Page 1








ThePlanningAdvisoryGroup R O O F Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information Booklet S H E D

SIGNS HEDGEROWS OUTBUILDINGS Please feel free to contact any of the businesses featured in this booklet for advice on all matters concerning your application.





Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information


Guiding the householder through planning permission and building regulations If you are considering any of the following modifications you will need to draw on the The Planning Advisory Group’s expertise and support: • Conservatories • Garden Walls • Drains • Embanking • Extensions • External Walls • Carport • Fences • Garage • Terracing • Gates • Fuel Tanks • Greenhouse • Porch • Roof • Shed • Signs • Hedgerows • Outbuildings • Kitchen Extensions • Summerhouse • Garage Conversions • Trees

What is ‘Building Work’ as defined in the Buiding Regulations?

Am i required to consult my neighbours about my proposed buiding work?

The definition means that the following types of project amount to ‘Building Work’:

Generally there are no obligations to consult your neighbours, but it would be sensible to do so. In any event, you should be careful that your proposed building work does not interfere with their property as this could lead to bad feeling and possibly civil action for the modification or removal of the work. For example, your work may comply with the Building Regulations but could result in the obstruction or malfunctioning of your neighbour’s boiler flue.

• the erection or extension of a building; • the installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the regulations; • an alteration project involving work which will temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings; • the insertion of insulation into a cavity wall; and • the underpinning of the foundations of a building.

Seeking advice and choosing your builder Unless you have a reasonable working knowledge of building construction it would be advisable before any work is started to obtain appropriate professional advice which is relevant to the building work you want to carry out (e.g. from an architect, a structural engineer, a building surveyor a heating engineer or replacement window specialist) and to choose a registered builder or a registered installer to carry out the work.

You should also check your boundary lines and satisfy yourself that there are no deeds of covenant which may prevent you carrying out certain types of building work close to or directly adjoining your neighbour’s property.

Practical advice Planning Permission Explained

An Overview Of Building Regulations

Parliament has given the main responsibility for planning to local planning authorities (usually, this is the planning department of your local council). Therefore, if you have any queries about a particular case, the first thing to do is to contact your local planning authority. You may also be able to find out more about planning law in your local library.

Meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations is the responsibility of the person carrying out the building work and, if they are not the same person, the owner of the building. The building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed.

If you are concerned about a legal problem involving planning, the local Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor may be able to help. It is your responsibility for seeking, or not seeking, planning permission. If required, planning permission should be granted before any work begins.


If you are carrying out building work personally, it is very important that you understand how the building regulatory system and material applies to your situation as you are responsible for making sure that the work complies with the building regulations. If you are employing a builder, the responsibility will usually be their’s but you should confirm this at the very beginning. You should also bear in mind that if you are the owner of the building, it is ultimately you who may be served with an enforcement notice if the work does not comply with the regulations.

The responsibility for checking the Building Regulations have been met falls to Building Control Bodies (BCBs) - either from the Local Authority or the private sector as an Approved Inspector. The person carrying out the work has the choice of where to get approval for the building work. In the case of some minor works, the contractor (if approved to do so) may be able to self-certify the work, meaning you will not need to seek approval directly yourself - the contractor will notify the Building Control Body of their work and that it has been done in accordance with the Building Regulations (separate to Planning Permission). How to get approval depends on whether a Local Authority Building Control or Approved Inspector Building Control service is being used.





01706 550149 or 07944 188882


Building Contractors Commercial Domestic

Timber Frame Specialists

Luxury Housing

Approved Contractors to: LIDL • Travis Perkins Wickes • Tile Giant Free estimates • All work guaranteed NHBC Approved and CHAS Accredited

Industrial Public Sector

Affordable Housing Solutions to meet your budget

T: 0845 790190

F: 0845 616148

• M: 07831 657114 Sussex Building Service (Brighton) Ltd



The complete building service from design to completion Established Over 15 Years

• Extensions Conversions • Refurbishments • Loft Conversions • Roofing Work • Rising & Penetrating Damp Specialist • Maintenance & Repairs We are approved installers under the Construction Guarantee Scheme & can offer a 10 & 20 year insurance backed guarantee on all damp repairs Full references available All our work is guaranteed

Freephone 0845 783 2905

48 Sanyhills Avenue Brighton BN1 8UN

Mobile 07798 176 557

Telephone: 0845 220 653 Email: BEFORE

AFTER Local • Trusted • Reliable Covering all of South Manchester

P Builders Deep Cleans P Fully Trained Staff P Regular or One Off Cleans P Competative Prices

Call Margaret for a FREE Quote now!

0845 207422

P Professional Products Used P All Areas Covered P Commercial And Domestic Cleaning





Chris Ward Engineering Ltd Chris Ward Engineering Ltd Offers Options for Gates and Railings in Luton • Steels For The Construction Trade • Cutting & Welding on Site • Manual & Electric Gates • Ornamental Ironwork • Fabrications • Security Bars & Grills • Site Surveys

Laburnham Farm, Unit 8A LUTON LU2 9PW

Tel: 0845 902114

• Curtains • Blinds • Wallpaper • Top Brand Fabrics • Trimmings • Poles • Upholstery • Loose Covers • Soft Furnishings • Interior Design • Project Management Design Interiors Unit 16 Western Road Ind Est Stratford upon Avon CV37 0AH

Tel: 0845 269461 e-mail:

Opening hours: Mon - Fri 9.30am - 5pm Sat by appointment.

Current legislation There are a number of pieces of legislation that relate to the standards of premises or construction and, depending on the type of premises and whether any building work is being carried one or more could apply at any given time.

New or Altered Premises If building work is being carried out, the Building Regulations are likely to apply and will require certain standards to be met. The Building Regulations are made under powers in the Building Act. Separate Planning Permission may also be required for the work. Checking that the Building Regulations have been complied with is done by Building Control Bodies – either based in the Building Control department of the local authority or established as an “Approved Inspector” in the private sector. Certain types of building work close to or directly affecting the boundary or party wall of a premises may also be covered by the “Party Wall Act” which places obligations on people carrying out work. The recently introduced “Sustainable & Secure Buildings Act” also has powers that could affect new and altered premises. Some nondomestic premises may also be subject to Local Acts.

Existing Premises Existing domestic premises (housing) may well be covered by the Housing Act, enforced typically by the local housing authority. You can find out more from the Communities and Local Government (CLG) website. Existing non-domestic premises are likely to be covered by general fire safety law, enforced typically by the local Fire and Rescue Service. You can find out more from the Communities and Local Government (CLG) website. There will also be requirements of general health & safety legislation which should be met in nondomestic premises. Further information is available from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) website.

Construction Sites Certain types of construction sites will be subject to the Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations, which are enforced by the Health and Safety

Executive (HSE). You can find out more about construction site safety from the HSE website.

Building Act 1984 The Building Act 1984 is the enabling Act under which the Building Regulations have been made. The Secretary of State, under the power given in the Building Act 1984, may for any purposes of: • securing the health, safety, welfare and convenience of persons in or about buildings and of others who may be affected by buildings or matters connected with buildings; • furthering the conservation of fuel and power • preventing waste, undue consumption, misuse or contamination of water • furthering the protection or enhancement of the enviornment • facilitating sustainable development, or • furthering the prevention or detection of crime • make regulations with respect to the design and construction of buildings, demolition of buildings, and the provision of services, fittings and equipment in or in connection with buildings. Copies of the Building Act 1984 and its amending legislation are available from TSO. The current regulations governing these are the Building Regulations 2000 SI 2000/2531 (as amended).

Building Regulations and Approved Inspectors Regulations The Building Regulations 2000 and Building (Approved Inspectors etc) Regulations 2000, are made under The Building Act 1984, and apply in England and Wales. They set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings. The Department has published The Building Regulations Explanatory Booklet which provides an introduction to the Building Regulations in England and


Wales only and is intended for anyone proposing to carry out building projects.

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 Some kinds of work carried out to a property may not be controlled by the Building Regulations, but may be work which is covered by the The Party Wall etc Act 1996. This is a separate piece of legislation with different requirements to the Building Regulations. The Party Wall etc. Act makes provision in respect of party walls and excavation and construction in proximity to certain buildings or structures. There will be some instances where both the Party Wall etc. Act and the Building Regulations apply to the work being carried out. The Department has produced The Party Wall etc Act 1996: explanatory booklet that explains in simple terms how the Party Wall etc Act 1996 may affect someone who either wishes to carry out work covered by the Act (the Building Owner), or receives notification under the Act of proposed adjacent work (the Adjoining Owner).

The Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998 The Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998 enable local authorities in England and Wales to charge for carrying out their statutory building control functions relating to the Building Regulations.

The Construction Products Regulations 1991 The Construction Products Directive (89/106/EEC), which introduced CE marking for construction products, is implemented in the UK through the Construction Products Regulations (SI 1991/1620) (external link). These state that products must be fit for their intended purpose, and that a correctly carried out CE marking is one way of demonstrating this. There is no legal requirement under the UK Regulations for products to be CE marked before they can be put on the UK market or used in construction works.


lemongrass kitchens u n i t 1 2 • r a d f o r d c r e s c e n t • b i l l e r i c ay • c M 1 2 0 c G s h o w r o o M t i M e s : M o n - f r i 9 - 5 p M • s at 1 0 - 4 p M tel: 0845 634343 w w w. l e M o n G r a s s k i t c h e n s . c o . u k

THAME 0843 352 275 AYLESBURY 0844 568 106

Kitchens & Bathrooms

HIGH WYCOMBE 0845 809 558


3 Plumbing 3 Carpentry 3 Tiling 3 Electrical 3 Plastering 3 Decorating 3 Stud Walling

Genuine • Reliable • Professional

middleton bathrooms Create your ideal bathroom and add luxury to your house. With a little help from Middleton Bathrooms, make your bathroom one of the most important and personal rooms in your home, reflecting your taste and style. We design, supply and install all leading makes of bathroom suites and showers in and around Harrogate. Helping you to create your ideal room, our complete turnkey services include all related plumbing, tiling, plastering, joinery, electrics and decorating.

Our complete design and build services include: • Help in choosing the right bathroom / shower suite • Free no obligation quotations • Supply and installation (we are happy to install or supply only) • Plumbing, tiling, plastering, joinery, electrics, decorating • Guaranteed work and after sales service • Our pricing policy is to discount manufacturers retail prices (generally 20%) to allow you the choice of your luxury suite. contact us today for your no obligation quotation; we have over 20 years experience in supplying and installing bathroom suites. To transform your bathroom, please contact us to arrange a convenient time for us to visit you at your home.

18 Valley Road, Harrogate, N. Yorkshire, Hg2 0Jq Tel: 0845 502727 | Mob: 07791 124606 Email:

Choosing the right bathroom

made simple!

ic st s a nt er fa off


Tile Showroom Now Open

Designer Tiling and Laminate Flooring

Hundreds of styles to choose from

Work includes all wall and floor tiling throughout the home, laminate flooring and bathrooms from start to finish.

20% OFF


Opening Offers

15% OFF all tiles

For a free quote contact Gary Firth on 07800592356 or 01204304362


3 Benedict Square • Werrington • Peterborough • PE4 6GD

Telephone01733 0845 572010 Telephone 572010

View portfolio on


with something for every home.

Recommended by Topps Tiles

Tel: 0845 701151

Your responsibilities With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not). Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration) The general advice is to always discuss your proposals with the relevant Local Planning Authority and Building Control Service before starting work.

There are also other considerations ‘before you start work’ such as health and safety requirements and additional permissions that may need to be granted such as rights of way or listed buildings consent.

Common types of projects... 1. Kitchens and Bathrooms If a bathroom or kitchen is to be provided in a room where there wasn’t one before, building regulations approval is likely to be required to ensure that the room will have adequate ventilation and drainage, and meet requirements in respect of structural stability, electrical and fire safety.

Ground Floor WC Any dwelling unit that has been constructed after 1999 will have a ground floor WC installed which has been designed to cater for any visiting wheelchair users. During any re-fitting this WC should not be removed and the accessibility of the WC should not be made any worse as it would then be inadequate for future wheelchair users.

A structural engineer or surveyor can assess the floor and determine this for you. If the floor does need to be strengthened they can produce the paperwork Building Control will require before you commence the work.

Ventilation Each new room in a house should have adequate ventilation for general health reasons. The type of room will determine how much ventilation is required.

For these reasons, a Building Regulations application may be required if any alteration is to take place to an existing ground floor WC.

When inserting a new internal wall care should be taken not to make any other matters, such as ventilation worse. If a new room is being created as a result of the addition of an internal wall then care should also be taken to ensure that the existing room is ventilated adequately.

Floor structure

Mechanical extract fans

If the use of a room is changed and could result in the load (weight) on the floor structure changing significantly work to strengthen the floor may be necessary. For example, if a new bathroom suite is installed in a room where the floor structure is constructed of timber joists 10

and boards, there is a significant risk of the floor being overloaded from the bath once it is full of water and in use. Therefore, work may be needed to strengthen such a floor.

Any new kitchen, utility room, bath/shower room or WC with no openable window should be provided with a mechanical extract fan to reduce condensation and remove smells. The necessary performance of these extract fans is normally measured in litres per second (l/s) as follows:

• Kitchen - 30l/s if placed over the hob and 60lt/s if place elsewhere. • Utility room - 30l/s • Bath/shower - 15l/s with a 15 minute overrun (after the light is switched out) if there is no openable window. • WC - 6l/s with overrun. Alternative rates may be applicable if the ventilation is running continuously.

2. Flues If you wish to install a flue, building regulations apply. You should take into account factors such as ventilation and general safety. Installation should be carried out by a suitably qualified installer. To install a twin flue you will definitely need to apply for planning permission.


3. Drainage The installation of a new or replaced drainage system, should comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations. In some areas, these two systems are combined, whereby both surface water and foul drainage are conveyed by the same drains and sewers. It is advisable not to assume what type of system exists and instead check with the local authority or relevant water authority. Work carried out on either of these systems will need to comply with the Building Regulations.

standards for the safety of electrical appliances but they do require that fixed connections of appliances are safe.

Checking for safety Where the works require a Building Regulations application it should be checked to make sure that it is safe. This checking can be done in either of two ways: • by using an electrician registered with a competent person scheme • or by notifying the building control section of your local authority.

Local Authority Building Control

4. Electricals The Building Regulations set out overall criteria and requirements to ensure electrical safety. Approved Document P provides further practical guidance for undertaking this type of work. You should bear in mind that any electrical work you carry out within your home, garden, garage shed and other storage buildings may need to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations. If you are unsure about whether you are required to comply you may wish to contact your local authorities building regulations department. All electrical work should follow the safety standards in BS 7671 (the ‘wiring regulations’) which can be found on the British Standards Institute (BSI) website. These rules have been introduced to help reduce the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty installations. The Building Regulations only set standards for electrical installation work in relation to dwellings (houses, flats etc). If the work is carried out in industrial or commercial buildings it is covered by the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is responsible for making sure that electrical installation work in these kinds of buildings is safe and if you have any queries about work in these buildings you should contact HSE. The Building Regulations do not restrict who may carry out electrical installation work. If you want to do the work yourself you should make sure that you know what you need to do before starting any works. There are a number of reputable guides that you can use to help you. The Building Regulations do not set Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

You should make a Building Regulations application to Building Control if the electrician you employ to carry out the works is not registered as a competent person under the schemes mentioned below or if you do the work yourself. You should contact your local authority building control department before you start the work. They will explain the requisite procedures to you. It is also best to discuss with Building Control how they wish to inspect and check the works you are carrying out.

Schemes In relation to electrical safety this means that an electrician who is registered by an organisation authorised by the Secretary of State and is able to certify the work carried out is safe, without you having to notify Building Control. Once works are complete the electrician will arrange for you to receive a building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of the completion of the work. Your local authority will then also be notified about the work by the electrician. The competent person should also provide you with a completed Electrical Installation Certificate which shows that the work was tested for safety. It is advisable to ask the electrician to provide information about which scheme they belong to and their membership number. You will then be able check with the organisation to make sure they are registered. Listed below are the organisations which run the competent

MAC Digital

Approved inspector building control An approved inspector is a body which carries out the same functions as local authority building control. If you use an approved inspector they will explain to you how the approved inspector system works. If at the end of the work the approved inspector is satisfied that the work is safe, you will be given a copy of the final notice

Competent Person


EVEN YOUR OWN EQUIPMENT INSTALLED! We are happy to call evenings or weekends to survey your property for a FREE estimate without obligation All installations are left clean and tidy For more information call

07565340352 340352 0845 Email: MAC Digital 20 Wordsworth Avenue, Maldon, Essex CM9 6BZ

LCD,LED/PLASMA wall mounting and cat5 ethernet extensions. 11

For further information and a no obligation quote please contact us at: Elite Electrical Unit C, 1 Copyground Lane, High Wycombe, Bucks. HP12 3HE Tel: 0845 472934

Fax: 0845 8901395


Email: info@

Hazlemere Lighting We have a vast range of interior and exterior lights, shades, ceiling fans, fluorescent tubes as well as specialist and every other type of bulb.



last Hurry while stocks

100w 60w 40w 25w Traditional Bulbs Still Available We have all wattages in clear and opal in different end fitting as well as stocks of candle and golf ball bulbs.

Get them while you can

If you can’t find it here. You won’t find it anywhere Tel: 0845 718 427 OPEN MONDAY -SATURDAY 9am - 5.30pm

Tel: 0845 811597 Mobile: 07992 011189

Electric House, 4 Market Parade, Hazlemere Crossroads, High Wycombe, HP15 7LQ

The Harrogate Stove Company, 1 Montpellier Gardens, Harrogate, HG1 2TF • The Harrogate Stove Company offers high quality, high efficiency wood & multifuel stoves • Nestor Martin, Harmony, Stanford, Hwam & Rika • Full design and consultancy work • Full installation by our own HETAS registered engineers • Fully programmable wood pellet stoves from Rika • Extensive range of accessories including kiln dried wood supplies • Hand carved bespoke stone Fire Surrounds • Gas stoves also available • Extremely competitive installation costsw

T. 0845 504118 Visit our town centre showroom, F. 0845 528400 where we have many models on display M. 07920810149 including working stoves.

Works Certificate which means that they have tested to work to make sure it is safe. If you do the work yourself you may wish to engage a qualified electrician to check it for you. person schemes for electrical installation work: • APHC (Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (certification) Limited) Tel: 02476 470 626, • BSI (British Standards Institution) Tel: 01442 230442, • EC Certification Limited (ELECSA) Tel: 0845 6349043, • NAPIT Certification Limited Tel: 0870 444 1492, • NICEIC Certification Services Ltd. Tel: 0870 013 0382, • CORGI - Tel: 0870 401 2300, • OFTEC - Tel: 0845 65 85 080,

Minor works The Building Regulations allow certain works (known as non-notifiable or minor work) to be carried out without having to notify building control or using a registered electrician. Such work includes: • Replacing any electrical fitting (for example, socket outlets, light fittings, control switches) • Adding a fused spur (which is a socket that has a fuse and a switch that is connected to an appliance eg, heater) to an existing circuit (but not in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors) • Any repair or maintenance work • Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding • Installing cabling at extra low voltage for signalling, cabling or communication purposes (for example, telephone cabling, cabling for fire alarm or burglar alarm systems, or heating control systems). If you are not sure whether the work you want to undertake is notifiable, you should contact your local authority building control department for advice. Minor electrical work can also present a risk to safety. If qualified electricians carry out the work they should give you a Minor 14

Building Control may ask for further details and works depending on the building and circumstances.

5. Doors and windows An external window or door is a “controlled fitting” under the Building Regulations and as a result of this classification these Regulations set out certain standards to be met when such a window or door is replaced. You could use an installer registered with a competent person scheme (BSI, CERTASS or FENSA). A registered installer will be approved to carry out the work to comply with building regulations without involving local authority building control. When work is complete you will receive a certificate showing the work was done by a registered installer. More information about Competent Person Schemes can be found on the CLG website. Alternatively, you could use an unregistered installer or DIY, in which case approval can be sought from the relevant Building Control Body – either at your Local Authority or an Approved Inspector. They will check the replacement window(s) or door(s) for compliance and, if satisfied, issue a certificate of compliance.

Thermal Heat Loss Dwellings are required to be energy efficient. A method of achieving greater energy efficiency is to take steps to reduce the amount of heat that is lost through the glazing in both windows and doors. If you are to install windows and doors you should be aware that they need to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations in relation to the amount of heat that can to pass through the glass and framework, which is measured as a U-Value. This U-value should not be exceeded. For information on the maximum U-Value allowed please refer to Approved Document L-1B, Table 2. For any window that is provided as part of an extension/loft conversion refer to list (a). For an existing dwelling, any replaced or new window, refer to list (b).

• Any glazed area within a window that is 300mm or less from a door and up to 1500mm from floor level • Within any glazed door up to 1500mm from floor level

Ventilation Windows and doors provide ventilation to rooms within a dwelling and rules apply to how much ventilation. The type and extent of ventilation will be dependent on the use and size of the room. For example, rooms where steam will be produced (kitchen’s, bathrooms, utility rooms etc) should be provided with higher levels of ventilation (normally mechanical fans and windows) than other rooms where suitably sized window openings and background (“trickle”) ventilators may suffice.

Fire Safety There are two aspects to be considered: • Fire spread between properties through “unprotected areas” • Means of escape in case of fire

Unprotected areas External doors and windows may need to have fire resistance and (in the case of doors) be self-closing or (in the case of windows) be fixed shut to limit the risk of fire spread between adjacent properties. The area of walls, doors and windows permitted to have reduced or undetermined fire resistance (known as “unprotected areas”) will be dependant on how close these elements are to the boundary.

Means of escape When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces. If the original window that is being replaced was larger than necessary for the purpose of escape, then the new window opening could be reduced down to the minimum as specified in the criteria below. The means of escape should be considered for any new window installed

Safety glazing Safety glazing should be provided to any glass in a critical area. Below is a list giving general view as to when safety glazing is required: • Any glazed area within a window below 800mm from floor level


Pre-build planning service: Visit our brick library at Solihull During Build: Wide selection of all building materials After Build: All internal fixtures fittings including decorating, doors, bathrooms and outdoor landscaping

Pre-build planning service: Visit our brick library at Solihull Old Lode Lane, Solihull, B92 8LJ, 0121 742 1234 Pre-build service: Visit our brick library at Solihull During Build: Wide selection of planning all building materials Also at : After Build: All internal fixtures fittings including decorating, During Build: Wide selection of all building materials Bannerley Road, Garretts Green, 0121 783 3316 Pre-build planning service: Visit our brick library at Solihull doors, bathrooms and outdoor landscaping Aldridge Road, Streetly, 0121 353 3898

decorating, After Build: All internal fixtures fittings including Road, Rubery, 0121 453 7645 During Build: Wide selection of all buildingNewmaterials doors, bathrooms and outdoor landscaping After Build: All internal fixtures fittings including decorating, doors, bathrooms and outdoor landscaping Old Lode Lane, Solihull, B92 8LI, 0845 742 1234

Old Lode Lane, Solihull, B92 8LJ, 0121 742 1234 Also at : Bannerley Road, Garretts Green, 0121 783 3316 Aldridge Road, Streetly, 0121 353 3898 New Road, Rubery, 0121 453 7645


Old Lode Lane, Solihull, B92 8LJ, 0121 742 1234 Recycling & Waste Management Old Lode Lane, Solihull, B92 8LJ, 0121 742 1234 Also at :

Bannerley Road, Garretts Green, 0121 783 3316 Also at : Skips l Recycling Aldridge Road, Streetly, 0121 353783 3898 Bannerley Road, Garretts Green, 0121 3316 Fully7645 Licensed Waste Transfer Station New Road, Aldridge Road,Rubery, Streetly,0121 0121453 353 3898

Scrap Metal l End of Life Vehicles

New Road, Rubery, 0121 453 7645

The Quarry, Ripley Road, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire HG5 9HJ

Tel: 0845 270054

OfďŹ ce: 7 0845 868 77 Mobile: 31 07791 824 7

Superior flooring domestic & commercial

0845 8772 7811

carpets • wood flooring • vinyl flooring • kitchen flooring

bathroom flooring •floor sanding • french polishing 1st Floor,1 Chase Cross Road. Collier Row. Romford, RM5 3JP

Fame Curtains & Blinds

Robin Hood Island, 1567 Stratford Road, Hall Green, Birmingham B28 9JA

Curtains, Poles & Tracks All Types of Blinds Cushions, Bed Throws & Runners Advice, Measuring & Fitting Service Mon - Sat 9.00am - 5.30pm Sunday 10am - 4pm Closed Wednesday

Tel: 0845 745 6202

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

for achieving permeability and meeting the condition for permitted development status.

• it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or

This revised edition replaces the version originally published on 10 September 2008.

• your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or • your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building. to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used as an escape window with an escape window. See below for the general criteria for egress windows: • Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm • Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m² • Cill height - No less than 800mm and no more than 1100mm from floor level. Only one window per room is generally required.

Access to buildings When replacing main entrance doors in a dwelling unit that has been constructed since 1999, it is important to ensure that the threshold remains level otherwise the works will not comply with the Building Regulations as it would be making the threshold worst than it was when constructed. This is to enable a wheelchair user to have continued access to the dwelling.

• the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage. You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate. You will also not need to apply for planning permission to alter or improve an existing fence, wall or gate as long as it meets the criteria above. In a conservation area, however, you might need conservation area consent to take down a fence, wall or gate. You do not need planning permission for hedges as such, though if a planning condition or a covenant restricts planting (for example, on “open plan” estates, or where a driver’s sight line could be blocked) you may need planning permission and/or other consent.

8. Paving

If you are unsure about whether you are required to comply, you may wish to contact your local Building Control body.

From 1 October 2008, the Government will introduce changes to the General Permitted Development Order, making the hard surfacing of more than five square metres of domestic front gardens permitted development only where the surface in question is rendered permeable. Use of traditional materials, such as impermeable concrete, where there was no facility in place to ensure permeability, requires an application for planning permission.

7. Fences, gates and garden walls

The purpose of the guidance is to advise householders of the options

6. Decking Building Regulations should be assumed to apply to every deck structure requiring planning permission.

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

9. Underpinning Underpinning work requires very careful planning and execution. If you propose to underpin an existing foundation, approval under the building regulations will normally be required. Gaining such approval will usually involve the preparation of a structural design of the underpinning, including the process to be carried out during construction. An initial step, before substantial commencement of the work, will generally be for a trial hole to be dug next to the existing footings for a structural engineer or surveyor to make an assessment of the circumstances of the case.

10. Cavity Wall Insulation The installation of cavity wall insulation is specifically defined as notifiable building work in the Building Regulations. This means that for all buildings which are not exempted from the Regulations it will be necessary to submit a building notice to a building control body stating that cavity wall insulation work will be carried out. Most local authorities do not levy a building control charge in respect of such building notices. If installers are registered with The Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency or the BBA Cavity Wall Installer Scheme they will in most cases submit the building notice. In any case building owners should always check that a building notice will be submitted. The Building Regulations require that the insulation material used is suitable for the wall construction concerned. In the case of some foam cavity wall insulating materials an assessment of the risk of the emission of formaldehyde gas will need to be carried out. Local authority building control departments can give more detailed guidance.


Heat Pumps Installation of either a ground source or air source heat pump will have to comply with the Building Regulations. It is advisable to contact an engineer who can provide the necessary advice.

11. Loft Conversion This section provides guidance for making alterations to the loft space of an existing house which is no more than two storeys high. Requirements for alterations to an apartment or other dwellings like maisonettes, or houses over three storeys, will be similar but may be more extensive and possibly extend to other parts of the building. The regulations will be applied to ensure, for example: • the structural strength of the new floor is

sufficient • the stability of the structure (including the existing roof) is not endangered • safe escape from fire • safely designed stairs to the new floor • reasonable sound insulation between the conversion and the rooms below. You may wish to make these alterations to enhance the storage facilities available or to increase the living space of the home. If you plan to make the loft space more accessible or more habitable by, for example, installing a stair to it and improving it by boarding it out and lining the walls / rafters etc, more extensive work is likely to be required and the Building Regulations are likely to apply. It is recommended that you contact Building Control to discuss your proposal and for further advice.

Boarding-out for storage In most homes, the existing timber joists that form the “floor” of the loft space ( i.e. the ceiling of the rooms below) will not have been designed to support a significant weight (known as “load”). The joists tie the pitched members of the roof together to prevent them spreading and support the ceiling lining of the rooms below. An excessive additional load, for example from storage, it may mean that the joists are loaded beyond their design capacity. If you decide to lay flooring boards over the existing joists in the loft space, then this may require a Building Regulations Application to Building Control. Your local Building Control body will be able to advise you on this issue.

Creating a liveable space If you decide to create a liveable space in an existing loft space of a home it is likely to require a range of alterations. Many of these could have an adverse impact on the building and its occupants if they are not properly thought out, planned and undertaken in accordance with the requirements of the legislation. A liveable space is where you intend to use the room as a normal part of your house, this includes spare bedrooms which may be used infrequently.

12. Roofs If you want to carry out repairs on or recover less than 25 per cent of the area of a pitch or flat roof, you will not normally need to submit a building regulations application. You will need approval, however, if: 1. You carry out structural alterations 2. The performance of the new covering will be significantly different to that of the existing covering in the event of a fire 3. You are replacing/ repairing more than 25 per cent of the roof area, in which 18


Peter Jenks

fine joinery and furniture making Call 07991 454003 or 0845 697975

Supplying The Cotwolds with Superb joinery and furniture for 38 years Handcrafted Bookcases, Alcove Units and Wardrobes

Bespoke Staircases, Doors and Windows

Made To Measure To Suit Your Individual Requirements Free Consultation

Please visit our large showroom

Red Rose House, Rough Hey Rd, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 5BR, UK

Tel: 0845 655666 • Fax: 0845 652666 • Email:


Curtains Soft Furnishings Interior Design Wooden Shutter Specialist

New Showroom Now Open

Red Rose Blinds & Interiors - one of the North West's leading window blind, curtain & soft furnishing manufacturers. Red rose blinds & interiors was established in 1987,our family run company supply a fast and friendly service to all our customers both domestic & commercial. We operate a free design consultation / made to measure manufacturing & free installation service from our vastly experienced city & guilds trained teams. We supply and install all types of -

Red Rose House, Unit 17 Rough Hey Road, Grimsargh. (Opp Crematorium off Longridge Road),

Awnings / Canopies / Conservatory Curtains / Perfect Fit / Panel / Roller Roman / Shutters / Solar / Vertical Venetian / Wooden.

• Cheshire Sunblind Company is a small family business established over 30 years ago. • The founder was passionate about his workmanship and took great pride in attention to detail and customer service and these values are stronger today than ever. • We manufacture, supply and install of all types of blinds and curtains and specialise in conservatory blinds. • We work with architects, end users, bulk suppliers and manage commercial contracts with companies such as Seddons and Harry Fairclough. Newsdesk (01702) 477666/474455 • Cheshire Sunblind Company is a registered supplier ADVERTISING to Cheshire County Council. • Lorraine heads up the business and together with Justin personally make all the measurements and visit customers houses and sites to ensure accurate and perfect measurements are always taken Newsdesk (01702) 477666/474455

TIMES SERIES July 12, 2011 45 ADVERTISING 116 Chester Road, Castle, Northwich, Cheshire, CW8 1JH Tel 0845 74318 | Fax 0845 871004 | Email:





s den Need me & Gar o h r u o y AT REAR For all AR PARK RC CUSTOME

Newsdesk (01702) 477666/474455

Newsdesk (01702) 477666/474455 ADVERTISING


DIoY ur

For all y

TIMES SERIES July 12, 2011 45





Newsdesk (01702) 477666/474455




D our home & Gard

y ome K& AT REAR youForrall H AR PAR

RC For all CUSTOME Garden Needs

D our home & Gard

For all y







10% off Call & Quote PA01 for Details

1000s of samples brought to your home ‘ Y��� M����� Flo���n� Sh�� ’ Call Now for your FREE

no obligation visit

0845 857 555 Carpets • Laminate • Vinyls • Wood Best Prices • Friendly Advice • Quality Fitting


M&E Carpets

Carpets & Laminate Flooring Commercial & Domestic

‘10% off for readers of this advert’ • ‘Not applicable on sale prices’ • ‘Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer’

w w w. m a n d e c a r p e t s . c o . u k Tel: 0845 269 980 Mob: 07897 670 892

• Family business - Established 1990 • Huge selection of carpet rolls & remnants • Measuring & Estimating service (local area) • Professional fitting service available • All work guaranteed

Tel: 0845 325797 14 Henry Wells Sq, Hemel Hempstead, Heartfordshire, HP2 6BJ

Mancetter Square, Lincoln Rd,Werrington, Peterborough, PE4 6BX


gardening & property services

All your gardening & property needs in one company Gardening Maintenance Garden Clearances Hard & Soft Landscaping Turfing & Tree Work Fencing & Rubbish Removal Pressure Washing Domestic & Commercial Work Property Repairs FREE Quotes O.A.P. Discounts

Call Darrol Humphries on:

0845 406 7889 or 07792 834480

Andrew Wing Landscapes DESIGN CONSTUCTION & MAINTAINCE ‘Established since 1981’

• Themed & Gravel Gardens • Patios & Drive • Slabbing, Block & Crazy Paving • Decking, Rockeries & Ponds • Property Maintenance Service • Fencing • Brickwork

Telephone: 0845 322163 or Mobile: 07991 744773 Email:’



Local, National, International, Home & Office Moves, Storage Specialists Professional, reliable and courteous service at very competitive rates CALL US FREE

0845 505 3454

required to: •

resist weather

• resist the spread of fire from one property to another • be able to support loads (weights) • provide resistance to heat loss (insulation) • be ventilated to protect from condensation (in most cases) •

have adequate drainage

There are generally two types of roof construction used: case, the roof thermal insulation would normally have to be improved.

Existing roof The removal or alteration to any roof elements could affect how the roof works and cause movement to occur. Movement could cause cracks to occur in the walls and, possibly, the eventual collapse of the roof. When performing work on any roof, care should be taken to ensure the roof will continue to perform effectively and without any movement.

Existing Pitched Roofs

fixed to both sides. • Rafters – These are the timbers that form the main pitch to the roof and support the tiles and battens. • Purlins – These are long pieces of timbers that are normally seen half way along the rafters and act like beams to reduce the span (unsupported length) of the rafters. • Struts – These support the purlins. They are fixed at an angle with one end connected to the purlin and the other on to a load bearing wall or a timber spread across ceiling joists. These are the diagonal timbers seen in the roof.

• Ceiling Joists – These can act as ties, but mainly support the ceiling below. Their sizes are usually relatively small and will not be able to take the load of any typical room used in a house.

Listed below are the typical elements of a pitched roof:

New Roofs

Planning Permission & Building Regulations Information

• Flat roof - This usually consists of felting which has a slight fall to allow rain water to drain off. To enable compliance with the requirements of the Building Regulations to be demonstrated, full details of the new roof will be needed - including materials and their dimensions and performance properties.

• Ties – These are timbers which stop the roof from spreading and form an A-frame shape. They can either be the ceiling joists (as described below) or can be fixed half way up usually above the purlin and are fixed horizontally from front to back. (Common in terraced houses).

The existing roof structure that forms the loft space has a number of timber elements that make the overall pitch. Each element enables the roof to span across the building and support the tiles/covering on top as well as being able to transfer the loads (weight) created by any wind and snow down to the walls.

• Ridge Board – This forms the apex of the roof and is where the rafters are

• Pitch roof - This is where tiles or slates are used and a void is usually created underneath.

There are separate rules for construction of new roofs. A new roof will be 23

Will the Building Regulations apply to the work I want to do? Questions and Answers Q - If I want to build an extension to my home, will the Building Regulations apply? YES - but a porch or conservatory built at ground level and under 30m2 in floor area is exempt provided that the glazing and any fixed electrical installation complies with the applicable requirements of the Building Regulations (i.e. Part N ‘Glazing - safety in relation to impact, opening and cleaning. Your Building Control Service can supply further information on safety glazing and electrical safety. You should not construct a conservatory where it will restrict a ladder access to windows serving a room in the roof or a loft conversion, particularly if any of the windows are intended as a way of facilitating escope or

rescue if there is a fire. Q - If I want to build a garage extension onto my home, will the Building Regulations apply? YES - but a carport extension, open on at least two sides and under 30m2 in floor area, is exempt except that any fixed electrical installation must comply with the electrical safety requirements of the Building Regulations. You should ensure that a carport does not interfere with the proper working of a low-level flue outlet from an oil or gas appliance. Q - If I want to put up a greenhouse or a small detached building such as a garden shed or summerhouse in my garden, will the Building Regulations apply? NO - these buildings will be exempt from

the regulations but only providing any fixed electrical installation complies with the electrical safety requirements of the Building Regulations. Q - If I want to carry out a loft conversion to my home, will the Building Regulations apply? YES - The appropriate requirements of the regulations will be applied so as to ensure, for example: the structural strength of the proposed floor is sufficient; the stability of the structure (including the roof) is not endangered; safe escape from fire safely designed stairs to the new floor; and reasonable sound insulation between the conversion and the rooms below. Q - If I want to convert an integral or attached garage to a dwelling

into habitable use, will the Building Regulations apply? YES - The appropriate requirements of the regulations will be applied so as to ensure that, for example, the existing accommodation is brought up to the standard required for habitable use, including both thermal and sound insulation. Structural alterations to create new window openings and the infilling of the existing garage door opening will need to comply with the appropriate requirements. Q - If I want to replace one or more windows in my home, or any other type of building, will the Building Regulations apply? YES - if you are replacing the whole of the fixed frame and opening parts. If the work is to your


YES - the regulations define this as a ‘material change of use’ and specify the requirements with which, as a result of that change of use, the whole or part of the building must comply (e.g. those concerned with escape and other fire precautions, hygiene, sound insulation, energy conservation, and contaminants including radon). The whole or part of the building may therefore need to be up-graded to make it comply with the specified requirements.


Please feel free to contact any of the businesses featured in this booklet for advice on all matters concerning your application.


Q - If I want to convert my house into flats, will the Building Regulations apply?



home and you employ a FENSA (Fenestration SelfAssessment Scheme) registered installer you will not need to involve a Building Control Service.








Tel: 01253 892899 Fax: 01253 892918 TERRACING


Email: Web:





The Planning Advisory Group is part of the Corporate Design Company (CDC) Limited



Unit 9, Cocker Avenue, Poulton Business Park, Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire, FY6 8JU


Disclaimer: this is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information.


ThePlanningAdvisoryGroup Planning Group


Planning Advisory Group