was originally a part of Norwich called “Nine miles square,” acquired from the Sachems of the Mohegan Indians in 1659; a portion later became known as the New Concord Society. In the early 1700s this land, west-northwest of the Norwich Town Plot, was opened to additional settlers. The nature of the region, being wild and rugged, presented a challenge to the pioneers. New Concord Society was organized and approved by the General Assembly in 1737. A site was accepted in 1739 for the construction of a meetinghouse, which was erected soon after. In 1786 the members of the New Concord Society, “hereby incorporated into a distinct Town by the name of Bozrah,” and thus became the 86th town in the State of Connecticut, believed to be the only one with this name in the country. The name is of Hebrew origin meaning an enclosure or sheepfold. Local attractions include Bozrah Farmers Market, from July to October, Odetah Camping Resort, and the Acorn Acres Campground.
Bozrah Town Hall: 1 River Road, Bozrah, CT 06334 Phone: (860) 889-2689 Fax: (860) 887-5449 Animal Control: (800) 236-1987 Assessor: (860) 889-2689 x5 Building: (860) 889-2689 x6 Director of Operations: (860) 889-2689 x8 Fire: Bozrah Volunteer Fire Co., 239 Fitchville Road: (860) 887-9474 Library: 264 Hartford Rd, Salem (860) 859-1130 Police: Troop K (860) 537-7500 Registrar of Voters: (860) 889-2689 x7 Senior Center: (860) 383-2290 Selectman’s Office: (860) 889-2689 x1 Tax Collector: (860) 889-2689 x4 Town Clerk: (860) 889-2689 x201
1/8/16 10:10 AM