Grosveno or Prints 19 Shelton n Street Covent G Garden London W WC2H 9JN N
Tel: 020 0 7836 19799 gro firstname.lastname@example.org m www.ggrosvenorp prints.com m
Cataalogu ue 86 Occtober 20 018
Item 671: Michaeel Xin
Thiss catalog gue is illuustrated in n full on our webb site
www w.grossvenorp prints.com Cover illusstration: dettail from item 83 Registered d in England No. 1 1305630 Registe red Office: 2, Casstle Business Villa age, Station Roadd, Hampton, Midd dlesex. TW12 2BX X. Rainbrook Ltd. Directors: N.C. Talbot. T.D.M. Ray yment. C.E. Ellis. E&OE VA AT No. 217 6907 49
1. Vase in the Consservatory Room at Bromley H Hill, brought from Romee by the Earrl Brownlow. A L [monogrram of Ameliaa Long.] Printted by C. Hullmandel. [n.d., c.1820.] o chine colléé. 270 x 240mm m Rare & scarcce lithograph on (14½ x 9½"), with large margins. m Surfacce wear & soiling. £1660 A vase belonnging to John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow, who was marrried to the arttist's suster. Amelia Longg (née Hume),, Lady Farnbo orough (17721837). In 17793 she marrieed Charles Lon ng, created Baron Farnboorough in 18226. An amateu ur etcher and a vigorous patrron of the artss, he assisted the t watercolourist Thomas Girrtin (1775-180 02) to make hhis Paris in 1801. Lady Farnborrough was one visit to P Girtin's favouurite pupil, annd her work was w widely admired by pprofessional arrtists and draw wing masters. Her watercollours also show w the influencce of her contemporaryy John Varleyy. Stock: 49996
2. The P Portland Vaase. Chromo-lith..d & Pub.d byy C. Burton, 5 Lit: Russell S St Cov. Gar. [n..d., c.1845.] Chromolithograph. Sheet 345 3 x 245mm m (13½ x 9¾")). Small foxingg. £1660 The Portlandd Vase, a 1st century c Roman n vase that passed througgh the hands of o the Barberiini family, Sirr William Ham milton and the Duchess of Portland P beforre being acquireed by the British Museum in i 1945. This print was proobably publishhed in the afteermath of the smashing of the vase by William W Lloyd in 1845. Stock: 49781
The W Warwick Vaase, as it app pears in thee Green Hou use erected for f it, at Warwick Castlle. 3.
Drawn from Nature & on Stone by J. Brrandard. [Leamingtonn, Published byy C. Elston, 12, Lower Unioon Parade. M&N N Hanhart, Liith Printers.][n n.d. c.1845.] Lithograph. S Sheet: 185 x 230mm 2 (7¼ x 9''). Creasingg £775 v standing g on an A view of a llarge antique vase, inscribed peddestal among trees t planted in i pots and in the ground, w with figures off a man and woman w standinng at its side to tthe left, and a man on crutcches pointing aat the vase. a Roman n marble vase The Warwickk Vase is an ancient that was disccovered at Haddrian's Villa in n Tivoli c.17771
by y Gavin Hamiiton. It was soold to the Britiish envoy at th he court of Nap ples, Sir Williiam Hamilton n, who sh hipped the vasse to his elder nephew, George Greville, 2n nd Earl of Waarwick, who coommissioned a special grreenhouse for it to preservee it from the British Climate. Stock: 50280
4.. At Warrwick Castlee The Celeb brated Warwick W Vasse in Marblee, Height 4 fett f 10 in nches, exclussively of thee Plinth._Greated diiameter of the Lip 6 feeet 3 inches. En ngraved by Henry Moses. L London Publisshed by W.B. Cookes, 9 Soho o Square, Oct..r 13.th 1827. ngraving on porcelain p card.. Sheet: 155 x 200mm (6 x En 8''). £140 he Warwick Vase V is a Rom man marble vasse with Th Bacchic ornament, discovereed in the silt of a marshy po ond at Hadrian n's Villa about ut 1771 by Gav vin Hamilton. He H sold the frag gments to Sir William Ham milton who reepaired it with h Carrara marbble and shippeed it to his neephew Georgee Greville, 2ndd Earl of Warwick, who seet it on a lawn at Warwick C Castle before building b a co onservatory fo or it. As a fam mous piece, a mould m was made m of it and two t full-size bbronze replicaas were cast, on ne now Windssor Castle, thee other in the Fitzwilliam F Museum. M At au uction in 19788 the vase was purchased by y the Metropo olitan Museum m of Art, but after a it was deeclared an object of nationaal importance an export liccence was den nied. It is now w in the Burrelll Collection neear Glasgow in Scotland. Stock: 50486
Titania a, Puck, the Changeling g, &c. (F From Shakeespear's Playy of "Midsu ummer Night's N Dream m"). Engraaved by Edw ward Sccriven, Historical Engraaver to the Prince P of Wales W from an a unfinisheed Picture by y George Romney, R Esq q. in the Poseession of Sirr John Fleming Leiccesyer, Bar.tt. Who by ap ppropriating a Gallery exclusively to English Pictures has evinced e a paatriotic lovee for the Fine Arts of his h Countryy, & to whom m this plate iss most respectfully inscrribed. 5..
Class 1. Paintin ng for ''the Finne Arts of the English on: Published December 1, 1810 by Scchool''. Londo Lo ongman & Co o. Paternoster Row: J Taylo or, High Holborn H & W. Bond 87 New wman St. Sttipple. Sheet: 270 x 320mm m (10¾ x 12½'''). Crease in to op left corner. Trimmed to pplatemark. £130 Po ortrait of Emm ma Hamilton aas Titania afteer Romney, ly ying at right, leeaning on her elbows and resting her haands on her ch hin, looking too front with a smile, Puck ty ying a ribbon around a the ankkle of baby ly ying at left, faairies in the sk ky behind. Laady Emma Haamilton (c.17665-1815), wass the famous wife w of Sir Willliam Hamiltonn, and mistresss of Nelson. Horne: H 56. II. Ex E Collectionn: Earl of Butee. Stock: 50251
Gran nd Album dees Célébritéés Industriellees Contemporains. 186 62. 6.
Paris: Imprim merie de Georrges Kugelman nn. Rare folio, orriginal blind-ddecorated clotth gilt, with fivve studs on fronnt and back booards; letterpreess title and 144 tinted lithogrraph plates, onne wood engraaved, each witth a page of lettterpress. Innerr hinges and plates p strainedd; some plates ddamaged. £7550 A scarce boook of descriptiions of the preemises of 15 French indusstrialists, Winee & Champag gne houses including Muumm etc, incluuding the mussical instrumeent factory of Addolphe Sax (1814-94), inventor of the saxophone. A An advert for "photo album ms from Scherrff Freres " at baack. Stock: 50436
10 0. [Staineed Window iin Rugby Scchool.] [n n.d., c.1875.] Watercolour. W Sheet: 545 x 1995mm (21½ x 7¾''). Sttained, laid on n card. £160 A drawing of a stained glass window in Ru ugby School Chapel. Dedicaated to Mary A Arnold (1790-1873) who was w the widow of Dr Thomaas Arnold who o was one of th he greatest heaadmasters of thhe school from m 1828-42). Stock: 49688
11 1. Model of an originnal Design fo or a Monument M to o the Memorry of Gen.l Wolfe, W in th he possession n of Charless Thomaarty yr Crane, Merch.t M Lond don. Roubiliac fecit. Cook sculp. [Gent. Mag. Jan. J 1789. Pll.1.] En ngraving. Sheeet 215 x 165m mm (8½ x 6½"). Trimmed, £80 fo olds as normall. A design for a memorial m to G General Jamess Wolfe, hero off Quebec, by Louis L Françoiis Roubiliac (1 1702-62). Th he dying Wolfe is supported ed by Victory, Britannia lo ooking on. Stock: 48998
12 2. Arc de Triomphe dde Titus Vesspasien. Dedié D à Monssiegneur Arrmand Thom mas Hüe, Chevalier, C Marquis M de M Miroménil, Conseiller C du u Roi en tou us ses Conseeils, Premierr Président du u Parlementt de Normanndie Par son n tres Humble H et tres Obéissannt Serviteur N. Le Mire..
Stand ding Bowl & Cover of Silver-gilt S presented b by William Camden, C Cllarencieux King at Arms, to the Worshipful W Company C off Paper Stain ners. 7.
R.B. Schnebbbelie sculp. [nn.d., c.1840.] Rare etching: 245 x 170mm m (9¾ x 6½'')). Trimmed. £660 A print of ann ornate cup prresented to thee Worshipful Company off Paper-Stainerrs by historian n and herald mden (1551-16623). William Cam Stock: 50461
8. [Chin noiserie walllpaper desig gn?] [French, c.17770?] Etching withh fine original hand colour. 460 4 x 460mm m (18¼ x 18¼""). Centre foldd, chipping to wide marginss. £4990 A parrot withh multicoloureed wings and tail, in a tree with differennt flowers and fruit in vibran nt colour. Stock: 50623
9. [Wattercolour off a Roman Fresco?]. Jessex ? pinxx.t. [n.d, c.18330.] Watercolour.. Sheet: 330 x 235mm (13 x 9¼''). Laid oon album sheet. £1880 y robes, A portrait off a serving girll in pink and yellow carrying a traay of figs and a jug. Perhaps a copy of ann Ancient Rom man fresco? Stock: 50478
De D la Croix. Lee Mire. à Pariss chés le Mire Graveur, des Académies A de Vienne V et de R Rouen, rue S. Etienne des Grècs. G [n.d., c.1 1760.] En ngraving. 355 x 475mm (144 x 18¾"), with very large margins. m £320 A capriccio of Rome's R Arch oof Titus, reloccated to the baanks of a riverr with men fisshing with nets from a boat,, a fortified toweer behind. Stock: 50665
13 3. [River and Landsccape from a Cave.] J. Vernet p.t. A. de Marcenayy s.bat 1756 No. N 14. 50 x 290mm Fiine engraving, unfinished pproof. Plate: 25 (9 9¾ x 11½''), with w large marggins. £260 A view showing men on the banks of a riv ver fishing. After A a painting g by Claude Jooseph Vernet (1714-1789). Stock: 50407
qui du Texel de Loondres, de Bordeaux, B S'en vont cheercher, par uun heureux echange .D De nouveaux x biens nes aaux sources du Gange, Id dem Ibid 14 4.
Venet V pinx. Fraanc:co Pedo scculp ap. Nic. Cavalli. C Venetÿs. V [n.d., c.1770.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 325 x 410m mm (12¾ x 16''), 18th £260 ceentury waterm mark. Trimmedd within plate. Fiisherman bringing in their nnets on the sho ore in the fo oreground, witth a castle andd other buildin ngs around th he lake behind d. From a seriees by Francescco del Pedro (1 1749 - 1806) after a Joseph V Vernet (1714 - 1789), the faamous marine painter. Vernnet studied and d worked in Rome (1734-53 3) until recalleed to Paris wh here he was
commissioneed to paint a seet representing French harbours (thee 'Ports de Fraance'). Publish hed in Venice by Nicolo Cavallli (1730 - 18222).
An A architecturaal drawing shoowing the inteeriors of an arrch, showing measurements m s of the walls and spaces an nd high and lo ow tide marks..
15. [Wellsh Landscap pe with Fish hing.] [n.d., c.1790.] S 190 x 24 40mm (7½ x Hand-coloured aquatint. Sheet: Whatman wateermark. Trimm med. £665 9½''), with W A view of a w welsh landscaape, two figurees with horsess walk along a path on the leeft, a man fish hes on the righht and a large castle can be seeen in the disttance.
[Two photographic p c copies of pencil p sk ketches of th he inside of a hut. SY Y [monogram m] 1865. Ph hotographs. Each c. 100 x 1150mm (4 x 6"). Edges hiidden under co ontemporary m mount. £160 Apparently A the two ends of th the same hut, with w cots allong the sides for the male ooccupants. In one scene tw wo men play dominoes. d Stock: 49545
Vue P Proche du Mont-Ferrat M t. Gravé d;apres le T Tableau origginal, Peint par Vernet,, appartenan nt à Mr God dfroy de Villlelaneuse. 16.
J. Vernet Pinnxit. le Veau Sculp. S A Paris, chez Basan [n.d., c.1760.] w very largge Engraving. 4405 x 515mm (16 x 20¼"), with margins. Unccut. £3220 An Italianatee landscape wiith a bridge an nd cascade. Exx: the Kedlestonn Hall collection. Stock: 50660
17. [Ston neyhurst.] Etch.d by S. Middiman. [nn.d., c.1800.] of. 425 x Unfinished eetching with enngraving, proo 545mm (16¾ ¾ x 21½"), witth very large margins. m Weaar to edges, sligght abrasion accross front of building. £3660 The BM exam mple is finished, printed on n chine collé, but with no ffurther inscripptions. BM 188 80,0110.84, also unidentif ified. Stock: 49821
Venu us Endormiee. Gravé d'a apres un Tableau Orriginal de Francois Le Moine. M 18.
F. Le Moine pinx.t. F. Aliaamet sculp.t. Se S vend à Londres chezz T. Major danns St Martin's Lane. Publish'd acccording to Actt of Parliamen nt 1761. Engraving. 3380 x 430mm (15 x 17"), larrge margins. Repaired tearr in margin, soome creasing and spotting. £3880 A naked Vennus, asleep witth her back to the viewer. The English publisher, Thomas Major (1720-99), 1 and 1749 9 and made worked in Paaris between 1745 contacts in thhe Paris print trade t that allo owed him to acquire Frencch plates like this. Stock: 50090
[Russsian Frontisspiece in Cyrillic.] [Architectu ural Drawin ngs of the Ru uins of Ancient Boolgar] A. Sch hmitt 19.
[1827.] mm (9¾ x 7'').. Creasing. £885 Etching. Platte: 245 x 175m Stock: 50521
20. [Arch hitectural Drawing.] D [n.d., c.1800.] S 330 x Ink drawing, 18th century watermark. Sheet: £3220 405mm (13 x 16''). Creasinng and tears.
22 2. [Sign Sample.] S Thee Lamb Geo orges. Watercolour W on n board. Sheett: 260 x 185mm (10¼ x 7¼ ¼''). £75 A sample for a sign, probablyy for a pub sh howing a leeaping lamb in n green field. Under in penccil DS&A Daylight D signbo oards 4' x 3'. Stock: 50281
23 3. [Tromp pe l'Oeil Lanndscapes an nd Brush.] [n n.d., c.1840.] Fiine watercolou ur, with emboossed card. Sheet: 190 x 22 20mm (7½ x 8¾''). 8 Laid onn album sheet. £190 Stock: 50468
24 4. [Apoth heosis of Louuis XVI.] Fiils de St. Louis L Montezz au Ciel. P..W. Schwarz fec.t. f [n.d., c.11793.] Rare engraving g. Plate: 365 x 230mm (14¼ ¼ x 9''). Paper lo oss in top left margin. m Smalll margins on 3 sides. £160 An A allegory forr the apotheosi sis of Louis XIIV of France fo ollowing his ex xecution folloowing the Fren nch Revolution. Stock: 50411
25. Mediitiation. H. Singleton Delin.t. Geo. Townly Stub bbs sculp.t. H.R.H. the Priince of [Wales.] London Engraver to H Published Juuly 9.th 1800 by b G.T. Stubbs No.97 High Street, Maryllebone. Stipple, printted in colours. Sheet: 310 x 215mm (12 x 8½''). Trimm med and foxingg. £1220 An allegoricaal scene show wing a female figure f in meditation. C CL-B George Stubbs: Appen ndix II 122. E Ex Collection off Hon Christoppher Lennox-B Boyd.
29 9. Spaniells. Startingg a Hare. Paainted by J. Bensted. Drawnn on Stone by y J.W. Giles. Lo ondon, Published by W.m SSpooner, 259 Regent Sttreet, Sep.r 20 0th 1832. Fiine hand-colou ured lithograpph. Sheet: 170 0 x 180mm (6 6¾ x 7''). Trim mmed, damagee in title area. £130 A scene showin ng a pair of sppaniels chasing g after a hare. Stock: 49895
30 0. The Problem Play LXXXV. [in n pencil.] Diana D Thorne. [signed in penncil.] [n.d., c.1 1940.] Ettching. Plate: 185 x 230mm m (7¼ x 9''), with w very largee margins. m Moun nt burn. £230 A scene showin ng three puppiies watching a spinning to op. Stock: 50628
The Idlle Child. W Who can beho old this fa ace, so spoil''d by sullen looks [/] An nd not diislike the Ch hild who thuus dislikes his h Books. 31 1.
Mirth h. She flies,, her elder sifter Health h to find. 26.
S. Shelley pinx.t. W. Nutteer sculp.t. Lon ndon, Publish''d Feb:y 1;st 17789, by C. Tayylor No.10 neaar Castle Streeet, Holborn. mm (7¼ x 5½''), with very Stipple. Platee: 185 x 140m large marginns. £660 wing a young woman w lookinng An allegoricaal scene show into the distaance. Stock: 50298
Paainted by T. Ducheé. D Engraaved by H. Daawe. London, Pu ublished Marcch, 1825, by Z Zach.h Sweet, 38, Chancery Lane. Rare mezzotint. Sheet: 320 x 230mm (12½ ½ x 9''). Trrimmed, tear in i title & creaase left corner. £160 A portrait of a miserable m chilld, relunctant to do his leessons, on the table next to hhim is a chalk kboard on which w a teacherr has written 'D Dunce' and a bundle of sticks used on naughty n childrren. Open book on desk "B Bad boy not to o mind his boook and learn to be wise" Stock: 50056
32 2. [Putney y School.] [n n.d., c.1800.] Rare aquatint. Sheet: S 100 x 1150mm (4 x 6''). Trimmed, daamaged. £140 A view of a sch hool, a group oof boys play cricket c in the yaard outside. Stock: 50054
Dispeersit superb bos mente co ordis sui Dieeu confond less projets dess superbes. Cantiq. C de laa Vierge Lucc.1. Le Tem mps découvree la Verité, laquelle sou utenüe par l'Amour l de la Vertu, Confond ett reverse la Calomnie, C l''Envie, et laa Sourberie. 27.
F. Roëttiers iinvenit. N. Taardieu sculp. [n n.d., c.1740.] Engraving, inn ink verso Drr. H Mesurier Eastwood Haay. Plate: 375 x 2225mm (14¾ x 9''), with laarge margins. Tears in marggins and manuuscript in low wer margins. £1660 A allegoricall scene showinng the allegorical figures off Time, Truth and Love defe feating the figu ures of Calumny, Ennvy and Deceiit. Stock: 50380
28. Lovee Me Love My M Dog. J. Hoppner R R.A. pinx. W. Greatbatch scculp. [n.d., c.1840.] Sheet: 140 x 105mm (5½ x 4¼''). 4 Laid onn Engraving. S album sheet. £665 wing a young girl cuddling her spaniel. A scene show
33 3. Rossalll, from the C Cricket-Field. E. Burrows. Pu ublished by W W.H. Beynon & C.o. Cheltenham. Rare etching, on india paper.. Plate: 175 x 315mm (7 x £260 12 2½''), with larg ge margins. A view of Rosssall School in Lancashire. Stock: 50050
Kings College. C Chaapel and Cla are Hall in th he University of Cambri ridge. Prooff Print. 34 4.
R.Harraden Delin & Excud. PPublish'd Octtober 12th 17 797 by R. Harrraden No. 166 Little Newpo ort Street, Leeicester Squarre London _ A And David Ho ood, Prrintseller Cam mbridge. Fiine aquatint, printed p in coloours and hand finished. Sh heet 430 x 580 0mm (17 x 222¾"). Trimmed within pllate; bottom margin m reinstatted, a few tearrs to edges, paaper lightly toned. £550 One O of seven pllates in Harrad aden's 'Views of o Cambridge'. Ab bbey Scenery 775. Stock: 49809
35. This East Prospeect of Kings College in Cambridgee, as intendeed to be finiish'd, is humbly Isccrib'd to thee Worshipful Andrew Snape D.D.. Provost, The Vice Provost, Fellow ws & Scholarss, of the sam me, by their most m humblle Servant, Jaam: Essex Ju un.r. Jam.s Gibbs Arch h. Jam.s Essex Jun.r Delin. 1741. P. Fourd drinier Sculp.tt. nt. Published according to Acct of Parliamen Engraving. 5570 x 625mm (22½ x 24½")). Trimmed close to neatlline at top, tw wo binding fold ds. £6550 A rare bird's--eye view of the t quadranglee of King's College, pubblished by Jam mes Essex (172 22-84) to ng out the couurt illustrate his ambitious schheme for layin and gardens, on the supposition that the three buildinggs designed by Gibbs were coompleted. Esssex proposed '''to lay out four ggrass-plots of equal size in the quadranglle, separated by broad gravel walks; and tw wo similar grasssplots betweenn the new building and the river. The bridge was too be moved too its present po osition, and thhe ground beyonnd to be plantted with trees in regular linees, round a rectaangular lake orr basin comm municating withh the Cam. A ccircular templee, with a dom mical roof, wass to be built onn a central eminence westw ward of the lakee''. Essex, son off a builder of the t same nam me, had a grammar eduucation at the school of Kin ng's College before receivving training from f the archittect Sir Jamess Burroughs. T This elevationn was drawn when w he was only nineteenn, suggesting he had help frrom Burroughhs or even Jamees Gibbs. In 1749 he toook over his faather's businesss, spending most of his ccareer workingg on Cambridg ge colleges, including dessigning and errecting an altaarpiece at Kingg's College in 17776.
38 8. Magda alene Tower.. F.. Nash del.t. G. G Lewis sculpp.t. London, Pub.d Aug.t 1. 18 814, at 101 Strand, for R. A Ackermann's History H of Oxford. O Fiine coloured aquatint, a J. Whhatman 1812 watermark. 30 00 x 250mm (11¾ ( x 10"). £240 Magdalen M Tower, the bell tow wer of Magdaalen College, co ompleted in 15 509. Stock: 50004
The Qu uadrangle off New College, from th he South Weest Corner. The Oxford d Almanack A Fo or the Year oof our Lord d God, MDCCXXCI M III . 39 9.
[O Oxford: Oxforrd University PPress. 1793.] Bit later. En ngraving. Sheeet 515 x 480m mm (20¼ x 19 9") Bottom rig ght corner rep placed, affectinng engraver's inscription, reepaired tear in margin. Smaall margins. £220 Th he Oxford Alm manack is an aannual almanac published by y the Oxford University U Preess for the University of Oxford O since 16 674. Stock: 49980
The U University of o London constituting c the most wonderful agggregation off institution ns to be found d anywhere in the World. To the Memory off the Foundeers and Benefactors of the noble C Colleges and d Schools of the University of London this t plate is gratefully and respecttfully dedicaated. 36.
Designed, Exxecuted & Pubblished by S. Gordon G Wilsoon. Copyright annd under the appproval of thee ViceChancellor. [[n.d., c.1923.] Etching. Sheeet 290 x 635m mm (11½ x 25 5"). Repaired tear at top, soome surface abbrasions in margins. £3220 22 vignette illlustrations off the buildingss and numerouus crests of the U University. Wilson publiished a book with w a similar title in 1923. Stock: 50664
37. Colleegi Corporiss Christie. D. Loggan deelin et Sculp cum c Privil S.R R.M. [Oxford,, c.1675] £2440 Engraving. 2295 x 390mm (11½ x 15¼")) Bird's-eye viiew of Wadham m College in Oxford, Somerset landdowners Nicho olas and founded by S Dorothy Waddham during the t reign of King K James I. Plate from D David Loggan'ss 'Oxonia illusstrata' (1675), a set of bird's-eeye views of all a University of Oxford buildings. Stock: 50066
40 0. Buy Au ustralian Suultanas. FC CH London. S.W.C. S 12 Issuued by the Em mpire Marketing M Boarrd. Printed forr H.M. Station nary Office by y Thos. Formaan & Sons, Noottingham. [n..d., c.1930.] Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 1990 x 125mm (7½ x 5''). £95 An A advert issueed by the Emppire Marketing g Board prromoting sultaanas producedd in Australia. The Empire Marketing M Boarrd was establiished in 1926 to encourage co onsumers in th he United Kinngdom to buy products from the Empirre. Designed bby Frederick C. C Herrick
(1887-1970) who is knownn for his Lond don Undergroundd and railway posters. Stock: 50247
3. Plan off the Freehoold Estate sittuated at 43 Earl's E Court in the Parissh of Kensin ngton. Frrom Lahee's Lithographic L PPress, No.30, Castle C St. Eaast, Oxford Sttreet. Sccarce letterpreess pamphlet w with plan, wattermark 1818.. Sh heet: 340 x 21 10mm (13¼ x 8¼''). Creasin ng and tears. Paart of the plan n detached. £230 A pamphlet dettailing the freeehold for housses and pu ublic houses in n Earls Court to be sold in lots at the Kings K Arms in Kensington oon July 11th 18 822. Stock: 50530
44 4. [Adverrt.] A Huntinng Frieze, by y Cecil Aldin. A In two o Coloured B Background ds-Brown an nd Gray. Th his Frieze coonsists of sev ven diifferent pan nels, each 5ftt. by 19½ in.. Price 3s. 6d d. per panell. Panels witthout design n in ground co olour- Brow wn and Grayy, 5 ft. by 19½ in., price 1..s each. Speccially Suiatbble for Billia ard Rooms, Sm moking Roo oms, Librariies, &c. [n n.d., c.1900.] Rare pamphlet with photograavure. Sheet: 155 x 280mm m (6 6 x 11''). Centrral fold, markiing £120 An A advert for a hunting seriees. With a stam mp 'Affiches Illlustrées Sagott 39 bis, R. dee Châteaudue Paris' P twice on n the front cov ver. Stock: 50577
41. Buy H Home Produ uced Cheesee. FCH Londonn. Crown Copyright Reserved. S.W.C. 199 Issued by thee Empire Markketing Board. Printed for H.M. Stationnary Office byy Thos. Formaan & Sons, Nottingham. [n.d., c.1930..] m (7½ x 5''). ££50 Chromolithograph. Sheet: 190 x 125mm mpire Marketiing Board An advert isssued by the Em British cheesse. The Empire Marketing Board B was established inn 1926 to encoourage consum mers in the United Kingddom to buy prroducts from the t Empire. Designed by Frederick C. Herrick (1887 7-1970) who iis d railway known for hiis London Undderground and posters. Stock: 50248
Obseervatory, Cliifton. Mr. West W begs most respecctfully to inform the Su ubscribers, Visitors, an nd the public generally, that the Observatorry is now op pen, and that it containss, for their usse, by day orr night, larg ge and powerful R Reflecting an nd Achroma atic Telescopes.... 42.
[n.d., c.1842.] 1 x 105mm Wood engravving and letterrpress, sheet 190 (7½ x 4¼"). £1220 Clifton Obseervatory is a foormer corn and snuff mill, bbut in 1777 the ssails were left turning during a gale and caused the eqquipment to caatch light. Aftter being derelict for 552 years, Williiam West rentted it from thee Society of M Merchant Ventuurers and instaalled a telescope andd a camera obbscura. Stock: 50589
45 5. [Mail Coach.] C Messsageries Fra ançaises. Lefer, L Gaillarrd, Pénicautt & C.e. Ru ue Montmatre, M 174. 1 A Pariss. Place de la a Comédie, 4.. A Bordeau ux. Gustave G Chario ol sc. [n.d., c.11840.] Leetterpress. Sheeet: 80 x 115m mm (3 x 4½''). £65 A handbill for a French mail coach from Paris P to Bordeaux. Illusstrated with ann engraving off a coach h drrawn by five horses. Stock: 49579
[Handb bill.] Patronnised by Herr Majesty, an nd The Duchess of Suthherland, M.C C. Pike. Begs B to inform m parties coollection Weeeds, Corallines, C &c. & that theyy can have th hem clleaned, prep pared, and aarranged, att No.18, Pool Valley, and a at No. 225, Queen's Road, R Brighton, B wh here also theey can be sup pplied with Sh hells (of whiich there is aan abundan nt choice), Sh hell Work, Flowers, F andd other Orn naments in grreat variety,, upon mostt moderate terms. t 46 6.
[n n.d., c.1850.] Rare letterpresss handbill. Sheeet: 180 x 110 0mm (7 x 4¼ ¼''). Creasing. £140 An A advert for a supplier of seea shells and decorative d sh hell ornamentss. Stock: 50401
Church C of En ngland, and agreeable to the Kirk off Scotland. As A Witness oour Hands at a Sp pringfield th his_Day of 1181_. Witness_.
[Advvert.] Gregorry's Stomacchic Powder.. Observe! '''Butler, Cheeapside.'' on n the Governmen nt Stamp. 47.
Whiting, Beaaufort House, Strand. Embossed caard. Sheet: 1200 x 155mm (4 4¾ x 6''). Damaged. An advert forr a medicinal powder.
Bank k of Love. 67579 6 to pay y to you on 67579 the eentire some of the suppllicant who sends this. 1868 Feb.y. 14. Templee of Hymen 114 Feb.y 1868. For the Goov.r and Com mpy:a of thee Bank of Loove. Cupid. 48.
[1868.] Sheet: 130 x 210mm 2 (5 x 8¼''), with Letterpress. S watermark. C Creased and toorn, damage along a creases. £2660 A comic bannk note producced for Valenttine's Day 18668. Stock: 50266
49. [Forgged Bank Note.] [1827.] mm (4¾ x 8'') . Letterpress bbanknote. Sheeet: 120 x 200m Damaged andd laid on albuum sheet. £2220 A damaged fforged note, accross the letterpress are several stampps stating 'Forrged'. Stock: 50313
[Receeipts.] Coalb brookdale_. Bought of Coalbrookd dale Comp.yy. 50.
Howe sc.t. B Birm.m. [n.d., c.1800.] Scarce letterppress with enggraving. Sheett: 60 x 200mm m (2¼ x 4¾''), ppart 18th centtury watermarrk. Creasing annd tears. £1990 mpany based att A part receippt for the iron smelting com Coalbrookdaale in Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire. S Stock: 50627
[Marrriage Certifficate.] Kin ngdom of Scotland, C County of Du umfries, Parrish of Gretna Greeen, 181_ Th hese are to certify c to alll whom theyy may concerrn that_from m the Parish h of_ and_froom the Parish of_ being g now both here presen nt, and having severally y declared too me that theey are singlee Persons- but now havee been marriied conform mable to the Laws L of the 51.
[n n.d., c.1815.] Leetterpress certtificate. Sheett: 155 x 190mm m (6 x 7½''). Laaid on album sheet. £190 A blank certificcate from the ffamous parish h of Gretna Green. G Gretna Green G was a ppopular destination for elloping coupless because it w was the first, eaasily reeachable town across the Sccottish border where marriage m laws were w much moore relaxed in n comparison to o England and Wales. Coupples just had to o find two witnesses w and did d not need pparental consen nt to marry. Sccotland also permitted 'irreggular marriagees' which alllowed almost anyone to con onduct a marriage if two witnesses w were present. Mannuscript on a scrap s below states 'Springfieeld Oct.r 11 1 820 David Laang Parish of Gretna G Green'. David Lang ((1792-1827) was w a famous 'B Blacksmith Priiest' who woulld conduct maarriages in Gretna G Green, he h was nephew w of Joseph Paisley P who was w the first of these priests. Lang was borrn in Laancashire and worked as a ppeddlar, he was captured by y a press gang g and forced too join the navy y. While at seea his ship was captured by John Paul Jon nes and he jo oined his crew w as a pirate buut when the sh hip neared the So olway Coast he h slipped oveerboard and sw wam to Gretna G Green. His H son Simonn Lang also beecame a 'B Blacksmith Priiest' but was fo forced to otherr jobs with th he decline in Gretna G Green m marriages afteer 1837. Stock: 50309
52 2. ''A Cocckney'' beinng John Min nsheu's Definition D fro om his Guidde into the Tongues T as pu ublished in London, 16227. 2631. A Cockney, ap pplied only to one born e within thee sound of Bow-Bell, B i. within w the C City of Londo on, which teerme came first f out of thhis tale:... Cha. Sigrist '48. [in pencil.] E Engraved in th he style of he original by Charles Sigrisst in London, 1948,- an th ed dition of 70 co opies only for sale; and pub blished by B.F. Stevens & Brown, L.td in the same ciity;-No. . m (8¼ x 7''), with w large Ettching. Plate: 210 x 175mm margins. m Surfacce dirt. £180 A letterpress deefinition of a 'ccockney', with h illustrations off a cockrell crowing, a younng boy with a catapult and th he belfrey of St. S Mary-le-Boow in Cheapsiide. Stock: 50391
The Geeography off History. Relative R Siituation of the t States annd Sovereign ns of Europe, E from m William thhe Conquero or to the prresent time;; containingg an easy and d certain method m of rea ading and sttudying History to ad dvantage. By Mr A. Le Sage. N.B. The T Readerr iss requested before b he coonsults the Map M to peeruse the Ex xplanations and Remarrks which acccompany itt. 53 3.
Prrinted by A. Paris, P Rolls'-buuildings, Fetteer-lane; and so old by A. Dulaau, 107, Warddour-street, J. de Boffe, Gerrard-street, G Soho; and J. B Boosey, Broad d-street, Royal Exchang ge.
Hand-coloured letterpress.. Sheet: 455 x 580mm (18 x ng. £2440 23''). Laid onn canvas, foxinng and creasin A chart explaaining the monnarchs, eventss, religions annd illustrious meen in Europeaan countries frrom the 1100ss to 1700s. Stock: 50115
Mary M Elizabeth h Chambers annd her husband Col. John Hickenbotham H Chambers weere great friends with and su upporters of th he Italian heroo Giuseppe Gaaribaldi, and haad turned Putn ney House intoo a museum dedicated d to hiim. On show were w letters, thhe flag Garibaaldi had caarried at Monttevideo and onne of his sworrds. Stock: 50080
54. [A paair of grotessque figures.] Lewis Markss Del. [n.d., c.1840.] Pair of hand--coloured etchhings. Sheet: 245 2 x 180mm (10 x 7''). Laaid on album sheets, s cocklin ng. £2330 nd a woman A pair of grootesque portraiits of a man an with huge, uggly heads. Porrtraits like theese, with unkinnd verses below w, were often given g as Valen ntines. Stock: 50465
[Guaarantee of Authenticity. A ] W.R. Howell & C Co. Fine Artt Publishers Bedford Row Cham mbers 42 Theeobalds Roa ad London W.C. Ref. No. Please Quote Q 8284.. 23/6/1908. Francis G. Ruffes Esq.. We hereby y guarantee that the Etcching purch hased by you u from us ass the work off, the signattures those of, o the Artistt whose nam mes they bearr. Copy No.127. W.R. Howell 7 C Co. 55.
[1908.] with etched heaader. Sheet: 30 05 x 210mm Rare letter w (12 x 8¼''). C Creases. £1440 A letter for 'W W.R. Howell & Co. Fine Art A Publishers',, with an etchiing by Scottishh painter, etch her and watercolourist, Robert Waalker Macbeth h RA (1848 1910). Stock: 50393
57 7. [Waterrcolour Charrt.] George Rowney & Co., C Manufaccturing Artiists' Colourm men and Pencil Makerrs. Awardedd Franco-Brritish Exhibition, E 1908, The Goold Medal and The Diploma D of Honour. H Geoo. Rowney & Co. are th he only Britiish Makers tto whom aw wards have beeen given fo or Artists' C Colours and Drawing D Pencils. Also at Paris Exhhibition, 190 00, The Gold G Medal. [n n.d., c.1910.] Leetterpress chart, with waterc rcolour samplees. Sheet: 305 x 205mm (12 x 8''). Foxing aand paper tonee. £140 Stock: 50469
58 8. The Ab bsent Mindeed Beggar by y Rudyard Kipling. K Thee whole procceeds for thee sale of th his poemwilll be devotedd by the ''Da aily Mail'' in n the name of o Rudyard Kipling, to the t benefit off the wives and a childrenn of the reservists. Copyright in En ngland and thee United Statees by the Daily D Mail Pub blishing Co., 11899. Leetterpress with h illustration. Sheet: 315 x 615mm (12¼ x 24¼''). Two central c folds, ddamage, foldss and staining. £95 A folded pamph hlet, supplemeent to the Daily Mail sold to o raise money for the Seconnd Boer War. The T poem was w set to musiic by Sir Athuur Sullivan. Th he text, a faacsimilie of Kiipling's own hhandwriting co ontains an illlustration by R. R Caton Wooodville called ''A gentlemann in n kharki''. See Ref: 32038 foor signed printt. Stock: 50311
59 9. [Song Sheet.] S Boom mps-a-Daisy y! A New Old-Fashione O ed Party Daance. Introd duced by Monsieur M Pieerre and Misss Doris Lav velle. Words W & Mu usic by Anneette Mills. Full deescription of steps on baack cover.
56. Amateur Perform mances. Forr the Relief oof Christian E Emigrants in n Greece. Tuesday, T April 4th, 11867, at the Residence of o Col. Chambers,, Putney Hou use, West Putney. [1867.] Letterpress ppamphlet with embossed edges. 4pp. 180 x 110mm (7 x 4") closed. Eddges top right frayed. £660 A playbill foor events held to raise money for the peopple f Greek indeependence from m caught up in the struggle for the Ottoman Empire.
Copyright in all Countries, M MCMXXXIX,, by ght Music Co. Ltd. Denmark St. London,, Laawrence Wrig W.C.2. W Phone: Temple Bar 22141/5. Cables ''Vocable Lo ondon''. Teleg grams ''Vocablle Westcent London''. L Prrinted in England. So ongsheet: 310 0 x 250mm (122 x 9¾''). Creaase, manuscript m ded dication. £35 A song-sheet fo or a popular da dance and song g written by En nglish songwrriter Lawrencee Wright (188 88-1964). Stock: 50312
Erin Go Bragh. Q Quadrille by Cha.s d'Albert. 60 0.
M. M &. N. Hanhart. [n.d., c.18840.] Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 3335 x 240mm (13¼ x 9½''). Trrimmed. £90
A song sheett for an irish melody. m The sccene shows figures upon Custom Housse Quay in Du ublin, with a boat named S Shamrock moored in the haarbour. Stock: 49943
Terryy O'Rann, & the Lassess of Derry, The Origin nal Irish Son ng Written by b Mr. Hudson, & Sung by him & Mr. Fitzwilliam. The Music by J. Blewittt. 61.
Richard Livesay worked withh Hogarth's widow w co opying and pu ublishing draw wings and engrravings by Hogarth. H The sccene shows puutti, one paintting, one en ngraving and two t looking uup the skirt of a manybrreasted figure.. Stock: 50242
Ent.d Stat. H Hall. Price 2/-. Publish'd by Tho.s T Hudsonn, 6. Museum S S.t Purday Hollborn Purday St. Pauls Church Yardd, & Monro & May Holborn n Bars &c. Songsheet w with etched illuustration, 4 sheeets. Sheet: 3660 x 260mm (144 x 10''), with very large maargins. Paper tone and surfface dirt. £1440 Songsheet foor a comic sonng about an Iriishman namedd Terry O'Rannn who enjoys drinking and the 'Lasses off Derry'. Stock: 50651
[Souvvenir Pamphlet.] Memeento Imprynted yn Ye. Oldee Streete of London Towne ye ggreate Attraaction yn. Yee. Health Exhibition,, South Kensyngton Anno Domini. 1884. atte yye Signe of Ye Y Leadenh halle Presse:: Maisters Fiield & Tuerr, Artistic & Olde-Style Printers & Publishers Ye Leadenh halle Presse 50 Leadenh hall Street, London, L E.C C. 62.
Woodcut pam mphlet. Sheet:: 270 x 210mm m (10½ x 8¼' '). Tears and daamage. Paper extremely briittle. £1220 A pamphlet w with a list of books, b jokes, and a adverts, rare because of the qualityy of the paper used. Stock: 50529
63. Proceession Pass Ticket. [n.d. c.1821.]] Engraving prrinted in colouurs with embo ossed pattern border. 216 x 171mm (8½ ½ x 6¾"). Tear into left of sheet, cornerrs snipped, som me soiling. £1660 A ticket to thhe coronation of George IV (1762-1830) held on 19 Juuly 1821 folloowing the deatth of his fatherr in 1820.0 Stock: 26559
[Dan nce Ticket.] Royal R London Yacht Club. Annu ual Ball. Wiillis's Roomss, Thursdayy, January 311st, 1861. 64.
Letterpress tiicket on emboossed card. Sh heet: 100 x 65mm (4 x 22½''). Markingg. £660 A ticket to a ball held by thhe Royal London Yacht Club, foundeed in 1838. Stock: 50296
Subscription Ticcket for the Harlots H Progress. 65.
W. Hogarth IInv.t. R.d Liveesay Fecit. Pu ublish'd April 23.d, 1782 R R.d Livesay at M.rs Hogarth hs Leicester Fields. 1 (5½ x Aquatint, priinted in sepia. Plate: 140 x 135mm 5¼''). Creasinng and markinng. Small margins £1880 A copy of Hoogarth's subsccription ticket to his series 'The Harlot's Progress' origginally printed d in 1731.
66 6. [Archittect's Tradeecard.] W. Brown. B Architect A & Surveyor, S Ippswich. W. W Brown inv. et delin. J. Roobinson sculp. [n.d., c.1790.] Ettching. Plate: 75 x 115mm ((3 x 4½''), witth very large margins. m £120 A tradecard forr an Ipswich ar architect and su urveyor sh howing a classsical ruin in a landscape. Stock: 50273
67 7. [Trade card of Johhn Claude Nattes] N Mr Nattes. N 49 South Molton Str. C.N. del. [Nattees?] W.Anguss. [n.d., c.1790 0.] ngraved trade card. Sheet 660 x 90mm (2¼ ¼ x 3½"). En £160 Trrade card of John Claude N Nattes (c.1765 - 1839) to opographical draughtsman, d ddrawing mastter and print deealer who liveed in South Moolton Street frrom c.1787 too 17 795. He exhib bited regularlyy at the Royal Academy from 1780 and, despite beingg a founding member, m was ex xpelled from the t Old Waterrcolour Society in 1807 for su ubmitting otheer artists' workks under his name. BM Trrade cards Ba anks,56.19. Stock: 50657
68 8. [Engra aver's trade card] G. Cla arke, Engraver E and d Printer, N No 15, Old Broad Sttreet, Royal Exchange. [n n.d., c.1797.] En ngraved trade card. 85 x 1225mm (3¼ x 5"). 5 Spotting. £160 Trrade card with h a monumentt to Woollett within w a to opographical caprice. c BM Tr Trade cards Ba anks,56.19. Stock: 50658
69 9. [Engra aver's trade card] Towes, Herald Engraver. E No o 6, St Ann'ss Lane, nearr Goldsmith's G Hall H Aldersggate. Bright Engraving E wiith elegancee. [n n.d., c.1797.] En ngraved trade card. 85 x 1225mm (3¼ x 5"). 5 Spotting. £230
Trade card of Christopher Towes (fl. 17 780-98) with a monument too Woollett witthin a topograaphical capricee. Another cardd in the BM addvertises 'Arm ms, Crests & Cyphers, on Stone, Steel & Silver. Steell Dies & Punches. A large choice of Gold Seals, Fancy work & Motto Rings; with immediiate dispatch. Strong ounted in Goldd. Likenesses inn miniature & elegantly mo English & Fooreign Bills off Exchange, Bills B of Parcelss, Cards, Book Plates &c. Enngraved; And Copper & Printing in genneral.' BM Tra ade cards Letter Press P Banks,59, 2112. Stock: 50659
[Trad de Card.] Grieve G & Oliv ver. Hat Manufactu urers to The Queen 18 Princes P Streeet. Edin.r. 70.
Very fine waatercolour draw wing. Sheet: 110 1 x 85mm (4¼ x 3¼''). T Trimmed. £2330 A monochrom me, watercoloour in the stylee of a tradecarrd for a hat mannufacturer in Edinburgh. E A portrait of Queen Victoria is set within an oval witth the company's naame set arounnd it, the portraait is flanked bby a lion and unnicorn. Stock: 50588
The B Book is to be sold by Ja ames Moetjens in n the Strand d. 71.
[n.d., c.1800.] mm (5¼ x 3¼ ¼"). Trimmed Engaving. Shheet 130 x 80m into image. £995 M a bo ookseller in Thhe The bookselller of James Moetjens, Strand c.1800, with an ovaal portrait of a man in classical dresss with the insscription 'Horaa Pius'. It is a reworkked plate, origginally with th he names of J. Groenewegenn and A. van der d Hoeck, c.1715. BM Heal,17.105 and Heal,17.559 for the orig ginal. Stock: 50079
th he shop while the other show ws an interior of the Montpellier M rotunda in Chelttenham. Stock: 50593
73 3. Venice & Murano Glass & Mo osaic Coy., Ld., L 30, St. Ja ames's Streeet, S.W. [M Mrs Gordon] iss invited to Inspect I a Coonsignment of o Venetian an nd Muranesse Glass, Coomprining Many M Choice C Exam mple, Suitablle for Christtmas and New N Year's Gifts, G Includding a Selecttion from th he Exhibits Prepared P Sppecially for the Turin Exhibition. E Lo ondon, Christmas, 1884. En ngraved invitaation card. 85 x 125mm (3½ ½ x 5"). Corners with slits. £75 he Venice & Murano M Glasss & Mosaic Co o (1872Th 19 919) evolved from f a workshhop set up by Antonio Saalviati (1816-9 90) for restoriing the mosaiccs of San Marco M in Venicce. From 18788 the company y started making m copies of ancient Rom oman and Early y Christian gllass, having diiscovered the old methods of o making go old-glass enab bling far greate ter accuracy th han in prrevious reprod ductions. Stock: 49785
[Funeral Invitationn.] Regina de d Papp na ata Contessa Abriani, ddà parte con n sommo co ordoglio della dolorosa perdita deell'amatissim mo suo Conssorte, S.E. Il I Tenente Maresciallo M Cav. C Franceesco Papp dee Vrakzna, pa assato agli eterni e riposii quest' oggi alle ore 2 po omeridiane,, dopo penossa malattia, nell' età di an nni 62, mun nito di tutti i SS. Sacram menti. La tu umulazione delle spogliee mortali seg giurà dopo do omani, Mercoledi 9 corrrente, alle ore o 3 po omeridiane.. La Vedovaa dolente, prregna di esssere dispen nsata da visitte di condog glianza. Trieste, T il di 7 Marzo 18336. 74 4.
[1 1836.] Sccarce letterpreess with decorrative border. 140 x 21 10mm (5½ x 8¼''). 8 £130 A funeral invitaation to the me memorial of Lieeutenant Marshall M Cav. Francesco F Pappp de Vrakznaa who died ag ged 62 after a hard illness. '''The burial is to be held on Wednesday W 9th h March 1836'''. The border is decorated with w symbols of death such aas hour glasses, skeletons, sccyths and urnss. Stock: 49578
[Trad decard.] Shiirer & MacD Dougall, Tailors, Drrapers, Hos[[...], Gloverss, Unde[...]keers. Imperiall Cir[us], Prromenade. Cheltenham m. The Mon ntpellier Rotunda, Cheltenham m. 72.
Eng.d on Steeel by G.P. Johhnson. 128, High H Street, Cheltenham. [n.d., c.1845..] Sheet: 60 x 90m mm (2¼ x 9½ ½''). Some losss. Engraving. S £445 A tradecard ffor a tailors annd haberdasheery based in Cheltenham. One side of the t card provid des details of
75 5. [A fash hionably-dreessed man.] H. H Gravelot dellin. L. Truchyy Sculp. Printeed for John Bowles at the Black B Horse inn Cornhill. Acccording to Act A of Parliameent 1744. Rare engraving g with etching.. 295 x 190mm m (11½ x 7½ ½"). £140 A gentleman standing full-len ength, slightly turned to the leeft, carrying hiis hat under hiis left arm, weearing a long wig, w a coat, waiistcoat, breechhes and stockiings. Plate 3 off a series of 'fiigures de moddes'. Stock: 50456
76. Costu umes Chinoois. No.8. Paris, Hauteccoeur frères, rue r Vivienne 41 4 et rue du Coq. 11. Pariis Lith de Goddard, Q. des Augustus, A 55. Fine hand-cooloured lithogrraph. Sheet: 430 4 x 300mm (17 x 11¾''), with large maargins. Markin ng. £1660 w in A portrait off two figures, a man and a woman, tume. Chinese costu Stock: 49901
77. Daniiel in the Lioons Den. Painted by Jaames Northcote Esq.r R.A. Engraved by W. Say, Engrraver to His R.H. R the Duke of Gloucesterr. London, Pubblished for the Proprietor, April A 1st 1813 and Sold by T T. Macdonaldd, 39 Fleet Street. A very fine impression of rare mezzotin nt. 655 x ¾ x 16½"), witth very large margins. m 420mm (25¾ Repaired tearrs in margins. £5880 The prophet Daniel surrouunded by snarlling lions. Ex nox Boyd Collection off the Hon. Chrristopher Lenn Stock: 49972
[Mad donna and Child.] C Illusstrissimo Marchioni Vincention Iustinano. 78.
L. Carratius ppinxit. Cornelli Bloemaert sculpsit s et D.D D. Cum privil: S S.C.M.tis et Regis R Christ.m mi. Romae Superioru liccentia. [n.d., c.1630.] Engraving, 17th century watermark. w Plaate: 295 x ½ x 8½''). Smaall margins. 215mm (11½ £2660 A biblical scene showing Madonna M and Christ sittingg in a landscape, the enfant Chhrist cuddles a lamb. Stock: 50379
79. [The Presentatioon in the Tem mple.] Illustrissim mo & Eruditio Viro Carlo Frederick k Armigero, liberalium Artium A Patrrono, Pauli Cagliari prraeclarum hoc h Opus in Ligno L coelatum, iin grati anim mi argumenttum humiliter D D.D.D. J.B. Jackson.. [1745.] Chiaroscuro woodcut, veryy fine impresssion. Sheet: 5555 x 385mm (222 x 15¼''). Cenntral crease, trrimmed. £2880 A biblical scene showing the t presentatio on of the enfan ant dcut from Johnn Jesus at the ttemple. A chiaaroscuro wood Baptist Jacksson's series off twenty-four large l woodcutts in a series caalled 'Titiani Vecelii, V Pauli Caliarii, C Jacobbi Robusti, et Jaacobi de Ponte, opera selectiora a Joannee Baptista Jackkson Anglo, liigno cœlata, ett coloribus adumbrata' ppublished by Giovanni G Battiista in 1745. Stock: 50569
The S Shooting of Admiral By yng on board d the Monarq que. London n Mag. 80.
[n.d., c.1757.] 5 x 8''). Rare engraviing. Sheet: 1300 x 205mm (5 Trimmed. £1660 on of Admiral A historical sscene showingg the executio John Byng (11704-1757) onn board the Monarque. M Bynng was court-maartialled for faailing to reliev ve the naval base, Fort St Philip, at Minnorca from thee French. Stock: 50377
81 1. Cromw well at Marst ston Moor, who w made a deesperate Ch harge after bbeing wound ded in his riight Arm. Engraved E froom the Orig ginal Picture in thee Collection of Robert Franland F Esq.r E M.P. to o whom this Plate is resp pectfully deedicated by his oblidgess Servants, A. A Cooper & J. Bromley y. A Cooper Esq.rr R.A. Pinx.t. John Bromley y Sculp.t. Pu ublished for th he Painter andd Engraver by W.B. Cooke,, 9 Soho Square. Feb.y 1st 18226. Mezzotint. M Sheet 235 x 265m mm (9¼ x 10½ ½"). Trimmed in nto image on th hree sides, intto inscription area at bo ottom; small repaired r hole iin sky. £130 Th he original paainting by Abrraham Cooperr (1787-1868) is now in Chequ uers Court, hoome of the Priime Minister, n one of the larrgest collectioons of art and memorabilia in peertaining to Oliver Cromweell in the coun ntry. Ex: Collection C of th he Hon. Christtopher Lennoxx-Boyd. Stock: 48997
The atttempt to Asssassinate thee King. On th he second off August 17886, Margareet Nicholson, N un nder the preetence of preesenting a Petition, attem mpted to staab his Majesty as he was w alighting g from his C Chariot at the garden en ntrance to St S James's Paalace... 82 2.
Paainted by Rob b.t Smirke. Aqquatinta by F. Jukes. En ngraved by Ro ob.t Pollard. L London, Publiish'd Oct.r 9, 17 786 by R. Polllard, Engraverr. No 7, Bray yne's Row, Sp pa Fields. Rare aquatint. 450 4 x 560mm m (17¾ x 22"). Trimmed to £260 pllate, repaired tears. t Margaret M Nicho olson (c. 17500-1828) attemp pted to stab George G III with h an ivory-hanndled dessert knife. k Clearly deelusional (she claimed to bee rightful heir to the throne an nd to be the mother m of both Lords Mansfi field and Lo oughborough,, who were muuch older than n her), she sp pent the rest of her life in Beethlem Royal Hospital (B Bedlam). Th his plate was published p justt two months after the ev vent. Stock: 49968
83. [The Grand Jubilee Celebra ations in Lon ndon's Park ks.] View off the Bridge and Pagoda a, from the Canal, St JJames's Park k.[&] The Chinese C Pagooda and Brid dge in St James's Park (previous to ot he Fire.) [&] The Foortress (whiich inclosed the Grand P Pavillion.) in the Green n Park; withh the ascent of o the Balloon. [& &] The Gran nd Pavillion n in Green P Park. [&] Th he View in Hyde H Park, w with the Fleet at Anchor, on n the Serpen ntine River. [&] The Jub bilee Naval Action A on th he Serpentinne in Comm memoration of the Battlle of the Nilee. [&] The Action A betweeen the British & Amerrican Frigatees on the Serpentine, Hyde Park k, 1st Augustt, 1814. [&] Scene on th he Serpentine, Hyde Parrk, on the Niight of the Grand G Jubilee, Au ug.t 1. 1814. Published Auug.t 12 [& 24tth], 1814, by Tho. T Palser, S Surry Side, Weest.r Bridge. Eight etchinggs with hand colour. c Scare & interesting set of prints. Each c. 245 x 345mm (9¾ x 13½"). Eacch plate trimmed to pplate top and bottom. b £2500 On 1st Auguust 1814 a series of events celebrating botth the end of the t Napoleonic Wars and thhe centenary of o Hanoveriann rule in Englaand. In St James's Park a Ch hinese bridge w with a pagodaa was built oveer the lake; inn Green Park a revolving Temple of Concord was coonstructed by Sir William C Congreve (of rocket r fame); and in Hyde PPark naval battles with ns, a miniature friggates were fouught (the 'Nilee' and 'Trafalggar' against thee French and a third againstt the American reminder thaat Britain was still fighting the t War of 18 12). The battles were succeessful events: hhowever the pagoda p in St a and th he balloon asccent, by Jamess Sadler James's Parkk was set alighht by fireworkss, killing one aand injuring another; (1753-1828, the first Engliish balloonist)) did not go ass planned and d he had to make an emergenncy landing. Stock: 49810
84. Execution of Joh hn Hamilton n Esq.r by th he Machone ccalled The Maiden, M at Edinburgh. Engraved ffor The Mallefactors Register. Wale delin. P Page Sculp. [nn.d., c.1780.] Engraving. S Sheet: 190 x 1225mm (7½ x 5''). Trimmedd £995 wing an early execution by guillotine for A scene show murder of Joohn Hamilton in i 1716. Ham milton murdereed his friend Arrkle after a druunken argument. Stock: 49952
Ladyy Sale and her Daughterr's First Interview w with Generaal Sale Afterr Their Captivity. From an Au uthentic Skeetch by an Officer Tak ken at the Time T Representing the Joyful Meeeting of the Heroic H Lady y Sale Mrs Sturt Her D Daughter an nd the Otherr Cabul Prisoner s w with Generaal Sale and His H Brigadee at Takhan Near Cabull 20th Sept Attended A byy Saleh Mahoommed Khaan and Otheer Faithful Afghans. 85.
Drawn on Stone by Richarrd Eran Sly 40 0 Upper Euston Sq.re. Published by Blackwood & Seymour St E Page 154 Strrand May 27thh 1843. Printed by W. Kohller. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 2220 x 285mm (8 8¾ x 11¼''). Repaired tearr. £1440 A historical sscene showingg the release of o women including Floorentia Sale annd her daughter Alexandrinna Sturt after ninne months cappture. Generall Robert Sale was commannder of the Briitish forces at Jalalabad during the 1sst Afghan Warr. In 1842 Afg ghan commander A Akbar Khan captured c a group of British women, childdren and soldiiers after the massacre m of Khurd Karbuul Pass. As weell as Mrs Salee's daughter heer son-in-law L Lt. John Sturt was w captured; however he had been wouunded and dieed in captivity y.
8. Ainsy Par P Le Vertuu S'Elevent les Heros. 88 Siic Virtus Ev vehit Ardenss. Car. le Brun pin nxit. I. Audrann. Asservata in Piinacotheca Reegiâ, 16. pedess alta et 21. p. et 5.poll. laata. [n.d., c.167 75.] En ngraving, rich h impression. PPlate: 285 x 360mm (11¼ x 14¼''). Small margins. Sm mall repaired teear in title leeft. £240 A classical scen ne showing Al Alexander the Great's G en ntrance into Babylon. From m a series of pllates after Charles le Brun n's 'Battles of A Alexander'. Stock: 49663
89 9. Il Est D'un D Roy dee se Vaincre Soy Mesme M Sui Victoria V Indiicat Regem. Car. le Brun pin nxit. Audran eexcudit. Se veend a Paris hez B. et I. Au udran rue et faaubourg S.t Jaaque vis a vis ch laa rue S.t Dominique. [n.d., cc.1675.] En ngraving, rich h impression. PPlate: 285 x 360mm (11¼ x 14¼''). Small margins. Sm mall repaired teear in title leeft. £240 A classical scen ne showing Al Alexander the Great G and Hephaeston H beiing greeted byy the Queens of o Persia ou utside Darius'ss tent. From a series of plattes after Charles le Brun n's 'Battles of A Alexander'. Stock: 49662
A Maan Publicklyy Whipped in i the Sessions Hoouse Yard in n the Old Ba ailey. 86.
[n.d., c.1780.] Engraving. 180 x 120mm (7 x 4¾"). Stiitch maps on £665 left, trimmedd into plate onn right. A public whiipping. Stock: 49985
The F Funeral Carr of the Duk ke of Wellington n Arriving att S.t Pauls Cathedral, C Nov.r 18.th h 1852. 87.
E. Walker, del. et lith. Dayy & Son, Lith..rs to The y & Son, 17 Queen. Londdon, Pub.d Noov.r 22 by Day Gate St. Lincc. Inn F.ds, & Ackermann, & Co. 96 Strand. ¼x Hand-coloured lithograph.. Sheet: 315 x 450mm (12¼ £1660 17¾''). Very slight foxing.. wing the funeraal procession of Arthur A view show Wellesley, 1sst Duke of Weellington (176 69-1852) arrriving in ffront of St. Pauuls Cathedral.. Stock: 50650
90 0. Aurora a. To the R.tt Hon.ble Lo ord Nisc.t Mount M Stuart Baron Carrdiff this pla ate is deedicated. Pa ainted in a C Ceiling of the Rospigliosi R Palace at Rom me. Here th he Gay Morn M residess in radiant B Bow'rs... Guido G pinx. W.. Baillie sculpp.t. Publish'd 14.th 1 Sept.r 17 785. Rare stipple. Sh heet: 220 x 2990mm (8¾ x 11½''). 1 £160 A depiction of Guido Reni's painted ceilin ng in the Casino dell'Aurrora in the Pallazzo Pallavin nci-Rospiglio n Rome. The classical c scenee shows Apolllo driving his in ch hariot, precedeed by the figuure of Dawn. Ex: E The Hon. Christopher C Lennox-Boyd Stock: 49885
Filial Piety. P Dediccated to his Excellency E Count C Dezbodko Privy C Councillor of o her Im mperial Majjesty the Em mpress of thee Russias &c. & &c. 91 1.
Frrom a beautifu ul Copy in Craayons by S dee Koster, afterr th he Original by Hereyns of M Meddin, in the Possession off I. Thiorais Esq.r. Engravedd by James Daniell.
London, Pubblished May 233rd 1796 by J. J Brydon at hiis Print & Lookking Glass Waarehouse, Chaaring Cross. Mezzotint. 665 x 510mm (16¼ ( x 20"). Repaired tearrs £4880 in borders. us Maximus A story told bby Roman hisstorian Valeriu (c.AD 50): C Cimon, sentencced to stave to o death in prison, is succkled by his daaughter Pero. The judges, when hearingg of this act off filial piety, pardoned p Cimon. Ex C Collection of thhe Hon. Chrisstopher Lennox ox Boyd. Stock: 49974
92. [The Departure of Hector.] [Francesco B Bartolozzi afteer Cipriani.] [n n.d., c.1786.] Stipple, prooof before letterrs, printed in sepia. s Plate: 4335 x 330mm (177 x 13''), with large marginss. £2660 A classical sccene showingg Hector deparrting to fight inn the Trojan W War, Hector is shown carryin ng his young son while hiss wife Androm mache pulls att his cape. De Vesma 424. Stock: 50413
93. [Infaant Bacchus..] Etch'd by F. Bartolozzi 1796. mm (5 x 4''), with w very largee Etching. Platte: 130 x 100m margins. Marrking. £1440 A scene show wing the infannt bacchus sitting upon a barrel with a glass and flassk of wine in either e hand. D De Vesme 372.I..
97 7. Miracu ulous Escapee of S.r Broo ok Watson. [& &] Extraord dinary Voraacity of an Alligator. A [n n.d., c.1820.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 130m mm (8¼ x 5'')). £90 Tw wo scenes sho owing men beeing rescued frrom animal atttacks. The top p scene showss the rescue off Sir Brook Watson W (1735-1807) from a shark in Havaana Harbour ass a 14 year old d boy. The sceene was painteed by John Siingleton Copley and exhibitted at the Roy yal Academy in n 1778 where it caused a seensation. The second s image sh hows an man being b pulled oonto a boat aftter being atttacked by an alligator. Stock: 49584
98 8. Le Bosquet de Baccchus. Bacchi Nemus. Watteau W pinx. C.N. C Cochin ssculp. a Paris Chez C F. Chereau graveu ur du Roy, ruëë St. Jacques aux a deux piilliers d'Or. [n.d., c.1725.] En ngraving. Platte: 340 x 420m mm (13¼ x 16 6½''). Small margins. m £260 A decorative sccene in a gardeen showing men m and women w at leisure playing muusic around a fountain f and po ond. From 'L'O Oeuvre d'Antooine Watteau Peintre du Roy Recueil Ju ullienne'. Stock: 50600
94. Bozzzaris Tod. Stich u Druckk d. W. Pobudda. [n.d., c.182 25.] Engraving. S Sheet: 155 x 230mm (6 x 8¾ ¾''). Slight foxing. £665 wing Greek heero of the Greek A scene show Independencce, Markos Bootsaris (1788-1 1823) fightingg Ottomans. against the O Stock: 49899
The E Execution of Louisa Ma abree the French Mid dwife. 95.
[n.d., c.1820.] Sheet: 210 x 130mm (8¼ x 5''). £1220 Engraving. S A scene show wing a womann being suspen nded over a firre in a cage filleed with cats. There T was a su uperstition in Europe of thee potential thaat midwives co ould perform witchcraft, esspecially as chhildbirth was mostly supervised byy women untiil the professio onalisation off the medical pprofession. Stock: 49589
99 9. Victoriia preparingg for the Balll. J. Roberts delin n.t. J. Jones Feecit. [n.d., c.17 791.] m (8¼ x 4¾''). Cut to Sttipple. Sheet: 210 x 120mm pllatemark £65 A scene showin ng a young wooman dressing g for a ball. Frrontispiece to 'The Ramblerr' 1791. Stock: 50297
Edwiin and Angeelina. Turn gentle Hermit of tthe dale_ 96.
C. Taylor exccudit. Londonn, Publish'd Feeb.y 1: 1787, bby C. Taylor Noo.10 near Casttle Street, Holborn. Stipple. Platee: 185 x 140m mm (7¼ x 5½''). £550 A scene show wing a young woman standing pensivelyy while leaningg on a rake. Stock: 50303
10 00. The Be enevolent Caardinal. Paainted by R. Westall. W Engraaved by W. Ward. W London Pu ublished Ap.r 14 1792 by J..R. Smith No 31. King Sttreet, Covent Garden. G Rare mezzotint. 590 x 660mm m (23¼ x 26""), with large margins. m Tears in inscriptionn area. £360 A woman plead ding her case bbefore a cardiinal. Ex Collection C of th he Hon. Christtopher Lennoxx Boyd. Stock: 49976
05. Emma.. She reach''d with trem mbling step, 10 Her H aged Mo other's door,, He's gone! she cry'd;. S.. Shelley pinx.t. C. Taylor ssculp.t. Londo on, Publish'd Dec.r D 1;st 1788, by C. Taylorr No.10 near Castle C Street, Holborn. H Sttipple. Plate: 185 1 x 140mm m (7¼ x 5½''), with w very laarge margins. £60 A scene showin ng a young wooman entering g a door. Stock: 50299
10 06. Emma''s Favouritee. W. W Thomas Esq q.r Pinx.t. H. D Dawe Sculp.t. Published fo or the proprietor by T. Bird,, 40, Wigmoree St.t May 1..st 1830. Mezzotint. M Sheet: 170 x 125m mm (6¾ x 5'')). Trimmed. £65 An A interior scen ne showing a yyoung girl ho olding a kitten while w sitting on n her mother's lap. Stock: 50287
101. L'Oeeillet. Héloise Lelooir pinx.t. Regnnier & Brittan nnier lith. Impp. Lith. Formenntin & Co. Parris, Victor Dellarue & C.ie Editeurs, Plaace du Louvre,, 10. Et chez Genix G & C.ie, Rue Montmoorency, 27. Beerlin, bei Gebrruder Rocca Leipzig, bei G Gebruder Roccca. Tinted lithoggraph with finee hand-colourr. Sheet: 440 x 300mm (17¼ ¼ x 11¾''), witth large margiins. £990 A interior sceene in which two t young wo omen look at a carnation pullled from a boouquet on the ground.
10 07. Flavia. On her raiis'd arm rec clined her Drooping D hea ad. S.. Shelley pinx.t. C. Taylor ssculp.t. Londo on, Publish'd May M 1;st 1787, by C. Taylor No.10 near Castle C Street, Holborn. H Sttipple. Plate: 185 1 x 140mm m (7¼ x 5½''), with w large margins. m £50 A scene showin ng a young wooman by her bed b at niightime. Stock: 50300
102. [12 V Vignettes Showing Daily y Life.] Published 122.th May. 17944 by Laurie & Whittle, 53 Fleet Street, London. 5mm (6¾ x Bound set off six plates. Plate: 170 x 135 5¼''). Time sstaining. £1880 A set of six pplates showingg twelve vigneettes of sceness of daily life iincluding figuures picking ap pples, makingg wine, fishingg and conversiing. Stock: 50633
103. Un D Duel._The Duel. Printed by R. Martin, 124,, High Holborrn. London, S Alley, Cornhill, Published byy S. Knights, Sweetings March, 1829. Scarce lithoggraph. J. Whattman 1829 waatermark. Platte: 250 x 290mm m (9¾ x 11½'''). Staining. £1330 A scene show wing the afterm math of a duel, one man liees injured on thhe ground, surrrounded by friends while thhe victor is usheered away by another man. Stock: 49947
104. Ella. I come, dea ar companio on, in grief! Gay sceness and fond pleasures p adiieu._ S. Shelley pinx.t. W. Nutteer sculp.t. Lon ndon, Publish''d Jan.y 1; 17899, by C. Tayloor No.10 near Castle Street, Holborn. mm (7¼ x 5½''), with large Stipple. Platee: 185 x 140m £445 margins. wing a young woman jumpiing into a lakee. A scene show A scene from m the poem 'Colin and Lucy y'. Stock: 50301
John Howard H Esq.. Visiting an nd Relievingg th he Miseries of o a Prison. 10 08.
Paainted by F. Wheatley. W Enggraved by Ja.s Hogg. T. Siimpson Excud d.t. Publish.d A April 9 1790 by b Thomas Siimpson St. Pauls Church Ya Yard, and Darliing & Th hompson G.t. Newport Str.tt London. Ettching with en ngraving. 480 x 600mm (19 9 x 23½"). Trrimmed to plaate, damage too left corners. Toned. £350 A visit of John Howard (17226-90) to a prisson, illlustrating the conditions he attempted to alleviate, with w a poor fam mily, includingg a breast-feed ding mother an nd a dying old d man. Howard H was ap ppointed Highh Sheriff of Beedfordshire in 17 773 and, takin ng his role seriiously instead d of as a sinecure, inspeccted the countty prison himsself. He was o shocked thatt he spent the rrest of his lifee so caampaigning fo or prison reforrm. His 'The State S of the Prrisons' was pu ublished in 17777. He travelled all over Eu urope and died in Ukraine, where he wass buried. A statue was erected in St Paul''s Cathedral, London, L the firrst for a civilian. Originally O publlished by Simppson & Hogg, this is a laater state with a new publishhers, Darling & Thompson (ffl. 1775-98). Ex E Collection oof the Hon. Ch hristopher Leennox Boyd Stock: 49983
All iss the gift of Industry; I what e'er Delightful E Exalts, embellishes, and d renders liffe. Thomson. 109.
W. Green Deelin. J. Allen sculpt. s Pub.d by b Josiah Alleen Colmore Row w, Birmingham m. Engraving. 110 x 190mm (4¼ x 7½''). Marking M and mmed to plate.. staining, trim £770 A view on a quay showingg two men tak king stock of barrels and bboxes. Stock: 50015
[Le L Lever Hollan ndois. Ce petit chien dansant qu ui distrait la soubrette, Dequel D qu'amant lléger, ou d'u un mary bén net / Philis, seroit-il le p portrait Que vous menéés à la baguette.] 110.
]F. Mieris Pinx. F. Basan sc.] s [à Dresde chez P. Resleer Estampes de la l Cour.] Marchand d'E Engraving, pproof before alll letters. 345 x 240mm (13 ¾ x 9½"). £2880 he middle of hher A Dutch ladyy at her toilet, standing in th bedroom, weearing a nightccap and fur-triimmed jacket,, stretching heer hand out tow wards her lap--dog, which iss standing on iits hind legs. Plate 18 from m 'Recueil d'esstampes gravéées d'après less tableaux de lla galerie de S. S E. M. le Com mte de Brühl',, a pair to 'le déjjeuner hollanddois'. The orig ginal painting, from c.1660,, is in the Herm mitage.
Rare lithograph h. Sheet: 255 x 180mm (10 x 7''). Trrimmed. £140 A scene in fron nt of a fire in w which several figures in ncluding a blacck man crowdd around a wounded sm muggler, sittin ng in a chair. Stock: 50029
Lecture Espagnolee. Dessiné ett Gravé parr J.. Beauvarlett Graveur duu Roy, d'après le Tableau T pein nt par Carle Vanloo Cheevalier de Lordre L du Ro oy et son preemier Peintre. 11 15.
A Paris chez l'A Auteur, rue duu Petit Bourbo on attenant la Fo oure St. Germ main. [n.d., c.1 730.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 590 x 420m ¼''). mm (23 x 16¼ Trrimmed, repaiired tears and tears in edgess £260 A scene showin ng a group of five people siitting in a laandscape, threee women listeen to a man reading from a bo ook and a little girl plays wi with a bird attacched to a string. Stock: 50603
111. Quis vetet appossito, lumen de d lumine tolli, Mille licet capiant, deperit in nde nihil. Pet. Paul. Ruubenius inveniit et excud. Cu um Privilegiiss Regis christiaanissimi serennissimae infan ntis et ordinum m confederat. [19th century impression.] i Collector's marrk top left. Pllate: 250 x Engraving. C 195mm (10 x 7¾''). Trimm med to plate on n lower edge. Small marginns on 3 sides. £2660 A scene show wing an old woman w lighting g the candle off a young boy. Stock: 49950
Sparab bella. Pensivve and forlo orn, Lean'd on n her rake. 11 16.
As Ph hoebus to th he world, is science to th he Soul. Beatttie. 112.
W. Green Deelin. J. Allen sculpt. s Pub.d by b Josiah Alleen Colmore Row w, Birmingham m. Engraving. 110 x 190mm (4¼ x 7½''). Marking M and margins, trimm med to plate. staining in m £770 An interior scene showingg a man studyiing maps and with a line by poet p James Beeattie. and globe, w
S.. Shelley pinx.t. W. Nutter ssculp.t. Londo on, Publish'd Jaan.y 1; 1789, by b C. Taylor N No.10 near Caastle Street, Holborn. H Sttipple. Plate: 185 1 x 140mm m (7¼ x 5½''), with w large margins. m £45 A scene showin ng a young wooman standing g pensively while w leaning on o a rake.
113. [Man n Shaving.] D.V. Del.t. 1788. B.N. Scuulp.t. 1788. [1788.] Bit lateer. mm (7 x 4½''),, with very larrge Etching. Platte: 175 x 115m margins. Creeasing. £995 A scene show wing a man shhaving himselff before a largge meeting.
11 17. Der Frühling. Verr. Watteau W pinxit. Iohan. Frid: PProbst, Haereed Ier. Wolffy, W excud. Aug. vind. [nn.d., c.1730.] En ngraving. Platte: 355 x 400m mm (14 x 15¾ ¾''). Central crrease. Small repaired r tears in margins. £380 A musical scen ne showing a ggroup of wom men on a deecorated jetty,, one playing a musical insttrument and on ne lady on a boat similar, annother group sit s in an orrnate barge. Title in Germann and Latin.
114. The W Wounded Smuggler. Madeley lith. Pub.d by J. Williams, W 129 9, Strand. [n.d.., c.1835.]
118. Der S Sommer. Æstas. Æ Watteau pinxxit. Iohan. Fridd: Probst, Haeered Ier. Wolffy, excuud. Aug. vind.. [n.d., c.1730.] Engraving. P Plate: 355 x 4000mm (14 x 15¾''), with large marginns. Creasing. Slight S central crease. £2990 wing men andd women at leiisure in a gardden A scene show with a large ffountain, som me row in boatss and some plaay music. Stock: 50601
119. Thea atrical Attraactions. Drawn by A..S. Henning. Engraved E by J.W. J Huffam. Printed by Brrooker & Harrrison. London n: Oct.r 20th. S S. Hollyer, 21 JJohn Street, Peentonville. Scarce mezzootint, proof. Plate: P 460 x 34 40mm (18 x 13¼''). Smalll margins. £2660 A portrait off two pretty yooung women in n an ornate theatre box. Stock: 50137
Goin ng to Markett. [&] An Unequal U Match. Wh hen England d's foes her follies f view, Each day eeach hour sh hows someth hing news Bu ut let them tryy in arms th heir skill; An nd England-is Old Englland still. 120.
Whitchurch: Sold by J. Waalford, Printerr, Bookseller, usical Bookbinder, Stationer, andd dealer in Mu t most liberaal Instruments__N.B. Schoolss supplied on the terms. [n.d., c.1835.] mm Two rare woodcut writingg sheets. Sheett: 200 x 330mm £1330 (8 x 13''). w patientlyy, A pair of woodcuts, on thee left a horse waits ht a boxer hitched up too a covered caart. On the righ attempts to fi fight an armedd soldier. Stock: 49892
A Meessire Philip ppe de Cubieers, de Grimoard, de Pestels, de Levy, Co omte de Caylus, Coonseiller né d'honneur d au a Parlem.t d de Toulouse, ccy devant Coolonel d'un Regim.t de Dragons p par son tres humble h et trres obeissan nt Serviteur S S.h. Thomasssin fils 1725 5. 121.
Vateau pin. T Thomassin sc.. chez Thomasssin rue Vivienne à laa Biblioteque du Roy. Engraving. P Plate: 410 x 2775mm (16 x 11''). Small £2660 margins. A scene in a garden showiing a group off young men o wearing a and women sseated in frontt of a statue, one mask. Stock: 50599
Dresssing the You ung Squire_ _who is Obstropoloous. The fin ne cambric cap c on his head try'd to place, An nd keep his fat f fingers from tearin ng the lace. 122.
Published May 1821, by Tho.s T McLean n, Hay Market . P 170 x 23 30mm (6¾ x Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate: £665 9''). Markingg and staining. Small margiins. A scene in a nursery show wing three wom men trying to dress a wrigggly baby. Stock: 50295
12 23. The Affrican Princee. Paainted by H. Meyer. M Engravved by R. Hicks. Fisher, So on & Co. Lon ndon, 1844. £65 En ngraving. Platte: 230 x 145m mm (9 x 5¾''). A scene showin ng a young Affrican prince embracing e a yo oung woman, holding a boook. Stock: 49953
A Scene in Cymbelline. Belariius: Stay go no ot in. But th hat it eats ouur Victuals I Should th hink it were a fairy. videe. Shakespear Act 3d Sccene 4th. 12 24.
Paainted by Edw w.d Penny R.A A. professor off Painting to th he Royal Acad demy. Engravv'd by J.s Walk ker. Publish'd Jaan.y 10th 1783 3 by Ja.s Walkker No 49 upp per Mary le Bone Street. Mezzotint. M 505 x 550mm (200 x 21"). Faintt crease. £390 Belarius, along with his adoppted sons Poly ydore and Cadwal (in factt the Romano--British princees Guiderius nd Arviragus), find their sisster Imogen, in n disquise as an 'F Fidele', in theirr hut. Stock: 50087
12 25. Saladin n & the Knigght of the Leopard. H.F.W. H inv. & del. [n.d., c.18830.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 265 x 3555mm (10½ x 14''), 1 watermark w J. Whatman W 18200, with very laarge margins. Bit messy. £95 An A illustration from Sir Waltter Scott's nov vel 'The Taalisman' which features Dav avid of Scotlan nd, 8th Earl off Huntingdon (1144-1219). In the novel Sir S David taakes part in thee 3rd crusade under the aliaas Sir Kenneth K of the Couchant Leoopard. Stock: 50596
A scene from Ovid's O retellingg of the Greek k myth, ev ventually publlished May 7th th. 1797. Ex co ollection of th he Hon Christo opher Lennoxx Boyd. Stock: 49982
R. Crrusoe Escap ping from Ca ambodia enters a Poort in the Noorth part of China. Vol.. II. p.207. 126.
[London: T. Woodward, 1736.] Sheet 100 x 1665mm (4 x 6½ ½"). Trimmed. Engraving. S £990 A off From 'The Liife and Strangge Surprising Adventures Robinson Crrusoe... Written by Himself.. The Eighth Edition, Adoorn'd with Cuts'. This was the first illustrated eddition, albeit with w only sixilllustrations in volume II. Stock: 49622
127. Amantium Iræ. The Quarre el of Cupid and Psychee. Engraved d by Cap.t Baillie B from a most beauttiful Cabinett Picture of Nicolo Pousin in th he Collectioon of Wellbo ore Ellis Agaar Esq.r. Jan.y 1. 17788. Stipple and ssoft-ground etching with surrface-tone, printed in collours. 245 x 215mm 2 (9¾ x 8½"), large margins. Datte weakly inkeed. £3660 A group of cherubs, two embracing, onee holding a fruit, others bbehind catchinng butterflies, another leaniing over a baskett of fruit. Etched by Caaptain William m Baillie (172 23-1810). Having retireed from the arrmy in 1761 he devoted himself to prrintmaking andd dealing, speecialising in imitating oldd-master drawiings and printts, using a variety of priintmaking techhniques. Ex: collection c of th the Hon. Christoopher Lennox Boyd. Stock: 49607
128. [The Death of Hippolytus.] [To His Grace the D Duke of Bed dford, this print of Hippolitus,, Engraved from f a capittal cabinet picture, by / P. P. Rubeens now in his h Graces collection ((late in the possession p off Mr. Bryan n.) is with perm mission ded dicated by hiis Graces much obligged & most obedient o serrvant. B. B. Evans.] P.P. Rubens pinx. R. Earloom Aqua.t. Pu ublish'd Marchh 10th 1796 byy B.B. Evans. Stipple, scarcce unfinished proof before mezzotint. m Sheet 460 x 6620mm )18 x 24½"). Edgess worn, tear inn sky taped. £2660 A sea monsteer, a bull withh fins and a fissh tail, causes Hippolytus too be thrown frrom his chario ot and be dragged to hiis death.
12 29. Childre en feeding C Chickens. [aafter John Russell.] Philadellphia, Publish h'd by Frreeman & Co:: at their Manuufactory & Sttore No 68 North N 3.d St. Seept.r 1st 17966. Sttipple with hand colour, scaarce. 345 x 36 65mm (13½ x 14 4½''). Trimmeed into plate att bottom, repaaired tears, laaid on card. £480 A rare Americaan print, a coppy of a rustic genre g scene en ngraved by Peeltro William T Tompins afterr John Russell. showin ng two childreen feeding and d playing with w chickens. Liittle is known about the pubblishers, but Princeton P University U Librrary has a 17997 auction salee catalogue: 'O On Saturday ev vening the 22dd instant, will be sold by au uction, in the city c of Philadeelphia, at the store s of Frreeman & Co.. No. 68. Nortth Third Street. A large andd vaaluable collecttion of prints and paintings. Looking gllasses, girondo oles, chimneyy pieces, comp position orrnaments, artifficial stone, & &c. &c. A cataalogue of the prrints and painttings will be pprinted and maay be had at th he said store before the day of sale; wheree the articles mayalso m be seen. The sales too commence at a 7 o'clock. / William W Shannon, auctioneerr. Notes, bills, drafts and bo onds of Messrrs. Morris andd Nicholson orr either of th hem, will be taaken in paymeent at their currrent value. April A 21st, 1797. Seats and aaccomodationss in the room will w be rendered d more conven enient [sic] forr ladies and geentlemen than n on the last evvening's sales''. Stock: 49644
The Jolly Farmer. [&] The Fa armer's
Wife. W [n n.d., c.1830.] Paair of fine han nd-coloured aqquatint. Each sheet: 180 x 14 40mm (7 x 5½ ½''). Trimmed and laid on allbum sheet. Sllight loss on right. £160 Tw wo portraits, the t first of a ruuddy faced farmer drrinking beer. The T second shhows a farmer's wife ch hurning butterr. Stock: 49942
Summeer. Engrav''d from an Original O Painting of Van V Goyen inn the Possesssion of Mr Poyner at Isliington. 13 31.
Van V Goyen pin nx. Elliot sculpp. Publishd according to Act A of Parliameent & Sold byy J. Boydell En ngraver at the Unicorn U the Co orner of Queenn Street Cheap pside Lo ondon. En ngraving. Platte: 290 x 420m mm (11½ x 16 6½''). Small margins. m £180 A Dutch rural landscape show wing figures rowing r boats, an nd looking after nets and baaskets. Stock: 49904
Tomb bleson's Pan noramic Ma ap of the River Tham mes from itss Source to the t Sea; Exhibiting the Picturessque Scenerry, and Principal O Objects of In nterest on itss Banks, witth the Distancces from Lon ndon Bridgee, &c. Also Panoramicc Map of thee River Medway. Engraved oon Steel and d Beautifully y Coloured, on a sheet F Four Feet in n Length. 132.
London: Jam mes Reynolds & Sons, 174, Strand. [n.d., 1876.] Original prinnted wrapper, advert pasted on inside fronnt cover; foldedd steel-engraved map with ½ chromolithoggraphic colourr, sheet 1285 x 255mm (50½ x 10"). Wrapppers loose and distressed, splits s in folds of map. Some ppencil annotatiions. £7550 A later editioon of the famoous 'bird's-eye' map of the Thames, show wing from thee source in Gloucestershire to the North Sea. Originally published p as the t index mapp to mbleson's ''Tom mbleson’s Vieews of the William Tom Thames and Medway'' (18833-4), the maap was so popular that iit was sold sepparately well into the 20th century. Thiss version has been b updated to show the railways. Stock: 50442
was w precision-m made, the gunn was more effficient, en nabling a smalller gun to firee shot further with less reecoil. They weere used from the 1770s to the t 1850s, by merchant m ships as well as thee Royal Navy.. At Trafalgar HMS H Victory used u two foreccastle carronad des to fire a ro ound shot and a keg of 500 m musket balls through t the Bucentaure's stern windows, clearing its gun g deck. y guns firing Carronades werre eventually ssuperceded by xplosive shellss. ex Th he use of mezzzotint on a tecchnical diagraam such as th his is unusual. Stock: 50002
13 35. [Louisb bourg] The E Expedition against Cape C Breton in Nova Scootia, 1745. Prrinted for & Sold by Caringgton Bowles, at a his Map & Prrint Warehousse, No 69 in SSt Pauls Churcch Yard, Lo ondon. [n.d., c.1755.] c Rare engraving g. Sheet 180 x 280mm (7 x 11"). Trrimmed within n plate, top rigght corner missing, afffecting plate, laid on album m paper. £140 Th he capture of the French forrtress of Louisbourg on Cape Breton Islland, during thhe War of thee Spanish uccession. Su Stock: 50000
A Man of War Cuttter of 10 Guns, as Bramble, B &c. Sailing byy the wind, on o the Larboard L tacck._Ensign aand Pendant flying. 13 36.
Knell, K del.t. N. Fielding sculpp.t. London, Pub.d P by Ackermann A & Co. C Oct.r 1. 18840. Hand-coloured H aquatint. Sheeet: 150 x 245m mm (6 x 9¾ ¾''). £290 A view of a Maan of War H.M M.S Bramble which w served ass tender to H.M M.S Fly and H H.M.S Rattlesn nake, it also un ndertook several tours aroun und Australia. Stock: 49896
13 37. Marine er. Lo ondon, Publish'd by Tabartt & Co. Aug. 1. 1 1804. En ngraving. Sheeet: 150 x 90m mm (6 x 3½''). Slight fo oxing. £45 Mariner M holds a sextant. Stock: 50488
133. Boarrding a Fren nch Brig-. 1829. JC Burrton. Hand-coloured etching. Shheet: 235 x 18 80mm (9¼ x 77''). £660 Foxing. A naval scenne showing saiilors clambering aboard a French ship.
13 38. [Giant Sextant.] [n n.d., c.1835.] Watercolour W on n embossed caard. Sheet: 165 5 x 220mm (6 6½ x 8½''). Pap per tone. £160 A fantastical sccene showing sailors climbiing all over a giiant sextant on n the deck of a ship.
Jointt Carronadee fitted to the Ships sidee. Plate 1st.
13 39. The Press Gang. [n n.d., c.1830.] Hand-coloured H lithograph. Shheet: 225 x 28 85mm (9 x 11 1¼''). Trimmeed and laid on album sheet. £120 A scene showin ng a group of m w clubs men, armed with fo orcing a young g man off a booat while a maan and woman w look on n concered. Prress gangs wou uld take yo oung men and d force them too join the navy y.
[n.d., c.1780.] 0mm (13 x Mezzotint annd line engravving. 330 x 460 18"). Laid onn board. £2660 A schematic for carronadee, a cast iron smoothbore c shownn cannon desiggned for short--range naval combat, mounted at a gunport of a ship. They weere first produced by the Carron Coompany of Faalkirk, who solld the gun, shott and mountingg as a packagee: as the shot
140. [Set o of Six Viewss of Ships.] Six hand-coloured scarce aquatints. a Eacch sheet: 155 x a sheet with w marbled 200mm (6 x 8''). Laid on album £3660 paper. Six portraits of British navval ships Stock: 50240
Rare hand-colo oured aquatint.. Sheet: 175 x 245mm (7 x 9½ ½''). Slight staaining in marggins. Trimmed d. £140 A naval battle scene s showingg HMS Redpo ole and HMS Rinaldo attacking the Frenchh fleet off the coast of Frrance. Stock: 49944
Plate 3rd. H.M. Frrigate Pique. In tow of th he French Brig Suffren,, which cantted her heead in the direction dessired. She ha aving reemain'd ung governable tthe previouss 24 Hours with w loss of Rudder R and making 3 feeet water p..r hour. [&] Plate 4th. H H.M. Frigate Pique As Portsmouth sh he appear'd in Dock at P h, Shewing th he entire desstruction to her Keels, Fore F Foot & Garboard,, from beatinng on the Rocks off Cape C Forteau u, on the Cooast of Labra adore 22nd Seeptr 1835. 14 45.
141. Dominus Provid debit. Iac: Andr: Frridrich sc. Augg. Vind. [n.d.,, c.1750.] Etching. Sheeet: 110 x 160m mm (4¼ x 6¼ ¼''). Trimmed. £550 orative boardeer. An engravingg of a ship sett within a deco By Jakob Anndreas Fridrichh. Stock: 50246
Incen ndie de la Ville de Paita a sur la Côtee de Santa Féé, dans la Mer M du Sud. 142.
[Paris, c.17566.] Engraving. 2210 x 370mm (8¼ x 14½"). Trimmed low wer right for bindding, binding folds as norm mal £1660 A view of Coommodore Annson's fleet atttacking the Spanish townn of Paita in north n Peru, durring his privateering circumnavigaation. Publisheed in Abbe Prevost's 'Hisstoire generale des voyagess', it copies thee engraving froom the officiaal account, pro obably drawn bby Peircy Brett, Anson's first lieutenant. Stock: 49984
The N Northumberrland, Capt.n Hotham engaging tw wo French frigates. f Fro om a paintin ng in the posseession of Sirr H. Hotham m. 143.
Painted by T T. Whitcombe.. Engraved by y T. Sutherlandd. [Pub.d by Pyyall & Stroud , 19 Hanway Street, S Oxfordd Street.] 5 x 245mm (77 x Rare hand-cooloured aquatiint. Sheet: 175 9½''). Slight staining. £1440 A naval battlle showing thee battle between the Frenchh navy and HM MS Northumberland under the t command of Henry Hothaam. Stock: 49945
Reprresentation of o the gallan nt attack made by th he Rinaldo , Capt.n And derson, and the Redpolle, Capt.n C. Campbell, on a Divisioon of the Enem my's flotilla,, in Boulogn ne Bay Sept.rr 3.rd 1811. 144.
From a Sketcch by W.A. Armstrong, A Maaster of the Rinaldo. Enggraved by Suthherland. Pub.d d by Pyall & Stroud , 19 H Hanway Streett, Oxford Street.
Drawn D on Stone by I.C. Shettkey, R.N. College, Trives & Maynard, Priinter. [n.d., c. 1840.] Tw wo scarce lith hographs (of fo four) Sheets 25 55 x 390mm (1 10 x 15¼"). Reepaired tear inn edge, some creasing. c £190 Tw wo plates of four f recounting ng the story off HMS Pique, a wooden fifth--rate sailing frrigate designed d by Sir William W Symon nds and laucheed 1834. Haviing survived an n eleven-hour struggle to geet off a granitee reef off the co oast of Labrad dor, Captain R Rous and his crew managed th he 1,500-mile journey j to Guuernsey in the leaking and ru udderless vessel. Stock: 48449
14 46. The ''A America'' Scchooner, 170 0 Tons, Winning W the Royal Yachht Squadron n Cup & Passing the ''Victoria & Albert'' off the Needles. N Frid day, August 22nd 1851. Augustus A Butleer, Del.t & Lith th. Printed & Pub.d P by Sttannard & Dix xon, 7 Poland St. [n.d., c.18 851.] Tiinted lithograp ph with touchhes of hand colour. Printed arrea 280 x 340m mm (11 x 13½ ½"). Unexamin ned out of frame. £950 A marine scenee showing the Schooner Yacht 'America' saailing off the coast c of the Islle of Wight in n 1851. HMY Victoria V and Allbert was a tw win-paddle steaamer used as th he royal yacht.. Fo or winning thee race, 'Ameriica', built by a syndicate of members m of thee New York SSailing Club, was w awared th he '£100 Cup'. Now known aas 'The America's Cup', it is the oldest international spoorting trophy. Stock: 50444
The My ystery Iron Yacht, 25 Tons, T Property of Lord L Alfred Paget, Win nner of the Siilver Breakffast Service given by the Royal Thames T Yach ht Club, Junne 17th 1842 2. 14 47.
Paainted by J. Roberts Snr.r. L Lithographed & Published by y Dean & Co Threadneedlee Street, Londo on. [n.d., c.1842.] 5 x 380mm Fiine & rare coloured lithograaph. Sheet 285 (1 11¼ x 15"). £360 With W two other yachts, 'Ladyy Louisa' and 'Sea ' Nymph'. Stock: 50668
Sylph h. E. Codd. Esq.r 14. To ons. [&] Daisy. W. S Smith. Esq.rr. 19 Tons. [&] [ Rob Royy. M. Martin.. Esq.r. 16. Tons. T [&] La ady Louisa. Thos. Smith. Esq.r. 13. Tons. 148.
[n.d., c.1840.] Scarce set off 4 hand-colouured etchings. Sheet: 205 x 250mm (8 x 10''). Trimmeed within platee. £6000 A set of extreemely fine, haand-coloured, decorative etchings of yyachts. Stock: 50304
[Six p plates of thee Siege of Ba arcelona.] Twelve of tthe most rem markable Sieges and Battles in E Europe. 1. Views, V repreesenting the most consid derable Traansactions in n the Siege oof a Place. Op pening the Trenches. T [& &] 2. Of making Salllies and thee method of repulsing them. [&] 33. [&] 4. An n Attack of two t Bastionss, at Breachess made by springing Miines. [&] 5. A General Asssault. [&] 6. 6 The Place taken by Storm and Plunder'd. 149.
Printed for & Sold by Cariington Bowles, at his Map & Print Warehoouse, No. 69 inn St. Pauls Ch hurch Yard, London. [n.dd., c.1775.] Album of sixx numbered enngravings, eacch c. 170 x 275mm (6¾ x 10¾"), trim mmed to plate and a laid on nership album paper,, stitched withh silk. Ink own inscription 'JJohn Wolley' on o album papeer of first platee. £6000 ng the The The completee run of six pllates illustratin Siege of Barccelona (14 Sepptember - 19 October 17055, during the W War of the Spannish Successio on, in which aan Allied army, led by Charlees Mordaunt, 3rd 3 Earl of he city of Peterboroughh (1658 - 17355), captured th Barcelona froom its Franco-Spanish defeenders. The plates w were publishedd as the first six x in the 'Twellve of the most rremarkable sieeges' series; th he other six were of nameed actions elseewhere in Eurrope (except ffor one plate of L Louisbourg inn Canada). Oftten booklets like this weree done for the entertainmen nt of officers serving abroaad.
uring the Seveen Years' Warr. Despite Wolfe's death, du th he result of thee battle was a decisive British victory. Th he compositio on deliberatelyy evokes the Lamentation L off Christ, a subjject frequentlyy depicted in religious paainting. Th he people in th he key Monckkton, Col Willliamson, Major M Barré, Capt Debbing, Capt Hervey Smyth and su urgeon Mr Ad dair. Stock: 49808
15 51. Head Quarters Q of SSecond Batttalion Brigade B of Ro oyal Marinees - The Orderley Hut - The Leiu.t Colonel's C Huut and the Adjutant's A Hut. H Above are a the mud huts of the men. H. H Bradley Rob berts, Lieu.t R R.M.A. Dickin nson, lith. [n n.d., c.1855.] Rare tinted litho ograph. Sheett 330 x 450mm m (13 x 17 7¾"), with large margins. £260 A view of the rudimentary loodgings of thee Royal Marines M in the Crimea. Having H served with distinctioon in the Royaal Marines Artillery A in the Crimea, Robeerts was prom moted to co olonel and app pointed Inspecctor of Fortificcations at the Royal Naval Co ollege, Portsm mouth, 1862-73. He died in 18 891. We W have been unable u to tracee the publicatiion this print ap ppeared in. Stock: 49794
[To tthe King's most m excellen nt Majesty, This plate, The Death of General Wolfe, W is with His grracious Perm mission hum mbly dedicated b by his Majessty's most du utiful Subject, W William Woolllett. From the t original Picture in tthe Collectioon of the Rig ght honourablee Lord Grossvenor. 150.
Painted by B B. West, Historrical Painter to o His Majestyy. Engraved byy W.m W[oolleett, Engraver to t his Majestyy.] Published as the Act directs January 1.st 1776. by ondon.] Mess.rs Wooollett, Boydelll & Ryland, Lo Engraving. S Sheet 440 x 6115mm (17¼ x 24¼"), with title excised bbut present, with w separate engraved e key oof six personagees. Trimmed to t plate on thrree sides and tto image at botttom. £4220 Large engravving of Benjam min West's fam mous paintingg of 1770 (Ottaawa, Nationall Gallery of Caanada) representing the death of thhe British Gen neral James P of Abraaham in 1759 Wolfe at the Battle of the Plains
15 52. Left Le eg Foremostt. Paainted by R. Farrier. F Drawnn on Stone by T. Fairburn. Lo ondon, Published by J. Mc..Cormick, 147 7 Strand. Day & Haghe Lith.rrs to the King.. [n.d., c.1840.] Fiine & scarce lithograph. Shheet: 390 x 305 5mm (15¼ x 12 2''). Damage in top left cornner and edge. £160 A scene showin ng an old mann with a woodeen leg marching m along g with a broom m over his sho oulder, fo ollowed by a young y boy bannging on a dru um. Stock: 50550
[Florrence Nightiingale.] [Onee of the Wards of th he Hospital at Scutari.] 153.
W. Simpson,, del. _ E. Wallker, lith. Day y & Son, Lithh.rs to the Queenn. Published April A 21st 1856 6, by Paul & Dominic Collnaghi & Co. 13 & 14, Pall Mal East. _Publishers tto Her Majestyy. Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet 305 x 460mm (12 ( x 18"). Trimmed, lossing title. £1990 Florence Nigghtingale in a ward, w by Willliam Simpsonn (1823-99) for his 'The Seaat of War in th he East'. Abbeyy Travel 237. Stock: 50669
154. Chelssea Pensioners. Cavalry y & Infantryy. C.H.S. Aquaatinted by I.C.Stadler. London Pub.d Novv.r 1.st 1814 by Colnaghi & Co. C 23 Cocksp pur Street. a Plate: 317 x 254mm m. Very fine hannd-coloured aquatint. (12½ x 10"), with large maargins. £1440 yal Hospital Exterior scenne in the grounnds of the Roy Chelsea in w which two Cheelsea Pensioneers stand in conversationn and a third watches w from a bench. The figure on thee left with a baarrel on his baack and a stickk in his hand, rrepresents a peensioner who served in the cavalry, whille the figure on o the right wiith a wooden lleg represents ann ex-infantrym man. The Royaal Hospital Chelsea was completed in 1692 after a warrant w was o a hospital fo for issued in 16881 authorisingg he building of the care of thhose 'broken by b age or war.'' From "Costumes of the Army off the British Empire, E according to the last regulaations 1814".
15 57. Homme de Conditi tion de Portu ugal. A Portuguese Gentleman. G H. H Michel del. T. Clark sculpp. London, Pu ublished by J. Booth, Duke Sttreet Portland Place, June 1, 1809. Hand-coloured H mm (15 x aquatint. Platte: 380 x 280m 11 1''), with very large marginss. Slight stainiing. £95 A portrait of a Portuguese P ma man in a cloak. A plate from th he Rev. William Bradford's 'Sketches of the t country, ch haracter and costume in Porrtugal and Spaain' first pu ublished in 24 4 parts between en 1809 and 18 810 publishedd in n the aftermath h of the Penins nsula War the series s was hu ugely popular and it was re--issued in 181 12 1813 and 18 823. Abbey Trravel 135.
155. Drag gons Francais. A French Dragoon. Rev.d W.m B Bradford del. I. I Clark sculp. London, Published byy J. Booth, Duuke Street Porttland Place, April 18, 18009. Hand-coloured aquatint, J.. Whatman 18 811. Plate: 3800 x gins. £1330 280mm (15 x 11''), with veery large marg A portrait off a French solddier on a plain n. A plate from m o the country,, the Rev. William Bradfordd's 'Sketches of P and Spain' S first character andd costume in Portugal published in 24 parts betw ween 1809 and d 1810 publishhed math of the Penninsula War th he series was in the afterm hugely popullar and it was re-issued in 1812 1813 andd 1823. Abbey Travel 135.
Portuguese Militarry Costume.. Costume Militaire M de Portugal. P
H. H Michel del. I. I Clark sculpp. London, Pub blished by J. Booth, Duke Sttreet Portland Place, Dec.r 7. 7 1809. Hand-coloured H mm (15 x aquatint. Platte: 380 x 280m 11 1''), with very large marginss Slight creasee upper right. £140 A portrait of tw wo Portuguesee soldiers. A plate from the Rev. William Bradford's B 'Skeetches of the country, c ch haracter and costume in Porrtugal and Spaain' first pu ublished in 24 4 parts between en 1809 and 18 810 publishedd in n the aftermath h of the Penins nsula War the series s was hu ugely popular and it was re--issued in 181 12 1813 and 18 823. Abbey Trravel 135. Stock: 50645
Légioon da Lorgn na. Portugu uese Legion da Lorgna.. 156.
H. Michel deel. T. Clark scuulp. London, Published by J. Booth, Dukee Street Portlannd Place, Nov v.r 20, 1809. Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate: P 380 x 28 80mm (15 x x marks on 11''), with veery large marggins. Slight fox horse. £1440 m of a battlee. A portrait off a mounted sooldier in the midst m the Rev. William Bradford d's 'Sketches oof A plate from the country, ccharacter and costume in Portugal and Spain' first puublished in 244 parts betweeen 1809 and 1810 publishhed in the afterrmath of the Peninsula P Warr the series waas hugely popuular and it wass re-issued in 1812 1813 annd 1823. Abbeey Travel 135. Stock: 50641
15 59. Grenad diers d'Espaagne. Spaniish Grenadiers. G I. Clark sculp. London, L Publiished by J. Bo ooth, Duke Sttreet Portland Place, Sept, 77, 1809. Hand-coloured H aquatint. Platte: 380 x 280m mm (15 x 11 1''), with very large marginss. £140 A portrait of tw wo Spanish solldiers with tall hats. A pllate from the Rev. R William Bradford's 'Sk ketches of thee co ountry, characcter and costum me in Portugaal and Spain' firrst published in i 24 parts bettween 1809 an nd 1810 pu ublished in thee aftermath off the Peninsulaa War the seeries was hugeely popular annd it was re-isssued in 1812 18 813 and 1823.. Abbey Traveel 135. Stock: 50644
160. Infan nterie d'Esp pagne. Span nish Infantryy. I. Clark sculpp. London, Puublished by J. Booth, Duke Street Portlannd Place, Septt.r 7. 1809. Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate: P 380 x 28 80mm (15 x h very large 11''), J. Whaatman 1811 watermark, with margins. £1440 c A plate A portrait off two Spanish soldiers in a camp. from the Revv. William Braadford's 'Sketcches of the country, charracter and cosstume in Portu ugal and Spainn' first publisheed in 24 parts between 1809 9 and 1810 published in the aftermathh of the Peninssula War the series was huugely popular and it was re--issued in 181 2 1813 and 18223. Abbey Traavel 135. Stock: 50646
The R Retreat of th he French Grand G Armyy from Moscow, Intercep pted by the Russian Cossacks, 11813. Inscriibed to the Wisdom, W & Policy & V Valour, of thee Russian Government G Army, by E Edw.d Ormee. 161.
Atkinson dell. M. Dubourgg sculp.t. Published & Sold Jan.y. 30.th 11813, by Edw.d Orme, Bon nd St. London.. Hand-coloured aquatint. Sheet: S 305 x 40 05mm (12 x 16''). Laid onn album sheet,, tears, foxing and paper tonne. £1330 wing the afterm math of a cosssack attack onn A scene show the retreatingg French armyy. Following Napoleon's N invasion of R Russia in 18122, Napoleon had held Moscow for one month buut as winter drrew in and witth R Napo oleon decidedd no negotiatioons from the Russians, to retreat. Laack of food and fodder for animals, a cold and repeatedd attacks from the Cossacks caused the French to losse huge numbeers of men.
Majesty M and H.R.H. the Princ nce Regent Bond St. (cornerr off Brook St.) London. Hand-coloured H Whatman wateermark. Sheet:: aquatint, J. W 26 60 x 360mm (10¼ ( x 14''). T Trimmed, losss in top left co orner. £140 A scene showin ng the commaanders of the allies a of the Siixth Coalition giving thankss following th heir victory at th he Battle of Leeipzig in Octob ober 1813. Thee victory was a decisive mom ment compellinng Napoleon to t return to Frrance. Stock: 50534
16 64. Porto Ferrajo. F Pu ublished by R. R Bowyer, Palll Mall, 1815. En ngraving. Platte: 395 x 300m mm (15½ x 12 2''). £180 A collection off images relatinng to Bonaparrte's im mprisonment on o Elba includding view of Porto P Ferrajo on n the Island off Elba and an engraved map p, as well as sm mall engraved portrait and ffacsimilies of his signatures. Stock: 50649
Bonaaparte's Fligght in Disguiise, from hiss Ruined Graand Army in Russia 1812. Dedicated tto all the Paatriotic Subsscribers to th he Fund for th he relief of the t brave Viictorious, bu ut suffering R Russians By Edw.d Orm me. 162.
Atkinson Del. M. Dubourgg Sculp.t. Pub blished & Soldd nd St. London.. Jan.y. 20.th 11813, by Edw.d Orme, Bon Hand-coloured aquatint. Sheet: S 305 x 40 05mm (12 x £990 16''). Laid onn album sheet at corners, foxing. A scene show wing Napoleon, wrapped in n a large fur cooat and hat escapping from a baattle on a sled. Following Napoleon's innvasion of Ruussia in 1812, Napoleon hadd held Moscow w for one monnth but as wintter drew in annd with no negootiations from the Russians, Napoleon decided to reetreat. Lack off food and fod dder for animaals, cold and repeeated attacks from f the Cosssacks caused th the French to losse huge numbeers of men. Stock: 50513
163. Returning Thanks to Almighty God, Spontaneou usly on the field f of Batttle, after the great victorry over the French F & Saxons, at Leipzig 18113, by the Emperors of Russia, Austria & K King of Pru ussia. J.A. Atkinsonn Del. M. Dubbourg Sculp.t.. Published & Sold March 11st. 1814 by Edw.d E Orme, Publisher P to hhis
[An androgynous nnaked figure playing th he cello.] 34 4. 16 65.
[n n.d., c.1920.] Liinocut? Imagee area 285 x 1 00mm (11½ x 4")
16 66. [The Barbary Sheeep] The Aou udad. Ovis Tragelaphus. T . [L Lithographed by b Joseph Sm mit after Joseph h Wolf.] [L London: Henry y Graves & C Company, 1861-1867.] Coloured lithog graph, trimmeed to image an nd mounted n card with gillt title, as issuued. Printed arrea 355 x on 24 45mm (14 x 9½"), with very ry large margin ns. £160 Th he Barbary Sh heep of North Africa. Frrom 'Zoologiccal Sketches bby Joseph Wollf. Made for th he Zoological Society of Loondon, from an nimals in th heir vivarium, in the Regentt's Park', issueed in two paarts, 1861 and d 1867. Jo oseph Wolf (1820-99), a Geerman artist, specialized in naatural history illustration, annd is considerred one of the grreat pioneers of o wildlife art,, having depiccted animals acccurately in liffelike posturess. He worked with John
Gould on 'Thhe Birds of Grreat Britain'. Sir S Edwin Landseer connsidered him 'without excep ption, the bestt all-round aniimal artist whoo ever lived'. Stock: 50357
oseph Wolf (1820-99), a Geerman artist, specialized in Jo naatural history illustration, annd is considerred one of the grreat pioneers of o wildlife art,, having depiccted animals acccurately in liffelike posturess. He worked with John Gould G on 'The Birds B of Great at Britain'. Sir Edwin Laandseer considered him 'wiithout exceptio on, the best alll-round animaal artist who eever lived'. Stock: 50355
16 69. The Hy yæna. Drawn D from Naature Engraveed & Publish'd d as the Act diirects by Cha.s Catton Jun.rr. No.7 on the Terrace To ottenham Cou urt Road Londdon Feb.y 28 1787. 1 Rare etching, with w aquatint. PPlate: 200 x 300mm (8 x 11 1¾''), with verry large margiins. £160 A portrait of an n African hyenna by Charles Catton II (1 1756-1819). Catton C was thee son of Charlees Catton I, hee entered the Royal R Academ my schools in 1775 and he ex xhibited at thee Royal Acadeemy between 1776 and 18 800. He emigrrated to the USSA in around 1802. Stock: 50526
167. The B Binturong. Arctictis Biinturong. [Lithographeed by Joseph Smit S after Joseeph Wolf.] [London: Heenry Graves & Company, 18 861-1867.] Coloured lithhograph, trimm med to image and mounted on card with gilt title, as isssued. Printed d area 330 x y large marginns. 235mm (13 x 9½") with teext sheet, very £1000 t bearcat, iss The binturonng, despite beiing known as the neither a beaar nor a cat, buut a civit. A naative of Indochina annd Indonesia, it i was first desscribed by Sirr Stamford Raaffles in a 'Mem moir of the Zo oology of Sumatra; it iss now a vulnerable species. From 'Zoologgical Sketchess by Joseph Wolf. W Made forr the Zoological Society of London, L from m animals in m, in the Regeent's Park', isssued in two their vivarium parts, 1861 aand 1867. Joseph Wolff (1820-99), a German artistt, specialized iin dered one of thhe natural historry illustration,, and is consid great pioneerrs of wildlife art, a having dep picted animalls accurately inn lifelike postuures. He workeed with John Gould on 'Thhe Birds of Grreat Britain'. Sir S Edwin Landseer connsidered him 'without excep ption, the bestt all-round aniimal artist whoo ever lived'. Stock: 50354
The H Hippopotam mus. Hippop potamus Amphibiuss. 168.
[Lithographeed by Joseph Smit S after Joseeph Wolf.] [London: Heenry Graves & Company, 18 861-1867.] Coloured lithhograph, trimm med to image and mounted on card with gilt title, as isssued. Printed d area 245 x v large marrgins. £2880 345mm (13 x 9½"), with very A herd of hipppos at the sidde of a lake. From 'Zoologgical Sketchess by Joseph Wolf. W Made forr the Zoological Society of London, L from m animals in m, in the Regeent's Park', isssued in two their vivarium parts, 1861 aand 1867.
17 70. The Ma arkhor. Cap apra Megaceeros. [L Lithographed by b Joseph Sm mit after Joseph h Wolf.] [L London: Henry y Graves & C Company, 1861-1867.] Coloured lithog graph, trimmeed to image an nd mounted n card with gillt title, as issuued. Printed arrea 355 x on 24 45mm (14 x 9½"), with very ry large margin ns. £320 Th he markhor orr Screw Horn Goat, the natiional animal off Pakistan. Frrom 'Zoologiccal Sketches bby Joseph Wollf. Made for th he Zoological Society of Loondon, from an nimals in th heir vivarium, in the Regentt's Park', issueed in two paarts, 1861 and d 1867. Jo oseph Wolf (1820-99), a Geerman artist, specialized in naatural history illustration, annd is considerred one of the grreat pioneers of o wildlife art,, having depiccted animals acccurately in liffelike posturess. He worked with John Gould G on 'The Birds B of Great at Britain'. Sir Edwin Laandseer considered him 'wiithout exceptio on, the best alll-round animaal artist who eever lived'. Stock: 50356
[The Siika Deer] Thhe Formosa an Deer. Cervus C Taiva anus. 17 71.
[L Lithographed by b Joseph Sm mit after Joseph h Wolf.] [L London: Henry y Graves & C Company, 1861-1867.] Coloured lithog graph, trimmeed to image an nd mounted n card with gillt title, as issuued. Printed arrea 245 x on 35 55mm (9½ x 14"), 1 with very ry large margin ns and text sh heet. £190 Th he sika deer (C Cervus nipponn), also know wn as the Jaapanese deer or o the spotted deer (being on ne of the few deeer species thaat does not losse its spots upon reaching maturity), m Frrom 'Zoologiccal Sketches bby Joseph Wollf. Made for th he Zoological Society of Loondon, from an nimals in th heir vivarium, in the Regentt's Park', issueed in two paarts, 1861 and d 1867. Jo oseph Wolf (1820-99), a Geerman artist, specialized in naatural history illustration, annd is considerred one of the grreat pioneers of o wildlife art,, having depiccted animals acccurately in liffelike posturess. He worked with John Gould G on 'The Birds B of Great at Britain'. Sir Edwin
Landseer connsidered him 'without excep ption, the bestt all-round aniimal artist whoo ever lived'. Stock: 50358
172. [The Small India an Civit] Th he Rasse. Viverriculaa Malaccenssis. [Lithographeed by Joseph Smit S after Joseeph Wolf.] [London: Heenry Graves & Company, 18 861-1867.] Coloured lithhograph, trimm med to image and mounted on card with gilt title, as isssued. Printed d area 230 x 335mm (9 x 13¼"), with a letterpress deescription, verry £1880 large marginns. The small Indian civet, Viiverricula indica, widespreaad through Indiaa and Incochinna. From 'Zoologgical Sketchess by Joseph Wolf. W Made forr the Zoological Society of London, L from m animals in m, in the Regeent's Park', isssued in two their vivarium parts, 1861 aand 1867. Joseph Wolff (1820-99), a German artistt, specialized iin dered one of thhe natural historry illustration,, and is consid great pioneerrs of wildlife art, a having dep picted animalls accurately inn lifelike postuures. He workeed with John Gould on 'Thhe Birds of Grreat Britain'. Sir S Edwin Landseer connsidered him 'without excep ption, the bestt all-round aniimal artist whoo ever lived'. Stock: 50353
173. [Beng gal Tigers.] Evert van Muuyden '87. [inn plate]. E. van n Muyden [signed in peencil]. [1887.] Etching on vvellum, signedd by the artist. 420 x 315mm m (16½ x 12½""). Mount burnn, taped stain in top marginn, crease in marrgin. £2660 Bengal Tigerrs at a riversidde, with a remarque of a tiger's head bbottom left. Evert Louis vvan Muyden (1853-1922), ( born b in Italy to Swiss parentts. In 1894 thee Art Institute of Chicago heeld an exhibitionn of over 200 of o his 'Water Colors, C Sketches, Penn Drawings annd Etchings' including fourr states of this print. It was also a illustrated d in Frederickk g', 1910. Keppel's 'Thee Golden Agee of Engraving Stock: 50330
174. Le Cheval Arabee. Le Zébre.. 5. Ed. Traviés. Imp. Lemerciier, r. de Seinee 57 Paris. n.d., c.1864). Paris, Ledot Ainé, Rue de Rivoli 174. [n with fine handd colour. Sheett 340 x 255mm m Lithograph w (13½ x 10"). Small tear in edge. £1440 a a zebra A pair of illuustrations of ann Arab horse and after Eduard Traviés (18099-76), printed from two n historyy stones, published in the rarre children's natural book, ''Typess du règne aniimal. Buffon en e estampes'' bby Henry-Alexis de Conty (1828-96). Stock: 50368
175. [Uria al] Vigne's Wild W Sheep. Ovis Vigneel. [Lithographeed by Joseph Smit S after Joseeph Wolf.] [London: Heenry Graves & Company, 18 861-1867.] Coloured lithhograph, trimm med to image and mounted on card with gilt title, as isssued. Printed d area 245 x m £1990 340mm (9½ x 13½"), withh very large margins. The Urial, also arkars or shhapo, from ceentral Asia.
Frrom 'Zoologiccal Sketches bby Joseph Wollf. Made for th he Zoological Society of Loondon, from an nimals in th heir vivarium, in the Regentt's Park', issueed in two paarts, 1861 and d 1867. Jo oseph Wolf (1820-99), a Geerman artist, specialized in naatural history illustration, annd is considerred one of the grreat pioneers of o wildlife art,, having depiccted animals acccurately in liffelike posturess. He worked with John Gould G on 'The Birds B of Great at Britain'. Sir Edwin Laandseer considered him 'wiithout exceptio on, the best alll-round animaal artist who eever lived'. Stock: 50359
17 76. Leicestter Sow Pig, Bred by Mr. S. Wiley Brandsby, B neear York. Frrom life & on Stone by H. SStratford. Prin nted by C. Moody, M 13, Ratthbone Pl. [n.dd., c.1845.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 170 x 2500mm (6¾ x 9¾ ¾''). Laid on allbum sheet, staaining. Tear aat top. £60 A portrait of a large l sow in a barn. Stock: 50241
Prize Shropshire S SSheep. Winn ner of First Prize and Cu up in the Claass for Three Fat Wether W Sheep p of the Shrropshire Breeed at the Sm mithfield Cllub Show, 19902. Ownerr and Exhibitor: E P.L. Mills, Essq. Ruddingtton Hall, Nottingham. N 17 77.
Su upplement to The Profitablee Farm and Garden, G June 4..th 1904. [Cop pyright.] W.H . & L. Colling gridge, Lo ondon. Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 2110 x 315mm (8¼ x 12¼''). £70 Teears. A portrait of a prize p sheep. Stock: 50574
17 78. [Collar red Dove.] [aafter William Hayes.] H [n.d., c.1794.] Ettching with fin ne hand colouur. 440 x 310m mm (17¼ x 12 2¼"), on laid paper p waterm marked 'G R'. £240 A fine etching from f Hayes's 'Rare and Currious Birds Accurately A Draawn and Colouured from Theeir Specimenss in n the Menagerie at Osterly PPark', first edition. Hayes H (1735-18 802), a self-tau aught artist wh ho had illlustrated 'A Natural N Historyy of British Biirds' in 1775, was w commissioned to recordd the collection n of live birds beelonging to Ro obert and Saraah Child, the owners o of Osterley. O It wass a family affaair: he employ yed at least seeven of his chiildren as etcheers, colouristss and binders. Th he volumes were w assembledd when they were w ordered,
with the conttents varying because b of wh hat has been called 'a prodduction line off unrivalled ch haos'. A second, poosthumous ediition was issueed in 1817, 'published foor the benefit of o his family'. Stock: 50332
179. [Littlle Owl] Noctua Minor Aucuparia. A [after Corenllis Nozeman.] [Amsterdam,, n.d., c.1790.]] Engraving w with original haand colour. 42 20 x 280mm (16½ x 11"), 18th century watermark, very v large margins. £2220 O (Athene noctua) n with a An illustratioon of a Little Owl depiction of iits egg. A platte from 'Nederlandsche vogelen' the first study of Dutch D birds, published p in parts from 17770-1829, witth illustrationss by Corneliuss Nozeman, enngraved by Chhristiaan Sepp, his son Jan Christiaan Seepp and granddson Jan Sepp. Stock: 50361
At A the same tim me the publishher was also prreparing the firrst plates for John J James Auudobon's 'Bird ds of America', A also life-size. l It is said that Aud dubon sw witched to Rob bert Havell Jnnr in London after a ten pllates were finiished because he felt Selby was reeceiving preferrential treatmeent from Lizaars. Stock: 50349
18 83. Sparrow Hawk, M Male. Plate XIII*. X [aafter Prideaux John Selby.] [Edinburgh: Daniel D Lizars an nd London: Lo ongman, Reess, Orme, c.182 21.] En ngraving with h hand colour. 265 x 420mm m (10½ x 16 6½"), on papeer watermarkedd 'Ruse & Turrner 1818', laarge margins. £160 A sparrow haw wk with an unfo fortunate snipee, plate 13* off Selby's 'Illusstrations of Brritish Ornithollogy', pu ublished between 1821 andd 1834. This was w the first pu ublication in which w British bbirds were illu ustrated lifesize. At A the same tim me the publishher was also prreparing the firrst plates for John J James Auudobon's 'Bird ds of America', A also life-size. l It is said that Aud dubon sw witched to Rob bert Havell Jnnr in London after a ten pllates were finiished because he felt Selby was reeceiving preferrential treatmeent from Lizaars. Stock: 50350
180. Merllin. Male. Im mmature Plu umage. E. Neale. [n.dd., c.1880.] Lithograph w with fine handd colour. Sheett 335 x 430mm m (13¼ x 17"). £660 A young merrlin with its prrey, in a coasttal landscape. Edward Nealle (1833-19044) provided illustrations for a number of biird books: thiss plate is probably from E.T T. Booth's ''Rouugh Notes on the t Birds obseerved during 225 years' Shootiing and Colleccting in the Brritish Isles''. Stock: 50328
181. [Red Kite.] [after William m Hayes.] [n.dd., c.1775.] Etching withh fine hand collour. 315 x 44 45mm. On laidd paper waterm marked 'J. Whatman', very large l margins.. £2220 A fine etchinng from Hayess's 'A Natural History of British Birdss'. Stock: 50360
182. Sparrrow Hawk, Female. Plate XIII. [after Prideauux John Selbyy.] [Edinburgh h: Daniel Lizaars and London: Longman, Reees, Orme, c.1 1821.] with hand colouur. 265 x 420m mm (10½ x Engraving w 16½"), on paaper watermarrked 'Ruse & Turner T 1818', large marginns. A little dam mp staining in margin. £1660 p 13 of Sellby's A female spaarrow hawk, plate 'Illustrations of British Ornnithology', published between 1821 and 1834. This T was the fiirst publicationn in which Brittish birds werre illustrated liife-size.
18 84. Le Gra and Machot.. L'Albratro os. 14. Ed d. Traviés. Im mp. Becquet à PParis. Paris, Ledot L Ainé, Rue de Rivoli 174. 1 [n.d., c.18864). Liithograph with h hand colourr. Sheet 340 x 255mm £140 (1 13½ x 10"). Sttitch holes in lleft margin. A king penguin n and an albatrross, a pair off illustrations affter Eduard Trraviés (1809-776), printed fro om two stones, publisheed in the rare children's natu ural history bo ook, ''Types du règne animaal. Buffon en estampes'' by Henry-Alexis H de d Conty (182 8-96). Stock: 50020
18 85. Le Con ndor. Le Roii du Vautou urs. 15. Ed d. Traviés. Im mp. Becquet à PParis. Paris, Ledot L Ainé, Rue de Rivoli 174. 1 [n.d., c.18864). Liithograph with h fine hand coolour. Sheet 34 40 x 255mm (1 13½ x 10"). Sm mall tear in eddge. £95 A pair of illustrrations of two American birrds, a condor an nd a king vultu ure, after Edua uard Traviés (1 1809-76), prrinted from tw wo stones, pubblished in the rare r ch hildren's naturral history boook, ''Types du règne an nimal. Buffon en estampes''' by Henry-Allexis de Conty (1828-96 6). Stock: 50397
18 86. Le Casoar. L'Autrruche. 43. Ed d. Traviés. Im mp. Becquet à PParis. Paris, Ledot L Ainé, Rue de Rivoli 174. 1 [n.d., c.18864). Liithograph with h fine hand coolour. Sheet 34 40 x 255mm (1 13½ x 10"). £120 A pair of illustrrations of a Caassowary and an ostrich affter Eduard Trraviés (1809-776), printed fro om two stones, publisheed in the rare children's natu ural history bo ook, ''Types du règne animaal. Buffon en estampes'' by Henry-Alexis H de d Conty (182 8-96). Stock: 50279
187. Le D Dindon. La Pintade. P 43. Ed. Traviés. Imp. Becquett à Paris. Pariss, Ledot Ainé, c Rue de Rivolli 174. [n.d., c.1864). Lithograph w with hand coloour. Sheet 340 0 x 255mm (13½ x 10"). £1110 A pair of illuustrations of a turkey and a guinea fowl after Eduard Traviés (18099-76), printed from two n historyy stones, published in the rarre children's natural book, ''Typess du règne aniimal. Buffon en e estampes'' bby Henry-Alexis de Conty (1828-96).
Aureorum A cultu ura...' by Giovvanni battista Ferrari F 1646 which w was a sciientific study of exotic fruitts. Stock: 50102
188. Fleurrs a l'Aquarrelle. 6. D'apres Madd.e P. Girardinn. Imp. Lemerccier Paris. Publié par Goupil et C.ie, Paris. New York, Londres, Berlin. [n.d., c.1860.] 30mm (19¼ x Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 490 x 33 13"), large m margins with publisher's p blin nd stamp. Som me spotting. £2880 After Paulinee Girardin vonn Schultz. Stock: 50367
189. [Carn nations] Fleeurs a l'Aquarelle. 5. D'apres Madd.e P. Girardinn. Imp. Lemerccier Paris. Publié par Goupil et C.ie, Paris. New York, Londres, Berlin. [n.d., c.1860.] 30mm (19¼ x Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 490 x 33 13"), large m margins, publissher's blind staamp. Some spotting. £2880 After Paulinee Girardin vonn Schultz. Stock: 50366
190. [Rosees] Fleurs a l'Aquarelle. 1. D'apres Madd.e P. Girardinn. Imp. Lemerccier Paris. Publié par Goupil et C.ie, Paris. New York, Londres, Berlin. [n.d., c.1860.] 30mm (19¼ x Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 490 x 33 13"), large m margins, publissher's blind staamp. Pinhole in image, some spotting. £2880 After Paulinee Girardin vonn Schultz. Stock: 50365
191. [A Trree Diety Grrabbed by Figures.] F And. Sacchi Rom. del. C. Bloemaert scu ulp. [n.d., c.1646.] Bit later. Plate: 305 x 2115mm (12 x 8½''). Small Engraving. P margins, creaasing and smaall hole in mid ddle. £660 A classical sccene showingg two old wom man pulling at a part-human, part-tree figurre. An illustraation from m cultura...' byy 'Hesperides ssive de Maloruum Aureorum Giovanni batttista Ferrari 1646 1 which waas a scientific study of exottic fruits. Stock: 50104
192. [A Trree Nymph in Classical Landscape .] F. Romanell del. C. Bloem maert sculp. [n n.d., c.1646.] Bit later w Plaate: 305 x Engraving, 18th century watermark. £1440 215mm (12 x 8½''). Centraal crease. A scene show wing figures kneeling k beforre a part-humaan part tree figuure, lying on thhe ground is a river diety. A An illustration frrom 'Hesperiddes sive de Maalorum
19 93. [Wome en Offering L Lemons to River R Dieties.] D Nicolaus N Pousssinus delin. Coornelius Bloem maert sculp. [n n.d., c.1646.] Bit later. En ngraving. Platte: 305 x 215m mm (12 x 8½''). Small margins. m £140 A classical scen ne showing yooung women offering o a baasket of lemon ns to river godd while a wom man picks more m lemons beehind them. A An illustration n from 'H Hesperides sive de Malorum m Aureorum cu ultura...' by Giovanni G battissta Ferrari 16446 which was a scientific study of exotic fruits. Stock: 50103
19 94. [Classic cal Figures iin a Shell.] Frranciscus Albanus del. C. B Bloemaert scullp. [n.d., c.1646.] Bit latter ngraving. Platte: 305 x 215m mm (12 x 8½''). Very small En margins m £160 A classical scen ne showing a ggroup of wom men with gaarlands being pulled by satyyrs in a giant shell. s In the fo oreground a wolf w suckles tw wins and Apollo watches th he scene from above. An illuustration from m 'Hesperides sive de Malorum m Aureorum ccultura...' by Giovanni G baattista Ferrari 1646 which w was a scientific study of ex xotic fruits. Stock: 50105
19 95. [Black Pepper] Moolagó-codi [A Amsterdam: Jo oannis van Soomeren, Joann nis van Dyck, Henrici H & Theo odori Boom, 11686-1703.] En ngraving. 335 x 415mm (133¼ x 16¼"), with w very laarge margins. £140
Black pepperr, one of the 791 7 plates in 'H Horti Malabarici', a twelve-voluume work by Hendrik H van Reede tot Drrakestein (1637?-91). The plant's p name iss rendered on tthe plates in Latin, L Arabic, Brahmin and Malayalam. Stock: 49541
99. [Candy y Cane Sorrrel.] Oxalis versicolor. v 19 [aafter James So owerby.] [Lond ndon, 1790-3.] En ngraving with h hand colour. 445 x 275mm m (18 x 10 0¾"), on J. Whatman paperr with large margins. £120 An A illustration by b James Sow werby (1757-1 1822) for Jaames Edward Smith's 'Iconees pictae planttarum raariorum descriiptionibus et oobservationibu us illustratae'. Stock: 50362
[Cornissh bladderseeed.] Ligustticum co ornubiense 20 00.
[aafter James So owerby.] [Lond ndon, 1790-3.] En ngraving with h hand colour. 455 x 285mm m (18 x 11 1¼"), on J. Whatman paperr with large margins. Uncut. U £95 Cornish bladderseed (Physosspermum corn nubiense). An A illustration by b James Sow werby (1757-1 1822) for Jaames Edward Smith's 'Iconees pictae planttarum raariorum descriiptionibus et oobservationibu us illustratae'. Stock: 50364
[Cheilocostus speciosus] Tsjána-Kúa. Ponvó. 196.
[Amsterdam:: Joannis van Someren, Joaannis van Dyckk, Henrici & Thheodori Boom m, 1686-1703.]] Engraving. 3345 x 430mm (13½ x 17"), with w very largge o margin worrn. £995 margins. Botttom corners of Also known as crêpe gingeer, it is native to southeast h been used to treat fever, Asia, where tthe rhizome has rash, asthma,, bronchitis, annd intestinal worms. w One of the 7991 plates in 'H Horti Malabariici', a twelvevolume workk by Hendrik van v Reede tot Drakestein (1637?-91). T The plant's naame is rendereed on the platees in Latin, Araabic, Brahmin and Malayalaam. Stock: 49540
197. [A Srri Lankan liily] Bellútta--póla-Tály. [Amsterdam:: Joannis van Someren, Joaannis van Dyckk, Henrici & Thheodori Boom m, 1686-1703.]] Engraving. 3340 x 420mm (13½ x 16½")), with very £995 large marginns. Bottom corrners of margin worn. Horti Malabariici', a twelveOne of the 7991 plates in 'H volume workk by Hendrik van v Reede tot Drakestein (1637?-91). T The plant's naame is rendereed on the platees in Latin, Araabic and Malayyalam. Stock: 49539
198. [Viteex pinnata] Katou-MailK -Elou. [Amsterdam:: Joannis van Someren, Joaannis van Dyckk, Henrici & Thheodori Boom m, 1686-1703.]] Engraving. 3350 x 440mm (14 x 17¼"), very v large med to plate on n right, as margins on 3 sides. Trimm issued. £995 A botanical iillustration of Vitex pinnataa, a tree of thee family Lamiaaceae, native to t south and south s east Asiaa. Slow growinng, the wood iss used for con nstruction and the manufactture of knife handles; h the leeaves and barkk are used to trreat abdominaal pain, fever and a malaria. One of the 7991 plates in 'H Horti Malabariici', a twelvevolume workk by Hendrik van v Reede tot Drakestein (1637?-91). T The plant's naame is rendereed on the platees in Latin, Araabic, Sanscrit and a Malayalam m. Stock: 49538
20 01. [Satin Flower.] F Sissyrinchium striatum, s [aafter James So owerby.] [Lond ndon, 1790-3.] En ngraving with h hand colour. 455 x 285mm m (18 x 11 1¼"), on J. Whatman paperr with large margins. Uncut. U £120 An A illustration by b James Sow werby (1757-1 1822) for Jaames Edward Smith's 'Iconees pictae planttarum raariorum descriiptionibus et oobservationibu us illustratae'. Stock: 50363
[Still liffe of cut flow wers, includ ding ch hrysanthemums, poppiees and cherrry bllossom.] 20 02.
Frrom an Origin nal Picture of M Mr A. Green, Engraved by B. Green. [n.d.,, c.1770.] mm (12¾ x 9"). Trimmed Sccarce mezzotint. 325 x 230m in nto plate at botttom, narrow llateral margin ns with a few ch hips. Repaired d tears. £320 A still life engraved by Benjaamin Green (1 1739-98) affter his brother Amos (17355-1807). Amos A Green is best known fo for painting the landscapes beehind George Stubbs' figurees in the 'Labo ourers' and 'G Game Keepers' pair, mezzottinted by B.B. Evans in 17 790. Th he BM has a 'modern impreession' of this plate, but with w the inscrip ption ''A. Greeen Pinx.t. B. Green G fecit. Pu ublish'd by R: Sayer & J: B Bennett, No 53 3, Fleet Street,, ass the Act direccts April 14th,, 1779''. It wass purchased from the Lenno ox-Boyd collecction, suggestting co ontemporary printings p mustt be very rare. See BM 20 010,7081.2324 4. Stock: 50348
20 03. Studiess of Trees byy J.C. Deeley. Lo ondon. J. & F. Harwood 266 Fenchurch St. Rare set of 5 litthographs withh frontispiece. Sheet: 250 x 335mm (9¾ x 13¾''). Markking on frontispiece. £250 A set of five stu udies of trees,, including Elm m, Beech, Walnut, W Ash an nd Chestnut. Stock: 50408
20 08. Outline e of the Attaack upon Algiers ex xhibiting in the Panoram ma, Leicesteer Square.
Treess from Boim m. The Su ping. The Chew kû orr Goyavas. No. N 143. Voll. IV Plate 45.p. 292. 204.
R. & E. William mson sculp.t [[after Henry Aston A Barker]. [L London: Henry y Aston Barkeer, n.d., 1818.] En ngraving. Sheeet 285 x 440m mm (11¼ x 17 7¼"), with leetter press key label stuck onn. Folds and staining. s £180 A visitor's keyp plate for the exxhibition of a 360º paintingg on n the inside off the rotunda oof Barker's Paanorama, a pu urpose-built gallery in Leiceester Street. Visitors V would w climb staairs to a viewiing platform and a use this ass a guide to the painting. It w was issued as a folding pllate in a leafleet, 'Descriptionn of Lord Exm mouth's attack up pon Algiers : painted p by Heenry Aston Baarker', written by y James Jennings. Th he rotunda is preserved p with thin the French h Catholic 'C Church of Notrre Dame de Frrance'. Stock: 50454
J. Wood Scuulp. [n.d., c.17445.] Sheet: 170 x 205mm (6¾ x 8''). Trimmedd Engraving. S and laid on aalbum sheet. £880 A diagram off two fruit treees from 'A Neew General Collection off Voyages andd Travels', prin nted for Thomas Astlley 1745.
Ah! Ah h! See my Piicture. Eh! Eh! Voila mon m portrait.
Étud des de Poissoons. Raie, Maquereau, M Brochet, Rouget, Angu uille, Langou uste, Homarrd et Ecrevissee. 205.
Peint et Lithoog. par Gaildrrau. Paris, L. Turgis T J.ne Imp.r Edit.r rr. des Ecoles, 60 _ Maison à New-York. Chromolithograph. Sheet 710 7 x 540mm m (28 x 21¼"). Notch in righht edge. £5220 An array of ffish and seafoood, including a skate, mackerel, pikke, mullet, eell, lobster and crayfish, c arouund a bottle, glass of wine and a plate of opeen oysters. Stock: 50258
206. The G Greengrocer. G. Spratt del. Printed by G.E. G Madeley, Wellington S St. Tilt, Fleet Streeet. [n.d., c.18 830.] Pub.d by C. T Hand-coloured lithograph.. Sheet: 280 x 220mm (11 x y. £1880 8¾''), with veery large marggins. Bit dusty An assemblaage print show wing a greengrrocer formed oof his produce, glass houses are a shown in the t distance. Stock: 50371
Nouvveau Jeu du Solitaire. Ainsi A nomm é parce qu'il se jou seul. Son originee viente de l'Ameriquee ou les Peup ples vont seu uls a la chasse, et aau retour plaantent leurs fleches en des trous d de leurs cases... 207.
Se vend au S Singe Verd, Ruue des Arcis. [n.d., c.1770.]] Engraving. P Plate: 270 x 2770mm (10½ x 10½''). Centrral, vertical creasse and foxing.. £1880 A table and iinstructions foor a game of so olitaire, with explanation aand rules. Thee text explainss that the gamee originates froom America where w people hunt h alone andd so play the game on their return r journey y, using arrow ws to make markks on their boxes. Stock: 50475
Sccarce pen and ink. Image: 885 x 70mm (3¼ x 2¾''). Trrimmed and laaid on card. £160 An A upside-dow wn puzzle whicch shows a do onkey when heeld one way an nd a portrait w when held the other. 21 10. The Ro ose Shamrocck & Thistlee. To General G Unio on. This Platte containin ng Profiles off Eight Illustrious Persoonages is mo ost humbly In nscribed by W.S. [n n.d., c.1815.] Fiine hand colou ured engravinng. Sheet size: 140 x 11 10mm (5½ x 4¼"). 4 £260 A rare 'puzzle' print, p depictinng a bunch of flowers, with a rose, represen nting England,, a thistle, representing g Ireland. Thee Sccotland, and several cloverss, representing ou utline profiles of Louis XVIIII, Wellingto on, Blucher, an nd others can be b seen withinn the flowers. Th he list of all eight portraits iis inscribed below to the leeft. Stock: 50306
21 11. Traged dy. Comedy.. [n n.d., c.1840.] Hand-coloured H lithograph. Shheet: 140 x 16 65mm (5½ x 6½ ½''). Trimmed d. Neatly repaaired tear. £140 An A upside-dow wn puzzle printt showing sev ven faces, heeld one way up the faces loook happy, held the other way w they look sad. s Stock: 49933
21 12. The Ro oyal Allied O Oak and Self Created Mushroom M Race. R Beholdd the Oak, whose w firm fix'd stay Dotth check Opppression's course, c Whose W slightest branch ccan ne'er deecay, While sttrong with Virtue's V forcce...The Musshroom Race R you hav ve to seek Inn weeds abou ut the Root, Who W scarce dare d at the O Oak to peep, Or at its Princely Fruiit. J. Field del.t Etch'd by Heathh. Pub. May 29 9. 1815, by J. Jeenkins, 48 Straand.
Fine hand-cooloured etchinng. 300 x 215m mm (11¾ x 8½"). Slight crease at bottoom. £1990 a aged oak creates profilees A puzzle-prinnt: a gnarled and of George IIII, Louis XVIIII, the Prince Regent R , Tsar Alexander I, Wellington annd Blücher. On O the ground h are hidden thhe are two mushhrooms and pllants, in which profiles of N Napoleon Buonnaparte; his so on Napoleon (King of Rom me) and brothers Louis, Jerome and Joseph; Chaarles XIV Johnn of Sweden; and a Joachim Murat. In the backgroundd the tower of Windsor W Casttle m trees. BM Saatires: 12547.. emerges from Stock: 50308
The R Royal Rose Buds and th he Parent
21 16. Edward Flower, E Esq.re. Paintted & Engraved E forr the Gentlem men who weere Educated E at Mr. M Flower''s Academy,, Islington. Paainted by J. Liinnell. Engravved by Henry Cook. Lo ondon, Published Oct.r 14.tth 1828 by Caarpenter & So on, Old Bond St. Colnaghi,, Cockspur S.tt Moon, Boys & Graves, Pall Mall & Scholley, 100, Upper St. Isslington. En ngraving, very y fine & rare iimpression. Plate: 335 x 23 35mm (13 x 9¼''). Staining on right marg gin and slight fo oxing £280 A portrait of schoolmaster off Flower's Acaademy in Isslington, a stricking image. Stock: 50654
Stem. London, Pubb. by. J.T. Woood, 33, Holyw well Str. Strandd. [n.d., c.1850.] S x 115mm (6 x Puzzle print, zincograph. Sheet:150 £1880 4½''). nce Albert facee The profiles of Queen Vicctoria and Prin n the buds each other, ddelineated by a rose bush. In above are thee Royal Princeesses. Stock: 50310
21 17. Imman nuel Kant. J. Chapman scu ulpt. London, Published Ap pril 4.th 1812 by y Adlard & Jo ones. Colour-printed stipple. Plate:: 180 x 140mm m (7 x 5½''), with w very large margins. £95 A portrait of Geerman philosoopher Immanu uel Kant (1 1724-1804) set within a deccorative framee made up of a snake Ourobo oros representiting eternity. Stock: 50508
21 18. Figure Ioannis Wiccleui doctor ris Angli. [n n.d., c.1600.] Woodcut. W Sheet: 75 x 55mm m (3 x 2¼''). Trrimmed and laaid on album sheet. s £45 A portrait of wrriter and philoosopher John Wycliffe W (1 1324-1384) sh hown presentinng a book to the king. Above A is a sheeet listing varioous prints of Wycliffe. W BM 18 868,0822.2802 2. Stock: 50525
Pickeens Sketchess of Napoleo on No.1. Violets. Naapoleon, Wiffe and Son. 214.
[n.d., c.1840.] 8 x 5½''). Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 2005 x 140mm (8 Trimmed. £995 A puzzle prinnts in which thhe profiles of Napoleon, hiss wife Josephinne and son Naapoleon II are forms in the stems and leaaves of a bouqquet of violetss. Stock: 49934
215. [Prottean View off a Church.]] H. Mogford ddel. [n.d., c.18835.] Hand-coloured lithograph.. Sheet: 245 x 175mm (9½ x 7''). Trimmedd. £995 A protean vieew of a churchh, in which th he moon and a church clockk become illum minated when held to the light. Stock: 50464
21 19. Turner r. [in image. ] S.. Haydon Sc.t. D. Maclise ddel.t. [n.d., c.1850.] Ettching. Plate: 225 x 150mm m (9 x 6''), with h large margins. m £120 A portrait of J.M M.W. Turner (1775-1851) working w on a paainting while sitting s on a stoool, below thee image is a reeproduction off Turner's painnting the 'Figh hting Teemeraire' which shows the hhulk of the H.M.S Teemeraire being towed alongg the Thames to be broken up p. Stock: 50501
22 20. ''The Fallacy F of Hoope''. [C Count D'Orsay y.] Printed by Hullmandel & Walton. Lo ondon Publish hed by J. Hogaarth, No. 5, Haymarket, H Jaan.y. 1.st 1851 1. Rare lithograph h, printed on cchine collé. Sh heet: 390 x 25 55mm (15¼ x 10''). Foxing . £250 A portrait of J.M M.W. Turner (1775-1851), shown standing by a piano and stirriing a cup of coffee. The deescription on the t copy in the he British Musseum deescribes the sccene as being at the house of o Elhanan Bicknell, a collector of Turneer's work, afteer dinner. Stock: 50503
Mr. W West and Faamily. To her h Imperiall Majesty of all the Russsia's; This Plate P is respectfullyy Dedicated by her mosst Dutiful an nd Obedient h humble Servvants M.B. 221.
Painted by B Benj.n West Hiistorical Paintter to his Majesty. Enggraved by Bovver. London Printed P for Robert Sayerr. Fleet Street.. Rare engraviing. Plate: 2500 x 290mm (9¾ x 11½''), w with large marginns. Creasing. £2880 t artist Benjamin West A scene in a room where the nd brother-instands behindd the chairs off his father an law, on a chaair on the righht sits West's wife w Elizabethh holding theirr young son, thheir elder son stands to the side. Stock: 49903
A portrait of pu ublisher and boookseller John n Dunton (1 1659-1733) wh ho started the Athenian Socciety and pu ublished perio odicals such ass 'The Atheniaan Mercury' an nd 'The Ladiess Mercury'. Stock: 50636
22 24. Henry Gally Knigh ht Esq.e. Paainted by Hen nry Edridge. E Engraved by S.W. Reynolds. [Lon ndon, n.d., 18225.] Fiine & rare mezzotint. 495 x 370mm (19½ ½ x 14½"), with w large marg gins. £550 A romantic & fine f image shoowing Henry Gally-Knight G (1 1786-1846), in n oriental costu tume and turbaan, holding th he hilt of a swo ord and a longg pipe. He waas an MP and au uthor of severaal Oriental talles and bookss on arrchitecture. Lo ord Byron, in hhis ''Ballad to o the Tune of Saalley in our Alley'', accusedd Gally-Knigh ht of being a daandy. Stock: 49961
22 25. Edward Gibbon E Esq.re. Siir. Joshua Rey ynolds pinx.t. H.R. Cook scculp.t. Pu ublished Nov.r 1.st 1807 byy Oddy & Co. No. 27, Oxford O Street, London. L Sttipple, printed d on chine colllé. Plate: 225 x 145mm (9 x 5¾''), with larrge margins. C Chine collé co oming loose. £120 A portrait of En nglish historiaan, writer and M.P. Edwardd Gibbon G (1737-1 1794) set in a decorative fraame with a viignette of classical ruins bellow. Stock: 50394
Praeccellentissimi Vatis, Sam muelis Butlerr. Calidus exccuso populu um suspendeere Naso. Pers. Illusttrissomp Viro Georgio Granville Baroni de L Lansdown. Hanc H Tabullam Humillime D.D.D. G. Vertue. V 222.
G. Soest pinxx. G. Vertue Sculpsit. S [n.d.,, c.1730.] Engraving. P Plate: 265 x 2440mm (10½ x 9½''), with very large maargins. Some marking. £995 A portrait off poet and satirrist Samuel Bu utler (1613Vertue's 'Twellve Celebrated d English Poetts'. 1680) from V Stock: 50045
223. Athenianism was John Duntton's though ht, t Perfection n brought; And in thesse features to For Knightt and Gughtt that Mysticck Art did find, To paaint John's Projects P persson and his Mind. Theey with the likeness, warrmth and Grace do ggive, And maake his Pictu ure seem to think and llive: And's Heraldry H he from the Muses farm ms, For Pegaasus shou'd be a Poets Arms. E. Knight del. M. V. de Guucht sculp. [n.d., c.1730.] A rare engravving. Sheet: 170 x 100mm (6¾ x 4''). Trimmed witthin plate. £1330
22 26. Edward Gibbon E Esq.re. Siir. Joshua Rey ynolds pinx.t. H.R. Cook scculp.t. Pu ublished Nov.r 1.st 1807 byy Oddy & Co. No. 27, Oxford O Street, London. L En ngraving, unfi finished proof. f. Sheet: 250 x 175mm (9¾ x 7''). Foxing. £220 A portrait of En nglish historiaan, writer and M.P. Edwardd Gibbon G (1737-1 1794) set in a decorative fraame with a viignette of classical ruins bellow. Stock: 50395
22 27. Dr. Swift. Cives alliquos virtuttibus pares, & habemus & habebimuus, gloria nem minem, Plin. Espist. B. Wilson Fecitt 1751. mpression. Plaate: 175 x 110mm (7 x Ettching, fine im 4¼ ¼''). Trimmed d. £130 A portrait of wrriter Jonathann Swift (1667-1745), frontispiece to Lord L Orrery's 'Remarks on the Life & Writings W of Sw wift' 1752. Stock: 50014
22 28. Mr. Wiilliam Wollaaston. Done e after the Marble M Bust,, in Her Majjesty's Herm mitage in th he Royal Ga arden at Richhmond. I. Faber fecit. Printed P for Thoo: Bowles in St. S Pauls Church Yard, & John Bowlees at the black Horse in Cornhill. [n.d., c.1745.] Mezzotint, M 18th h century wateermark. Plate: 355 x 25 55mm (14 x 10''), large marrgins. £260
A portrait off philosophicall writer Williaam Wollaston The Religion of o Nature (1659-1724) who wrote 'T osophers of Delineated' 11722. From thhe series 'Philo England'. CSS 121.I. Stock: 50385
229. The B British Unioon. Published byy O. Hodgson,, 111 Fleet Strreet. [n.d., c.1840.] 2 x 205mm Fine hand-cooloured lithogrraph. Sheet: 255 (10 x 8''). Drrawing on versso. £2220 A portrait off Queen Victorria and Princee Albert shownn above Windssor castle. Stock: 50305
On O trial for 'coiining' (counterrfeiting) in 17 714, Jane Housden H was being brought ddown to the dock d when William W Johnso on, a butcher w with a convicttion for hiighway robberry (although ppardoned), trieed to talk to heer. When the gaoler g Spurlinng told him hee would have to o wait until thee trial was oveer Johnson pulled a pistol an nd shot him deead. Housden''s trial was halted and both triied for murder and convicteed. Despite haaving the en ntire court as witnesses w for tthe prosecutio on, both co ontinued to deeny the offence ce until their ex xecutions on th he 14th Septem mber. Johnsonn was then han nged in ch hains near Hollloway, betweeen Islington and a Highgate. En ngraving publlished in the 'T The Tyburn ch hronicle: or, Villainy V display y'd in all its brranches'. Stock: 50078
[Chaarter Segmen nt from reig gn of Georgee
II.] [n.d., c.1740.] mm (8½ x 8'')). Engraving onn vellum. Sheet: 215 x 200m Excised from m larger sheet. £1440 A portrait off George II surrrounded by fllorid engravinng. t portrait sh hows him as He reigned 1727-60, and this young-lookinng, with a longg wig. The captial to a largeer document. Stock: 50267
231. Georrgius Quartu us. Chantrey Scuulpsit. Reynollds Excudebatt. London, Published Appril 23rd. by W. W Sams Book k & Print Sell er to the Royal Family S.t Jam mes Str.t. Plate: 230 x 1550mm (9 x 6'')), with very Mezzoting. P large marginns. Foxing. Unncut. £1660 V (1762-1830)) A portrait off a marble bustt of George IV Sir Francis Chhantrey. sculpted by S Stock: 50471
23 33. [Boy in n a Cap.] [W Watteau] [n.d., c.1770.] Ettching, proof. Plate: 185 x 1140mm (7¼ x 5½''), with laarge margins. £160 Prroof after Wattteau. Stock: 49902
[A cherrub blowingg bubbles.] [Engrav'd frrom a Paintiing by Rubeens.] 23 34.
[E Engraved by Captain C Williaam Baillie afteer Peter Paul Rubens.] [n.d., c.1770.] Ettching, proof before b letters.. 155 x 115mm m (6 x 4½"). Wear W in bottom m margin. £140 Ettched by Capttain William B Baillie (1723-1810). Having H retired from the armyy in 1761 he devoted d hiimself to printtmaking and ddealing, speciaalising in im mitating old-m master drawinggs and prints, using u a vaariety of printm making techni niques. Ex: colllection of the Hon. H Christoph her Lennox Booyd. Stock: 49629
[Man Drinking D Puunch.] Fill up u the mighty m spark kling Bowl.... 23 35.
I. Vander Mÿn pinx.t. A. Vannder Mÿn feciit. Printed for wles at the T. Bowles in Stt. Paul Churchh Yard, J. Bow bllack Horse in Cornhill. [n.dd., c.1745.] Sccarce mezzotint. Plate: 355 x 255mm (14 4 x 10''), largee margins m on 3 siides. Loss of m margin on righ ht edge reepaired. £360 A portrait of a man m sitting at a table with a large punch bo owl and glass in his hand. Stock: 50386
W.m m Johnson sh hooting Mr Spurling, S head Turnk key of Newggate, while Jane J Housdeen (then goingg to Trial) sttands by enccouraging him. 232.
Dodd delin. S Scott sculp. [nn.d., c.1770] Engraving. S Sheet 210 x 1225mm (8¼ x 5"). 5 Trimmed to plate on threee sides. £660
23 36. Grecqu ue. Guérard G del. Im mp. par Lemerrcier. Régnier lith. Paris_ Jeeannin, Place du d Louvre, 200 et chez Desm maisonsCabasson, Quaii Voltaire, 15,, ph, with handd-colour. Sheet: 440 x Tiinted lithograp 30 00mm (17¼ x 11¾''). Foxinng in very larg ge margins. £230 A portrait of a woman w in Greeek-style costu ume. Stock: 50140
23 37. [La Ho ollandaise Sttudieuse(?)] Metzu M pinx. Pelletier sculp. [[n.d., c.1775.]] En ngraving with h etching, prooof before title.. 395 x 29 90mm (15½ x 11½"). £180
A Dutch or F Flemish womaan drawing on n her sketch book. A canvvas is set up on an easel beh hind her and there is a gloobe on a shelf upper right. A very fine proof. Le Blaanc Blanc 14.
Molenaer, unttil 1893. orr her husband,, Jan Miense M Because of the reattribution tthe Rijksmuseeum pu urchased the painting p in 19008. The mezzzotinting arround the head d is particularlly fine.
238. Mexiicaine. 24. Guérard del. Imp. par Lem mercier. Régniier lith. Paris_Desmaaisons-Cabassson, Quai Volttaire, 15, et chhez Jeannin, Placce du Louvre, 20. Tinted lithoggraph, with finne hand-colourr. Sheet: 440 x 300mm (17¼ ¼ x 11¾''), witth large margiins. Slight foxing. £1990 M e costume. A portrait off a woman in Mexican-style
Sir Jam mes Brooke. (Rajah of Sarawak.) S From a Photo ograph takeen expressly for the Work W by Herrbert Watkiins.
W. W J. Edwards. London, Jam mes S. Virtue. [n.d., c.1860.] 65mm (10¼ x Sttipple and linee engraving. SSheet 260 x 16 6½ ½"). Crease, slight surface ssoiling. £60 Th hree-quarter length portraitt of Sir James Brooke (1 1803-68), Rajaah of Sarawakk, seated to rig ght, facing th he viewer, weaaring a jacket,, waistcoat and d cravat. Stock: 49626
24 43. A Bedo ouin Arab. Designed D and Sketched S on Sttone by Rich.d J. Lane, A.R.A. A [Engelm mann, Graf, C Coindet, & Co..][n.d., c.1840.] Rare lithograph h, printed on cchine collé. Sh heet: 250 x 20 00mm (9¾ x 8''). 8 Slight foxxing. £140 A portrait of Orrientalist Edw ward William Lane L (180118 876) who tran nslated 'One Thhousand and One O Nights' which w was publlished in mont nthly parts betw ween 1838 an nd 1840. By portrait artist R Richard Lane (1800-1872). ( Stock: 50485
239. [Proffile of an Old Man.] I.B. Piazetta delineavit F.X X. Iungwirth sculpsit s Mon. Sac. Caes. Maaj. I.C. Leopolld excudit Augg. Cum Privil. S Vindelic. [n.dd., c.1790.] Engraving. P Plate: 145 x 1000mm (5¾ x 4''), 4 with very large marginns. £1330 Stock: 49898
240. Repeentance. [n.d., c.1790.] Stipple. Prooof before letterrs. Plate: 290 x 220mm (11 ½ x 8¾''). Trim mmed within plate on lower edge. Slight hole in bottom m of image. £1110 A scene show wing a young well-dressed woman walkiing down a counntry road cryinng. Stock: 49325
241. [The Serenade.] F. Hals pinx..t [scratched out o on plate]. F.C. F Beirwilerr, fecit 1803. 5 x 355mm A rare mezzootint, proof beefore title. 515 (21¼ x 14"). £6220 ung man A fine & attrractive image showing a you wearing feathhered hat and elaborate colllar and cuffs, playing a lutee, lit from below by a candlle. Although this plate was orriginally attrib buted the imagge y Judith Leysteer to Frans Halss, it was painted in 1629 by (1609-60). A All her works were w attributed d to either Haals
24 44. Mrs. Elizabeth Wooodcock, A married m woman w 42 Yeears of Age, of Impingto on, a Village V 3 milees North of C Cambridge,, lost her way w in return ning hom froom Market,, on Sa aturday Eveening, Feb.yy 2.d 1799 & was bu uried 7 feet deep in the Snow... Cambridge, Pub blished May, 29.th 1799. Republished R by y J. Hatt, Peass Hill, Nuly 299.th 1849, Pro oprietor of the Views V of Camb bridge &c. Sccarce engravin ng. 265 x 209m mm (10½ x 8¼"). Damage £130 to o margin on rig ght. A portrait of Ellizabeth Wooddcock, who su urvived being traapped in a sno owdrift for eigght days. Mrs M Elizabeth Woodcock, W a rresident of Im mpington and wife w of Daniel Woodcock, W w went to Cambrridge market on n Saturday 2nd February 17799. She sold her eggs and bu utter and starteed to return hoome. Her last stopping pllace was The Three T Tuns att the top of Caastle Hill. Heavy H falls of snow s had alreeady occurred when she reeplenished herr flask with brrandy and left for home on heer horse. She was w thrown frrom her horse in the fields to o the east of Im mpington, andd was unable to o remount. Sh haken and num mbed with colld she took sh helter under a haawthorn hedgee. The snow ddrifted over heer until she was w completely y covered. Earrly next morniing she heard th he church bellss ringing for m morning servicce. She also heeard the voices of passers-bby in the distan nce, but was un nable to attracct attention. Onn the Monday y she made a ho ole in the snow w above her an and made a flaag of her red haandkerchief which w she tied on a stick. Th his flag led to heer discovery but b not till anoother week had d passed. On th he following Sunday, S the Paarish Clerk of Impington, William W Munseey, saw the flaag while out walking, w
discovered M Mrs Woodcockk, got help, an nd rescued herr. She had beenn buried underr the snow forr eight days, an and was consciouus most of thee time. She heaard a church clock strikingg the hours, annd the church bells on two successive Suundays. Afterr her rescue, trragically she ddid not survive loong. She was taken ill and died d on 24th July at the agge of 43.
oyalist hands. Asgill's mothher appealed to Louis XVI, Lo who w sent an am mbassador whoo successfully y requested a reeprieve. Asgilll later wrote a letter to an American A neewspaper detaailing the treattment he receiived in caaptivity, includ ding beatings by drunken reevellers who haad paid money y to enter his ccell. Stock: 50091
24 47. James Wolfe, W Esq. r. Commander in Chief C of His Majesty's M Foorces in the Expedition to o Quebec. For F the Londdon Mag. Prrinted for R. Baldwin B at thee Rose in Pater Noster Row. [n.d., c.17 780.] Hand-coloured H engraving. Pllate: 180 x 110mm (7 x £65 4¼ ¼''). Small maargins. A portrait of Brritish army off fficer James Wolfe W (172717 759) who is beest known forr his taking off Quebec 17 759. Stock: 50405
Michel Boai, the C Celebrated Chin C Performer. His H Wife, andd M. Engelss, the Violin Accompanyis A st In the Coostume in wh hich they ap ppear in theeir popular P Perfomancee at The Egyptian E Halll, Picadilly.. 24 48.
View w of the Publlic Office Bo ow Street, with Sir Joohn Fieldingg presidingm m&a Prisoner un nder examin nation. 245.
Dodd delin. T Taylor sculp, [n.d., c.1770] Engraving. S Sheet 210 x 1225mm (8¼ x 5"). 5 Trimmed to plate. £665 t 'Blind Sir John Fiellding (1721-800), known as the Beak', havingg blinded in thhe navy aged 19. In 1750 hee became the aassistant of hiss older brotherr, Henry Fielding, maagistrate of Boow Street, aidiing him in thee setting up off the Bow Streeet Runners, th he first professional police force, and a the Policee Gazzette, a llist of known criiminals circulaated around London. Henryy (now better kknown as a noovelist) died in n 1754 and Johhn took his placce as magistratte. It is said hee was able to c by th heir voices recognize thrree thousand criminals alone. n chronicle: orr, Engraving puublished in thee 'The Tyburn Villainy dispplay'd in all itss branches'. Stock: 50077
Geneeral Sir Chaarles Asgill Bar.t B G.C.G.O. & &c. &c. &c. 246.
Painted by T T. Philips Esq.rr. Engraved by y C. Turner. London Publlished April 20th 1822, by C. C Turner No 55. Warren S Street, Fitzroyy Square. Mezzotint. 505 x 355mm (20 ( x 13¾"), with w very largge £2880 margins. Papper toned, edges brittle. Half-length pportrait of Chaarles Asgill (1762-1823) in his dress unifform. Asgill found f fame wh hen, having being taken pprisoner at thee surrender at Yorktown, hee was sentenceed to death by George Wash hington in retaliation foor the death off an American captain at
[P Printed by Eng gelmann, Graff, Coindet & Co.] C [London;; Pu ublished by S. W. Fores, 411 Picadilly.] [n n.d., c.1830.] A rare lithograp ph with hand- colour. Sheet: 440 x 31 10mm (17½ x 12"). Cut aroound figures and a laid on allbum sheet. £230 A group portraiit of Michel B Boai and his acccompanyists on n stage. Boai came c from Maainz in Germaany and peerformed by making m music by hitting his jaw bone with w his fists which was accoompanied by guitar g and viiolin. Stock: 50479
24 49. M.elle Sophie Cruvvelli. [n n.d., c.1850.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 140 x 1100mm (5½ x 4¼ ¼''). Trimmedd an nd laid on albu um sheet. £130 A portrait of Geerman opera ssinger Sophie Cruvelli (1 1826-1907). Verso V oil sketcch S. Stanislav vs Kostka. Stock: 50533
25 50. [W. Ha arrison. S. SS. ''Great Ea astern''.] En ngraved by D.J. Pound from m a Photograp ph by Mayall. [n n.d., c.1860.] En ngraving, prin nted on chine ccollé, proof before title. Sh heet: 410 x 29 95mm (16 x 1 1½''). Trimmeed. £95 A portrait of Caaptain William m Harrison (1812-1860) who w was a merchant navy offficer who serv ved as caaptain of the Great G Eastern. Harrison diess when the sh hip's boat he was w sailing in ffrom Southam mpton to Hythe H was capssized. Stock: 50567
W. Harrrison. S. S. ''Great Easstern''. [ffacsimilie sig gnature.] 25 51.
En ngraved by D.J. Pound from m a Photograp ph by Mayall. [n n.d., c.1860.] En ngraving, prin nted on chine ccollé. Sheet: 410 4 x 295mm (1 16 x 11½''). Crreasing. £95
A portrait off Captain Williiam Harrison (1812-1860) merchant navy officer who served s as who was a m captain of thee Great Easterrn. Harrison dies d when the ship's boat hee was sailing in i from South hampton to Hythe was caapsized. Stock: 50566
The R Right Hon.b ble Lord Hood, Admiraal of the Blue, And Commander in Chief C of his Majesty's F Fleet in the Mediterrane M ean. 252.
57. Grey Nevill N Arm: Q Quantae Pieetatis 25 im mago! Virg-. M. M Dahl pinx: 1720 1 pro Gu.m mo Benson Arrm: Excu: G. White. W [1720.] Rare mezzotint. Sheet: 355 x 250mm (14 x 9¾''). Trrimmed within n plate, rubbeed and laid on album sheet. A portrait of po oltician Grey N Neville (1681-1723) seatedd att a table. Stock: 50568
Painted by L L.F.Abbott. Enngraved by V..Green Mezzotinto E Engraver to hiis Majesty & to t the Elector Palatine. Pubblished by L.F F.Abbott Caroline Street, Bedford Squuare Decem.r 1st, 1 1795. ( x 16"). Very V small Mezzotint. 6445 x 405mm (25½ margins £5220 muel Hood (17 724-1816), Full length pportrait of Sam published to commemorate his promotio on to full admiral. CS 666. Stock: 49966
Captt.n John Hun nter. Late Governor G off New South Wales. 253.
Eng. by Ridley from an Orriginal Picturee. Pub. by Gold Shoe Lane Dec. 1. 1801. Bunney & G Stipple. Sheeet: 250 x 140m mm (9¾ x 5½'''). Foxing in edges. £1440 A half-lengthh portrait of Joohn Hunter (1737-1821) whho served as an officer in the Royal Navy and a then a Governor of New South succeeded Arthur Phillip as Wales. Stock: 50024
His E Excellency John J L.d Carteret, Baroon of Hawnes,, L.d Lieuten nant & Gov v.r. Gen.l of y.e Kingdom of Ireland d, &c. 254.
G. Kneller B Bar.t pinx. P. Pelham P fecit. London, L Sold by J. Bowles in Mercers Hall Cheapside. [n n.d., c.1720.] Plate: 355 x 2550mm (14 x 9¾ ¾''), with veryy Mezzotint. P £2220 large marginns. nd Earl A portrait off statesman Johhn Carteret, 2n Granville (16690-1763). CSS 5.I. Stock: 50384
The R Right Honourable Charrles James
Fox. R. Bowyer P Pinx.t. W. Brom mley Sculp.t. Pub. by Rob.tt Bowyer, No 80 Pall Mall, Jan.y 2 1815. 80mm (28½ x Engraving, tiitle in open lettters. 725 x 48 19"). Narrow w margins. Reepair at bottom m edge. £3880 Full length pportrait of Fox, arm resting on o a book. Stock: 49832
256. [G.P..R. James.] F. Cruikshannk. J.C. Armyttage. [n.d., c.1 1860.] Engraving. P Plate: 230 x 1660mm (9 x 6¼ ¼''). Foxing. £665 A portrait off English noveelist George Paayne Rainsforrd James (1779--1860) who seerved as Britissh consul in Europe and tthe USA. Stock: 50582
25 58. Il Faut Déclarer laa Guerre a la a France. [n n.d., c. 1782.] En ngraving. Platte: 190 x 120m mm (7½ x 4½ ½''), with large margins. m Messy y. £75 An A unusual imaage showing W William Pitt, 1st 1 Earl of Chatham (1708 8-1778) statingg his oppositio on to France he Seven Yearrs War. att the start of th Stock: 49932
25 59. The Right Hon: W William Pitt. Gainsborough G Pinxit. P William m Bromley Scculpsit. Pub. by y Rob.t Bowyer, No 80 Palll Mall, June 4th 4 1808. En ngraving, titlee in open letterrs. 720 x 475m mm (28¼ x 18 8¾"). Thread margins, wear ar to lower leftt edge, small reepairs to margins. £380 Fu ull length porttrait of Pitt thee Younger, staanding at a taable, official ro obes to his rigght. He had dieed in office tw wo years earlieer. Stock: 49831
John Rickman R Esqq.r. Clerk of o the House off Commons.. 26 60.
S.. Lane pinxit 1831. 1 Printed by Graf & So oret. Liithograph. Sheeet: 280 x 1900mm (11 x 7½ ½''). Creasing an nd foxing off image. i £60 A portrait of go overnment offi ficial and statistician John Rickman (1771-1840) shownn seated in hiss study. Stock: 50590
Lord d Holland an nd Lord Joh hn Russell in n consultatioon on the Billl for the abo olition of Th he Sacramental Test, Thiis Plate is deedicated to the friends of Religious Liberty. 261.
Painted and E Engraved by H. H Hughes. [n n.d., c.1828.] Rare hand-cooloured mezzootint. Sheet: 455 x 340mm (18 x 13¼''). Trimmed andd damage in margins, m stainss £2220 and paper tonnes. A double porrtrait showingg Henry Richaard Vassall-Foox, 3rd Baron Hoolland (1773-1840) sitting in i a chair and Lord John Ruussell (1792-11878) standing g beside him. The portrait ccommemoratees the Scramen ntal Test Bill which repealled the requireement for MPss to take communion iin the Churchh of England. Stock: 50551
26 64. [John Sharp, S Archhbishop of York.] Y [n n.d., c.1720.] En ngraving, proo of before all leetters. Sheet: 170 x 10 00mm (6¾ x 4''). 4 Trimmed and tipped into album sh heet. £130 A half-length portrait of clerggyman John Sharp S (164517 714). Stock: 50548
26 65. Rev.d Joshua J Webbb. Wageman, W fecit 1820. Publisshed as the Acct directs by W. W Williams, Amen A Corner, Paternoster Row. R Mezzotint. M 305 x 205mm (122 x 8"). Repairrs, messy. £65 A rare print. Stock: 49529
26 66. [Madon nna and Chi hild.] Done after a y.e Original O of Raphael R Urbbin (now in y.e y Palace off Kensington n) in a rounnd of 22 Inch hes Diameter D y.e figures as bbig as y.e Liffe. So old by Iohn Bowes at the B Black Horse in n Cornhill. [n n.d., c.1750.] Mezzotint, M 18th h century wateermark. Plate: 300 x 22 25mm (11¾ x 9''), with veryy large margin ns. £240 A portrait of the Madonna annd Child after Raphael. Stock: 50387
Herma annus Boerhhaave Mediccinae Botanices, B Ch hermiae & C Collegy Pracctici, in Acad. A Lugd. Bat. Professsor Ordinarrius. Regiae So ocietatis Londinesnsis nnec non Aca ademiae Sccientiarum Parisiensus P Socius. 26 67.
262. H.G. Wood. Fro om a drawin ng by Jamess Holmes Esq q.r. This plaate is by exp press permission n dedicated most m respecttfully to the Members oof the Reform m Club by their t faithfu ul Servant Th homas Collin ns. Engraved byy W.H. Mote. London, L Thom mas Collins, 170, Picadillyy, Jan.y 23, 18842. Engraving, pprinted on chinne collé. Plate: 280 x 195mm m (11 x 7¾''). T Time staining.. £1220 A portrait off statesman andd colonial adm minstrator w involved iin Henry Georgge Ward (17977-1860) who was the administrration of Austtralia and New w Zealand. Hee served as govvernor of Ceyylon from 1855 5 and briefly aas governor of M Madras in 18660 until his deeath later that year. Stock: 50573
Charrles Callis Western W Esq..re. M.P. forr the Countyy of Essex. 1830. 263.
Drawn on Stone by R.J. Lane A.R.A. from a Miniatuure Printed by C. Hullmandel. H by F. Ford. P Lithograph oon india, title on o backing paaper. Printed area 230 x 1445mm (9 x 5¾ ¾"). £1440 Charles Calliis Western (17767-1844), Baaron Western,, MP for Essexx. Stock: 50671
G. G White fecit. Printed & Solld by Tho: Bo owles next thee Chapter house in i St. Pauls Ch Church Yard. Rare mezzotint. Plate: 365 x 255mm (14¼ ¼ x 10''). Sm mall margins. £480 A portrait of su urgeon Hermann Boerhaave (1668-1738) ( who w was hugely y influential inn his field. Bo oerhaave in ntroduced the idea i of post-m mortem to deteermine the caause of death and a the use off thermometerrs in clinical ex xaminations. CS C 6.I. Stock: 50381
26 68. Miller. De la sociéété Royale de Londres. De D l'Academiie des Botannistes de florrence et Directeur D du Jardin de B Botanique Des D Apothicaires A de Chelsea.. C.F. Maillet, feecit 1787. ngraving. Platte: 250 x 175m mm (9¾ x 7''). Trimmed to En pllate on top edg ge, ink marks from verso in n French. Sm mall margins on 3 sides. £160 A portrait of bo otanist Philip M Miller (1691-1771), chief gaardener of the Chelsea Physsic Garden fro om 1722 until sh hortly before his h death. He w was also a Felllow of the Royal Society. Stock: 50114
269. Williiam Phillips F.R.L. & G.S.S. G [John Elliot. Maxim Gauci.] [John & Arrthur Arch.][n.d., cc.1831.] Lithograph, pprinted in chinne collé. Sheet: 350 x 245m mm (13¾ x 9¾''). Foxing in boorders. £1330 A portrait off mineralogist and geologistt William Phillips (17773-1828). Stock: 50586
73. Portraiit of the Mosst Noble Th he 27 Marchioness M of Salisburyy Dedicated d to the Right R Hon.ble The Earl oof Hillsboro ough. By his Lordships L mo ost obedientt humble Serv.t R.d Harraden. H R. Crosse pinx.t painter in Ennamel to his Majesty. M R.H. Ex xcud. Benj. Sm mith sculp.t PPub.d August 1 1790 by R. Harraden H St. Martins M Lane. Rare stipple. Pllate: 210 x 1655mm (8¼ x 6½''). Very sm mall margins, slight creasing ng £120 A portrait of Mary M Amelia C Cecil (1750-18 835) after a miniature m by Riichard Crossee. Stock: 50016
27 74. A Sketc ch taken at Chelsea. H.G. H 1865. In nk drawing. Sh heet: 190 x 1880mm (7½ x 7''). 7 Tipped in nto album sheeet. £160 A portrait of a rotund r man taaking a walk by b the Th hames at Chellsea. Stock: 50511
270. J.E. S Smith. Aet. 4. Drawn by T. Worlidge. [E Engraved by Mary M Turner.] [n.d., c.1820.] mm (5 x 4''), with w very largee Stipple. Platee: 125 x 100m margins. £550 ward Smith A portrait off a four year olld James Edw (1759-1828).. Botanist Smiith was one off the foundingg members of tthe Linnean Society. S Stock: 49955
271. Earl of Northesk k. [in ink.] J. Hibbert Jun un.r Bath, Feciit. [n.d., c.1800.] Scarce aquattint. Plate: 2955 x 220mm (11½ x 8½''). Small marginns. £2440 A portrait off William Carnnegie, 7th Earl of Northesk (1858-1831) as a Post Capptain. Carnegiee joined the t American Royal Navy iin 1771 and served during the Wars of Indeependence andd French Revo olutionary Wars. Stock: 50416
W. C Caxton, the first f Introdu ucer of Printing into England.. 272.
[After John B Bagford.] [n.dd., c.1737.] Engraving. S Sheet: 140 x 90mm (5½ x 3½''). Trimmedd and laid on aalbum sheet. £1330 A portrait off merchant William Caxton (1422-1491) who introducced the printinng press to England. Frontispiece to Lewis's 'Liife of Caxton' 1737. Stock: 50522
27 75. Will.m Darling of tthe Fern Isllands. E. Hastings del.t. L. Corbauxx. London Ack kermann & Co. Strand, Dicckinson Bond St. & Newcasstle Currie & lmandel. [n.d.,, c.1838.] Bowman. Printed by C. Hullm Rare lithograph h. Sheet: 380 x 280mm (15 x 11''). £190 A portrait of William W Darlingg who was a lighthouse l keeeper on the Farne F Islands, near the coastt of Northumberlan N nd. On 7th Sepptember 1838 Darling and hiis daughter Grrace rescued 9 people from the wrecked Fo orfarshire, botth were awardded the Silver Medal for brravery by the Royal R Nationaal Insitution for f Prreservation off Life from Shhipwreck. Stock: 50389
27 76. [John Dickens.] D S.. Haydon ad vivam v f.t. [n.d.., c.1880.] Ettching. Plate: 165 x 85mm ((6½ x 3¼''), with w very laarge margins. Dusty. D £260 A portrait of Jo ohn Dickens (11785-1851), father f of no ovelist Charles Dickens andd the model fo or the ch haracter of Mrr Micawber inn the novel 'Daavid Copperfield'. An A etching afteer a bust by Saamuel Haydon. H Stock: 50392
27 77. Nell Gw wyn. GS G 1753. Rare etching. Plate: P 80 x 60m mm (3 x 2¼'').. Tipped into allbum sheet. £95 A portrait of Ch harles II mistrress Nell Gwy yn by miniaturist m Gervase Spencer.. Stock: 50289
27 78. William m Hage. Thhe Celebrateed guide to Haddon H Hall Derbyshiree, the descen ndant of a fa amily which has served in the housee of Manners M upw wards of thrree centuriess. He was bo orn in 1745 and in his ppresent capa acity has beeen known to t visitors siixty one years.
Drawn on Stone by Rayneer, from a draw wing by Oakleey. [n.d., c.1830.] p Sheet: Fine & rare hhand-colouredd lithograph, proof. 255 x 190mm m (10 x 7½''). Trimmed. £2220 A portrait off the William Hage, H caretakeer of Haddon utland. Hall, one of tthe seats of thhe Dukes of Ru
A fine & attracttive image shoowing two bo oys seated to ogether surrounded by antiqque armour, a white dog ju umping at their feet. The eldder, George (1 1793-1857, laater the 6th Du uke of Marlboorough), holds a helmet on hiis head; the yo ounger, Charlees (1794-1840 0, army offficer and MP), holds a macce.
Phoeebe Hassel, Who W says sh he was born in the year 17715. An Industrious Wo oman living at Brighton n, with very slender mea ans of Support, w which she can n only earn by selling th he contents off her baslet for f whose asssistance thiis Etching is ssold. Price 3/-. 3
28 83. Percy Honeywood H Courtenay Knight of Malta M &c. &cc. &c.
Published forr her May 1. 1814. 1 Rare soft-groound etching, watermark J. Whatman 1810. Plate: 3310 x 240mm m (12 x 9½''), with w very largge margins. Sligght crease. £2660 A portrait off Phoebe Hasseel who lived an a extraordinaary life, serving ffor 17 years inn the army as a man. Some stories claim m she enlisted to t follow a lov ver while otheers f player. Aft fter say she was eenlisted by heer father as a fife leaving the aarmy she settleed in Brighton n and sold fishh and fruit from m a barrow. Stock: 50378
Frederick Earl of o Carlisle Knight K of thee Garter, &cc &c &c. 280.
Pu ublished by Henry H Ward, C Canterbury. Prrinted by Leefevre & Koh hler 52 Newmaan Str. Fiine & rare han nd-coloured litithograph. Sheeet: 230 x 20 00mm (9 x 8'')). Dusty, trimm med. £240 A portrait of Jo ohn Nichols Toom (1799-183 38) who was kn nown by severral names, he was a Cornish h winemerchant m who re-invented r hiimself as Sir William W Peercy Honeywo ood Courtenayy, he took to wearing w ex xotic costumes and stood foor MP of Cantterbury in 18 832, though he was unsucceessful.. After being b co onvicted of peerjury after inttervening for some s sm mugglers he sp pent some tim me in a lunatic asylum. After A being releeased he gatheered a group of o followers which w ended in n a confrontatio ion with some soldiers in Basseden wood d in which Tom m was killed. See 49935 fo or uncoloured version. Stock: 49949
R. Cosway R R.A. delin.t. Anth.y A Cardon sculp.t. [n.d., c.1800.] mm (10¾ x 8''). Trimmed Stipple. Sheeet: 275 x 205m within plate. £1880 A portrait off poltician Fredderick Howard, 5th Earl of L North to Carlisle (17448-1825) who was sent by Lord attempt a recconciliation wiith the 13 colo onies during thhe American W War of Indepenndence, though h the commission was not succeessful Howard d was praised and entrusted with w the vicero oyalty of for his role an Ireland in 1780. Stock: 50113
281. [Jam mes Richardsson.] [n.d., c.1830.] P 290 x A rare mezzootint, proof beefore letters. Plate: 210mm (11½ ½ x 8¼''), withh very large margins. m Creasing. £3220 A half-lengthh portrait of a man looking right. Pencil annotations iidentify the sittter as James Richardson R off Richardson'ss Hotel in Covvent Garden. Stock: 50585
To th he Marquis and Marchiioness of Blandford, This Plate of o their Son ns, George Spencer, Earl of Sundeerland, and Lord Charles Sp pencer, Is with w Permissiion respectfullyy Dedicated by their Deevoted Servant, W W.W. Barneyy. 282.
Painted by R R. Cosway Esqq.r R.A. Engraaved by W. Whiston Barn rney. Pub: Seppt.r 14 1805, by b W. Barney,, No 3 Little G George St Wesstm.r. Mezzotint. 535 x 405mm (21 ( x 16"). Sm mall margins. £5220
28 84. Percy Honeywood H Courtenay Knight of Malta M &c. &cc. &c. Pu ublished by Henry H Ward, C Canterbury. Prrinted by Leefevre & Koh hler 52 Newmaan Str. Rare lithograph h. Sheet: 220 x 125mm (8½ ½ x 5''). Trrimmed. £130 A portrait of Jo ohn Nichols Toom (1799-183 38) who was kn nown by severral names, he was a Cornish h winemerchant m who re-invented r hiimself as Sir William W Peercy Honeywo ood Courtenayy, he took to wearing w ex xotic costumes and stood foor MP of Cantterbury in 18 832, though he was unsucceessful.. After being b co onvicted of peerjury after inttervening for some s sm mugglers he sp pent some tim me in a lunatic asylum.
After being rreleased he gaathered a group p of followerss which endedd in a confrontation with som me soldiers inn T was killeed. See 49949 Basseden woood in which Tom for coloured version. Stock: 49935
[Albeert Primrosee, Lord Dalm meny.]''In h his father's steeps''. Vanityy Fair. Sept..r 22.d 19044 285.
Vincent Broooks, Day & Soon Ltd. lith. Chromolithograph. Sheet: 380 x 250mm m (15 x 9¾''). £880 meny (1882A portrait off Albert Primroose, Lord Dalm x and Surrey 1974) who pllayed cricket for Middlesex counties. Suppplement to thhe magazine Vanity V Fair.
89. Miss Sc cott as Blackk Eyed Susa an. No.62. 28 Lo ondon, Pub.d by A. Park, 447 Leonard St.. Tabernacle Wall. W [n.d., c.18 830.] Hand-coloured H 10mm (9¾ x engraving. Shheet: 250 x 21 8¾ ¾''). Creasing and paper tonne. £190 A theatrical porrtrait of Miss Scott as Susan n in Douglas Jeerrold's nautical melodramaa 'Black Eyed Susan' which raan for over 400 0 performancees at the Surreey Theatre in 18 829. The play tells the storyy of Susan, thee wife of a saailor away at sea, s who is har arrased by her crooked laandlord and deebt collectors tthough her hu usband William W returnss to save the dday after much h drama. Prrints like this were w produceed to be decoraated with bits off foil, leather and a material ssold for the pu urpose.
[Scraapsheet with h Drawings of o Ballet Dancers.]
29 90. Talma.. J.P P. Davies del..t. Mrs. D. [Tuurner] aqua fo ort. [n.d., c.1820.] m (8 x 5¾''), with w large Ettching. Plate: 200 x 145mm margins. m £50 A portrait of Frrench actor Fra rancois Joseph h Talma (1 1763-1828).
Scrapsheet. S Sheet: 325 x 220mm 2 (12¾ x 8¾''). Tears.. £1880 ding amateur A scrapsheett with various scenes includ portraits of T Taglioni, Grisii, Cerrito and Lucile Grahn dancing. Stock: 50597
Liefe Iss Deathe andd Death is Liefe L Ætatis Su uæ XXXX. 1563. 29 91.
Im mprinted at Lo ondon, by Iohnn Day, dwelly yng ouer Aldergate A beneath Saint Marrtins. Cum graatia & Prrivilegio Regiæ Maiestatis pper Septenniu um. These Bookes are to be b solde at hyss shop under the t gate. 653. 16 Rare woodcut. Sheet: 240 x 1140mm (9½ x 5½''). Creasing, mark king and tippedd into album sheet. s Damage D and ho ole in plate in top, left corneer. £380 A portrait of Jo ohn Day, fronttispiece to Joh hn Foxe's 'A Acts and Monu uments' (Bookk of Martyrs) published p by Day D in 1563. Stock: 50524
287. Angiiola Bianchi.. Painted by I. Naish. Engraaved by G.S. Facius. F 00.] Published byy the Proprietoor. [n.d., c.180 Stipple. Sheeet: 175 x 120m mm (7 x 4¾''). Trimmed. £665 A portrait off Italian singerr Angiola Bian nchi.
29 92. Robertt Owen, Esq q. Pu ublished by J. Robins & Coo. London Aug g. 9. 1823. Rare engraving g. Sheet: 215 x 130mm (8½ x 5''). Repairs top righ ht. £85 A portrait of Welsh W textile m manufacturer, philanthropic p so ocial reformer and one of thhe founders off utopian so ocialism and th he cooperativee movement Robert R Owen (1 1771-1858). Stock: 50026
John n Clark and Thomas Grrimes, The Itinerant B Blind Fiddlerrs.
[Bosweell and the G Ghost of Sam muel Jo ohnson.] Th hou art a Reetailer of Ph hrases; [/] And A dost dea al in Remnannts of Remn nants. [/] Like L a Makerr of Pincushhions. Congrreve's Way off the World,, Act IV, Sceene 9.
Drawn by C. Carter. On sttone by G.C. Finden. F J.R. b H. Hardacrre, Hadleigh. Jobbins, Lithho. Published by [n.d., c.1830.] 5mm (9½ x A very rare lithograph. Shheet: 240 x 245 med, £2330 9¾''). Trimm A portrait off two blind fidddlers seated upon u wooden seats.
Pu ublsihed June 1: 1803, by C C. Bestland, West W End Hampstead. H Sttipple. Sheet: 275 x 200mm m (10¾ x 8''). Trimmed T within w plate. £240 A comical scen ne showing thee ghost of Sam muel Johnson ap ppearing to hiss biographer JJames Boswelll (174017 795).
Mr. & Mrs. Cau udle. ''Whatt Mr. Caudle? Yoou'll have a separate ro oom? You'll not be torm mented in th his manner? No you won n't Sir_not wh hile I'm alivee'' Vide Pun nch. 294.
[n.d., c.1845.] Sheet: 115 x 150mm (4½ x 6''). Marking. Engraving. S £1330 was the most famous creation of the Mrs Caudle w playwright annd journalist Douglas D Williiam Jerrold (1803-1857).. 'Mrs Caudle''s Curtain Lecctures were serialized in 'Punch' in 18445, and Thack keray wrote thhat o Cockney ‘Almost all thhe events andd perplexities of domestic ecoonomy pass beefore her’, wro ote Thackerayy of the characcter, ‘and … a student in thee twentieth century may get out of herr lectures as acccurate picturres g out of the pictures p of of London liffe as we can get Hogarth’ (W W. M. Thackeraay, Contributions to the ‘Morning Chhronicle’, ed. G. G N. Ray, 1955, 94). Stock: 50404
A satirical printt showing threee men celebrrating the bu urning down of o the Albion M Mills on 2nd March 1791. It opened in 1786, with steam m-powered en ngines that were w so effectiv ve it caused alll the other loccal mills to cllose. The virtu ual monopoly of flour produ uction was bllamed for the high price of bbread, so wheen the mill bu urned down th here was wideespead celebraation, esspecially as th he other mills rre-opened and d gave em mployment to the locals. Thhe fire was so famous that it is recorded ass 'Fire in Londdon', by Rowllandson and ugin in one off the plates in Ackermann's 'Microcosm Pu off London'. BM M Satire 8022. Stock: 50629
29 97. [Fight in i a Bookshhop.] [n n.d., c.1800.] Ettching. Sheet: 120 x 175mm m (4¾ x 7''). Trimmed. T Fo olds very neattly repaired. £95 A scene in a bo ookshop showi wing two men fighting f with caanes, books, wigs w and hats llittered at theiir feet. Stock: 50293
29 98. Monstr rous good diinner. [n n.d., c.1800.] Rare hand-colo oured etching. Sheet: 105 x 170mm (4 x 6¾ ¾''). Trimmed d and laid on aalbum sheet. £60 A comic scene showing threee monsters sittting in a cave an nd picking at the t bones of a carcase on th he ground. Stock: 50282
295. [Major Lord Henry Arthur George Somerset.]'''Podge''. Vanity V Fair. Nov.r 19 1887. Vincent Broooks, Day & Soon, Lith. Chromolithograph. Sheet: 400 x 255mm m (15¾ x 10'') , with large maargins. Verticcal creasing. £550 A caricature portrait of Maajor Lord Hen nry Arthur George Someerset (1851-19926), head of the stable of tthe future King E Edward VII annd a major in the Royal Horse Guardds. He was cauught up in the Cleveland St.. Scandal in w which a homo-sexual brothel was discovered by the police annd Somerset was w found to bbe was able to fleee abroad befo ore he was a patron, he w prosecuted. Stock: 50406
Confflagration! or o the Merry y Mealmongeers, A New dance, d as it was performed with Univerrsal Applau use, at the Theatre Blaackfriars March M 2.d 1794. 296.
Drawn by Coollage. Etch.d by Barlow. Publish'd P as thee Act directs, bby Bentley & Co., April 1.sst 1791. Engraving. S Sheet: 195 x 2220mm (7¾ x 8¾''). Trimmeed and laid on aalbum sheet. £1440
29 99. [Excise e and Tax.] J. Collier inv.t. Publish'd as tthe Act directss June 1773. m (5 x 8''), with h very large Ettching. Plate: 130 x 205mm margins. m Creasiing and foxingg. £130 A scene showin ng three figurees, on the left a seated fig gure places a heavy weightt labelled 'exciise' on the baack of an old man m with cruttches while haanding a letterr to o a third man with w a cane. Frrom 'Human Passions P Delineated' D by Tim T Bobbin, ppsuedonym fo or John Collier. BM Sattire Undescribbed. Stock: 50271
30 00. ''Do Yo ou Take In IIrons Sir?'' - ''We Take T In Flatss''. Hand-coloured H lithograph. Shheet: 140 x 16 65mm (5½ x 6½ ½''). Trimmed d. £65 A scene in a shop in which an old woman asks a sh hopkeeper abo out irons whilee a smiling maan watches th he scene amused. Stock: 50560
Fetchin ng the Midw wife. Who sn nuffs the ro oad home, and a with galllop tremend dous, Sh hakes the Country arouund...says th he Dame, ''L Lord defend d us! 30 01.
Pu ublished May 1821, by Thoo.s Mc.Lean, Hay H Market. Hand-coloured H aquatint. Platte: 170 x 230m mm (6¾ x 9''). Marking. Small S marginss. £95 A comic scene showing a farrmer riding a horse h and caarrying a stoutt midwife smooking a pipe. The moon haas a smiling faace. Stock: 50294
04. ''We ha ave the exhiibition to examine. 30 [W William Heath h.] Pub. by T. McLean 26 Haymarket H Lo ondon. etching, veryy fine colours. Plate: 260 x Hand-coloured H 37 75mm (10¼ x 14¾''), with llarge margins. Large tear in n right edge into image. Woorm hole. £280 A scene in an exhibition saloon in which sp pecatators struggle to see the t paintings tthrough the laarge crowd an nd enormous hats, h one disgrruntled man wipes w his heead in exasperration after hiss daughter triees to disuade hiim from leavin ng. Stock: 50372
Going Out O to Dinnner, or Rather Late th han Otherwiise. 30 05.
Eg go Del.t. Lond don, Publishedd by Tho.s McLean, 26, Haymarket, H 182 27. Hand-coloured H hatman, aquatint; wattermark J. Wh Tu urkey Mill. Sh heet: 255 x 2000mm (10 x 8''). Trimmed, staining. £160 A comical printt showing a daandy walking along a paavement wearing a tailored suit with a high collar and caarrying a cloak k. Stock: 50632
[Twoo scraps from m the title page of 'Mirtth versus Miseery: The Pleeasures of Human H Life. .. The Miseriies of Humaan Life' by Hilaris H Benevolus.]] 302.
Drawn by W W. Satchwell. Engraved E by W. W Bond. [London: Pubblished by Loongman, Hurstt, Rees & Orm me, Paternoster R Row, Februaryy 1807] Two scraps, stipples with hand h colour. Largest L 75 x 75mm (3 x 3"). Laid on albbum paper wiith a third £885 image. Two faces, ooriginally vignnettes on the tiitle page of a book by Johnn Britton. Thee first is a laug ghing man wiith uneven teethh, the second a sour face attaached to bat wing Cupid wings. The thhird is unrelatted scrap show firing an arroow at doves. See S BM 1977,U U.957 for the complete sheeet. Stock: 50082
303. [Bob Foster, the Cambridge e Flying Tonsor ego- Tonsoris op pem si forte Barber.] T requiras... I: Bearblock Kings Collegge Inv.t. I:K: Baldrey B Exc. [W. Mason.][n.d., c.1780.]] mm (9¼ x 6½'''). Trimmed, Stipple. Sheeet: 235 x 165m creasing. £1330 getically shavinng A comical prrint showing a barber energ a young mann in a chair whhile a master lo ooks on amussed from the dooorway. Engravved and publisshed in Cambridge. Stock: 49891
30 06. We're All A in the Suuds. [aafter Robert Dighton] Printeed for & Sold by Bowles & Carver. No. 69 9 St Pauls Chuurch Yard, Lon ndon. Publish'd as th he Act directs 4 June 1800] [P Mezzotint. M Sheet: 145 x 110m mm (5¾ x 4¼ ¼''). Trimmed in nside platemarrk, laid on albuum sheet. £130 Man M holding hiis shaving dishh in his left haand and the 'G Gazette Extrao ordinary' in hiss right. One off many 'droll' mezzotints m in ro oundels madee from the desiigns of Robert Dighton n (1751-1814)) who, after th he death of Jo ohn Collet in 1780, 1 became the foremost designer of su uch images. Stock: 50399
A Natio on & her MM-n-t-r's. Wiilson sout déélivrer une Noble N victim me Burdett, Hobhouse, Holland, H sauv vez Napoléoon, Arrachezz-le aux to ourmens de l'exécrable H Hudson, Veengez l'h honneur An nglais flétri ppar un gran nd Crime Et sa auvez Albion n sur le Borrd de l'Abêm me!!! 30 07.
Pu ub.d by Millev ville Hampsteead. [n.d., c.18 820.] Rare engraving g. Sheet: 125 x 180mm (5 x 7''). Laid on allbum sheet. £160 A satirical, allegorical print ssupporting thee liberation off Napoleon N from his island priison of St Helena. Britannia stands gazing towaards a large rock which H Wellinngton and otheer ministers reepresents St. Helena, stand on the island with the ffigure of Liberty. On the rig ght a Caliban--like creature sits playing with w a figure off Napoleon an nd on the left ttwo angels carrry the po ortrait of Queeen Caroline. T The print also refers to Sir Robert Wilson's rescue of Naapoleonic gen neral and po olitician who escaped e execuution and travelled to Greatt Britian followin ng the Bourboon restoration.. Central gures hold ban nners "Magnaa Ch? Liberty of Napoleon fig reeform" BM Satire 14050. Stock: 50507
The G Ghost of Eu ustace Budgeel Esq.r to th he *Man in Bllue Most Hu umbly Inscrib'd To His Royal High hness the Prrince of Wales. *See thee Chinese Orrphan a Traagedy for thee Reason off this Term. 308.
Designed by N.S. Engraveed by G.S. Printed for Elizaa P Covent Garden and Haywood at Fame in the Piazza Printsellers annd Pamphlet Shops of Londoon Sold by the P and Westminnster according to Act of Paarliament. [n.dd., c.1742.] ½x A scarce etchhed broadside. Sheet 420 x 490mm (16½ 19¼"). Trimm med to printedd border, wearr to edges, damp stains, laid on card. £3660 A satire on thhe fall of Robert Walpole (1676-1745), thhe de facto first Prime Ministter of Great Brritain, caused by the naval disaster at thee Battle of Carrtagena de d not want to Indias, foughht in a war thaat Walpole did start. The sceenes are surrouunded by versse and music. The left-handd scene has Frrederick, Princce of Wales, standing withh his coterie, pointing p towards George II who embracees Britannia. In I the bottom left Walpole iis grotesque, w with five handss, each holding g a bag of French or Sppanish gold, onne lettered ''I am a Lord Corruption''. In the backgrround are the leaders l of the mpotence. Cartagena exxpedition, dispplaying their im The right hannd scene has Walpole W Walp pole recoiling from the ghoost of Eustace Budgell who holds out a paper describbed in the versses to left as a ''black Account... F Full twenty Wiinters of Misd deeds''. Budgeell (1686-1737) was an MP annd writer who o lost a fortunee H spent the reest of his life in the South Sea Bubble. He blaming Wallpole for his woes, w before committing suicide whenn accused of foorging the willl of Dr Matthew Tinndal, the influeential deist author. He threw w himself out oof a boat at Loondon Bridge and was sweppt away throughh the rapids caaused by the narrow n archess. Although he is depicted ass a ghost here,, this pre-datess M Satire 2555; this examplee his death by five years. BM has the 17422 date and pricce of 1s removved. Stock: 50622
Dunccombe's Min niature Cariicature Magazine. No.3. A Caase of Consciience; or thee Manager aand Glassbloowers. 309.
T. Jones fec.tt. London Pubblished by Du uncombe, Bookk & Music Selller, 19, Little Queen Str.t. Holborn. H Fine hand-cooloured etchinng. Plate: 130 x 165mm (5 x 6½''), with veery large marggins. £1330 A satirical prrint showing a group of glasssblowers at a protest, all w wear sashes andd carry glass baubles b on poles. Stock: 50630
The ttrial of Mr. Cumberlan nd for spreading tthe Distemp per among th he horned Cattle at Stt. Albans & other Partss 310.
Engrav'd for the Oxford Magazine. M [n.d d., c.1770.] Plate: 110 x 1770mm (4¼ x 6¾''), 6 with largge Engraving. P margins. Trim mmed. £775 An satirical pprint representting the Courtt of King's Bench duringg the trial of thhe Duke of Cu umberland forr criminal convversation withh Lady Grosveenor, see "Thee
F Duuke of Cumberrland. The Trrial of Henry Frederick, majority m have animal a heads. BM Satire 44 401. Stock: 50375
31 11. The Du uke of B_d'ss Reception at Exeter. Murgo-resky M Fu uergrock inv. delin sc. [176 69.] En ngraving. Platte: 120 x 180m mm (4¾ x 7''). Damage allong lower edg ge. £120 A satirical scen ne showing thee Duke of Bed dford passing th he doors of Ex xeter Cathedraal followed by y a shouting mob m of inhabitaants of the cityy. Some of crrowd seem to bee holding crick ket bats. BM SSatire 4302. Stock: 50374
A Fanccy Sketch Shhewing a select sp peciment of the Cross-P Palpable. 31 12.
H.B. H [John Doy yle.] Publishedd by Thos. MccLean 26 Haymarket H Aug gust 11th 18344. Liithograph. Sheeet: 285 x 4100mm (11¼ x 16''). 1 Staining on n left. £90 A political satirre showing poolitical opponeents Daniel O'Connell O and Lord L Althorp engaged in a boxing match, m other po oliticians watcch and cheer on o the fight while w John Bull holds the waatch. A comm mentary on O'Connell O and Lord L Althorp''s positions on n the Irish Tiithe Bill. Stock: 50111
31 13. The Seige of Warw wick-Castle; or The Battle B betweeen the Fellow ws & Licencciates. [O Oxford Magazzine. 1768.] En ngraving. Platte: 110 x 190m mm (4¼ x 7½ ½''). Small margins m on 3 siides. £130 A satirical printt showing a baattle between Fellows of th he College of Physicians P andd Scots led by y the Earl of Bute. The argum ment is basedd on the idea of the healing po ower of the king, Stuart suppporters arguin ng that the ab bility ended with w the Stuart kings and thu us the Hannovarians H would w not posssess the abilitty. BM Satire 41 173. Stock: 50373
The Op peration. Thhe Blood & Vitals from m heer Wounds he drew, Annd Fed the Hounds H thatt heelp'd him to o pursue. Drryden. 31 14.
[1 1773] En ngraving. Platte: 190 x 125m mm (7½ x 5''). Small margins m on 3 siides. £130
Britannia sinnks to the grouund, with bloo od gushing froom wounds in heer chest and coollected into a bowl. A minister stannds over her with w a dagger poised p to strikke again. Satire on British politics publisheed in the 'Oxford Maggazine', alterinng a plate first issued in 17668 to reflect more recent evennts. On the rig ght in the background, a generic law wyer (originally y Lord B (originallly Mansfield) hhands a bowl to the earl of Bute Pitt the Elderr). In the foregground, sitting g on the steps and drinking greedily, is Lord L Talbot. BM B Satires 51227 Stock: 50376
The T Tree of Corruption. Du uke of Gloucester, Duk of Cu umberland, Duke D of Wellington n, Marquis of o Londondeerry, Marqu uis of Chandoss, L.d Wharrncliffe, L.d Eldon, Sir Rob.t Peel, Sir Cha.s Wetherell. W 315.
H.H. [Henry Heath] No 8. Printed by W. W Clerk 41 Soho. Publishhed by S.W. Fo ores, 41 Dean Street S Piccadilly Noov.r 1831. Lithograph. P Printed area 380 x 250mm, 15 x 9¾"). £1660 Trimmed to bborder. Satire of the impending Reefom Act of 1832, with a l 'Reforrm Bill' againsst man wieldingg a machette labeled a tree riddledd with fungi annd infested wiith frogs and snakes. In thee branches aree hidden the profiles p of the members of tthe government listed in thee title. Stock: 50141
316. Lovee. Pub. June 4. 1810, by Edw w.d Orme, Lon ndon. Hand-coloured engraving. 'J. Whatman Turkey Mill m (6¼ x 8½''). 1825'. Plate: 160 x 215mm £1330 wing an old man, m with tearss in his eyes A scene show standing befoore a young prretty woman, behind the oldd man is a smilling black maan. Stock: 50631
Wants a Situatioon. A Respeectable Middle Ageed Man wan nts a Place in n some Law w Office the E Exchequer would w be Prrefer'd_ He can speak F French & haas no objecttion to makee himself gen nerally Usefu ful... 317.
Published byy G.S. Tregearr, 96 Cheapsid de. [n.d., c.1830.] Sheet: 355 x 260mm 2 (14 x 10¼''). Lithograph. S £1440 Trimmed. g at want ads. A satirical prrint showing a man looking Stock: 50467
318. Docto or Syntax with w the Bookseller. Drawn & Etcch'd by Rowlaandson. Londo on Pub. Aug.t 16. 1813 at R R. Ackermannn's Repository of Arts 101 Strand. S 145 x 23 30mm (5¾ x Hand-coloured aquatint. Sheet: £775 9''). D Syntax in a bookshop, A comic scenne showing Dr behind him a man knocks several bookss from a shelf onto the headd of another annd in the room m beyond a woman naps while holdingg a glass of wine, from o Doctor Synttax'. BM Satirre Rowlandson''s 'The Tour of 11686. Stock: 50415
31 19. Doctor Syntax at C Covent Gard den Theatre. T Drawn D & Etch'd d by Rowlanddson. London Pub. Aug.t 16 6. 1813 at R. Ackermann's A R Repository off Arts 101 Sttrand. Hand-coloured H aquatint. Sheeet: 145 x 230m mm (5¾ x 9''). £75 A scene showin ng Dr Syntax iin the audiencce at Covent Garden G Theatree, from Rowlaandson's 'The Tour T of Doctor D Syntax'.. BM Satire 111687. Stock: 50414
32 20. A Bit of Flattery. Williams W fecit. Pub.d Septem m.r 1811 by Th ho.s Tegg 11 11 Cheapside London. Hand-coloured H etching. Sheeets: 235 x 335mm (9¼ x £160 13 3¼''). Trimmeed, damage in plate. A satirical printt which showss a flatterer co omplimenting a large woman on a portrait oof her as Hebee. Stock: 50561
32 21. Frontisspiece and itts Explanatiion. The Basso B Releivo o, on the Peddestal, Reprresents the geeneral Desig gn, of Mr. B Butler, in his In ncomparable Poem, of H Hudibras... W. W Hogarth Inv ven. & sculp. PPrinted & sold d by P. Overton O near St. Dunstans C Church in Fleett Street. [n.d., c.1726.] ngraving. Platte: 265 x 350m mm (10½ x 13 3¾''). En Trrimmed to plaate, slight losss at edge on left. £180 Th he frontispiece to Samuel B Butler's poem 'Hudibras' which w satirised roundheads, ppuritans and presbyterians. p BM M Satire 504. Stock: 50382
32 22. The Do octor's Dreaam. Plate 27 7. Design'd D & Etch'd by Rowlan andson. [London, Publish'd 1 May 1812, at R. Ackermannn's Repositorry of Arts, 01 Strand.] 10 Fiine hand-colou ured aquatint.. Sheet: 140 x 235mm (5½ £85 x 9¼''). Dr D Syntax sleep ps in an armchhair in a librarry. A view of Lo ondon hangs on o the wall beehind him. Book with hu uman heads an nd dolphin-esqque tails fly around a the ro oom and engag ge in combat aabove his head; those less fo ortunate lie falllen on the flooor, from The Tour of Dr. Sy yntax in Searcch of the Pictuuresque. This was a co ollaboration between Williaam Combe, Th homas Rowlandson, an nd Ackermannn and was thee first of threee "ttours". See BM M Satires: 121163. Stock: 50462
32 28. Skeleto on of the Sibberian Mammouth. Sk keleton of th he South Am merican Mammouth. [n n.d., c.1820.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 130m mm (8¼ x 5'')). £75 Tw wo diagrams of o skeletons oon plinths of mammouths. m Th he first fully document d speccimen of a maammouth was fo ound in 1728 by b a Siberian hhunter and reccovered by Michael M Friedriich Adams. Stock: 49585
Baillièrre's Popularr Atlas of the Anatomy an nd Physiology of the Feemale Huma an Body. With W Descrip ptive Text byy Hubert E.J. Bliss M.A., M M.D., Cantab. C Thiird edition. 32 29.
323. Rura al Sports. Pllate 20. Drawn & Etcch'd by Rowlaandson. Londo on Pub. Aug.t 16 1813, at R R. Ackermannn's Repository of Arts 101 Strand. 0 x 235mm (5½ ½ Fine hand-cooloured aquatiint. Sheet: 140 x 9¼''). £660 n and women A satirical prrint showing a group of men dancing befoore a cottage, another a group sit on benchees, on the right D Dr Syntax playys a fiddle. Frrom 'The Tourr of Dr. Syntaxx in Search off the Picturesq que, this was a collaborationn between Willliam Combe, Thomas Rowlandson,, and Ackermaann and was the first of thrree "tours". Stock: 50463
324. The C Comet of 18811. [n.d., c.1820.] Sheet: 110 x 130mm (4¼ x 5''). Creasing in Engraving. S right corner. £775 wing the Greatt Comet of 1811 which wass A view show visible for arround 260 dayys. The comet had an impacct on non-astronnomers such as a John Linnell and William m Blake and waas seen as a poortent to Napo oleon's invasioon of Russia andd the War of 1812. 1 Becausee 1811 was suuch a good year ffor wine, mercchants marketted 'comet winne' for years afteerwards. Stock: 49581
325. Luna ar Rainbow seen Oct. 18 810. [n.d., c.1820.] Sheet: 110 x 130mm (4¼ x 5''). £775 Engraving. S A view of a llunar rainbow w which appearred at around 10pm in Milbbrook near Soouthampton. Stock: 49582
Atmoospherical Phenomena P of the Mock k Suns. Page 184. 326.
[n.d., c.1820.] Sheet: 210 x 130mm (8¼ x 5''). £775 Engraving. S An illustratioon of the atmoospherical optiical phenomenonn which gives the impression of the sun. Stock: 49586
327. The C Chemist. [n.d., c.1800.] Woodcut, wiith four sheetss of letterpresss. Sheet: 150 x 90mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. £990 y A scientist hoolding a phiall aloft with a young apprentice beeside him. witth text. Stock: 50496
Pllates by Georg ges M. Dupuyy., M.D. Lond don: Ballière, Tiindall & Cox, 7 & 8 Henrieetta Street, Covent Garden, 19 942 (Reprinted). Taall folio, origiinal illustratedd boards; pp. (ii)+ ( 24 + (1 1)(ads); five ch hromolithograaphic plates on n one folding sh heet, as called for. A few siggns of wear. £220 Fiive anatomicaal illustrations,, one with oveerlays. Mounted M into th he book and fo folded, the plaates appear ou ut of order. In nterestingly, while w the atlas of the male body has a ph hoto-realistic illustration i off a man wearin ng a loincloth on n the front boaard, this volum me prudishly has h a marble statue of Venuss. Stock: 50438
Baillièrre's Popularr Atlas of the Anatomy an nd Physiology of the Maale Human Body. With W Descrip ptive Text byy Hubert E.J. Bliss M.A., M M.D., Cantab. C Thiird edition. 33 30.
Pllates by Georg ges M. Dupuyy., M.D. Lond don: Ballière, Tiindall & Cox, 7 & 8 Henrieetta Street, Covent Garden, 19 942 (Reprinted). Taall folio, origiinal illustratedd boards; pp. 27; 2 eight pllates, as called d for. A few siigns of wear. £220 Eiight anatomical illustrationss, with a photo-realistic illlustration of a man wearingg a loincloth on the front bo oard. Stock: 50439
Perspecctive View oof the Bridge in Course off Constructiion over thee Thames near Chelsea Hospital. H Un nder the direection of thee Commissione C ers of Woodds. 1851. 33 31.
Th hos. Page Civ vil Engineer. SStandidge & Co. C Litho. Old Jeewry. [1851.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 330 x 5400mm (13 x 21¼''). Two £240 veertical creasess and tears in eedges. A plan of Victo oria Bridge, thhe old Chelseaa bridge which w crossed the t Thames too the East of th he Chelsea Hospital, H design ned by Thomaas Page. The bridge b was started in 1851 and was openned on 31st March M 1858 by Queen Q Victoriaa. The bridge w was replaced in i the 1930s by y the current Chelsea C Bridgge. Stock: 50557
332. [Edy ystone Light--house.] This Draughtt was made & Engraven by y Henry Winstanley oof Littlebury Gen.t G and is So old at his Waterworks:: where also iss to be seen att any time ye R for sixx modle of ye ssaid Building & Principal Rooms, pence a peicee. [Littlebury: Henry Winsttanley, c.17000. ] Rare etching, lower sheet of o two only. 510 5 x 700mm i edges a little worn. (20 x 27¾"). Trimmed to image, £8550 Some small lloss. The bottom ssheet of a two sheet illustrattion of the firsst Eddystone Lighthouse, draawn, etched an nd published bby Henry Winsttanley, the dessigner and buiilder of the lighthouse. Itt shows the ligghthouse up to o the gallery, with the crannes needed to transfer t peoplle from boats tto the rock. An inscription onn the side of th he lighthouse Pharon Designnavit et struxit H. Winstanleey reads 'Hanc P de Littleburyy In Com. Esseex Gent. Anno o Dom 1699.' Winstanley ((1644-1703) was w a painter who w is said to have learnedd etching from m Wenceslaus Hollar. H In thee 1690s he opeened an amuseement arcade in Piccadilly, ''Winstanley's Water-workks'' (mentioned d in the advertt m of this print)) filled with au utomata of hiss at the bottom own design. Having made a fortune he became b a merchant, buut when two of his ships weere wrecked onn the Eddystonne Rocks, he funded f the buiilding of the first recordedd offshore lighhthouse. If buiilding a towerr on a featureleess rock was not n hard enough, during thee construction the enterprisee was attacked d by a French privateer andd destroyed in 1697, with Winstanley W takken into captivityy. However Loouis XIV ordeered his releasse, stating 'Francce is at war with England, not n with humanity', alllowing Winsttanley to comp plete the structure in 11698. In 1703 Winstanley was w overseeingg some repairs when the Greeat Storm of 1703 hit and both Winstannley and his liighthouse werre swept awayy. Rare: the BM M example is a later state deescribing the 1703 disasterr.
Darlington D Railway R Co. bby Jas. Dixo on their asssistant Eng gineer. Drawn D by J. Dixon. Engraved ed by W. Milleer. [n.d., c.1830.] ng with hand--colour. Plate: 455 x Sccarce engravin 55 50mm (18 x 21½''). Repaireed tear on righ ht. £450 A plan of the raailway bridge over the Teess, designed byy Saamuel Brown it was the firsst suspension bridge for raailway carriages. Originallyy the railway company c had wanted w to build d a traditional stone bridge but b the sh hipping compaanies rejected the idea as it would stop sh hips sailing do own the river. The brdge waas started in 18 828 and openeed on 27th Deecember 1830. It was reeplaced 14 yeaars later. Stock: 49604
33 35. [A winc ch ferry.] N No VIII. H G Exc. [Leip pzig: Henning Grosse, c.161 14.] En ngraving. 130 0 x 145mm (5¼ ¼ x 5¾"), witth large margins. m Moun nted on 17th ceentury album paper at co orners. Time stained. £140 An A illustration of a winch ferrry buoyed by y barrels, one off the 152 platees in Heinrichh Zeising's 'Theatri machinarum...', m , the first Germ man book on machines. m Stock: 49764
The S Severn Brid dge As it willl appear froom Gatcomb w with Sharpness Point an nd Docks in the Distancce. 333.
Waterlow & Sons, Londonn. [n.d., c.1875.] Rare tinted liithograph. Prinnted area 315 x 625mm (122½ x 24½"), withh very large margins. m £4880 A view of thee proposed brridge carrying the railway across the Riiver Severn beetween Sharpn ness and Lydney, Glouucestershire, built b 1875-9 by b the Severn Bridge Railw way Company. The twenty-one bowstringg spans were thhe work of Haamilton's Windsor Ironworkks Company Lim mited of Garsston, Liverpoo ol. The bridgee was demolishhed in 1967 affter barges craashed into thee bridge causinng structural damage. d Stock: 49575
The S Stockton an nd Darlingto on Railway Suspension n Bridge erected over th he River Teees near Stocktton by Sam..l Brown Esq.r R.N. being the fiirst applicattion of a Briidge of Suspension n for the sup pport and co ontinuation oof the Railwayy. This Enggraving is by y permission n most respecctfully Inscrribed to the Stockton an nd 334.
33 36. [A liftin ng crane.] N No XXI. H G Excud. [Leeipzig: Henninng Grosse, c.1 1614.] En ngraving. 125 x 145mm (5 x 5¾"), with very large margins. m Time stained. £130 An A illustration of a wooden ccrane, with lifft gained by a sccrew thread tu urned by two m men. One O of the 152 plates in Heinnrich Zeising's 'Theatri machinarum...', m , the first Germ man book on machines. m Stock: 49766
33 37. [A horsse-drawn waater pump.] No 4. [L Leipzig: Henning Grosse, c..1614.] En ngraving. 125 x 145mm (5 x 5¾"), with large margins. m Time stained. £140 An A illustration of a water-pum mp (tympanum m), with a wheel w lifting th he water drivenn by horse-powered gears. One O of the 152 plates in Heinnrich Zeising's 'Theatri machinarum...', m , the first Germ man book on machines. m Stock: 49765
The IInside of a Smelting S Ho ouse, at Broseley, S Shropshire.
Cries of Londo on' between 17792 and 1795 and the 'C seeries became very v popular.
G. Robertsonn Pinxit, Wilsoon Lowry Scu ulpsit. Publishhed February 1st. 1788 by Johnn & Josiah Bo oydell, No.90 London. Cheapside, L Engraving. 4405 x 560mm (16 x 22"). Many M tiny wormholes, tthread marginns. £3660 A detailed sccene of the sm melting house of o Broseley, thhe famous iron w works in Shroopshire where, in 1709, Abraham Daarby (1678-1717) first smeltted iron ore with coke, ann innovation thhat kick-starteed the Industriial Revolution bby considerablly reduced thee coast of making iron.
34 42. Water Carrier &c.. Ettched by R.B. Peake. Publisshed for Williiam Fearman, Liibrary, New Bond B Street, Jaan.y 1819. Hand-colouered H d aquatint. Plaate: 215 x 250 0mm (8½ x 9¾ ¾''). Trimmed d. £80 A scene in a French sheet shoowing two nu uns walking side by side, a man m draggingg a cart with a water barrel nd other streett traders. Advvert for dentistt on wall "La an Prresle Dentiste".
North h West Aspect of Lackiington, Allen n & Co.s Tem mpel of the Muses, M Finsbury Square._Th he Finest Sh hop in the World; W beingg 140 feet in Front. 339.
[n.d., c.1810.] mm Etching, 18thh century wateermark. Sheett: 205 x 245mm (8 x 9¾''), wiith very large margins. Creaases as normaal £1440 James Lackinngton (1746 - 1815) rose from selling meeat pies at ten annd taking an appprenticeship to a shoemakker at 14. In 1773 he went to London L to make his fortunee a shoemakeer. and set up ass a very humblle bookseller and By 1775 he hhad establisheed his cheap ciirculating library, helpeed by his secoond wife, Dorccas Turton, following theeir marriage inn 1776. In 178 89, he moved to The Temple of the Muses in Finsbury Square, S purposse built by Georrge Dance, takking Robert Allen A into partnership inn 1793. Stock: 50274
E.E. Leggatt. From Messrs Agnew A &
Sons. Frank Paton 1884. [signedd in pencil.] Rare etching. Plate: 190 x 260mm (7½ x 10¼''), withh £1990 large marginns. Slight foxinng. wo large men inn A night scene in Cheapsidde in which tw mour and laurel wreaths, and d a winged classical arm figure with a scythe, standd outside a finee art gallery. One of the laarge figures chhases a policem man down thee street. Stock: 50402
Prem miere Suite de d Cris et Diivers Marchandss de Petersb bourg et de Moscou M Dessinés d''Après Natu ure. Le Marrchand de Gateau. Deediée a Mr Chardin C Pein ntre du Roi Conseiller eet Trésorierr de son Aca ademie Royale de P Peintre et dee Sculpture.. Par son trèès Humble et très Obiessaant Serviteu ur Le Princee. 341.
J.B. Le Princce 1765. Etching. Platte: 220 x 180m mm (8¾ x 7''),, with large margins. £1440 wing a cake seeller from Moscow, from a A scene show series showinng various meerchants and trradesmen in Moscow andd St Petersbergg. Series show wing city tradesmen w were popular inn the eighteentth century. Francis Wheatley exhibiteed his series off oils called
34 43. Coachm maker. Lo ondon, Publish'd by Tabartt & Co. Aug. 11. 1 1804. En ngraving. Sheeet: 150 x 90m mm (6 x 3½''). Slight fo oxing. £45 A coachmaker working in hiis workshop. Stock: 50489
34 44. The Co onfectioner. [n n.d., c.1810.] Woodcut, W with two sheets off letterpress. Sheet: S 150 x 90 0mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. £65 A confectionary y shop in whicch a woman and a a child ch hoose treats while w a womann weighs them m out, with teext. Stock: 50500
34 45. The Go old Beater. [n n.d., c.1810.] Woodcut, W with three sheets oof letterpress. Sheet: 150 x 90 0mm (6 x 3½''). £60 A gold beater working w at a pi piece of gold with w a large haammer, with text. Stock: 50499
346. The M Mathematiccal Instrumeent Maker. [n.d., c.1800.] mm (6 x 3½'')). Foxing. £665 Woodcut. Shheet: 150 x 90m A man exam mining a a colleection of math hematical instruments. Stock: 50494
347. The M Musical Insttrument Ma aker. [n.d., c.1800.] Woodcut, wiith seven sheeets of letterpress. Sheet: 1500 x 90mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. £995 n a harp, with A musical innstrument makker working on text. Stock: 50495
348. The J Jeweller. [n.d., c.1810.] Woodcut, wiith four sheetss of letterpresss. Sheet: 150 x 90mm (6 x 3½''). £995 working at his bench, b with teext. A jeweller w Stock: 50498
349. The P Potter. [n.d., c.1810.] Sheet: 150 x 90mm (6 x 3½''). £660 Engraving. S A potter worrking in his woorkshop with two t apprenticces spinning the potters wheell.
35 53. Lithogr raphy Plate.. 88. Chalk Drawing The T Old Tow wer of Oxforrd Castle. Drawn D on Stone by I. Baker. Printed by D. Redman. Oxford. O Printed d by I. & T. Baartlett, for T, Kelly Lo ondon 1821. Rare lithograph h. 1818 Waterm rmark. Sheet: 270 2 x 20 05mm (10½ x 8''). Paper tonne. £240 A page from a book b on printiing techniques, this plate fo ocussing on th he process of liithography. Stock: 50396
A journ neyman prinnters description of the arrt of Etching g on Copperr. 35 54.
Ettched by Georrge Cruikshannk when descrribing the prrocess of Etch hing at a ''Ham mpstead Conveersazione'' on th he 4th May 1859. A rare etching. Plate: 230 x 1150mm (9 x 6''), 6 with large margins. m Foxing, creasing annd marking. £260 A very rare prin nt produced foor distribution n amongst the au udience of his lecture in Ham ampstead. In th he image, the prrinter points to o a copper plaate etched with h the portrait off a man, most likely Georgee Cruikshank. Cohn 1268. Stock: 50400
350. Trun nk Maker. [n.d., c.1818.] with two sheetts of letterpresss. Sheet: 150 x Engraving, w 90mm (6 x 3½''). £775 m in his workshop, w An illustratioon of a trunk maker working on a trunk, with text. Stock: 50487
351. Watcch Maker. [n.d., c.1800.] Sheet: 150 x 90mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. Engraving. S £1220 A watch makker working inn his workshop. Stock: 50491
Interrior of the Copper C & Brrass Works belonging tto W.m & Russell R Pontiifex, & E. Goldwin, N No. 46, 47 & 48 Shoe La ane. 352.
Drawn & Pubblish'd, by Pyyne, & Nattes. J. Hill Aquatinta. [cc.1806.] Bit laater. Very scarce aaquatint. 310 x 380mm (12¼ x 15"). Smaall margins. Craack in top plattemark, creasee across tip off top right cornner £2880 Unusual interior view of thhe coppersmitths, founders m and Russell and copper pplate makers ruun by William Pontifex andd Edward Golddwin on Shoe Lane, which i central runs betweenn Holborn andd Fleet Street in London. Thee business soldd copper platees which in thee early 19th ceentury were stiill widely used d by printmakers. Stock: 50670
35 55. Hair dr resser. Lo ondon Pub. by y Tabart & Coo. Sep. 14. 180 08. En ngraving, with h three sheets of letterpress. Sheet: 150 x 90mm (6 x 3½ ½''). Foxing. £60 A barber combiing the hair off a man readin ng a paper, with w text. Stock: 50497
35 56. The Ap pothecary. [n n.d., c.1820.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 150 x 90m mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. £70 An A apothecary using a mortaar and pestle in n his shop. Stock: 50492
35 57. Baker [n n.d., c.1800.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 150 x 90m mm (6 x 3½''). Foxing. £45 A baker kneading dough in hhis bakery. Stock: 50493
Criess of London Plate 13. Tu urnips & Carrots. 358.
Painted by F. Wheatley R..A. Engraved d by T. Gaugaiin. d May 1, 1797, by London Pub'd as the Act directs 1 Pall Mall.. Colnaghi, Saala & Co. No 132 Stipple. 410 x 330mm (16 x 13"). Narro ow margins. £2440 urnips, behindd A vegetable seller holdingg a bunch of tu bles, and a her an ass ladden with baskkets of vegetab young man. o London' The final plaate from the faamous 'Cries of series after paintings by Frrancis Wheatley (17471801). Stock: 50661
359. [Balllet Scene.] [n.d., c.1840.] Rare hand-cooloured etchinng with tinsel decoration. Sheet: 150 x 185mm (6 x 7¼''). 7 Laid on n card, central vertical creasse. £1660 A theatre sceene showing five fi ballerinas in costume, thhe print has beeen decorated with w glitter. Stock: 50634
36 62. Caleb Baldwin. B Pu ublished by Jo ohn McGowann, G.t Windm mill S.t . Sttipple. 190 x 110mm 1 (7½ x 4¼"). Stained d. £70 Caleb Ramsbotttom (1769-18827), aka Caleeb Baldwin, ghtweight bare-knuckle boxxer. lig Frrom John Bad dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50616
36 63. Brough hton, many yyears Cham mpion of England. E Pu ublished by J. McGowan, G G.t Windmill S.t S . Sttipple. Sheet 210 2 x 125mm (8¼ x 5"). Trrimmed within w plate, sm mall tear in bot ottom edge. £130 Half-length H porrtrait of John B Broughton (17 705-1789), po ossibly after John Ellys (17 01-57). As A a Thames Waterman, W he ffought a colleague so su uccessfully he turned professsional. He waas patronised by y the Duke of Cumberland, who procured d him a place in n the Yeomen of the Guard, but the relatio onship ended when w Broughto on lost a fight on which the Duke had wagered w £1000 0. At his funera ral his pall-beaarers includedd th he boxers Hum mphries, Menddoza, Big Ben n, Ward, Ryann an nd Johnston. Frrom John Bad dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50613
360. The G Greek Dancce. Printed in oill colours by G. G Baxter the in nventor and patentee. 11 & 12, Northam mpton Squaree. Licences Work the Proceess. [n.d., c.18 845.] Granted to W Baxter print, laid on card, with stamp. Sheet: S 120 x d. £1330 175mm (4¾ x 7''). Slightlyy time stained wing men andd women in Grreek costume A scene show dancing in a romantic landdscape with an ncient ruins. Stock: 50635
361. Mad.me Vestris as Orpheuss. Printed by M Maguire, Lemeercier & Co. London: L Published Auug. 28, 1832, by b Tho.s McL Lean 26, Haymarket. o backing paaper. Printed Lithograph oon india, title on area 330 x 2440mm (13 x 9½"). 9 Surface soiling. £2660 Lucia Elizabeth Vestris (1797-1856, graanddaughter oof ancesco Bartollozzi) in the 'b breeches' role of engraver Fran Orpheus in thhe pantomimee 'Olympic Deevils or Orpheeus and Eurydicee'. Orpheus is swimming accross the Riverr Styx, dressedd in a brief cosstume, calling g for Eurydicee. A success, thhe play ran forr 131 nights. Stock: 50675
36 64. [John Smith, S alias Buckhorse..] [aafter Daniel Dodd.] Publisheed by J. McGowan, Great Windmill W Streeet, 1825 [but 11826]. Sttipple. 160 x 100mm 1 (6¼ x 4"), large maargins. £130 Half-length H porrtrait of John SSmith, a.k.a. Buckhorse B (b boxer, fl.1720--50), adapted from the portrrait by Daniell Dodd. D He earneed his nicknam me riding for the t Duke of Queensberry, Q th he inveterate ggambler. In laater life, for a feew shillings Buckhorse wouuld allow peop ple to punch hiim in the head d as hard as the hey could, so such s a blow beecame known as a 'Buckhorrse'. Probably as a result off th hese blows, a common c expre ression of the period p was 'as ugly as Buck khorse'. dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Frrom John Bad Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50610
36 65. Tho.s Cribb. C En ng.d by Percy y Roberts from m a painting by y Sharples. Pu ublished by Sh herwood, Jonees & Co, May y 1. 1824. Sttipple. Sheet size: s 205 x 1355mm (8 x 5¼"). Trimmed in nside platemarrk. £65 A bust portrait of English bar are-knuckle bo oxer of the 19 9th century To om Cribb (17881 - 1848), dirrected to the leeft, facing the front, with hiss left fist raiseed in front of hiim. On 10th December D 18100, Cribb fought an
American, foormer slave Toom Molineaux x, at Sheningtton Hollow in Oxxfordshire. Crribb beat Moliineaux in 35 rounds and bbecame Worldd champion.
Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50621
Tom Jo ones, (Comm monly called d Paddington Jones.) J 36 69.
Pu ublished by J. McGowan, G G.t Windmill S.t S . Sttipple. Sheet 200 2 x 115mm (8 x 4½") Triimmed withinn pllate left and bo ottom. Staininng on left. £90 Paaddington Tom m Jones (17666-1833), activ ve as a barekn nuckle boxer from f 1785 to 1805, belived d to have fo ought more bo outs than any oother. In 1799 9 he lost to Jeem Belcher in the Middleweeight Champio onship of En ngland. Jones was elected tto the Internattional Boxing Hall H of Fame in n 2010. Frrom John Bad dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50614
366. W.m m Eales. Published byy J. McGowann, G.t Windmill S.t . Stipple. 200 x 120mm (8 x 4¾"). Trimm med within plaate £1330 at sides. Bill Eales, a carpenter, barre-chested, fissts raised. A dge of the sparring expeert with a supeerior knowled science, he spparred with Jeem Belcher an nd George Head, but maade only two prize p ring appearances, gaining an unnexpected winn against Jack k Lancaster in 1814 but losiing to Jack Sccroggins in 1815. From John B Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and Pugilists, froom the Days of Figg and Bro oughton, to thhe B an Operatorr'. Championship of Ward. By Stock: 50618
367. Harrry Holt. Published byy J. McGowann, G.t Windmill S.t Haymarket . Stipple. 180 x 110mm (7 x 4¼"). Small margins. £1330 Henry Josiahh Holt (1792-11844), 'The Ciicero of the Ring'. Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True From John B Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and Pugilists, froom the Days of Figg and Bro oughton, to thhe B an Operatorr'. Championship of Ward. By Stock: 50617
368. David d Hudson. [Published byy John McGowan, Great Windmill W Streeet, 1826.] med. £1330 Stipple. 200 x 120mm (8 x 4¾"). Trimm d. Brother of David Hudsoon, bare-chested, fists raised John Hudsonn. From John B Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and
37 70. George e Nichols. Pu ublished by J. McGowan, G G.t Windmill S.t S . Sttipple. Sheet 210 2 x 120mm (8¼ x 4¾"). Trimmed T within w plate at sides. s £130 George G Nicholss, a butcher fro rom Bristol, George G Nichols, N was th he only boxer tto defeat Tom m Cribb, after 52 2 rounds in 18 805. He returnned to his original trade andd many m accounts expunge his vvictory, descriibing Cribb ass undefeated. Frrom John Bad dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50615
37 71. Henry Pearce, scieentifically de enominated The T Game Ch hicken. Pu ublished by J. McGowan, G G.t Windmill S.t S . Sttipple. 200 x 120mm 1 (8 x 44¾"). Trimmed d within plate att sides. £130 Henry H Pearce (1777-1809), kknown as "Thee Game Chicken" probaably because hhe signed his name n "Hen" nstead of Henrry. The recognnised English Champion in from 1804 untill his retiremennt due to ill heealth in 1807, hee beat Jem Belcher in a Chaampionship deecider in 18 805. Frrom John Bad dcock's 'The Faancy; or The True T Sp portsman’s Gu uide: Being A Authentic Mem moirs of the Liives, Actions, Prowess, andd Battles of the Leading Pu ugilists, from the Days of FFigg and Broughton, to the Championship of Ward. By aan Operator'. Stock: 50619
37 72. [Bill Riichmond] Ri Richmond the Black. Pu ublished by J. McGowan, G Great Windmill Street [1 1826]. Sttipple. 195 x 120mm 1 (7¾ x 4¾"). Trimm med to image att sides. £190 Bill Richmond (1763-1829), born a slave on o Staten h early teenss a tavern braw wl with Issland, NY. In his
several Redccoats brought him to the atttention of British generral Earl Percy,, fighting con ntests arrangedd by Percy as eentertainment for his guestss. In 1777 Perccy sent Richmonnd to Englandd to apprenticee as a carpenteer, but he continnued to fight, beating b Georg ge Moore, Paddy Greenn and Frank Mayers, M but waas defeated byy Tom Cribb. H He then started training witth Thomas Molineaux, aanother freed slave, s and opeened a boxingg academy in L London . From John B Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and Pugilists, froom the Days of Figg and Bro oughton, to thhe B an Operatorr'. Championship of Ward. By
37 76. Foot Ba all. Rob.t Cruikshank Fecit. Eng .d by Geo. Hu unt. London, Pu ublished by Tho.s McLean,, 26, Haymark ket, 1827. Aquatint, A early impression. SSheet: 240 x 360mm 3 (9½ x 14 4''). Trimmed,, very slight fooxing, cornerss trimmed. £480 A scene showin ng a group of soldiers in a group, g pllaying football, some have ffallen over in the rush. Hickman H p.104. Stock: 50625
373. Jack Slack, the Conqueror C of o Broughtoon. Published byy J. McGowann, Great Windm mill Street . v large Stipple. 145 x 95mm (5¾ x 9¾"), with very mark. £1330 margins. Spliit in top platem Half-length pportrait of Johhn ‘Jack’ Slack k (c.1721-68),, aka the ‘Norffolk Butcher’ or ‘Knight off the Cleaver’.. A bare knucklee fighter, he was w the first boxer to beat Jac ack Broughton (aa fight on which it is rumou ured the Duke of Cumberland lost £1,000); and in 1754 he h beat Frenchman JJean Pettit, winnning what is regarded to bbe the first interrnational Heavvyweight fight. From John B Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and Pugilists, froom the Days of Figg and Bro oughton, to thhe B an Operatorr'. Championship of Ward. By Stock: 50611
374. Thom mas Spring, Champion of England.. [Published byy John McGowan, Great Windmill W Streeet, 1826.] med within plaate Stipple. 200 x 120mm (8 x 4¾"). Trimm £1330 at sides. 5-1851), an Tom Spring (born Thomass Winter, 1795 h English bare--knuckle fightter, who was heavyweight champion off England from m 1821 until his h retirement iin 1824. Badcock's 'Thee Fancy; or Th he True From John B Sportsman’s Guide: Beingg Authentic Memoirs M of thee a Battles of the Leading Lives, Actionns, Prowess, and Pugilists, froom the Days of Figg and Bro oughton, to thhe B an Operatorr'. Championship of Ward. By Stock: 50620
375. [Boyss Playing Crricket.] [n.d., c.1810.] 1 (3½ x 6½''). Rare etching. Sheet: 90 x 165mm £1440 Trimmed, reppaired tears. An exterior sscene showingg a group of boys playing cricket in a sheep field. Stock: 50055
[Norweegian Scene..] Skÿdsska affer 'Huis ha an skulle Kjjöre for hard rdt, skadet Du D ta Tömmene T fra a'n''. 37 77.
[n n.d., c.1860.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 180 x 2155mm (7 x 8½''). Creasing. £75 A scene showin ng a man talkiing to a young g boy and po ointing to a man in a very thhick fur coat standing s by a sled, behind theem two men sk ski down a hilll. Stock: 50520
[Excerccice de Frannconi. No 1.]] [&] [E Excercice dee Franconi. N No 2.] 37 78.
C. Vernet del. P.L. P Debucourrt sculp.t. Dèp posé à la periale. [n.d., c.1806.] Bibliotèque Imp A very scarce pair p of aquatinnts, proofs beffore titles. 44 40 x 530mm (17¼ ( x 20¾").. Repaired teaar to bottom off 'No 1'. Narro ow margins onn both. £2500 A pair of scenes of horse acro robat Antonio Franconi (1 1738-1836) baalancing on onne foot on his horse's back, an nd his female assistant doinng the same bu ut needing to ho old reins. When W the Engliish entrepreneeur Philip Astlley opened a Paarisian equestrrian theatre naamed Cirque Olympique O inn 17 782, matching g the success oof 'Astley's Am mphitheatre' in n London', Fraanconi joined uup, learned eq questrianism an nd performed in 'hippodram mas'. He took over o the management m off the Cirque O Olympique afteer Astley's deeath. Stock: 45211
No 5.. Cheval d'aaprès H. Verrnet. Étudess d'Animauxx d'après Naature, Lithog graphies auxx deux crayoons par Émille Lasalle. 379.
New York _ Goupil Vilbert & Co. 289 Broadway. B C Editeurs, Boulev' Paris _ Gouppil Vilbert & C.ie Montmatre, 119 et rue d'Ennghien, 12. Lon ndon _ E. Gambart & C Co., 25 Bernieers St, Oxford St. [n.d., c.1860.] with fine handd colour. Sheett 630 x 500mm m Lithograph w (24¾ x 19¾""). A little surfface soiling. £3880 The head of a bay with briidle. Stock: 50351
Welbeck W Abbey y were often tthe backdrop of o these faamous dressag ge plates. Stock: 50352
38 83. Eclipse e is the propperty of Deniis O'Kelly Esq.r E was breed by ye latee D. of Cum mberland & was w bou.t by M.r Wildm man... G. G Stubbs Pinx.t. G. T. Stubbbs Sculp.t. Pub b.d. Jan. 1. 17 789 by J. Harrris. Sweeti.s A Alley, & N.o 8 Broad S.t Lo ondon. Colour printed mezzotint witth additional hand-colour. h Pllate: 350 x 290mm (13¾ x 11½"), with laarge margins. Tw wo repaired teears at bottom m platemark. £950 A portrait of the famous raceehorce Eclipsee, with a jo ockey. Eclipse ran for two uunbeaten seaso ons and was th hen put to stud d and sired 3344 winners, hiss owner O'Kelly O claimed to have madde £25,000 ou ut of him. A reeverse copy off an earlier 17772 engraving engraved by Th homas Burke. C L-B et al. 550 II of II. Stock: 42039
380. Sir John, A Fren nch draughtt horse of thee Percheron breed. E. Corbet. E.. Hacker. London, Publisheed by Rogersonn & Tuxford, 2265, Strand, 1870. Engraving. S Sheet: 135 x 215mm (5 x 8¼ ¼''). Foxing inn borders. £335 A portrait off Sir John, a hoorse of the Perrcheron breedd from Normanndy in France. Stock: 50250
381. [Feed ding the Hun nters.] Seymour pinnx. T. Burford sc. [n.d., c.17 750.] Mezzotint. P Platemark: 2555 x 355mm (10 0 x 13¾"), wiith large marginns. Light surfacce rubbing. A few light spoots. nters. A groom brinnging grain too feed two hun After Englishh painter Jamees Seymour (1 17021752),widelyy recognized for f his equestrrian art. Ex: Collection off The Hon. C. Lennox-Boyd d. Stock: 40126
382. [The Duke of Neewcastle's stu ud.] Abr. à Diepeenbeke delin. Petr. P Clouwet Sculpsit. [London: J. B Brindley, 17433.] Engraving. 3390 x 520mm (15½ x 20½")). Centre fold as usual. Narroow lateral marrgins. £4990 Mares and fooals in the fiellds of the stud of William Cavandish, 11st Duke of Neewcastle, at Welbeck W Abbeey, Nottinghamsshire. Plate 42 of thhe Duke of Neewcastle's treaatise on horsemanshipp, 'La Methodde et Invention n nouvelle de Dresser les C Chevaux', firstt published in Antwerp by Jacob van M Meurs c.1658, but b this examp ple from the first English edition, 'A Geeneral System m of Horsemanshiip in All Its Branches'. After the deffeat of the Royyalist cause in n the Civil Waar Cavendish seettled in Antw werp, where this work was engraved. Hoowever his esttates at Bolsov ver and
38 84. Frederick. J. Baringer pinx x. J. Webb scuulp. Published d by M.A. Piittman, Warwick Square, Loondon, Sept.r 1. 1829. En ngraving. Sheeet: 130 x 210m mm (5 x 8¼'')). Foxing in bo orders. £45 A portrait of racing horse Freederic, bred by y William Gratwicke G of Ham H Manor, w whose career raan from June 18 829 until August 1831. Stock: 50249
38 85. [Newm market Raceccourse.] [n n.d., c.1785.] Rare engraving g. Sheet: 435 x 290mm (17¼ ¼ x 11¼''). Creasing, stainiing, tears and paper tone. £320 A large sheet with w a vignettee showing a raace at Newmarket N raccecourse. The vignette appeears on a prrinted epitaph to breeder annd jockey John n Pratt, pu ublished in 17 785. Perhaps thhis is a proof before the £240 in nclusion of thee text, or couldd be a writing sheet. Stock: 50572
Newma arket, Collecction d'onzee planches litthographiqu ues... A Colllection of Eleven Plates, Execu uted in Lithoography; Reepresenting wmarket, annd the Life of o the Race a View of New Horse, H from the t momentt of his enterring the sttud until tha at of his salee... 38 86.
by y A Dubost, fo ormerly Adjuttant Captain of o the Corps du u Genie... Pariis: to be had oof the Author, Quai de Bully, No 18. 1818. Printed bby J. Smith. Oblong O folio, reed half moroccco with red clloth, spine giilt lettered and d decorated; leetterpress titlee in French an nd English, lithographic froontispiece and plates I-V [o of X] with letterpress descriiptions. Spine worn, plate v tip pped onto bacck endpaper, laacking five pllates and theirr teext, some spottting. £2500 Siix plates from m a very scarcee album of lith hographs of Newmarket N wh hich, accordingg to the frontispiece, in ncludes portraiits of the 'mosst celebrated running ho orses in 1809', some descennded from the Godolphin arrabian. The plates are: the fr frontispiece; Colts C - the raace horse in th he stud; Colt - the race horsee taken in
hand; Ploverr by Sir Peter [Teazle] [ - the race horse in h in the the stable; Eaaton by sir Petter - the race horse dressing stabble; & Vandykke by sir Peterr - the racehorrse at the startingg post. Antoine Dubbost (1769-18225) was a neoclassical paintter with a penchhant for racingg, owning and riding horses in a number of important races. Having serrved in the o England in Corps du Gennie (enginneers) he came to 1806, attracteed by the racinng at Newmarrket, painting the originals of these platees in 1809, beffore returning to France in 1813. He foughtt a duel with a neighbour ovver a pavilion in which both participants weere killed. Stock: 47213
Sacreed to the Meemory of John Pratt, Esq. of Ask krigg in Wen nsleydale, Who W Dies at New Markeet, May 10.tth, 1785. 387.
[n.d., c.1785.] 12¼ x 9½''). Rare engraviing. Sheet: 3155 x 245mm (1 Trimmed andd laid on album m sheet. £2880 An epithaph to breeder andd jockey John n Pratt who dieed at Newmarkeet in 1785, aboove which is a scene at Newmarket rracecourse. Stock: 50571
388. Les A Apprèts d'un ne Course. C. Vernet del. Darcis sculpp.t. A Paris ch hez Leloutre aau Louvre, place du Musée. mm (8¼ x 13''). Trimmed, Stipple. Sheeet: 210 x 330m creasing. £1440 836) showing A racing prinnt by Carle Veernet (1758-18 figures leadinng horses andd preparing forr the start of a race. Stock: 50592
Lancce du Cerf dans d le Bois. [&] Sortie d de l'Eau du Cerf. [&] Halllali du Cerff. [&] Le Repas des C Chasseurs. [Titles [ in ink k.] 389.
V. Adam dell.t. [in ink.] [nn.d., c.1845.] Set of four lithographs, boound. Sheet: 27 75 x 370mm £2550 (10¾ x 14½'''). Laid on bouund album sheeets. A set of fourr, French huntiing scenes sho owing differennt parts of a foxx hunt. Stock: 50473
Destrruction of th he Victoria & Albert Balloon. A Arlington Strreet, Piccadiilly, 16th June 1851. [in ink.] 390.
[London pubblished June 18th by Ackerm man & co. 96 Strand.] 7½ x 11''). Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 1990 x 280mm (7 Trimmed, laiid on mount board. b £1990 George Grahham and his wife w Margaret made m several balloon ascennts in Britain, many of whicch ended in disaster. Thee couple made this ascent in n the ‘Victoriaa & Albert’ ballooon to celebratte the Great Exhibition yearr of 1851. How wever, after naarrowly avoid ding a collisionn with Crystal Palace they loost control of the balloon, use in Arlingtoon which crasheed into Coloneel North’s hou Street, Piccaddilly, leaving the building damaged d and the aeronautss badly injuredd. Stock: 50640
39 91. Canadiian Calash. J. Weld del.t. Smith sculp.t. L London, Published by ones & Co. 18 824. Jo mm (8¼ x 5'')). En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 130m £60 A scene showin ng two men ridding in a Canadian calash, a light carriage with two wheeels as opposeed to four, nd pulled by a single horse. an Stock: 49587
39 92. The Re eading Teleggraph Coach hes, Meeting M nearr Salt Hill. W Windsor & Eton in the Distance. D Lo ondon, Pub.d June 1. 18355 by Rob.t Hav vell, Zo oological Galllery, 77, Oxfoord Street. Coloured aquattint. 405 x 5800mm (16 x 22¾"), pn paperr watermarked w 'R Ruse & Turnerrs 1846'. Papeer toned. £680 Tw wo coaches drrawn by four hhorses, passin ng on the ro oad, with Windsor Castle annd Eton Colleg ge in the baackground. Stock: 49979
39 93. Berkha ampstead _ H Herts. Junee 10th 1837. J.C. Bourne dell et lith. Printeed by Day & Haghe, H Liith.rs to the Queen. Londonn, Published 1839 by J.C. Bourne, 19, Lam mb's Conduit Street & Ack kermann & Co, Strand. ph. Printed areea 285 x 385m mm (11¼ x Tiinted lithograp 15 5¼"), with large margins. £160 A locomotive trransporting eaarth from a cu utting, with a brridge over it under u construcction. Pllate 15 of John n Cooke Bourrne's 'Drawing gs of the Lo ondon and Birrmingham Raailway'. Abbeyy 398: 'the fin nest type of litthographed illlustration'. Stock: 49839
39 94. Bliswor rth Cutting.. J.C. Bourne dell et lith. Printeed by C. Hullm mandel. ondon, Published 1839 by tthe Proprietorr J.C. Bourne, Lo 19 9, Lamb's Con nduit Street & Ackermann & Co, Strand. Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea 260 x 365m mm (10¼ x 14 4¼"), with large margins. £150 A railway cuttin ng south of N Northampton, built b to acccomodate Ro obert Stephensson's London and Birmingham Raailway. n Cooke Bourrne's 'Drawing gs of the Pllate 21 of John Great G London-B Birmingham R Railway'. Abb bey 398: 'the fin nest type of litthographed illlustration'. Stock: 49836
Eccen ntric for shiifting Rail. Locomotive L Engine-House. Chimniies of Stationary EngineeHouse. 395.
J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Day & Haghe, Lith.rs L to the Queen. Londdon, Publishedd July 1838 by y the Proprietoor J.C. Bourne, 19, Lamb's Conduit C Street & Ackermannn & Co, Strandd. Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 270 x 33 35mm (10¾ x 13¼"), with llarge marginss. £1880 The top of Camden Bank, with the Statiionary Engineen, with the House whichh haul trains upp from Euston engine housees where the loocomotives waited w to continue the journey. ngs of the Plate 7 of Johhn Cooke Bouurne's 'Drawin London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'.
he bridge to carry the Hamppstead Road over o the new Th raailway. Plate 3 of John Cookke Bourne's 'D Drawings of th he London and d Birmingham m Railway'. Ab bbey 398: 'the fin nest type of litthographed illlustration'. Stock: 49844
Workin ng Shaft _ K Kilsby Tunnel. July 8th 18 837. Great Ventilating V SShaft _ Kilsby Tunnel.
J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Prinnted by C. Hu ullmandel. London, Pubblished Dec.r 1838 1 by the Prroprietor J.C. Bourne, 19, L Lamb's Conduuit Street & Ackermann A & Co, Strand. 20mm (11½ x Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 290 x 42 16½"), with llarge marginss. £2330 Workers faciing the sides of o a deep cutting with brickk. Plate 4 of Johhn Cooke Bouurne's 'Drawin ngs of the London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'.
J.C. Bourne dell et lith. Printeed by Day & Haghe, H D 1838 by Liith.rs to the Queen. Londonn, Published Dec.r th he Proprietor J.C. J Bourne, 119, Lamb's Conduit Street & Ackermann & Co, Strand.. Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea 240 x 400m mm (9½ x 15 5¾"), with large margins. T Tear in bottom m margin. £180 Tw wo views of Kilsby K Tunnell which, at 2¼ ¼ miles, was th he longest railw way tunnel in the work wheen it opened. Th he huge ventillation shafts, ssaid to be oveersized beecause no one knew how m much air would d be needed to o survive the leength of the tuunnel, as now listed. Pllate 25 of John n Cooke Bourrne's 'Drawing gs of the Lo ondon and Birrmingham Raailway'. Abbeyy 398: 'the fin nest type of litthographed illlustration'.
Build ding Retainiing Wall &cc Near Park Street, Cam mden Town,, Sep.r 17th 1836.
Build ding the Stattionary Eng gine House, Camden Toown, April 28th 2 1837. 397.
J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Prinnted by C. Hu ullmandel. London, Pubblished 1838 by b the Propriettor J.C. Bournne, 19, Lamb's C Conduit Streett & Ackerman nn & Co, Strannd. Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 305 x 43 35mm (12 x 17"), with larrge margins. £2220 The Stationaary Winding Engine E House hauled h trains uup from Euston to Camden Bank by meanss of an endlesss d by Robert R rope. The buuildings were designed Stephenson. m Railway The buildingg of the Londoon-Birmingham devastated C Camden (Charlles Dickens deescribed the work as like 'the shock of a great earthq quake' in Son). The macchinery installled here was 'Dombey & S only used froom 1837 to 18844, but the vaaulted buildinggs being built arre now Grade II*, as a rare surviro of succh structures. ngs of the Plate 6 of Johhn Cooke Bouurne's 'Drawin London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'. Stock: 49838
398. Ham mpstead Road d Bridge. Seept. 5, 1837. J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Lonndon, Publish hed Sept.r 183 8 by the Propriietor J.C. Bouurne, 19, Lamb b's Conduit Street & Ackkermann & Coo, Strand. Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 290 x 41 15mm (11½ x 16¼"), with llarge marginss Tears in marg gins, one through publlication line. £1880
40 00. Railwa ay Bridge ovver the Regent's Canal. J.C. Bourne dell et lith. Printeed by Day & Haghe, H S 1838 by Liith.rs to the Queen. Londonn, Published Sept.r J.C. Bourne, 19 9, Lamb's Connduit Street & Ackermann & Co, Strand. Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea 270 x 380m mm (10½ x 15 5") Tear in edge of large maargins. £190 Th he constructio on of a bridge over the Regeent's Canal in Camden, as onee form of trannsport superced des another. Pllate 5 of John Cooke Bournne's 'Drawingss of the Lo ondon and Birrmingham Raailway'. Abbeyy 398: 'the fin nest type of litthographed illlustration'. Stock: 49840
40 01. Tring Cutting. C Junne 17th 1837 7. J.C. Bourne dell et lithog. Prin inted by C. Hu ullmandel. ondon, Published 1839 by tthe Proprietorr J.C. Bourne, Lo 19 9, Lamb's Con nduit Street & Ackermann & Co, Strand. Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea 250 x 350m mm (9¾ x 13 3¾"), with large margins. £140 Th he 2½-mile-lo ong Tring Cutttting, lined witth countless pllank ramps wiith horse-powe wered winches helping men brring wheelbarrrows full of sppoil up the steeep banks. Th his was one of the most labbour-intensive parts of the Lo ondon to Birm mingham Railw way project.
Plate 16 of Joohn Cooke Boourne's 'Drawiings of the London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'. Stock: 49841
402. Watfford Emban nkment. Nov v.r 6, 1837. J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Prinnted by Day & Haghe, Lith.rs to thee Queen. Londdon, Published d Dec.r 1838 bby the Proprietoor J.C. Bournee, 19, Lamb's Conduit C Streett & Ackermannn & Co, Strannd. Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 255 x 36 65mm (10 x 14¼"), with llarge marginss. £1660 A long embaankment with a viaduct, Plaate 9 of John Cooke Bournne's 'Drawingss of the Londo on and Birmingham Railway'. Abbey 398: 'the finest f type of lithographedd illustration'. Stock: 49843
403. Watfford Tunnell Face. June 6th 1837. J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Prinnted by Day & Haghe, Lith.rs to thee Queen. Londdon, Published d by J.C. Bourne, 19, L Lamb's Conduuit Street & Ackermann A & Co, Strand. [ 80mm (10½ x Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 270 x 38 15"), with larrge margins. £1660 Workers buillding the entraance archway of the Watforrd tunnel. Robeert Stephensonn's London and d Birmingham m Railway wass not allowed to t cross the Cassiobury andd Grove estatess, so an expennsive tunnel haad to be constructed uunder Leavesdden. Plate 11 of Joohn Cooke Boourne's 'Drawiings of the London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'.
Templee of the Musses. An interrior view of th he extensive Library of Lackington n, Allen & Co. C Finsbury y Square, Loondon wherre above Half H a Million n Volumes aare constanttly on Sale. 06. 40
Walker W del et sculp. [n.d., c.11800.] En ngraving. Platte: 160 x 200m mm (6¼ x 8''), with very laarge margins. £260 An A advertisemeent for the firsst ‘cash bookseller’, prrobably from the t periodicall 'London und Paris'. Jaames Lackingtton (1746 - 18815) rose from m selling meatt piies at ten and taking t an apprrenticeship to a shoemaker att 14. In 1773 he h went to Lonndon to make his fortune an nd set up as a very humble bbookseller and d shoemaker. By 1775 he had d established hhis cheap circu ulating brary, helped by his secondd wife, Dorcass Turton, lib fo ollowing their marriage in 11776. In 1789,, he moved to Th he Temple of the Muses in Finsbury Squ uare, purpose bu uilt by Georgee Dance, takinng Robert Alleen into paartnership in 1793. 1 See Jam mes Lackington n's portrait, ref ef 10495. Stock: 50398
404. Woollverton Viad duct. Augusst 1837. J.C. Bourne ddel et lith. Prinnted by Day & Haghe, Lith.rs to thee Queen. Londdon, Published d by the Proprietor J.C C. Bourne, 199, Lamb's Con nduit Street & Ackermann & Co, Strand. [n.d., 1839.] Tinted lithoggraph. Printed area 255 x 39 90mm (10 x 15½"), with llarge marginss. £1660 Wolverton V Viaduct, built to t carry the Lo ondon & Birmingham Line over thee River Great Ouse, under construction.. Plate 20 of Joohn Cooke Boourne's 'Drawiings of the London and B Birmingham Railway'. R Abb bey 398: 'the finest type off lithographedd illustration'. Stock: 49845
A Plaan of the Citty's of Lond don, Westminsteer and Boroough of Soutthwark; with h the new Ad dditional Bu uildings Ann no 1720. 405.
Revised by JJn.o Senex 17220. S. Parker Delin D et Sculpp.t. [London: Johhn Senex, 17220.] Engraving. 5515 x 595mm (21¼ x 23½")). Repaired teaar in central creease. £6880 A map of Loondon extendinng to Lambeth h, clockwise to Buckingham m House, Hanoover Square, New N River Head, Haberddasher's Hosppital, Whitechaapel, Wappingg and Boroughh. Stock: 49795
40 07. Interior of the Sesssions House, Old Bailey. B Pu ublished by J. & J. Cundee,, Albion Presss, London 18 813. Rare stipple. Sh heet: 130 x 1885mm (5 x 7¼ ¼''). Trimmed. £120 A view inside the court room m in the Old Bailey, B Lo ondon showin ng a trial. Stock: 49951
An Horrizontal View ew of the Pub blic Fireworks orrdered to be exhibited on occasion off the Genera al Peace conncluded at Aix A le Chapelle C on November N 77.th 1748. 40 08.
[n n.d., c.1749.] En ngraving. Platte: 180 x 280m mm (7 x 11''), 18th century watermark, w with large marginns. Two verticcal creases as no ormal. £140 A view of the teemporary struucture erected in Green Paark for the pub blic firework ddisplay held in celebration off the Treaty off Aix-la-Chappelle ending th he War of Austrian A Succession. This viiew is taken frrom the Liibrary at St. Jaames's Palace . Stock: 50653
409. [London prospecct] Multum in Parvo. [n.d., c.1750.] Sheet: 70 x 105mm (2¾ x 4''). Trimmed. Engraving. S Slight loss onn left. £995 The vignette from the titlee page of an ed dition of the o London from m London Maggazine showing a prospect of Southwark, w with London Bridge B stil lcovered with buildings. Thhe title below translates as 'a great deal inn a small space'. Stock: 50283
41 14. Divers Views of Viillages, Nobllemens & Gentlemens G Houses, H &B Bridges, Situ uated on & neear the Riveer Thames, ffrom Graveesend to Twickenham T . Prrinted for Rob b.t Sayer, at thhe Golden Bucck, opposite Feetter Lane, Fleeet Street. [n.dd., c.1750.] Seet of 12 numbered engravinngs, stitched. Sheet: S 250 x 38 85mm (9¾ x 15¼''), 1 with veery large marg gins. Frontis feew tears in maargins, last plaate torn on leftt. £1200 A rare completee set of twelvee views on thee Thames in ncluding viewss in Twickenhham, Richmon nd, London an nd Gravesend.. Stock: 49592
41 15. [The Gardens G of C Carleton-Hou use with Neapolitan N Ballad Singerrs Design'd 18th May 17 784. To Hiss Royal Highhness Georg ge Prince of Wales W this Prrint from thee Original Drawing D Drawing D by H. H Bunburyy Esq,,r in th he Possession off His Highneess, is by Perrmission Dedicated D by y His Royal H Highness's most m fa aithfull Serv vant, W. Dicckinson.] 410. View w of Greenwiich Hospitall. N.Pocock deel. W. Ellis scuulp. Publish'd March 1. 18000, by Bunney & Gold. Aquatint. Sheet: 145 x 2455mm (5¾ x 9¾ ¾''). Trimmedd. £665 A view of Grreenwich Hosspital from thee Thames. Stock: 49936
411. [Lam mbeth Palacee from Whittehall Stairss.] [Engraved byy Abraham Auubry after Weenceslaus Hollar.] [n.d.., c.1655.] Etching. Platte: 110 x 175m mm (4¼ x 7'').. Creases, laidd in album sheeet. £1880 A view lookiing west alongg the Thames to Lambeth Palace from W Whitehall Pallace on the north side of thee Thames. Stock: 50291
Lond don Bridge &c. & from So outhwark Bridge. 412.
T.S. Boys Deel. et Litho. [nn.d. c.1845.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 330 3 x 510mm (13 x 20''). Marking andd foxing in largge margins. £3660 View of Lonndon Bridge frrom Southwarrk Bridge showing variious boats on the river and beached b on thhe foreshore of the City and Bankside. B Thee masts from tthe wer of St Pool of Londdon can be seeen with the tow Saviour's, Soouthwark on thhe right. From 'Originnal Views of London L As It Is' I (26 plates) by Thomas S Shotter Boys (1803 ( - 1874). Abbey Sceneery 239, 5. Stock: 50131
413. St Pa aul's from th he River. [in n pencil.] Frank Hardinng. [signed in pencil.] [n.d.,, c.1830.] Etching. Platte: 165 x 200m mm (6½ x 8'').. Slight mountt burn in marggins. £1660 A view of Stt Paul's Catheddral from acro oss the Thamees. Stock: 50480
[E Engraved by Francesco F Bart rtolozzi.] Lond don, Publish'dd May M 10th; 1785 5 by W. Dickiinson, No. 158 8 Bond Sttreet, & W. Au ustin, Drawinng Master St. James J Street. Sttipple, proof before b title, pri rinted in sepia, touches of haand colour. 51 10 x 660mm (220 x 26"), witth large margins. m £1650 A proof state off one of the finnest 18th centtury images: a scene of fashiionably-dresseed people prom menading nd listening to o musicians inn Carlton Hou use gardens, an un nder tall leafy trees with noo sign of the ho ouse. At the ceentre is George, Prince of W Wales, in a triccorn hat and with w a lady on each e arm. A ggroup of musiccians are on th he far left, one playing a sm mall trumpet. Th he Prince of Wales W gave thee ballad singeers breakfast in n his garden, where w they weere all drawn from f life on th he spot by Bun nbury. Accordding to De Vessme and Calabi, Bartolozzi only engraaved the facess of the gures. De Vessme 2549 fig Stock: 49835
[The Cheesecake H House] The Cottage, C neear the Serp pentine Riveer, Hyde-Park, Middlesex. M 41 16.
Lo ondon, Published 7 Feb.y 11812. by Robeert Wilkinson, No. N 58. Cornhilll. En ngraving with h etching. Sheeet 240 x 295m mm (9½ x 11 1½"). Trimmeed just within pplate. £130 Th he Cheesecake House was a tea room on n the north side of the Serp pentine mentiooned in the diaary of Saamuel Pepys. To enter the ffront door visiitors had to crross a rudimen ntary wooden bridge over a stream (p probably the Tyburn T Brook)), as shown heere, although by y this time thee building wass being used as a a bo oathouse. Dem molished duriing the mid-19 9th century, th he exact location is now unkknown. Stock: 50455
417. Jennys Whimm and Bridge.. From a drawing byy J. Boreman engraved by J. Lodgee in 1761. Jen nnys Whimm m Tea Gard den Chelsea.. [n.d., c.1840.] Watercolour.. Sheet: 200 x 285mm (8½ x 11¼''). Trimmed andd laid on an allbum sheet. £1880 A watercolouur after an enggraving printed in c.1760. The view shoows Jenny's Whimm W bridgee which crossees Grosvenor caanal at what iss now Ebury Bridge B and gav ave onto Willow Walk which crossed c the marshland m at Pimlico. Theere was a taverrn and pleasurre garden at thhe site which was very popular despite the site being a haunt of highhwaymen.
ph. Sheet: 2255 x 300mm (9 9 x 11¾''). Tiinted lithograp Dusty. D £65 A view of the chapel c at Brom mpton Hospitaal for co onsumption bu uilt and develooped during th he 1840s. Stock: 50531
418. Part of Greenwicch Hospital from the Ravensborne. Drawn from Nature and onne Stone by J..D. Harding. b. by Rodwell & Printed by C. Hullmandel.. London. Pub w Bond Str.t Juune 1. 1832. Martin, New Rare lithograaph. Printed arrea 250 x 310m mm (10 x 12¼"), with vvery large maargins. £2660 A view of thee towers of thhe hospital thro ough trees andd across a cow w field. Stock: 50459
Harvvest Scene with w a View of o the Old Tower & P Part of the Town T of Hackney, taken n from the D Downs. 419.
Drawn by W W. Walker. Enggraved by W.JJ. Bennett. Published Auug 1. 1814, byy W. Walker, London Fieldds, Hackney. 0 x 705mm (119 Very rare aquuatint printed in brown. 480 x 27¾"). Sm mall margins. £5550 g whear sheaves, Stt A family pauuusing while gathering Augustine's T Tower behindd. W. J. Benneett worked in America. Stock: 49577
42 22. The Ro oyal Hospitaal of Chelsea a. [n n.d., c.1750.] En ngraving, Platte: 170 x 245m mm (6¾ x 9¾ ¾''), paper withh 18 8th century waatermark. Trim mmed to platee and within pllate on lower edge. e £95 A view of the Royal R Hospitaal Chelsea, fou unded as a ho ospice for veteerans in 1682 by Charles III. Stock: 50555
42 23. Chelsey y Colledge. I. Kip Sculp. [n n.d., c.1691.] ngraving. Platte: 250 x 340m mm (9¾ x 13¼ ¼''), with En veery large marg gins. Central ccrease as issueed, foxing. £110 A view of the Chelsea C Collegge, a theologiccal college fo ounded by Jam mes I in 1609. The college was w never co ompleted and when Charless II founded a hospice for veeterans in 1682 the college w was chosen as the site for th he Royal Hosp pital Chelsea. Stock: 50552
A Vieew of Fulhaam Church from f the Bridge. Laa Veüe de l'E Eglise de Fu ulham representéee de Pont. 420.
Printed for annd Sold by Heenry Overton at the White Horse withouut Newgate, London. L [n.d., c.1750.] Hand-coloured engraving. Sheet: 260 x 400mm (10¼ ¼x med within pllate, mount bu urn. £3660 15¾''). Trimm A fine view oof Fulham froom the south showing All Saints Churcch in the distannce and the old wooden tolll bridge spannning the Tham mes from Putneey to Fulham. Stock: 50553
[Chaapel, Bromptton Hospita al.] To The Rev.d Sir H Henry Fouliss Bart. The Donor of th he Chapel for the Hospitaal for Consu umption, Brompton, and to the Committee of that C Institution under whosse managem ment the building haas been ereccted this View w is respectfullyy inscribed by b their most obedient Serv.t Edw w.d Buckton Lamb, Arch h.t. 421.
F. Bedford, llith. Day & Soon, Lith.rs to the t Queen. [n. d., c.1845.]
42 24. Holland House by Kensington n. Pu ub. Sept. 1. 18 800 by I. T. Sm mith, No.20 Great G Portlandd Sttreet. Aquatint. A Plate: 205 x 260mm m (8 x 10¼''). £130 A view of the Jacobean J housse in what is now n known as Holland H Park in n west Kensinngton, London n. The house was w mostly destroyed duringg the Blitz. Stock: 50549
42 25. Kensington Park V Villas. E.T. Dolby Dell. Clerk & Co.. Lith. 202 Hig gh Holborn. n.d., c.1850.] [n Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 2600 x 310mm (10¼ x 12''). £130 A view of an itaalianate villa bbuilt in Kensiington during th he developmen nt of the area bbetween the 1840s and 18 870s. Stock: 50543
Resid dences No.5. Swiss Villa. 3. Kensington n Park Villaas. 426.
E.T. Dolby D Del. Clerk & Co. C Lith. 202 High H Holbornn. [n.d., c.1850.] 2 x 415mm (11 x 16¼''). Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 280 Tears in edgees and surfacee dirt. £1440 A view of a cchalet-style viilla built in Keensington during the deevelopment off the area betw ween the 18400s and 1870s.
A view of Kenssington Palacee with groups of figures walking w around d the gardens. Trimmed and d borders daarkened to allo ow print to bee used in a zog grascope. Stock: 50539
427. 3. Keensington Pa alace Gardeens. Italian. E.T. Dolby D Del. Clerk & Co. C Lith. 202 High H Holbornn. [n.d., c.1850.] 2 x 340mm (9¾ x 13¼'').. Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 250 Tears in edgees and surfacee dirt, creasing g. £1330 A view of ann italianate villla built in Ken nsington durinng the developm ment of the areea between thee 1840s and 1870s. Stock: 50545
428. [Orangery, Kenssington Gar rdens.] [n.d., c.1790.] ½ x 9¼''), largee A rare etchinng. Plate: 165 x 235mm (6½ margins. £1330 A view of thee baroque oraangery in Kenssington Palacee Gardens buillt in 1705. Stock: 50542
The B Building Neews, Mar 9. 1877. Kensington n Gore Man nsions (Limitted). 429.
Photo-Lithoggraphed & Priinted by Jamess Akerman, 5 1, Grays Inn Rooad, W.C. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 415 x 310mm (1 16¼ x 12''). Tears and creeasing. £990 A plan of a nnew mansion block b on the south side of Hyde Park, nnext to the Royyal Albert Hall. Stock: 50528
The R Royal Palacce of Kensington. Le Palais Royaale de Kensiington. 430.
London, Prinnted for Rob.t Sayer, Map & Printseller, aat the Golden B Buck near Serjjeants Inn Fleeet Street. [n.d ., c.1750.] 70 x 275mm Fine hand-cooloured engravving. Plate: 17 (6¾ x 10¾''). Laid on cardd. £1440 ups of figures A view of Keensington Palaace, with grou walking in thhe grounds. Stock: 50532
431. A Front View off the Royal Palace P of Kensington n. Vüe en Front du Pala ais Royal dee Kensington n. Parr delin. ett sculp. Publissh'd according g to Act of Parliament. L London Printeed for & Sold by Rob.t Sayeer at the Goldenn Buck, oppossite Fetter Lan ne, Fleet Streeet. [n.d., c.1760.] e Sheeet: 255 x Very fine hannd-coloured engraving. 405mm (10 x 16''). Trimm med and laid on n card, title excised and llaid on verso as a normal for the Vue D'Optique m machines. £3660
43 32. A Dista ant View of Kensington Palace, with w part of the t Garden,, & the Queeens Temple,, ass seen from the side of tthe Sepentin ne River. Vüe V dans the Lointain duu Palais de Kensington, K ainsi a d'une ppartie du Ja ardin, et du Temple T de la Reine, tels qqu'ils paroissent d'un dees Cotes de la Riviere SSerpentine. Lo ondon Printed d for F. West 883, Fleet Streeet. [n.d., c.1750.] Hand-coloured H engraving. Pllate: 175 x 275mm (7 x £70 11 1''), with largee margins. Teaar in bottom edge. A view of Kenssington Palacee with groups of figures walking w around d the gardens. Stock: 50540
Garden n Front of V Villa No.3. Queens Q Road, R Kensin ngton Palacee Gardens. 43 33.
[n n.d., c.1850.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 3055 x 430mm (12 x 17''). Paaper tone in ed dges. £180 A view of one of o the italianat ate villas on Queens Road, no ow renamed Kensington K Paalace Gardens. Many of the ho ouses on the street are now used as embaassies and are am mong the most exclusive inn London. Stock: 50541
43 34. Notting g-Hill Housee. Drawn D on Stone by E. Shephheard from a Sketch S by J. Maisey. M Printed d by Graf and Sort. [n.d., c.1850.] Hand-coloured H ne collé. lithograph, prrinted on chin Sh heet: 270 x 36 65mm (10½ x 14¼''). Largee repaired teears in marginss and into chinne collé. £160 A view of Aubrrey House in C Campden Hilll, Holland Paark. From 183 30 to 1854 thee building wass a boardingscchool for youn ng ladies. The house was kn nown as Notting-Hill N Ho ouse until aboout 1860 when n it was reenamed. Stock: 50547
43 35. Notting g-Hill Housee. Drawn D on Stone by E. Shephheard from a Sketch S by J. Maisey. M Printed d by Graf and Sort. [n.d., c.1850.] Liithograph, printed on chinee collé. Sheet: 240 x 30 00mm (9½ x 11¾''). 1 Foxingg. £140
A view of Auubrey House in i Campden Hill, H Holland Park. From 11830 to 1854 the t building was w a boardinggschool for yooung ladies. The house was known as Notting-Hill House until about a 1860 wh hen it was renamed. Stock: 50546
[Insid de view of th he Rotundo in Ranelagh h Gardens.] P Prospect Voon dem Inern de la Rotonde in n den Garten n zu Ranelag gh in London. 436.
A view of Syon n House, the sseat of the Duk ke of Northumberlan N nd in Isleworthh, from the Th hames. In the fo oreground are men in a boatt fishing with nets. One O of twenty plates p in 'A Seeries of Picturresque Views off Noblemen's & Gentlemenn's Seats', publlished in ten paarts, each with h two plates, 11814-1823. Th he completed work w was publiished as a voluume in 1823, but this plate haad been replacced with anothher version off the same sccene, making this t the rarest plate in an alrready scarce work. w Abbey Sccenery 395. Stock: 49608
Canaleti del. F. Leizelt Scuulp. Se vend à Augsbourg mperiale dans le Négooce comun de l'Academie Im d'Empire souus son Privilegge et avec défeence de n'en faire ni vendrre de copies. [n.d., [ c.1760.]] Etching withh hand colour. Sheet: 330 x 440mm (13 x 17¼"). Trimm med to plate, torn t in two, reepaired, nicks in edges. £3220 a Rotunda inn A vüe d'optiqque of the Chiinese House and Ranelagh Gaardens, Chelseea. The print waas to be used inn an zograscop pe or optical diagonal macchine which would w use lensses to create thhe illusion of a 33-D landscapee. The print would w be seen iin reversed, acccounting for thhe backwards title above thee scene. Stock: 50058
437. The P Palace and Grounds G fro om the Nortth. Day & Son, L Lith.rs to the Queen_P.H. Q Delamotte, D Photographerr. London, Puublished by Au uthority by Daay & Son in the Crystal Palacce and at 17 Gate G Street Lincolns Innn Fields. [n.d., c.1854.] nd-colour. Sheeet: Very fine colloured lithogrraph, with han 275 x 375mm m (10¾ x 14¾ ¾''). Very sligh ht foxing in margins. £1330 A view of thee Crystal Palaace in Sydenhaam after its relocation in 1854. After a photograph by b British photographerr Philip Henryy Delamotte (1821-1889).
44 40. Mill on n Wimbledonn Common.. George G Cooke fec.t [after Eddward William m Cooke]. Pu ublished by Longman & Coo, J. & A. Arcch and G. Cooke [c.1834]]. ngraving. Watermark J. Whhatman 1827. Plate: 150 x En £65 22 20mm (6 x 8¾ ¾''). A view of the mill m on Wimblledon Commo on, built in 18 816 and now Grade G II* listeed. en ngraved by Geeorge Cooke ((1781-1834) after a a sketch by y his son, the celebrated maarine painter Edward E William W Cookee. From ''View ws in London and a its Vicinity'', V issueed between 18826 -1834. Stock: 49990
Crystal Palace, View V of N. Transept T froom the Tower. 438.
R. Carrick D Del. et Lith. Daay & Son, Lith h.rs to the Queen_P.H. Delamotte, Phhotographer. London, L Published byy Authority byy Day & Son in the Crystal Palace and att 17 Gate Streeet Lincolns In nn Fields. [n.dd., c.1854.] nd-colour. Sheeet: Very fine colloured lithogrraph, with han 275 x 375mm m (10¾ x 14¾ ¾''). Very sligh ht foxing. £1550 A view of thee Crystal Palaace in Sydenhaam after its relocation in 1854 in the grounds g laid ou ut by Edward hotographer Milner. Afterr a photographh by British ph Philip Henryy Delamotte (11821-1889). Stock: 50505
439. Sion House. Drawn by W W. Havell. Engraved by R. Havell. H Londonn, Published March 1, 1815, for the Propriietors, by Mess.rs Colnnagi & Co., 233, Cockspur Street, & Messs.rs Arch, Booksellers, Cornhiill. h finished. Coloured aquuatint, printedd in blue and hand 280 x 360mm m (10¼ x 14¼ ¼"), on thick paper watermarkedd 'J Whatman 1811'. £3660
44 41. [The Royal R Star annd Garter Home, H Richmond R Hiill.] Sy ydney R. Jonees [signed in pplate and in peencil.] [n.d., c.1930.] d by the artist. 235 x 385mm m (9¼ x Ettching, signed 15 5¼"). Unexam mined out of frrame. £240 A view looking g up at the Royyal Star and Garter G Home from the Twick kenham riversside, before th he towpath was w built up. Siir Edwin Coop per's home forr injured serviicemen was op pened in 1924 4 and closed foor conversion to flats in 20 013. Stock: 50329
44 42. The Ro oyal Palace oof Windsor Castle. The T Situation n of this Chaarming Casttle seems deesigned by Nature N for R Royal Majessty... Lo ondon Sold by y John Bowlees at Mercers Hall H in Cheapside. Wh here Country C Chapmen may y be supplyed with w the newestt and best Sorrtment of Goods at the lo owest Prices. Ettching. Sheet: 290 x 460mm m (11½ x 18'')). Trimmed an nd creased at edges. e £180
A view of W Windsor Castle from the Norrth showing thhe gardens laid out by Henry Wise in 1707 7-8 for Queen hed by Henry Anne. A reduuced copy of a print publish Overton 1708.
vements to hiis deputy. While Thomas laaid out improv th he Park, includ ding the creatiion of Virginiaa Water from a stream, he dreew these eightt scenes. The series was ydell in 1772 with his addreess added. reeissued by Boy
View w from the North N side off the Virginiia River, nearr the Manou ur Lodge.
T. Sandby Delin. P. Sandbby Sculp. [n.d d., c.1754-5.] m (13½ x 23")), Etching withh hand colour. 345 x 585mm with large maargins. Repairred crack in leeft platemark. £3440 Frederick andd Augusta, Prrince and Princcess of Waless, descending ffrom a carriage at the shore of Virginia Water, wheree the Royal Baarge waits. Th hey are being guided by hiss brother, Willliam, Duke off Cumberlandd, who was Rannger of the Paark. From the folio 'Eight Views of Wiindsor Great Park' P by Thom mas Sandby (1723-98), enngraved by his younger bro other Paul (1731-1809).. Thomas Sanddby had been private secrettary and draughtsmann to Cimberlannd since 1743,, and when Cumberland was made Raanger Thomas was made hiss m. While deputy and innvited Paul too live with him Thomas laid out improvem ments to the Paark, includingg W from a sttream, he drew w the creation oof Virginia Water these eight sccenes which Paul P then engrraved. In this case examinaation of the prreparatory draawing (now in the British M Museum) has leed experts to believe b Paul drew the figuures. The series was reissued byy Boydell in 1772 with his he drawing address addeed. BM: 1871,0812.2556, th 1868,0328.3003. Stock: 49805
444. The M Moat Island d. T. Sandby Delin. F. Vivarres Sculp. [n.d d., c.1754-5.] Etching withh hand colour, 18th century watermark. 3440 x 580mm (133¼ x 22¾"), with w large marrgins. £3440 A view of M Moat Island, wiith the Duke of o Cumberlandd in the centre with his guests. Behind is a pleasure pavilion he hhad had built for f his personaal use. To the left workmenn are clearing up leaves. Frrom the folio 'Eight Viewss of Windsor Great G Park' by y Thomas Sandby (1723-98). Thomas Sanddby had been private secrettary and draughtsmann to Cimberlannd since 1743,, and when Cumberland was made Raanger Thomas was made hiss i s to the Park, deputy. Whille he laid out improvements including thee creation of Virginia V Waterr from a stream m, he drew these eight sceness. The series was reissued byy Boydell in 1772 with his address addeed. Stock: 49806
445. The G Great Lake,, near the Lodge. T. Sandby Delin.t. [n.d., c.1754-5.] Etching. 345 x 585mm (133½ x 23"), witth large £3550 margins. nd goats and a A view of Viirginia Water,, with sheep an man filling a barrel with water w from the lake. Thomas Sanddby had been private secrettary and draughtsmann to Cumberlannd since 1743 3, and when Cumberland was appointed Ranger Tho omas was madde
The Av von from Beelow St. Vinccent's
Rock. R Drawn D by S.C. Jones_G.Haw wkins lith. Day y & Haghe Liith.rs to the Queen. Publishhed by Georgee Davey 1 Broad S.t Bristo ol. [n.d., c.18440.] ph. Sheet: 2800 x 380mm (11 x 15''). Tiinted lithograp £140 A view of St Vincent's Rockk, Clifton near Bristol. Stock: 48058
44 47. Suspen nsion Bridgee at Clifton. (near Bristol.) B W.H. W Bartlett. W. W Mossman.. London Publlished for the Prroprietor by Geo: G Virtue, 266 Ivy Lane, 18 842. Stteel engraving g. Sheet 195 x 260mm (7¾ x 10¼"). A feew spots. £60 A view using Issambard Kinggdom Brunel'ss original deesign, with thee Egyptian-styyle pylons top pped with sp pinxes that weere not used inn the completeed bridge. Th he bridge's fou undation stone ne was laid in 1831, but work w was stopp ped almost imm mmediately by the Bristol Riots. Restarted d in 1836 the pproject contin nued to be do ogged with po olitical and finnancial difficu ulties and by 18 843, with only y the towers coompleted, thee project was ab bandoned. Bru unel died prem maturely aged 53 years in 18 859 but the Brridge was com mpleted as his memorial an nd finally open ned in 1864. Stock: 49992
Pen-Pa ark Hole. Exxhibition off the Fine Arts, A Naturall History, M Machinery, Antiquities, A &c. & Horticulttural Roomss Top of Parrk Street, in n co onnexion wiith the Bristtol Mechaniccs' In nstitution 44 48.
En ngraved and Printed P at the E Exhibition in connexion with w the Bristoll Mechanics' IInstitution. - H. H & A. Hill, Prrinters, Castle Green. [n.d., c.1842.] Broadsheet with h wood-engraaved map and letterpress ded. £140 teext. Sheet 335 x 205mm (133¼ x 8"). Fold A map of the caavern of Pen PPark Hole, a Site S of Sp pecial Scientiffic Interest in Southmead, Bristol, B first
explored by C Captain Sturm my in 1669 and d surveyed in 1682 by Capptain Greenvillle Collins (a decade d before his ''Great Brritain's Coastaal Pilot'', the fiirst English seea atlas of the coasts of Britaiin). The descrription here is from Georgee Symes Cateccott's 1775 acccount of the search for thee body of Revverend Thomaas Newnam, who had falleen in while tryying to plumb b its depths. Stock: 49516
A view of the ruins of Corfe Castle, with the t viaduct, no ow used by the railway, in tthe backgroun nd. Frrom William Daniell's D 'A V Voyage Round d Great Britain', a series of 308 aquattints published in eight olumes between 1814-18255, described by y R.V. vo To ooley as 'the most m importannt colour platee book on British Topograaphy'. Abbey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: ooks with Colloured Plates 177. Bo Stock: 49800
A Vieew of Plymoouth Fort an nd St Nicholas's IIsland, from m Mount Ed dgcumbe. 449.
G. Lambert & Scott pinx.tt. C.W. Bampfflyde delin. J. Mason sculp.t. Published according a to Act A of May the 5th, 1755. Parliament M Engraving. 3390 x 630mm (15½ x 24¾")), with large margined top right, r repaired d tears, creasinng. margins. Rem £3220 y George A view of Plymouth Harboour painted by Samuel Scott, engraved by James J Mason Lambert & S from an interrmediary sketcch by Coplesttone Warre Bampfylde aand published in the series 'F Five views off and from Moount Edgcumbbe, Plymouth'.
45 54. Dorche ester, View oof the Town n Hall and Market M Placee during thee Fair. Frrederick Barry y, Pinx.t. New wton Fielding Sculp.t. Gad & Co. Printers. Dorchester: PPublished by Frederick F Barry, Nov. 2.d d 1835. A very fine & scarce s hand-cooloured aquatint. Plate: 35 55 x 280mm (14 ( x 11''). £360 A view of the busy b market pllace in Dorchester during a faair. Stock: 50136
450. Basseenthwaite Church. C Drawn and A Aqua-tinted byy W. Green Manchester.[n.d M d., c.1800.] mm Rare fine hannd-coloured aqquatint. Sheett: 240 x 300m (9½ x 11¾''). Trimmed wiithin plate, creeasing and marking. £1660 i the Lake A view of thee church at Baassenthwaite in District, grouups stand in coonversation ou utside. Stock: 50278
451. Gran nge in Borroowdale. [Drawn and A Aqua-tinted by b W. Green Manchester.]][n.d., c.1800..] Rare aquatinnt with fine hannd colour. Sheeet: 225 x med within plaate. £2330 285mm (9 x 11¼''). Trimm t Lake Distrrict. A view of Boorrowdale in the Stock: 50277
452. [Ryd dal Water.] The T Slate Mine. M P.J. de Louthherbourg, R.A A. Pinx.t. Stadller sculp. Published 100 April 1800, by b R. Bowyerr, Historic Gallery, Pall Mall. Fine & large aquatint, prinnted in colourss and hand Whatman wateermark. 525 x 705mm (20¾ ¾ finished. J. W x 27¾"). Trim mmed into plaate at bottom. £5550 Workers cuttting the slate on o the left, horses struggling ng to move a fulll cart on the right. r Loutherbourgg exhibitied thhe painting at the Royal Academy in 1785 as 'A slaate quarry neaar Rydell Wateer, Cumberland'' (Cat. 171). Stock: 49812
453. Corfe fe Castle. Drawn & Enngraved by Wiill.m Daniell. Published by W. Daniell, 9 Cleveland St. Fitzroy Squ uare, London. Aug.t 1, 18233. Aquatint withh original hannd colour. 230 0 x 300mm (9 x 12"), with larrge margins. Slight S staining g. £1990
45 55. View of the West F Front of the Intended Dorset D Countty Hospital. (North Wing now the po oint of erecttion.] Benj.n Ferrey, Arch.t A Jan.y 11840. Day & Haghe H Lith.rs o the Queen. to Rare tinted litho ograph. Printeed area: 125 x 220mm (5 x 8¾ ¾''), with large margins. £140 A view of the Dorset D Countyy Hospital, fou unded in 18400 ass a charity to treat t the workiing poor. Stock: 50133
45 56. Lulwor rth Cove. Drawn D & Engraaved by Will.m m Daniell. Pu ublished by W. W Daniell, 9 Cleveland C St. FFitzroy Square, London. Aug.t A 1, 1823. Aquatint A with original o hand ccolour. 230 x 300mm (9 x £190 12 2"). Trimmed into plate at ttop. A view looking g down on Lullworth Cove from f the cliffss to o the west. Frrom William Daniell's D 'A V Voyage Round d Great Britain', a series of 308 aquattints published in eight olumes between 1814-18255, described by y R.V. vo To ooley as 'the most m importannt colour platee book on British Topograaphy'. Abbey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: ooks with Colloured Plates 177. Bo Stock: 49798
A Vieew of Tanfieeld Arch in the County of Durham. F From the Paainting of the late Josep h Atkinson of Newcastle upon Tyne in the Possession of Sir Mat.w w White Rid dley Bar.t byy whose Perm he mission this Plate is Eng graved for th Benefit of tthe Widow and a Children. 457.
Painted by J. Atkinson. Enngraved by J.C C. Stadler. [n.dd., c.1804.] 5 x 615mm (19¾ x 24¼""). Very rare aquuatint. Sheet 500 Trimmed witthin plate on three t sides, rep paired tear topp left, a few siggns of surfacee wear. £8550 A picturesquue view of the Causey Arch, a singlearched bridgee built for a hoorse-drawn raailway for transporting coal from Tannfield Coal wo orks to the Built 1725-6 by b stonemason Ralph Woodd, River Tyne. B it was the lonngest single-sppan bridge in the country with an arch span of 31 meetres (102 ft), a record it heeld Over 900 horsee-drawn wago ons crossed eaach until 1756. O day. In the 199th century, thhe wooden traack was replaced withh metal rails, and a horses weere replaced byy stationary steeam winding engines. e The line l closed in 1962 but the arch was resttored in the 19 980s for publicc use. a a waterco olour by the Engraved byy J.C. Stadler after Newcastle arrtist Joseph Attkinson. Stock: 49817
A Perpetual Tab ble of The Su un's Rising and Settingg, to every degree d of Declination. Foor the City of Durham:_L Latitude 54: 47: 30'': 458.
Rare engraviing. Plate: 3500 x 250mm (13¾ x 9¾''), Whatman waatermark. Creaasing, small margins. m £2660 A table proviiding the details of the timees at which thee sun rises andd sets at Durhaam. Stock: 50388
60. Seaham m Church. 46 Richard Wallis 1784 sculp. Rare etching. Sheet: 85 x 1255mm (3½ x 5'''). Trimmed, gllue staining in n corners. £65 A view of St Mary's M Church in Seaham, County C Durham. D Stock: 50049
46 61. View of Woodchesster from Selsley Hill. [L London: Cadelll & Davies ett al, 1794.] Coloured aquattint on two plaates conjoined d, total 400 x 50mm (15¾ x 29½"), with vvery large maargins. Image 75 in n four sectionss, laid on thickk paper. £360 A general view w of Woodchesster from Sam muel Lysons's 'A An account of Roman antiquuities discoverred at Woodchester'. W Ly ysons (1763-1 1819) discover eries at Woodcchester Roman Villa in nclude the 'Orrpheus mosaicc', in 1793. Dating D to c. 325 5 AD, it is thee second largeest of its kind in n Europe, but is i covered by a churchyard. Abbey Sccenery: 143. Stock: 49815
46 62. [Colt Hunting H in thhe New Foreest.] Lu ucy Kemp-Welch 1897. Ph hotogravure, artist's a proof ssigned by the artist, a limited to o 275. Sheet 380 x 695mm ((15 x 27½"). Printsellers' P Association A blin nd stamp. Trim mmed within plate. £450 Riders rounding g up some of tthe New Foreest ponies. Lu ucy Kemp-Welch (1869-19958) exhibited d the original paainting (appro oximately 5ft x 10ft) at the Royal R Academy A in 1897, when she was only 26 years y old. It caaused a sensattion and was ppromptly sold for £525 to th he trustees of the t Chantrey B Bequest, a fun nd set up to bu uy British art to t create a nattional collection. Despite beeing set up in 1875 this wass only the third d artwork by a woman bough ht by them. Thhe painting waas then he Tate Gallerry when it opeened that traansferred to th yeear, but was never displayedd: it is said heer support for th he suffragette movement m meeant her work was bllacklisted by the t patriarchall establishmen nt. PSA Liimited Edition n Signed Proof of: 275 Stock: 50663
46 63. A View w of Baldockk in Hertford dshire. [&] The T Mill at Baldock B in H Herts.
459. Durh ham. Painted and E Engraved by T.L. T Busby. [n n.d., c.1820.] Engraving. S Sheet: 250 x 3225mm (10 x 12¾''). 1 Trimm med and slightly ffoxed. £1220 A view of Duurham from thhe River Wearr, figures can be seen washingg their clothess in the river and a a mountedd figure waterss his horse. Stock: 50109
Frrom a Drawin ng by Master C Chapman. Thee Figures by R. Pollard. Eng grav'd by F.Jukkes. London. Pub.d P as the Act A directs, Maay 1 1787 by FF. Jukes No.3 Howland Sttreet. Paair of coloured d aquatints wiith stipple. Each 380 x 49 95mm (15 x 19½"). Framedd. Paper toned d; artist's im mscription bad dly printed. Unnexamined ou ut of frame. £650 A pair of fine ru ustic views off Baldock, botth with ag gricultural themes. Stock: 50460
A Vieew of Ross, On the Riveer Wye, Herefordsh hire. 464.
London, Pubblished July 100th 1810, by R, R Lambe, 39, Fleet Street. Scarce & fine hand-colourred soft ground etching. Plate: 350 x 4430mm (13¾ x 17''). Stainiing and slight creasing. £3660 wye in A view of thee market townn of Ross-on-w Herefordshirre. Stock: 49756
465. [Clocck Tower, St Albans.] Drawn and E Etched by J. Scchnebbelie 17 786. London Pub.d Marchh 1st. 1787 by F. Jukes No.3 3 Howland St.. Rare etching, proof. Plate: 250 x 320mm m (9¾ x 12½'''). £1660 A view of thee clock tower in St Albans. One of a seriies of four etchinngs of the marrket town by Jacob J Schebbelie (1760-1792). Stock: 50409
St Allbans Abbeyy Church. To the Right Honourablle the Earl of o Verulam, Viscount Grimston, Baron Veru ulam of Gorhambury, Herts. A zeealous Prom moter of the Reparation n of St Alban ns Abbery-C Church, Thiss Print is most respecctfully inscrribed by Hiss Lordships very obedieent, Humblee Servant, Lewis L Nockallls C Cottingham.. Architect. 466.
Drawn on Stone by Mackeenzie. Printed by C. Hullmandel. [n.d., c.1832]] o india and letterpress. l Pamphlet witth lithograph on Sheet: 555 x 380mm (21¾ ¾ x 15"). Centrrefold as issueed. £1440 Some foxingg. A view of thee interior of thhe church of St S Albans, now w St Albans Caathedral. In 18832, part of the clerestory wall fell throough the ceilinng of the south h aisle leavingg a hole nearly 330ft long. Lew wis Nockalls Cottingham C waas called in to suurvey the dam mage and to prropose plans ffor repair. The aacompanying letterpress l preesents the mount needed to architects plaans as well as stating the am be raised for the repair. Money was to be b raised by public subscrription and thee letterpress liists the Londoon banks, printssellers and Boooksellers where subscriptioons could be receeived. Stock: 50099
467. [Alum m Bay.] [n.d., c.1845.] Sand paintingg on an embossed gilt card.. Card: 90 x 120mm (3½ x 4¾''). £885 ht made out oof An image Allum Bay on thhe Isle of Wigh coloured sannd. Stock: 50238
Brad ding Church h. The ''You ung Cottagerr'' lies buried here. ''Oh happy h saint,, may we lik ke thee be blesss'd In life be b faithful and in death find rest. 468.
Drawn with A Alum Bay Sannd. By E. Dorres Newport, II. of W. 1842.
Saand painting on o card, ink tittle. Card: 155 x 115mm (6 x 4½''). Staining g. £85 An A image of the of St Mary'ss Church in Brrading on the Issle of Wight made m out of cooloured sand. Stock: 50237
46 69. [Carisb brooke Casttle sand picture.] [n n.d., c.1850.] Im mage formed of o coloured saand. Sheet: 150 x 195mm (6 6 x 7¾''). £130 A view of Carissbrooke castlee from the gate, made from Alum A Bay sand d. Stock: 50307
47 70. Well House, H Carisbbrooke Casttle. Drawn with w Alum Ba ay Sand. Byy E. Dores, Newport N I. off. W. 1843. Saand painting on o card, ink tittle. Card: 155 x 115mm (6 x 4½''). Slight loss left centree. £95 An A image of the of the well hhouse in Carissbrooke Castle on the Issle of Wight m made out of co oloured sand. Stock: 50235
47 71. The Ke eep, Carisbrrooke Castlee. I. of W. Drawn D with Alum A Bay SSand. 1852. Saand painting on o card, ink tittle. Card: 155 x 115mm (6 x 4½''). £65 An A image of the of the keep iin Carisbrook ke Castle on th he Isle of Wigh ht made out oof coloured san nd. Stock: 50236
47 72. Osbour rne House I of W. Saand painting on o card. Card: 90 x 125mm (3½ x 5''). Sttaining. £95 An A image of the royal residennce of Osborn ne House in Eaast Cowes maade out of colooured sand. Stock: 50234
47 73. Shankllin Chine, I oof W. Drawn D with Alu um Bay Sand.. By E. Dores Newport, I. off W. 1843. Saand painting on o card, ink tittle, with tissuee cover. Card: 115 x 155 5mm (4½ x 6'''). Laid on alb bum sheet. £95 An A image of Sh hanklin Chinee on the Isle off Wight made ou ut of coloured d sand. Stock: 50239
The p paternal Hoouse of S.r Issaac Newton n in which H He was borntthe 25th. Da ay of Dec.r 1642 at Wooolsthorpe Lincolnshire L e. Here Newton daw wn'd, here loftly l Wisdo om woke... 474.
T. Tinkler deel. 1772. S. Spparrow sculp. Engraving. P Plate: 155 x 1885mm (6 x 7¼ ¼''). Small margins. £1220 W A view of thee yeoman's faarmstead of Woolsthorpe Manor in Linncolnshire whhere Isaac New wton (16421726) was boorn. Stock: 49889
475. Earlh ham [old ink k mss. on alb bum sheet.] [n.d., c.1880.] m (5½ x 7¾"). Mounted on Photograph. 140 x 195mm £1220 album paper.. Earlham Hall. built 1642, childhood hom me of Elizabeeth ker prison Fry (née Gurrney, 1780-1845), the Quak reformer. Inn 1963 Earlham m Hall became the home off n houses thhe the new Univversity of Eastt Anglia and now UEA Law Scchool. Stock: 50189
Melton M Constab ble Hall, builtt 1664-70, now grade 1 lissted. The Park k was landscapped by Capab bility Brown in n 1764-9. Stock: 49823
[Norwiich] A View of Bishops Bridge B frrom the Ferrry. [&] A Viiew of the Cathedral C frrom Hardys Grove. 47 78.
R. Ladbrooke delin. d S. Alkenn Jun.r fecit. Norwich N Pu ublished by R. R Ladbrooke JJan.y 1st 1806 6. Paair of rare aqu uatints. Plate 3360 x 480mm (14¼ x 19"), with w large marg gins, & sheet 3360 x 485mm m (14¼ x 19"). 'H Hardy's Grove'' trimmed withhin plate, repaairs off image on n left. £460 Tw wo views of Norwich. N Bishhop Bridge fro om the banks off the River Weensum, built in 1340 and sttlll in use, making m it one of o the oldest acctive bridges in England. Also A a view loo oking down onn Norwich Caathedral from a field above th he city. Robert Ladbroo oke (1768-18442), a painter and drawing master m at Norw wich, founded tthe Norwich Society S of Artists A in 1803 with John Croome and Jamees Sillett. Stock: 49818
Stanfieeld Hall, Thee Seat of thee late Mr. Jeermy. Who was Assassi sinated Noveember 28th 18 848. 47 79.
J.T. Wood. Hollywell sc. [n.dd., c.1849.] ngraving. Sheeet: 110 x 145m ¾''). Paper En mm (4¼ x 5¾ to one. £45 A view of Stanfield Hall, Noorwich where Isaac Jermy an nd his son Isaaac Jermy Jerm my were shot and a killed in th heir porch by their t delinquannt tenant farm mer James Bloomfield Russh. Rush had m mortgaged an nd remortgaged m his farm f several titimes and with h time ru unning up and he hadn't raissed the funds to t repay the lo oans, facing ev viction he cam me up with a plan p to try and deefraud the Jerm my's of their pproperty and lives. He was haanged in Norw wich Castle inn 1849. Stock: 49900
[Mon nument to Thomas T Cok ke, Holkham m
Hall.] [n.d., c.1840.] mm (22½ x Very rare lithhograph. Sheeet 570 x 370m 14½"). Stain at top right. £3660 H Halll, The monumeent to 'Coke off Norfolk' at Holkham Norfolk, buillt by subscripttion of £5,000 0, designed byy William Donnthorne and coompleted in 18 851. Thomas Willliam Coke (17754-1842), 1stt Earl of Leicester, fam med as an agrricultural reforrmer. Stock: 49525
The S South West View of Meelton Constable iin the County of Norfollk, the Seat of S.r Jacob b Astley, Baart:t, is hum mbly Inscrib''d by His Oblig'd Serv:ts Sam:l & Na ath:l Buck. 477.
Sam.l & Nathh.l Buck delinn. et sculp.t Au ugust 1741. N No I Garden Couurt Middle Teemple. Engraving, 18th century watermark. w 380 0 x 600mm (115 £2880 x 23½"). Split in fold, creaases.
48 80. The No orth Prospecct of Worksop Mannor, M in th he County oof Nottingha am, one of th he Seats of the Most Nobble Edward d Duke of Norfolk... N Saam.l & Nath.l Buck delin. eet sculp.t. publish'd acccording to Acct of Parliam.tt July 2nd 174 45. No I Garden G Court Middle-Templ M le, London. Rare engraving g. 390 x 600mm mm (15½ x 23½ ½"), with laarge margins. Repaired R tear entering platee on left, ed dges scrappy. £380 Worksop W Mano or, built in the 1580s for thee 6th Earl of Sh hrewsbury, prrobably designned by Robertt Smythson an nd burnt down n in 1761. Stock: 49824
48 81. A Plan of the Gard dens at Boug ghton in Northampton N n Shire, conttaining 110 acres. One off the Seats of o the most N Noble John, Duke of Montague, M Earl of Monttague, Viscou unt Mount Herman H & Baron Montaague of Brou ughton... T. Badeslade deelin. Toms scuulp.t. [London n, n.d., 1739.]
Engraved maap. 450 x 565m mm (17¾ x 22 2¼"). Large margins withh some wear, split s in lower centre fold. £3880 ns of Boughtoon A plan of thee famous ornaamental garden House, laid oout following the 'Golden Ratio' R by John Montague (1690-1749), 2nnd Duke of Montague, M n-law of the known as 'Joohn the Planterr'. The son-in Duke of Marrlborough, Moontagu was on ne of the founding govvernors of the Foundling Ho ospital, a felloow of the Royal College of Phhysicians and the Royal M of the Premier P Grannd Society in 17725, a Grand Master Lodge of Enggland, a Knighht of the Garteer and recipien ent of the Order of the Bath. His H London residence, Montague Hoouse, became the first homee of the Britissh Museum. Stock: 49826
48 86. 63. Vue e D'Optiquee Représenta ant Universiatis U ac a Reginæ C Collegorum prospectus Oxfordiæ. O Le College dee l'Universitte, et celui dee la Reine a Oxford. A Paris chez Jaacques Chereaau rue St Jacqu ues au dessus dee la Fontaine St S Severin auxx 3 Colonnes No N 257. En ngraving with h original handd colour, 18th h century watermark. w 295 5 x 430mm (1 1¾ x 17"). Sm mall margins. £180 A view of the High H Street, O Oxford, with University U College and Th he Queen's Coollege. As a vu uë d'optique w through a zog grascope, (i.e. a print desiigned to view which w used lensses and mirrorrs to give an impression i of deepth), the imag ge has been reeversed. Stock: 50440
The S South-West Prospect off the City off Carlisle. 482.
Sam.l & Nathh.l Buck del. et e sculp. Published accordinng to Act of Parrliam.t April 15th 1745,. Gaarden Court N No 1. Middle Teemple Londonn [but publisheed by Robert Sayer c.17744]. Engraving. P Plate: 315 x 8000mm (12½ x 31½''). £3330 Trimmed in pplate on lowerr edge. A detailed prrospect of Carrlisle, with a 18-point key below. From the seriies 'Buck's Peerspective Views of Cities and Chief Toowns in Englaand and Waless'. Stock: 50052
483. Oxfo ord. From th he South Weest. Drawn by W W. Westall ARA A. Printed by C. Hullmandeel. London. Pubblished by Roddwell and Marrtin: 40 Argylll Street, & 46 New Bond Stt. Mar 20, 182 22. with hand coloour. Printed arrea: 210 x Lithograph w 315mm (8¼ x 12½") Creaased, scratch in n image. £2220 A view of Oxxford from thee Thames, from William Westall's 'Views on the Thhames', published in 1823. Stock: 50005
View w of High Strreet, Oxford d, taken aboout
1765. Engraved byy J. Skelton _ Drawn D by J. Donowell. D 821 by J. Published as the Act directs, Sept.r 1 18 Skelton, Maggdalen Bridgee, Oxford. Engraving. 2210 x 280mm (8¼ x 11"), with w large margins. £1440 A view of thee High Street,, from Joseph Skelton's 'Oxonia Antiiqua Restauratta', published in parts 1818-20 and compplete in 1823. Stock: 50006
Oxfoord; From th he Seat on th he New Path h to Pullin's T Tree. Pl. 355. 485.
J. Whessell ddel.t et Sculp.tt 1822. Etching on chhine collé. 115 x 155mm (4 4½ x 6"), withh large marginns. £770 Oxford. Prospect of O By and after John Whessell (c.1760 - 18 824 or after). Stock: 50007
[Queen ns College & Univeristy College] 63 3. Vue D'Op ptique Repréésentant Le College de L'Universite, L et celui de lla Reine a Oxford. O 48 87.
A Paris chez Jaacques Chereaau rue St Jacqu ues au dessus dee la Fontaine St S Severin auxx 2 Colonnes No N 257. En ngraving with h original handd colour. 300 x 430mm (1 11¾ x 17"). Seeveral repairedd tears, backed with paper. Sm mall margins. £180 A reversed view w of Oxford H High Street designed to be viiewed through h a zograscopee, an optical device d that gaave perspectiv ve to the imagge. Stock: 50003
Vue du u College de S.te Marie et de l'H Hotel de Villle d'Oxfordd. 48 88.
A Paris chez J. Chereau rue SSt Jacques au dessus de la Fo ontaine St Sev verin. En ngraving with h original handd colour, 18th h century watermark. w 295 5 x 430mm (1 1¾ x 17"). £180 A view of the St S Aldate's, Oxxford, with thee Town Hall an nd Tom Tower, the bell tow wer over the en ntrance gate off Christ Churcch. As a vuë dd'optique (i.e. a print deesigned to view through a zzograscope, which used leenses and mirrrors to give ann impression of o depth), the im mage has been n reversed. Stock: 50441
A Vieew of Lincoln Hill, with h the Iron Bridge in th he Distance,, Taken from m the Side oof the River S Severn. 489.
A view of the to own of Southw wold on the Suffolk S coast with w a key belo ow. Stock: 50112
G. Robertsonn Pinxit. Jamees Fittler Sculp psit. Publishedd Feb.y 1st. 17788 by John & Josiah Boydeell, No. 90 Cheapside, L London. Engraving. 5520 x 342mm. Small margin ns. £4880 A view of thee river Severnn at Ironbridgee, with miningg activity to the left and the bridge itself in the distancee on right. Stock: 50065
490. Abbeey Church. [n.d., c.1800.] ½''). Hand-coloured etching. Shheet: 155 x 115mm (6 x 4½ £665 Damage. A view of thee Abbey churcch at Bath. Stock: 50578
[Ham m Green the Seat of Rich.d Bright Esq.][in pencil.] 491.
[n.d., c.1830.] 2 x 380mm (10½ x 15''), A rare lithoggraph. Sheet: 270 with very larrge margins. £885 A view acrosss to Ham Greeen House neaar Bristol. Ham m Green Housee was the hom me of physician n Richard Bright (17899-1858). Stock: 50595
[View w looking foown the Avon from Durdham D Down.][in pencil.] 492.
[n.d., c.1830.] 2 x 380mm (10½ x 15''), A rare lithoggraph. Sheet: 270 with very larrge margins. £995 A view lookiing south dow wn the river Av von at the stretch of waater where the Clifton Suspeension Bridgee is now located. Stock: 50594
The F Front of Helmingham Hall H in the County of S Suffolk, thee Seat of thee R.t Hon.blee The Earl off Dysart, Too whom this plate is mosst humbly Insscrib'd By his h Lordship ps most Obedient m most humblee Servants Geo. G Forsterr, H.y Chapp pelle J. Wilcoox. 493.
R. Parr Sculpp. [London, c.1739.] Engraving. T Two sheets connjoined, total,, 465 x 580mm m (18¼ x 22¾""). Tear enterinng plate taped d, wide marginns with wear. £4220 Elevation of Helmingham Hall, with thee bridge over o by the Tollemache the 60ft moatt. It has been owned family since 1480. Stock: 49820
The S Southwest Prospect P of Southwold. S To the Hon n.ble Edw: Vernon V Esq..r This Platee is Dedicated by his moost humble Servant, S Thoos. Gardner. 494.
[n.d., c.1750.] Sheet: 130 x 290mm (5 x 11 1½''). Trimmeed Engraving. S with small teear centre top. £1220
Front view v of Clarremont, Thee Seat of heer Royal Highness Prinncess Charlo otte of Saxe Coburg, C takeen with her R Royal Highn nesses sp pecial permiission by J. H Hassell 1817 7. 49 95.
En ngraved by D. Havell. Londdon Published d Dec.r 31. 18 817 by Burkitt & Hudson 885, Cheapside.. Aquatint A with very v fine handd colour. 280 x 350mm (11 x 13¾"). Unexaamined out off frame. £260 A fine view of Claremont, ann 18th century y Palladian mansion m situateed less than a m mile south of Esher in Su urrey. Its land dscape garden,, with follies including i the Belvedere Tow wer, a turf ampphitheatre and grottoes, wass L 'Capaability' Brown n in the reedesigned by Lancelot 17 770s. Stock: 50443
49 96. Bognor r. Drawn D & Engraaved by Will.m m Daniell. Pu ublished by W. W Daniell, Cleeveland Streett, Fitzroy Squaare, London, Aug.t A 1, 1823. Aquatint A with original o hand ccolour on thicck paper. 230 x 290mm (9 x 11½"). 1 £160 A view of the beach b at Bogno nor, with horsee drawn baathing huts an nd lobster potss. Frrom the subscription issue oof William Daaniell's 'A Voyage V Round Great Britainn', a series of 308 3 aquatints pu ublished in eig ght volumes bbetween 1814--1825, deescribed by R.V. Tooley as 'the most imp portant colourr pllate book on British B Topogrraphy'. Abbey: Scenery, 16 6; Tooley: Boo oks with Colooured Plates 177. Stock: 49780
49 97. [Six 'Se ea Side Skettches'] [V Various publisshers, c.1870.]] Siix steel engrav vings, each c. 100 x 115mm m (4 x 4½"), triimmed and laid on album ppaper with threee other prrints. £90 Saatires relating to bathing at Brighton. Pub blishers in nclude ''J.S. & Co.'', ''Newm man & Co.'' & ''Kershaw & So on''. Stock: 50448
50 03. The Ea ast Prospect of Four Oa aks Hall in Warwickshir W re, the seat oof the R.t Ho on.ble the la ate Lord Follliot. Hen. H Beighton F.R.S. delin. E E. Kirkall Feccit. [London: Jo ohn Osborn & Thomas Long ngman, 1730.] En ngraving. 365 x 410mm (144½ x 16"), with very large £380 margins. m Fo our Oaks Halll, Sutton Colddfield, built by y Henry Fo olliott, 1st Barron Folliott, inn 1677, demollished 1898. Fo our Oaks Park k is now a weaalthy residentiial area. Stock: 49816
View of Great Beddwin & Wan nsdike 2 Iu uly 1723 Leu ucomagus. 50 04. 498. [Six 'Sea Side Sk ketches'] [Various pubblishers, c.18770.] Six steel enggravings, each c. 100 x 115m mm (4 x 4½") , trimmed andd laid on album m paper with three t other prints. £990 P Satires relatinng to bathing at Brighton. Publishers include ''J.S. & Co.'' & ''Keershaw & Son n''. Stock: 50449
499. [Seveen 'Sea Side Sketches'] [Various pubblishers, c.18770.] Seven steel eengravings, eaach c. 100 x 11 15mm (4 x 4½"), trimmeed and laid onn album paper with two otheer prints. £990 P Satires relatinng to bathing at Brighton. Publishers include ''J.S. & Co.'', ''New wman & Co.'' & ''Kershaw & Son''. Stock: 50450
500. [Six ''Sea Side Sk ketches'] [Various pubblishers, c.18770.] Six steel enggravings, each c. 100 x 115m mm (4 x 4½") , trimmed andd laid on album m paper with three t other prints. £990 P Satires relatinng to bathing at Brighton. Publishers include ''J.S. & Co.'' & ''Keershaw & Son n''. Stock: 50451
501. [Six ''Sea Side Sk ketches'] [Various pubblishers, c.18770.] Six steel enggravings, each c. 100 x 115m mm (4 x 4½") , trimmed andd laid on album m paper with four f other prints. £990 P Satires relatinng to bathing at Brighton. Publishers include ''J.S. & Co.'' & ''Keershaw & Son n''. Stock: 50452
502. [Six ''Sea Side Sk ketches'] [Various pubblishers, c.18770.] Six steel enggravings, each c. 100 x 115m mm (4 x 4½") , trimmed andd laid on album m paper with three t other prints. £990 P Satires relatinng to bathing at Brighton. Publishers include ''J.S. & Co.'' & ''Keershaw & Son n''. Stock: 50453
Sttukely del. [17 723.] Ettching. Plate: 175 x 290mm m (7 x 11½''), with w very laarge margins. £140 A view in Wiltsshire showingg the start of th he Wansdyke,, a man made defensive ditch w which runs fro om n Combe near Saavernake, near Marlboroughh to Monkton Bath. The villag ge of Great Beedwyn is show wn on the ght. William Stukely S was an antiquarian who took rig grreat interest in n the prehistorric monuments at Sttonehenge and d Avebury. Stock: 50288
[Askern n Spa] Askeerne Spaw. Yorkshire. Y
18 829. On O Stone by J. Stubbs. [c.18229.] Rare lithograph h. Printed areaa 200 x 295mm m (8 x 11½"), with w large marg gins. Dusty onn left. £130 A view of Askeern (near Donc ncaster), from across Askern A Spa Poo ol. It was brieefly a spa tow wn before coal beecame more im mportant. Stock: 50458
50 06. The Ne ew Gatewayy at the Arch hbishop of York's Y Palace at Bishoptthorpe - 176 69. Tho.s Atkinson A Arcchitect. Michael M Angelo o Rooker delinn.t. Edward Rooker R Scculp.t. [c.1769 9.] Rare etching. 340 x 555mm ((13½ x 21¾")). Thread margins m on threee sides, top riight corner daamaged, reepaired tears in n title right. £240 Th he Gothic Reevival gatewayy of Bishoptho orpe Palace, bu uilt by Thomaas Atkinson inn 1769, now Grade G 1 listed. Stock: 49827
50 07. Rievaulx Abbey. Y Yorkshire. Drawn D by J.M.W W Turner, R.A A. Engraved by b E. Goodall. G Publisshed March 1.. 1827 for the Proprietor byy Robert Jennings, Poultry. Priinted by Mc.Q Queen. En ngraving, prin nted on chine ccollé. Plate: 245 2 x 310mm (9 9 x 12''), with large marginss. £130 A view of the ruined cisterciaan abbey in th he North Yorkshire Y moorrs. Stock: 50652
To Siir Christoph her Sykes Bar. This Vieew of Scarboroough Is most respectfully Dedicateed by his hum mble Servantt, R. Wilkinsson. 508.
Drawn by F. Nicholson. Engraved E by W. W Lowry. bert Wilkinsonn, London Publlished 1 Aug.tt 1799 by Rob No 55 Cornhhill. Scarce engraaving, proof onn india. 370 x 470mm (14½ ½x 18½"). Trimm med to plate lower left, new w margin addeed, old ink mss iin top margin,, laid on archiv val paper. £3220 A view of Sccarborough loooking across the t bay to the castle. Stock: 50656
[The Grand Hottel] The Cliff ff Hotel, Scarborouggh. Cuthbert Broderick k, Leeds & London, Arrchitect. 509.
Day & Son, L Lith.rs to the Queen. Q [n.d., c.1862.] Scarce tintedd lithograph. Printed P area 36 60 x 450mm, very large maargins. Creasiing. £4880 An early desiign for what became b the Grrand Hotel, byy the same archhitect Cuthberrt Broderick (1821-1905), lacking the fo four distinctivee turrets in thee corners. A pencil note, 'received by Post P from Mr Theakston T 20 y before June 1862', ssuggests it wass printed the year construction began. However it imaginees the hotel complete, wiith promenadeers, riders and swimming huuts on the beach w completed d in 1867 it haad By the time tthe building was cost £100,0000 and was thee largest brick building and the largest hootel in Europee. Stock: 49830
510. [Aberdovay Ferrry Merionetthshire.] [W. Burgess??] [n.d., c.17885.] Hand-coloured etching. Shheet: 300 x 410mm (11¾ x 16''). Trimmeed in oval andd mounted on card with wassh mount, markking in marginns. £3660 An extremelyy rare & fine view v of Aberd dyfi or Aberdovaey on the west cooast of Wales, the village iss ures ride on thhe shown in thee distance, whiile several figu beach in the foreground. An A interesting etching attributed to W. Burgess inn pencil on baack.
N. N Pocock del.tt. Wells sculptt. London, Published June 1sst 1798 by Joh hn Jeffreys, Luudgate Hill. Rare aquatint. Sheet S 525 x 6990mm (20¾ x 27¼"). Trrimmed within n plate on threee sides. Repairs to edges an nd into image on right. £420 A very large aq quatint of a vieew of the Norrman Conway Castle from thee beach, wheree a small boat approaches he shore. th Stock: 50662
51 13. Llandu udno, (from the Bay). Pu ublished by G.L. G Woodley, Llandudno. [n.d., [ c.1850.] Rare tinted litho ograph. Sheett: 300 x 410m mm (11¾ x 16 6''), with largee margins. Teaars in edges. £140 A view of the Welsh W seaside resort of Llan ndudno from th he sea, bathing g machines can an be seen on the t beach. Stock: 50565
51 14. View of Llangollen n Vale from Nant y Bellan. B J.G. Wood del.tt. M.C. Presteel aquatinta. Published by J.G. Wood, No.39 New Bondd Street, Oct.rr 1793. Aquatint. A Sheett: 290 x 350m mm (11½ x 13¾ ¾''). Trrimmed within n plate. £230 A view of the Welsh W Vale off Llangollen. Etched E by Maria M Katharin na Prestel (17447-1794). Stock: 50097
51 15. Penrhy yn Castle froom Garth Point. [n n.d., c.1845.] Rare tinted litho ograph. Sheett: 250 x 360m mm (9¾ x 14 4''), with largee margins. Teaars in edges. £110 A view of Penrhyn Castle froom the harbou ur at Bangor, Wales. W Stock: 50564
511. The H Harbour ligght-house, Holyhead. H Drawn & Enngraved by Wiill.m Daniell. Published by Mess.rs Longgman, & Co. Paternoster P Ro ow, & W. Daniell, 9 Clleveland St. Fiitzroy Square,, London. Jann.y, 2, 1815. m Aquatint withh fine originall hand colour.. 230 x 300mm (9 x 12"), witth large margiins. Some creasing. £1440 From William m Daniell's 'A A Voyage Rou und Great Britain', a serries of 308 aquatints publish hed in eight volumes betw ween 1814-18825, described d by R.V. Tooley as 'thhe most importtant colour plaate book on British Topography'. Abbeey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: Coloured Platees 177. Books with C Stock: 49801
To th he Right Honorable the Earl of Uxbridge, T This View of o Conway-C Castle in North Walees is respecttfully dedica ated by his obedient Seervant John n Jeffryes. 512.
51 16. North West W View oof Penrhyn Castle. H. H Hughes, del.t. G. Childs, llith. M. & N. Hanhart, lith. Prrinters. Published by W. Shhone, Bangor. [n.d., c.1845.] Rare lithograph h. Sheet: 280 x 380mm (11 x 15''), with veery large marg gins. Tear in eedge. £120 A view of Penrhyn Castle in Llandygai, Wales. W Stock: 50563
The S Sportsman'ss Bothie. To o George Rooke, Esq q.r this Printt is most resspectfully Inscribed b by his Obediient Servantts, Abr.m Cooper & W Will.m Gilleer. 517.
Painted by A A. Cooper, RA A. Engraved by y W. Giller. Published May 23rd 1836 by Hodgson & Graves, 8 Pall Mall. mezzotint. 385 x 460mm (1 15¼ x 18"), Rare & fine m large marginns. Slight spottting. £3220 hland bothy, a A hunter restting outside a thatched high kilted gillie sstanding by a horse-drawn h cart. c Ex collection off the Hon. Chrristopher Lenn nox Boyd
52 20. Obelisk k at Forres. Drawn D & Engraaved by Will.m m Daniell. Pu ublished by W. W Daniell, Cleeveland Streett, Fitzroy Squaare, Londno, Ju une 1. 1821. Fiine hand-colou ured aquatint.. Plate: 230 x 305mm (9 x £190 12 2''). A view of Suen no's stone, a Piicto-Scottish standing stone, the largest remaining. From William m Daniell's 'A Voyage V Round Great Britainn', a series of 308 3 aquatints pu ublished in eig ght volumes bbetween 1814--1825, deescribed by R.V. Tooley as 'the most imp portant colourr pllate book on British B Topogrraphy'. Abbey,, Scenery 16.
518. The C Clett-rock, Holborn-hea H ad. Drawn & Enngraved by Wiill.m Daniell. Published by Messrs. Longgman & Co., Paternoster P Ro ow & W.Daniell, 9 Cleveland Sttreet, Fitzroy Square, S London, Mayy 1, 1820. Aquatint, priinted in blue and a finished by y hand. 230 x 300mm, (9 x 11¾"), on thiick paper. Sm mall margins. £1880 o Caithness. A sea stack, off the coast of m Daniell's 'A A Voyage Rou und Great From William Britain', a serries of 308 aqquatints publish hed in eight volumes betw ween 1814-18825, described d by R.V. Tooley as 'thhe most importtant colour plaate book on British Topography'. Abbeey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: Coloured Platees 177. Books with C
52 21. The Fo orth Bridge, Length Including Viaduct, V 8098 8Ft. Height 369Ft. Span ns 1710Ft. Each. E 676.
Alex. A A. Inglis.. Landscape & Architecturaal Ph hotographer. Rock R House, C Carlton Hill. Edinburgh. E Siilver Medal, In nternational E Exhibition, Ed dinburgh 18 888. [1888.] Ph hotograph, mo ounted on cardd. 140 x 210m mm (5½ x 8¼ ¼''). £65 A photograph showing s the neearly completted Forth Bridge in Scotland which spaans the Firth of o the Forth from the villagees of North Quueensferry to South Queensferry Q an nd designed too carry railway y carriages. Construction was w started in 11882 and the bridge b was pened on the 4th 4 March 18990 by Duke off Rothesay, op laater Edward VII. Stock: 50245
52 22. 304. Th he Forth Briidge, From North N Queensferry. Q J.P. [n n.d., c.1885.] Ph hotograph, mo ounted on cardd. 140 x 210m mm (5½ x 8¼ ¼''). £65 A photograph showing s the paartially constrructed Forth Bridge in Scotland which spaans the Firth of o the Forth from the villagees of North Quueensferry to South Queensferry Q an nd designed too carry railway y carriages. Construction was w started in 11882 and the bridge b was pened on the 4th 4 March 18990 by Duke off Rothesay, op laater Edward VII. Stock: 50244
Steam m boat on th he Clyde nea ar Dumbarton n. 519.
Drawn & Enngraved by Wiill.m Daniell. Published by Messrs. Longgman & Co., Paternoster P Ro ow & W. Daniell, 9 Clleveland Streeet, Fitzroy Squ uare, London, Feb.y 1, 18177. Coloured aquuatint. Sheet 230 2 x 305mm (9 x 12"), J. £1220 Whatman 18830 watermarkk. Trimmed. A paddle-driven passengerr ferry on the River Clyde, Rock in the baackground. Dumbarton R From William m Daniell's 'A A Voyage Rou und Great Britain', a serries of 308 aqquatints publish hed in eight volumes betw ween 1814-18825, described d by R.V. Tooley as 'thhe most importtant colour plaate book on British Topography'. Abbeey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: Coloured Platees 177. Books with C Stock: 49796
52 23. Glasgow. From thee Green. A.R. A Grieve del. Friedel lithoog. London, Published P by Su ubscription at Friedel's Estaablishment, 15 5, So outhampton Street, Strand, 1835. Rare & scarce lithograph. l Shheet 380 x 520 0mm (15 x 50 0½"), with large margins. R Repaired tear, surface sk kinning in marrgins and insccription area, not n affecting im mage. £280 A view of the city c with milkm maids in the foreground. f Stock: 50417
524. Dunrrobin Castlee. Drawn & Enngraved by Wiill.m Daniell. Published by W. Daniell, 9 Cleveland St. Fitzroy Squ uare, London. June 1, 1821. 0 x 300mm (9 x Aquatint withh original hannd colour. 230 12"), large m margins; on thiick Whatman paper watermarkedd ''Turkey Milll 1820''. £1440 Dunrobin Caastle from the North Sea, sh howing it befoore the rebuildinng work by Sirr Charles Barrry 1835-50. m Daniell's 'A A Voyage Rou und Great From William Britain', a serries of 308 aqquatints publish hed in eight volumes betw ween 1814-18825, described d by R.V. Tooley as 'thhe most importtant colour plaate book on British Topography'. Abbeey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: Coloured Platees 177. Books with C Stock: 49799
28. East Viiew of the C City of Waterford. 52 T.S. Roberts deel. S. Alken feecit. London, Pub.d P by T.S. Roberts Dec.r 10. 1 1795. Rare aquatint, printed p in coloours and hand-finished. 36 60 x 470mm (14¼ ( x 18½").. Trimmed wiithin plate, ed dges coloured left & right. £380 A picturesque landscape, a pplate from 'Vieews in Ireland' by Thomas Sautell R Roberts. Stock: 50667
52 29. Belfast. Pu ublished 1837 7, at Friedel's E Estab.t, 15, So outhampton Sttreet, Strand, London. L Rare lithograph h. Sheet 405 x 495mm (16 x 19½"), with laarge margins. Repaired R tear and surface skinning in in in nscription areaa, creasing in iimage middle right. £280 A view of the city c from the bbanks of the Lagan. L Stock: 50419
Castle Hume near Loch Erne,, County Fermanagh. 53 30.
Pu ublished 1837 7, at Friedel's E Estab.t, 15, So outhampton Sttreet, Strand. Sccarce & rare liithograph. She heet 385 x 495mm (18¼ x 19 9½"), with large margins. R Repaired tears and surface sk kinning in in in nscription areea, not affectin ng image. £420 An A atmosphericc image showi wing a coursing g event held in n the grounds of o Tully Castlle.
Thom mas Fagan. Taken in a Wood in Ireland Jully 1810_afteer 14 Years concealmen c nt. 525.
P. Roberts scc. London, Pubblished by Jon nes & Co. 1 June 1824. Sheet: 210 x 130mm (8¼ x 5''). Trimmedd. Engraving. S £880 wing the captuured Thomas Fagan F sitting oon A scene show a bench outsiide a house annd surrounded d by soldiers aand onlookers. Faagan was founnd in a wood, he was taken as a deserter andd he may have been in hiding since the rebellion of 11798. Fagan reportedly refu used clothing and preferredd to eat raw meat. m
53 31. Ennisk killen. Prrinted at Fried del's Estab.t, 1 5, Southamptton Street, Sttrand. Publish hed 1837, at Frriedel's Estab..t, 15, So outhampton Street, Strand, London. Rare & scarce lithograph. l Shheet 410 x 500 0mm (16 x 19 9¾"), with large margins. R Repaired tear and a surface sk kinning in in in nscription areea, not affectin ng image. £320 A view of the city c from a fielld across the River R Erne. Stock: 50418
526. Charrles Phillips Esq.r. Engraved byy S. Watts, from m the originall Painting by W W. Published by W. Reynolds,, 137 Oxford Yellowlees. P Street, Marchh 25, 1819. Engraving, pprinted on chinne collé. Plate: 200 x 155mm m (8 x 6''), withh very large margins. m Foxin ng in borders. £775 C Phillip s A portrait off Irish barristerr and writer Charles (1787-1859).. Stock: 50583
527. The eentrance to Waterford Harbour. H T.S. Roberts del.t. J.W. Eddy fecit. Lond don, Pub.d Augg.t T.S. Roberts. 1. 1796 by T Fine & rare aaquatint, printted in colours and handfinished. 3600 x 470mm (144¼ x 18½"), on o Whatman paper dated 11801, very larrge margins. £4880 A picturesquue landscape, a plate from 'V Views in Ireland' by T Thomas Sautelll Roberts. Stock: 50666
53 32. Wien. Nach N d. Nat. geez u. lith. v. W Wage. Gedr. v. G. Reiffenstein. [n n.d., c.1840.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 2855 x 420mm (11¼ x 16½''). £230 Trrimmed. A view of Vien nna from Nusssdorf in the weest. Nussdorf was w once a sepaarate municipaality but is no ow a suburb off the city. Stock: 49597
Horlog ge Astronom mique de la Cathédrale C dee Strasbourg. Construiite en 1842 par p J.B. Scchwilgué. 53 33.
Dessiné D d'aprèss nature par J. Burck. Imp.t.. Lith.e en co ouleurs E. Sim mon à Strasbouurg. Se trouvee chez E. Siimo, Imp.r Litth.e à Strasbouurg. Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 4990 x 350mm (19¼ x 13¾''), £160 with w very large margins. An A interior view w of Notre-Daame in Strasbo ourg, sh howing the larrge astronomiccal clock. Theere has been a cllock in the cathedral since th the 14th century, this is the
third. The cloock has a perppetual calendaar, orrery and a display show wing the sun annd the moon and a solar and lunar eclipses.
A view of the mausoleum m in Paris for greaat statesmen. An A illustration from ''Pictureesque Views of Public Ed difices in Pariis'' by W. Segaard. Abbey 10 04.
The E Elysian Fiellds: Distant Gardens of the Tuileriees: The New w Bridge: Qu uai d'Arsai: Palace of th he Corps Leegislatie. Ch hamps Elysées: Jaardin de Tuiileries, vu dee loin. Pont d de la Concord de: Quai d'A Arsai: Palais du Corps Legislatie.
53 39. La France de nos jjours. No. 53 5 Vue du Thèatre, T A Rennes. R
[P.A. Demacchy.] [n.d., c.1810.] Engraving w with text page. Plate: 340 x 530mm 5 (13¼ x 21''), very larrge margins. £2330 A view of thee Louvre, the Tuilerie Gard dens and Pont Neuf. Stock: 50609
Asselineau A del.t et lith. Imp. Destouches, rue r Paradis P..re 28. Paris, F. F Sinnett, Ediiteur, Passagee Colbert. [n n.d., c.1845.] Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 3110 x 445mm (12 x 17½''). £130 A view of the th heatre in Rennnes. Stock: 49602
54 40. The Ga arden and W West Front of o the Tuileries. T Lee Jardin & lee Palais des Tuileries. En ngraving with h text page. Plaate: 300 x 475 5mm (11¾ x 18 8¾''), with verry large margiins. Creasing. £220 A view of the ornamental o gar ardens by the Tuileries T paalace in Paris. Stock: 50605
Garden n of the Tuilleries. Jardin des Tuileries. T 54 41.
South h View of th he Old and New N Louvree. Le Vieux & le Nouveau u Louvre. 535.
Demachy Pinnx.t. Angus scculp. [n.d., c.1810.] Engraving. P Plate: 290 x 5000mm (11½ x 19¾''), with very large maargins. Slight central creasee and repair onn right. £2330 P A view acrosss the Seine too the Louvre Palace. Stock: 50606
The M Mint: or; Laa Monnoie. The Facadee of the Louvvre. 536.
[P.A. Demacchy.] S. Porterr sculp. [n.d., c.1810.] c Engraving w with text page. Plate: 300 x 555mm 5 (12 x 21¾''), with vvery large maargins. £2330 A view of thee Louvre and the Mint in Paris, a preacheer stands on a stool pointing at images of demonic d figurres Stock: 50608
537. L'Inttérieur de Notre N Dame. [Gale, Curtiss and Fenner.][1814.] Hand-coloured aquatint. Sheet: S 275 x 210mm (10¾ x £550 8¼''). A view of thee interior of thhe medieval cathedral in Paris. An illuustration from m ''Picturesque Views of Public Edificces in Paris'' by W. Segard. Abbey 104. Stock: 50285
538. Panth heon. [Gale, Curtiss and Fenner.][1814.] Hand-coloured aquatint, with w letterpresss sheet. Sheet : m (10¾ x 8¼'''). 275 x 210mm £550
[P P.A. Demachy y.] [n.d., c.18110.] En ngraving with h text page. Plaate: 315 x 580 0mm (12½ x 21 1¾''), with verry large margiins. £230 A view of the ornate o gardenss of the Tuilerries, many peeople promenaade through thhe paths including two men m in turbans.. Stock: 50607
54 42. Palace of the Tuileeries facing La L Place du u Carrousel. C Palais P du Goovernment. Sp parrow sc. En ngraving. Platte: 265 x 580m mm (10½ x 23 3''), with very laarge margins Creasing. C £230 A view of the Tuileries T in Paaris, part of thee complex which w included d the Louvre PPalace, the Tuiileries was bu urned down in n the Paris Com mmune 1871.. Stock: 50604
54 43. Gibralttar, taken frrom the Wesstward. N. N Pocock del. W. Ellis sculpp. Publish'd Dec. D 1. 1800 by y Bunney & Gold. G Aquatint. A Sheett: 145 x 245m mm (5¾ x 9¾'')). Trimmed. £85 A distant view of the Rock oof Gibraltar wiith the bay fu ull of ships. Stock: 49940
View of the Rock oof Gibraltarr. Vista del Peñon de Gib braltar. 54 44.
Cassien I.e. J. Martinez. M Litoog. de la Revissta Médica 1840.] Cadiz. [n.d., c.1 ph. Sheet 265 x 420mm (10 0½ x 16½"). Tiinted lithograp Trrimmed into inscriptions att side, losing publication p lin ne at bottom?,, several repaiired tears at ed dges. £230 A view of Gibraltar from aboove Algeciras, with the Romanesque aq queduct built 1777-83. Stock: 50673
Nord d=Oestliche Ansicht von n dem Choragisch hen Denkmaahle des And dronikos Kyrrhrstess. 545.
J. Thürmer ddis in Atene 18819 e incise in n Roma 1825. [Rome 1825..] Scarce engraaving. 430 x 3770mm (17 x 14"), 1 large margins. £3660 o the Horolog gion of The Tower oof the Winds or Andronikos K Kyrrhestes, buuilt c.50BC an nd consideredd the world's fiirst meteoroloogical station. Under Ottom man rule it becam me a tekke (a Sufi S meeting place) p and wass used by whirrling dervishess. From Josephh Thürmer's 'A Ansichten von Athen und seinen Denkm mahlen', engraaved and publlished in Rom me. The style of tthe engravingg resembles Lu uigi Rossini, who was pubblishing his ow wn views of Rome R at the same time. Stock: 49994
Sued d=Oestliche Ansicht A von n dem Choragisch hen Denkmaahle des Lÿssikrates. 546.
J. Thürmer ddis in Atene 18819 e incise in n Roma 1825. [Rome 1825..] Scarce engraaving. 420 x 3770mm (16½ x 14½"), largee margins. £3660 o Lysicrates in Athens, buiilt The Choragicc Monument of 335-4 BC to commemoratte one of the performances p own as part off Lysicrates haad sponsored. Here is is sho the walls of tthe French Caapuchin monasstery that had been built aroound it. After the convent was w burned byy the Ottomanss during the Greek G War of Independence I e (1821-30), thhe monument was exposed and the monkks tried to sell itt, with Lord Elgin E being on ne of the potential buyyers. Howeverr it stayed in place p and has now been resstored. From Josephh Thürmer's 'A Ansichten von Athen und seinen Denkm mahlen', engraaved and publlished in Rom me. The style of tthe engravingg resembles Lu uigi Rossini, who was pubblishing his ow wn views of Rome R at the same time. Stock: 49993
547. Femm me de l'isle de d Cassos. XXIV. X L. Ferretti scc. [1828.] Fine & rare hhand-colouredd engraving. Plate: P 260 x 205mm (10¼ ¼ x 8''). Light staining aroun nd edges and marking. £1440 man from the island of Kasoos, A portrait off a young wom sitting on a ccushion and brraiding her hair. An illustration frrom 'Costumees & Usages des Peuples de la Grèce Moderrne dessinés sur les lieux...' by Otto Magnus van Stackelberg (1787-1837). Stock: 50484
548. Femm me de l'isle de d Thermia. XX. B. Conforti ssc. [1828.] Fine hand-cooloured engravving. Plate: 26 60 x 205mm (10¼ x 8''). L Light staining around edgess. £1440 A portrait off a woman from m the Greek issland of Kythnos. Ann illustration frrom 'Costumes & Usages dees Peuples de laa Grèce Modeerne dessinés sur s les lieux... ' by Otto Maggnus van Stackkelberg (1787--1837). Stock: 50482
54 49. Femme e de Mitylènne. VIII. G. G Morchetti scc. [1828.] Hand-coloured H engraving. Pllate: 260 x 205mm (10¼ x 8''). Light stainiing around eddges. £140 A portrait of a woman w from M Mitylene on th he island of Leesbos, shown sitting on the ground holding a basket an nd a curved kn nife. An illustrration from 'C Costumes & Usages U des Peu uples de la Grèèce Moderne dessinés d sur lees lieux...' by Otto O Magnus vvan Stackelbeerg (178718 837). Stock: 50481
55 50. Officier r Grec de N Nauplie en 18 825. XXIX. L. Ferretti sc. [1828.] ured engravinng. Plate: 260 x 205mm Fiine hand-colou (1 10¼ x 8''). Lig ght staining aroound edges an nd marking. £140 A portrait of an n officer from Nafplio. An illustration i from 'Costumess & Usages dees Peuples de la Grèce Moderne M dessin nés sur les lieuux...' by Otto Magnus M van Sttackelberg (17 787-1837). Stock: 50483
55 51. Fontan na Di Veneree Posta Nel Piano P Dell' Organo. O 22. Gio: G Francesco Venturini dell. et inc. [n.d.,, c.1680.] En ngraving. Platte: 220 x 320m mm (8¾ x 12½ ½''), with veery large marg gins. £240 A view of Gian n Lorenzo Bern rnini's fountain ns at the Villaa D'Este D in Romee. From 'Le foontane di Rom ma nelle piiazze e luoghi publici della citta' by Giov vanni Frrancesco Ventturini. Stock: 50290
55 52. Trieste e. La Riva C Carciotti. Gio. G Pividor. diis. Lit. B. Linaassi & Co. in Trieste. Prroprietà di Gu uis. A. Habnit,, Editore. [n.d., c.1840.] Fiine coloured lithograph. Shheet: 300 x 465 5mm (11¾ x 18 8¼''), with verry large margiins. Messy. £230
A view of thee port at Triesste, the harbou ur is full of ships and meen unload carggo and the streeet is full of people in inteernational cosstume. Stock: 49603
[Book klet of 25 viiew of Brusssels and environs.] 553.
Lith par Jobaard freres. [n.dd., c.1830.] 25 numberedd plates, stitchhed on left sidee, each sheet 220 x 300mm m (8¾ x 11¾""). First and laast plate badlyy worn, some sspotting and discolouration d on other platees. £4880 A collection of plates, not bound in platte number ordder.
55 58. National Polonoisee. T.W.P. Oginsky y. [n.d. c.18155.] heet music. 24 40 x 294mm ((9½ x 11¾"). £70 Sh Michał M Kleofass Ogiński (17665-1833), wass a Polish and laater Russian sttatesman, insuurrectionary an nd composer, beest known for his polonaisee “Pożegnanie Ojczyzny” (F Farewell to thee Fatherland). He was also ambassador an nd Paymaster General of thee Grand Duch hy of Liithuania. This section of maanuscript is no ot necessarily a part of the Pożegnanie Ojczzyzny, althoug gh he did omposer 24 po olonaises of pi pianoforte. Pub blished in co Ackermann's A Repository R of A Arts. Stock: 50570
Mr. P Pieter Johan n van Berck kel, MinisterrPlenipotenttiaris van deen Staet derr Vereenigdee Nederlandeen Bij de Staaten van No oorden OudAmerika, R Raed in de Vroedschap V Burgemeesster der Staaad Rotterdam. enz. enz.. enz. 554.
F.J. Pfeiffer, ad viv delin. L. Brasser. scculps. A. Blusssé & Fil. excud. [n.d., c.17855.] Sheet: 330 x 2440mm (13 x 9½''). 9 Trimmeed Engraving. S within plate. Bit dusty. £1440 han van Berckkel A portrait off Dutch politiccian Pieter Joh a Mayor of Rotterdam and (1725-1800) who served as he U.S.A.17833then as the fiirst Dutch ambbassador to th 8. Stock: 50587
555. Théa atre Royal de d Bruxelles.. [n.d., c.1840.] Sheet 220 x 275mm (8¾ x 10¾"). £660 Lithograph. S A view of thee front of the Théâtre Royaal de la Monnaie', ann opera house built in 1818 in Brussels. Stock: 49989
556. Théa atre Royal du d Parc. [n.d., c.1840.] Sheet 220 x 275mm (8¾ x 10¾"). £660 Lithograph. S A view of thee front of the Théatre Royaal du Parc, Brussels, buiilt in 1783 by the Bultos bro others, before the remodelliing work of 1844. The brotthers' intentionn was to createe a 'Vauxhall Gardens', G with h shops, cafes,, ballroom andd stage. Stock: 49987
A Vieew of the Coourt of the Prince P Statholder of Holland, and of the Assembly A off General, at the t Hague. Vüe de la the States G Cour du Prrince Stathoolder d'Holla ande, et de l'Assemblée des Etats generaux, g à la Haye. 557.
P. Vanryne ddelin. London Printed for Rob.t Sayer, M Map & Printsellerr, at No 53 Fleeet Street. Engraving w with fine hand colour, 18th century c watermark. 2255 x 395mm (10 x 15½"). Tear and som me creasing in m margins only. £3550 A view of thee Binnenhof, the political centre of the Hague. Stock: 49991
Fredericus II Rex B Borussorum m 1776. Ill fa ait vaincre à la fois et chhanter ses Victoirer. V 55 59.
a Londres chez Rob.t Sayer N No. 53 in fleet Street. [n.d., c.1780.] bit lateer. ngraving. Platte: 130 x 90m mm (5 x 3½''). Very small En margins. m Paperr loss in bottom m left corner margin. £65 A full-length po ortrait of Fredderick the Great of Prussia (1 1712-1786). Stock: 50579
56 60. [Scene in the Kitayy-gorod Mosscow.] [n n.d., c.1840.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea: 175 x 265mm (7 x 10 0½''), with verry large margiins. £120 A view in the Kitay-gorod, K oor Great Possaad, a cultural an nd historical centre in Mosccow. Stock: 50516
56 61. [A Russian Town.]] [n n.d., c.1840.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea: 175 x 265mm (7 x 10 0½''), with verry large margiins. £85
A view of a R Russian town with a couplee of figures onn the road in thhe foreground. Stock: 50517
View w of the Old Wooden Th heatre at Moscow. 562.
Publish'd 1 Jan.y 1813, at R. Ackermann n's Repositoryy of Arts, 101 Strand Londoon. P 250 x 30 00mm (9¾ x Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate: 11¾''). Paperr loss in top right corner maargin. Small margins on 3 sides. £1110 A view of thee Arbatsky Thheatre on Arbaat Square in Moscow, dessigned in 18088 by Carlo Ro ossi. When Napoleon's trroops approacched governorr Fyodor Rostopchin ddelayed the evvacuation of th he players unti til Moscow wass actually burnning. The theaatre burned down in 18133. Stock: 50514
563. Mon boudoir à Petersbourg P gh. [n.d., c.1830.] ¾''). £995 Artowork. Shheet: 95 x 1200mm (3¾ x 4¾ A watercolouur painting off a room in St Petersbough, P Russia showiing large harpp. Stock: 50575
Russian Femaless Entering a Sledge. No..2. Les Femmees Russes Prrêtes a Montter en Traineau. 564.
Drawn by M Mornay. Clark & Dubourg scculp. London, Published Appril 28, 1815 by b Edw.d Orm me Publisher tto his Majesty & H.R.H. the Prince Regen nt, Bond Streett, corner of Broook Street. Aquatint. Plaate: 300 x 4000mm (11¾ x 15¾''), large margins on 3 sides. Tears, stains and creeasing. £1440 Abbey Travel 226. Stock: 50537
A print a Russian couple on a sledge. From m 'A Picture off Saint Petersb burgh, represeented in a Colllection of Tw wenty interestting Views off the City, the Sledges, and th he People. Tak ken on the spoot at the twelve different months m of the year: y and accoompanied with h an Historical H and Descriptive D A Account' 1815. Abbey Trravel 226. Stock: 50538
56 66. The Sle edge of a Ruussian Citizeen. No.4. Le L Traineau d'un Marchhand ou Bou urgiois Russe. R Mornay M del. Clark & Dubourrg sculp. Lond don, Pu ublished April 28, 1815 by Edw.d Orme Publisher to hiis Majesty & H.R.H. H the Priince Regent, Bond B Street, co orner of Brook k Street. Aquatint, A waterrmark J. Whattman 1825. Pllate: 300 x 40 00mm (11¾ x 15¾''), large margins. Tears, stains and crreasing. £220 A print showing g a bourgeois family riding g in a sledge. Frrom 'A Picturee of Saint Peteersburgh, reprresented in a Collection of Twenty interessting Views off the City, the ot at the Slledges, and the People. Takken on the spo tw welve different months of thhe year: and accompanied with w an Historiccal and Descri riptive Accoun nt' 1815. Ab bbey Travel 226. Stock: 50536
56 67. The Winter Russiaan Travellin ng Carriage.. No.7. N Le Quiibitka d'Hivver ou Voitu ure de Voyage V Russe. Drawn D by Morn nay. Clark & D Dubourg sculp. London, Pu ublished April 28, 1815 by Edw.d Orme Publisher to hiis Majesty & H.R.H. H the Priince Regent, Bond B Street, co orner of Brook k Street. Aquatint. A Plate: 300 x 400mm m (11¾ x 15¾ ¾''), large margins. m Tears,, stains and crreasing. £160 A print showing g a family ridi ding in a carriaage. From 'A Piicture of Saintt Petersburgh,, represented in i a Collection of Twenty interessting Views off the City, the ot at the Slledges, and the People. Takken on the spo tw welve different months of thhe year: and accompanied with w an Historiccal and Descri riptive Accoun nt' 1815. Ab bbey Travel 226. Stock: 50535
56 68. [Russia an Woman.]] [n n.d., c.1840.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 305 x 2455mm (12 x 9¾ ¾''), with very laarge margins. £80 A portait of a Russian R woman an in a hat and d traditional co ostume, standiing in a gardenn.
The R Russian Sled dge or Publiic Carriage.. No.3. Le T Traineau Ru usse ou la Vo oiture Publique en n Course. 565.
Mornay del. Clark & Duboourg sculp. Lo ondon, b Edw.d Orm me Publisher tto Published Appril 28, 1815 by his Majesty & H.R.H. the Prince Regen nt, Bond Streett, corner of Broook Street. Aquatint, waatermark J. Whhatman 1825. Plate: 300 x 400mm (11¾ ¾ x 15¾''), largge margins on n 3 sides. Tearrs, stains and creeasing. £1660
56 69. Soltyko off. [facsimillie signaturee.] J.E E. Mayall pho oto. Joseph Brrown sc. [n.d.,, c.1860.] En ngraving, prin nted on chine ccollé. Plate: 230 2 x 150mm (9 9 x 6''), with very large marggins. £95 A portrait of Ru ussian travelleer Prince Alek ksei Saltykov (1 1806-1859) wh ho travelled thhrough Persia and India. Stock: 50580
570. [Solty ykoff.] [J.E. Mayall photo. Josephh Brown sc.] [n.d., c.1860.] Engraving, pproof before alll letters, printted on chine collé. Plate: 2230 x 150mm m (9 x 6''), with h very large margins. £880 A portrait off Russian traveeller Prince Alleksei Saltykoov (1806-1859) who travelledd through Perssia and India. Stock: 50581
[Fivee very rare views v of the upgrading oof the Old Ladoga Canal at Shlisselb burg] Vue perspectivee du nouveau Pont mobile de Schlüsselboourg. [& fou ur with Cyriillic title &] Vue des traavaux des Ecluses de Scchlusselbourrg. 571.
Lith. des voiees de communnication. dessiiné par [Karl Petrovich] Beggrov [& G. Beggrov et al]. [St Petersburg?, c.1828.] 6 (19¾ x 24¼"). Ink Lithographs. Sheet 500 x 615mm nieurs' lower stamp of 'Kooninklijk Instittuut van Ingen right. One plate with somee of the inscrip ption weakly inked. £29000 Five extremeely rare & inteeresting engineering imagess showing worrks performedd during the up pgrade of the Old Ladoga C Canal., includding cross secttion of a new bridge over tthe canal, and depictions off the construction of locks. C built 17 719-31 to allow w By 1826 the Old Ladoga Canal, L was shipping to bbypass the danngerous Lake Ladoga, too shallow aand had to be refurbished. These T lithographs aare from a seriies showing th he work arounnd Shlisselburg,, a town 22 miiles east of St Petersburg. The 'Koninkllijk Instituut van v Ingenieurss' (The Royal Netherlands Society of Enngineers) was founded in 1847 and is tthe main profeessional body for engineerss.
heero was one of the reasons PPaul was assaassinated by diisaffected arm my officers lesss than a year later. l Stock: 49628
57 74. [A View w of Vyazmaa.] [n n.d., c.1840.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Printed areea: 140 x 255mm (5½ x 10 0''), with very large marginss. £85 A view of the Russian R town oof Vyazma, with w two fig gures lying in n the foregrounnd. Stock: 50518
57 75. Seren.imi Maria D D'Austria Ph hilippi III. D.G. D Hisp. Reg. Inean.[inn reverse.] Le L Tres Illlustre Princcesse Marie de Austria fille f de... [in n reeverse.] Siimon Passe fecit Lon. [in reeverse.] [n.d., c.1620.] Paair of engravin ngs in ovals. E Each oval: 55 x 40mm (2¼ x 1½''). Trimmeed in ovals annd laid on albu um sheet. £140 Tw wo engravings showing twoo sides of a co oin of Anna off Austria (1601-1666), daugghter of Philip ppe III of Sp pain who married Louis XII III of Spain. All A text is en ngraved in rev verse. Stock: 50470
Vue d de St. Peterssbourg. Vue de la Bourse. 572.
Editeur H. Prrevost. [n.d., c.1840.] c Lithograph. S Sheet: 275 x 430mm 4 (11 x 17''). Creasingg and light foxxing. £1880 A view of thee stock exchannge in St Peteersburg. Titless in French andd Russian cyrillic. Stock: 50510
Field d Marshal Count C Aleaxa ander Suwarrow Rimniskoy Commandeer in Chief oof the Combin ned Armies in Italy. 573.
C. Hampe deel. N. Schiavoonetti Sculp. London L Publish'd Junne 21st 1799, by b Stipple. Platte: 110 x 160m mm (4¼ x 6¼""), with large margins. £1660 der Vasilievichh Half portrait set in a rounddel of Alexand d last) Suvoroff (c.11729-1800), thhe fourth (and Generalissim mo of Russia, famed f for nev ver losing a battle, fightinng 63. The portrait celebrates his successses in Italy (17999–1800), whenn his combineed AustroRussian armyy drove the Frrench out of most m of Italy. Promised a trriumph, his em mnity with thee Tsar Paul meant it was never held. When W Suvorofff died soon after his returrn Paul ensureed his Generalissimo's funeral honouurs were dow wngraded to thaat of a field marshal. Unddoubtedly thiss pettiness tow wards a nationaal
57 76. Veduta a della Cittàà e del Porto di Barcellona, B Capitale C dellla Catalogna a in Sp pagna. [E Engraved by Francesco F Sesoone.] [Naples, c.1740.] En ngraving. 165 x 330mm (6½ ½ x 13"). Bind ding folds an nd creases as normal. n £130 A prospect of Barcelona, B enggraved by Sesone, showing th he Lighthouse,, Santa Maria del Mar and the t castle of Montjuic. M Stock: 49986
57 77. Costum mes Espagnools. No 5. A. A Lacauchie. Paris, P Lith. dee Godard , Q. des d Augustins A 55. Paris, P Hautecooeur frères, r. Vivienne, 41 ett rue de Rivolii, 116. Tiinted lithograp ph with fine hhand colour an nd gum arabicc hiighlights. Prin nted area 295 x 200mm (11½ ½ x 8"), with laarge margins. Very V slight sppotting. £160 A bright, roman ntic image of a Andalucian couple in the co olourful clothiing familiar frrom the bullfig ght and flaamenco. Stock: 49999
Vistaa de la Ciudaad de Toled do tomada dee las Orillas del Tajo. Vue V de la Ville de Toledee prise des boords du tagee. View of th he City of Toledo taken from the Banks of th he Tagus. 578.
Vauxelle del. Fortier aquâ forti. Cazenaave sculp. [Parris: Pierre Didot,, 1806-20.] Engraving w with etching. Sheet 335x 465 5mm (13¼ x 18¼"). Trimm med within pllate on three sides. £1990 A plate from m 'Voyage pittooresque et histtorique de l'Espagne' byy Alexandre de Laborde (17 773-1842) Stock: 49793
579. Toled do. H. Swinburnne Delin.t. W. Ellis sculp.t. London, L Published Juuly 1, 1808 by John Scott, 44 42, Strand. Engraving. 3305 x 410mm (12 x 16"). Laarge margins oon £2330 3 sides. A view of Tooledo, publishhed in 'Travelss through Spaiin in the Years 1775 and 17776 in which several monuments oof Roman andd Moorish Arcchitecture are Illustrated byy Accurate Drrawings taken on the Spot' bby Henry Swinbburne (1743-1803), an account of his travels with S Sir Thomas Gascoigne, G wheen Spain was relatively unkknown land. First F published d in 1779 it w was the first antiqquarian book on o Spain to bee published inn England, desscribing early Roman and Moorish M architecture w with historical background.. This edition was probablyy the result off increased inteerest in Iberiaa caused by thee Peninsula War. W Stock: 49792
Neuee Strassen du urch Graüb bunden überr den Splügeenberg und den d St. Bern nhardin 18225. 580.
[1825.] Fine hand-cooloured, scarcee engraved maap. Plate: 380 x 210mm (15 x 8¼''). Cocklling and centraal crease. £1880 A map of a ppass through thhe Alps on thee border between Swiitzerland and Italy, I the map also shows ruins, churchhes and baths. Stock: 50476
581. No. 3 3. Sugar-loaf Hill, St Heelena. Drawn by Jam mes Wathen Esq.r. E Arrangeed by E.W. Engraved byy J. Clark. Lonndon, 1821, Pu ublished for thhe ob.t Jennings, Proprietor, byy T. Clay, Luddgate Hill, Ro Poultry, & Inn.o Major, Skiinner Street. Hand coloureed aquatint. 215 x 285mm (8½ ( x 11¼"), on paper waterm marked 'J Whaatman 1821'. Small S marginss. £1990 S of View ws Illustrative of From James Wathen's 'A Series the Island off St Helena'. This scene wass used on a St Helena stampp in 1976. During a tripp recorded as 'A A Journal of a Voyage to Madras and C China' (1814) Walthen spen nt three days oon St Helena, duuring which tiime he made thirteen t sketches. Tw wo were includded in his 'Jou urnal'; with Napoleon's eexile increasinng the interest in St Helena, eight of the rremainder werre published here, h with the addition of a plate of Longgwood House,, Napoleon's residence in exile, not buillt in Wathen's time. Abbey Travel 314. Stock: 49609
58 82. No. 4. Ladder L Hill,, St Helena. Drawn D by Jamees Wathen Esqq.r. Arranged by E.W. En ngraved by J. Clark. Londoon, 1821, Publlished for the Prroprietor, by T. T Clay, Ludgaate Hill, Rob.t Jennings, Po oultry, & In.o Major, Skinnner Street. Fiine hand colou ured aquatint. 285 x 215mm m (11¼ x 8½ ½"), on paper watermarkedd 'J Whatman 1821'. 1 Small margins. m £160 Laadder Hill, ov verlooking Jam mestown. From m 'A Series off Views V Illustratiive of the Islannd of St Helen na' by James Wathen W (1751?-1828). During D a trip reecorded as 'A JJournal of a Voyage V to Madras M and Ch hina' (1814) W Walthen spent three t days on Stt Helena, durin ng which timee he made thirrteen sk ketches. Two were w includedd in his 'Journaal'; with Napoleon's N exille increasing tthe interest in St Helena, eiight of the rem mainder were ppublished heree, with the ad ddition of a plate of Longwo wood House, Napoleon's N reesidence in exiile, not built inn Wathen's tim me. Abbey Trravel 314. Stock: 49610
58 83. No. 5. Fort F on Highh Knoll, St Helena. H Drawn D by Jamees Wathen Esqq.r. Arranged by E.W. En ngraved by J. Clark. Londoon, 1821, Publlished for the Prroprietor, by T. T Clay, Ludgaate Hill, Rob.t Jennings, Po oultry, & In.o Major, Skinnner Street. Fiine hand colou ured aquatint. 215 x 285mm m (8½ x 11 1¼"). Tear enttering plate buut not image at a top. Small margins. m £140 High H Knoll Forrt, also knownn as The Citad del, a circular to ower defending g Jamestown,, built by the British B in 17 799, enlarged 1874. From 'A A Series of Views Illlustrative of th he Island of SSt Helena' by James J Wathen W (1751?-1828). During D a trip reecorded as 'A JJournal of a Voyage V to Madras M and Ch hina' (1814) W Walthen spent three t days on Stt Helena, durin ng which timee he made thirrteen sk ketches. Two were w includedd in his 'Journaal'; with Napoleon's N exille increasing tthe interest in St Helena,
eight of the rremainder werre published here, h with the addition of a plate of Longgwood House,, Napoleon's residence in exile, not buillt in Wathen's time. Abbey Travel 314. Stock: 49611
584. No. 6 6. View from m High Knolll, St Helenaa. Drawn by Jam mes Wathen Esq.r. E Arrangeed by E.W. Engraved byy J. Clark. Lonndon, 1821, Pu ublished for thhe ob.t Jennings, Proprietor, byy T. Clay, Luddgate Hill, Ro Poultry, & Inn.o Major, Skiinner Street. Fine hand cooloured aquatinnt. 215 x 285m mm (8½ x 11¼"). Smalll margins. Biit messy on lefft margin. £1660 View from H High Knoll Fort, looking inlland. From 'A Series of Vieews Illustrativve of the Island d of St Helenaa' by James Waathen (1751?-1828). During a tripp recorded as 'A A Journal of a Voyage to Madras and C China' (1814) Walthen spen nt three days oon St Helena, duuring which tiime he made thirteen t sketches. Tw wo were includded in his 'Jou urnal'; with Napoleon's eexile increasinng the interest in St Helena, eight of the rremainder werre published here, h with the addition of a plate of Longgwood House,, Napoleon's residence in exile, not buillt in Wathen's time. Abbey Travel 314. Stock: 49612
58 86. No. 8. Plantation P H House, St Heelena. Drawn D by Jamees Wathen Esqq.r. Arranged by E.W. En ngraved by J. Clark. Londoon, 1821, Publlished for the Prroprietor, by T. T Clay, Ludgaate Hill, Rob.t Jennings, Po oultry, & In.o Major, Skinnner Street. Fiine hand colou ured aquatint. 215 x 285mm m (8½ x 11 1¼"), on papeer watermarkedd 'J Whatman n Turkey Mill 18 821'. Staining on left. Smalll margins. £90 Pllantation House, official ressidence of thee governor of Stt Helena and Napoleon N Bonnaparte's first home in exilee on n St Helena. From F 'A Seriess of Views Illu ustrative of th he Island of St Helena' by Jaames Wathen (1751?18 828). During D a trip reecorded as 'A JJournal of a Voyage V to Madras M and Ch hina' (1814) W Walthen spent three t days on Stt Helena, durin ng which timee he made thirrteen sk ketches. Two were w includedd in his 'Journaal'; with Napoleon's N exille increasing tthe interest in St Helena, eiight of the rem mainder were ppublished heree, with the ad ddition of a plate of Longwo wood House, Bonaparte's B ho ome in exile, which w had nott been built in n Wathen's tim me. Abbey Tra avel 314. Stock: 49614
58 87. 1.ere Vue V de L'Islee de S.te Hellene. [n n.d., c.1800.] En ngraving. Sheeet 165 x 245m mm (6½ x 9¾"). Trimmed an nd laid on albu um card. £120 A view of Jameestown from th the sea. Stock: 49621
Vue de James-Tow wn. Prise du Chemin qu ui conduit à Long-Woood. S.te Heleene Pl. 5. 58 88.
585. No. 7 7. Longwood d House, St Helena. H Drawn by Jam mes Wathen Esq.r. E Arrangeed by E.W. Engraved byy J. Clark. Lonndon, 1821, Pu ublished for thhe ob.t Jennings, Proprietor, byy T. Clay, Luddgate Hill, Ro Poultry, & Inn.o Major, Skiinner Street. Fine hand cooloured aquatinnt. 215 x 285m mm (8½ x 11¼"), on W Whatman paperr watermarked d '1821'. Smalll margins. £1990 Napoleon Boonaparte's hom me in exile on St Helena. From 'A Seriies of Views Illustrative I of the Island of S St Helena' by Jaames Wathen (1751?-1828)). During a tripp recorded as 'A A Journal of a Voyage to Madras and C China' (1814) Walthen spen nt three days oon St Helena, duuring which tiime he made thirteen t sketches. Tw wo were includded in his 'Jou urnal'; with Napoleon's eexile increasinng the interest in St Helena, eight of the rremainder werre published here, h with the addition of thhis plate of Loongwood Hou use, which hadd not been buillt in Wathen's time. Abbey Travel T 314. Stock: 49613
Dessiné D d'aprèss nature par H H.i Durand Braager. Liithographié paar Eugène Cicceri. Imp. Lith h. Formentin & C.ie. Paris, publié p par Gidde, Editeur, Ru ue des Petits Augustins, A No. 5. [n.d., 18444.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet 4500 x 630mm (17 7¾ x 24¾"), with w very large margins. £260 A view looking g down onto Jaamestown, wiith the 699step Jacob's Lad dder up the clliff on the left. The scene was w drawn by Jean-Baptiste J H d-Brager Henri Durand (1 1814-79), an artist a who accoompanied the French mission m to bring g their formerr emperor's rem mains back too Frrance for a staate funeral in 11840. From 'T Translation du Crecueil du l'Em mpereur Napooléon a bord de d la frégate vues pittoresqu ues de tous Laa Belle-Poule. Histoire et vu lees sites de l'ile se rattachant au mémorial de SaintHélène H a l'expédition de S.A A.R.Mgr. le Priince de Jo oinville' . Stock: 49617
58 89. Rade et Ville de Jaame's Town. S.te Helene H Pl. 11. Dessiné D d'aprèss nature par H H.i Durand Braager. Liithographié paar Delaplante.. Imp. Lith. Fo ormentin & C.ie. Paris, pub blié par Gide, E Editeur, Rue des d Petits Augustins, A No. 5. [n.d., 18444.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet 4000 x 540mm (15 5¾ x 21¼"), with w very large margins. £260 A view of Jameestown from th the sea, Jacob's Ladder to th he right.The sccene was draw wn by Jean-Baaptiste Henri Durand-Brager D (1814-79), ann artist who acccompanied
the French m mission to brinng their formerr emperor's remains backk to France forr a state funerral. From 'Translation ddu Crecueil duu l'Empereur Napoléon N a bord de la fréégate La Bellee-Poule. Histo oire et vues pittoresques de tous les sittes de l'ile se rattachant r au n de S.A.R.Mggr. mémorial de Saint-Hélènee a l'expédition le Prince de JJoinville' . Stock: 49618
Universal U Histo ory, from the E Earliest to thee Present Tiime". Abbey: Not in. Stock: 49289
59 93. March in the Deserrt. W. W Read Sculp.t. [n.d. c.18188.] Rare aquatint with w a pinkish wash. Sheet 220 2 x 270mm (8 8¾ x 10½"), watermarked w 11818. Binding folds as no ormal. £65 A caravan of caamels, includin ing a suckling calf, with a man m in Europeaan dress holdin ing a pen and with an arrtist's folio und der his arm. Stock: 50001
59 94. Vüe Su ud Ouest dess Forts Angllois et Hollandois H dee Sukkondi,, tirée de Sm mith. T. IV. N.o N XIII.
590. Tomb beau de Nap poléon. (Ile St. Helène.)) de Sainson ppinxt. E. Hosteein Lith. J. Tasstu, Editeur. mercier. [Pariss, 1833.] Lith. de Lem Lithograph. P Printed area 300 x 333mm (11¾ x 13"0 very large maargins. Publissher's blindstam mp under titlee. £2330 Napoleon's toomb on St. Heelena, which Dumont D d'Urville visiited on the retturn leg of his circumnavigaation. From 'Voyagge de la Corveette l'Astrolabee', the accountt of Jules Dum mont D'Urvillee's important expedition e to tthe South Seas bbetween 1826 and 1829. Stock: 49620
591. Long g-Wood. 18440. S.te Heleene Pl. 11. Dessiné d'aprrès nature parr H.i Durand Brager. B Lithographiéé par Delaplannte. Imp. Lith. Formentin & C.ie. Paris, ppublié par Gide, Editeur, Ru ue des Petits Augustins, N No. 5. [n.d., 18844.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet 450 x 630mm (17¾ ( x 24¾")), with very larrge margins. £3220 A view of Loongwood, Nappoleon Bonaparte's home inn exile on St H Helena 1815-21. The scene was w drawn byy Jean-Baptistee Henri Durannd-Brager (1814-79), an arttist who accompanied the Frennch mission to o bring their former empeeror's remains back to Francce for a state funeral. From m 'Translationn du Crecueil du d l'Empereurr Napoléon a bbord de la fréggate La Belle-Poule. Histoirre et vues pittorresques de touus les sites de l'ile se rattachant auu mémorial de Saint-Hélènee a l'expéditionn de S.A.R.Mggr. le Prince dee Joinville' . Stock: 49616
Interrior of the House H of the Cachef at Aboubakirr. 592.
W. Read Scuulp.t. [n.d. c.18811.] Aquatint, 1811 watermarkk. Sheet: 220 x 280mm (8¾ x 11''). Folds aas normal £885 Inside the hoouse of the Disstrict Adminisstrator in Egyppt; two British m men seated with two Egyptiians drinking tea. From "H History of the Arabs A - Modern Part of An
C Hedel del. sc. [n.d., c.17500.] ngraving. Platte: 205 x 295m mm (8 x 11½''), with large En margins. m Creasees as normal aand foxing. £60 A view of a Du utch and an Ennglish fort on the Gold Coast in Ghanaa. Stock: 49906
59 95. White Negroes. N Pu ublished by Tho.s Kelly Pat aternoster Row w. Hand-coloured H etching. Platee: 235 x 180m mm (9¼ x 7''). Paaper tone. £50 A portrait of a two t albinos inn furs holding weapons. Stock: 49948
59 96. Nativess of the Nortth side the River R Masumo, M in their t War D Dress. W.m W White dell.t. Storer Scullpt. [n.d., c.18 820.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 130m mm (8¼ x 5'')). Trimmed £80 A scene showin ng two men annd a woman in n a village in Ziimbabwe. Stock: 49591
59 97. Nativess of the Nortth side the River R Masumo, M in their t War D Dress. W.m W White dell.t. Scott Sculppt. [n.d., c.182 20.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 130m mm (8¼ x 5'')). Trimmed. £80 A portrait of tw wo men from Z Zimbabwe weearing their war w dress. In th he Masumo rivver behind aree large sailing bo oats. Stock: 49590
59 98. [Freeto own, Sierra L Leone.] Drawn D on Stone by A. Laby & J. Needham m after Sk ketches by Mrrs. Terry. Prinnted at Mclean n Liithographic Establishment, 50 St Martin's Lane. [n.d., c.1850.] ph with hand colour. Sheet 325 x Tiinted lithograp 75 55mm (12½ x 29¾"). A litttle damage to edges of margins m £380 A view looking g across the baay to Freetown n, with Eu uropean shipss anchored. Unnder the image named feeatures includee East Batteryy, Freetown Ch hurch and 'Q Queen Yard for Lib.d Af.ns''.
Mrs Terry was the wife off the Assistantt Superintendaant T 'Liberatedd of the Liberaated African's Department. The Africans' werre those rescuued by the Roy yal Navy from m slave ships ddestined for thee Americas. Over O 40,000 liberated Afrricans arrived in Freetown between b 1808 (when Britainn abolished thhe slave trade)) and about 1855. Not in Abbey. Stock: 49576
599. Capee of Good Hope. Owen del. W W. Ellis sculp. Publish'd June 1st. 1801, byy Bunney & G Gold. Aquatint. Sheet: 145 x 2455mm (5¾ x 9¾ ¾''). Trimmedd. £770 A view of thee Cape of Goood Hope with Table Top Mountain in the distance. Stock: 49937
Harcourt H follow wing the Battlee of White Plaains. An illlustration from m Bernard's 'H History of Eng gland' 178183 3 published by y Alexander H Hogg. Stock: 49596
A Man & Woman of the Chipeways to th he eastward of the Missiissippi in No orth America. A A Man M & Wom man of the Nawdowessie N es to the wesstward of the Mississippi M in n North Am merica. 60 03.
Grignion G sculp.. [n.d., c.17900.] En ngraving. Sheeet: 290 x 175m mm (11½ x 7''). Trimmed. £190 Tw wo scenes witth Native Ameericans from 'Bankes New Sy ystem of Geog graphy'. Stock: 49599
600. Cascade on Sneu uwberg. No.25. [Drawn & Enngraved by Saamuel Daniell.] London, Published 18831 by R. Havvell, 77 Oxford d Street. Fine aquatintt with hand coolour, J. Whatman watermark. 3380 x 505mm (15 x 20"), with w very largee margins. £5220 i the water, A large wateerfall, with craanes standing in and a lion annd lioness apprroaching to drrink. From Robertt Havell's reisssue of 'African n Scenery andd Animals' (18804-5) by Sam muel Daniell (1 1775-1811). A topographicaal draughtsmann and painter of animals, Samuel was tthe nephew off Thomas Dan niell and younger brotther of William m Daniell. Hee joined Generral Dundas's exppedition in Souuth Africa in 1801, executinng drawings theere of landscappe, people and d animals. Seee Abbey Travel 321 for the first f edition. Stock: 49615
The M Manner in which w the American Colonies Declared them mselves Independent off the King off England, throughout the t differentt Provinces, on July 4. 1776. Engra aved for New Compllete & Autheentic Historry Barnard's N of England d. 601.
Hamilton dellin. Noble scuulp. [1783.] Engraving. S Sheet: 365 x 215mm (14½ x 8½''). Trimmed. £2660 wing a man onn horseback declaring that A scene show America wass now indepenndent of Greatt Britain to a crowd gatherred in the streeet. An illustraation from Bernard's 'Hiistory of England' 1781-83 published by Alexander H Hogg. Stock: 49580
The A American General G Lee taken Prisoner byy Lieutenan nt Colonel Harcourt H of the English h Army, in Morris M Coun ntry New Jersey, 17776. Engraveed for Barna ard's New Complete & Authenticc History of England. 602.
Hamilton dellin. Hawkins sculp. s [1783.] Engraving. S Sheet: 365 x 215mm (14½ x 8½''). Trimmed, titlle excised. £770 A scene from m the Americaan Revolutionaary Wars showing Genneral Charles Lee L (1732-1782), general inn the Continenntal Army beinng arrested by y William
Mah-To-Toh-Pa. T The Manda an Chief. (F From Catlin n's N.A. Indiian Collectio on). 60 04.
Catlin del. Mc.G Gahey, lith. D Day & Haghe Lith.rs L to the Queen. Q Sccarce tinted litthograph. Sheeet: 515 x 385mm (21¼ x 15 5''). Staining at a bottom and 2 very small tears t top. £480 A portrait of the Mandan chiief Mah-To-To oh-Pa after a study made by George Catlinn (1796-1872)) who made th hree trips to stu udy the Nativee American peoples beetween 1832-1 1836. Stock: 50647
60 05. Sherbr rooke, Easteern Townshiips, Lower Canada. C Prin ncipal Statioon of the Brritish American A La and Companny. Day D & Haghe Lith.rs L to the K King. Rare lithograph h. Sheet: 195 x 220mm (7¾ ¾ x 8¾''). Trrimmed. £130 A view of Sherbrooke in Easstern Canada. Stock: 50023
nd member off the militia whho served as Canadian C an Su urveyor-General of British N North Americca. Abbey 62 22: Plate 7.
Day & Haghhe Lith.rs to thhe King. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 1995 x 220mm (7 7¾ x 8¾''). Trimmed. £1880 b the side of a waterfall inn A view of a llarge factory by Canada.
Woolllen Factoryy, Sherbrook ke, in the Eastern Toownships, Loower Canad da. Belongin ng to the Britiish Americaan Land Com mpany.
View w in the Easttern Townsh hips,_Lowerr Canada on n the River St. S Francis. 607.
Day & Haghhe Lith.rs to thhe King. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 1995 x 220mm (7 7¾ x 8¾''). Trimmed. £1880 A view of a llake and farming settlementts in Canada. Stock: 50021
Kilboorn's Mills, Stanstead, L.r L Canada & the United States Settlements, Verrin! South oof the Provincce Line_Latte 45N. 608.
On Stone by C. Haghe. Skketched by Col.n Bouchette . W. Day Lith.rs to the Kingg 17, Gate St. Lin. Inn F.ds.. 6½ x 9½''). Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 1665 x 240mm (6 Trimmed £1440 C after a drawing by A view of a ssettlement in Canada Joseph Bouchette (1774-1841) who wass a landownerr a Canadian and member of the militia who served as Surveyor-Geeneral of Britissh North Ameerica. Abbey 622: Plate 133.
61 12. Spence er Wood Neaar Quebec. [n n.d., c.1865.] Liithograph. Sheeet: 260 x 2855mm (10¼ x 11¼''). 1 Trrimmed and laaid on album ssheet with deccorative bo order. £180 A view of a larg ge mansion neear Quebec, a house has stood on the site since 1780, though severaal different ho ouses have been built since.. The current house is now th he Governmen nt House of Quuebec. Stock: 50110
61 13. Thoma as Paine. Romney pinx. Sharp S sc. Publlished & Sold d by E. Trruelove, 240, Strand, three doors from Temple Bar. En ngraving. Platte: 300 x 230m mm (11¾ x 9''). Trimmed within w plate on lower edge. M £250 Messy in edges. A portrait of Th homas Paine ((1737-1809) who w was an American A politiical activist annd Founding Father F of the USA, U at the start of the Amerrican Revoluttion he pu ublished two pamphlets p whhich inspired th he patriots to deeclare indepen ndence. Stock: 50031
Villaage of St. Hyyacinthe. Co o. of St. Hyacinthe. 609.
R.S.M Bouchhette Delt. Daay & Haghe, Lith.rs L to the King 17 Gatee St. Lin. Inn F.ds. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 155 x 210mm (6 6 x 8¼''). Trimmed, £1440 A view of thee town of Sainnt-Hyacinthe in southwesteern Canada afterr a drawing byy Joseph Boucchette (1774was a landownner and membeer of the militiia 1841) who w who served aas Canadian Surveyor-Geneeral of British North Ameriica. Abbey 6222: Plate 10. Stock: 50018
A Vieew of the En ntrance of S.t S John's Newfoundlland. 610.
The Rev.d J. Hall del. J. Wells W sculp. Pu ublish'd by Gold, 1 July 18802. Bunney & G Aquatint. Sheet: 140 x 2500mm (5½ x 10 0''). Trimmed.. £1330 t harbour to o St John's, A view of thee entrance to the capital of Neewfoundland. Stock: 50028
611. City of Quebec, Taken T from m the Harbour. R.S.M Bouchhette Delt. Daay & Haghe, Lith.rs L to the King 17 Gatee St. Lin. Inn F.ds. Rare lithograaph. Sheet: 155 x 210mm (6 6 x 8¼''). Trimmed, veertical crease. £770 A view of Quuebec from thhe harbour, aftter a drawing bby Joseph Bouchette (1774-1841) who wass a landownerr
61 14. Samuell Scott, the u unfortunatee American Diver. D [n n.d., c.1841.] Rare lithograph h. Sheet 260 x 200mm (10¼ ¼ x 8"). Some slight surface so oiling. £140 A portrait of Saamuel Gilbert "Sam" Scott (c. ( 1813-41), an n American daaredevil printeed shortly afteer his deadly faall from Waterrloo Bridge. Born in Philadeelphia, Scott sserved in the U.S. U Navy where w he becam me well knownn for jumping g off the masts m of ships. This led to a ccareer as a stu untman and daaredevil, traveelling the U.S.. and Canada performing p hiis death-defyin ng leaps, incluuding a purported 593-foot ju ump from Niag gara Falls. Onn January 11, 1841, Scott pllanned to run from the Whitte Lion Pub in n Drury Lane to o Waterloo Briidge, jump froom a scaffold on the bridge in nto the river, and a return to thhe pub during g the hour
between 1:000 and 2:00 P.M M. As per prev vious bridge jumps, a ropee attached to the t scaffold alllowed Scott tto swing away ffrom the bridgge before diving. But on thiis jump, the roppe wrapped arround Scott's neck. n The spectators errroneously thoought that this was part of Scott's act, noo immediate action a was tak ken and Scott inadvertentlyy hung himself. OCLC cites bbut one extantt example in North N Americana collections. A recorded exam mple at the Wellcome Liibrary includees a Day & Son stamp on verso of a moount. Stock: 49510
A maritime scene showing thhe wreck of th he slave ship 'N Nancy' on the Bahama B Bankk. As most of the t slave were w shackled most m would haave drowned. However, slaves sometim mes survived annd would inteegrate with he islanders. An A illustration in Olaudah Equiano's E 'The th In nteresting Narrrative of the L Life of Olaudaah Equiano, orr Gustavas Vaassa the Africaan, written by himself' pu ublished in 17 789. Stock: 50638
61 17. Barbad dos [in ink]. [n n.d., c1840's] Watercolour W sk ketch. Sheet 1335 x 185mm (5½ ( x 7¼"), on n album paperr. £320 A street scene. Stock: 49551
61 18. Wateriing Tank at Tobacco Ba ay, Bermuda. B Wells, W sc. Publiished 28, Feb..y 1809 by J. Gold, Shoe Laane. Aquatint A with later colour. Shheet 140 x 230mm (5½ x £140 9""). Repaired damage d at botttom. British navy ships off the coaast of Bermud da. p by Frrom the 'Navaal Chronicle', ffounded and published Jo oyce Gold. Stock: 49544
View w of Durham m Abbey, and d adjoining Scenery, taaken from th he Banks. 615.
G.B. Fisher E Esq.r del.r. J.W W. Edy fecit. Pub'd Jan.y 11, 1798, by J.W W. Edy, No.2, Romney R Row w, Westminsterr. Scarce aquattint, printed inn colours and hand h finished.. m (21¼ x 28¼""). Mount Visible area 540 x 720mm pasted over eedges, laid on board, some toning. t £4550 A large aquaatint view show wing Durham Abbey risingg above the treees on the bankks of the Riveer Wear. The rare view w was aquatinnted by John William W Edy after George Bulteel Fisheer (1764-1834) who, havingg studied under Paul Sandbyy at the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich, coontinued to paaint during hiss h served as aiide military career. As a youngg lieutenant he ward Augustuus (father of Queen Q Victoriaa), to Prince Edw visiting Canaada with him and a publishing g a rare seriess 'Six Views inn North Amerrica' (also engrraved by Edy)) in 1795-6. Thhe following year y Fisher an nd Edy published sixx views of Gibbraltar. The Brritish Museum m have both theese sets but we w have been unable u to tracee another exam mple of this prrint of Durham m. Stock: 49814
Bahaama Banks, 1767. Thuss God speaketh on nce, yea, twiice, yet Man n perceiveth h it not. In a Drream, in a Vision V of thee Night, wheen deep sleep falleth upon n Men, in slu umbrings upon the B Bed; Them he h openeht th he Ears of Men, & seaaleth their in nstruction.- Job Ch. 33.. Ver 14. 15. 16. & 29. & 30. 616.
Atkins del. B Barnes & Co. Sc. S [n.d., c.1789.] A rare engravving. Plate: 1335 x 185mm (5¼ ( x 7¼''). Vertical creaases, folds as normal. n Tear at top left foldd. £2660
61 19. View of Prince Rup pert's Bay, Dominica. N.Pocock N del.t. Wells sculp.tt. Publish'd by y Bunney & Gold G May 1. 17 799. Aquatint. A Sheett: 145 x 245m mm (5¾ x 9¾'')). Trimmed. £90 A view of a bay y in Dominicaa in the West Indies. I Stock: 49938
62 20. Port Stt. George in the Island of o Grenada. [L Liverpool: Nutttall, Fisher & Dixon, 1808-11.] Coloured engraaving. 190 x 3 35mm (7½ x 13¼"). Original O bindin ng folds, edgess soiled, colou ur seepage. £260 A distant view of the port. Frrom Thomas Coke's C 'A hiistory of the West W Indies, coontaining the natural, n civil, an nd ecclesiasticcal history of eeach island; with w an acccount of the missions m instittuted in those islands, from m th he commencem ment of their ccivilization, bu ut more esspecially of th he missions whhich have been n established in n that archipelaago by the socciety late in co onnexion with w the Rev. Jo ohn Wesley. ' Stock: 49555
62 21. Port Stt. George in the Island of o Grenada. [L Liverpool: Nutttall, Fisher & Dixon, 1808-11.] En ngraving. 190 0 x 335mm (7½ ½ x 13¼"). Orriginal biinding folds. £260 A distant view of the port. Frrom Thomas Coke's C 'A hiistory of the West W Indies, coontaining the natural, n civil, an nd ecclesiasticcal history of eeach island; with w an acccount of the missions m instittuted in those islands, from m th he commencem ment of their ccivilization, bu ut more esspecially of th he missions whhich have been n established in n that archipelaago by the socciety late in co onnexion with w the Rev. Jo ohn Wesley. ' Stock: 49552
Cham mps de Marrs - Haiti - Ja an.ry 1900. [pencil on rreverse] 622.
Watercolour.. Sheet 290 x 225mm (11½ x 9). £1990 A view lookiing past roofs to a track, on n the outskirts of Port-au-Princce. Stock: 49546
''Prin ns Willem V'' V Jacmel Hayti. H [&] ''Scotia.'' S St Mark's, Hayti. H [and two untitled beach scenees.] verso 623.
A.L. March 11903 [-5] Four watercoolours, each shheet c. 140 x 230mm 2 (5½ x 9"), mountedd on one card. £3000 Two cargo stteam ships andd two beach views v in Haiti.. Stock: 49550
The G Guane Jamaaica March 1900. [penccil on backboaard] 624.
Watercolour.. Sheet 290 x 225mm (11½ x 9), mountedd on card. £1330 A steel-girdeered bridge ovver a river in a forest.
A 972-foot rock ky outcrop onn the west coasst of St Kitts, with w the fortress used by the British from 1690-1853. It is now a UNES SCO World Heeritage Site, im mportant as ne of the best preserved histtorical fortificcations in the on Americas. A Frrom John Herb bert Caddy's ''Scenery of the Windward an nd Leeward Isslands', planneed as a four-vo olume work, bu ut only the firsst was publishhed. Caddy (1801-83) was po osted to the West W Indies twiice, to Tobago o in 1828 and to o St Lucia in 1833, transferrring to St Vinccent in 1834, th he year that slaavery was aboolished in the British B co olonies. Abbeyy, Travel 692. Stock: 49556
62 29. [Steam m ships at ancchor in a ru ural bay.] [n n.d., c 1900.] Watercolour. W Sheet S 140 x 2330mm (5½ x 9"), 9 laid on caard. £160 View V of Jamaicca from an albbum of views of the West In ndies. Stock: 49548
The G Guane. Near Gandan Town T Jamaicca [pencil on b backboard] 625.
[n.d., c.1900.] Watercolour.. Sheet 290 x 225mm (11½ x 9), mountedd on card. £1330 A stream in a valley. Stock: 49549
View w of the Tow wn and Harb bour of Bass e Terre in th he Island of St S Christoph her. 626.
[Liverpool: N Nuttall, Fisherr & Dixon, 1808-11.] Engraving. 5565 x 200mm (22¼ x 8"). Trimmed T to image on left ft, original bindding folds. £2660 A distant vieew of the port. From Thomaas Coke's 'A he natural, civvil, history of thee West Indies,, containing th and ecclesiasstical history of o each island; with an account of thhe missions instituted in tho ose islands, froom the commenccement of theiir civilization,, but more especially off the missions which have been b establisheed n connexion in that archippelago by the society late in with the Revv. John Wesleyy. '
63 30. [Virgin n Islands.] H Harbour of St S Thomas. Po ocock del. Baiily sc. Londonn, Publish'd 20 0 Sept.r 1811 by y J. Gold,. 103 3 Shoe Lane. Aquatint A with later hand coloour. Sheet 140 0 x 235mm (5 5½ x 9¾"). Sliight staining inn borders. £95 Th he British invaded the Daniish West Indiees in December D 1807 7, meeting no resistance, returning the islands after thee defeat of Naapoleon in 181 15. Published n the 'Naval Ch hronicle'. in
63 31. A Man of Sandwicch Islands. En ngraved for th he Ladies Maggazine. Published May 31 1st, 1785 by G. G Robinson. £45 En ngraving, 170 0 x 110mm (6¾ ¾ x 4¼"). An A indigenous inhabitant of H Hawaii, adaptted from the Official O Accoun nt of Cook's T Third Voyage (which deescribed the fiirst European visit to island d) for the ''L Ladies' Magazzine''.
627. St. K Kitts. Pocock del. M Medland sculpp. Publish'd 30 0 April, 1805 by J. Gold, 103 Shoe Lanee, Fleet Street.. 1 x 235mm Aquatint withh later hand colour. Sheet 140 (5½ x 9¾"). £995 b betweenn Apparently thhe Battle of St Kitts, a sea battle Britain and F France in 17822, during the American A Revolutionarry War. Publiished in the 'N Naval Chronicle'. Stock: 49543
628. Brim mstone Hill, St. S Kitts. Drawn by Liieut. Caddy, Roy.l R Artill.y. Engraved by W. Westall, A A.R.A. Londoon. Published Feb.y 1st 18337, by Ackermannn & Co., 96 Strand. S Aquatint withh fine hand coolour. Sheet 215 x 280mm (8½ x 11") T Tears, paper tooned, cellotapee across corneers.
Tamehamalu, Queeen of the Sa andwich Isslands. 63 32.
R. Cooper sc. En ngraving. Sheeet: 210 x 125m mm (8¼ x 5'')). £75 A portrait of Kaamamalu, queeen consort off Hawaii who arrrived in Lond don in May 18824 for a state visit to George G IV. Stock: 50027
The H Head of a New N Zealand d Chief whoo was Kill'd iin Battle by a Spear pieercing through the Skull_Thee face Curiously Tattood d & in a statee of perfect preservatio the featuress being Retaiind with thee Hair, Teeth h, Beard &cc a process u unknown to Europeans. 633.
A view of the ancient a theatree in Kabul, Affghanistan reemains of the Ancient A Greekks who inhabiited the area du uring the expeedition of Alexxander the Grreat. Stock: 50515
[n.d., c.1800.] A rare etchinng. Sheet: 115 x 75mm (4½ x 3''). Trimmed, eddged in a decorative border, laid on album m sheet. £3990 A ticket to viiew the Head. A print of a preserved, tattooed headd of a maori frrom New Zealand. Known as mokomokai, the heads of tattooed t men would w be preserved annd used in cereemonies, defeaated warriors might also haave their headds preserved ass war trophiess. Stock: 50272
634. Habiitans des Islees des Larro ons. [after Alain M Manesson Maallet.] [Paris: Denys D Thierryy, 1683.] Sheet 150 x 1005mm (6 x 4¼ ¼"). Trimmed to Engraving. S image. £660 Natives of thhe Mariana Islands. From Mallet's M classicc five-volume work 'Descripption de l'Univ vers'. Stock: 49554
635. [HMS Challengeer.] O.W. Brierlyy [in image]. [n.d., c.1876.] Zincograph, printed in colours. Sheet 38 80 x 670mm ((15 mmed to imagge and laid on n board, as x 26½"). Trim issued. £4550 HMS Challennger, a steam--assisted Royaal Navy Pearl-class corvettee, in the waterrs of the Antarrctic. The scene is from m the Challengger Expedition n of 1873-6, thhe first global m marine research expedition, organised by the Royal Soociety and the University off Edinburgh. During a voyyage of 68,0000 nautical milees the expedition m made 492 deepp sea sounding gs discovered about 4,700 nnew species of o marine life. The 'Report oon the scientificc results of thee voyage of HM MS Challengeer' filled fifty voolumes and took fifteen yeaars to publish (1880-95). marine painterr Sir Oswald Walters W Brierlyy By English m (1817-94). Stock: 50435
636. Entra ance Into Kojak K Pass frrom Parush . [James Atkinnson.] [n.d., c..1842.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 330 3 x 515mm (13 x 20¼''). £2660 mountain passs through which a crowd off A view of a m men and solddiers walk atteented by tribessmen. Plate 9 from 'Sketchhes in Afghaniistan' by James Atkinson, onne of the earliesst studies of Afghanistan. A Stock: 50134
Oberrster Theil einer e Tempeelruine in Kabulistan n. 637.
gez. v. Goldhhann nach Elpphinstone. J.s Jung. J Sc. [n.dd., c.1820.] Sheet: 115 x 190mm (4½ x 7½''). Foxing.. Engraving. S £665
63 38. Scene upon u the Eaastern Road from Rangoon R look king towardds the South. 13. Drawn D by J. Mo oore. Engraveed by G. Huntt. Published Nov.r N 9, 1825, by b Kingsburyy & Co. Leadeenhall Sttreet__& Tho..s Clay, Ludgaate Hill, Lond don. Fiine coloured aquatint. a Plateemark: 420 x 325mm. 3 (16½ ½ x 12¾"). Tears and creases inn margins. £380 A view from a terrace, with a roof and pag goda on the leeft, overlookin ng a road in thhe right middlee distance lin ned with furth her pagodas; a river in the background b beelow the horizzon, upon whiich can be seen n ships. Frrom "Rangoon n Views, and C Combined Op perations in th he Birman Em mpire", which cconsists of 24 plates over tw wo series, publlished by Thoomas Clay in 1825-26. 1 The pllates are madee by several arrtists, after Lieeutenant Jo oseph Moore and a Captain FFrederick Marrryat. Abbey Trravel 404; Hicckman p.230, illus. p. 238. Stock: 50390
Amoy, One of the F Five Ports opened o by th he late Treatty to Britishh Commercee. 63 39.
Drawn D by B.Clayton, from a painting by Piqua. P On Sttone by J.W. Giles. G [1847.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 1455 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £180 A view of the port p of Amoy, or Xiamen, one o of the fivee po orts opened to o British Tradeers following the Treaty of Nanking N which h ended the Firrst Opium Waar. An illlustration from m 'The Historyy of China and d India Piictorial and Descriptive...' bby Julia Corneer 1847. Ab bbey 468. Stock: 50120
64 40. [Beijing g] Supreme Imperial Hall H of Audience A from Nieuhof. G. G Child Sculp..t. [London, nn.d., c.1750.] En ngraving. 190 0 x 300mm (7½ ½ x 11¾"), with large margins. m Rust spot s in inscripption. £120 A scene showin ng the arrival oof the VOC ambassasdors to o Fulin, the Sh hunzhi Emperoor (1638-61) in i 1658. The am mbassadors stand in the foreeground with an am mbassador fro om the Mogol Emperor, the emperor's gu uards lining th he wall and a ddisplay of tweelve snowwhite w horses on n their route too the emperor's presence.
The original view appeared in the accou unt of the ( by Jo ohan Nieuhoff ff. VOC's embaassy to China (1655-7) From an edittion of Astley''s 'A New Gen neral Collectioon of Voyages aand Travels'. Stock: 49636
64 45. Vaissea aux Chinois . [n n.d., c.1750.] En ngraving. Platte: 245 x 390m mm (9¾ x 15¼ ¼''). Creasing ass normal, trimmed to plate oon two edges and some marking. m £80 A view of threee chinese shipss from a French edition of George G Anson'ss account of hhis travels 'A voyage v round th he world...'. Ad dmiral of the FFleet George Anson, 1st Baron Anson (1 1697 -1762) w was a British admiral a and a wealthy w aristocrat, noted for his circumnav vigation of th he globe and his h role overseeeing the Royaal Navy du uring the Seveen Years' Warr. Stock: 49911
Burn ning of the Chinese C Books, by Ordeer of the Emp peror Who Built B the Greeat Wall. 641.
Drawn by Cllayton, from a painting by Fo F Shang. On Stone by J.W W. Giles. [18477.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £550 wing an official burning a stack of bookss A scene show and scrolls. A An illustrationn from 'The Hiistory of Chinna and India Picctorial and Deescriptive...' by y Julia Cornerr 1847. Abbey 468. Stock: 50118
642. [Arc Triomphal à Canton.] [Published byy Probst in Auugsburg?, c17 760] Engraving w with hand colouur, trimmed to o border paintted black as a vuuë d'optique. Sheet S 280 x 42 25mm (11 x 16¾"). Title excised, wearr to edges. £2660 p as a A triumphal arch in a streeet in Canton, prepared grascope, a vuë d'optiquee, for viewingg through a zog device of mirrrors and lenses that gave a 3-D effect. Kapff: K309.. Stock: 49763
Chin na Taf. I. Ab bendescene bei eonem Dorfe und W Wachposten n. 643.
[Leipzig, verrlag von Dürfffling und Fran nte, n.d., c.1850.] with hand colouur. 270 x 315m mm (10½ x Engraving w 12½"). £1440 A collection of vignette sccenes of Chineese life arrangged around a cenntral view of a gateway, inclludes a draughhts scene. m Emil Wendt'ss 'Bilderatlas der A plate from Länderkundee...' Stock: 49758
644. [Chin nese Figuress.] [n.d., c.1860.] 25mm (7 x 5'')). Rare chromoolithograph. Shheet: 175 x 12 Laid on card as issued. £1330 A portrait off a Chinese figgure in a landsscape with monks in the background. b figures and m Stock: 49908
64 46. Pastebo oard Horse.. Toyman. A. A Freschi sculp psit. [Londonn: John Stockd dale, 1813.] Sttipple and linee engraving, w with original hand h colour. Sh heet 175 x 100 0mm (7 x 4").. Trimmed, laid on album paaper, old ink mss. m plate num mber at top. £60 A Chinese toy seller s with a bbasket of toys,, and a man asstride a hobby yhorse. Frrom Jean Baptiste Joseph B Breton De La Martinière's M fo our-volume ''C China: Its Costtume, Arts, Manufactures, M &c. & Edited Prin ncipally from tthe Originals in the Cabinet of the late l M. Bertinn: With Observ vations xplanatory, Historical, and Literary''. Abb bey Travel Ex 53 36. Stock: 49783
64 47. Pedlar.. Tobacconisst. A. A Freschi sculp psit. [Londonn: John Stockd dale, 1813.] Sttipple and linee engraving, w with original hand h colour. Sh heet 100 x 175 5mm (4 x 7").. Trimmed, laid on album paaper. £60 A Chinese toy seller s with a bbasket of toys,, and a man asstride a hobby yhorse. Frrom Jean Baptiste Joseph B Breton De La Martinière's M fo our-volume ''C China: Its Costtume, Arts, Manufactures, M &c. & Edited Prin ncipally from tthe Originals in the Cabinet of the late l M. Bertinn: With Observ vations xplanatory, Historical, and Literary''. Abb bey Travel Ex 53 36. Stock: 49784
64 48. [Toy Man M Schuttleecock Playin ng.] A. A Freschi sculp psit. [Londonn: John Stockd dale, 1813.] Sttipple and linee engraving, w with original hand h colour. Sh heet 175 x 100 0mm (7 x 4").. Trimmed, laid on album paaper, old ink mss. m plate num mber at top. £60 A Chinese toy seller, s with tw wo boys kickin ng a sh huttlecock. Frrom Jean Baptiste Joseph B Breton De La Martinière's M fo our-volume ''C China: Its Costtume, Arts, Manufactures, M &c. & Edited Prin ncipally from tthe Originals in the Cabinet of the late l M. Bertinn: With Observ vations xplanatory, Historical, and Literary''. Abb bey Travel Ex 53 36. Stock: 49782
Apprroach of the Emperor of China, to Receive thee British Am mbassador. 649.
Drawn by B B.Clayton, from m a Painting by b W. Alexander Essq. On Stone by b J.W. Giles. [1847.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £1220 wing the Emperor of China being broughht A scene show before a grouup of Europeaans. An illustraation from 'Thhe History of Chhina and Indiaa Pictorial and d Descriptive. ..' by Julia Cornner 1847. Abbbey 468. Stock: 50121
The E Empress and Her Atten ndants Proceedingg to the Tem mple from the Mulberry Grove. 650.
A view of Hong g Kong shortly ly after the British leased th he island in 1842. From Juliia Corner's 'Th he History of In ndia & China'. Stock: 49631
65 55. The Ba ay and Islandd of Hong-K Kong. Drawn D by B. Clayton from a Painting by Piqua. P On Sttone by Gilks.. London, Deaan & Co. Threeadneedle Sttreet. [n.d., 18 847.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet 165 x 230mm (6½ ½ x 9"). £220 A view of Hong g Kong shortly ly after the British leased th he island in 1842. From Juliia Corner's 'Th he History of In ndia & China'. Stock: 49632
Drawn by Cllayton, from an a original painting by Fo Shang. On Sttone by J.W. Giles. G [1847.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £660 Chinese Emprress followed by her A view of a C handmaids inn a garden. Ann illustration from f 'The History of Chhina and Indiaa Pictorial and d Descriptive. ..' by Julia Cornner 1847. Abbbey 468. Stock: 50117
Foo C Choo Foo- One O of the Five F Ports opened by the Late Treaty to Britiish Commercee. 651.
Drawn by B. Clayton, from m an original painting p by Piqua. On Sttone by Dean & Co. [1847.]] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''), with large maargins. Tear inn top margins. £1330 A view of thee port of Fuzhhou, one of thee five ports opened to Brritish Traders following the Treaty of Nanking whiich ended the First Opium War. W An illustration frrom 'The History of China and a India Pictorial andd Descriptive...' by Julia Corrner 1847. Abbey 468. Stock: 50116
[Chin nese Figuress by the Greeat Wall of China.] 652.
[n.d., c.1860.] 25mm (7 x 5'')). Rare chromoolithograph. Shheet: 175 x 12 Laid on card as issued. £1660 A view near the Great Waall of China wiith figures, onne on horsebackk, in the foregrround. Stock: 49909
653. Chin na. Hongkon ng. Macâo. [n.d., c.1880.] Wood engravving. Sheet 2445 x 165mm (9¾ x 6½"). £665 Vignette view ws of the harbbours of Hong g Kong and Macao Stock: 49627
View w of Victoriaa Town _ Isla and of HonggKong. 654.
Drawn by B. Clayton from m a Painting by y Piqua. On Stone by Deaan & Co. London, Dean & Co. Threadneedlee Street. [n.d.,, 1847.] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet 165 x 230mm (6½ ( x 9"). £2220
65 56. Hong-K Kong. C. Graham del. A.H. Payne ssc. London Prrinting and ublishing Com mpany. [n.d., cc.1860.] Pu Stteel engraving g, sheet 200 x 260mm (7¾ x 9½"). £85 A view view off Hong Kong ffrom the harbour. Stock: 49633
65 57. Fort Viictoria, Kow w Loon. Drawn D by T. Allom. From a sketch on the spot by Liieut. White, Royal R Mariness. Engraved by y M.J. Sttarling. Fisherr, Son & Co. L London & Parris. [n.d. c.1858.] 6½ x 8"). Coloured steel engraving. 1770 x 200mm (6 Mount M burn aro ound image. £75 Sh hows a wharf with sampanss and men in foreground, f fo ort on the rightt, mountain onn left. One O of a selectiion images froom a series off 143 en ngravings by the t British Arcchitect and Illlustrator Th homas Allom for "China Illlustrated" whiich was prrinted in four volumes v in Loondon betweeen 1843 and 18 847. Stock: 49623
65 58. Suprem me Imperiall Hall of Aud dience from Nieuhof. N Plate 28 No.12 page 8. G. G Child Sculptt. [n.d., c. 17550.] En ngraving, 18th h century wateermark. Plate: 190 x 30 00mm (7½ x 11¾''). 1 £95 A view of the central c court oof the Chinese Imperial paalace. After an n illustration in Jan Nieuhoff's account off first embassy y of the Dutchh East India Company to China, as published in Ogilbyy's English ed dition. Stock: 49912
659. Jejen nienen. F.P. [Etched by Francis Pllace.] [London n: John Ogilbyy 1669.] mm (4 x 6½").. Trimmed to Etching. Sheeet 100 x 165m printed bordeer, laid on albuum paper. £770 A Chinese ciity on the bankks of a river. Etched E by Francis Placee for the Engliish edition of Johannes Nieuhof's 'Ann Embassy froom the East-In ndia Companyy of the Unitedd Provinces, too the Grand Tartar Cham Emperor of C China' Pennington 1154, un nsigned.
66 63. The City of Nan-K Kin from Nieeuhof. Plate 6. No.4 page.8. J. Basire sculp. [n.d., c.1780..] ngraving. Platte: 200 x 310m mm (8 x 12''). Small En margins. m £95 A view of Nanjjing in China. After an illusstration in Jan Nieuhoff's N acco ount of first em mbassy of the Dutch East In ndia Company y to China, as ppublished in Ogilby's O En nglish edition c. 1670. Stock: 49905
660. Kinn nungam. [Etched by W Wenceslaus Hoollar.] [Londo on: John Ogilbby 1669.] mm (4 x 6½").. Trimmed to Etching. Sheeet 100 x 165m printed bordeer, laid on albuum paper. £770 A view of thee walled city of o Ji'an, with two t large boaats sailing in forreground at lefft and centre, and pagodas rising above the walls. Etcched by Wenceslaus Hollar J Nieu uhof's 'An for the English edition of Johannes m the East-Inddia Company of the Unitedd Embassy from Provinces, too the Grand Taartar Cham Em mperor of China'. Pennnington 1154, unsigned. Stock: 49625
Vue d de Nanhun [engraved in n reverse] Nanhung Ist die 3te Haaupt=Granzz und Zoll Stadt, in deer chinesisch hen Provinzz Quantung.... Nanhun Esst la troisiem me Ville capiitale fronterieree e douaine dans d la Prov vince chinoisse Quantung... 661.
Gravé par Frrancois Xav. Habermann. H Se vend à Augsbourg aau Negoce com mune de l'Acaademie Imperiale d'E Empire des Arrts libereaux avec a Privilege de Sa Majestté Imperiale wr w avec Defense ni d'en fairee ni do vendre les copies. [nn.d., c.1770.]. Very fine colloured engravving. 315 x 410mm (12½ x 16"). Printer''s crease reinfforced with tap pe on reverse;; stitch holes inn margin withh old patch. Small S margins . £2880 own, centred oon A stylised view of a Chineese fortified to a river with a junk and othher local boatss. The print is a vüe-d'optiquue, designed to o be viewed through an opptical viewer called a zograascope, whichh gave a three--dimensional effect, e accoun nting for the tittle in reverse above the scenee. Stock: 49606
The C City of Nan--Kin from Nieuhof. N Plate 6. No.4 page.8. 662.
J. Basire scullp. [n.d., c.17880.] Hand-coloured engraving. Plate: 200 x 310mm 3 (8 x 12''). £1440 A view of Naanjing in Chinna. After an illlustration in JJan Nieuhoff's acccount of firstt embassy of th he Dutch Eastt India Compaany to China, as a published in Ogilby's English edition c. 1670. Stock: 49907
China Taf. T II. Kaiiserliches Lu ustschloss beei Nanking. 66 64.
[L Leipzig, verlag g von Dürfflinng und Frante,, n.d., c.1850.] ngraving with h hand colour. 270 x 315mm m (10½ x En 12 2½"). £140 A collection off vignette scennes of Chinesee life arrangedd arround a centraal view of the E Emperor's Palace in Nanking, N includ des a tea imagge. A plate from Em mil Wendt's 'B Bilderatlas derr Läänderkunde...' Stock: 49757
China Taf. T II. Kaiiserliches Lu ustschloss beei Nanking. 66 65.
[L Leipzig, verlag g von Dürfflinng und Frante,, n.d., c.1850.] £190 ngraving. 270 0 x 315mm (100½ x 12½"). En A collection off vignette scennes of Chinesee life arrangedd arround a centraal view of the E Emperor's Palace in Nanking, N includ des a tea imagge. A plate from Em mil Wendt's 'B Bilderatlas derr Läänderkunde...' Stock: 49761
66 66. [Vue d'une Rue à N Nanking.] [P Published by Probst P in Augssburg?, c1760 0] En ngraving with h hand colour, trimmed to border b painted bllack as a vuë d'optique. d Sheeet 280 x 425m mm (11 x 16 6¾"). Title excised, wear too edges. £260 A street scene in i Nanking, prrepared as a vuë v d'optique, fo or viewing thro ough a zograsscope, a device of mirrors an nd lenses that gave a 3-D efffect. Kapff: K311. K Stock: 49762
Chin na Taf. III. Der D Potzella anthurm zu Nanking. 667.
[Leipzig, verrlag von Dürfffling und Fran nte, n.d., c.1850.] with hand colouur. 270 x 315m mm (10½ x Engraving w 12½"). £2550 A collection of vignette sccenes of Chineese life arrangged T in around a cenntral view of thhe Porcelain Tower Kanking, inccluding views of Whampoa and Macao. A plate from m Emil Wendt'ss 'Bilderatlas der Länderkundee...' Stock: 49760
Chin na Taf. III. Der D Potzella anthurm zu Nanking. 668.
[Leipzig, verrlag von Dürfffling und Fran nte, n.d., c.1850.] £2550 Engraving. 2270 x 315mm (10½ x 12½")). A collection of vignette sccenes of Chineese life arrangged T in around a cenntral view of thhe Porcelain Tower Kanking, inccluding views of Whampoa and Macao. A plate from m Emil Wendt'ss 'Bilderatlas der Länderkundee...' Stock: 49759
Shan nghae-One of o the Five Ports P opened d by the Latee Treaty to British B Com mmerce. 669.
Drawn by B. Clayton, from m an original painting p by Piqua. On Sttone by Dean & Co. [1847.]] Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £1880 t five ports A view of thee port of Shannghai, one of the opened to Brritish Traders following the Treaty of Nanking whiich ended the First Opium War. W An illustration frrom 'The History of China and a India Pictorial andd Descriptive...' by Julia Corrner 1847. Abbey 468.
A full-length po ortrait of Michhael Xin (or Michael M Shen Fu u-Tsung, c.1658-91), dresseed in Chinese robes, hand on n breast, holdiing a crucifix.. A convert to caatholocism, Xiin visited Italy y, France and En ngland, the firrst recorded viisit by a Chinese man. After A meeting James J II the K King commissiion Kneller too paaint his portrait, which was hung in his bedroom. In 16 687 the Oxforrd scholar andd librarian Tho omas Hyde (1 1636-1704) paaid him to trannslate and cataalogue Chinese docum ments in the Boodleian Librarry (including he Selden map p), communicaating in Latin. . In 1688 he th viisited Lisbon and a died on M Mozambique on o his way ho ome. Kneller's K portraait Stock: 49834
[Signattures of threee of the son ns of Nawab Sa ayyid Mansur Ali Khann of Bengal.] 67 72.
8tth November 1865. Th hree signaturees in Arabic sccript on writin ng paper, withh Laatin script tran nsliteration. Shheet 205 x 12 25mm (8 x 5""). Laid on alb bum paper. £260 Th he sons of Nawab Sayyid M Mansur Ali Kh han (183084 4), the last Naawab of Bengaal visited Euro ope with their faather in the 1860s, where thheir signatures were co ollected. The names are wrritten Mirza Mirza M Syed Hassam H Ali, Mirza Syed Hooosein Ali and d Miiza Syed Mahommed M Ali. When title of Nawab of Bengal was ab bolished in 1880 the eldest sson, Sayyid Hassan H Ali Mirza M Bahadur (1846-1906, bbecame the fiirst Nawab of Murshidabad. M Stock: 50083
[Shaooguan] The City Shau-C Chew 100 miles North h of Canton. 670.
G. Child Scuulp.t. [London, n.d., c.1750.] Engraving, 18th century watermark. w 190 0 x 300mm (77½ £1440 x 11¾"), withh large marginns. A view of Shhaoguan from the North Riv ver, once the home of Mattteo Ricci's miission house. This view illustrates thee account of thhe VOC's emb bassy to Chinaa (1655-7) by JJohan Nieuhooff. From an edittion of Astley''s 'A New Gen neral Collectioon of Voyages aand Travels'. Stock: 49637
[Mich hael Xin- Th he Chinese Convert] C Hanc Francisci Coupleet, Societ, Jeesu, ad Fidem m Christianam m inter Sineensis prapag gandam missi, Imaagineml Aº 1687 a Gotho ofredo Kneller Qu uite pictam.... 671.
D.D.D. Johannnes Faber Aºº. 1. Sold d by J. Faber aat the Golden H Head in Bloom msbury Squaree. Extremely raare mezzotint. Sheet 500 x 350mm 3 (19¾ x 13¾"). Trimm med to plate, bottom b right corner c lost, losing part off title and insccription, creasses, small tearss. £4550
67 73. Calcuttta. Drawn D on the Spot S by J.T. Ra Rawlins. On Sttone by Dean & Co. [1847.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 1455 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £140 A view of the port p town of C Calcutta. An illustration from 'The Histo ory of China aand India Picto orial and Descriptive...' D by b Julia Corneer 1847. Abbeyy 468, Plate 12 2. Stock: 50125
67 74. The Me erchants of Calicut Seizzed and Chained C to a Barren Rocck by Orderr of Tippoo Sa aib. Drawn D on the Spot S by J.T. Ra Rawlins. On Sttone by Dean & Co. [1847.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 1455 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £70
A scene show wing the contrrolling of merchants following thee invasion of Kerala K by My ysore. An illustration frrom 'The History of China and a India Pictorial andd Descriptive...' by Julia Corrner 1847. Abbey 468, P Plate 10. Stock: 50124
675. Dowllat-a-bad. Drawn on thee Spot by J.T.. Rawlins. On Stone by Deaan & Co. [1847.] 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 Cockling. £1220 D An A illustration A view of thee fortress at Dowlatabad. from 'The Hiistory of China and India Piictorial and Descriptive...' by Julia Corrner 1847. Abbey 468, Platee 2. Stock: 50127
676. Goa, From the Upper U Curta ain. Drawn on thee Spot by J.T.. Rawlins. On Stone by Deaan & Co. [1847.] 1 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). Tinted lithoggraph. Sheet: 145 Slight cocklinng. £1660 A view of thee Western porrt town of Goaa. An illustration frrom 'The History of China and a India Pictorial andd Descriptive...' by Julia Corrner 1847. Abbey 468, P Plate 3. Stock: 50122
67 78. [Great Reed Warb bler] 26. L'E Efarvatte et so on nid. Gran ndeur naturrelle. Sylvia a arrundinacea (Latham.) E Europe. Ed douard Traviéés. London puub by Gambartt, Junin & Co. 25 Bernierss S.t. graph. Sheet 4490 x 375mm (19¼ x Coloured lithog £360 4¾"). Printseller's blindstam mp. 14 A great reed waarbler on its di distinctive nestt. Pllate 26 of the series 'Les oisseaux les plus reemarquables par p leurs formees et leurs cou uleurs'. Stock: 50624
67 79. Cannam more Fort_SSetting on of o the Monsoon. M Drawn D by J.T. Rawlins. R On SStone by Dean n & Co. [1 1847.] Tiinted lithograp ph. Sheet: 1455 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). £120 A view of St. Angelo A Fort inn Kannur or Caannamore in In ndia. An illustrration from 'T The History off China and In ndia Pictorial and a Descriptivve...' by Julia Corner 1847. Ab bbey 468, Pla ate 8. Stock: 50126
[Eight watercolourr views of Larkhana, Pakistan]. 68 80.
[V Various dates, latest 1854.] 8 watercolours,, largest c. 2600 x 360mm (10¼ x 14"). £1250 A collection off views of Sinddh, in the enviirons of Laarkhana, home to the Bhuttto family sincee the 18th ceentury. By Mrs. Stewart off Lackhavah, annotated a on veerso in ink inccluding Hafficca Sera, design ned and built by y Captain Allaais, Deputy Foord Collector of Laackhavah. Stock: 50437
68 81. La Perruche à colllier rose. (B Buffon) Grandeur G na aturelle. Psitttacus toqua atus (B Brisson.) Afrrique. Ed douard Traviéés. Imp. Lemeercier à Paris. Paris. Ledot aiiné Edit Rue de d Rivoli 174. London, E. Gambart G & Co. 25 Bernierss S.t Oxf. St. graph. Sheet 4490 x 375mm (19¼ x Coloured lithog £320 4¾"). Tear enttering image rrepaired. 14 Th he infamous ring-necked r paarakeet, the pllague of So outh East Eng gland, shown iin its correct location in thee lo ower Himalayaas. Pllate 41 of the series 'Les oisseaux les plus reemarquables par p leurs formees et leurs cou uleurs'. Stock: 50327
[Hind du Goddess.] Typus Pu ullae seu cybelis aut Isidis Sinen nsium. Charracteres Sacrri quos Sinae a Brachmaanib acceperrunt ÿsq magnae suaae Deastrae attributa ex xperimunt. 677.
[n.d., c.1770.] Plate: 305 x 2110mm (12 x 8¼''). Trimmedd Engraving. P and laid on aalbum sheet att corners. £665 A portrait off Hindu multi-armed goddesss sitting uponn a lotus. Abovee her are sanskkrit like characcters. Stock: 49910
68 82. Falco Cherrug. C Chherrug Falco on. Drawn D by Wateerhouse Hawkkins. Printed by b Graf & So oret. [London: Treuttel, Wuurz, Treuttel Ju un. and Richter, and Paarbury, Allen aand Co., 1830 0-1834.] Liithograph with h fine hand coolour. 485 x 430mm (19 x 13 3½"), on Whaatman paper w watermarked 1832. Mounted M on alb bum paper. £220 A saker falcon, a large speciees that inhabitts from Central Europe to Manchuriaa. A plate from 'Illlustrations off Indian Zoolo ogy; chiefly seelected from th he Collection of Major-Gen neral
Hardwicke bby John Edwarrd Gray', draw wn by Benjamiin Waterhouse H Hawkins (18007-89), one off a team of artists both E European and Indian. The prrospectus to thhe work stated tthat the editionn was to be lim mited to 250 copies; the liist of subscribers accounts for f only 101, forty of whom m were directtors of the Easst India Company. wkins was appoointed directo or of the fossill In 1852 Haw department aat the Crystal Palace, P wheree he worked with Richardd Owen on thee famous modeels of dinosauurs and other exttinct lifeformss.
A portrait of Du uleep Singh (11838-1893), th he last Sikh Maharaja M who spent s much off his life in Grreat Britain affter being brou ught from Indi dia by the Britiish Crown. He H was much admired a by Quueen Victoria and Victorian V society. His interacction with his mother was cllosely controllled and he hadd very few, restricted visits to o India.
Drawn D on the Spot S by B. Claayton. On Ston ne by Dean & Co. [1847.] ph. Sheet: 1455 x 235mm (5¾ x 9¼''). Tiinted lithograp £130 A view of the Taj T Mahal from m the river. An A illustration from 'The Histo ory of China aand India Picto orial and Descriptive...' D by b Julia Corneer 1847. Abbeyy 468, Plate 6.
683. Scarccity in India a [&] British h Plenty. Painted by H H. Singleton. Engraved E by C: C Knight. Pubb.d Jan.y 1st 17994 by C. Knighht, Stoke, Buccks, & Random m Stainbank & Sayer, 17 Oldd Bond Street, London. Pair of stipplle engravings with hand collour. Each c. 600 x 455mm m (23½ x 18")), with large margins. m 'Scarcity' witth surface weaar in inscriptio on area and margins. 'Pleenty' with worrming in inscriiption area andd some wear inn margins. £8550 A rare pair of scenes after Henry Singleeton (17661839) which contrast Britiish wealth witth food n Bengal shortages in IIndia at a timee of famine in between 1769-1770. b two 'British Plentty' shows a sinngle seaman between women who,, although theyy appear to bee selling the man vegetables, are markeed as prostitutes by their finne d two dresses. In coontrast, 'Scarccity in India' depicts young Englisshmen offerinng cheap trinkeets to a youngg Indian girl ouutside an emppoverished villlage. Stock: 50059
68 85. The To omb of the F Favourite Su ultana of Akber A Khan,, at Agra.
68 86. Village e Indochinoiis. Laauvergne del. Himely sc. D De Sainson Ed dit. Finet imp. [P Paris: Imprimeerie Royale, 1 833-1835.] Aquatint A on chiine collé, 265 x 360mm (10 0½ x 14¼"), with w very large margins withh blindstamp of o 'La Faavorite'. Spottting at edges. Staining in margins m on leeft. £140 Frrom 'Voyage autour a du monnde par les meers de l'Inde ett de la Chine de d la corvette dde sa Majestee La Favorite ex xecute pendan nt les annees 11830, 1831, 18 832 sous le co ommandement de M. Laplaace...' (5 vols).. Stock: 49630
68 87. Plan de e la Ville et ddu Chateau de Batavia... B Dheulland D Scullp. [Paris, n.d.., c.1750.] En ngraved town plan. 230 x 3315mm (9 x 12 2¼"). Binding folds as a normal. £140 A plan of the Dutch D colony oof Batavia, now Jakarta, orrientated with north to the leeft, with an ex xtensive key. Stock: 49988
68 88. The City of Malaccca in the Ea ast Indies. Engraved E forr Middleton 's Completee System of Geography. G [L London: J. Cooke, c.1780.] En ngraving. 200 0 x 295mm (8 x 11½"), with h large margins. m £140 A view of the Dutch D fort at M Malacca City. Stock: 49605
His R Royal Highn ness the Mah harajah Dhuleep Siingh. ''Supp plement to The T Illustrated News of thee World''. 684.
Engraved byy D.J. Pound frrom a Photogrraph by Mayaall. N The London Joint Stock Newspaper Company_Liimited. Officee, 199, Strand,, London. [n.dd., c.1860.] Sheet: 395 x 275mm (15½ x 11''). Bit Engraving. S dusty. £990
68 89. View From F Near thhe Rajah's Cottage. C T. Picken, lith. Day & Son, L Lith.rs to the Queen. Q ublished by Sm mith, Elder & Co. 65 Cornh hill London. Pu Chromolithograaph. Sheet: 1440 x 215mm (5½ x 8½''). £160 A view of the kingdom k of Saarawak, which h was ruled by y an Englishm man Sir James Brooke (1803 3-1868) from 18 841 until his death. d While sserving as gov vernor of Saarawak he helped repress a large rebellio on and restore th he Sultan of Brrunei who gavve him the kin ngdom. An illlustration from m 'Life in the fforests of the Far East; or,
Travels in noorthern Borneoo, Vol.1' by Sir St. John, Spenser. Stock: 50317
690. Kina a Balu From m Pinokok Valley. T. Picken, litth. Day & Sonn, Lith.rs to th he Queen. Published byy Smith, Elderr & Co. 65 Cornhill Londonn. Chromolithograph. Sheet: 140 x 215mm m (5½ x 8½''). £1660 Mount Kinabalaau in Borneo, Malaysia. Ann A view of M illustration frrom 'Life in thhe forests of th he Far East; orr, Travels in noorthern Borneoo, Vol.1' by St. John, Spensser Sir Stock: 50315
691. Kina a Balu from the Lower Tampasuk. T T. Picken, litth. Day & Sonn, Lith.rs to th he Queen. Published byy Smith, Elderr & Co. 65 Cornhill Londonn. Chromolithograph. Sheet: 140 x 215mm m (5½ x 8½''). £1660 Mount Kinabalaau in Borneo, Malaysia. Ann A view of M illustration frrom 'Life in thhe forests of th he Far East; orr, Travels in noorthern Borneoo, Vol.1' by St. John, Spensser Sir Stock: 50318
692. City of Brunei_S Sunset. T. Picken, litth. Day & Sonn, Lith.rs to th he Queen. Published byy Smith, Elderr & Co. 65 Cornhill Londonn. Chromolithograph. Sheet: 140 x 215mm m (5½ x 8½''). £2660 nd of Borneo iin A view of thee city of Brunnei on the islan Asia. An illuustration from 'Life in the fo orests of the F ar East; or, Travvels in northerrn Borneo, Vo ol.1' by Sir St.. John, Spenseer. Stock: 50316
69 94. A Persiian Archer. Orlowski O ex. naat del. [Denis Dighton lith.]] [C. Hullmandel.] H lithograph. Shheet: 210 x 27 Hand-coloured H 75mm (8¼ x 10 0¾''). Trimmeed. £160 A scene, showing a mountedd Persian soldiier aiming his bo ow and arrow at a point in tthe left while two further ho orsemen follow w behind. Royyal Collection n RCIN 76 60796. Stock: 50094
69 95. Engage ement betweeen the Crew w of the Waaksamhey W yd Transporrt, & the Na atives of an Issland near Mindanao. M Cap.t Hunter R.N. inv.t. Greiig sculp.t. Pub blish'd by d, 1 Dec. 18011. Bunney & Gold Aquatint. A Sheett: 145 x 245m mm (5¾ x 9¾'')). Trimmed. £140 A view near Miindanao near tthe Philippinees in which a Dutch D ship is atttacked by loccal inhabitantss. Stock: 49939
69 96. Patriac cha Dos Marronitas. Corria lith. Portto. Lith R. de Reboleira N.2 29 e 30. Hand-coloured H 80mm (11 x lithograph. Shheet: 280 x 18 7''), with large margins. m Slighht foxing. £160 A portrait of a priest p of the M Maronite Churrch in Lisbon. Stock: 49890
A Map of Little Boochara and the t ad djacent Cou untries. Draawn from th he Survey off th he Jesuits an nd Mr. Kyriillow's Map of the Russian R Emp pire. 69 97.
Th ho.s Kitchin sculp. s [Londonn: Richard Baaldwin,17523..] En ngraved map. 170 x 250mm m (10½ x 9¾"), with very laarge margins. Split S in lowerr plate mark, chips c in ed dges. £75 A map of the Tarim Basin inn the western part p of Xinjiang X provin nce of China, with Kasgar here h called 'H Hasikar or Hasshgar'. Frrom Thomas Salmon's S 'Thee Universal Trraveller: or, A co ompleat descriiption of the sseveral nations of the world'. w Stock: 49635
A Map of Westernn Tartary. Drawn D from th he Survey off the Jesuits and Mr. Ky yrillow's Map M of the Russian R Emppire. 69 98.
693. A Go olam, or Soldier of the King's K Guarrd. [Orlowski] ddel. [Denis Digghton lith.] [C C. Hullmandel .] Hand-coloured lithograph.. Sheet: 205 x 275mm (8 x med. 10¾''). Trimm £1660 A scene, showing a mountted Persian soldier aiming hhis rifle at the left. Stock: 50095
Th ho.s Kitchin sculp. s [Londonn: Richard Baaldwin,17523..] En ngraved map. 170 x 240mm m (10½ x 9½"), with very laarge margins. Chips C in edgees. Slight timee staining.£75 A map of Mong golia, with souuthern Siberiaa and China to o Beijing. Feattured are the G Great Wall of China, the Gobi G Desert and Lake Baikall. From Thom mas Salmon's 'T The Universal Traveller: or, A compleat description d of th he several nations of the woorld'. Stock: 49634
699. Costu umes Turcs. No 15. A. Lacauchiee. Paris, Lith. de Godard , Q. Q des Augustins 555. Paris, Hauteecoeur frères, r. Vivienne, 441 et rue de Rivvoli, 116. Coloured & ttinted lithograaph with fine hand h colour annd gum arabic hhighlights. Prinnted area 295 x 200mm (111½ x 8"), with laarge margins. Very slight sp potting. £1660 A bright, rom mantic image of o a Turkish couple c in colourful cloothing standingg on an Orienttal carpet, thee woman holdiing a parrot. Stock: 49998
Mam meluck Retreeating. Equ uestrian Gallery, byy Victor Adaam. No 9. 700.
London, Pubblished by Chaarles Tilt 86, Fleet F St. [n.d., c.1838]. Sheet 330 x 470mm (13 x 18½"), 1 with Lithograph. S large marginns. £2660 ng a battle. An Ottoman rider, pistol inn hand, leavin Stock: 50672
701. Smyrrna. No. 20,, Sacred Cab binet. W. Clark, lithh, 202, High Holborn. H [n.d., c.1840.] Lithograph. S Sheet: 205 x 265mm 2 (8 x 10½''). £880 A view of thee important poort town of Sm myrna (now Izmir) on thee Aegean coasst of Turkey. Stock: 49886
A collection of over 700 fine, decorative and rare prints we have uploaded to our web site at www.grosvenorprint.com
Published on Oct 24, 2018
A collection of over 700 fine, decorative and rare prints we have uploaded to our web site at www.grosvenorprint.com