The Military Aviation Museum Founded in 2005, the Military Aviation Museum displays and provides a permanent home for more than 25 Second World War and earlier vintage flying aircraft in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The museum’s on-going mission is to preserve, restore and fly these historic aircraft and to allow a new generation to experience and learn from what their fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers might have endured on the lonely airfields and in the skies so very far from home. The original founders of the museum, Gerald and Elaine Yagen, have spent years collecting and restoring these beautiful aircraft. Their enthusiasm started with Gerald Yagen’s passion for aviation.
Jerry Yagen at the controls of his Supermarine Spitfire Mark IXe
Greetings to all of our many visitors and participants for our annual display of Warbirds Over the Beach. We welcome all of you and hope that it will be a memorable occasion that all of us will forever remember and treasure. Warbirds Over the Beach will be a weekend for everyone to experience a time from the first half of the last century when our country was unified with its’ allies for a common cause. A cause which was quite clear and much simpler to understand. It is a time when that generation is rapidly fading into the past, but will certainly never be forgotten. The technology and development of multiple new aircraft will never again be repeated. These artifacts of history were discarded by the thousands after the war, only to be treasured today and painstakingly reconstructed and restored to their former brilliance. They are the real stars of the show! Our thanks go out to the many reenactors, musicians, supporters, volunteers and everyone that has helped to make this such a huge success. I hope you will have as much enjoyment experiencing our air show as we have had preparing it for your entertainment. Sincerely,
David Hunt, Director Military Aviation Museum
It was in 1994, where after visiting the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, Ontario, Gerald Yagen obtained his first vintage aircraft for his personal weekend flying. As his quest for additional aircraft continued, he soon learned that Second World War vintage aircraft were few and far between. He would soon find himself traveling around the world in search of these rare and historic aircraft. His first discovery led him to the wrecked remains of a P-40E Warhawk previously recovered north of the Arctic Circle in Russia. After retrieving the plane, it was shipped to Norfolk, Virginia...in pieces. He and a small team of technicians then began the daunting task of a full restoration of the P-40E, but quickly discovered that finding the necessary parts and components to complete the restoration wouldn’t be as easy as acquiring them at the local repair shop. The original manufacturers have long since gone out of business! Later searches would uncover many more aircraft. After the P-40E was acquired, a second aircraft was discovered, and much closer to home! The rare Chance Vought Corsair was originally found while being stored in an owner’s backyard in the Bay Island community of northern Virginia Beach. As it turned out, this rare and historic aircraft had flown off the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid during the battle of Okinawa in the Second World War. In addition, the Military Aviation Museum’s Corsair also maintains the lowest total flight time hours of any Corsair flying today! As time went on, Gerald Yagen’s passion for obtaining and restoring these rare aircraft eventually laid the foundations for today’s Military Aviation Museum. In the process, it was learned that the real “discovery” was not just the aircraft themselves, but that of the history they were a part of and the stories of the brave men and women who flew them. The Military Aviation Museum is truly a “living museum” and will continue to grow. Several new aircraft are nearing full restoration and will be added to the museum’s collection this year. At the same time, five new additional structures, including a new aircraft maintenance facility as well as a 15,000 square foot hangar to house aircraft from the Great War, will proceed with construction in late spring of this year. Bring your family, friends and guests often and enjoy “rolling back the hands of time.” For information regarding scheduled flight demonstrations, seminars or visiting aircraft, please call them at (757) 721-PROP. The Military Aviation Museum is located at 1341 Princess Anne Rd. in the Pungo area of Virginia Beach.
ON THE COVER “Lighthouse Raid” by Alan Hailston As an avid aviation enthusiast, Virginia Beach artist, Alan Hailston, has once again designed and produced this year’s Warbirds Over The Beach show poster and show program guide. His unique art, combining a ball point pen drawing with watercolor, depicts the museum’s PBY5A Catalina, TBM-3E Avenger, Wildcat and FG-1D Corsair flying over the Cape Henry Lighthouses on Fort Story in Virginia Beach. A limited number of his original art prints for both the 2009 and 2010 shows are on sale in the museum’s gift store. You can view Alan’s portfolio of work online at www.hailstonproductions.com.
Saturday & Sunday, May 22 & 23, 2010 12:15pm
T-6 TEXAN Tainers formation flying WAVIER IN EFFECT - FIELD CLOSED 1:00pm Trainers fly-by 1:20pm T-6 TEXAN Group fly-by and landing 1:35pm P-40 KITTYHAWK takes off and holds, southeast 1:35pm VAL DIVE BOMBER takes off and holds, northwest 1:35pm L-5 STINSON takes off and holds, southwest 1:36pm Germans chase downed pilot 1:40pm L-5 STINSON arrives for pilot rescue 1:45pm P-40 KITTYHAWK arrives & holds off Germans 1:55pm L-5 STINSON departs with rescued pilot, holds southeast 2:05pm VAL DIVE BOMBER: December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor 2:15pm P-40 KITTYHAWK shoots down VAL 2:21pm JU-52 & STORCH take off, fly-by and landing 2:40pm PBY-5A CATALINA take off, fly-by and landing 3:00pm Bombers take off, fly-by and landing 3:20pm Fighters take off, fly-by and landing 4:00pm Field open All times listed are approximate and subject to change due to advance printing deadlines of this booklet and weather conditions.
Sat., May 22 8:00 pm AIR SHOW (Premier Broadcast) Sat., May 29 2:00 pm AIR SHOW (Encore Broadcast) Sun., May 30 10:00 pm AIR SHOW (Encore Broadcast) Sat., June 5 5:00 pm AIR SHOW (Encore Broadcast) WINGS is produced and published by Hailston Productions, LC on behalf of the Military Aviation Museum. Any use or unauthorized reproduction of any part of this publication is strictly forbidden. Copyright 2010 Hailston Productions, LC. Sales & marketing: Alan Hailston Graphic design: Alan Hailston Page design & composition: Marcia Hailston Historical research: Felix Usis; museum historian
SATURDAY, MAY 22 HANGAR STAGE 10:00 AM 10:30 AM Theresa Eaman 10:30 AM 11:00 AM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 11:00 AM 11:45 AM Hampton Roads Metro Band 11:45 AM 12:00 PM Frank Sings Frank 12:00 PM 12:30 PM Hampton Roads Metro Band 12:30 PM 1:00 PM Silver Tappers 1:00 PM 3:00 PM AIR SHOW 3:00 PM 3:45 PM Symphonic Artistry 3:45 PM 4:00 PM Lakewood Dance and Tap 4:00 PM 5:00 PM Symphonic Artistry 5:00 PM 5:30 PM Frank Sings Frank 5:30 PM 6:00 PM The Victory Belles 6:00 PM 6:30 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 6:30 PM 7:00 PM Frank Sings Frank 7:00 PM 7:45 PM SuperBand 7:45 PM 8:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 8:00 PM 8:45 PM SuperBand 8:45 PM 9:00 PM Frank Sings Frank 9:00 PM 9:15 PM Theresa Eaman 9:15 PM 10:00 PM SuperBand SATURDAY, MAY 22 OUTDOOR STAGE 10:00 AM 10:30 AM Frank Sings Frank 10:30 AM 11:00 AM The Victory Belles 11:00 AM 11:30 AM Theresa Eaman 11:30 AM 12:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 12:00 PM 12:30 PM Frank Sings Frank 12:30 PM 1:00 PM The Victory Belles 1:00 PM 3:00 PM AIR SHOW 3:00 PM 3:30 PM Theresa Eaman 3:30 PM 4:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 4:00 PM 4:30 PM Frank Sings Frank 4:30 PM 5:00 PM The Victory Belles 5:00 PM 5:30 PM Theresa Eaman 5:30 PM 6:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 6:00 PM 6:30 PM Frank Sings Frank 6:30 PM 7:00 PM The Victory Belles SUNDAY, MAY 23 HANGAR STAGE 10:00 AM 10:30 AM Theresa Eaman 10:30 AM 11:00 AM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 11:00 AM 11:45 AM The Victory Belles 11:45 AM 12:00 PM Frank Sings Frank 12:00 PM 12:15 PM Theresa Eaman 12:15 PM 1:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 1:00 PM 3:00 PM AIR SHOW 3:00 PM 3:45 PM Hampton Roads Metro Band 3:45 PM 4:15 PM Frank and Theresa Duet 4:15 PM 5:00 PM Hampton Roads Metro Band SUNDAY, MAY 23 OUTDOOR STAGE 10:00 AM 10:30 AM The Victory Belles 10:30 AM 11:00 AM Frank Sings Frank 11:00 AM 11:30 AM Theresa Eaman 11:30 AM 12:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 12:00 PM 12:30 PM The Victory Belles 12:30 PM 1:00 PM Frank Sings Frank 1:00 PM 3:00 PM AIR SHOW 3:00 PM 3:30 PM Theresa Eaman 3:30 PM 4:00 PM Ultimate Abbot and Costello 4:00 PM 4:30 PM The Victory Belles 4:30 PM 5:00 PM Frank Sings Frank
The Fighter Factory in Suffolk, Va. purchased the B-25 in October 1997. The plane remained with Vintage Aircraft, Inc. at Air Acres, Woodstock, Georgia for restoration. During the restoration, a clear nose was restored on the aircraft, which made the museum’s aircraft again a B25J.
North American B-25J “Mitchell” 1944 The museum’s North American B-25J-25/27-NC ‘Mitchell’ United States Army Air Force (USAAF) serial number 44-30129 (North American C/N 108-33414) was built in Kansas City, Kansas and delivered to the USAAF in late 1944. The average 1944 procurement cost for each B-25 delivered to USAAF that year was $142,194. Originally, the plane was equipped with a radome in the nose and surveillance equipment in the fuselage. Following the Second World War, it was converted into a training aircraft with the removal of the surveillance equipment and re-designated a TB-25J. Then, modified into a TB-25K, the buzz number BD-129 was added. Norton Air Force Base, now San Bernardino International Airport, California was home to this Mitchell for several years, where it was finally re-designated as a TB-25N trainer. By December 1957, it had been declared surplus and was being stored at Davis-Monthan AFB, which is a base selected as a storage site for hundreds of decommissioned aircraft. The United States Air Force (USAF) removed the aircraft from the inventory in 1958 with a total of 6,829:05 flight hours. It was then registered with a series of owners. The first was P. J. Murray, of Oxnard, California, who purchased this B-25 from the USAF for a grand total of $1,718.00 on June 16, 1958. He registered it with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and received the registration number it has today (N7947C).
Still known as “Wild Cargo”, it flew for the first time since the landing gear accident in 1963, on November 19, 2005, Carl Scholl and Tony Ritzman from Aero Trader ferried the airplane from Air Acres in Georgia to Lawrenceville, Georgia. It was kept at the Aviation Institute of Maintenance (AIM) facility at Gwinnett County Airport at Lawrenceville undergoing continuing work and several test flights. Eventually, it was flown to the Fighter Factory facility, the museum’s maintenance facility at the Suffolk Executive Airport in Virginia for additional work in preparation for final painting in Canada. After the painting was complete, it was flown back to the Fighter Factory in August 2008. There it had the final acceptance checks and the “Wild Cargo” nose art applied. It was then flown to the Military Aviation Museum on Friday, August 29, 2008. — Research by Felix Usis North American B-25 Mitchell Specifications Country of Manufacturer: Manufacturer: Engines: Empty Weight: Loaded Weight: Max Take-off Weight: Max Speed: Length: Height: Wingspan: Ceiling: Crew:
gunner, tail gunner, two waist gunners
The next of a series of owners was American Investments Syndicate, La Mesa, California, who transferred ownership internally multiple times from September 19, 1958 until 1962. Mr. C. C. Wilson, San Diego, California purchased it from the last registered owner on November 18, 1962. He sold the B-25 almost immediately on January 4, 1963 to Aero Enterprises of Elhart, Indiana. It was sold again less than 3 weeks later. Arthur Jones of Skidell, Louisiana was added to the list on January 21, 1963. He began to use the museum’s B-25, then named “Wild Cargo”, to fly exotic animals (rare snakes and other creatures) from Latin America to stores in the United States. On one such flight into Lumpkin Field in Cincinnati, the bomber had 1,500 snakes aboard for the Cincinnati Zoo, when the pilots experienced both an engine problem and a landing gear malfunction. After landing on the belly of the plane, the airport needed three days to round up most of the snakes. The plane was dragged off the runway and lifted to again sit on its landing gear by Cincinnati Aircraft, Inc. The rightful owner never returned to claim the plane. Court action ensued and the local sheriff’s office eventually auctioned it off. It was then purchased by Cincinnati Aircraft Inc, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Walter Soplata, who has a large collection of aircraft, purchased the plane in September 1964 for only $500.00, and with the help of his son, dismantled the aircraft and took it to his house in Newbury, Ohio. After almost three decades of sitting on his property, Walter Soplata sold the plane to Steven A. Detch of Vintage Aircraft, Inc. in December 1990.
United States North American Aviation 2-Wright R-2600 Cyclone radials 1,750 hp each 21,120 lbs 33,510 lbs. 41,800 lbs 275 mph 52 feet 11 inches 17 feet 7 inches 67 feet 6 inches 25,000 feet Seven; pilot, co-pilot, tail gunner, navigator / bombadier / nose
“Wild Cargo” undergoing finishing touches at the Fighter Factory in Suffolk, Va. -2006
Beautiful hand painted “Sheena Of The Jungle” nose art by Steve Atkin and Alec Kinane
Boeing P-26D “Peashooter” The Boeing P-26, commonly known as the Peashooter, was the first mass produced monoplane fighter aircraft built by any U.S. manufacturer. It was also the last open cockpit, fixed landing gear, externally braced pursuit aircraft to serve in the U.S. Army Air Corps. The P-26 had a reasonably short operational life, only about eight and a half years. It would become one of the best known and loved aircraft of the pre-war era. The P-26 was the second mass-produced pursuit plane built by the Boeing Aircraft Company in Seattle, Washington. Buoyed by sales of the superb P-12/F4B biplane pursuit aircraft, Boeing’s engineers set out to design and build the first monoplane pursuit aircraft for the U.S. military. Boeing already had experience in the field of monoplanes with the Army XP-9 and the model 200 Monomail, both of which were completed in the late 1920s. Although the Army was very interested in the Boeing monoplane proposals, budget constraints and military politics held up funding for the project. The P-26 entered service with U.S. Army Air Corps units when the first P-26As were delivered to the 20th Pursuit Group at Barksdale Field, Louisiana in December of 1933. Initially, three Army Air Corps groups flew the P-26 operationally – the 1st PG at Selfridge Field, Michigan; 17th PG at March Field, California; and the 20th PG. The development of higher performance pursuits, like the Seversky P-35 and Curtiss P-36, soon relegated the P-26s to second line units. In the Spring of 1937, P-26s were sent to the 3rd Pursuit Squadron at Nichols Field in The Philippine Islands. By 1940, P26s were in service with the 37th PG protecting the Panama Canal Zone; with the 15th and 18th PGs at Wheeler Field, Hawaii; and with the 31st PG, which had taken over both the P-26 and P-35 assets previously assigned to Selfridge Field. Only two original Boeing P-26 “Peashooter” aircraft exist in the world today. One is at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California, the other is at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. Both aircraft were obtained from the Guatemalan Air Force. Our own P-26 recreation and the Chino aircraft are the only flyable versions of this style of aircraft. The Military Aviation Museum’s P-26D (NX26PX, s/n 32-06) was built by Mayocraft of Bolton, Massachusetts and competed in 2006. The aircraft has been painted to represent the 1st Pursuit Group, 94th Pursuit Squadron, based at Selfridge Field, Michigan, circa 1935-36. The standard paint scheme used on the P-26 was very bright, making the aircraft easily identifiable by an enemy during aerial combat. The peacetime color was blue for the fuselage with the wings and tail painted yellow. In combat areas, like the
Philippines, the color was changed to olive drab, making it more difficult to be located while in the air. The P-26 represented the state-of-the-art aircraft design for the early 1930’s. Indeed, for a brief time, the P-26 was the Army Air Corp’s first line pursuit fighter and the fastest of its type in the world. However, rapid advances in aeronautics at that time soon rendered it forgotten, eclipsed by more powerful designs that drew heavily on the P-26’s parentage.
− Research by Felix Usis
P-26 Peashooter Specifications Manufacturer: Powerplant: Horsepower: Length: Wingspan: Height: Weight Empty: Weight Loaded: Maximum Speed: Combat Radius: Service Ceiling: Armament: Crew:
U.S.A. Pratt & Whitney R-1340-7 “Wasp” radial engine 600 hp 23 feet 7 inches 28 feet 0 inches 10 feet 0 inches 2,196 lbs. 3,360 lbs. 234 mph 360 miles 27,400 feet Two 30 inch M1919, Browning machine guns, One 200 lb. bomb One
Bill Riley As Bud Abbott
Jason Crutchley as Scoop Fields
Joe Ziegler as Lou Costello
The Ultimate Abbott & Costello Tribute Show Bill Riley and Joe Ziegler transform themselves into Bud Abbott and Lou Costello through vintage dress and an authentic recreation of the team’s mannerisms and vocal stylings. They perform with pinpoint accuracy many of the vaudeville and burlesque routines made famous by Bud and Lou on stage, screen, radio and television, including the classic baseball routine, “Who’s On First?”. Bill Riley is a native of Paterson, New Jersey (which incidentally was Lou Costello’s hometown!). He is an actor, comedian and musician who has been performing since 1960. Riley came to Baltimore in 1985 along with his wife, Gina, and son, Bryce. Bill retired as Director of Broadcasting at The Sheffield Institute for the Recording Arts in August 2008. Joe Ziegler, born and raised in Baltimore, has been a professional performer since the age of fifteen. “Making people laugh is what I love to do” says Ziegler. Joe, along with his wife, Sherry, has won numerous awards in years past for their portrayal of another famous duo - Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy - including a Baltimore’s Best award in 1982. Riley and Ziegler met in 1986, when Riley attended the broadcasting school where Ziegler was Dean of Students and taught commercial writing and promotions. In 1987, Riley joined the staff to take the position of Radio Director and a comedy partnership was born. While both Ziegler and Riley had worked with various partners through the years - their love and admiration of Abbott and Costello combined with their own comedic chemistry and friendship sparked to form a partnership that has flourished. They have performed as Abbott and Costello since 1994 for various corporate and local business functions, private parties, civic groups, fund raisers and on radio and television. They regularly appear aboard all The John W. Brown/Project Liberty Ship “WWII Living History Cruises”, and perform yearly at The Mid-Atlantic Air Museum’s “WWII Weekend” in Reading, PA and each New Year’s Eve at various “First Night”
events to SRO crowds. In May 2004, it was their great pleasure to perform in Washington, D.C. at the Disabled American Veterans’ Dinner as a part of the WWII Monument Celebration/Dedication Ceremony. Bill and Joe have worked together and independently in various capacities in radio, performed as extras in several movies, and acted in and done voice-over work for local and national commercials. In addition, Joe owns and operates a Mobile Disc Jockey company, “Hot Wax Productions”. Jason Crutchley originally began working with the team as their sound engineer and announcer in 2002. In 2004, the duo became a trio, as Jason joined Bill and Joe on stage as “Scoop Fields - Ace Press Agent”. Jason also appears as various other characters in a number of routines. Prior to joining Riley and Ziegler, Crutchley, of Pylesville, MD, had worked behind the scenes in several North Harford High School productions as prop master and stage hand. He then went on to act in school musicals and stage shows, including several comedic lead roles. He currently is a Computer Network and Systems Administrator at The Baltimore Lab School. In September 2006, The Golden Radio Buffs of Maryland, awarded The Ultimate Abbott and Costello Tribute Show the clubs highest honor, “The Golden Mic Award”. This award was presented to Bill, Joe and Jason for their efforts to keep the memory and spirit of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello alive in the hearts of those who remember their comedic talents and for introducing these comedy legends to new generations. For more information or to obtain services of Bill Riley (Bud Abbott), Joe Ziegler (Lou Costello) and Jason Crutchley (Scoop Fields) please call:410-335-3084; website: www.UltimateAandC.com; email: LouCostello@UltimateAandC.com.
North American P-51D “Mustang” In April of 1940, the North American Aircraft Company was given 120 days by the British Purchasing Commission to produce a flying, advanced fighter prototype that met all of their specifications. With the laminar-flow wing to reduce drag, ducted coolant radiator under the fuselage and wide-track landing gear, the 1,150hp Allison engine easily achieved outstanding marks from the British for the North American P-51 Mustang. The Royal Air Force began receiving the Mustang I variant two months before Pearl Harbor. Equipped with
four .50 caliber and four .303 caliber guns. The design of the Mustang allowed it to carry sufficient amounts of ammunition as well as two to four times the amount of fuel as its rivals, making it ideal for long range missions. As the war progressed, air to air combat began to occur at higher and higher altitudes. It was quickly discovered that the thin air at higher altitudes greatly reduced the performance of the Allison engine and the Mustang was relegated to low level reconnaissance and photographic missions. The United States Army Air Force finally realized the Mustang’s capabilities and placed a larger order of several different variants in 1942. North American began to test Merlin engines in the P-51 in late 1942 to help the Mustang’s performance at higher altitudes. The tests were successful and the P-51B and P-51C, both with Merlin engines, were in great demand. Almost 4,000 of these versions were produced with six 0.50 in. guns, and attachments for two drop tanks or 1,000 lb bombs. The most highly produced Mustang, the P-51D built in 1944, had a more powerful Merlin engine, six .50 inch guns, an extra dorsal fin and a sliding canopy. Close to 8,000 ‘D’ variants were produced between the Los Angeles and Dallas factories. The P-51-H, the fastest production allied fighter, was built in 1945 but only 555 were completed before VJ Day. Several post war versions of the Mustang were manufactured including the F-82 Twin Mustang. This double fuselage airplane with two Allison engines was used as a night fighter as well as an escort aircraft. Later versions were also made under license by Commonwealth Aircraft in Australia. North American P-51 Mustangs served with air forces all over the world until late 1979.
The Fighter Factory’s North American P-51D was completed in 1945, serial number 44-72483, and was immediately sent to England where it was assigned to the Eighth Air Force. In September of 1947 it was transferred to Sweden. The Swedish Air Force assigned it serial number Fv26087. In 1955 the Swiss sold this airplane to Nicaragua. Seven years later, Nicaragua sold this particular Mustang to Maco Sales in Illinois. In late 1963, ownership transferred to Texantiques in Grand Prarie, Texas. It was then purchased eighteen months later and moved to Georgia. It is believed that this Mustang changed ownership again in early 1969 and possibly flew for El Salvador during the Soccer War in July 1969. There is no history documented about this P-51 between 1969 and 1978, but in 1979 the airplane was sold to a gentleman in Indiana and then Donald Davidson of New Hampshire purchased the airplane in April of 1982. There it was painted in its current “Double Trouble Two” markings with black and yellow checkers on the nose. This paint scheme represents the aircraft flown by Deputy Commander ‘Wild’ Bill Bailey of the 353rd Fighter Group that flew from England during World War II. The primary mission of the 353rd Fighter Group was to provide bomber escorts over Europe.
“Wild” Bill Bailey and crew of the 353rd Fighter Group
The aircraft flew in the Reno Air Races from 1983 to 1985. “Double Trouble Two” then won the Grand Champion award at the 1986 Sun N’ Fun air show. The aircraft was sold to Swiss Warbirds in 1990 and ferried across the North Atlantic through Greenland. The new owners continued to fly the Mustang to numerous air shows in Switzerland and neighboring countries throughout Europe. The Fighter Factory in Suffolk, VA. purchased Double Trouble Two in November, 2004 and shipped it back to the United States, where it now flies out of the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, Va. North American P-51D Mustang Specifications Engine: Horsepower: Weight: Max Speed: Cruise Speed: Propeller: Range: Fuel Capacity: Fuel Consumption: Wingspan: Length: Service Ceiling:
Packard V 1650-7 liquid-cooled 1,490 6,250 lbs empty 10,500 lbs max take-off weight 437 mph 245 mph 4-blade Hamilton Standard 1,000 miles 274 gallons 65 gallons per hour 37 feet 0.5inches 32 feet 2.5 inches 42,000 feet
From the British Collection of the Military Aviation Museum
Mail boxes with style Bright red English mail boxes are easy to spot and very distinctive in their design. This genuine English mail box or “Pillar Box”, as they are known in England, sits at the main entrance to the museum. The initials on the box represent King George of England when the box was first cast.
The classic London double-decker bus
Long before cell phones
The double-deck Routmaster bus is indeed a classic. Our bus started life in London in 1962 and was later converted to an open top bus for the “Castle Tours” in Edinburgh, Scotland. Although the bus is still a right hand drive, the passenger doors had to be modified to open on the right hand side for use in the USA. The Museum’s bus now boasts a variety of our plane decals and may be seen daily in the summer bringing visitors to the Museum from the Beach.
A genuine English phone booth, on display in the museum, was commonly used back in the 1940’s. “We’re sorry, your call cannot be connected as dialed. Pictures and text messages are not allowed!”
601 Squadron (County of London) Re-created
Having started in 1991, we are a group of dedicated individuals striving to accurately recreate a wartime squadron of the RAF. Many of our members are ‘old salts’ of the hobby, having ten, fifteen or even twenty years of experience (or more) in historical re-creation in many different eras. We chose 601 Squadron for several reasons, not the least of which was their active and outstanding record during the war, but also because of the many colorful and prominent individuals within the ‘Millionaire’s Squadron’ such as Roger Bushell (‘Big X’ of Great Escape fame), Max Aitken, the American Billy Fiske and Willie Rhodes-Moorehouse just to name a few. Our unit is affiliated with 601 Squadron Old Comradres Association, something we are very proud of. 601’s history was very active during the Second World War seeing action in France, the Battle of Britain, the Western desert, Malta and Sicily. They flew Blenheims, Hurricanes, the ill-fated Airacobras and the famous Spitfire. We mostly focus on the early war years with an emphasis on the Battle of Britain. All of the historians in the unit understand and deeply appreciate the significance of the Battle of Britain and the aircrew that played a part defending Britain during those pivotal summer months. Although the RAF through 1945 was just as important and crucial to the war effort, we feel that we present this period as authentically as possible, fitters and riggers being just as important as all aircrew, and always strive to perfect our impression and honor the men whose uniforms we wear with pride. “Per Ardua Ad Astra” — Scott G. Rall/ Squadron Leader, 601 Squadron (County of London) Re-created
The Grumman Aircraft Company first test flew their newest retractable gear monoplane fighter in 1937. This advanced carrier based aircraft was initially accepted by the US Navy in 1940. In 1941 the name “Wildcat” was officially adopted. With a top speed of 318 mph, the Wildcat was out performed by the more nimble 331 mph Japanese Mitsubishi Zero. It was the Wildcat’s ruggedness and tactics that gave it an air combat kill-to-loss ratio of 6 t0 1 for the entire war.
This aircraft is the most original example of a Wildcat still flying today. It still has folding wings, operated by small hand cranks imbedded in the wing fold mechanisms. The retractable landing gears require 31 turns of the hand operated wheel in the cockpit. It is powered by its original Wright R-1820 radial engine that produces 1,350 horsepower. During the war, it was armed with four fifty caliber wing mounted machine guns, and could carry two 250 lb. bombs or six rockets.
Four Marine Corps Wildcats played a prominent role in the defense of Wake Island in December 1941. Naval and Marine Corps aircraft were the fleet’s primary air defense during the Battles of Coral Sea and Midway. Land-based Wildcats also played a major role during the Guadalcanal Campaign of 1942-43. Lt. Butch O’Hare was able in a few short minutes to shoot down five Mitsubishi twin-engine bombers attacking the USS Lexington carrier off Bouganville in 1942. He became the US Navy’s first fighter ace and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Roosevelt. Today, O’Hare International Airport in Chicago is named in honor of him.
The aircraft will stay on display at our museum for several weeks after the air show. Afterwards, it will be flown to the maintenance facility at the Fighter Factory in Suffolk, Virginia. There it will be thoroughly inspected and restored to its original condition as when it first left the factory in 1944. — Research by Felix Usis
In 1944 the General Motors/Eastern Aircraft plant in New Jersey completed the construction of an FM-2 Wildcat for the US Navy and first assigned it to San Pedro, California. On July 3, 1945 it was reassigned to a small training field in Pungo, Virginia. As the war ended, it was still stationed in Virginia and served with various training commands throughout the Navy. Without ever having served overseas or in combat, it was stricken from the records and sold to an Eastern Airlines pilot in 1952. It was then sold to it’s next owner in Delaware 10 years later. This same Wildcat fighter that had served with the Navy during the Second World War (at the small airfield that was located behind the Pungo Pizza Restaurant on Princess Anne Road), was recently acquired by the Military Aviation Museum. It will be making it’s first appearance back in Virginia in over 60 years and is scheduled to fly in this year’s Warbirds Over the Beach air show.
General Motor’s FM-2 Wildcat Specifications Designation: Manufacturer: Classification Type: National origin: Crew: Length: Height: Wingspan: Wing Area: Weight Empty: Weight Gross: Powerplant: Speed – Maximum: Speed – Cruise: Initial Climb Rate: Service Ceiling: Range: Armament:
General Motors FM-2 “Wildcat” General Motors, Eastern Aircraft Division, Trenton, N.J. Carrier or land-based Fighter United States 1 (pilot) 28 feet 11 inches 11 feet 2 inches 38 ft 260 square feet 5,448 pounds 8,271 pounds One 1,350 horsepower Wright R-1820-56 “Cyclone” single-row radial engine 332 m.p.h. (@ 28,800 feet) 164 m.p.h. 3,650 ft/min 34,700 feet 900 statute miles Four .50 caliber M2 Browning machine guns, 450 rpg; two 250-pound bombs or six 5-inch rockets or two 58 gal (220 L) drop tanks
Fox Company Living History Reenactors Founded in 2002 by two college roommates, Fox Company has earned a reputation over the past 7 years of being one of the most well trained and stable re-enacting organizations in this area (Hampton Roads). With members now coming from all over the mid-Atlantic region the unit has grown to a full time roster of over thirty men and women. Fox Company Living History strives to honor America’s World War II veterans through careful attention to detail, strict historical accuracy, and proper military bearing at all times. The entire unit assembles several times a year at Fort Eustis, Va. to take part in tactical training and field craft exercises under the watchful eye of expert military instructors. Trainees are offered instruction in many military disciplines such as concealment, movement, map reading, survival, and even self defense. Fox Company Living History is dedicated to honoring and preserving the memories of America’s Greatest Generation: her World War II veterans. In that mission Fox Company arrived at its current historical impression, as members of the Third Infantry
Division, the most battle hardened division serving in the European Theater of Operations. Called on by the U.S. Army to portray this famed division, Fox served the Army as the ceremonial unit for several functions. Fox Company Living History seeks to educate the public about the lives and sacrifices made by America’s World War II veterans using historical interpretation and first-person re-enactment. If you’re interested in learning more about them, visit their website at www.foxlivinghistory.com
1943 North American SNJ-4 The North American AT-6 was used by more air forces than any other airplane. In just 10 years there were over 17,000 produced. Their roles were numerous including fighter, dive-bomber, ground attack and observation, but mainly they served as a trainer. This particular SNJ4, the Navy version of the AT-6, was delivered to the United States Navy on January 25, 1943. After a brief stint with VJ-7 in San Diego, the plane was moved north to Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska to defend against the Japanese invasion of the islands. After the war it was provided to the South African Air Force. In 1996, this airplane was sold at auction and returned to the United States. North American SNJ-4 Specifications Manufacturer: Power Plant: Horsepower: Length: Wingspan: Weight Gross: Max Speed: Range: Crew: Service Ceiling:
North American Pratt & Whitney R-1340 550 hp 29 feet 6 inches 42 feet 0.25 inches 5,300 pounds 205 mph 700 miles Two 1,500 feet
“The Best Is Yet To Come”... Frank (Sings Frank) Cubillo Frank Cubillo is the voice and energy behind a new Frank Sinatra style singing/entertainment act called “Frank Sings Frank” that is gaining notoriety in the Hampton Roads area. After serving over 37 years, Frank just retired as a Colonel from the U.S. Marine Corps this past Oct (’09). A native of Brooklyn, NY and raised on Long Island, Frank has been singing all his life, from the early years as a choir boy at St. Hugh of Lincoln Catholic Church/School in Huntington Long Island as singer in a rock band in his teens, to the current time as a tenor and cantor in the Choir of the Church of the Ascension in Virginia Beach, where he now calls “home” with his wife Cindy of 32 years and their two children, Frank (20) and Christina (16). He grew up listening to Sinatra and all the singers and composers of the Great American Songbook and has over the years committed to memory over 150 “Standards” and all of Sinatra’s Greatest Hits. Complete with a tux and Sinatra’s “trademark” Fedora, Frank sings and “performs” “Frank” with an energy and style all his own, guaranteed to have you snappin’ your fingers, tappin your feet and singing along (and dancing) with this upbeat entertainer. He’s perfect for weddings, private and corporate parties, banquets and balls. Check out his voice and stylings at www.franksingsfrank.com
Hangars Sprouting Up from the Farmland In 2008 the Virginia Beach Airport and Military Aviation Museum approached the city to add several additional structures needed for the growing collection of historic airplanes. There was already one museum hangar building completed in 2006, but that was now full with no spare room for the many aircraft that continued to arrive. Even more pressing were the maintenance concerns for when an airplane was in need of repairs. The mechanics continued to operate out of the related Fighter Factory hangar housed at the Suffolk Municipal Airport, over 30 miles away to the west. If an aircraft had a maintenance problem, it had to be temporarily juryrigged to fly across three cities to have the dedicated staff repair the problems. In some extreme cases, the airplane had to he moved there on a flat bed truck. This was a problem that needed to be corrected. The city council of Virginia Beach agreed and in January, 2009 they granted the museum permission to add some much needed buildings. The first three have recently commenced construction, but somewhat slowly because of the excessive rain and several nor’easters that have pounded the city earlier this year. Maintenance Buildings The restoration and maintenance arm of the museum, the Fighter Factory, was created in 1996 to restore one of the first aircraft in the collection. This was the Curtiss P-40E, which now proudly flies with the Flying Tiger’s markings. This all began in a small mini warehouse across the back road of the Norfolk Airport. Today, this team of craftsmen is led by an IA Inspector and a dozen full time aircraft mechanics who are all paid staff and not volunteers. The maintenance hangar in Suffolk is 12.000 square feet in size and has two additional hangars, stuffed full of historic aircraft. If you have not yet seen this, it is an experience well worth the drive. It is open to the public, but only visit on weekdays, as these employees do not work on the weekends. The new Fighter Factory maintenance hangar being built at the Virginia Beach Airport is designed to be 16,000 sq. ft. in size, to include 10,000 sq. ft. of open repair hangar, workshops, parts storage rooms, small paint room, offices and a visitor entry area for guests to tour and marvel at how these aircraft are brought back to life. It’s original building design came from a hanger constructed of stone in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, at the Waukesha County Airport in 1937. It was a pre-war era design and similar to what many hangars looked like during the early days of aviation. In 1995 the original stone hangar was redrawn by a local architect and then disassembled and moved to Popular Grove Airport in Illinois, where it sits today as home to the Wings and Wheels Museum. The new Virginia Beach Airport maintenance hangar will be erected using this exact same 1937 design. It will also have an equal size concrete tarmac in front of the hangar doors facing the crosswind runway/taxi-way and setting sun towards the west.
vast collection of spare parts, necessary to keep these airplanes safe to fly. We are constructing the first of three 10,000 sq. ft. warehouses across the driveway from the maintenance facility. The first storage building will also be able to house the museum’s open top double-decker bus. The building is metal clad, but will be painted in green and brown camouflage markings; so often used during the Second World War. World War One Hangar The museum’s growing collection of historic airplanes includes many more wood and fabric aircraft from the First World War. In order to house them, Steve Atkin, noted architect in the United Kingdom, is going to research and design a World War One era hangar as might have been found near the front lines of the fighting. The obvious problem with this is that the airplane first flew in 1903 at nearby Kitty Hawk, NC. The start of The War to End All Wars was in 1911, just eight years later, and hangar design had lagged even behind the design of the flimsy observation planes struggling into the air. Hangers were not common back then and when built, they were often similar to wooden barns with open fronts and no doors. Bessaneau hangars were even less sturdy with bowed framework built of wood and walls covered in canvas. Obviously, neither of these would be ideal for hurricane prone Virginia Beach. The design is a 15,000 sq. ft. hangar built in three bay sections and fabricated completely out of wood. The truss frame structure is common to how large barns were built at the start of the last century. The roof will be tin and the big wooden hangar doors need to be manually pushed to open and close. Approximately a dozen bright and colorful multi-winged airplanes will fit into this building to be built next door to the maintenance hangar. Pulling the lightweight planes out the front entrance will allow them to be parked on the grass and permit the building to be used for small functions and gatherings. It is scheduled for all three of these new additions to be completed by the end of the summer 2010. The two original buildings from the Second World War that were disassembled in Europe are already here in storage and waiting to be added.
Warehouse The museum has three packed warehouses secreted away in the local community, full of disassembled airplanes, engines and a
1949 North American T-28D Trojan Manufacturer: Powerplant: Horsepower: Empty Weight: Max Take-off Weight: Max Speed: Length: Height: Wingspan: Service Ceiling: Maximum Range: Crew:
North American Aviation Wright Cyclone R-1820-863 radial piston engine 1,425 hp 6,424 lbs. 8,500 lbs. 343 mph 33 feet 12 feet 8 inches 40 feet 1 inch 35,500 feet 1,060 miles Two; instructor and student
1949 North American T-28D “Trojan” When the United States Air Force set out to replace its aging T-6 Texan trainers, North American designed the T-28A Trojan, with its initial flight on September 26, 1949. The Trojan had a top speed of 280 mph. Several years later the T-28B model was developed for the United States Navy and Marine Corps with the more powerful 340 hp Wright R-1820-863 engine. In 1962 the T-28D was fitted with six under-wing hard points for use with a variety of weapons in the Vietnam War. The Military Aviation Museum’s aircraft is a T-28D painted as a T-28B in Navy training colors. It later saw combat service in Zaire, Africa before returning to the U.S.
1st SS Aufklarung Reenactors The 1st SS Aufklarung is a group of non-political enthusiasts of history. They portray combat soldiers of the 1st SS Leibstandarte Division at public displays and at tactical reenactments. They are located in the Mid- Atlantic/ Virginia area.
At reenactments their unit scouts ahead of the main force, searching for battlefield intelligence. They are frequently on the move, sending information back to their commanding officer. They also set up ambushes when the opportunity presents itself. The unit has included other squads with specialties such as infantry, pionier, and anti-tank.
They represent an Aufklarung Gruppe (reconnaissance) within the large division and join forces with the 1st SS Stabs (HQ) and 2nd SS “Das Reich” to form the battlegroup “Sonnenwende.”
At living history events, they present their combat gear and equipment, sometimes setting up a small campsite as well. Their members enjoy talking with the public and educating them on the life of a German soldier in World War II. 27
Pilot ’s Po em Pilot’s Poem I hope there’s a place, way up in the sky, Where pilots can go, when they have to die. A place where a guy can buy a cold beer For a friend and a comrade, whose memory is dear; A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread , Nor a management type would ere be caught dead; Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke, Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke; The kind of a place where a lady could go And feel safe and protected, by the men she would know. There must be a place where old pilots go, When their paining is finished, and their airspeed gets low, Where the whiskey is old, and the women are young, And songs about flying and dying are sung, Where you’d see all the fellows who’d flown west before, And they’d call out your name, as you came through the door. Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad, And relate to the others, “He was quite a good lad!” And then through the mist, you’d spot an old guy You had not seen in years, though he taught you to fly. He’d nod his old head, and grin ear to ear; And say, “Welcome, my son, I’m pleased that you’re here.” “For this is the place where true flyers come,” “When their journey is over, and the war has been won.” “They’ve come here at last to be safe and alone” “From the government clerks and the management clone,” “Politicians and lawyers, the Feds and the noise,” “Where all hours are happy, and these good ole boys” “Can relax with a cool one, and a well deserved rest;” “This is heaven, my son.... You’ve passed your last test!”
completed, the plane finally received her airworthiness certificate in December, 1967. In 1977 she was listed as being sold to an owner in Palmer, Alaska. Initially it was used to ferry passengers to fishing sites around the barren wasteland of Alaska. In 1978 the plane was converted to have bulk liquid cargo tanks installed. It was then capable of carrying 1,500 US Gallons internally to carry fuel to remote parts of the state.
PBY-5A “Catalina” The Military Aviation Museum’s PBY-5A Catalina was built for the U.S. Navy by Consolidated at their San Diego plant as Bureau of Aeronautics Number (BuNo) 48294 and completed her acceptance flight in October, 1943. With everything satisfactory, she was delivered by air to Fleet Air Wing (FAW) 14 at Naval Air Station (NAS) San Diego in November 1943. Two weeks later she undertook the longest single flight of her wartime career, a total of 19.2 hours, when she was delivered from NAS San Diego non-stop to NAS Norfolk, Virginia where she was accepted by Headquarters Squadron (Hedron) 5-2. From December, 1943 until the conclusion of the Second World War, she saw service with VPB-92 attached to FAW-15, which was headquartered at Agadir, French Morocco, flying wartime patrols. Patrols from Agadir took place in the area south to the Canary Islands, north to the strait of Gibraltar and as far west as the Azores. The squadron was then transferred to the warmer waters of the Caribbean in later 1944. At the end of 1944, VPB-92 was transferred to NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island, under the control of FAW-9, to undertake patrols and anti-submarine sweeps protecting the approaches to New York. In 1945, with the war in Europe over, she had all her armaments removed and was loaned to the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), initially at Elizabeth City, North Carolina and then to a Coast Guard unit at Biloxi, Mississippi. This was followed by a three-month tour at Miami before returning to Biloxi in December 1945. In January 1946, it was delivered to NAS Seattle, Washington to await a major overhaul. Eight months later it was transferred back to the east coast for refurbishment after which she was held as a pool aircraft at Philadelphia, prior to being returned into storage at NAS Seattle. Very little flying was conducted from then until 1953. Her active service life came to an end with a total of 3,567 flying hours. The plane was formally stricken from the inventory in 1956. Her beginnings as a civilian aircraft are a little obscure. What is known, is that in 1961 the plane was flown from Miami, Florida and then on to North Little Rock, Arkansas where it was formally registered as N9521C. From 1961 to 1967 she remained at North Little Rock where her nose turret and side blisters were removed. The latter was replaced with cargo doors and new flooring. New troop seat type arrangements were also installed. With all the modification work
The next stage of her history is shrouded in mystery. No changes of ownership are shown in her FAA records but these may have been removed due to legal considerations. In September, 1985 she was involved in a drug-running racket and seized by the US Marshals Service. Not surprisingly, no one came forward to defend the seizure. Subsequently, it was forfeited to the U. S. Government in 1986. The US Marshals Office sold her that following September. The new owner had the bulk fuel transport system removed and began to convert the plane back to Second World War standards with the reinstallation of a nose turret and side blisters. Six years later, ownership passed to an owner in Florida who planned to operate the aircraft in Europe. N9521C was painted in a late wartime U.S. Navy two tone blue and white color-scheme. In place of the stars and bars, the plane bore international Red Cross insignia and was ferried to Milan, Italy in May 1995. Over the next two years the plane appeared at a number of events and air shows, although these were mainly confined to appearances in Italy and Switzerland. In 1997 it was sold and ferried to South Africa where it had the interior rearranged to accommodate fifteen passengers (from a previous arrangement of nine). However, its stay in South Africa was not to last very long. In the late summer of 1999 it was decided to fly the aircraft back to the United States to appear at the air show at Oshkosh. The trip proved to be a long one. The aircraft stopped short of its destination and was then stored in England until a new owner could be found.
In late 2001, the PBY-5A was acquired by the Fighter Factory in Suffolk, Virginia. It was later flown to its present location at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach. Manufacturer: Model: Wing span: Height: Length: Weight: Engines: Horsepower: Fuel Capacity: Range: Cruising Speed: Max Speed: Service Ceiling: Seats:
PBY-5A Catalina Specifications Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Co. 28-5ACF (PBY 5-A) 104 feet 20 feet 2 inches 63 feet 10.5 inches 20,200 lbs. empty 28,000 lbs. max take off 2 Pratt and Whitney 1830-92 1,200 horsepower each 1,750 gallons 2,300 miles 120 mph 170 mph 16,000 feet 15
diverse and experienced group of musicians. Any music enthusiast, be they young or seasoned in age, will experience an evening of delight and awe as Original SuperBand brings the decades of big band music back to life. A few of SB’s recent venues: Deja Blu Jazz Supper Club, Military Aviation Museum Hampton University Jazz Fest, Attocks Theater, Boy scout’s State Jamboree, Octoberfest, political events, numerous events and dances. Band members have worked with such groups and stars as: Count Basie, The Platters, Peaches and Herb, Wilson Pickett, US Bonds, The Pop Tops, Lionel Hampton, Lloyd Price, Eddie Floyd, Jr. Walker, Frank Foster and three US Presidents. Combined, these musicians have helped to compose & play on numerous original recordings of hits, selling over 13 million records.
The Original SuperBand The Original SuperBand of Virginia hosts a rambunctious crew of gifted entertainers, each hand selected for specialized musical skills. Dr. Frank Foster has personally composed much of the music for The Original SuperBand. Having performed with and directed the world famous Count Basie Orchestra, he draws his musical influence from the years he spent performing with such renowned jazz giants as Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Wynton Marsalis, Lionel Hampton, Buddy Rich, and the Tonight Show Band. This dance, swing, and contemporary show band performs a versatility of musical styles, highlighting the many talents of this
Trombones: Leonard Barks (composer) leader, Scott Neprud, Phil Mantos, Alphonso Forman bass bone Trumpets: David Liebman, section leader, Greg Roberts, Bob Ransom, Don Gamble, Gene Star, Don Gambel, John Kubovchik, Saxophones: alto Dr. Bill Pruden, Lamar Prater, tenor Doug Miller Count Basie Orchestra, Gary Talley, baritone sax Dr. Benjamin Tomassetti Piano: Dr. Gad Brosch Bass: Mike Finn Drums & section leader: Jim Stanley For information concerning The Super Band: David Liebman Business Mjr. 757 853-4722 Leonard Barks Leader 757 487-4033
$20 OFF LABOR* Promo Code: Air-20 Just As Planes Have Evolved, So Has Your Computer Technician
On-Site Computer Service At Your Home & Business • Network Installations & Security • Disaster Planning & Recovery • PCs, Networks & Servers
• Industry-Certified Professionals • Same-Day Appointments
Call Toll Free: 1-800-905-4335 or Visit Us Online: www.geeksoncall.com * Can not be combined with any other offer. Participating franchises only. Call for more details.
The Hampton Roads Metro Band was first known as the Norfolk Fire Division Firemen’s Band, and was formed in the early 1930’s by its first conductor, Pacific Romeo. After his death in 1970, he was succeeded by Hal Peterson. In 1981, the Norfolk Fire Department was no longer able to sponsor the band, at which time it adopted its present name. The Hampton Roads Metro Band’s membership dwindled to as low as 5 members until 1985 when Thomas Loffler became the conductor and the band membership increased to 20. Upon Mr. Loffler’s retirement in 1993, Larry Harrington, Master Chief Musician, US Navy (Ret), became the Metro Band Director. Under his direction, the band grew to more than 40 members. In 1999, Mr. Harrington moved to Oregon and Martin Pachey who was the retired director
of Old Dominion University Musical Department became the Hampton Roads Metro Band’s director. Mr. Pachey retired in June 2001 and Andre Paquette, LCDR,USN [Ret], with BS Degree in Music, agreed to be the band’s director. Andre Paquette was joined by assistant directors Capt. Treg Ancelet, and Dick Schroeder in 2002. In January 2004, Mr. Paquette began teaching music in the Suffolk Public Schools. Treg Ancelet became the band director until his transfer in April of 2005 to U.S. Army West Point Band as conductor. He turned the position of director over to the band’s present director, Dick Schroeder. Currently there are 45 to 60 members and the band proudly continues to provide music for the citizens of Hampton Roads. John Peters, Band Historian, Phone: 479-0000
Carlson led the VA-195 Squadron on the torpedo strike of the Hwachon Dam. VA-195 Dambusters During the USS Princeton’s third cruise to the Korean Peninsula in 1951, Navy Squadron VA-195 made their place in history, earning the name “Dambusters.” The Chinese Communist Forces were using the sluice gates in the Hwachon Dam to flood the lower Pukhan River, thus preventing the United Nation Forces from crossing the river and proceeding northward. Air Force B-29’s were sent to demolish the dam by dropping six-ton bombs on it. The Hawachon’s gigantic concrete structure was barely cracked in the attack. Captain William Gallery, of the aircraft carrier USS Princeton, made the suggestion that the Skyraiders attempt to drop Mk-13 torpedoes on the sluice gates to prevent the Chinese Communist Forces from controlling the flow of the Hwachon River.
Douglas AD-4 “Skyraider” Able Dog Skyraider Near the end of the Second World War, the US Navy was looking for a replacement for their obsolete SBD Dauntless dive bomber. The Douglas Aircraft Company designed and tested their new Dauntless II in March, 1945. From this initial production order, just prior to the end of the war in the Pacific, came the AD Skyraider. The term “Able Dog” for the Skyraider was originally used when this was the phonetic alphabet for ‘AD’. The first version of the AD-1 had gradual improvements made to its design, which eventually led to the introduction of the AD-4 Skyraider in 1949. With the outbreak of the Korean War, more than a thousand versions of this Skyraider were built as ground attack aircraft, Airborne Early Warning, night attack and even special nuclear bombers with a center line ejector rack. Skyraiders continued to serve with the Navy and Air Force through the time of the Vietnam War. The final Skyraider, of a total of 3,180 airplanes, rolled off the Douglas assembly lines in February, 1957. It also served with various overseas foreign governments such as South Vietnam, Sweden and France. AD-4 (Bureau Number 123827) The Military Aviation Museum’s Douglas AD-4 Skyraider was built and commissioned into the United States Navy in 1949. During its first tour of duty, it was part of the VA-55 squadron that was deployed in the Korean War. After a short overhaul in late 1951 it returned to the war with several different squadrons; VA-175, VA-15 and VA-75. It’s third and final tour of active duty ended in February, 1956 with the Marine Corps Squadron VMAT20.
On May 1, 1951 the VA-195 squadron departed from the USS Princeton in their eight AD-4 Skyraiders with World War II era Mk-13 torpedoes hanging below their planes. Most of the VA-195 pilots were never trained to drop torpedoes or fly in the narrow 40 foot wide canyon low enough to drop the torpedoes effectively. Six of the eight torpedoes hit the target, completely destroying one sluice gate and severely damaging another. The water behind the Hwachon Dam was released and the Chinese Communist Forces could no longer control the flooding of the river. The attack on the dam by the AD-4 Squadron VA-195 earned them the nickname “Dambusters.” The Skyraiders attack on May 1, 1951 was the last time the United States Navy used torpedoes in an actual act of war. Douglas AD-4 Skyraider Specifications Manufacturer: Year Manufactured: Type: Length: Wingspan: Height: Empty Weight: Max Weight: Engine: Horsepower: Cruising Speed: Max speed: Stall Speed: Combat Range: Service Ceiling: Number of Seats: Armament: External Stores:
Douglas Aircraft Company 1949 - 1957 Carrier or Land based Attack Bomber 39 feet 10 inches 50 feet 16 feet 12,313 lbs 25,000 lbs Wright Cyclone R-3350-26WD 2800 hp 185 knots 320 knots 65 knots 1,386 nautical miles with external tanks 27,500 feet One 4 wing mounted 20 mm cannons 12,500 lbs with 17 attach points
It then spent 10 years on static display in Atlanta, Georgia before being purchased in 1966 and restored back into flying condition by Dave Forrest of the Atlanta area. It was eventually sold to Dr. Bill Harrison, who then sold the aircraft to Wiley Sanders of Troy, Alabama. The Military Aviation Museum acquired the plane from Alabama in August, 2000. It was then flown to its current location at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia. In 2001 it was decided to repaint the faded design scheme of the Military Aviation Museum’s historic Skyraider. To correspond with the EAA reunion of the VA-195 Veterans at the 2001 Oshkosh Airshow, their squadron markings were selected for the Aircraft. This AD-4 Skyraider is painted to replicate the airplane flown by VA-195 Commanding Officer Harold “Swede” Carlson. LCDR
Over 4 Million Brochures Picked Up by Tourists, Locals & Military Families Every Year!
Largest Brochure Distributor in Hampton Roads Williamsburg to Virginia Beach 800-368-1881 email@example.com www.nationalbrochure.com 34
U.S. Marines stationed in the Pacific during the Second World War called the Corsair “Our Workhorse,” while the Japanese forces referred to it as “Whistling Death” and for good reason. Camouflaged in indigo-blue, the plane was very difficult to see from the ground, only until it was too late! The Corsair was in fact one of the most maneuverable planes ever built during the war. The Military Aviation Museum’s FG-1D Corsair was produced by Goodyear under license from the Vought Aircraft Company in May, 1945 and delivered to the United States Navy two months later under the Bureau of Aeronautics Number 92508. Not much is known about the naval history of BuNo 92508, but it is believed that it was never used in combat due to it’s extremely low engine time and excellent body condition during its 13 years of active duty. Some of its time was spent in California in the San Diego and Santa Ana area. Near the end of its military career, it was believed to have served with a New York Naval Air Reserve Squadron as a training aircraft. The plane was stricken from the Navy records in 1956 after spending the majority of its final years in storage. In 1964, BuNo 92508 was purchased by a family in Santa Rosa, California for their son to fly. Not realizing the speed and power of the Corsair, he ended up exchanging the plane evenly for a North American AT-6 trainer. This trade was made in March, 1968. After a quick refurbishment, the plane flew in the opening ceremonies of the Reno Air Races that same year. Less than one year later, the Corsair was sold again and ferried to Stratford, Connecticut. The plane changed hands several more times and was based with subsequent owners in West Palm Beach, FL; Dallas, TX; Miami, FL; and finally in Oklahoma City, OK where a retired Second World War Marine aviator bought it for his own personal use. At this time it was painted in a Marine Corps design with replica rockets under the wings. It was inspected by the Fighter Factory in 1996 as a possible acquisition, but the actual purchase did not finally occur until 1999. During 2001 the staff of the Fighter Factory undertook a massive restoration process to return the airplane back to its original wartime configuration. It was repainted in 2002 to replicate the colors and markings of a former local resident, Ray Beacham, who was born in Norfolk, Virginia in 1918 and later raised in nearby Kitty Hawk, NC. Ray Beacham joined the United States Navy in 1939 and earned his wings the following year. Ray began his military career training cadets to fly at Pensacola, Florida. In 1943 Lt. Beacham was assigned to the VF-17 fighter squadron. The now famous “Skull and Crossbones” adorned the nose of the Corsairs in this squadron.
They trained in Norfolk, Virginia and then Manteo, North Carolina under the command of Lt. Cdr.Tom Blackburn. VF-17 embarked on the USS Bunker Hill (CV-17), an Essex class aircraft carrier, in September, 1943, which would take them through the Panama Canal to Hawaii. The remainder of the journey to the South Pacific was aboard the carrier USS Prince William (CVE-31, an escort carrier). VF-17 arrived in the South Pacific in October, 1943. Ray Beacham would complete two combat tours with VF-17, flying from the islands of Ondongo and Bougainville, as the Corsair was not yet certified for carrier operations by the US Navy. Ray Beacham, nicknamed “the Kitty Hawk Kid” by his fellow aviators, was credited with shooting down two Japanese Zeros. His first engagement with a Zero was on November 1, 1943, which is the day Ray Beacham is credited with the first kill for Squadron VF-17. His second kill was during a low altitude dogfight near Bougainville. Ray Beacham earned the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Purple Heart and many other decorations during his 21 years of active duty. The Purple Heart was awarded to Beacham when his air group was attacked by twenty to thirty Japanese Zeros. His plane was damaged and before he could make it back to Bougainville, he was forced to crash land, in the dark, in the waters off of Empress Augusta Bay. After his Pacific tours with VF-17, Ray Beacham stayed in the Navy and finally concluded his naval career in 1961 at the Naval Air Station Norfolk. He earned his teaching degree from Old Dominion College in 1962 and subsequently taught algebra and general math at Northside Junior High School for 17 years. Ray Beacham passed away in January, 1997. Several artifacts of his military career are housed in a small museum dedicated to VF-17 at the Dare County Regional Airport in Manteo, NC. This Corsair is believed to be one of the lowest total time Corsairs flying today. The museum’s Corsair is painted in Ray Beacham’s honor, depicting the design and markings of his aircraft while assigned to the VF-17 fighter squadron. FG-1D Navy Cosair Specifications Engine: Horsepower: Weight: Max Speed: Armament:
Range: Fuel Capacity: Fuel Consumption:
Pratt & Whitney R2800-8W 2,000 hp standard take-off 2,250 hp water injection take-off 8,800 lbs. empty, 12,000 lbs. gross 14,000 lbs. max take-off 425 mph Six .50 cal. machine guns Eight 5" rockets Could also carry two 1,000 lb. bombs 1,015 miles normal 2,100 miles with maximum external fuel 237 gallons internal 75 gallons per hr.
The de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide was a British passenger airliner of the 1930’s. Designed by the de Havilland Company in late 1933, it became the most successful British built commercial passenger aircraft of that decade. The prototype flew in April, 1934 and over two hundred were built for owners before the outbreak of World War II. At the start of the war, many Rapides were requisitioned by the British armed forces and served as the de Havilland Dominie, used for passenger duties and radio navigation training. Total production rose to 734 with many survivors entering commercial service after the war. This particular Dragon Rapide was restored in 2010 in the markings of aircraft G-ADDD as used by HRH King Edward VIII. The aircraft was originally manufactured by the de Havilland Company in 1944 and registered as G-AKPA. It was used by the British government during the Second World War (RAF Serial HG724) and sold as a group of dilapidated parts in 1946 to Charles Callendi and his brother-inlaw, Bill Lyle, who were trying to start their own airline company. In the summer of 1948, the company established an office in Croydon, England, under the name of Newman Airways to offer flights from Croydon to the Channel Islands. It was later decided to close Newman Airways when they failed to obtain a newspaper hauling contract that next year. The aircraft continued doing some charter flights until it was sold in 1951 to the Midland Metal Spinning Ltd. in Wolverhampton. Thereafter, the plane was sold to a firm in Ireland, then France and finally to the United States in 1972. George V became King of England in 1910 after the death of his father, King Edward VII. He had four sons of which Edward and Albert were first in successive line for the throne. Edward, the oldest, became the Prince of Wales and heir apparent to become King upon the eventual passing away of his father. In the First World War, Prince Edward served near the front lines. He undertook his first military flight in 1918 and later gained his pilot’s license. Prince Edward, the young and handsome Prince of Wales, was known as the flamboyant playboy that had many affairs with the ladies of the Royal Court. In 1931, he first met Wallis Simpson, a Philadelphia socialite married to a shipping executive of English and American descent. A few years later in 1934 she separated from her American husband and became his mistress. In 1935, Prince Edward purchased a de Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapide that was specially built for himself and painted in the bright red and blue colors of the Royal Guards. It was used for official trips and travel to the numerous royal family homes. The aircraft was outfitted with six comfortable red leather seats with the Prince of Wales feathered crest embossed on the back of each and was also equipped with Marconi radio wireless equipment. On the night of January 20, 1936, King George V passed away and Prince Edward, former Prince of Wales, was immediately installed as King Edward VIII of the Royal Empire. King Edward became the first English monarch to fly in an aircraft when he traveled from Sandringham to London for his Accession Council. The romance
between King Edward and Wallis Simpson continued but was not made public because of her position as a divorcee. They traveled to the quiet family homes of the Royal family and most likely even used the Royal Dragon Rapide for such getaway jaunts. However, marriage was impossible for the new King of England and his beautiful young American divorcee. On December 11, 1936, King Edward shocked the world with the announcement of his intention to abdicate the throne and give up his crown in order to “marry the woman I love.” His brother Albert, then already Duke of York, became King George VI, the new King of England. They moved into Buckingham Palace with their two daughters, Elizabeth and Anne. It continued this way through World War Two until 1952 when King George VI passed away and Princess Elizabeth rose to the position as Queen Elizabeth II, Royal leader of all of England and the Commonwealth. She married Prince Philip in 1947 and had a son, Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales and planned successor to the throne. Prince Charles married Princess Diana, who eventually divorced him, but died in a tragic automobile accident in an underpass in Paris. King Edward VIII became the Duke of Windsor after his abdication and during World War II he governed the Bahamas with his wife, Wallis, Duchess of Windsor. He passed away in Paris, France in 1972 at the age of 77. His wife followed him in death 14 years later. Our Dragon Rapide is painted in the royal colors of the Kings Guards. The registration of the plane is GADDD, as the King favored double letters like these. The inside of the aircraft is plush, eloquently designed and fit for a king. On the back of the seats is the feathered bloom symbol for the crest of the Prince of Wales. This Military Aviation Museum’s recreation of the Royal Dragon Rapide, first owned and flown by the British Royal family in 1937, is dedicated to the union of the two countries with the marriage of the former King of England to a commoner from Philadelphia. After having been rebuilt and restored in Auckland, New Zealand, the Rapide then had its first flight since 1994. It then had its first public outing and premier display at the Wanaka air show on the South Island of New Zealand on Easter weekend of this year. It was then disassembled and shipped to Virginia for re-assembly with hopes to be displayed or flown at the 2010 Warbirds Over the Beach air show. de Havilland DH-89A Dragon Rapide Specifications Maximum Weight: Empty Weight: Take Off Length: Rate of Climb: Cruise Speed: Max Cruise Speed: Ceiling Height: Normal Range: Landing Speed: Landing Length: Gipsy Queen 2 Engines:
3,276 lb. 5,500 lb. 870 ft. 867 ft. /min. 132 mph 160 mph 19,500 ft. 556 miles 65 mph 510 ft. 200 hp
which identity letter to give his Spitfire ... because he was neither A Flight nor B Flight”. According to the former airframe fitter, the ground crew took the initiative and Corporal Tylee painted a large ‘question mark’ (temporarily, using ‘whitewash’, he later stated) where a code letter would normally be positioned. The CO (Squadron Leader G. Silvester DFC) was amused by this and said it could stay. Corporal Tylee therefore painted a permanent mark on the aircraft and it was thenceforth known by squadron personnel as ‘The CO’s Query’. This ‘CO’s Query’ tradition continued into the jet age. Ministry of Defence (MoD) photographs showing a No. 32 Squadron Vampire with a black ‘?’ is clearly seen on the tail fin.
Supermarine “Spitfire” Mk IXe 1943 In 1943 the largest single contract for Spitfires was being produced at the Castle Bromwich factory near Birmingham, England. One of these aircraft was Royal Air Force (RAF) registered MJ730, a Mark IXe Spitfire, first test flown by Alex Henshaw, the factory’s chief test pilot, on December 10, 1943. Within a couple of weeks, it was dismantled and crated for shipping to the port of Casablanca in North Africa. The first operational unit that MJ730 served with was 417 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). It’s first mission was escorting a group of U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) B-25 Mitchell bombers during the Italian campaign. It was involved with the allied landings at Anzio and flew 15 sorties over twenty-four days. On May 9, 1944, the aircraft was transferred to No. 154 Squadron RAF and its fuselage squadron identifying code letters were changed to HT-W. It operated from the island of Corsica on 95 missions while flying bomber escorts for the American forces over northern Italy and in support of the invasion in southern France. After the fighting in Northern Italy, MJ730 was transferred again to No. 32 Squadron RAF at Kolomaki, Greece on Ocober 9, 1944. The aircraft was chosen by Squadron Leader George Silvester (DFC) as his personal aircraft. During the Second World War, it was common in the RAF for the squadron commander to put his initials on the side of the airplane as fuselage squadron identifying code letters, indicating that it was his personal “hands-off” airplane. The ground crew asked the commanding officer what identifier did he want applied to his personal choice airplane (our MJ730). Corporal airframe fitter, Graham Tylee, of No. 32 Squadron, was the ground crew member who usually painted the squadron code letters on all newly arrived aircraft. Below is his account of how the ‘?’ came about. It is taken from a letter he wrote to a researcher about the aircraft’s history on behalf of its then owner, David Pennell. Graham Tylee wrote: “I would find out from the engineering officer what letter was allocated to the aircraft. I liked to paint (I had a steadier hand in those days) and normally did this myself. I remember having a template made with small holes in suitable places.” When the CO came back from satisfactorily test flying this aircraft, Cpl Tylee asked what code letter should put be put on the Spitfire? ... he jokingly said that there was a bit of a question mark over
The war ended with the aircraft being flown by No. 249 Squadron RAF, from Yugoslavia, in harassment of the retreating German forces. After the war, it was ferried to RAF Brindisi in Italy. Here it was stored for almost a year before being sold to the newly reformed Italian Air Force. The aircraft underwent a major overhaul by Aeronautica Machhi at Varese and then accepted by the Italian Air Force at Centocelle Airport on the outskirts of Rome. It was then registered as MM4094. In 1951, MJ730 was among a batch of Spitfires sold by the Italian government to Israel. The Israeli Air Force assigned the number 66 to the aircraft and it served in an Operational Training Unit at the Ramat David Airfield. It was finally decommissioned in June, 1956 when most of Israel’s other Spitfires were sold to Burma. MJ730 was saved to provide inspiration for young Israeli children who had a subtle desire to become fighter pilots. It was moved to a playground at a kibbutz in Kabri, near the border of Lebanon. It was here that the aircraft was found in a dilapidated condition during the 1970’s and was then transported back to England in 1978. A firm in the south of England began the initial restoration work. The project was sold to Fred Smith, founder and President of Federal Express in 1986. The work was completed in November, 1988 and was immediately offered for sale. In 1998, the Fighter Factory, Suffolk, Va., learned about the possible availability of this aircraft while in New Zealand searching for assorted Curtiss P-40 parts. The aircraft finally arrived at the Fighter Factory in Suffolk, Va. during the beginning of 2000. — Research by Felix Usis Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXe Specifications Engine: Rolls Royce Merlin 76 Horsepower: 1,760 hp, 2-speed/2-stage supercharger Max Speed: 312 mph (sea level), 408 mph (25,000 ft.) 3,000 RPM and +18 psi boost (145 gph) Max Rate of Climb: 3,950 ft/min Service Ceiling: 43,000 ft. Stall Speed: (gears/flaps) 65 mph Fuel: 96 gallons center tank, 60 gallons wing tanks Fuel Consumption: 61 gals. per hour, 2.5 hrs. endurance Propeller: Roto steel hub with 4 wood laminated blades Wing span: 36 feet 10 inches Length: 31 feet 1 inch Max Weight: 7,900 lbs. Armament: Dual 0.5” Browning machine guns plus two 20 mm Hispano canons
Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk Specifications Engine: Horsepower: Weight: Max Speed: Cruise Speed: Max Range: Propeller: Fuel Capacity: Fuel Consumption: Wingspan: Length: Height: Armament:
Allison V1710-115 1,350 hp 6,200 lbs. empty 378 mph 240 mph 650 miles Curtiss Electric 54 gal. main tank 35 gal. reserve tank 52 gal. drop tank 65 gals. per hr. 37 feet 3.5 inches 31 feet 8.5 inches 10 feet 8 inches Six .50 caliber Browning machine guns
1941 Curtiss P-40E “Kittyhawk” The Curtiss P-40 was made famous by the American Volunteer Group, also known as the FLYING TIGERS in Burma. Led by Col. Claire Chenault, the FLYING TIGERS destroyed 286 Japanese airplanes while loosing only 12 of their own in slightly over 6 months of combat. The museum’s P-40E is painted to replicate the colors of David Lee “Tex” Hill’s airplane that he flew when he led the famous mission over the Salween Gorge which trapped the Japanese troops and ended their advance into Kumming, China. “Tex” Hill had 12.25 victories while flying with the American Volunteer Group. In fact, if you ask one of the museum’s docents, he can show you “Tex” Hill’s signature on the inside of a compartment door on the fuselage of the P-40E.
Germany’s Flying Jeep The Fieseler Fi-156 “Storch” (Stork) Today, with the plethora of short and vertical take-off aircraft, it is interesting to note that 75 years ago the German aviation industry designed an aircraft that could take-off in 213 feet, land in 61 feet (with no head-wind) and virtually hover in a 25 mph wind. In 1935, the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium, Reich Aviation Ministry) put out a proposal for a new Luftwaffe aircraft suitable for liaison, army co-operation (today called Forward Air Control) and medical evacuation to several companies. Three companies produced designs: Fieseler, Messerschmitt and Siebel. The Fieseler Fi-156 Storch was first flown in 1936. Using a fixed slat over the leading edge of the wing and slotted camber-changing flaps along the trailing edge, the Storch achieved incredible short take-off performance. It had a crew of three, and with extensive windows surrounding the occupants, it made an excellent observation and liaison aircraft. Production for the German armed forces began with the Fi 156A-1. The Fi 156C, which had the rear glazing raised to accommodate a machine gun for defense, soon replaced the A-1. Other variants included a tropical version with dust filters, an ambulance version carrying a single stretcher, and an enlarged version (Fi 256) with seating for five, built in limited numbers in France between 1943 and 1944. Fieseler began building the Storch in Germany. But to make room for the Bf 109 at the Fieseler plant, production was forced to move. The Morane-Saulnier plant in Villacoublay, France began Storch production (as the M.S.500 Criquet) in 1941 and in Czechoslovakia at the Mraz plant (as the K-65 Cap). After the war Morane-Saulnier continued to produce the Storch until 1947 as the M.S.500, while Mraz continued to build the K-65 Cap. One of the last, and most memorable, wartime flights by a Storch was on 26 April 1945, when Hitler ordered General Ritter von Greim and Hanna Reitsch to fly from Berlin-Gatow into Berlin. The flight was made to enable Hitler to promote von Greim to command the Luftwaffe in place of Hermann Göring who had fallen from favor. A Storch was the victim of the last dog fight on the Western Front and another was fittingly downed by a direct Allied counterpart of the Storch—an L-4 Grasshopper—from the L-4’s crew directing their pistol fire at it. The pilot and co-pilot of the L-4 opened fire on the Storch with their .45 caliber pistols, forcing the German air crew to land and surrender. The involved Storch was the only
aircraft known to have been downed by handgun fire in the entire war. In many respects the Fieseler Fi-156 Storch was many years ahead of its time and was unique in its class of light communications aircraft throughout the Second World War. Indeed, many RAF and Army commanders contrived to beg, borrow or steal a captured Storch for his own personal use! By the end of the war, there were more than 60 such aircraft in everyday use in allied colors, one becoming the personal aircraft of British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery. Over 2,900 Fi-156s were produced. Today, more than 30 Fi-156s and their brethren have survived in Europe and North America. About 20 are still capable of flying today. — Research by Felix Usis Fieseler FI-156 “Storch” (Stork) Specifications (Fi 156C-2) Engine:
One 240-hp Argus As 10C-3, 8-cylinder inverted-V piston engine Weight: Empty 2,050 lbs., Max Takeoff 2,921 lbs. Wing Span: 46 ft. 9 in. Length: 32 ft. 5.75 in. Height: 10 ft. 0 in. Maximum Speed: 109 mph Cruising Speed: 81 mph Ceiling: 15,090 ft. Range: 239 miles Armament: One rear-firing 7.93-mm (0.31-inch) machine gun on pivot mount Number Built: 2,900+ Number Still Airworthy: ~20
It was again restored and test flown in 2000. This time it was under British registration as G-BKBB. It was airworthy and occasionally flown from the Shuttleworth Museum at Old Warden in the UK until 2003. This Fury made it’s last flight and then flew back to Belgium. It was stored and maintained in full airworthy condition in Belgium until the Military Aviation Museum acquired the aircraft in 2009 and had it shipped to America. It is painted, as were most Royal Air Force aircraft of the time, in all silver with the squadron markings on the side. The Military Aviation Museum’s Hawker Fury Mk I, K1930 is painted as it was flown by the Commanding Officer, Squadron Leader, L. H. Slatter of 43 Squadron, circa early 1932. — Research by Felix Usis The Hawker Fury with its original Rolls Royce Kestrel engine
Hawker Fury MK I The Military Aviation Museum’s Hawker Fury (N31FY, s/n WA6) was built by Westward Airways (Lands End) Ltd. and completed in 1982. It is considered a recreation due to the many new parts in its construction. Westward Airways was able to find and use many original parts, but the most exciting was to locate the exact engine. They managed to find a very rare original Kestrel engine in a car museum in New Zealand. This aircraft is the only airworthy example of this historic biplane fighter in the world. After its completion, it made some very rare public appearances between 1993-1996. At that time, it was British registered as 00HFU. The aircraft was damaged during a slow, low level pass at a Belgian air show in 1996. The pilot suffered only minor injuries.
Hawker Fury MK I Specifications Wing span: Length: Height: Wing Area: Empty: Max Gross: Max Speed: Climb Rate: Ceiling: Normal Range: Powerplant: Armament:
30 ft (9.14 m) 26 ft 8 in (8.12 m) 10 ft 2 in. (3.09 m) 252 sq. ft. (76.80 sq. m) 2,623 lb. (1,189 kg) 3,490 lb (1,583 kg) 207 mph (333 km/h) at 14,000 ft (4,267 m) 4 min. 25 sec. to 10,000 ft. (3,048 m) 28,000 ft. (8,534 m) 305 miles (490 km) Rolls Royce Kestrel IIS, 525 hp (391 kW) for TO, 12 cyl., vee, liquid cooled engine, driving a 2 blade, Watts wooden propeller. Standard upper front fuselage 0.303 in. Vickers machine-guns with 600 rounds per gun
Olympics. It was the only time that aerobatics were ever held as an event at the Olympics! Later, in preparation for WWII, the German Luftwaffe relied heavily on the Jungmeister for aerobatic and combat manuever training for their fighter pilots. Bücker Bü-133C Jungmeister Specifications Country of Manufacturer: Manufacturer: Engine:
Beechcraft T-34B “Mentor” 1956
Horsepower: Empty Weight: Gross Weight: Top Speed: Length: Height: Wingspan: Crew:
Germany DORNIER-FLUGZEUGE SIEMENS SH14 seven cylinder radial piston 185 hp 925 lbs. 1,290 lbs. 150 mph 19 feet 4 inches 7 feet 4 inches 21 feet 7 inches One
Beechcraft began production of the T-34 Mentor in 1948 in response to their highly successful Model 35 Bonanza. In 1954 the Mentor was adopted as a trainer aircraft by the United States Air Force. Later it also became the primary trainer for the United States Navy. Over the next 20 years Beech continued to produce the T34, later building the T-34C model with its double-horsepower Pratt & Whitney turbo prop engine. About 100 of the 1,300 T-34s built still remain in military service today as trainer aircraft. Mentors continue to fly in the trainer role at NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Beechcraft T-34B Mentor Specifications Manufacturer: Engine: Max Horsepower: Empty Weight: Max Take-off Weight: Max Speed: Normal Cruising Speed: Length: Height: Wingspan: Range: Crew:
Beechcraft Continental IO-550B 300 hp 2,055 lbs. 2,900 lbs. 252 mph 170 mph 25 feet 10 inches 10 feet 0.25 inch 32 feet 10 inches 500 miles Two; instructor and student
de Havilland Of Canada DHC-1 “Chipmunk” Nicknamed “Chippie”, the DHC-1 Chipmunk was developed just after WWII by de Havilland Canada to replace the de Havilland Tiger Moth as a single engine basic trainer aircraft. The Chipmunk first flew on May 22, 1946. Initially, 218 were built for the Royal Canadian Air Force. After a change to the Gipsy Major 10 engine, 735 planes were built for the RAF’s primary pilot training bases. These were designated as T10s. This particular DHC-1 served a long military career with the Royal Air Force College Cranwell. It appears today in its 1955 paint scheme when attached to 663 AOP Squadron based at RAF Hooton Park, Cheshire, England. de Havilland Of Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk Specifications
Bücker Bü-133C “Jungmeister” Introduced and first flown in 1935 by Carl Bücker, the Bü 133C Jungmeister was a highly aerobatic German single-seater advanced trainer biplane. The Bücker Jungmeister dominated the aerobatic scene in Europe and the United States from the mid-1930’s through the 1940s. Just prior to WWII, Germany won the gold medal in aerobatics using this type of aircraft in the 1936 Berlin Summer
Country of Manufacturer: Manufacturer: Engine: Max Horsepower: Empty Weight: Max Take-off Weight: Max Speed: Length: Height: Wingspan: Endurance: Ceiling: Crew:
Canada, England, Portugal and Australia de Havilland de Havilland Gipsy Major 10 MK.2 145 hp 1,425 lbs 2,100 lbs 138 mph at sea level 25 feet 5 inches 7 feet 0 inches 34 feet 4 inches 2 hours 40 minutes 15,800 feet Two; instructor and student
Florida and Avenger 53454 followed south. Soon after this move, the Navy sent the TBM-3E to Montere air base and Palau air base in the Pacific Islands. When the Avenger returned to the United States, it was briefly stationed in Norfolk again and quickly moved to Corpus Christi Naval Air Station. The U.S. Navy released this aircraft on April 12, 1956 with only 1,227 hours logged.
TBM-3E “Avenger” 1945 In the late 1930’s the United States Navy began searching for a replacement for the Douglas Devastator. The search ended when Grumman presented the XTBF-1 prototype to the U.S. Navy. The large, powerful radial engine fit well into the barrel-shaped fuselage signature to Grumman aircraft of that era. The requirement for a three person crew to deliver the mass amounts of weaponry, was accommodated by increasing the wing and fuselage length. Production of the TBF Avenger began in 1941 and by June of 1942 the United States Navy flew these planes into combat during the Battle of Midway. Former President George Bush Sr. was shot down by the Japanese while flying an Avenger during World War Two. Their huge popularity presented a problem for Grumman and they had to contract much of the production out to General Motors Corporation. Grumman completely ceased production of the Avenger in December of 1943 and General Motors continued production. Of the 9836 Avengers built, 7546 came off of the assembly lines of General Motors. These Avengers, built by General Motors, were designated TBM’s. Variants of the Avenger, such as the TBF-1C’s, were very easy to produce since the changes were very minor. The TBF-1C added 0.50 guns in each wing. The TBM-3W replaced armaments in the bomb bay with a large radome. The ease at which Grumman and General Motors could adapt the Avenger allowed for production to remain fast as different variants were designed. The Avengers were mainly used as Torpedo Dive Bombers, which would hunt out and destroy enemy U-Boats. Eventually, heavy anti-aircraft guns were mounted on U-Boats to defend themselves while surfaced. The Navy developed a new strategy of sending in a F4F Wildcat to strafe the U-Boat with gunfire, forcing them to submerge. The Avenger would follow behind with a Fido torpedo that could detect, target and destroy the submarine. Aircraft carriers could carry many of these aircraft because of the small amount of space they occupied once the wings were folded. Jet Assisted Take-Off (JATO) engines were sometimes used to allow the Avengers to use short runways on ships and land. Many other militaries used Avengers including Canada, Britain, France and New Zealand. Much of the Avenger’s notoriety came when five of these planes disappeared from radar and were never heard from again while flying through the Bermuda Triangle. The final Avengers rolled off of the General Motors assembly lines in June of 1945 and remained in naval service well into the 1950’s.
Civilian duty for TBM Avenger 53454 began in Boise, Idaho where it was used as an air tanker. During the mid 1980’s the plane headed back to Texas where it was on display in Corpus Christie until 1992. It was sold again six years later, where the restoration process began in East Troy, Wisconsin. After the restoration was completed, the Avenger made it to several air shows before being purchased and delivered to the Military Aviation Museum. The plane is currently painted in the light gray and white design of Captain Richard “Zeke” Cormier when he flew missions over the Atlantic Ocean in 1943. Captain Cormier flew over 130 combat missions and had eight victories over Japanese aircraft. During his military career, Richard earned the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, and eight Air Medals. After World War Two, Captain Cormier was honored with being assigned the leader of the Navy’s Blue Angels for three years. He retired in 1962 after 26 years of active duty. The TBM-3E Avenger requires the pilot to possess a special type rating in order to be flown. During its stay at the Military Aviation Museum, the rear gun turret has been restored back to working condition and the plane is scheduled to attend several air shows along the east coast in the coming year. 1945 TBM-3E Avenger Specifications Engine: Horsepower: Weight: Max Speed: Cruise Speed: Armament: Range: Fuel Usage: Fuel Capacity:
Wing Span: Length: Height:
Curtis Wright R2600-20 1,900 hp 10,000lbs empty 18,250lbs max take-off combat weight 267 mph 180 mph Two .50 caliber machine guns .50 caliber machine gun in power turret Eight 3.5 inch rockets 1,130 miles internal fuel (max range) (2,130 miles with all extra fuel) 78 gallons per hour 795 gallons max 325 gallons internal Two 100 gallon wing drop tanks 270 gallon drop tank from the bomb bay 52 feet 2 inches - 19 feet when wings folded 40 feet 16 feet 5 inches
The Military Aviation Museum’s 1945 TBM-3E Avenger was originally built as an anti-submarine variant. Its first tours with the Unites States Navy were in Norfolk, Virginia with VS-22, FASTRON-3 and VS-801. Squadron VS-801 was moved to Miami,
Serving the needs of Tidewater and Southeast Virginia
Louis D. Strom Registered Representative
LIFE INSURANCE • LONG TERM CARE INSURANCE INVESTMENTS • EMPLOYEE BENEFITS Registered Representative/Securities offered through Signator Investors, Inc., Member FINRA, SIPC. The Frieden Agency is independent of John Hancock and Signator Investors, Inc.