PRATIBIMB The E- NEWSLETTER, GOVT. DEGREE COLLEGE, PALOURA (2nd ISSUE)
The Valedictory function of 10 days NSS Winter Camp was organized in Govt. Degree College, Paloura City on 14th of January,2012. The programme was presided over by Director Colleges and SLO NSS Prof. (Dr) Muqbil Chisti. Prof. (Dr.) Vishwakaraksha , NSS Programme Co‐ordinator Jammu University also graced the occasion. The Resource persons present on the occasion were Retd. Prof. Uma Sharma, Dr. N.K.Sharma of Naturopathy and Mr.Surinder Gupta from Peetanjali Yogpeeth. NSS Programme Officer of the college Asstt. Prof. Nisha Bhagat presented a report of the 10 days NSS Winter camp from 26th of Dec. 2011 to 5th of Jan. 2012 wherein different activities were held like workshops on Rangoli making, poster making, Art of Living, Lecture on Naturopathy, Yoga, Pranayama and Nutritional Value of food. Towards the culmination of NSS Winter Camp plantation of medicinal plants in the college campus was carried out. Director Colleges and SLO NSS Prof. (Dr.) Muqbil Chisti eulogized the Principal of the college Prof.(Dr) Hemla Aggarwal for her dedication and consistent efforts towards college development. She encouraged the students to join NSS so that they can contribute towards Nation Building.
Dr. Vishwaraksha, NSS Programme Coordinator, Jammu University also spoke on the occasion. She complimented the NSS Prog. Officer and NSS volunteers for the successful completion of NSS Winter Camp and asked them to share their information with others. Towards the end of the programme certificates were distributed to the NSS volunteers by Director Colleges and SLO NSS Prof. (Dr.) Muqbil Chisti. Momentoes were also presented to the distinguished guests and the Resource persons. The proceedings of the programme were conducted by Dr. Geetanjli Rajput, Head, Dept. of English.
1. On the eve of Republic Day Celebrations a Patriotic song Competition was held in GDC Paloura on 25th of January 2012.The programme was presided over by the Principal Prof. (Dr.) Hemla Aggarwal. A group song by Gigmat, Stanzin and Disket of B.A Part-I and solo song by Meenakshi of B.A Part-III were considered the best out of the various performances by the students of our college.
The Principal of the college Prof. (Dr. Hemla Aggrawal) distributed prizes among the winners and appreciated their participation. 2. January 30th 2012 VICHAR KRANTI MANCH (INT.) in collaboration with Govt. Degree College, Paloura organized an inter‐college debate competition on the Topic “In the era of Globalization only on Moral and Ethical values make a perfect human being” . Prof. Y. R. Malhotra formerly Vice‐chancellor, University of Jammu was the Chief Guest on the occasion, Prof. R. D. Sharma, Dean Academic Affairs, University of Jammu presided over the function. Earlier Prof. Dr. Hemla Aggarwal Principal Govt. Degree College Paloura welcomed the chief guest and other dignitaries. Dr. Usha Tickoo Secretary V.K.M.I. highlighted the activities of the organization. At least 16 Colleges participated in the debate competition. Prof. Zahoor‐Ud‐din, Prof. Chanchla Dogra and Prof. H. K. Kapoor were the adjudicators in the debating competition. Prof. Y. R. Malhotra, in his address, expressed his concern over declining Moral and Ethical values. He said that such debates will help in a long way to inculcate such values in all sections of the society through mental revolution.
Miss Khushboo Saraf of Govt. Science College, Jammu got the first
prize while as Rakshit Sharma of Govt. Science College, Jammu and Tania Jamwal from Sai Shyam College of Education, Jammu got 2nd and 3rd prizes respectively. Sania Gupta and Anita Kumari from N.S.M College and Harneet Kour from Govt. College of Engineering and Technology got the consolation prizes. The prizes given to the participants were sponsored by Sai Shyam College of Education. Prof
R. P. Sharma presented vote of thanks to the dignitaries and participants of the different colleges. Prof. Nidhi Koul anchored the programme.
3. 28‐01‐2012 GDC, Paloura organized an interactive seminar on “Promotion of Science through Media” in collaboration with J&K Students’ Welfare Society, Anantnag and Indian Science Congress Association Jammu Chapter. Prof. R.D. Sharma, Dean Academic Affairs, University of Jammu was the chairperson on the occasion while Sanjeet Khajuria, News Editor, DD News Jammu, Balram Saini, Bureau Chief Punjab Kesari and Mohit Kandhari, Special Correspondent, The Pioneer were the resource persons on the occasion. The students from seven different city colleges participated in the seminar. Principal of the college Prof. (Dr.) Hemla Aggarwal, in her welcome address, stressed upon the need for the coordination of media with the promotion of advancements of science and technology. She also highlighted the importance of organizing this seminar which aims at encouraging intelligent debate on this particular issue.
Sanjeet Khajuria, News Editor, DD News Jammu, talked of the need of reaching out to the grass root level by planning simple scientific programmes to educate the local masses. He also highlighted that now a days political arena is overpowering all the media columns which is hampering the growth of other issues like science and technology. Balram Saini, Bureau Chief, Punjab Kesari, in his address stressed that the programmes on science should be made more spicy and simple to attract maximum audience. Mohit Kandhari, Special Correspondent, The Pioneer, emphasized on the promotion of ideas to bring out the change. He pointed out that media is purely a science which is completely based on research work. He further stressed on encouraging science festivals in our state to promote and develop scientific temperament among the general masses. Prof. R.D. Sharma, Dean Academic Affairs, University of Jammu presented the concluding remarks wherein he congratulated the Principal of the college and other organizers for holding such kind of interactive seminars.
Shabir Ahmed Shabir, Secretary, J&K Students’ Welfare Society, Anantnag presented vote of thanks. The proceedings of the programme were conducted by Prof. Nisha Bhagat. 4. A one day workshop on “ Education of Persons with special needs” College, Paloura on 2nd on Feb.2012. The programme was presided over by the Principal Prof. Dr. Hemla Aggarwal. The Chief Guest on the occasion was Dr. Ashwani Jojra, President Sahyog India. Dr. D. R. Kapoor , Chairman Sahyog India, also graced the occasion. In his inaugural address, Dr. Jojra recounted the efforts made by Sahyog India. He explained the provisions of the disability certificate, its utility and problems in getting it despite all the facilities provided by the state Government.
The resource persons on the occasion were Prof. Rajinder Praveen from MIER College and Sh. Joginder Chattarpal, President Viklang Chattr Trust . Prof. Rajinder Praveen told the students about the types of children with special needs and
educational provisions like residential schools, integrated education etc. made by the Government to facilitate their achievements and retentions. Sh. Joginder Chattarpal shared his personal experiences with the students and also suggested the students to organize programmes for their development instead of charity. Dr. D.R. Kapoor, in the end, appreciated the efforts made by GDC, Paloura for organizing this kind of event and also, in his concluding remark, praised the presentation made by Prof. Rajinder Praveen and Sh. Joginder Chattarpal The welcome address was presented by Associate Prof. B. B. Anand. The proceedings of the programme were conducted by Asstt. Prof. Harmanmeet Kour. 5. An Extension lecture on “Gender Sensitization” was organized by the Women Development Cell & Equal opportunity Cell of the College.
6. 8‐02‐2012: Bhajan Sandhaya was organized in collaboration with Gandhian Studies Centre Jammu University.
7. GDC, Paloura organized two days’ National Seminar on “Gandhi and World Peace” in collaboration with Gandhian Studies Centre, University of Jammu at Brigadier for Higher Education, Jenab Abdul Gani Malik inaugurated the seminar. Resource persons from various states of the country and abroad attended the seminar. At the outset Prof. (Dr.) Hemla Aggarwal, Principal of the college welcomed the guests and apprised about the objective of organizing the seminar. Jenab Abdul Gani Malik also released the Newsletter of the college and souvenir of the seminar on the occasion. He said that Gandhiji was a leader of the masses who preached lesson of tolerance and equality. He further added that Gandhiji lived a simple life but was a man of high thinking stature. Prof. Muqbil Chisti, Director Colleges paid rich tributes to Mahatma Gandhi stressing that it is the need of the hour to teach younger generations the lesson of non‐violence cherished by great leader Gandhiji. Principals from various colleges, faculty and officers from the University of Jammu were among the dignatories present in the function. As
many as 15 experts, professors, scholars which included 3 Iranian scholars from Chandigarh University participated in the seminar. A total of 30 papers were presented in the seminar.
A Ghazal Night was organized by the college in the Rajinder Singh Auditorium of Jammu University wherein Prof. M.P.S. Ishar, Vice‐Chancellor, University of Jammu and his wife Mrs. Linda Singh Ishar was the Guest of Honour. A renowned singer of Jammu city, Mr. Jeevan Sharma along with six talented artists gave the scintillating performance.
In the valedictory function, Prof. Anurag Gangal, Director of Gandhian Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Jammu welcomed the guests. Dr. S.S. Bloeria, Vice‐Chancellor, Central University, Jammu was the chief guest on the occasion. He said that Non‐Violence and truth are the two principles to solve all problems and challenges of the world. Prof. R.D. Sharma presided over the function. Prof. Savita Singh, Honorary Prof. of Political Science, IGNOU and former Director of Gandhi Samiti and Darshan Samiti presented the valedictory note. Prof. B.B. Anand was the Organizing Secretary of the seminar. Prof. (Dr.) Hemla Aggarwal presented vote of thanks.
8. A programme was organized by Govt. Degree College, Paloura in collaboration with ASHA (Ayurvedic Society for Health Awareness) on 9th of March, 2012. The programme was presided over by the Principal Dr. Hemla Aggarwal. Distinguished guests present at the occasion were Dr. H. N. Patwari President ASHA, Shri Vikram Gour, Secretary General ASHA, Dr. T. R. Gupta, Shri B. M. Kohli, S. Jagjeet Singh Retd. Suptd. Engineer, Dr. Satya Gupta,President ALL India Ayurvedic Congress, J & K chapter and Dr. Chanchal Dogra, Retd. Principal.
There was an interactive session with the students followed by plantation of medicinal plants like Neem, Reetha, etc. in the college premises. 9. A function was organized by Jammu Consumers Council in collaboration with Govt. Degree College, Paloura at the college on 17th of March, 2012 to celebrate World Consumer Rights Day. Minister for Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution, Qamar Ali Akhoon said that the govt. is making all out efforts to ensure implementation of Consumer Protection Act in letter and spirit so that the rights of the consumers are safeguarded, adding that protecting rights of consumers is of paramount importance to the govt.. He further said that eight District level Consumer Foras, four each in Jammu and Kashmir divisions are being set up shortly. Among the others, former DG of Police, Mr. M.M. Khajuria also delivered a keynote address, Director CAPD, Jammu, Parvaiz Ahmad Malik, Principal, GDC Paloura, Prof. Hemla Aggarwal, General Secretary, JCC, Jatinder Bakshi, President Consumer Forum, Jammu, Vikram Ghour, Assistant Director, CAPD, Chander Prakash, members of the civil society, faculty members of the college,
SPORTS ACHIEVEMENTS 1. Mr. Nitish Bakshi of B.A.Part‐II participated in Inter‐Collegiate Athletic Competition organized by University of Jammu w.e.f. 15‐17th of Feb., 2012 and got Silver Medal in 200 metre race.
TEACHERS’ ACHIEVEMENTS PROF. ANURADHA CHOWDHARY (HEAD, DEPT. OF HISTORY) 1. Attended Refresher Course on Social Sciences w.e.f. 6‐26th of March, 2012 organized by Academic Staff College, University of Jammu DR. GEETANJLI RAJPUT (HEAD, DEPT. OF ENGLISH) 1. Presented paper on “Impact of Globalization on Indian Women with special reference to J & K” on 18th of Feb., 2012 organized by Centre for Women Studies, G.G.M. Science College, Jammu.
2. Attended two days’ National Seminar on “Gandhi and World Peace” organized by GDC, Paloura in collaboration with Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies, University of Jammu w.e.f. 27‐28th of Feb., 2012. 3. Presented Paper on “Constructing Knowledge Societies through Open‐Learning” on 10th of March, 2012 in the National Seminar organized by Dept. of Life‐Long Learning, University of Jammu. DR. DAVINDER KOUR (HEAD, DEPT. OF EDUCATION) 1. Published a book entitled “Psychological Foundations of Education” Edition‐2011. ISBN‐978‐93‐81052‐92‐1 2. Presented a paper on “Green Earth” at the one‐day Conference on 11‐02‐2012 organized by GDC, Parade. 3. Presented a paper at the International Seminar on 26‐02‐2012 on “Global Warming” organized by GDC, Boys, Udhampur. 4. Attended two days’ National Seminar on “Gandhi and World Peace” organized by GDC, Paloura in collaboration with Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies, University of Jammu w.e.f. 27‐28th of Feb., 2012. 5. Presented a paper on “Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation” in National Seminar organized by the Dept. of Education, University of Jammu on 28‐03‐2011. ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
college magazine for GDC Paloura