Dear Grade 8 Students and Families,
I hope you are enjoying your summer and looking forward to starting your experience at Garibaldi. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some information about school start up for grade 8 students. 1. On Tuesday August 28th at 9 am, we will host a welcoming event for our incoming grade 8 students. Additionally, at this time, grade 8 students will be able to pick up their timetable, pay their fees, get their lockers, and collect their textbooks. Please see #4 below regarding school fees. Students who are unable to attend on this day can also come to the school on August 31st between 9-11 to pay their fees, get their locker, pick-up their timetable and collect their textbooks. 2. The first day of school, Tuesday September 4th, will be a short day. The schedule for students is as follows: 9:30 am 10:00 am - 11:00 am 11:00 am
Advisory School Wide Assembly Dismissal
3. For the remainder of the first week of school, from Wednesday, September 5th - Friday, September 7th, the block order will be Advisory-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H every day, allowing students to meet with each of their teachers. Classes will be shortened to allow students to attend all eight blocks each day, but daily start and end times will be the same as the normal bell schedule, with the warning bell at 8:25 am and dismissal at 2:40 pm.
4. While course fees are no longer charged, there are still applicable fees collected during the first week of school. The following fees apply: Lock purchase (2 recommended â€“ one for gym locker) $7. each Student fee $24. Grade 8 Planner $7. Towel fee $10. (optional) Yearbook (optional) $50. Other fees â€“ are possible throughout the year if students wish to upgrade a project. Please bring the completed fee sheet, which will be mailed to you at the end of August, with your payment on August 28th.
5. Supplies for each course will be outlined by the subject teachers. All students require binders, paper, pens, pencils and gym strip for the first week of school.
6. Cafeteria service is not available during the first week of school.
7. Four exciting opportunities for parents to connect with the school will be offered during the month of September. Our first PAC meeting of the year will be on September 19th at 7 pm. This is a great opportunity for parents to work with the school as we move to the future. Next, on September 20th, also at 7 pm, we will be hosting a Back to School Night for Parents. We will provide strategies for tracking your childâ€™s progress, information on accessing resources at school, and tips for managing your childâ€™s online activities. Then, on September 27th at 7 pm, we will be hosting a Student Support Services Back to School Night. This meeting is for any parent of a student receiving assistance from our Student Support Services department. At this meeting, we will discuss the Individual Education Plan, suggestions for communicating with teachers, and share more important information. Finally, we will host a meeting for Aboriginal Education students and parents on October 4th at 7 pm to discuss resources available at the school and in the district.
I look forward to continue to build a community of care for our students and I look forward to getting to know our new students. Please feel free to contact me at the school if you have any questions.
Mr. Frend Principal
Published on Jul 2, 2012