Aiming for savings of 100 million Senate Properties, Finland
The Granlund Manager solution underpins the management of maintenance on almost 10,000 Senate Properties buildings. It produces information that enables working environments to be developed efficiently, and one target is to realise annual savings of EUR 100 million in costs related to operating premises. Granlund is playing a major role in helping to reach this target. Senate Properties is a state-owned enterprise that partners with the state administration in all matters related to working environments and premises. The enterprise has 9,700 buildings with a combined ﬂoor area of 6.2 million square metres. Risto Rautiola owns the entire Senate Properties’ maintenance process. He is also enterprise’s Regional Director in North Finland. His broad area of responsibility includes real estate management, maintenance, knowledge management related to maintenance, management of energy use and premises services. Senate Properties uses the Granlund Manager real estate management solution to manage maintenance in all of its properties. Granlund Manager functions as a reliable tool for managing real estate and energy use, as well as for steering and monitoring maintenance.
The features also include budgeting and acceptance processes to support the needs of ﬁnancial management and guarantee consistent decision-making. Granlund Manager can be linked directly into several ﬁnancial management systems, enabling project and budget information to ﬂow freely between different systems. Granlund Manager supports Senate Properties’ comprehensive maintenance operating method, which includes identifying maintenance needs and operating as a tool for budgeting, steering and monitoring. The solution helps to illustrate how much money must be set aside for property maintenance and how and where it should be allocated.
Granlund is a reliable partner with strong expertise, a positive attitude to development and good service. Granlund is a good development partner for us. This provides signiﬁcant added value. Mr. Risto Rautiola, Senate Properties, Finland
Joint development for over 20 years Senate Properties and Granlund began collaborating more than 20 years ago. Rautiola has positive things to say about the partnership.
Supporting property maintenance
- Granlund is a reliable partner with strong expertise, a positive attitude to development and good service. Granlund is a good development partner for us. This provides signiﬁcant added value.
Granlund Manager is a key part of Senate Properties’ property maintenance management system. Property maintenance contracts are put out to tender on four-year cycles, property maintenance summary reports are prepared quarterly and sites are audited annually. Senate Properties relies heavily on Granlund Manager for all of this.
- We rely heavily on Granlund Manager for property maintenance. We work together to constantly improve it, Rautiola says.
Tool for budgeting, steering and monitoring maintenance Granlund Manager’s ease of use and versatile features support long-term real estate planning.
In addition to the partners themselves, customers are also deeply involved in the process. It has been made easy for them to submit service requests on the system. The system can then monitor request volumes and service providers’ response times. It can also measure customer satisfaction. Every year there can be up to 44,000 service requests so the process really must operate seamlessly.
We rely heavily on Granlund Manager for property maintenance. We work together to constantly improve it. Mr. Risto Rautiola, Senate Properties, Finland
Senate Properties’ vision is to create environments for modern work. Modern-day working environments must be pleasant for workers while also saving on costs. Senate Properties has the target of realising annual savings of EUR 100 million in premises costs over eight years.
- To a large degree, our operations revolve around managing a service network. If our network is successful then so are we, Rautiola says.
Reliable data on energy consumption Data that can be obtained regarding the conditions in properties and technical functionality plays an important role in improving energy efficiency and optimising energy use.
The sky is the limit for utilising data Rautiola thinks that a major challenge in the future will be making the most of digitalisation.
- Granlund Manager is a good management tool for us. We use it for purposes such as monitoring our overall energy consumption, which is linked to targets set for our organisation and service network. Knowledge management is instrumental in this. Granlund Manager provides us with reliable data on energy consumption, says Rautiola.
- Digitalisation enables operations to be developed so that we can obtain a large amount of data about buildings, such as entirely new types of condition reports. The sky is the limit for utilising data, Rautiola says. Rautiola also raises the idea of virtual real estate, an area where Granlund is making major investments. They involve using a three-dimensional visual model to clearly illustrate what is happening in a property. - There is an opportunity to make a digital breakthrough in this area, says Rautiola.
Good indoor air improves work output - Indoor air quality is a highly signiﬁcant factor. We have begun measuring the indoor air in our buildings using sensors to detect the temperature and quality of indoor air. We can use Granlund Manager to process, classify and produce data, says Rautiola.
Together with Senate Properties, Granlund is also introducing Building Information Modelling (BIM) into the area of property maintenance.
Data produced by the system can be compared with data received from service requests to highlight the difference between the technical reality and what people experience.
Rautiola says that Granlund Manager has opened his eyes to all of the things that could be developed in the future using data produced by the system.
- This then enables us to develop our operations. We receive entirely new types of data that were previously unavailable.
- This is a signiﬁcant step forward, Rautiola believes.
Key customer beneﬁts of Granlund Manager •
Gives visibility and ownership to asset data
Helps to plan and monitor maintenance actions
Reports and optimizes energy consumption
Helps to save costs and energy
Senate Properties, Finland Senate Properties is an enterprise operating under the Ministry of Finance. It partners with the State Administration in all matters related to working environments and premises. Senate Properties’ strategic targets are to create new ways for the state to work and a new approach to the working environment for the entire State Administration, annual savings of EUR 100 million in premises costs for the state over eight years, and operating in a societally responsible way as a trendsetter in the ﬁeld. The enterprise has 9,700 buildings with a combined ﬂoor area of 6.2 million square metres.
Granlund specialises in software services, consultancy and design. At the core of our expertise is energy efficiency. Granlund was established in 1960 and today we have 650 employees, customers in over 30 countries, as well as offices in Finland, China and the UAE. www.granlundmanager.com