Coding Brings IMAGINATION to Life General STEM Education STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. It’s a big focus in education around the country because the demand for STEM jobs is so high. • The projections show that the increase and demand for STEM related careers is far outpacing growth in all other occupations. In fact, by 2020 there will be 1 million more computer science jobs than students who can enter the labor force as skilled workers.
”Leadership tomorrow depends on how we educate our students today— especially in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.”
by Judy Adorno, Director, St. Petersburg Sylvan Learning Center
The Demand for STEM is High
President Barak Obama, September 16, 2010
• Leadership tomorrow depends on how we educate and inspire our students today so we can fill all of these STEM jobs in the future. • Data shows it’s important to get kids started in STEM early on. In fact, 4 out of 5 college students majoring in a STEM field made the decision to do so in high school or earlier.
STEM at Sylvan • At Sylvan we want to build excitement for STEM early on, so our classes are designed to be really fun and interactive. Kids just love them!
• Our coding kids get to work on very cool projects, like creating animations and building actual video games so they’re having fun while learning critical STEM skills.
• We know that the earlier we can get kids to understand that STEM is cool, the better we can set them up for success down the road.
“Our policy at Facebook is literally to hire as many talented engineers as we can find. There just aren’t enough people who are trained and have these skills today.” Mark Zuckerberg, Founder, Facebook
Building Robots is COOL!
• All EDGE programs have group dynamics, so kids can bring their friends or make new ones! When they are with friends, the learning environment becomes more engaging and fun!
• We know kids love building with LEGOS®. It brings out their imagination and creativity, but our new Robotics courses take it so much further.
• Kids in our Robotics class will learn engineering concepts like how pulleys and levers and motors • Coding is just cool! Computer programming is work. And they get programming skills as well in almost everything around you so it’s a very because once they build their LEGO models, important skill to have. Many schools are even they program the models to life into robots— allowing it to fulfill a language requirement. they move and make sounds! • Our courses help kids get some programming basics in a very kid-friendly way. They are not writing lines and lines of code – we use very visual and intuitive building blocks that make it easy to learn and use.
46 • January 2017
• Students have a blast while getting exposure to critical STEM skills and working as young scientists, engineers, and mathematicians! Say you saw it in the Gulf Coast Family Newspaper
Judy Adorno, owner and director of the St. Petersburg Sylvan Learning Center, leads daily operations to develop the academic skills and personal confidence needed by every student in order to achieve success in school and in life. Judy and her husband, Bob, have been married for 51 years. They have two children and two grandchildren. www.gulfcoastfamily.org
Published on Jan 1, 2017
Gulf Coast Family's primary purpose is to encourage families along the Gulf Coast by providing worthwhile information that deals with family...