Page 1

Your local spotlight on Health & Social Care services in East Riding of Yorkshire

East Riding of Yorkshire

Health & Social Care Signposting Directory 2015-16 East Riding of Yorkshire

Issue 2


Life Line can  Help you to remain independent in your own home at an affordable price Provide support and reassurance for carers  Help to prevent falls or accidents

A service helping you, or your relatives, stay at home safely and independently

24 hours a day 365 days a year

Simple to use From only


a day This service is available for anyone of any age who would like to feel reassured, safer and independent in their own home.

Call the Life Line team on

01377 256264

 Prevent unnecessary admissions to hospitals  Speed up hospital discharge

Request a

 Provide a rapid response to crisis situations


home demonstration

Health Through Warmth Health Through Warmth is an npower initiative. Working together with the East Riding of Yorkshire Council and the National Health Service, we have helped to install over £5.5 million worth of heating and insulation measures in clients homes over the last 12 years. We aim to improve levels of warmth, comfort and quality of life for vulnerable people with long-term illnesses who need help to install heating and insulation measures or to repair existing systems and appliances, which they can't afford to fully fund themselves.

Cavity wall and loft insulation

Boiler repairs and replacement

Heating systems or appliances

Energy efficiency advice

If you have lived in your property for longer than a year and you don’t have heating or your heating has broken down, Health Through Warmth may be able to help you. Contact your local Health Through Warmth Co-ordinator, based at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, by:

Telephone: 01482 396 278 / 01482 396 358 or email: energyefficiency@eastriding.gov.uk

Access to funding

CONTENTS Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire Have Your Say & Join Us Children & Young People Service Family Information Services Hub Some of Our Key Achievements The Healthwatch Information Service Free NHS Health Check The Care Act: What’s Changing & What’s Happening Common Health Complaints GPs, GP Surgeries & MIUs in East Riding of Yorkshire Pharmacies in East Riding of Yorkshire Dentists in East Riding of Yorkshire Opticians in East Riding of Yorkshire Social Care & Independent Living Personal Health Budgets Recognising Mental Health & Support Are You a Carer? Planning for Your Future Care Needs Choosing Between Care at Home or a Care Home Choosing the Right Home Care Agency Care in Your Own Home in East Riding of Yorkshire Choosing the Right Care Home Information & Support Expressing Complaints & Concerns

1 2 3 4 5-6 7-8 9 - 10 11 - 12 13 - 14 15 - 16 17 - 18 19 20 21 - 24 25 27 29 31 - 32 33 35 37 39 - 44 45 - 46 47 - 48

Disclaimer This Directory has been compiled to signpost primary health and social care providers throughout East Riding of Yorkshire. Whilst we have taken every care in compiling this publication, the publishers and promoters cannot accept responsibility for any inaccuracies. All listings are supplied via the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and NHS Choices. Neither Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire nor Healthcare Publications can be held responsible for any errors or omissions. All signposting services are up to date as of August 2015. If you would like information in this Directory in an alternative format, please contact Healthwatch East Riding Information Service on: 01428 666584

This Directory contains advertising from businesses who are offered the opportunity to reach potential customers through inclusion. However, any information provided by a company or organisation does not carry endorsement or approval of any product or service by Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire or Healthcare Publications.

Healthcare Publications Signposting Health & Social Care in Partnership with your Local Healthwatch

Another quality publication by Healthcare Publications If you require extra copies of this directory or are interested in advertising in future editions please email Healthcare Publications on admin@healthcarepublications.org or visit www.hcpublications.org

HEALTHWATCH EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE Healthwatch is the independent consumer champion for health and social care in East Riding. We provide a strong collective voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services for adults and children are provided locally. We do this by listening to people from every part of the community and by holding services to account. What does Healthwatch do?

What powers does Healthwatch have?

• Gathers the views and experiences of people in East Riding about their health and social care priorities, helping to build a picture of where services are doing well and where they can be improved.

We have legal powers to look into specific issues of concern, and to make recommendations on how services could be improved. Where appropriate, we will be able to alert healthcare regulators to concerns about specific services, health or care matters.

• Produces reports and provides feedback to service commissioners and providers in order to influence the way services are planned and delivered. • Provides information, advice and signposting about local services and how to access them.

• We have a seat on the East Riding Health and Wellbeing Board. This body oversees health and social care in East Riding, and can therefore influence how services are designed and delivered.

• Works with Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) to provide information and support to people who need to make a complaint about NHS funded services.

• We have the right to ‘enter and view’ health and social care services. Our trained volunteers go into health and social care premises to see and hear for themselves how services are provided. • We collect the views of service users (patients and residents) at the point of service delivery and collect the views of carers and relatives.

The Healthwatch network is a new kind of consumer champion in health and social care.

• We report the findings and associated recommendations – good and bad – to providers, the Care Quality Commission, Local Authority and NHS commissioners and quality assurers, Healthwatch England and other relevant partners.

We will make sure the voice of the consumer is heard and acted upon. With our independent statutory powers, the network as a whole has a fantastic opportunity to make a difference. Healthwatch England looks forward to making sure the public’s voice is heard loud and clear by those who plan, run and regulate health and social care services.

• We pass information, issues and concerns to the organisations which regulate health and social care and escalate recommendations to Healthwatch England.

Anna Bradley, Chair of Healthwatch England


HAVE YOUR SAY AND JOIN US Healthwatch East Riding gives citizens and communities a stronger voice to influence and challenge how health and social care services are provided locally. We seek views from all sections of the community, working with a range of partner organisations so we can have maximum reach across the diversity of the local community.

We go out to where people will be – Healthwatch staff and volunteers attend a wide variety of community events. We get invited to meetings and other events. We are happy to do a talk, have an information stall or hold a focus group – whatever people want that helps spread the word about us!

Healthwatch Volunteers

Every voice counts when it comes to shaping the future of services and improving them. We want to know what health and social care issues are important to you and your family. Please tell us:

Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire recruits volunteers who want to make a real difference to the way our health and social care services are run.

1. Are you happy with the health and social care you are receiving?

How you can get involved

2. Do you have a relative or a friend living in a care home? Are they/you happy with the care they receive?

Our Community Engagement volunteers assist us at a range of events, such as roadshows. You could also help to gather information for us by asking people to carry our surveys in public areas, or within specialist groups. Another way to help us engage is by helping us to deliver information sessions to specific groups.

3. Can you get an appointment with your GP (doctor) when you need to? 4. Have you had to stay in hospital recently? If so, what was your experience like?

Our trained and authorised Enter & View Visitors will carry out visits to local publicly funded health and social care premises and collect the views of service users at the point of delivery. The information that is gathered will be used to create reports which will lead to Healthwatch making recommendations for service improvements.

5. Do you or a relative suffer from a long term illness; are you/they happy with the help and support you/they receive? 6. Do you know what services are available and how to choose the right one, when you need urgent care? 7. If you could wave a magic wand to fix one thing in health and social care what would it be? With your support Healthwatch East Riding can make a difference to the quality of local Services.

Contact us Write to us at: Freepost RTEX-JUJY-LTUR Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire Brough Business Centre Skillings Lane Brough HU15 1EN

You can be involved in a number of ways: • Tell us about your experiences of local health and social care services, both good and not so good. • Sign up to receive our monthly newsletters as well as any relevant surveys and updates.

Phone us on: 01482 665684

• Become a Healthwatch volunteer.

Email us: enquiries@healthwatcheastridingofyorkshire.co.uk Visit our website: www.healthwatcheastridingofyorkshire.co.uk Follow us on Twitter @HWEastYorks 2


Sleep report From January – April of 2015 we managed to organise and deliver some engagement sessions for young people to try and gain information surrounding sleep deprivation and young people’s sleeping habits.

The Children & Young People service is at the forefront of finding out what young people under the age of 25 across the East Riding think of their Health and Social Care services.

The subject of sleep was selected as a result of a previous survey and report called the “What Matters” Report.

Over the last twelve months we have engaged with over 2000 young people and carried out a number of projects to identify and target specific areas of concern.

This report was aimed at identifying and targeting subjects that are important to young people.

The first project we did was a “What Matters” survey. This looked at and identified areas of concern for young people across the patch.

Sleep was one of the primary subjects identified, this prompted Healthwatch to respond and move forward with a hard hitting sleep survey.

The following have been raised as areas of concern. • Sleep Patterns • Local GPs • Hospitals • Drugs and Alcohol These topics will be the focus of the service moving forward. We have also been working with local Eating Disorder groups to put together a comprehensive report highlighting the current Eating Disorder Services for the East Riding.

Healthwatch East Riding visit Beverley College

For further information contact:

The C&YP service will continue to work with young people in dynamic ways to make sure young people have a voice when looking at care services.

Matthew Fawcett Children and Young Peoples Officer Telephone: 01482 665684 Email: mfawcett@healthwatcheastridingofyorkshire.co.uk 3


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, East Riding IASS Advice, and Support Service

Parent carers can join LOOK AHEAD and receive/ apply for: • Fortnightly bulletins about activities, services or events • Invitations to parent carer events and workshops • Reduced prices on some leisure centre activities • FREE newsletter • The East Riding of Yorkshire Local Offer website is full of information for parents of children (0-25yrs) with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Read more at www.eastridinglocaloffer.org.uk

What is East Riding of Yorkshire FISH? A free impartial, confidential information, advice and support service to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (age 0 - 25). Are you entitled to 15 hours FREE childcare? Free early education for 3 and 4 year olds • All three and four year olds are entitled to 15 hours per week • You can use day nurseries, pre-schools, nursery school/class or a child-minder to access your free early education • You can even spread your free hours between two settings (if they have availability)

Local Offer This service makes it easy for parents of children who have additional needs, to find out what resources are available to you.

Are you looking for Ofsted registered childcare?

Visit the Local Offer website at www.eastridinglocaloffer.org.uk

• We’re the trusted source for Ofsted registered childcare across the East Riding of Yorkshire • We can help you find child-minders, crèches, days nurseries, home child-carers, out of school clubs and pre-schools • We can provide a list of Ofsted registered childcare tailored to your family’s needs • We will explore childcare options for anyone with additional needs. • We can tell you which child-minders and settings in your area offer free funded places for 3 and 4 year olds as well as tell you when your child will become eligible , how you can apply for a place, and how you can use the hours.

Call the FISH helpline on (01482) 396469 for more information.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Information - Advice and Support (SEND IAS) For parents and carers of children and young people (aged 0-25) with special educational needs or disabilities. The service provides: • Support to help you meet your child’s special educational needs • Advice on where to find help and support in your area • Up to date information about local and national services and activities


SOME OF OUR KEY ACHIEVEMENTS Putting local people at the heart of improving services

Enter & View Local people have been recruited and trained to be authorised Enter & View representatives. They have undertaken a series of visits as part of a programme of to review the quality of care in residential and care homes in the East Riding. Reports have been published on our website and circulated to the ERYC Quality Development Team and the CQC.

We have engaged with 4146 local people and used that information plus the 2081 responses to our surveys to evidence our reports.

Experiences of Yorkshire Ambulance Service Survey Following issues raised by local residents, our previous concerns around performance and an imminent Inspection by the Care Quality Commission, we created two short surveys to gather information on local people’s experiences of the Yorkshire Ambulance Service Emergency Ambulance Service and Yorkshire Ambulance Service Patient Transport Service during 2014. Both surveys were primarily online however hard copies, large print and audio versions were available.

Users’ experiences of outpatient services at Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire and Healthwatch Kingston upon Hull undertook this work in response to concerns of residents and issues highlighted by the Care Quality Commission Inspection of the Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust in January 2014.

The results were generally positive with only a small percentage of people giving a poor rating to the majority of questions.

Healthwatch conducted a survey to find out directly from patients about their experiences of Outpatients services. Responses to the survey pointed to a number of concerns.

The issues raised were centred on:

Issues identified were -

• Waiting times for both ambulances to arrive (18%) and

• High levels of appointments being cancelled.

• Handover times at A&E

• Follow-up appointments delayed. • Poor communication with patients when clinics run late.

Patient Transport Service responses were generally positive although there were more Poor or Very Poor ratings than for Emergency Ambulances.

• Particular public concerns re ophthalmology and glaucoma follow-up.

• Cleanliness ratings were less positive than for Emergency Ambulances. • 24% of respondents rating the service as Poor/ Very poor. The majority of comments focused on the poor punctuality of the Patient Transport Service.

Recommendations made include – • Review the Outpatients appointments system in order to: • Reduce the number of appointments that are cancelled • Reduce the number of appointments that are delayed. • Improve communication with patients when clinics run late • Specific to the ophthalmology and glaucoma follow-up: Investigate opportunities to reduce pressure on ophthalmology department by developing more widely the integrated role of eye health professionals in primary care in the identification and management of chronic or acute disease. 5

SOME OF OUR KEY ACHIEVEMENTS Community Based Dementia Services


Following a recommendation of the East Riding of Yorkshire LINk Inpatient Dementia Report, Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire reviewed the provision of services in the community for people diagnosed with dementia and for their carers. The report identified services available and how they are accessed, as well as identifying areas for improvement and offering recommendations.


At diagnosis, carers should receive information about carers’ assessments and local support agencies. Healthwatch can play a key role through its signposting service and would be keen to work with commissioners and providers to determine the best way forward.

2. Increased support for carers both whilst they are caring and when their caring role has come to an end.

Views of carers and patients were sought at the Memory Cafes held by the Alzheimer’s Society. 37 GP practices in the East Riding were sent surveys.

3. Improved co-ordination between agencies to improve access to support.

We presented an account given by the husband of a patient suffering with dementia which illustrates the concerns and experiences of a carer including the comment that “Dementia sufferers are cared for, their carers have heart attacks.”

4. The creation of a “Dementia Hub” as a central point for all information. 5. The Dementia Academy to operate in the East Riding. 6. Training made available for carers and residential staff, to include emotional issues. 7. Improved information and access to appropriate benefits.

In addition to this improved early diagnosis, the media release continues to report that the CCG has implemented a number of initiatives (all of which are linked to our recommendations) to:

8. Letters and forms issued by health and social care providers should not use insensitive terminology.

“…improve care planning and support available.

9. Wider delivery of dementia awareness training e.g. via Dementia Championship scheme.

These initiatives include:

10. When assessments are made regarding modifications to the homes of patients, thought should be given to suitable adaptations to make it more “Dementia friendly”.

• Delivery of a series of workshops and education sessions with GPs and primary care health professionals to increase their knowledge and understanding of dementia and enable them to conduct assessment and diagnosis

When we reviewed progress against our recommendations six months later, we were pleased to note that the local council and CCG had responded as the CCG reported on 18 May 2015 that “…the current diagnosis rate at the end of March 2015 is 55.5% increasing from 41.3% in 2013/14.”

• Delivery of Dementia Friends sessions to Governing Body members and staff to improve awareness and highlight the small things people can do to make a difference to those living with dementia

This is a remarkable 23% improvement in the dementia diagnosis rate.

• Working with the Alzheimer’s Society to introduce dementia advisors into 4 GP Practices (Bridlington, Brough, Hedon and Market Weighton).”



You have the right to expect your NHS to assess the health requirements of your community and to commission and put in place the services to meet those needs as considered necessary, and in the case of public health services commissioned by local authorities, to take steps to improve the health of the local community.

Everyone has the right to information and education about how to take care of themselves and what they are entitled to within the health and social care system. Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire’s Information Service helps individuals to gain access to, understand, and use information to promote and maintain good health and make the best use of local services and care support.

You have the right, in certain circumstances, to go to other European Economic Area countries or Switzerland for treatment which would be available to you through your NHS commissioner.

We can: • Explain your rights and what standards to expect from services

You have the right not to be unlawfully discriminated against in the provision of NHS services including on grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity or marital or civil partnership status.

• Help you find out about funding for health & social care • Help you to access services and find your way through care ‘pathways’ – find the right service for you • Put you in touch with Support Groups, Voluntary and Community Organisations

You have the right to access certain services commissioned by NHS bodies within maximum waiting times, or for the NHS to take all reasonable steps to offer you a range of suitable alternative providers if this is not possible.

• We can register your concerns and provide information on making complaints • Pass on your reports of excellent services and care

You have the right to be treated with a professional standard of care, by appropriately qualified and experienced staff, in a properly approved or registered organisation that meets required levels of safety and quality.

• If you need advocacy we can refer you to the Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) The NHS Constitution, Department of Health, 2015 sets out the following rights to which patients, public and staff are entitled:

You have the right to expect NHS bodies to monitor, and make efforts to improve continuously, the quality of healthcare they commission or provide. This includes improvements to the safety, effectiveness and experience of services.

You have the right to receive NHS services free of charge, apart from certain limited exceptions sanctioned by Parliament. You have the right to access NHS services. You will not be refused access on unreasonable grounds.

You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect, in accordance with your human rights. You have the right to have any complaint you make about NHS services acknowledged within three working days and to have it properly investigated. You have the right to discuss the manner in which the complaint is to be handled, and to know the period within which the investigation is likely to be completed and the response sent. You have the right to be involved in discussions and decisions about your health and care, including your end of life care, and to be given information to enable you to do this. Where appropriate this right includes your family and carers.



You have the right to be kept informed of progress and to know the outcome of any investigation into your complaint, including an explanation of the conclusions and confirmation that any action needed in consequence of the complaint has been taken or is proposed to be taken.

You have the right to make choices about the services commissioned by NHS bodies and to information to support these choices. You have the right to choose the organisation that provides your NHS care when referred for a first time out-patient appointment.

You have the right to take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman or Local Government Ombudsman, if you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with by the NHS.

With all the changes to health and care services it’s not always clear where you should go to report an urgent issue, to make a complaint, or for further information. Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire can help you find the right services to suit your needs through our Information & Signposting Service.

You have the right to make a claim for judicial review if you think you have been directly affected by an unlawful act or decision of an NHS body or local authority.

We cannot give you advice or make specific recommendations but we can help you make an informed decision in finding the right health and social care service whether it is provided by the NHS, the Council, a voluntary or community organisation.

You have the right to compensation where you have been harmed by negligent treatment. You have the right to accept or refuse treatment that is offered to you, and not to be given any physical examination or treatment unless you have given valid consent. If you do not have the capacity to do so, consent must be obtained from a person legally able to act on your behalf, or the treatment must be in your best interests.

Contact Us: Write to us at: Freepost RTEX-JUJY-LTUR Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire Brough Business Centre Skillings Lane Brough HU15 1EN

You have the right to be given information about the test and treatment options available to you, what they involve and their risks and benefits.

Helpline: 01482 334999 or Office: 01482 666584

You have the right of access to your own health records and to have any factual inaccuracies corrected.

Email us: enquiries@healthwatcheastridingofyorkshire.co.uk

You have the right to privacy and confidentiality and to expect the NHS to keep your confidential information safe and secure.

Visit our website: www.healthwatcheastridingofyorkshire.co.uk Follow us on Twitter @HWEastYorks

You have the right to be informed about how your information is used. You have the right to request that your confidential information is not used beyond your own care and treatment and to have your objections considered, and where your wishes cannot be followed, to be told the reasons including the legal basis. You have the right to choose your GP practice, and to be accepted by that practice unless there are reasonable grounds to refuse, in which case you will be informed of those reasons. You have the right to express a preference for using a particular doctor within your GP practice, and for the practice to try to comply.



Who is it for?

Everyone is at risk of developing heart disease, stroke, diabetes, kidney disease, and some forms of dementia. The good news is that these conditions can often be prevented – even if you have a history of them in your family. Have your free NHS Health Check and you will be better prepared for the future and be able to take steps to maintain or improve your health.

The NHS Health Check scheme is available across East Riding of Yorkshire. If a person is aged between 40 and 74 and hasn’t already been diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, or had a stroke, they may be invited by their GP for the NHS Health Check by letter, text or they may be offered the NHS Health Check when they are at their GP for another reason.

Why do I need an NHS Health Check? We know that your risk of developing heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, and dementia increases with age. There are also certain things that will put you at even greater risk. These are: • Being overweight • Being physically inactive • Not eating healthily • Smoking • Drinking too much alcohol • High blood pressure • High cholesterol Both men and women can develop these conditions, and having one could increase your risk of developing another in the future. • In the brain a blocked artery or a bleed can cause a stroke • In the heart a blocked artery can cause a heart attack or angina

Helping you prevent heart dis eas e, s troke, diabetes , kidney dis eas e and dementia

• The kidneys can be damaged by high blood pressure or diabetes, causing chronic kidney disease and increasing your risk of having a heart attack • Being overweight and physically inactive can lead to type 2 diabetes • If unrecognised or unmanaged, type 2 diabetes could increase your risk of further health problems, including heart disease, kidney disease and stroke



Even if you’re feeling well, it’s worth having your NHS Health Check now. We can then work with you to lower your chances of developing these health problems in the future.

Questions you may have Why do I need this check? I feel fine! The NHS Health Check helps to identify potential risks early. By having this check and following the advice of your health professional, you improve your chances of living a healthier life.

What happens at the check? This check is to assess your risk of developing heart disease, type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, and stroke.

But don’t these conditions run in the family? If you have a history of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, or kidney disease in your family then you may be more at risk. Taking action now can help you to prevent the onset of these conditions.

• The check will take about 20-30 minutes • You’ll be asked some simple questions. For example, about your family history and choices which may put your health at risk

I know what I’m doing wrong. How can the doctor help me?

• We’ll record your height, weight, age, sex and ethnicity

If you would like help, we will work with you to find ways to eat healthily, reach your healthy weight, be more active, cut down your drinking, or stop smoking.

• We’ll take your blood pressure • We’ll do a simple blood test to check your cholesterol level

If I am assessed as being at ‘low risk’, does this mean I won’t develop these conditions?

What happens after the check? We will discuss how you can reduce your risk and stay healthy.

It is impossible to say that someone will or won’t go on to develop one of these conditions. But taking action now can help you lower your potential risk.

• You’ll be taken through your results and told what they mean. Some people may be asked to return at a later date for their results

Will everyone have this check?

• You’ll be given personalised advice on how to lower your risk and maintain a healthy lifestyle

This check is part of a national scheme to help prevent the onset of these health problems. Everyone between the ages of 40 and 74 who has not been diagnosed with the conditions mentioned will be invited for a check once every five years. If you are outside the age range and concerned about your health, you should contact your GP.

• Some people with raised blood pressure will have their kidneys checked through a blood test • Some people may need to have another blood test to check for type 2 diabetes. Your health professional will be able to tell you more • Treatment or medication may be prescribed to help you maintain your health

Helping you prevent heart dis eas e, s troke, diabetes , kidney dis eas e and dementia 10


Care and support is changing for the better

Care and support and you Most local authorities have had a one size fits all approach to care. The focus has been on what disabilities someone has, or what services the local authority can provide, rather than on the individual’s needs.

Care and support in England is changing for the better. The new Care Act will help make care and support more consistent across the country and councils will have a greater responsibility for looking after people’s wellbeing. The Care Act is a new law about care and support for adults in England that came into force in April 2015, making one new law saying what people can expect and what local authorities will have to do.

For the first time, the Act provides people with a legal entitlement to a personal budget, which is an important part of their care and support plan. The personal budget must be included in every plan, unless the person is only receiving intermediate care or reablement support to meet their identified needs.

The number of people in England who have health problems requiring both health and social care is increasing.

Getting the right care and support Health and social care needs assessments are changing. Greater emphasis will be placed on your physical, psychological and emotional wellbeing including what is important to you and your family to help you to maintain your independence and connect with your local community.

For example, in the next 20 years, the percentage of people over 85 will double. This means there are likely to be more people with ‘complex health needs’ - more than one health problem - who require a combination of health and social care services.

Your plan, your decisions If you receive care and support you will be more in control of decisions that affect you and in putting together a care plan tailored to your needs. You will also have more control over how the money for your care is spent. You will know how much it will cost to meet your needs and how much the local authority will contribute towards the cost.

The Care Act has created a single, modern law that makes it clear what kind of care people should expect. The new Care Act will further this by ensuring that all organisations locally, and nationally, work together to fully support a person’s overall wellbeing. If you receive care and support, or you support someone as a carer, you could benefit from the changes.

Deferred payment agreements From April 2015, deferred payment agreements will be available from all councils across England. A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with your local Authority that will enable people to use the value of their homes to help pay care home costs. You can delay repaying the council until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death. You should be eligible for a deferred payment agreement if: • you are receiving care in a care home (or you are going to move into one soon) • you own your own home (unless your partner or certain others live there) • you have savings and investments of less than £23,250 (not including the value of your home or your pension pot) A deferred payment agreement is only one way to pay for care. To find out more about the options available speak to a financial adviser or seek advice from an independent organisation. 11


How does the Care Act benefit carers?

Safeguarding adults from abuse Every person has the right to live a life free of fear, be treated with dignity, have their choices respected and not be forced to do anything against their will.

Currently, carers don’t have a legal right to receive support, although local authorities can provide support at their discretion. This means that access to assessment and the range of support on offer can vary considerably.

Sadly, some vulnerable adults are subjected to abuse. It can happen anywhere and by anyone that’s why we and our partner organisations work together to protect and safeguard vulnerable adults. The Care Act has made many of the local authorities responsibilities law and now means that safeguarding adults has a similar legal status as child protection.

The Care Act gives local authorities a responsibility to assess a carer’s needs for support, where the carer appears to have such needs. This replaces the existing law, which says that the carer must be providing “a substantial amount of care on a regular basis” to qualify for an assessment. This will mean more carers are able to have an assessment. The local authority will assess whether the carer has needs and what those needs may be. This assessment will consider the impact of caring on the carer. It will also consider the things that a carer wants to achieve in their own day-to-day life. It must also consider other important issues, such as whether the carer is able or willing to carry on caring, whether they work or want to work, and whether they want to study or do more socially. If both the carer and the person they care for agree, a combined assessment of both their needs can be undertaken.

What is abuse?

Abuse and neglect can take many different forms. Some of the most common are: Institutional Emotional Financial Sexual Physical Discriminatory

Who needs safeguarding?

It is true that many people who need safeguarding help are often elderly and frail or with physical or learning disabilities, living on their own in the community or without much family support in care homes. Yet anyone who is unable to protect themselves from harm could fall victim to abuse.

Adults caring for disabled children What should you do if you think that an adult is being abused or is at risk of being abused?

An adult caring for a disabled child can get support through children’s services. This is usually the best way to meet their needs, so they are not covered by this Act.

The safeguarding adults team can be contacted directly:

However, there is provision in the Act for an adult carer of a disabled child to ask for an assessment of their caring needs before the child reaches 18. When a local authority carries out such an assessment, it has the power to provide support to the carer, even though they are caring for a child, rather than an adult. This would, for example, enable a local authority to provide support that is available through an adult carers’ centre.

Tel: (01482) 396940 Email: safeguardingadultsteam@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk www.ersab.org.uk In an emergency always call the police on 999

The Care Act and young carers The Care Act does not deal with the assessment of people under the age of 18 who care for others. However, young carers can be supported under the law relating to children. The Children and Families Act gives young carers (and parent carers) similar rights to assessment as other carers have under the Care Act.

All safeguarding concerns raised will be assessed by experienced staff who will explore your concerns further, and where appropriate make decisions about what should happen next.

To view The Children and Families Act in further detail please visit:

Vigilance and action could protect a vulnerable person from harm or even save a life.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/6/contents/enacted 12


Common health complaints, such as coughs, colds and headaches, account for one out of every five GP appointments in England.

3. Heartburn and indigestion Digestive complaints like heartburn, indigestion and bloating are very common. They’re usually treatable with simple changes to your lifestyle and over-the-counter remedies. Self-care tips: • For short-term relief, a pharmacist may recommend antacid medicines (to neutralise stomach acid) or alginates (to protect your oesophagus from acid). • Diet, excess weight, smoking, alcohol and going to bed on a full stomach can all contribute to indigestion. • Make a note of any food or drink that seems to make your indigestion worse, and try to avoid them. This may mean eating less rich, spicy and fatty foods, and cutting down on drinks that contain caffeine.

Many of these can be treated quicker and just as effectively at home using self care, advice from your pharmacist and over-the-counter medicines bought from pharmacies or supermarkets. Below are the top 10 conditions, listed in decreasing order, that account for 75% of GP consultations for minor ailments. Remember that you can get advice from your local community pharmacist on a whole range of health issues, including when to visit your GP.

1. Back pain One in five people visits their GP in any given year because of back pain. Most cases of back pain can be treated with over-the-counter medicines and self-care aids and techniques. Self-care tips: • Use paracetamol or ibuprofen for pain relief. If taking ibuprofen, make sure you take it with food. Read the Patient Information Leaflet before taking any medicine. • Hot or cold compression packs, available from larger pharmacies, can also help with the pain. • You can make your own cold compression pack by wrapping a bag of frozen food in a towel. • Place a small firm cushion beneath your knees when you’re sleeping on your side. Or use several firm pillows to prop up your knees when lying on your back. • It’s important to remain mobile by, within reason, carrying on with your day-to-day activities, including work. Take care when lifting objects. • Stay positive. Studies show that if you keep positive, you’re likely to make a quicker recovery.

4. Nasal Congestion In most cases, a blocked nose will clear within a few days without treatment once the body fights off the underlying infection. If you’ve got a virus, such as a cold or flu, your GP can’t offer you anything more than a pharmacist can provide. Antibiotics won’t help. Self-care tips: • Over-the-counter decongestant medicines can help to relieve a blocked nose by reducing swollen blood vessels in your nose. Don’t use decongestants for more than five to seven days at a time. Using them for any longer can make your symptoms worse. • Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling) water may soften and loosen the build-up of mucus in your nose. Adding menthol crystals or eucalyptus oil to the water may ease your blocked nose and catarrh.

5. Constipation If you are having difficulty passing stools (going for a poo), changing your diet may be all that’s needed to ease your constipation without taking medicines. Self-care tips: • If your constipation is causing pain, take a painkiller, such as paracetamol. • Add more fibre to your diet, such as fruit, vegetables, wholewheat pasta, wholemeal bread, seeds, nuts and oats. This may take a few days to have an effect. • Make sure you’re drinking enough water. Cut down on caffeine, alcohol and fizzy drinks. • Regular exercise will greatly reduce your risk of getting constipation.

2. Dermatitis Dermatitis, which includes conditions such as mild eczema, happens when your body comes into contact with a substance that irritates your skin or causes an allergic reaction. Self-care tips: • Avoid scratching. Scratching may damage your skin and allow bacteria to get in, leading to infection. It may help to keep your nails short. • Try to identify the irritant or allergen so you can avoid coming into contact with it. • Moisturising creams called emollients can help to calm a mild flare-up of dermatitis. They’re available from pharmacies and supermarkets. Unperfumed ones are better for dermatitis. 13


6. Migraines

9. Sprains and strains

A migraine is a reoccurring headache that’s strong enough to stop you from carrying on with daily life. Self-care tips: • Ask your pharmacist for advice. They may recommend over-the-counter painkillers. These are usually more effective if taken at the first signs of a migraine attack. • Combination medicines, which contain painkillers and anti-sickness medicines for migraine, can be bought without prescription. Always get your pharmacist’s advice first. • If your migraines are severe, you may need stronger migraine-specific medicines that are only available only on prescription from your GP.

Most mild to moderate sprains and strains can be treated at home using the PRICE technique. Self-care tips: • PRICE stands for protection, rest, ice, compression and elevation. • For the first 72 hours after a sprain or muscle strain you should avoid heat – such as hot baths – alcohol, running and massage. • Try to keep your sprained joint mobile, unless the sprain is severe. The injury will heal quicker if you move the joint as soon as you’re able to. • If you feel pain from a strain or sprain, use paracetamol in the first instance. If paracetamol doesn’t help, ask your pharmacist for advice. • Your recovery time from a sprain or a strain will depend how serious the injury is. Get medical help straight away if your joint looks different than usual, is difficult or impossible to move, or you feel numbness or tingling.

7. Coughs Coughs are usually caused by viruses such as the common cold or flu. They usually clear up without treatment once your immune system has beaten the virus. Antibiotics won’t help with coughs caused by viruses. Self-care tips: • Drink plenty of fluids – water is best. Make sure you drink something non-alcoholic at least every hour. • Make your own homemade cough mixture by mixing honey and lemon in hot water. • Some over-the-counter medicines can help to relieve cold or flu symptoms, such as a blocked nose, fever and headache. • If you smoke, try to stop smoking. Get advice from your pharmacy team about over-the- counter products that can help you stop smoking, or visit an NHS stop-smoking service.

10. Headaches Most headaches aren’t serious, and are usually relieved by medicines, relaxation techniques and lifestyle changes. Self-care tips: • For pain relief, paracetamol usually works well to relieve a tension-type headache. It’s best to take a full dose as soon as a headache starts. A second dose of paracetamol can be taken after four hours if necessary. No more than eight paracetamol tablets should be taken in one day. • Anti-inflammatory painkillers, such as ibuprofen, can also help with headaches. • Be aware that taking painkillers more than two or three times a week can actually cause headaches. • Regular exercise and relaxation may help to prevent tension headaches.

8. Acne Acne consists of spots and painful bumps on the skin. It’s most noticeable on the face, but can also appear on the back, shoulders and buttocks. Self-care tips: • Avoid picking or squeezing spots as this can cause inflammation and lead to scarring. • Use a mild face wash, which can be bought from a pharmacy. Bear in mind that over-washing can aggravate acne. • There’s no evidence that wearing make-up or that certain foods, such as fried foods or chocolate, can cause or aggravate acne. • Acne is caused by bacteria building up on your skin. The less you touch your skin, the less bacteria will spread on your skin.




GPs & GP Surgery



Minor Injury Units (MIU)

Wolds View Primary Care Centre

Bridlington and District Hospital (Entrance A), Bessingby Road, Bridlington, YO16 4QP Open 7 days a week, 8.00am-9.00pm (including Bank Holidays) Tel: 01262 423008

Throughout East Riding there are a number of minor injury units for less serious injuries, such as deep cuts, eye injury, severe sprains, minor head injury, minor burns and scalds and less serious broken bones.

East Riding Community Hospital

You don’t need an appointment to visit a minor injury unit. They are run by a team of highly qualified nurse practitioners with a lot of experience and expertise in the treatment of minor injuries.

Swinemoor Lane, Beverley HU17 9PE Open Monday - Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm (Weekends & Bank Holidays - 9.00am to 6.00pm) Tel: 01482 886600

Children over the age of 18 months can also be treated at a minor injury unit.

Paul Allison

Doctor of Chiropractic & Medical Acupuncturist B.Sc. D.C. MCC.

Affordable Chiropractic Treatments

Tailored to the Needs of Each Individual since 1992 Contact us today: Beverley - 01482 870934 | www.eastyorkschiro.co.uk Beverley 24 Railway Street , Beverley, HU17 0DX

Data correct with NHS Choices - August 2015 15



GPs & GP Surgery



Alfred Bean Hospital

Hornsea Cottage Hospital

Bridlington Road Driffied YO25 5JR Open 7 days a week, 9.00am - 6.00pm Tel: 01377 208733

Eastgate HU18 1LP Open 7 days a week, 9.00am - 5.00pm Tel: 01964 533146

Goole and District Hospital

Withernsea Community Hospital

Woodland Avenue, Goole DN14 6RX Open 7 days a week, 24 hours Tel: 01405 720720

Queen Street, Withernsea HU19 2QB Open Monday - Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm Tel: 01964 614666

Affordable Chiropractic Treatments

Paul Allison

Doctor of Chiropractic & Medical Acupuncturist B.Sc. D.C. MCC.

Tailored to the Needs of Each Individual since 1992 Contact us today: Driffield - 01377 272277 | www.eastyorkschiro.co.uk Driffield 42 Middle Street, Nafferton, YO25 4JS

Data correct with NHS August - June 2015 16



Pharmacy / Chemist



Make sure you have repeat prescriptions If you or someone you care for requires medicines regularly, make sure you order and collect repeat prescriptions in good time to ensure you or your family have enough medicine to last i.e. weekends, Bank Holidays and breaks away. Many of the calls to out of hours health services are for emergency repeat prescriptions when people have run out of their medication - a situation that could be avoided with some forethought and planning. By thinking ahead for your regular medication you are helping our busy out of hours doctors and nurses.

Data correct with NHS Choices - August 2015 17



Pharmacy / Chemist



If you have the symptoms of a cough, cold, or think you’ve got the flu a pharmacist is the best place to go, as they can usually provide you with the help and information you need on the spot. They can also offer help with healthy living issues such as losing weight or giving up smoking. For opening times and NHS services available from your Pharmacy. Please scan the QR code with your smartphone or visit: www.nhs.uk

Data correct with NHS Choices - August 2015 18





Data correct with NHS Choices - August 2015 19





Get an Eye Test Regular eye tests are important because your eyes don’t usually hurt when something is wrong. A sight test is a vital health check for your eyes that can pick up early signs of eye conditions before you’re aware of any symptoms - many of which can be treated if found early enough.

What your eye test will show A sight test will show if you need to get glasses for the first time or change your current glasses. A sight test will also include a general health check that can pick up early signs of eye disease before you’re aware of any symptoms. Some health conditions can affect the eyes such as: Diabetes, Macular Degeneration or Glaucoma.

Your Sight Test It’s recommended that adults have their eyes tested every two years, unless their ophthalmic practitioner advises them to have a sight test more often than that. Your employer may pay for this test for you so ask for advice on this, and if you are over 60 your test is free of charge. Data correct with NHS Choices - August 2015 20


How do I get Social care? If you have decided that you need social care support, you may want to think about the type of support you require, be it homecare workers, equipment or respite breaks. Your first step should be to ask your local authority social services department for an assessment of your needs. Local authorities have a duty to assess anyone who appears to need the community care services they offer. Your local authority should: • assess your needs and give you advice, whatever your financial circumstances • tell you about local services and who to contact locally for advice • be able to provide information about services and support options available to you in your area • give you relevant information if you are an unpaid/family carer

Your rights and entitlements In most cases, you shouldn’t have to actively exert your rights in regards to the care that you receive. However, if you feel you are being unjustly treated in breach of your rights, you may want to take action. You can do this by telling someone you trust, seeking help from Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire or contacting the local authority team in charge of ‘safeguarding’.

The assessment by the local authority is important because it helps them work out what your difficulties are and what services will help you most. Each local authority has its own way of working out who is eligible for social care support and what services it can offer.

Under UK law, you should be looked after and treated fairly and with dignity whenever you are given social care services. This applies to everyone, regardless of where they are given care and who does the caring.

If your local authority thinks you are eligible for social care support, you have a specific level of need and meet financial rules, you should be involved in the decision-making process that follows. If appropriate, the next step will be for social services or an independent adviser to work with you to create a care plan.

Other laws may also protect you from discrimination because of who you are, including some protection for carers under the rules designed to protect disabled people. For example, if you are an older person, this should not stop you from having treatment similar to that which a younger person would be given.

Often only minor assistance is needed – such as meals on wheels and help with washing or dressing. Yet these services could make a big difference to your life.

Family Support Families with disabled children may be eligible for Family Support to help you look after your child. This can include day care for children under five, help with parenting such as parenting classes, courses or family support workers, practical home help, and access to a Children’s Centre. Some of these services are available to all families.

If you feel that your needs have changed over time, you will have to be re-assessed. Contact the social care team at your local authority to discuss it with them.

A service helping you, or your relatives, stay at home safely and independently

24 hours a day • 365 days a year STAY SAFE, STAY INDEPENDENT

Call the Life Line team on 01377 256264 21




demohnostme ration

Easy Access & Disabled Adaptions

• Installation of grab rails to internal and external walls

We cover all types of adaptations & home improvements small or large from the installation of grab rails, access ramps, anti-slip flooring all the way to full house conversion

• Stair rails and external rails next to steps • Easy access bathrooms and low level kitchens • Alterations to cupboards for easy access • Door widening and changing opening direction • Steps and ramps to help with external access

We can also help with;

• Ground floor extensions and garage conversions

Roofing Internal & External Decorating Carpentry, Plumbing, Electrics, Kitchen & Bathroom Installs, Garden, Paving & Fencing

• Installation of easier to use light switches, external lighting to front and rear of the property and relocation of power sockets All work is carried out by our own professional & experience trade’s men for a free site survey please call:

Tel: 01706 810367 Mobile: 07707 319271 www.new-projects.co.uk

L.M.B. Limited


Lifts, Stairlifts and Disabled Access Specialists


Experts in lifts, stairlifts and a wide range of disabled access equipment

Ingrowing toenail surgery • Plantarfasciitis • Nail Care Musculoskeletal problems • Fungal nails • Corns & Callouses Orthotics / Insoles • Diabetic footcare • Verrucae

Tel: 01482 868448 • www.footfriend.co.uk

15 Wednesday Market, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire HU17 0DH

• Stairlifts e our Compar ve ti ti compe



• Passenger Lifts


• Wheelchair Access Lifts • Ceiling Track Hoists


• Free Site Surveys Contact:

01482 587311

HU Postcodes Only FOR THE ELDERLY, INFIRM, DISABLED AND HOUSEBOUND If you receive Income Support or Pension Credit Guarantee your dentures will be provided


A Local company with over 25 years experience Working in conjuction with 3 Local Authorities, Nursing Homes and private clients

Dr. Russell Davies. Dentist, GDC 62838 20 years experience of home visits Sharron Daniels Dental Nurse, GDC 136968

TEL: (01482) 886233 / Mob: 07930 550274

www.lmb-stairlifts.co.uk 22


What social care support can I get?

Help in your home or in a care home

Many people’s first impression or thoughts of social care might be a residential care home. In fact, there’s a wide variety of social care services available and most who need social care support will be able to have care provided in their home. The kind of social care support that you can get depends largely on your needs. This means the type of condition you have, or the severity of your disability. For example, if you have a neurological problem that causes you to have trouble walking you may simply require some equipment to help you remain mobile and independent. However, if you have a significant neurological problem that seriously affects your mental capacity or ability to move and look after yourself, you are likely to need a much wider range of social care services. It is worth taking time to think about your specific needs and what you think you might need to help you achieve the best quality of life you can.

You may want to have someone who can come to your home and give you the support you need to live your life. This can include help with tasks such as getting dressed, help with using the toilet, washing, preparing and eating food, cleaning and laundry, getting out and about, and taking part in leisure and social activities. Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire or your local authority will be able to provide you with information and advice on what services are available in your local area.

Community support and activities Some social care services can be provided to help you continue to play an active role in your community and to get out and about and do the things you want to do. For example, you may want to work or to partake in religious or cultural events such as a festival or a sports match. Social care services may be able to support you in a wide range of ways to enable you to continue to do these things, for example a community transport service.

Care and support services might typically include: • equipment • help in your home or in a care home • community support and activities • day centres • home adaptations • residential care • financial support • information and advisory services, and advocacy • support for carers • other support for care

Day centres Visiting a day centre can be a good alternative to moving into a care home. Day centres provide an opportunity to socialise and do activities that might not be available at home and may provide respite for family carers.

Adaptations to your home A common way that social care can support ill or disabled people to live independently at home is simple adaptations to the home. If you have difficulty living at home because of your condition, it is often a better option to improve your home than to move somewhere new. For example, depending on your condition, you might be able to get lowered kitchen surfaces and storage, wider doorways to accommodate wheelchairs or walking frames, or improved flooring to prevent trips and falls.

Equipment Getting the right equipment can revolutionise your life. The ability for you to remain independent sometimes hinges on small factors and tools, such as a jar gripper (to help you remove lids) or ways to raise your seat (so that you can get up more easily), which can make all the difference. However, equipment can also help with weightier issues, for example, hoists to help people with mobility problems get on and off chairs or toilets, or in and out of the bath or bed. The equipment you may be able to access could include monitoring devices that check whether you have left the house if you have a condition, such as dementia, that causes confusion and wandering.

For more information about social care and support for independent living in East Yorkshire Contact: East Riding of Yorkshire Council Customer Services Tel: 01482 393939 or see their Website: www2.eastriding.gov.uk


FOR ALL YOUR MOBILITY NEEDS • Aids to Daily Living • Riser/recliner Chairs • Bath Lifts

• Scooters

• Batteries

• Stairlifts

• Canes

• Walkers

• Power Chairs

• Wheel Chairs



Personal Health Budgets

Can I have a personal health budget as well as a personal budget for social care and support?

Personal health budgets are being introduced by the NHS to help people manage their care in a way that suits them. They have been piloted in a number of places across England and, from April 2014, anyone receiving NHS continuing healthcare have had a right to ask for a personal health budget.

Yes. If you already have a personal budget for care and support from social services and your NHS team agrees, you can also have a personal health budget and ask for both to be combined.

Do I have to have a personal health budget?

What is a Personal Health Budget? A personal health budget is an amount of money to support your identified health and wellbeing needs, planned and agreed between you and your local NHS team. The aim is to give people with long-term conditions and disabilities greater choice and control over the healthcare and support they receive. Personal health budgets work in a similar way to the personal budgets that many people are already using to manage and pay for their social care. Together with your NHS team (such as a GP) you will develop a care plan. The plan sets out your personal health and wellbeing needs, the health outcomes you want to achieve, the amount of money in the budget and how you are going to spend it.

No. If having a personal health budget does not work for you, your local NHS will provide the care you need as it has always done.

What is the difference between a personal health budget, a personal budget, an individual budget and a direct payment? A personal health budget is for your NHS healthcare and support needs. A personal budget is for your social care and support needs. An individual budget includes your social care and support needs plus other funding, such as independent living.

You can use a personal health budget to pay for a wide range of items and services, including therapies, personal care and equipment. This will allow you more choice and control over the health services and care you receive.

A direct payment is one way of managing these budgets, where you get the cash to buy the agreed care and support you need.

You don’t have to change any healthcare or support that is working well for you just because you get a personal health budget, but if something isn’t working, you can change it.

Key points • Personal health budgets should help people get a better service from the NHS. They should not make things worse. • You do not have to have a personal health budget if you do not want one. • You should have as much control over decisions as you want. • NHS and social care organisations should work in partnership with you and with each other. • If you are not able to have a personal health budget, you can still speak to your NHS team about how your needs can be met in another way that is more personal to you.

Who can have a personal health budget? The first group to be able to ask for a personal health budget will be people getting NHS continuing healthcare, which is NHS funded longterm health and personal care provided outside hospital. Local NHS organisations will be free to offer personal health budgets to other people if they think an individual will benefit. It is the Government’s long-term aim, to introduce a right to a personal health budget for people who would benefit from it.

For All Your Mobility Needs

Low Cost Rentals I Sales I Repairs

Te l 0 1 4 8 2 8 8 7 7 9 9 • w w w . a l l - m o b i l i t y. c o . u k 25

A New Beginning

We can help with: • Counselling, Psychotherapy & CBT • Relationships & Marriage Guidance • Confidence Building & Assertiveness • Stress, Anxiety & Depression • Sexual Issues & Addictions • Anger Management & Relaxation • Eating Disorders, Phobias & OCD • Weight Loss & Confidence Hypnotherapy • Personal Development & Life Coaching

The West-Gate Clinic of Osteopathy and Complementary Therapies

Irene Bradbury D.O. Registered Osteopath and Associates


Cranial Osteopathy

Sports Injury Therapy

Nutritional Therapy



Foot Health Care




Open 6 days a week Late Night Monday and Thursday

info@thewest-gateclinic.com www.thewest-gateclinic.com

NL Group Homecare The Riverside Building, Livingstone Road, Hessle HU13 0DZ

Tel: 01482 60 60 40 www.nlgroup.co.uk

The West-Gate Clinic of Osteopathy and Complementary Therapies 28 West-Gate, Driffield, YO25 6SY 26


Admitting you are struggling does not mean you are “mentally ill”, that doctors will automatically put you on medication, or you will have to immediately tell your employer you are mentally unwell. Many issues can be managed without the help of a GP by using the variety of sources of help now available, whether it’s through books, local organisations or online.

Providing supported accommodation for single men with mental health issues

Even if you need professional help, there are choices you can make along the way. Mental illness is treatable and, with appropriate support and treatment, people do recover. Many move on with their lives and are able to care for their family, contribute to the local community, and get back into employment or training.

T. 01262 673795

How your GP can help

Mental health, emotional wellbeing and resilience is all about how we cope with what life throws at us. It concerns the way we feel about ourselves, conduct relationships, handle stress or deal with loss.

You should make an appointment to see your GP if you've been feeling depressed for a few weeks or your anxiety is having an impact on your daily life, such as stopping you from going to work or shopping. Mental health services are free on the NHS, but you will usually need a referral from your GP to access them.

Good mental health and resilience are fundamental to good physical health, relationships, education and work, as well as being key to achieving our potential.

Mental health facts At least one in four people experience a diagnosable mental health problem in any one year, and one in six experiences this at any one time.

Support and advice for people living with mental illness. Tel: 0300 5000 927 (Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm) www.rethink.org

• More than half of those with a common mental health problem have both depression and anxiety. • There are approximately 570,000 people with dementia in England, a figure that could double in the next 30 years.

Confidential support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Tel: 08457 90 90 90 (24-hour helpline) www.samaritans.org.uk

• Nearly 850,000 children and young people aged five to 16 years have a mental health problem – about 10% of the population. Fewer than one in 10 accesses treatment. Common mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, panic disorders, phobias and obsessive compulsive disorder can cause great emotional distress, and can affect how you cope with day-today life and your ability to work.

Promotes the views and needs of people with mental health problems. Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm) www.mind.org.uk

Less common conditions, such as psychosis, can make you experience changes in thinking and perception severe enough to significantly alter your experience of reality. These conditions include schizophrenia and affective psychosis, such as bipolar disorder, and can have the same lifelong impact as any long-term physical condition.

Information on child and adolescent mental health. Services for parents and professionals. Tel: Parents' helpline 0808 802 5544 (Mon-Fri, 9.30am-4pm) • www.youngminds.org.uk 27


Specialists in supporting people with autism, challenging behaviour and other complex needs

WHAT WE DO ... • Provide support to people with autism and other complex needs to live independently as possible, in residential care or their own home • Deliver activities and events to support individuals and their families • Help people with all types of challenging behaviour to receive education and training programmes ... and much more • Raise self esteem and confidence • Promote respect and dignity for self and others • Ensure involvement in the wider community

We want to create an environment where we provide the specialist care and support our clients need to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives. Get the best out of life by calling


Supported Living

01964 613168


231-237 Queens Terrace | Withernsea | East Yorkshire | HU19 2HH


Short Breaks


A carer is anybody who looks after a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, frailty or disability. Many carers don’t see themselves as carers and it takes carers an average of two years to acknowledge their role as a carer. It can be difficult for carers to see their caring role as separate from the relationship they have with the person they care for, whether they are a parent, son, daughter, sibling or friend. They simply may think of themselves as a friend or family of the person they care for. It is because of this that they often don’t realise there is help available to them as well. Such as how they can get assessments, direct payments, home care, housing adaptations or funding for short breaks and respite.

Carers Direct helpline

Some carers can suffer from poor health because of the demands of their caring role. For example, back pain can result from lifting or moving the person being cared for. It may also be difficult to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine while caring.

Call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 if you need help with your caring role and want to talk to someone about what options are available to you. If you are busy at certain times of day, you can send us a message to ask us to call you back for free at a time that is convenient to you. The helpline is open from 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and from 11am to 4pm, at weekends. The helpline is closed on bank holidays.

Without the right support, being a carer can be an extremely stressful role. • Ask for help: We all need help from time to time and carers are no exception. Help is out there, you only need to ask! • Know your rights: It sounds simple, but knowing what you’re entitled to and what support is available can help a great deal.

Information The helpline advisers can give you information to help you make decisions about your personal support needs and the needs of the person you're looking after. This information includes assessments, benefits, direct payments, individual budgets, time off and maintaining, leaving or going back to work or education.

• Tell your GP: Your GP practice can record that you are a carer to ensure you get your annual flu vaccination and additional support as a carer. • Get an assessment: This can sound a little daunting at first, but ensuring that you and the person you care for get a assessment of your needs through the Local Authority can give you access to a whole host of additional practical help and support.

The helpline staff will tell you how to complain if anything goes wrong with any of the services you use or put you in touch with your local authority or NHS services.

• Be a little selfish! We all need time to ourselves, but it’s particularly important for carers. This could be as simple as setting some me time aside for a relaxing bath or a night out.

For information about support for carers in East Riding contact: The Carers Support Service on Freephone: 0800 917 6844 or 01482 396500


A ‘Daily Hot Meals on Wheels’ Service

“Delicious freshly prepared food” Hot, fresh meals delivered 365 day a year. You will receive a hearty hot lunch and a light tea • You will have no worries about reheating frozen food • Special diets: e.g. diabetic, low salt & sugar free catered for • Order your weekly choice of meals from our diet sheet which is collected each Friday • We offer a basic shopping service which is delivered with your ordered meals (see reverse of menu sheet). • You will receive an invoice for payment at the end of each calendar month • You can pay by cheque, visa/debit card (1% subcharge for credit card) • Delivery to local areas, please ring for information • All staff have a DBS clearance (police check). Lunch: Soup of the day. Hot main mean (choice of two) Or jacket potato/salad, Hot dessert Evening Sandwich of your choice Piece of small fresh fruit Small packet of biscuits

Delivered daily between 11:30am-1:30pm www.dailyhotmealsonwheels.co.uk For further information and enquiries contact: 01482 865577/07772 033590

Orchard View

DAY CARE CENTRE Person centred care for the elderly in a secure and caring environment 7 days a week 6.00am – 11.59pm • Our day services can help you keep active, meet with other people and give your carer a break. • Regain confidence after a fall or spell in hospital • Assistance with personal grooming Try us for R A DAY • Enjoy the variety FREEjustFO mention ch of activities Healthwat For more information call provided 01405 760099 • Amenities to encourage daily or visit living ... cooking, cleaning, www.devonshirecare.co.uk laundering, gardening for a full range of services

Quality Residential Old Rectory & Dementia Care Residential Home in East Riding Bempton

What we offer:

Residential - Long & Short Term Day Care & Respite Care Services Please call in for an informal chat or visit and look round with no obligations

Call: 01262 850072

Goole Hall | Swinefleet Road | Old Goole | Goole | DN14 8AX 30


Planning for your future care needs

Claiming Benefits

There may be times in your life when you think about the consequences of becoming seriously ill or disabled.

If you have care needs or a disability there are benefits to help you manage with the extra costs. Most of these benefits aren’t affected by income or savings and you may be able to keep them if you have to go into a care home.

This may be at a time of ill health or as a result of a life-changing event. It may simply be because you are the sort of person who likes to plan ahead.

Why it’s important to claim all the benefits you’re entitled to

Care has never been free and everyone should think about the care they might need in the future. The long-term costs of care can be significant, and while none of us like to think that we will become old, ill or disabled, it does happen. Likewise, if you’re the parent of a disabled child, planning their future care and how it will be funded is vital.

The amount you pay towards your long-term care is worked out as if you’re already receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to. So it’s important to claim everything you can, otherwise you’ll end up paying more than you need to

Few of us will have the income or ready access to the cash to pay for their ongoing care needs. Often people find that they need to sell or remortgage their home to pay for care or enter into an equity release scheme. Before taking such significant financial steps it is advisable to get proper independent financial advice.

What benefits are you entitled to? Financial support is available whether you need help to live safely and comfortably in your own home, or you need to move into a care home. What’s more, not all benefits are means-tested. Disability benefits that help with personal care needs or the extra costs of getting around don’t take your income or savings into account


NHS Continuing Care funding If you have a disability or complex medical problem, you might qualify for free NHS Continuing Care. Not many people know about it, so it’s important to find out if you’re eligible and get an assessment.

solicitors www.sandersonssolicitors.co.uk

Sandersons Solicitors | Morton House, Morton Lane, Beverley, HU17 9DD


What is NHS Continuing Care

Power o f Attorn ey

If you need a lot of nursing support, NHS Continuing Care can arrange and fund your care for you. It helps you with health-care needs that result from disability, accident or illness.

Do you need a Lasting Power for yourself or someone you know?

If you qualify, it should meet the full cost of your care including the full fees of a nursing home or hospice, although you can also get the care at home.

Have you ever considered what would happen if at some time in the future you lacked the mental capacity to look after your own financial affairs and/or make decisions regarding your health and welfare? With our specialist advice you can be reassured that your affairs will be managed exactly as you wished, leaving the outcome you always intended.

NHS East Riding of Yorkshire Continuing Healthcare Service

Our Expertise Includes Preparation and updating Wills Powers of Attorney Care Home Fees

Telephone: (01377) 208842 Email: ERYCCG.ContinuingCare@nhs.net

Call now for an initial free consultation on 01482 324662 or if you prefer we will visit you at home. 31


Deferred payment agreements for long-term care

Are there any charges with a deferred payment agreement?

If most of your money is tied up in your property and you have very little savings, your local authority may offer you the option of delaying payments so you don’t have to sell your home immediately to pay for long-term care. This is known as a deferred payment agreement.

The local authority will charge an administrative fee to cover the costs of setting up the deferred payment. You may have to pay valuation costs on the property. Find out more about paying for care on:

www.ageuk.org.uk www.carersuk.org www.findmegoodcare.co.uk www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk www.societyoflaterlifeadvisers.co.uk

How do deferred payment agreements work? The local authority will assess your income and capital to see how much you can afford to pay towards your care. They will then make up the shortfall of the money you need to fund the costs. You will sign a legal agreement with the council, saying that the money will be repaid when your home is sold.

Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) is an independent, national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives who provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers. www.sfe.legal

The council usually ensures that the money you owe in care fees will be repaid by putting a legal charge on your property. It does this by contacting the Land Registry to place the charge. The charge is removed when the outstanding debt is repaid.

For more information about deferred payment agreements in East Yorkshire Contact: East Riding of Yorkshire Council Customer Services Tel: 01482 393939

You can’t usually use more than 90% of the value of your home to pay for fees. This is to leave you or the executor of your will with enough money to cover the sale costs and to make sure the council gets their money back if house prices fall. You can usually only apply to join a deferred payment scheme after you have been in a residential home for 12 weeks or more. Short term stays in care aren’t covered. The money must be repaid within 56 days if you sell your home or you leave the care home. If you die, the money must be repaid within 90 days of your death. If there is a problem repaying the amount, you or the executor of your will should contact the local authority as soon as possible.

Am I eligible to use a deferred payment agreement? • You should have savings and capital of less than a certain amount, not including the value of your home. In England this is £23,250. • Be a homeowner or have another asset that the local authority can use as security and be in long-term residential care. You won’t be able to take out a deferred payment agreement for temporary stays in care.

8 Falsgrave Road, Scarborough North Yorkshire, YO12 5AT


CHOOSING BETWEEN CARE AT HOME OR A CARE HOME According to recent Government figures, nearly all of us want to receive care services at home when we get older. But sometimes you’ll need to consider going into a care home instead. How do you decide? And how much is it going to cost?

Pros and cons of receiving home care Pros • Regular visits from a home care worker to help with personal care, shopping and preparing meals. • Other services include meals on wheels, monitored personal alarms and household equipment to help with everyday tasks. • Local day centres where you can socialise and enjoy various activities, with transport available to get you there. • You get to stay in your own home. • The value of your home isn’t taken into account when calculating how much you have to pay towards your care. • You’ll stay close to what’s familiar to you. • You should retain full control over the care and support you receive.

Thinking through your care options The most important decision to make when considering your care needs is whether you can remain in your own home or need to move into a care home. The decision will be based on what you want and what care you need, but you’ll also need to consider how much it will cost.

Pros and cons of moving to a care home Pros • Trained staff are always on hand. • You’ll always have company. • There will often be organised activities. • No need to worry about utility bills, meals and household chores. • It’s safe and secure.

Cons • It can be lonely. Despite alarm systems and regular visits from carers, you can still be at risk. • Home modifications and equipment can be unsightly and can affect the value of your property. • You may not like support workers coming into your home.

Cons • All your belongings will need to fit in one room. • You may feel that you’ve lost some of your independence. • Pets might not be allowed. • You may not enjoy the company of the other residents in the home.

Home care costs Again, costs are very different depending on where you live and whether you need support during the day or at night, on weekdays or at weekends.

Care home costs Depending on where in the UK you live, care homes can cost an average of:

You should allow an average of about £15 per hour – that’s nearly £11,000 per year if you have a carer for 14 hours a week. If you need full-time care during the day, costs start at £30,000.

£28,500 per year for a residential care home, or £37,500 per year if nursing is required. Remember, you may have to pay extra for things like trips out, hairdressing and some therapies – check what’s included in the care-home fees. If you’re living in a nursing home and are receiving care from a registered nurse or doctor, you might be entitled to be entitled to NHS-funded nursing care. This is essentially a contribution towards your fees, paid by the NHS or your local trust.

If you need carers to move in around the clock, you can easily be talking about more than £150,000. In those circumstances, residential care is usually more cost-effective. You’ll still have the cost of maintaining your house, but you have the advantage of being in familiar surroundings.

A leading provider of Mental Health & Reablement Residential Care To support people who are or who have been subject to MHA 33




Kim’s Mobile Foot Clinic

• What happens if a carer and myself are incompatible? Could a different carer be requested?

Footcare at home at a time convenient to you

• What happens in the event of a medical emergency? Will the agency carer stay with my relative until help comes? Will they notify me of any problems?

S.A.C DIP FHP • Fully Trained Footcare Practitioner

Ingrowing Toenails | Callus Treatments Verrucas | Corns | Fungal Infections Ulcerations | Athletes Foot | Discomfort etc

• How will carers get into my home if I cannot answer the door? How will that information be kept secure?

Footcare is important…. Healthy Feet are Happy Feet!

About the agency

Call 01377 790071 • Mobile 07828 326730

• Do you have a standard contract for work with private clients? Can we see a copy?

If you find it difficult to carry out personal care routines – such as washing or dressing – home care services can provide the extra support that you need. Home care services (also known as domiciliary care) provide carers or personal assistants who can visit you at home to help with a wide range of tasks

• What are your hourly charges? Are there any minimum charges (such as a minimum number of hours per week)? • What happens on weekends and bank holidays? Is care provided? Is there an additional charge at these times?

If you are considering using a home care agency Here is a list of questions you should ask a home care agency; ensure you get all the answers that you need.

• How is payment required – by cheque, direct debit or some other way? How often is payment required? Monthly or weekly? • What insurance do you have to protect my home, for example, in the case of damage to property, the carer making a mistake, or the carer having an accident in my home?

About the carers • Will I have a regular carer? • What will happen if my regular carer is off sick?

• How do you ensure quality of care is maintained? What are your quality assurance policies and procedures?

• What happens if a carer is unable to get to me because of adverse weather conditions or a traffic accident?

• Who should I contact if I have problems with a carer or the service provided?

• How many different carers are likely to visit me?

• Is it possible to try you for a short trial period initially, to see how it works out?

• What sort of training do the carers receive? Do they have an induction period? How often is their training updated?

Regardless of whether you are employing an agency via your personal budget or employing an agency directly (without an assessment from the council), the agency should always carry out their own assessment before offering their own care plan.

• What qualifications do they have? • Will carers keep written records of the care that has been given, and accurate timesheets for me to sign? • Can copies of the records be sent to me if I want them?

Know Your Rights If you have been assessed by the local authority as needing care at home services and qualify for funding they must offer you direct payments as an option. Direct Payments allow you to choose what support you get and who provides it.

About your needs • How will you match the most suitable carer to my needs? • Will you be able to find carer(s) that can visit at the time I need care? 35

The Old Vicarage AT A I R M Y N

Residential Care Home for the Elderly overlooking the River Aire

Quality Accommodation, Facilities & Services

Tel: 01405 763699




Post Code

Care Provider



Data correct with CQC - August 2015 37




NO SHO W WR St , M O OOM ar P ke E tW N e

Choosing the right care home


Hi gh


Choosing a care home is one of the most important decisions you’ll ever make. You need to make sure it’s got everything you need, in a place you’ll be happy, at a price you can afford. When choosing a care home you need to recognise that your care needs are likely to increase over time.

Nursing & Residential Care Homes Commercial & Domestic

How much is it going to cost? Care-home fees vary considerably around the country, but on average you should expect to pay approximately £28,500 a year for a residential care home and £37,500 if nursing care is required.

Roller & Pleated | Conservatory | Vertical Choose from hundreds of different styles and designs, from venetians and roller blinds to energy saving thermal and blackout blinds

For a Free Quote Call us on 01430 872598 or 07910 871784 www.pocklingtonblinds.co.uk

Your local council may be able to help with costs depending on your circumstances.

Before visiting any care homes in person, you need to be very clear about what it is you’re looking for. Make a checklist of the things that are important to you, along with a list of questions to ask the managers and staff. Don’t be embarrassed – you’re about to make a life-changing decision.

Choice of accommodation The law says that where the local authority is funding accommodation it must allow the person entering residential care to choose which care home they would prefer.


Residential Homes


Data correct with CQC - August 2015 39



Old Rectory Residential Home

Qualtiy Care for Private Clients

Specialising in Dementia Care for the elderly By specialising in caring for the frail but still socially-active elderly, Bempton Old Rectory is like no other home. For a start, everything about it is as you would wish your own home to be, from the family-run values to the fact we are small. What we offer: Residential - Long & Short Term Day Care & Respite Care Services

Care as it should be since 1993 Please call in for an informal chat or visit and look round with no obligations Call:

01262 850072 Vicarage Lane, Bempton, Bridlington YO15 1HF



Residential Homes


Data correct with CQC - August 2015 41




Mental Health & Reablement Residential Care Specialising in care and support for adult men and women with mental health issues. To support people who are or who have been subject to MHA

Please call 01482

Specialists in supporting people with autism, challenging behaviour and other complex needs

Residential, Supported Living, Short Breaks and Day Services 01964 613168 www.cascade-care.com

Get the best out of life by calling


46 Northgate | Cottingham | East Riding of Yorkshire | HU16 4EZ

231-237 Queens Terrace | Withernsea | East Yorkshire | HU19 2HH

Eastbourne Villa


Danes Lea Provides Dementia & Mental Health Care for Older People

Quality Residential Care for the Elderly Located in the beautiful town of Hornsea

At Danes Lea we provide high quality 24 hour residential care which is delivered through personalised care planning.

• Excellent Reputation • Recent Modern Refurbishment • Close to the Seaside

We provide respite and day care services

We welcome you to come and have look around for yourselves Contact our Care Manager Gemma Moynes on

Please call 01262

01964 533253


to make an appointment

133 Cardigan Road | Bridlington | North Humberside | YO15 3LP

21 Eastbourne Road, Hornsea HU18 1QS



Residential Homes


Data correct with CQC - August 2015 43



Nursing Homes


Data correct with CQC - August 2015 44


INFORMATION & SUPPORT The following are a selection of organisations providing information and support in the East Riding. If you can’t find what you are looking for please contact Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire’s Information Service Helpline on: 01482 334999 Age UK East Riding

Crohn’s and Colitis UK

www.ageuk.org.uk/eastriding 01482 869 181

www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk (National charity address) Facebook: CCUK Hull and East Yorkshire Group 0845 130 68 32

Alzheimer’s Society www.alzheimers.org.uk

CRUSE Bereavement Care Bridlington

Alzheimer’s Society Hull & East Riding

www.cruse.org.uk 01262 400300

www.dementiaeastriding.org.uk 01482 211255

CRUSE Bereavement Care Goole www.cruse.org.uk 01405 767676

Arthritis Care Group

Chairperson - 01482 447889

CRUSE Bereavement Care Hull

Beverley Community Lift

www.cruse.org.uk 01482 565565

www.bclift.org.uk Car 01482 868082 Minibus service 01482 888226

CRUSE Bereavement Care Youth Website

Blind Children UK

www.blindchildrenuk.org Free phone number 0845 3727414 for local workers


Diabetes UK (Beverley & District) 01430 422064

Breast Friends (HER Breast Friends) www.herbreastfriends.org.uk 01482 221368

East Riding Eating Disorders ERED

Bridlington & District Branch Multiple Sclerosis Society

Epilepsy Action Support Groups

email: eredfocus@outlook.com

www.epilepsy.org.uk 01274 640064; Free helpline 0808 800 5050

www.mssociety.org.uk 01262 605061; 07729410337 (Mobile)

Family Links

Bridlington ADHD Support Group

www.familylinks.org.uk 01865 401800

Carers Support Service East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Guide Dogs- Hull Mobility Team

Freephone 0800 917 6844 or 01482 396500

www.guidedogs.org.uk Free phone number 0845 3727414

Castaway Goole Music Theatre

Headway Hull + East Riding

07851 343585 (Mobile)

www.castaway-goole.co.uk/ 01405 761423

www.headwayhero.org.uk 07538319716 (Mobile)/ 01430 430720

Choices and Rights Disability Coalition

HERIB - Here for People with Sight Loss

www.choicesandrights.org.uk 01482 878778

www.herib.co.uk 01482 342297

Citizens Advice Bureau

Hornsea & District Health Forum 01964 534039

Hull & East Riding

www.citizensadvice.org.uk 0300 3300 888 45

INFORMATION & SUPPORT The following are a selection of organisations providing information and support in the East Riding. If you can’t find what you are looking for please contact Healthwatch East Riding of Yorkshire’s Information Service Helpline on: 01482 334999 Hornsea United Reformed Church Living Well Project

Pensioners Action Group East Riding PAGER Bridlington

Offers support to those who have become, or are in danger of becoming, isolated within the community, via a telephone network. 01964 536544 (to an answer phone)

www.bridlingtonpager.org.uk 01262 409020

Rethink Mental Illness Hull and East Yorkshire Carers Service www.rethink.org 01482 679723

House of Light Post Natal Depression www.pndsupport.co.uk 0800 0432031

Samaritans – Bridlington and District www.samaritans.org/branches/samaritansbridlington-and-district 01262 400400; 08457 909090

Hull & East Yorkshire MIND www.mindhey.co.uk 01482 240200

Samaritans Hull

Hull & East Yorkshire Support Group for Coeliac UK

www.samaritans.org/branches/hull 01482 323456 Text: Samaritans 07725 909090

www.coeliac.org.uk 01482 883347 Email: hulleastriding@coeliac.org.uk

SEED Eating Disorders

www.seedeatingdisorders.org.uk 01482 718130

Lung Cancer Support Group 01482 461090

Skills 4 Holme


www.skills4holme.co.uk 07528 082339

www.ocdsupport.org.uk; www.facebook.com/OCDSupport 07505 823504

Talking Magazine for the Blind

Parent and Child Diabetes UK Group

www.hulltalkingmagazine.org.uk 01482 585822

www.hullandeastyorkshire.diabetesukgroup.org 07970004075 (Mobile)

The DownRight Special Network

Parkinson’s UK Hull and East Riding www.parkinsons.org.uk 0844 225 3634 or 0844 225 3636

Supporting Children with Downs Syndrome www.downrightspecial.co.uk 01482 420160

Parkinson’s UK Pocklington Group

The Encephalitis Society

www.parkinsons.org.uk 0844 225 3634 or 0844 225 3636

www.encephalitis.info 01653 692583 Support Line 01653 699599

Parkinson’s UK Yorkshire & Humber Younger Persons’ Support Group

The National Autistic Society

Penny Brohn Cancer Care

Young Adults Support Service YASS Yorkshire

hulleastridingnas.weebly.com 07917040380


www.pennybrohncancercare.org National helpline: 0845 123 23 10 Local contact: Claire Musgreave; 07742 272137 email: claire.musgreave@pennybrohn.org

www.yassinbrid.org.uk 07865 085973



The right to complain or give feedback about an unsatisfactory service is a key consumer right.

If you are still not happy, you can raise the complaint with the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP Telephone: 0345 015 4033 Textphone: (Minicom) 0300 061 4298 Email: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk Website: www.ombudsman.org.uk The PHSO undertakes independent investigations into complaints alleging that government departments and other public bodies in the UK, including NHS England, have not acted properly or fairly or have provided a poor service.

When should I complain? You should make your complaint as soon as possible. The NHS complaints procedure states that you should make your complaint within 12 months of either the event you are complaining about or as soon as the matter came to your attention. This time limit can be extended as long as the complaint can still be satisfactorily investigated so don’t let this prevent you from contacting NHS England about your complaint.

How to complain about hospitals? If you are unsure of the complaints process, you can ask the provider to give you a copy of the complaints procedure for the service you are unhappy about. This will tell you who to contact, how they handle your complaint and how they will learn from your complaint.

Stage One: Raise problems with the staff in the first instance. Each hospital also has a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which is an impartial, open and confidential service for people who would like information and advice about services or help to resolve concerns or problems when they are using the NHS. They provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you want to make a complaint.

Please note that service providers and commissioners welcome all feedback from clients. The same contact details can also be used if you are pleased with the Service(s) you have used.

For Alfred Bean Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 303966 Email: HNF-TR.pals@nhs.net Contact: Complaints Tel: 01482 303930 Email: HNF-TR.complaints@nhs.net

How to complain about NHS treatment (GPs, dentists, pharmacies or opticians)? Stage One: You can either complain directly to the provider of the service through their processes i.e. to the Practice Manager at your GP surgery or you can complain directly to the commissioner (funder) of the Service i.e. NHS England.

For Bridlington Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01904 726262 Email: pals@york.nhs.uk For Castle Hill Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 623065 Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk or Contact: The Complaints Team Tel: 01482 675048/675542 Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk

NHS England PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT Telephone: 0300 311 2233 Email: england.contactus@nhs.net Please write ‘For the attention of the Complaints Manager’ in the subject line.

For East Riding Community Hospital (Beverley) Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 303966 Email: HNF-TR.pals@nhs.net Contact: Complaints Tel: 01482 303930 Email: HNF-TR.complaints@nhs.net

Website: www.england.nhs.uk


EXPRESSING COMPLAINTS & CONCERNS How to complain about adult social care services?

For Goole and District Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01724 290132 Email: nlg-tr.PALS@nhs.net

If your complaint is about an adult social care service provider, you can contact them directly. This will give the care service the chance to resolve any problem you may have and put things right for you. However, if your complaint refers to an adult social care service funded by East Riding of Yorkshire Council, you can raise any concerns with the Customer Feedback Team in any of the following ways: Write to: Customer Relations Team East Riding of Yorkshire Council County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire HU17 9BA Telephone: 01482 396422 Email: customer.relations@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk Complete a complaints form (available from the Council’s website.) Contact the manager of your usual worker or Contact staff at the Customer Service Network Telephone: 01482 393939 Full details are provided on the EYRC website: www2.eastriding.gov.uk

For Hornsea Cottage Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 303966 Email: HNF-TR.pals@nhs.net Contact: Complaints Tel: 01482 303930 Email: HNF-TR.complaints@nhs.net For Hull Royal Infirmary Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 623065 Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk or Contact: The Complaints Team Tel: 01482 675048/675542 Email: pals@hey.nhs.uk For Scarborough Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01904 726262 Email: pals.york@york.nhs.uk For Withernsea Community Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01482 303966 Email: HNF-TR.pals@nhs.net Contact: Complaints Tel: 01482 303930 Email: HNF-TR.complaints@nhs.net

How to complain about children’s, young people and family services?

For York Hospital Contact: The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Tel: 01904 726262 Email: pals.york@york.nhs.uk

Contact the Customer Feedback Team at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, using the same contacts details as given for Adult Services above. If you are not satisfied with the final reply you get from the care service or your local council, you have the right to ask the Local Government Ombudsman to investigate your complaint.

Local Government Ombudsman

PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH Telephone: 0300 061 0614 Use the on-line complaints form at: www.lgo.org.uk The LGO Website provides a range of detailed guidance on making a complaint.

Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) is a free confidential service. This service helps and supports people making, or thinking about making, a complaint about their NHS funded care or treatment.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The CQC checks that hospitals, care homes, GPs, Dentists and services in your home are meeting national standards. They do not investigate complaints, but they welcome feedback and concerns about health and social care services. CQC National Customer Service Centre Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE1 4PA Telephone: 0300 061 6161 Email: enquiries@cqc.org.uk Use their on-line form: www.cqc.org.uk This Website also gives detailed guidance on how to complain.

East Riding of Yorkshire Independent Complaints Advocacy Community Enterprise Centre Cottingham Road, Hull HU5 2DH Telephone: 0808 802 3000 Email: Erica@carersfederation.co.uk 48

Profile for Healthcare Publications

Healthwatch East Riding Issue 2  

Signposting your Health & Social Care in East Riding

Healthwatch East Riding Issue 2  

Signposting your Health & Social Care in East Riding