444 Conversation Questions (04/11/21) STARTER (as needed): What is your favorite coping behavior in response to anxiety, stress, frustration, etc. (e.g., ice cream, alcohol, napping, online shopping, TV…)? How helpful is it? SCRIPTURE: Matthew 22:36-40 34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” DISCUSSION: 1) Matt said “the law of God is for our flourishing.” Over the years how have you found yourself agreeing and disagreeing with that statement?
2) Why do you think loving God with all we are is the great commandment instead of something else?
3) Our ability to love God well is endangered not by his character but by our view of his attitude toward us. How do you believe God feels about you today? - Matt noted that God will never love you any more than He does right now. How convinced are you that that statement is true? -
How does how God feels about you impact your ability to love God well?
4) On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being whole and 1 being hollow, where are you today? - What has led to your hollowness? - What would being whole look and feel like?
5) What would it look like for you to pursue God and love him even from a “low tank” rather than simply wait for him to fill you back up first?
6) What part of your heart do you hold back from God and why? - What would help you release that part to him? CLOSING PRAYER
Questions based on Sunday's message by Dr. Matthew Merrill