its list of patients if: You don't reside in the surgery area It has formally closed its list of patients, eg when a practice has more patients than it can deal with or not enough doctors - this is less common than it used to be. If your application is refused, the surgery must write to you and give the reasons for this

How do I find a surgery? Most surgeries operate a fairly strict catchment area system, and only those who live within the area may be able to register. This isn't to be awkward, but ensures a GP can visit a person at home in an emergency in reasonable time.

How do I register? This is straightforward and far easier than most people realise. Simply take your NHS medical card along to your chosen surgery. You will then be asked to sign a registration form. Not all NHS trusts issue medical cards. If you don't have one, the receptionist will give you form GMS1 to fill in. Once you've completed and returned the forms, your local NHS will transfer your medical records to your new surgery and write to you to confirm your registration as a patient with the surgery. Many surgeries ask a new patient to attend a ‘registration medical’ that checks your general health.

What if I can’t get an appointment? If you can't get a doctor's appointment or have a non-urgent health problem or query, you can contact a nurse by ringing 111 at any time.

Try to avoid attending A&E for minor complaints

GP SURGERIES Your local GP surgery provides a range of services, including general medical advice and treatment for illnesses or injuries that just won’t go away. Your local GP surgery provides a wide range of family health services, as well as advice on health problems they can also help with. • Vaccinations, • Examinations and treatment. • Prescriptions for medicines. • Referrals to other health services and social services. • Screening Management of long term conditions preventative care. Surgery



If you need medical help fast, but it is not life-threatening, call NHS 111 is a new national telephone service which is available for people in Warwickshire. The service should be used if you need medical help fast but it’s not a life-threatening situation. 999 should still be used if it is an emergency. NHS 111 provides a new way to ensure people receive the right care, from the right person, in the right time and place. 9JGP[QWECNNCVTCKPGFCFXKUGTYKNNCUM[QWSWGUVKQPUVQƂPFQWVYJCVoUYTQPI give you medical advice and direct you to someone who can help you, like an out-of-hours doctor or a community nurse. If the adviser thinks your condition is more serious, they will direct you to hospital or send an ambulance. If you don’t speak English, tell the adviser what language you want to speak and they will get you an interpreter. You can call 111 free from landlines and mobile phones. 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 111 if you need medical help fast, but it’s not life-threatening, for example, if you: rVJKPM[QWPGGFVQIQVQJQURKVCN rFQPoVMPQYYJQVQECNNHQTOGFKECNJGNR rFQPoVJCXGC)2VQECNN rPGGFOGFKECNCFXKEGQTTGCUUWTCPEGCDQWVYJCVVQFQPGZV (QTJGCNVJPGGFUVJCVCTGPQVWTIGPV[QWUJQWNFECNN[QWT)2 NHS 111 replaces the NHS Direct service and will also be the PWODGTVQECNNVQIGVCEEGUUVQVJGNQECN)2QWVQHJQWTUUGTXKEG For more information on NHS 111, visit

HEALTHY LIVING The choices we make about how we live can have a significant effect on our health. Eating a healthy diet, doing regular exercise, not smoking and not drinking too much alcohol can help you stay well and enjoy a long life. You're never too young or too old to switch to a healthier lifestyle. Children who learn healthy habits at a young age will benefit from them throughout their life. And giving up bad habits can improve your health at any age.

Rethink your drinking Drinking too much alcohol could increase your risk of getting 14 major diseases, including mouth and throat cancers, liver cirrhosis, strokes and mental health problems. Alcohol is believed to be responsible for as many as 22,000 premature deaths in England and Wales every year. But it’s not just binge drinkers who are at risk: regularly drinking more than the recommended limit can cause significant health problems.

Stop Smoking for good Giving up smoking is probably the best thing you can do to improve your health. Research shows that smoking is responsible for almost one in five of all deaths in the UK. This means that smoking causes an estimated 110,000 deaths a year.

Get active, feel fitter, live longer Whatever your age, there's strong scientific evidence that being physically active can help you lead a healthier and even happier life. Adults should do at least 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of moderate-intensity aerobic activity each week. Young people (5-18) should do 60 minutes every day. If you do this, it can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by up to 50% and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.

Smokers are almost twice as likely to have a heart attack as people who have never smoked. Smoking also increases your risk of developing many cancers and lung disease.

PHARMACIES If you have the symptoms of a cough, cold, or think you’ve got the flu a pharmacist is the best place to go, as they can usually provide you the help and information you need on the spot. They can also offer help with healthy living issues such as losing weight or giving up smoking. For opening times and NHS SERVICES available from your Pharmacy Please scan the QR code with your smartphone or visit

Pharmacy / Chemist



DENTISTS Always ask your dentist whether the treatment they're recommending is available on the NHS and how much it will cost before you go ahead.

Emergency Dental Service Dental Access Centres are available to treat patients who need emergency treatment. This service gives priority to pain relief and urgent care. • Domiciliary Dental Treatment (must be housebound) 07952 498522 • Emergency Dentist out of hours: 0300 1303041 • Emergency Dentist normal working hours: 01926 888630




OPTICIANS & HEARING CENTRES Regular eye tests are important because your eyes don’t usually hurt when something is wrong. Many eye conditions can be treated if found early enough. A sight test is a vital health check for your eyes. It can pick up early signs of conditions that can affect the eyes before you’re aware of any symptoms, Including: • Diabetes • Macular Degeneration • Glaucoma


Hearing Centres







ARE YOU A CARER? A Carer spends a significant proportion of their life providing unpaid support to family or friends. This could be caring for a relative, partner or friend who has a long term illness or disability including mental illness, alcohol or drug misuse or those that are elderly, forgetful or frail. Caring can be a very difficult , demanding and all-consuming task, no matter how close you are to the person you care for. Caring can affect your Health making you feel tired, frustrated, stressed and feeling guilty, leaving you with no time to yourself. In fact 52% of carers need treatment for stress related problems and many carers feel they have to give up work because of the effects caring has on their life. You are not alone! It is estimated there around 6.5 million Carers in the Uk today. You are certainly not alone, but you still need to take of yourself as well as the person you care for. Thankfully, armed with the right support and information caring can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. Just follow a few simple tips that can make a real difference.

• Ask for Help: We all need help from time to time and carers are no exception. Help is out there you only need to ask! • know your rights: It sounds simple, but knowing what you’re entitled to and what support is available can help a great deal. • Tell your GP: your GP practice can record that you are a carer to ensure you get your annual flu vaccination and additional support as a carer. • Have an assessment: This can sound a little daunting at first, but ensuring that you and the person you care for get a assessment of your needs through the Local Authority can give you access to a whole host of additional practical help and support. • Be a little selfish! We all need need time to ourselves, but it’s practically important for carers. This could be as simple as setting some me time aside for a relaxing bath or a night out.

There are a estimated 80,000 Carers in Warwickshire,help and support is available locally from the Warwickshire young Carers project or Guideposts If you’re a carer and you need some one to talk to contact:

Warwickshire young Carers' Project

Guideposts Carers Service

4 Holly Court Holly Farm Honiley, Warwickshire CV8 1NP 01926 485486

4-6 Clemens Street, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire CV31 2DL 01926 833909

INDEPENDENT LIVING Assistive Technology can help vulnerable people and their carers live more independently in there own homes. Telecare, which is part of assistive technology, can support people whose sight, hearing or cognition may have deteriorated. This could be due to physical or mental conditions which may have a long-term effect on their health and wellbeing. There are many Telecare devices which automatically alert a 24-hour monitoring centre or your chosen carer, should you need assistance. There are also Telehealth solutions which monitor medical conditions in your own home speak to your Gp to find out more about Telehealth.

Telecare Technology Can:

• Raise an alarm in case of a fall or emergency • Raise alerts for floods, smoke, carbon monoxide • Support a medication regime • 24-hour reassurance for family and carers in the knowledge that they will be alerted in the event of an incident. • Telecare can also be of assistance to carers of people with Dementia, Physical Disabilities, Learning Disabilities and Long Term Care medical Conditions.

Aids and Adaptations

If you or a member of your family has difficulty living in your home due to a long-term illness or disability, you may be able to get help by adapting your home to better meet your needs. You can apply to your local council for a disabled facilities grant. The grant helps you adapt your home to make it suitable for a disabled person. Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

you could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to: • widen doors and install ramps • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom • provide a heating system suitable for your needs • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use How can I find out more about the aids and adaptations that would help me? Contact your social services department at your local council about what difficulties you are having at home. They will send an occupational therapist to carry out an assessment and provide advice on which equipment or housing adaptation needs suit you best.

CARE IN YOUR OWN HOME If you are finding it difficult to manage at home you could consider using the services of a home care provider. Home care providers employ care assistants who can help you with bathing, washing and dressing. The staff who work for these agencies are trained in personal care and safety procedures, moving and handling, hygiene and infection control. If you require nursing care at home, many agencies employ registered nurses. This is only one option of supporting yourself with care at home. Another could be to employ a personal assistant. Speak to your local Healthwatch about finding out how to find a personal assistant. A list of the care agencies registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), who are located In the South Warwickshire District localities can be found on the following pages. When considering using the services of a home care provider you may want to ask them a few questions to help you build up a picture of how your care needs will be met. Some of these questions could be.

Organising your own home care If you are thinking about arranging your own home care it is a good idea to ask any agencies you approach the following questions • • • • • • • •

Are there different rates for weekends/evenings? Are there any extra charges i.e. for the carer's travelling expenses? What sort of services do you provide? Will somebody visit me before the service starts? If you provide me with a service, can I contact you out of office hours? If so, how? Are your carers trained? Do you take up references on your carers? Are you registered with the Care Quality Commission?

To check up-to-date information on the providers of homecare in your locality visit or scan the QR CODe with your Smartphone.


Care Provider



ADVICE ON PAYING FOR CARE Care and support services are means-tested and are not free to everyone. Most people have to pay something towards their own care and some will have to pay for all of the costs. Who pays depends on what your needs are, how much money you have, and what level and type of care and support you require. You may need to pay for all of your own care, or you may be entitled to local authority funding, NHS care (free) or have entitlements to welfare benefits to help pay for your care and support. For most people needing social care services, the first place to start is by asking your local authority for an assessment of your social care (care and support) needs. As part of this, the local authority may also carry out a financial assessment. This assessment will determine whether the local authority will meet all the cost of your care, or whether you will need to contribute towards your care cost or whether you will have to meet the full costs yourself. Some of the rules for this financial assessment are applied differently based on whether you need care in your own home or care in a residential home. There are several options for funding care, and understanding them, and which ones apply to you can be complicated. These options depend on your need for care and support, as well as your personal and financial circumstances.

Get personal advice on care funding The cost of care and support is likely to be a long-term commitment and may be substantial, particularly if you opt for residential care. If you or a member of the family need to pay for care at home or in a care home, it’s important to understand the alternatives. This makes advice tailored to your individual needs vital. You can get advice from: Your local authority – through an assessment of your care and support needs as well as advice on which services are available locally. Financial advice from a qualified, independent source – there are independent financial advisers who specialise in care funding advice. They are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and must stick to a code of conduct and ethics and take shared responsibility for the suitability of any product they recommend.

LEGAL TERMS Every day people make decisions about lots of things in their lives. The ability to make decisions is called mental capacity. People may have difficulties making some decisions either all or some of the time. This could be because they have a learning disability, dementia, a mental health problem, or could be the result of a head injury or a stroke or a temporary condition such as an illness, accident or the influence of alcohol or drugs. Listed below are details about some of the legal terms and topics you may come across. You may need to contact a solicitor whom can give you impartial advice which you may have to pay for, or you can contact a advocate who can advise on your behalf. Lasting Power Of Attorney: allows you to appoint someone you trust to make decisions about your personal welfare, including healthcare and your financial affairs. The Court of Protection: can issue Orders directing the management of a person’s property and financial affairs if you are incapable of managing your own affairs and do not have a Lasting Power of Attorney. Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: protects people in residential care or hospital who are unable to make decisions for themselves due to a brain disorder. If any of these people need to be restrained, restricted or deprived, in order to give them physical care or keep them safe, a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards authorisation may be required.

The Mental Capacity Act: • The act’s purpose is to allow adults to make as many decisions as they can for themselves. • To enable adults to make advance decisions about whether they would like future medical treatment. • To allow adults to appoint, in advance of losing mental capacity, another person to make decisions about personal welfare or property on their behalf at a future date. • To allow decisions concerning personal welfare or property and affairs to be made in the best interests of adults when they have not made any future plans and cannot make a decision at the time. • To ensure an NHS body or local authority will appoint an independent mental capacity advocate to support someone who cannot make a decision about serious medical t r e a t m e n t , or about hospital, care home or residential accommodation, when there are no family or friends to be consulted. • To provide protection against legal liability for carers who have honestly and reasonably sought to act in the person’s best interests. • To provide clarity and safeguards around research in relation to those who lack capacity.

NURSING & RESIDENTIAL CARE There are many types of residential care homes available. These include permanent care homes for older people, homes for younger adults with disabilities and homes for children. They may be privately owned or run by the voluntary sector or local authorities. You may want to consider in detail the many options for residential care before you make a decision. Older People Care homes for older people may provide personal care or nursing care. A care home which is registered to provide personal care (see the section on care home regulation, below) will offer support, ensuring that basic personal needs, such as meals, bathing, going to the toilet and medication, are taken care of. In some homes more able residents have greater independence and take care of many of their own needs. Some residents may need medical care and some care homes are registered to provide this. These are often referred to as nursing homes. Some homes specialise in certain types of disability, for example, dementia. Adults Aged 18-65 There are also residential care homes that provide care and support for younger adults with, for example, severe physical disabilities, learning disabilities, acquired brain injury, progressive neurological conditions or mental health problems. Care can be provided for adults with more than one condition and some homes have expertise in providing care for adults with alcohol or drug dependency.

These homes offer permanent residence or provide care for a temporary period until the adult is able to live independently or move to a different type of accommodation. Choosing between residential care and independent living Social services normally encourage younger adults who they assess for support to be as independent as their circumstances allow. The care plan for adults with disabilities will consider what independent tasks they can carry out and how they can be helped to achieve more. Even if adults have very severe disabilities their needs are reviewed from time to time to check whether residential care or a very high level of support is still appropriate. Supported living may be an option for younger adults. This allows people to live independently in the community but with basic support. The support offered includes help with setting up a home and managing finances, and assistance with cleaning and shopping. For older people there are various alternatives to residential care. These include sheltered housing and extra care housing schemes, which offer independence with an increased level of care and support. For many people there is also the choice of living independently at home with community care support.


Choice of Accommodation The law says that where the local authority is funding accommodation it must allow the person entering residential care to choose which care home they would prefer. Social services must first agree that the home is suitable for the person’s needs and that it would not cost more than they would normally pay for a home that would meet those needs. If the person chooses to go into a more expensive home, a relative or friend may be able to ‘top up’ the difference in cost.

Temporary stays can give you flexibility when covering unexpected events, such as:

Choosing a Care Home Care homes may be arranged through the local authority but many people will want to arrange them independently. It is a good idea to visit several homes before making a choice. Make sure you spend enough time in each home to get a good idea of what it is like.

What your choices are A list of all nursing and residential care homes within your locality can be found on the following pages. Every care home in England must be registered with the national regulatory body Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Respite and Short Term Stays Residential care home stays don't necessarily have to be permanent. Temporary stays can be arranged for respite care (in which you take a break from caring for somebody else), or as a trial period before a permanent stay.

They inspect each care home on a regular basis and write an inspection report for you to read. It is advisable to read this report before making a final decision.

• Palliative care (which manages or reduces pain) after a hospital stay or illness • Support for newly disabled people and their carers • Enabling someone to continue living independently if they live alone and suddenly require care • Giving someone a chance to try potential future homes

To check up-to-date information on the Nursing and Residential care homes within your locality visit or scan the QR CODe WITH yOUR SmARTPHONe


Care Home



HELP & ADVICE Information and Advice Service Warwick, Leamington or Kenilworth District Age UK, 8 Clemens Street, Leamington Spa CV31 2DL Telephone: 01926 458 143

Information and advice officers are trained to provide information on a vast range of topics from benefit entitlement to housing and home safety to long term care. General advice on how to deal with issues with utility companies, telesales calls and doorstep callers or simply find a tradesperson is also available.

Providing information and support to people with dementia and their carers/families across Warwickshire. Alzheimer's Society - Warwickshire , 10 Wise Street, Leamington Spa, CV31 3AP Telephone 01926 888 899 Email:

• Community Support • Day Centres • Dementia Cafés

Call the Carers Direct helpline if you need help with your caring role and want to talk to someone about what options are available to you. If you are busy at certain times of day, you can send us a message to ask us to call you back for free at a time that is convenient to you. Call Carers Direct on

0808 802 0202

This service is available for people living in or caring for someone in England. Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines and mobiles or you can request a free call back

Free, confidential, impartial and independent advice for all. We can offer help with a range of problems, including debt, benefits, housing, employment, consumer, relationships and discrimination. 25 meer Street, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6QB

0844 855 2322

Helping people with a learning disability to speak up and make decisions about what is important to them. Lines are open 9am - 5pm monday - Friday

0808 8081111

Have your say on health and social care in Warwickshire. Healthwatch Warwickshire 4 - 6 Clemens Street, Leamington Spa CV31 2DL Email: Web: Twitter: @healthwatchwarw Tel: 01926 422823


Flat 31, Melville House, New Street, Stratford upon Avon, CV37 6EB 01789 294 120 •

'Warwickshire Your Way is a service specifically for individuals with mental health needs. We offer flexible, individually tailored support to enable people to live independent and fulfilling lives.

Safeline is a leading specialist sexual assault provider covering Rugby - as well as the whole of Warwickshire County.

Safeline works with young and older, males and females, across the equitable spectrum. For further information to access our services, for training, schools projects, referrals or volunteering please contact us on t. 01926 402498 office Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm helpline - Mons to Fri, 7.30pm to 9.30pm 0300 123 20 28 Email: Website:

We work in the fields of: Prevention - raising awareness of abuse in order to prevent it from happening in the first place Protection - providing safe from harm support including through the criminal justice system Provision - delivering services for survivors and affected families with helpline, counselling/psychological support, client training (eg assertiveness), support groups, CAF young people child protection referrals and schools projects

Warwickshire Domestic Violence Support Services is a voluntary organisation which exists to support those experiencing domestic violence. We offer a range of services to meet the needs of those coming to us for help and support.

Warwickshire Domestic Violence Support Services 52, Regent St, Rugby , CV21 2PS Tel: 01788 537112

If you're experiencing Domestic Violence in whatever form you need to be believed and understood to know you are not to blame for what is happening to you choices in your life and not only the option to go into a refuge a safe place to talk things through in confidence and with no pressure to have the right to make your own decisions. The Support Service is here to help you.

All of our services are free and confidential.

Stratford upon avon 2013  

Health and Social Care