viewpoint The Premier Architecture Magazine of the Philippines
Editor in Chief
FRANZ ALFRED JOHANN ALLI
DEN KEVIN FAJARDO
Trade, Business and Investment
RON ODENWALD CALUBAQUIB
MA. ABIGAIL CAMILLE ANGELES
Staff Writers Creative Director
VALERIE MAE ONG CHERIE LYNN TAN
Printing Division Head Circulation Officer Collection Agent Advertising Manager Account Managers
ANDREA DOMINGO CAMILLE DEL ROSARIO IO REGALADO RON CALUBAQUIB STITCH SISON IONNE OCAMPO
HANS ALLI, MICAH ANGELES, DEN FAJARDO, ODENWALD CALUBAQUIB CHRISTINE REYES, APPLE MANAQUIZ, DIOSDADO RUIZ, CATALINA HERRERA, LUIS MANZANO, YSABEL LOPEZ, TRINIDAD PALMA
Contributing Photographers: EAN DACAY, ADAM GUERRERO More Photographers: LEBRON JAMES, KOBE BRYANT, DYWAYNE WADE
FAURA HALL A LOOK INSIDE ONE OF THE OLDEST BUILDINGS IN THE ATENEO
History One of the oldest and most historic buildings stand along the Red Brick Road. The very attractive building, the Padre Faura Science Hall was constructed through a benevolent gift from the people of the United States of America through the Office of American Schools and Hospitals Abroad (Agency for International Development) under the sponsorship of the Jesuit Seminary and Mission Bureau, New York City. The Faura Hall was build to withstand earthquakes, since the school was near the fault line. Padre Faura Science Hall was named after Father Federico Faura, SJ, a Director of the Manila Observatory. He was the first to predict the first typhoon tracks here in the Philippines in the year 1879. Faura was an innovative meteorologist who used advanced instruments during the Spanish period
to accurately predict incoming typhoons in the Philip pines. Since the installation of the Secchi Meteograph the Manila Observatory, led by Faura was successful in predicting typhoons earning sealing the observatoryâ€™ reputation for reliability. They also released a monthly weather periodical, [[Boletin del Observatorio de Ma nila]], that was in demand in the Philippines and othe Far East countries.
As the observatory expanded in different re gions in the Philippines and the Provincial Aragon granted additional people and instruments for the facil ity. Fauraâ€™s health started to fail. He died shortly before the installation a 19-inch refracting telescope would initiate astronomy in the Philippines.
TOP: FAURA HALL FACADE MIDDLE: QUADRANGLE BOTTOM: HALLWAY
The iconic building is â€œtrapped in uniformityâ€?
THE FAURA HALL FACADE
Renovation (as published in http://g.theguidon.com/2011/01/06/sy-2010-11-reloaded)
Sometimes, there is comfort in the pedestrian details of life. The renovation of Faura Hall disrupted the routine of Ateneans and injected a few more shades of red in them than was probably intended. Students pined on Facebook for the gray walls that added to the historic, “earthquake-proof” identity of the building.
Others weren’t opposed to a renovation per se, but preferred a different direction. “They should have made it look more high tech,” says Jaudric Matias, in reference to the SOSE departments housed in the building. “[After all], it does house the most cutting-edge computers and equipment in the school.”
Although she is merely a freshman, Bella Biscocho misses the old look and comments that the iconic building is “trapped in uniformity” with its orange and white neighbors including the dela Costa Hall and the MVP Center.
The “Leong-ification” of the revered Faura Hall may have jolted students out of what was left of their sembreak stupor, but it won’t be long before we adjust to this fresh new look.
THE FAURA HALL QUADRANGLE
Activities The building is home to several department of the Ateneo: the Department of Information and Computer Sciences (DISCS), the Electronics, Computer and Communications Engineering (ECCE) Department, and the Department of Physics. Situated beside Faura Hall, stands a smaller structure that holds the Physics Machine Shop where many of the instrument parts are fabricated according to design specification. (VIEWPOINT)
“The Faura Hall was built to withstand earthquakes.”
STORIES ABOUT ITS SUCCESS
OLD RIZAL LIBRARY The Rizal Library started out as academic books collected by Fathers Vicente Jimenez, S.J. and Jacinto Lloven, S.J back in Intramuros, Manila. This library was considered the first and main library of the school for almost four decades. Fr. Walter J. Claffey, S.J., was appointed as its first director during the time when the administration of school was transferred to the American Jesuits during 1921. But was soon replaced by Fr. Walter Meagher, S.J. a year after and Fr. James Moran in 1924. The library was originally called “Salón de Vistas”, and was later on popularized as the so-called “Rizal Hall.” By 1926, it was considered as one of the most current collections in the city., having an estimate of 11,000 volumes Opposite page; Top to bottom 01 Front 02 Side 03 Steps
over the next 5 years. The Rizal Book Club was founded soon enough in 1928 and was had Fr. Joseph McGrath, S.J. as thier moderator. Unfortunately though, the library was also caught on the fire that spread throughout the campus the next year.
Soon enough, the Ateneo was able to relocate to Padre Faura in Manila and started to build itself once again. with the help of Fr. Theodore Daigler, S.J. and his colleagues. Eventually they were able to collect and assemble a collection large enough to present the new Dewey Decimal System in the library. The Rizal Book Club also regained their status in 1939, having 33 members with a daily circulation of 300 for less than 2000 students. But the Ateneo library was once again destroyed, although this time as a victim of the Second World War. Fr. Jaime Bulatao, S.J. was held responsible in restarting the library for scratch once again while Fr. John Carroll, S.J. continued his efforts during the post-war. The Ateneo now moved to how we see it now, in Loyola Heights, Quezon City. Over the next seven years, Mr. Francisco Singson and Fr. Joseph Maxcy, S.J. were held Opposite page; Top to bottom 01 Back 02 Rear Entrance 03 Pathway
accountable for the development of the Rizal Library. The school celebrated its centennial year in 1959, appointing Fr. Robert J. Suchan, S.J., a professional Librarian as the official director. And by 1967, the inauguration of the first library building came to be with
the help of Ford Foundation, the alumni,
Library was established to accomodate the
and other donors. We now call it the “Rizal
growing number of collections and students.
Library” named after Jose Rizal, the national
The “Old” Rizal Library now houses the
hero of the Philippines and an alumnus of
American the help of Ford Foundation, the
alumni, and other donors. We now call it
By 1980, Mr. Rogelio B. Mallillin was
the “Rizal Library” named after Jose Rizal,
appointed as the new director and within his
the national hero of the Philippines and an
term, he was able to expand the library withe
alumnus of the Ateneo.
the completion of an annex building and a three-storey building. During 1997 - 2001, Mr. Carmelo V. Lopez
The Ateneo Art Gallery is also currently located here. Looking at it now, the Old Rizal Library
became the head of the library and founded
is not only an establishment that promotes
the Rizal Library Board which answers to all
knowledge and excellence but a mark that
issues concerning the library. Mrs. Lourdes
preserves its historical value. We can see
T. David now holds the postion of director of
through the massive pillars and wooden
the Rizal Library.
walls surrounding it, that it was indeed
It was 2009 when the iconic New Rizal
influenced heavily by the spaniards.
Opposite page 01 Inside Top to bottom; Left to Right 02 Second Floor 03 American Historical 04 Filipinana 05 Special Collections
Natural light shines through the middle of the lobby, emanating a sense of majesty and beauty. It is not only a place of learning but a bridge to our cultural roots and heritage.
THE ATENEO ART GALLERY
WORKS FROM REKNOWNED ARTISTS
Opposite page 01 Inside Top to bottom; Left to Right 02 Second Floor 03 American Historical 04 Filipinana 05 Special Collections
The Ateneo Art Gallery - widely recognized today as the first museum of Philippine modern art - showcases works by postwar Filipino artists donated to the Ateneo de Manila University from 1959 to 1961 by the late Fer- nando Zóbel de Ayala (19241984). An internationally renowned painter and art scholar, Zóbel had intended his donation to be the start of a permanent Philippine contemporary collection for the University’s students in the liberal arts. To house and display it temporarily, spaces in Bellar- mine Hall were converted into a gallery which was inaugurated The London-based art vanguard, who is currently artist-in-residence at the AAG, will deliver a lecture titled “Tuloy Po Kayo,” as part of the museum’s long- running “ArtSpeak” series. It will be held at Nov. 23, 4 p.m., at Ateneo Art Gallery, second floor, Rizal Library Special Collections Building (RLSC), Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City. In honor of Medalla’shomecoming, the AAG is likewise
exhibiting its entire collection of the artist’s works, the largest held by any public institution in the Asia-Pacific region. “Tuloy Po Kayo” will reflect upon Medalla’s transnational, multi-disciplinary practice, and will revolve around the different foreign personalities that have shaped Philippine culture through art, music, science, sport and philanthropy . Admission to ArtSepak with David Medalla: “Tuloy Po Kayo” is free and open to the public. source: http://www.philstar.com
shaped Philippine culture through art, music, science, sport and philanthropy . Admission to ArtSepak with David Medalla: â€œTuloy Po Kayoâ€? is free and open to the public. Advance bookings, however, are strongly recommended, as seats are limited. For inquiries, call Ian Jaucian or Thea Garing at 426-6488 or e-mail email@example.com/ Jeepney by Vicente Manasala
source: http://www.philstar.com Girl and Machine by David Medalla Girl Sewing and Sewing Machine by David Medalla
OLD RIZAL LIBRARY STORIES ABOUT ITS SUCCESS
The Ateneo’s main library was first located in the Ateneo campus in Intramuros, Manila. Fathers Vicente Jiménez, S.J. and Jacinto Lloven, S.J. collected books and started a library. Supported by the Ayuntamiento, the first Ateneo library in Intramuros served its purpose effectively for over four decades. In 1921, when the school administration passed to American Jesuits, the Ateneo library was briefly under the care of Fr. Edward Duffy, S.J. Claffey, office director, officially established the library in the Intramuros campus’s “Salón de Vistas,” which was later called “Rizal Hall.” The library’s collection in 1926 was the most up-to-date in Manila. In 1928, the Rizal Book Club was established with Fr. Joseph McGrath, S.J. as moderator. By 1931, the library had around 11,000 volumes but the following year, fire destroyed the campus. The fire devoured all but a handful of books. The Ateneo then transferred to Padre Faura St., still in Manila. There, the library, through the help of friends of Fr. Theodore Daigler, S.J., grew again. So that by 1935, it had built up a collection large
enough for Fr. Thomas Tuite, S.J. to introduce the new Dewey Decimal classification system. Fr. John Treubig, S.J., in 1939, with 33 members of the Rizal Book Club boasted of a daily circulation of 300 in a school of less than 2,000 students. The Second World War destroyed the Ateneo’s library, which was re-started by Fr. Jaime Bulatao, S.J., who introduced the Library of Congress classification system. In 1952, the Ateneo moved from Padre Faura to Loyola Heights, Quezon City. By 1959, the School’s centennial year, a professional librarian, Fr. Robert J. Suchan, S.J. was appointed director. In 1967, the first library building was inaugurated with the help from Ford Foundation, alumni, and other donors. It was named Rizal Library in honor of José Rizal, an alumnus of the university and the national hero of
annex building, a three-storey building, was
the Philippines. The collection grew over the
In December 2008, construction began on the
Mr. Rogelio B. Mallillin became director in
new library building, The new facility was
1980 and a request for an expansion of the
expected to be finished in August 2009 and
library facilities came true in 1989 when an
was opened in November of the same year.
ST. STANISLAUS KOSTKA CHAPEL
RENEWED & REDESIGNED FA I T H
he chapel was originally designed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate in architecture and urban planning, Gines Rivera. He was also responsible for the designs of the oldest part of the Loyola Schools and the Blue Eagle Gym. Rivera planned the Loyola Schools building in the International Style but when he did the High School, he brought in elements from Art Deco, among them the canted pillars of the High Schoolâ€™s main corridor and the splayed sides of the chapel. He used glass blocks and ceramic tiles as design elements.
Opposite page Altar
The chapel design was based on an aborted project to build a central church of the Ateneo, to be located on Sacred Heart Hill. This chapel would have had a rear wall of Polariod glass and a tall cross that could be seen for many kilometers, as if to bless the Marikina Valley. That chapel would have been located where Cervini cafeteria and John Pollock Center are. The school chapel would be linked to the rest of the school by covered walks designed similarly to that of the High School. The chapel was never built, instead it was used for the High School complex, which was inaugurated in 1957. The renovated chapel pays homage to the Art Deco style chosen by Rivera and brings it to completeness through the use of glass blocks as in the old façade, of wrought iron and wood for the doors, and altar piece and the judicious use of opalescent glass and stone. The chapel’s altarpiece is inspired by Psalm 83, which speaks of the loveliness of the house of the Lord. The opening phrases of which are quoted in the altarpiece: “Quam mirabilia tabernacula tua, Domine.” On this altarpiece is a Latin phrase, which the Sanctuary Society and students of the 1950s and the 1960s would be familiar: “Introibo ad altare Dei’ (I will go to the house of God).
Latin texts are quoted elsewhere in the chapel to point to the chapel’s historical link to the 1950s and 1960s when Latin was part of the High School curriculum. “Lux in Domino” is the Ateneo’s motto, inscribed at the altar. Also at the altar is the phrase from the Jesuit boy saint, Aloysius Gonzaga “ad majora natus sum” (I was born for greater things). Carved unto the Stations of the Cross are texts from Scripture alluding to the scene depicted. The wrought iron embellishments of the retablo is a visual rendering of Psalm 83 and Psalm 8, which glorifies the wonder or creation. Tropical plants abound like the banana, anahaw, bird of Paradise or Sterlitza and the lily or lotus. Birds, butterflies and dragonflies symbolize a healthy environment and the Ateneo’s commitment to be responsible for the earth.
The main door of chapel and the doors to the choir loft are recycled from the Chapel of St. Thomas More in Padre Faura. The main door is embellished with eight bronze panels made by Juan Sajid Imao. Seven panels represents sayings from the Gospel of Saint John, where Jesus begins a statement with “I.” These “I-sayings” include “I am the bread of life” and “I am the light of the world.” The tabernacle, also by Sajid, is based on the Resurrection story of Jesus appearing to the disciples by Lake Tiberias or Galilee. The story alludes to the Eucharist. The statuary was carved by Justino “Paloy” Cagayat and his master carvers of Paete, Laguna. The grille work is by Alan Nakpil, and glass was supplied by Formacraft.
Architectural design is Jose “Bong” Recio and his architectural firm. Concept for the chapel interior, statuary and Stations of the Cross is by René B. Javellana, S.J. The architectural drawings for the interior and the technical specifications are by Vincent Martin Pinpin. Contractor is S.C. Castro. Work on the renovation of the chapel began on and was completed on. The chapel was re- dedicated by the Most Reverend Antonio J. Ledesma, Archbishop of Cagayan on 8 December 2011, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Patron of the Ateneo de Manila University.
source: http://www.admu.edu.ph/index.php/oip/downloads/www.chem. admu.edu.ph/www.pathwaysphilippines.org/index.php?p=120&typ e=2&sec=25&aid=10579#.T0M91KgRkmI.facebook