D STRATEGIC INTENT 2014 - 2016
Providing opportunities for every boy to excel.
Hale School Motto
PROVIDING OPPORTUNITIES FOR EVERY BOY TO EXCEL.
Statement of Purpose TO BE A LEADER IN BOYS’ EDUCATION: WHERE STUDENTS ACHIEVE TO THEIR POTENTIAL AND ENJOY THEIR SCHOOL YEARS. WHERE STAFF ARE SUPPORTED PROFESSIONALLY IN AN EXCELLENT WORKING ENVIRONMENT. WHERE SOCIETY BENEFITS THROUGH THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE HALE SCHOOL COMMUNITY.
HALE SCHOOL IS COMMITTED TO UPHOLDING OUR ANGLICAN HERITAGE AND CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.
INTRODUCTION It is with pleasure that this Strategic Intent document is presented to you. It builds on previous iterations of the strategic planning process yet clearly identifies the current stage of development of the School as well as its needs as we move further into the 21st century. The planning groups that were established to drive the direction of the school in the coming years soon recognised the need for change, some more subtle than others, some which may be more pervasive in the longer term. Six pillars, or Key Focus Areas, have been identified and they are underpinned by the School’s Christian Identity. It would be fair to say that as we look forward, we are not focusing on buildings; rather, our energies will be directed towards people and programmes. Our goals which are articulated in this document are bold but achievable. They serve to enhance Hale School’s position as a leader in boys’ education. While there are prescribed elements which must make up part of any strategic planning there must be room for creativity and inspiration. Hale is a dynamic school; our strategic planning must allow for that dynamism. What Hale is becoming has emerged from what Hale is today and what it has been in the past. Our Old
Boys are justifiably proud of what they have built; our present students and their parents are proud of what is happening in their school each and every day. Those entrusted with ensuring that our strategic thinking is relevant, contemporary and inclusive realise that their undertaking is akin to a sacred trust. They are, as the phrase runs, standing on the shoulders of giants. The changes we are making, as identified in the Strategic Intent document, honour the traditions of the past and support the hopes for the future. It is the music of change, and the school is dancing.
JON BIRMAN Chairman, Board of Governors
STUART MEADE Headmaster
Values Teaching and Learning: We encourage a lifelong passion for creativity, innovation and learning.
We act in a manner which demonstrates respect and engenders trust.
We strive for excellence in all that we do.
We contribute enthusiastically as responsible members of the School and wider communities.
We take responsibility for our own actions and have the care and courage to guide others.
KEY FOCUS AREAS 1
Teaching and Learning
To ensure all students achieve to their potential through excellence in teaching and learning.
• Implement next phases of the Australian Curriculum (AC). • Use data and research to inform teaching and learning practices. • Enhance teachers’ classroom practices to improve student achievement, creativity and engagement. • Explore national and international links in teaching and learning.
To ensure that all students are connected through positive relationships and feel supported, safe and valued.
• Develop and implement shared, consistent, aligned and interdependent pastoral care practices and programmes. • Address the changing needs of the student community.
To provide opportunities to develop students’ skills, values, capacities and interests beyond the classroom.
To create and support a positive community in which staff are highly effective in their roles.
• Maintain breadth and quality of co-curricular offerings throughout the school.
• Embed effective Human Resource Management practices in the School.
• Ensure all staff contribute and add value to the co-curricular programme.
• Provide opportunities for staff to review, reflect and learn so that they may professionally grow and contribute further to the School.
• Enable greater opportunities for boys to connect and engage with the internal and external community.
Resources and Infrastructure OUR GOAL
To provide and maintain appropriate resources and infrastructure to support the School’s Strategic Plan, future growth and environmental sustainability initiatives. THE STRATEGY • Identify resource and infrastructure requirements. • Investigate opportunities to provide alternative revenue sources. • Identify and address risks that have or may have a significant impact on the School.
• Develop a staff culture characterised by self-efficacy, innovation and collaboration.
Community OUR GOAL
To strengthen and invigorate positive and enduring relationships between Hale and the broader community. THE STRATEGY • Create and strengthen broad and enduring relationships within regional, national and international communities.
Duty Hale Road, Wembley Downs WA 6019 CRICOS Provider Code 00438C