Issuu on Google+

Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

News Release The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) Hardeman County Chapter P.O. Box 148 Bolivar, Tennessee 38008 Ken Savage - Chapter President Phone: 731-518-7148 or 731-658-7912 email: kensavage@bellsouth.net

APTA’s 40th Annual Historic Tour Bolivar, Tennessee This year’s the Hardeman County Chapter of APTA will conduct its annual historic home tour on Saturday, May 3, 2014 from 10:00am – 5:00pm & Sunday, May 4, 2014 from 1pm – 5:00pm. This will be the 40th consecutive year for APTA historic tours and hopefully the most successful one yet. Our theme this year is “Places in Time ~ 1824-2011.” We commemorate Bolivar’s 150th anniversary of the burning of the Courthouse and the departure of General Samuel D. Sturgis’ Union forces by displaying our grand Hardeman County Courthouse (rebuilt in 1868). Characters in costume will perform dramas throughout the two day tour. The Little Courthouse Museum, (1824) the original courthouse now our county museum will be on tour. At Magnolia Manor, (1849) the home of Judge Austin Miller and Headquarters for the Union Army by Generals Logan, McPherson, Sherman, and Grant, guests will be greeted by General Grant, himself. Troop encampments will be located at The Pillars, (1828) where folks like Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and President Polk visited. At Polk Cemetery (1845) residents from the past will tell of their days in Hardeman County. The “original owners” of McNeal Place (circa 1862) will greet guests and tell them about their Tuscan-style villa noted for its exquisite Spanish ironwork and their daughter. Visit the wounded soldiers at The Columns (1860). Our tour guests will learn how the sale of Confederate General Otho F. Strahl’s horse paid for stain glass windows at the St. James Episcopal Church (1869). Lunch will be available for purchase at Ingram Hall. Now for the 2011. The “NEW” Maxwell-Bertin House is the latest jewel in our collection. Designed by James Stevens, it is a beautiful spacious home. A must see! This is the first showing of the home to the public. Tickets for this two (2) day event are only $25 each or $20 for groups of ten (10) or more, seniors, students, and APTA members. You can buy your tickets securely using PayPal online on our APTA chapter’s web site: http://thepillars.org/ or also locally at The Chamber of Commerce or The Gallery on the Square in Bolivar, Tennessee. Tickets will be sold at the Hardeman County Courthouse during the two (2) day event. http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

APTA’s 40th Annual Historic Tour Sites Tour Sites: open May 3 ~ 10:00am. - 5:30pm. May 4 ~ 1:00am - 5:00pm The Pillars (1828)

The Columns (1860)

Hardeman County Courthouse

McNeal Place (1862)

Magnolia Manor (1849)

Polk Cemetery (1845)

Little Courthouse Museum (1824)

Maxwell-Bertin House (2011)

St. James Episcopal Church (1869)

Ingram Hall at St. James (@1840) Saturday with Luncheon only

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

News Release The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) Hardeman County Chapter P.O. Box 148 Bolivar, Tennessee 38008

Ken Savage - Chapter President Phone: 731-518-7148 or 731-658-7912 email: kensavage@bellsouth.net

APTA’s Special Preview Party ~ Maxwell / Bertin House Home owners, Doug Maxwell and Hector Bertin are both longtime supporters of APTA. They are pleased to have their new home on the tour for the very first time as a fundraiser for APTA. To make this event even more special, a “Special Preview Party” will be held from 7:00pm – 9:00pm, Friday April 25, 2014. Everyone is invited! Wine and appetizers will be served. Soft music will fill the air. Doug said, “I just want this to be successful for APTA and everyone to have a good time.” Get your tickets for this once in a lifetime event for only $25.00 per person. Purchases can be made securely using PayPal online on our APTA chapter’s web site: http://thepillars.org/ or available at The Chamber of Commerce or The Gallery on the Square in Bolivar, Tennessee. APTA NEED SPONSORS! Your name or company name can be listed in the “Preview Party Program Booklet” as SPONSOR for this event for just $50.00 which includes one ticket. All profits of this event benefit our local Hardeman County Chapter of the APTA. Tickets must be purchased by April 19 for the “Special Preview Party” and Sponsors must commit by April 1. We hope to see you there.

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

Welcome to Hardeman County Tennessee & the 40th Annual Tour of Homes May 3 & 4, 2014 Our “Places in Time” tour remembers those men and women – on both sides of the struggle – and how their lives were affected during and after the War years. 1864 was a pivotal War year for our county – after three years the Union Army ended its occupation of Bolivar - burning down the courthouse and most of the downtown as they left. At each property on the tour, you will meet costumed interpreters telling stories from families and friends who lived through those years in Hardeman County.

Thank you

for visiting us – we hope you enjoy your visit into our county’s past…and that you come back again soon for your next visit! Hardeman County played a critical part in the battles of the Western Theater in the Civil War. The county had two elements that made it a desired prize by both armies – a river and the railroads. The Hatchie River would give an army a waterway to the Mississippi River and the county had both north-south and east-west railroad lines. Control of either would give an army the upper hand, and would allow the Union Army a way to effectively cut off shipments of soldiers and much-needed supplies to West Tennessee. Bolivar was an occupied town for much of the War. The Union Army occupied the town from 1861 to May 5, 1964. Several homes and churches were converted to hospitals to take care of the wounded from battles at Middleburg and Davis Bridge, Shiloh and Corinth – and beyond. The Davis Bridge Shiloh National

Battlefield in the southern part of the county is part of the Military Park and the National Park System.

Polk Cemetery Circa 1845 The land for this cemetery was acquired by James K. Polk Jr., and other Polk family members and on October 23, 1845 it was established as a family cemetery for the descendents of Ezekiel Polk, the patriarch of the Polk family in Tennessee.. All those buried in the cemetery are part of the Polk family line, either by birth or through marriage. http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

St. James Episcopal Church Circa 1869 The first Episcopal services in Hardeman County were held in 1834 and officiated by Dr. Daniel Stevens. Services were held at the Courthouse until 1840 when the lot at the corner of Lafayette and Washington Streets was purchased. The Gothic Revival style church was designed by noted architect Fletcher Sloan. The church’s magnificent 1884 Pilcher organ came to Bolivar in 1885. It was delivered on one of the last flatboats to navigate the Hatchie River; the organ is currently being restored.

The Pillars

Circa 1828 One of the county’s oldest homes was originally built by the Lea family who sold it to Mr. John Houston Bills in 1837. He and descendents of his family would live in the house for over 130 years. Mr. Bills was a politician, merchant, and landowner. He was the nephew of Sam Houston and his first wife, Prudence Tate McNeal Bills was a cousin of President James K. Polk. Frequent visitors to the home included Sam Houston, Andrew Jackson, and the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk. The family donated the house to the Hardeman County Chapter of APTA in the 1960s. The Columns Circa 1860 During the Civil War this house was used as a hospital by the Union Army. The house was purchased George Ingram in 1909; the Ingram family would live in the house until its last surviving member, Miss Elizabeth, died in 1995. Miss Elizabeth operated a kindergarten in the home’s basement for many years and also gave lessons in elocution and dance to young students. The house has been, and continues to be, meticulously renovated to reflect the lives of those who have called it home.

The Little Courthouse Circa 1824 This was the county’s first courthouse and was originally a 2-story log structure that was approximately 20’ x 30’, housing the courtroom on the first floor and the county’s jail on the second floor. When the second, larger courthouse was built, the log structure was moved and became home to the Levi Joy family, the Judge Barry family, and finally the family of Dr. Thomas E. Moore. The Moore family and their descendants resided in the home for over 100 years. They sold the house to the county in 1967; it was renovated by the Hardeman County Chapter of APTA who continue to operate the house today as the county’s museum.

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

McNeal Place

Circa 1858 This elegant Italianate-style home was designed by Samuel Sloan of Philadelphia. The house was built by Colonel Ezekial Polk McNeal for his wife Ann, who was inconsolable after the death of their only daughter, Priscilla, in 1854. The house’s proximity to the Polk Cemetery allowed Mrs. McNeal to visit Priscilla’s grave every day – even gaining permission to cross the Union lines during the Civil War. The pass she was given is still on display in the house. The house has been, and continues to be, owned by the McNeal family and showcases many of the family’s treasures and mementos.

Magnolia Manor

Circa 1849 This gracious 2-story residence was home to the family of Judge Austin Miller for over 120 years. Judge Miller designed and built the 13-inch walls of handmade, sun-dried, red brick. Union Generals Grant, Sherman, Logan, and McPherson used the house as their headquarters during the town’s occupation by the Union Army. Its current owner, Elaine Cox, lovingly restored the home and operates a popular bed & breakfast and offers “Ghost Tours” each October.

Maxwell – Bertin House Circa 2011 This beautiful home near Bolivar is making its first appearance during Home Tour this year. The stately exterior, built in the style of an early 1800’s English country home, continues into the elegant interior. Twelve-foot high ceilings and intricate plaster moldings, columns, and pilasters grace the walls and ceilings throughout the interior. Many of the materials and much of the labor were sourced locally; interior and exterior design of the home was done by Bolivar resident Jimmy Stevens. Photo courtesy of Doug Maxwell

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


Hardeman Co. Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) P. O. Box 148 ~ Bolivar, TN 38008

To purchase tickets… In advance, please contact/visit: Hardeman County Chamber of Commerce, 114 South Main St., 731-658-6554, or On the Square Gallery & Gifts, 109 North Main St., 731-403-0002. Tickets are $25 per person and are good for either day. Special ticket prices of $20 per ticket are available for groups of 10 or more, senior adults, students, and APTA members. On both tour days, tickets may be purchased at the Hardeman County Courthouse for $25 per person. Enjoy an elegant Southern lunch on Saturday, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at Ingram Hall $15/person.

Hardeman County Chapter APTA 731-518-7148 Visit our website at: thepillars.org or “like” us on Facebook Home Tour 40th anniversary logo designed and donated by APTA member Barbara Chambers-Hensley. Brochure design and photography donated by APTA member Lisa Coleman.

http://thepillars.org The Pillars & Little Courthouse Museum


APTA 2014 Historic Tour