Tuesday October 09, 2012
Guyanese woman among three killed in - was travelling to see pregnant Antiguan plane crash daughter in Montserrat hospital
Basseterre, St. Kitts (WINN): Three people are now confirmed dead as a result of a plane crash in Antigua on Sunday afternoon. A fourth person is in a critical condition at the Mount St John's Medical Centre. Among those dead is pilot Captain Jason Forbes, a national of Antigua. Forbes and one female passenger died on the scene. It was initially reported that the female passenger who died on the scene was a British tourist. WINN FM has since learned from sources on Montserrat, that she was resident on the island, a Jamaican national who taught Maths at the Montserrat Secondary
School. The third passenger, another woman, was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at hospital. Kaieteur News was told by honorary consul for Antigua, Robert 'Bobby' Reis, that the woman has being identified as Sandrana Poligadu. According to Reis the woman's daughter lives in Montserrat and was in the hospital. Kaieteur News was told that the mother was going to her daughter. The nine-seater Britten Norman Islander Registration Fly Montserrat flight 107 had just taken off from the VC Bird International Airport just after 4:00 p.m. destined for Montserrat, when it crashed onto Runway Seven.
Reports indicate that the third victim was a Guyanese national who was on her way to Montserrat to visit her daughter. The sole survivor is a young man, believed to be a Montserratian. At a hastily called press conference on Sunday night, Airport officials said that though there had been rain and lightening during the afternoon, at the time that the aircraft took off, the weather was clear. Brenton Henry, Senior Journalist from Antigua's Observer Radio was the first reporter on the scene following Sunday's crash, and he attended the press conference. He spoke with WINN FM on Monday morning.
Guyanese businessman is third murder victim for year in Montserrat Monterrat (MNIalive.com) - A third victim of homicide so far for 2012 has been reported in Montserrat. The latest victim to have been criminally killed on the island is Guyanese national and local small business owner, Aubrey Barry. Barry, who was known by many, having lived on the island for a number of years, operated a mini-mart in the village of Cudjoe Head, selling vegetables and other convenient household items. He died on Thursday, October 4. According to the MNIalive website, while the facts surrounding the murder of Barry are still sketchy, multiple reports said that Barry was fatally assaulted by a known assailant of Jamaican origin, known locally
by the name of Orin Evans. Evans, it is alleged, is employed in the service of Her Majestyâ€™s Prison on Montserrat. According to the report, Barry was so seriously wounded that he had to be airlifted from the island of Montserrat to Barbados for further medical assistance. Fly Montserrat has confirmed that it performed this medivac service. It further confirmed that the airline was first alerted to the emergency requirement at 3:00AM on Thursday, October 4, but for reasons outside of its control the medivac did not take off until 6:45AM. Barry eventually succumbed to his wounds shortly after arriving and was pronounced dead. It was unclear what happened to his attacker.