7 Little Known Secrets The Telco’s Don’t Want You to Know Telco’s don’t want you to know When a better deal becomes available By Greg Eicke
LEGAL NOTICE The Publisher has strived to be as accurate and complete as possible in the creation of this report, notwithstanding the fact that he does not warrant or represent at any time that the contents within are accurate due to the rapidly changing nature of the Industry. While all attempts have been made to verify information provided in this publication, the Publisher assumes no responsibility for errors, omissions, or contrary interpretation of the subject matter herein. Any perceived slights of specific persons, peoples, or organisations are unintentional. In practical advice books, like anything else in life, there are no guarantees of savings made. Readers are cautioned to reply on their own judgment about their individual circumstances to act accordingly. This book is not intended for use as a source of legal, business, accounting or financial advice. All readers are advised to seek services of competent professionals in legal, business, accounting and finance fields.
ÂŠ Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 2 All Rights reserved
Introducing Greg Eicke My name is Greg Eicke and I’ve been working at the leading edge of voice communications for the past 29 years. In that time I’ve found that most companies are interested in two things when it comes to their phone technology. Firstly, how to increase their productivity with better voice and data communication and secondly, how to reduce the phone bill. I bring great news for the business owner who is looking for impressive productivity increases and equally enjoyable cost savings. Another key frustration for businesses is the sheer complexity of many phone and data solutions. The good news is that communications complexity ends with Greg Eicke from phone systems Brisbane! As do all of its painful implications. Almost three decades in this industry has enabled me to develop what I call ‘brilliantly simple’ phone systems. These solutions will make communications and collaboration second nature for your workforce. And of course they save you big dollars in ongoing phone costs… another reason why they are brilliant! Now onto the ’7 Secrets…’ I put this document together to help people become aware of where the pitfalls are when purchasing new a phone system and what options you have available to you. I’ve been able to piece all of this together because for the better part of my career I’ve stayed independent of any one Telco so as to be able to provide non biased advice to my clients. This has also allowed me to learn many of the insider secrets’ that the Telco’s don’t want you to know. Here’s what a few people have said about the way I have helped them to easily solve common communication problems in their businesses…
Mobility “The combination of Direct Dial numbers, personal voice to email messaging and ability to reroute calls from the field to the office (and visa versa) has meant that our customers are now receiving enhanced levels of service at no additional cost to FITEC” Tim Isaacs, General Manager. FITEC
Cost Reductions “Normally a sales person will tell you anything to make a sale… he delivered on his promises. Greg is good at keeping an eye out for ways to reduce costs… we have saved about $900 a month since the new phone system was installed.” Ross Tait, CEO. Ballina Toyota “…we have virtually halved the monthly cost of calls to mobile phones… His advice proved to be financially sound, and we are very happy with Greg’s thorough attention to detail” Darryl Dickson, Chief Financial Officer. Huebner Toyota
© Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 3 All Rights reserved
“As a large medical clinic, we are used to spending a lot on telephone accounts, however we are saving between 50 to 60 percent off our monthly bills… It is good to know that the system should pay for itself within two-and-a-half years”.
Cathy Sawyers, Practice Manager. Wellers Hill Medical Centre.
Independent Advice that works for you “Greg recommended the new system based on our long-term business plans and the requirements of our recently opened Melbourne office… As a bonus, Greg identified an overcharging error in our Telstra accounts. This led to a $7000 refund from Telstra”.
Deidre Grace, Director. People in Plastic.
“Greg also freely advised, without favour, on solutions which were outside his commercial realm”.
Tim Isaacs, General Manager. FITEC
Excellent follow up service “While the financial benefits are great, the thing that impressed me most was the way Greg responded to my calls …The Follow up service was excellent”
Peter Rushmore, Practice Manager. Terrace Eye Centre.
Missing calls frustrating you? “As I write this, we are in the middle of flu season and we have had nowhere near the number of complaints from patients saying they could not get through to the clinic… We were losing more than 1,000 calls a month with our old system.” Cathy Sawyers, Practice Manager. Wellers Hill Medical Centre.
© Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 4 All Rights reserved
“7 Secrets the Telco’s don’t want you to know” 1. Firstly, they don’t want you to know when a better deal becomes available. I have lost count of the number of customers who say ‘Why has my ‘Telecom’ Account Manager not shown me these strategies?’… This is mostly said after I’ve spent just a few minutes showing them some simple strategies to significantly reduce call costs without changing Telco providers.
2. “Bundling” your telephone hardware with your ‘call spend’ cuts you out of massive savings. The sales person gave you a great spiel – told you everything you wanted to hear. i.e. “It’s Easy…Everything is on easy to read bill…you will save up to 16%... one easy monthly payment.” or perhaps “We’ll give you thousands $ to spend on a new phone system, just sign up for this fixed spend for 5 years” Here’s the real FACTS; Telco’s are primarily interested in your monthly call spend! Telco call rates have consistently dropped annually over the past decade A tiny discount (around 16%) on qualifying calls to lock you into fixed prices for 3 – 5 years. (Think about it this way…would you lock in a fixed Mortgage rate in a falling interest rate market?) In almost all cases the tiny Telco discount falls a long way short of off setting the cost of paying for the their re-branded phone system. Telco’s need to maintain revenue levels; they’re simply not concerned about reducing your bill. Instead offering purported FREE $ to spend on a phone system equipment (only supplied by them). In return for your lengthy obligation of a minimum monthly spend for the next 5 years. (Would you sign a 5 year mobile phone contract? what’s more “Would you consider an extended period when the NBN is just around the corner?)
3. How to avoid being forced to change your phone number. I’ve witnessed countless times the “You’re kidding me!” look from customers after I say, ‘there’s an excellent chance you can keep your existing number at you’re new address’.… again they ask “Why didn’t my ‘Telco’ Account Manager not tell me?” In almost all instances numbers can be moved to other exchange areas within the same city.
© Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 5 All Rights reserved
4. Too many customers per account manager in most Telco’s It takes quite a few (5+) years, continual training sessions, some technical prowess and raw feet on the street experience to have any genuine hope of understanding the technology in modern Voice and Data Networks. Typically telecom account managers are young and entirely sales focused hungry for their next commission cheque. This means that on the whole customers have to put up with unsuitably qualified, inexperienced account managers who are forced into reactive modes due to the high customer to account manager ratios. Would you trust your business with an inexperienced Accountant or perhaps a 1st year Solicitor? I’ve lost count of the times I’ve heard ‘we have an account manager, but we never hear from them and we can’t raise them on the phone’. What’s more when we manage to get a live person to answer we discover they’re new to the role replacing the former hard to find manager! Our experience over the last 29 years has noticed the average life of a telecom account managers to be around 12 to 18 months before they move on. In that time they feverishly sign up unwitting customers to lengthy 5 year contracts, mostly leaving behind a legacy of disgruntled uninformed and poorly serviced customers.
5. How To Avoid Being Trapped By Poor Quality VoIP VoIP stands for “Voice Over Internet Protocol” … Not ‘Voice Over the Internet’. I have witnessed inexperienced sales people promise ‘perfect voice quality’ using ADSL internet connections. The reality is ADSL is simply not reliable enough to use for business grade voice communications. VoIP technology works exceptionally well. It can deliver a secure, high quality and low cost phone service. To avoid being trapped by poor audio quality, discuss your options and strategies to fashion a purpose built network for voice communications.
© Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 6 All Rights reserved
6. High Commissions influence the recommendations made by Telco Account Executives This removes the benefit of ‘independent’ advice that is best for your business Once again you get the great spiel… “Everything is on easy to read Bill… You will save up to 16%... We’ll support you – just call 1300 ??? ???... One Easy monthly payment.” But here are the FACTS. The Telco Account Manager; Often decides which “Mate” he’ll get to sell you the telephone system purely based upon the “Mates” closing ratio (ie; the likelihood of the Telco Account exec getting their free commission). Is heavily influenced Not to discuss your Best available options allowing you to make an informed decision. Receives very high commissions on long term contracts Bundled with Telephone Equipment Hardware. Questionable integrity. Support = Call a Help Desk, wait in the queue, speak with a low qualified call centre operator, get passed around from operator to operator (sound familiar?) And all you want is to speak with the people who installed the system, but you have to go through this other process first. Sounds Hard – Because it is hard.
7. Never again, will you have to pay Line Rental ‘Tax’ for every line. Your telephone number is your unique identity and very important to your business so avoiding line rental is not always possible, however the quantity and type of lines required to successfully operate your business is another story. Telco’s work on a formula for your line requirements based on your staff numbers and to some extent your industry. With simple and innovative voice solutions, a medium sized office could expect to Save around $2500 - $3000 per year in excess ‘Line Rental Taxes’.
© Greg Eicke 2011 | www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au | 1300 366 133 | page 7 All Rights reserved
Published on Sep 13, 2012
Published on Sep 13, 2012
http://issuu.com/gregeicke/docs/7_little_known_secrets http://www.phonesystemsbrisbane.net.au 1300 851 411 Brilliantly Simple Phone Systems