lifestyle magazine ISSUE 07
8 Actions To Boost Your
New Year’s Resolution
Relationship Problems & How To Fix Them
The Perfect Gift
Launched in Accra:
For a Fashionista
Startup Business Mistakes To Avoid
Fusion Ultimate Hang Out Guide
BUSINESS EVENTS BEAUTY FASHION HEALTH INSPIRATION ENTERTAINMENT EDUCATION 1
Welcome to shisha lounge Ghanaâ€™s First Apartment Hotel A luxury complex of 24 Apartments classically furnished and has two bedrooms, spacious sitting room and a kitcheneette The Picasso restaurant will delight you with our Spanish, Italian, Continental and Ghanaian cuisine. lunch meetings and parties can be held here. For jazz loving people, Kwekuâ€™s bar is a cozy, classic and intimate environment where you can enjoy your cool jazz music whiles you wind down. Dodge the traffic, relax and enjoy our live band this and every wednesday, friday and saturday by the swimming pool.
+233 +233 30 30 277 1712 762 942
From the EDITOR
CONTENT 09 12 : Selina Beb 14 Event Launched 16 22 25 Beauty Tips: 26 Fighting The Flaws
Why Every Business Should Be Using Social Media Marketing 10 Mistakes You Are Likely To Make When Starting A Business The Perfect Gift
Hang Out Guide
11 Actions To Boost Your Self Confidence
: JIVE 27 Event (Poetry Bar) 28 31 Talk By Vasty : Feminine Care 33 Girl Tips with 35 Culinary Ethel :Cup Cakes 38 Directory
10 Big Problems In A Relationship & How To Fix Them
Diet & Weight Loss
11 Actions To Boost Your
New Year’s Resolution
Relationship Problems & How To Fix Them
The Perfect Gift
Most often, we promise ourselves to lose weight, the famous new year’s resolution for most adults. But we never achieve it. Wellness nutrition walks us through our journey with weight loss tips.
This edition features designs from Details by Neyomi, AfroMod Trends, Afrochic just to mention a few. Selina Beb Launched in Accra and Fusion Magazine was there to capture the moment. Our team spent a lot of time going round Accra in search of places where our cherished readers can have fun with family and friends. The holiday season calls for gifts and the best gift for a fashionista is…… (Check it out)
The fusion team wishes you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Wishing you God’s blessings and happiness in the coming year. Embrace 2014 with joy.
fusion ISSUE 07
Happy holidays. It’s amazing how time flies. It seems like just yesterday, we began the year. The fusion team is honored to present to you the 7th edition. I would like to thank the entire fusion team, family and friends for their support. We started this year hopeful of many things and we are glad we were able to accomplish most of them.
Weight Loss Launched in Accra
For a Fashionista
Startup Business Mistakes To Avoid
Fusion Ultimate Hang Out Guide
BUSINESS EVENTS BEAUTY FASHION HEALTH INSPIRATION ENTERTAINMENT EDUCATION
Publishers Fusion Production Editor Melissa E. Ahadzi Co – Editor Mic Yamoah Marketing & Production Roland N.D Addy Design & Layout Fusion Production
Cover Model: Vivian S. Bilson Make-up:Paint me beautiful by Akai Designer: Details by Neyomi Photographer :RQV Studio
Contributors Vasty Klutse klenam Fiadzoe To advertise call 0208720326 | 0243442286
7686_Nederburg Awards_A1.indd 1
7686_Nederburg Awards_A1.indd 1
7686_Nederburg Awards_A1.indd 1
7686_Nederburg Awards_A1.indd 1
2012/10/29 4:54 PM
2012/10/29 4:54 PM
A Web & Mobile Company
your partner for digital growth
your partner for
Consult your partner for digital growth
your partner for digital growth
Business Should Be Using
ou may have heard a lot of buzz about social media marketing lately, but do you know what it is? Many companies are now using it to promote their products and services, and therefore are building a stronger and larger business. With the popularity of any social media site today, by not using this type of marketing you are making your company look behind and un-knowledgeable. What exactly is Social Media Marketing?
This type of marketing uses the various social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and Instagram to promote companies and their products or services. These sites can be used to keep your company up-to-date on what everyone is interested in and what is trending. This is a great way to find more potential customers and to keep in contact with them. The better you know what they are looking for and the more you keep in contact, the larger your following of people who trust you and your company. This therefore creates more customers, and ones who will most likely give you repeat service. Blogs can also be used to give information that potential customers are looking for, whether they be small tutorials or information on how to find something. If you keep your viewers' interest and give them something for free, like useful information, they will be more likely to buy your products or services. Some Benefits of Social Media Marketing
Besides establishing a trusting relationship with your customers and potential customers, there are a host of other benefits to this type of marketing. One of the biggest benefits is establishing awareness for your brand. Since so many people frequent these social media sites, you will be able to spread your company's name and brand around to a lot of people all at once. Keep it interesting and lighthearted to help attract more people. Make sure you are keeping your information up-to-date and keeping in contact with your viewers to keep your reputation high.
Social Media Marketing
Using social media also allows you to check out your competition and see what they are doing to attract new customers. You can see what kind of deals they are offering, and therefore offer your customers something better.
Since you can keep in touch with your audience on a regular basis through these sites, it is the perfect opportunity to be pitching your products or services in a more down to earth way. Involve people by asking them questions about what they would like to see you carry or for improvements, but remember that you should be ready for any constructive criticism, and never start an argument with a customer, whether you agree with their comments or not. Stay Involved
By combining all the aspects of the different social sites, you can stay very involved in every area of your business. Blogging about things that you are knowledgeable in will let people know that you are a go-to for that particular area and you can also connect with other professionals through the various networks, even across the globe. Plus, you can re-connect with old college friends and family members who are out-of-town and build your contacts even more this way. There is no other source like the social media sites where you can easily do this in business. With these social media sites, you can even find jobs or post your resume if this is what you choose. There are always new jobs being posted on sites such as LinkedIn and Twitter with the information you need to apply.
There are really no good reasons in today's business world why you shouldn't use the benefits of social media marketing. You have so much to gain and would be losing out on a lot of opportunities to grow your business if you don't start taking advantage of them.
Learn what Social Media Marketing, is, and what the benefits of it are. Taking advantage of the social media sites is one of the best ways to better your business by expanding and gaining new customers.
Swiis Watch Ghana Ltd Flaunt your image Gucci, Breitling, Richard mille, Roger dubuis, Movado, Rado, Cartier, Tissot, Frank Muller, Bvgari, Piaget, Vachero Constatin, Tag, Guess, Channel, Michael koors, Fossil Mont blanc. PRODUCT: HACKET, POLOS AND WATCHES
OPP. FIRE SERVICE, BESIDE HONEY SUCKLE REST. RING ROAD EAST,ACCRA, GHANA. CONTACT: 233-266277827 | 0244625365
Daffodils Unisex Clothiers de - nova plaza ,tema comm.10 opp the joint church Tel: 050 942 7063 | 024 925 4614 | 0244370217
you are likely to make when Starting a
re you thinking about starting a business? Well if you are, make sure you avoid these mistakes or else your business is probably going to fail.
1. Slow and steady doesn’t win the race Most new business fail because they don’t have enough money. If you move slowly, it will take that much longer before you make hit the gold mine. And even if you are already bringing in some cash, that’s not enough…, you have to be profitable. Time isn’t on your side, so do whatever you can to get your business out there and making money. And I know you probably don’t want to cut any corners, but the reality is, you’ll have to cut a lot of corners to survive.
2. Don’t hire too quickly Doesn’t it sound nice to kick back, relax, and just watch all your employees do all the work for you while the money rolls in? You know you want to do this, so how do you make this dream come true? Well, it isn’t by hiring people right away. When you are first starting out you are going to have to do more work than you’ll want to. Hiring is a great idea, but if you don’t understand what the employees job duties are, how they are going to accomplish their tasks, and what roadblocks they are going to face, you’ll just end up hiring employees that don’t meet your expectations. Before you hire someone for a new position in your company, make sure you first put yourself in their shoes. Once you understand what they are going to go through, you can then hire someone. 3. Emotions and business don’t mix Let’s face it, you think with your emotions whether you like it or not. And don’t worry, it’s not just you, we all do it. You are going to have to train yourself to make decisions based off of logic. Even if your emotions are telling you to do something else, you need to make the logical decision. Emotions don’t mix well with business because they cause you to do whatever will fix your hurt feelings instead of whatever is the best for the business. 4. It doesn’t matter what you want, it’s what the customer 12
wants Do you have a cool idea for your new business? Maybe it’s a revolutionary product that is going to change the world, or better yet maybe it’s something that you dreamed about creating since you were a child. I hate to say it, but it doesn’t matter what you want. You should only be doing what your customers want, as they are the ones who are paying you. So before you invest too much time and money into a cool idea, find out if your customers really want it. You can do it through surveying them and by trying to understand the problems they are facing.
5. There’s nothing wrong with being in the trenches Being CEO sounds sexy, but it really isn’t. Being a CEO doesn’t mean that you get to boss people around and tell them what they have to do. It means that you are responsible for the company’s wellbeing. And the only way you can ensure that the company is going to do well, when you first start out, is by being in the trenches. You should be taking with customers, understanding their pain points with your product/service, and even deal with customer service issues. By being in the trenches, you’ll be able to determine what steps your business needs to take to hit profitability. 6. Money doesn’t grow on trees I know, it technically does grow on trees, but you know what I mean. Because capital is the one thing that new businesses lack the most, you have to be cautious with your spending. Save every penny you can because you never know when you are going to need it. This may mean that you have to pay employees less than they need to survive, or bargain down your supplier’s prices, even though your supplier is your best friend. Do whatever you can to save a buck. And don’t be shy, because if you never ask you’ll never receive.
7. The best partner is a business partner There is only so much you can do on your own. And when you are starting out, you won’t have a ton of cash to hire
employees. So how do you get work done without paying people? You find a business partner! A business partner will not only work harder than most of your employees, but it won’t cost you a dime to get them… well other than equity in your business. And if you don’t think having a co-founder is worth it, just for a second think of some of the big companies out there. Now think about whom the company was founded by? The chances are, there were at least 2 co-founders.
8. Stop thinking about tomorrow One big problem that you’ll run into is that you’ll continue to plan for the future. And although it is typically wise to be prepared, as a new company, there isn’t enough time for you to be thinking about next year, next month, or even tomorrow. Every day, you should just be working on things that are going to help make the company more profitable. And that’s it! Don’t waste your time planning for the future. All that matters is that your company has enough cash to survive, and if you don’t work on achieving profitability, you’re going to be closing down your doors.
9. There’s nothing wrong with asking for help You’re not a jack-of-all-trades. No one is! You’ll always have questions and hopefully you’ll always be learning how to solve them. So in the meantime, when you are looking for solutions for your questions, make sure you ask other entrepreneurs. There is nothing wrong with having a few mentors
that you can rely on for advice. The best part about it is that most mentors will do this for free… it’s their way of giving back to the entrepreneur community. So go out there and look for a mentor, because if you think you already have all the answers you need, you’ll be in for a treat.
10. All work and no play will make you a dull boy If all you are doing is working, you’ll end up getting burned out. You need to take a break and have some fun so that way when you go back in work, you’ll be productive. And having some fun doesn’t mean that you have to go to an amusement park. It could be spending time with your family or friends… or better, it could be going to networking events. Networking events are a great place to meet other entrepreneurs, gain some free advice, and maybe you’ll even end up closing some business deals at these events. The bottom line Don’t expect miracles with your first business. No matter what, you’ll make some mistakes, but the key to success lies within learning from your mistakes. Don’t be afraid of the unknown! We all make mistakes, but what separates the great entrepreneurs from the mediocre ones is that the great ones don’t repeat the same mistakes. So what other business mistakes do you think people make when starting a business?
SELINA BEB FASHION LINE & STORE
igh end African fabric inspired fashion label, Selina Beb was launched on the 1st October, 2013 with a fashion show which showcased amazing creativity. Attended by the press and some invited guests, the launch saw the introduction of the label’s 2013 collection of bags, shoes and jewellery which dazzled the audience.
The brand’s outlet which is located at Osu, right opposite Look and Pick light shop on the Photo Club road and near Radio XYZ, was also outdoored during the launch. The event was hosted by Joy FMs Nathaniel Attoh with a musical performance by Okyeame Kwame.
Established in 2012 and drawing on the personality of the creator of the label, Selina Bebaako- Mensah who is committed to quality and high standards, SELINA BEB is a high end fashion label that is committed to creating quality fashion products for its clientele. Its range of bags made from quality leather fused with African print is compared to none in the Ghanaian fashion space and doesn’t last on the shelves when completed. Selina Beb recently introduced its range of quality beads, Shoes and Male slippers pending its entry into the clothing category. Some of SELINA BEB’s popular clients include, Kaakie, Caroline and Okyeame Kwame who regu larly rock the Selina Beb beads. The launch of the store is the latest in the fashion label’s attempt to make it’s quality products accessible to its Ghanaian clientele. 14
...real designs for real people...
Location: Osu, 244/2 Abebresem street, 2 buildings before radio XYZ & right under Nice Nails T:+233 54 345 9000 | +233 20 886 8652 : email@example.com : selinabeb : @selinabeb : selinabeb 15
Fidaus Houses stylish clothes for both men and women. Pop into our shop locates on the trade fair road and shop at a very affordable price. Call : 0244757880.
Chic Accessories Designers of wellcrafted jewellery inspired from art and architecture. Contact us on 0279081210 www.facebook.com/chicbysiba
Mystique designers of African inspired slippers, clutches, and bags call us on 0244 889225.Located at east legon, next to DNR Turkish restaurant. www.facebook.com/ mystiqueclothing . Instagram @mystiqueclothing
9twenty5 are designers of statement jewellery that reflects your true personality located at sakumono,9twenty5 stocks elegant jewellery with wide range of which you will find a piece for your loved one. www.9twenty5.com
Kayobi Inspired African apparel and accessories created to tell the African story. Located at east legon.,next to DNR Turkish restaurant. Call 0208098569. www.kayobiclothing.com
Selina beb is fast becoming a house hold name. Located in osu, selina stocks African print bags, shoes and accessories. Contact us on 0543459000 / 0208868652. www.facebook.com/SelinaBeb
n s cretory. ext to t. Call
ing a ed in osu, nt bags, Contact us 8868652. linaBeb
A high fashion trend that appeals to the affluent. Our Afrisymbolic designs ranges from 100% silk woven neck ties, cufflinks and pocket squares for the SPECIAL MAN Call 0244227686 email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.facebook.com/divinitiwear
Looking for that sexy lingerie for her? Visit essential located in OSU koala down near hot gossip indulge in retail therapy. Also in stock are clothes, shoes and accessories. Call us on 0208161723
It always seems like there is an occasion for a gift, whether it’s a holiday, a graduation, a birthday or an anniversary. Looking for a gift for your boss or for that special person? These affordable but awesome gift ideas are guaranteed. Contact them NOW to place an order or visit their shops.
Unlike anything else, Monarki’s dazzling Christian t-shirt brand, inspired by the Bible, Art, Music and Film, will gear you up to make that bold, uncompromising statement of your faith and lifestyle. Take a pick, for only GH¢22 each, from their exciting and edgier new campaign, ‘The King and I’, from their shop at the Osu Forico Mall, off Oxford Street (on the Papaye to Blue Gate lane). They make the most perfect gifts this holiday season. Call them now on 0266245235 / 0549718965
www.facebook.com/MonarkiGhana Time piece, Ghana’s largest retailer of watches offering a wide range of collection of designer watches call us on 020 2022903 | 0202022903. Visit our shop at Adoma Plaza, East Legon adjacent to the American House and in the same building with the X-Men grooming bar.
compliments are always in fashion
Visit our shop in Osu or East - Legon | 020 015 8696 | www.afrochiconline.com
0266500721 | 0264890374 Email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook :www.facebook.com/YedeBeads
YedeBeads is a jewelry brand based in Ghana that deals in finely handcrafted African beaded accessories. Our exclusively crafted pieces exude exquisiteness & sophistication, set to satisfy the needs of any lover of aesthetics. The brand prides itself on excellent craftsmanship & an uncompromising zeal on quality.
Ohenewa health shop Beauty products | Personal Care Products | Herbs | Diet & Fitness Tel: 028 910 7377 | Loc : Comm 19 lashibi, Tema, off the abattoir rd.
Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday: 8am - 8pm | Closed on Sundays & Holidays
Details By Neyomi Location : East Legon Contacts : +233 246 896426 +233 244 155515
1. Tapas Toros Quintessentially spanish, Toro Tapas restaurant is located at Afrikiko Leisure Centre.Enjoy our happy hour from mondays to fridays from 4pm to 7pm.(get 2 drinks for the price of 1). Our executive lunch package for only gh ¢ 35 includes 3 tapas and a drink.. To book,call 020261001 or 0302 264444
2. Rhapsopy’s Rhapsodys offers a natural ambiance which is lively yet effortless, simple yet delicious, stylish yet relaxed. Elegant decor and an extensive array of superior wines form part of the perfect backdrop for our superb culinary flair.Visit us at the Accra Mall.
3. Luscious Temptation Located in a serene environment in A&C shopping mall, luscious temptation is the perfect place to ease off stress after a long day. The fusion of Italian and continental menu are thoughtfully tailored to tempt your tongue which include delicious dishes & vegetarian options..
4. The Lexington The Lexington is located in the Paloma Hotel complex.it specialises in cocktail, but also does delicious food including breakfast. A dance floor and separate bar create a fun atmosphere in our Play Room. DJs provide dance tunes at night. Hidden doors make it possible to close off the space for private parties and events to host up to 80 people. Bring your friends and have a Play Date in our Play Room. 5. Hush Lounge Hush lounge located in Labone (coffee shop ) is a cozy lounge.A perfect lounge bar, house of great parties,soothing music, live shows and a well stocked bar. Hush lounge is opened from mondays to sundays 6pm till late.Follow us on twitter @hushloungegh
6. Silverbird Cinemas Catch the latest movies, in a very nice modern theatre. The theatre is located on the second floor above the food court at the Accra mall. Silverbird is Ghana’s first ever Cineplex of five theatres fully equipped to international standards, with Dolby digital surround sound. Sweet or salty popcorn and drinks available. Check their website or social network page for latest programme. 22
Hangouts in Accra
From sun up to sun down, here are 10 of Accra’s popular hangouts, from golf course to nite life, Accra has it all. If you are planning on having fun with family and friends this holiday season,these places are on the top of our list. 7. Marvels Mini Golf Course There’s no better way to spend your free time than a fun, relaxing game of mini golf. Of course we‘re biased, so don’t take our word for it. Come and see for yourself. Locate us on Forest Avenue, Abelenkpe traffic light. Call us on 0302 925400 or0302 771337. Opening hours, Monday to Friday 6:30a, - 10pm Saturdays and Sundays 10am to 10pm
8. Honey Suckle Noted for its tasty fried yam and chicken wings, Honey suckle is located opposite the fire service head office, osu, catch live matches over a glass cocktail or beer or enjoy a game of pool .The classic Juke box is also available.Daily happy hour from 5am to 7pm (half price on alcoholic ) 9. Firefly From the beating heart of downtown Accra, the Firefly Lounge Bar invites and welcomes all those in search of a unique dining and nightlife experience. Whether it is a quiet date, an intimate gathering, or the next place to party it up, Firefly is here and committed to your satisfaction for a great time well spent.
10. Villa Monticello : Live On The Terrace Live on the Terrace is a weekly series presented staged every Tuesday night at the Terrace Bar of the boutique hotel Villa Monticello located in the Airport Residential Area of Accra. from 7pm to 9pm. The soulful lounge music and conversations with special invited guests from diverse artistic and literary backgrounds results in a remarkably chilled out and intimate environment. 23
8 Confidence Actions To
“Wouldn’t it be powerful if you fell in love with yourself so deeply that you would do just about anything if you knew it would make you happy? This is precisely how much life loves you and wants you to nurture yourself. The deeper you love yourself, the more the universe will affirm your worth. Then you can enjoy a lifelong love affair that brings you the richest fulfillment from inside out.” - Alan Cohen Everyone holds opinions about the type of person that they are. These opinions are at the heart of self-esteem and they affect how you feel about and value yourself. Self-esteem is not static and fixed; your beliefs about yourself can change throughout your life as a result of circumstance and experience. If you have low self-esteem these beliefs will often be negative. You may focus on what you feel are your weaknesses, and mistakes that you have made. Below, I have outlined 10 actions that will help boost your self-confidence. But remember, nothing ever changes unless you make the change.
1. Recognize your insecurities. What does that voice in the back of your mind say? What makes you uncomfortable or ashamed of yourself? This could be anything from acne, to regrets, friends or a past traumatic or negative experience. Whatever is making you feel unworthy, ashamed or inferior, identify it.This is the first step to solving the problem.
2. Talk about it with friends and loved ones. Wear it on your sleeve. Each day you should chip away at it; wear it down. There's no quick fix. Get to the root of the problem; focus on it and understand that you need to resolve each issue before you can move on. Check if it's an
old past emotion and if it is really still relevant or applicable in your life today. And that doesn't mean you have to get rid of whatever makes you feel bad (many times, you simply can't). You need to learn to accept yourself, your past, and your circumstances as they are, without necessarily thinking of them as "bad".
3.Bounce back from your mistakes. Remember that no one is perfect. Even the most confident people have insecurities. At some point in any of our lives, we may feel we lack something. That is reality. Learn that life is full of bumps down the road. And that often these insecure feelings come and go, depending on where we are, who we are with, the mood we're in, how we are feeling. In other words, they are not constant. 4. Identify your successes. Everyone is good at something, so discover the things at which you excel, then focus on your talents. Give yourself permission to take pride in them. Give yourself credit for your successes. Inferiority is a state of mind in which you've declared yourself a victim. Do not allow yourself to be victimized. Express yourself, whether it's through art, music, writing, etc. Find something you enjoy. Everyone is born with talents and strengths. You can develop and excel in yours. If it's difficult to name two or three things you have some ability in or just plain love to do, think about things others do that you would like to do too and take some lessons. When you're following your passion, not only will it have a therapeutic effect, but you'll feel unique and accomplished, all of which can help build your self-confidence. Plus, adding a variety of interests to your life will not only make you more confident, but it will increase your chances of meeting compatible friends!
5. Be thankful for what you have. A lot of the times, at the root of insecurity and lack of confidence is a feeling of not having enough of something, whether it's emotional validation, good luck, money, etc. By acknowledging and appreciating what you have, you can combat the feeling of being incomplete and unsatisfied. Finding that inner peace will do wonders for your confidence.
6. Be Positive, even if you don't feel the same way. Avoid self-pity, or the pity and sympathy of others. Never allow others to make you feel inferior. T hey can only do so if you let them. If you continue to loathe
and belittle yourself, others are going to do and believe likewise. Instead, speak positively about yourself, about your future, and about your progress. Do not be afraid to project your strengths and qualities to others. By doing so, you reinforce those ideas in your mind and encourage your growth in a positive direction. 7. Accept compliments gracefully. Don't roll your eyes and say, "Yeah, right," or shrug it off. Take it to heart and respond positively ("Thank you" and a smile works well).
8. Look in the mirror and smile. Studies surrounding what's called the "facial feedback theory" suggest that the expressions on your face can actually encourage your brain to register certain emotions. So by looking in the mirror and smiling every day, you might feel happier with yourself and more confident in the long run.
FIGHTING the FLAWS In the make believe world of make-up, we can all have flawless skin: no spots, no acne, no congested skin and no annoying flaky patches. However, the reality is very different. Environmental factors such as pollution, stress or sometimes just our own genetic makeup can lead to skin imperfections that take time and effort to resolve. With increased awareness to skin problems and its causes, you will increase your choice when it comes to finding solutions and discovering what works best for you.
Dry skin Although oily skin can be troublesome, dry skin can be just as problematic as it often causes flaking, itchy patches and sensitivity. You can do a lot on your own to improve your skin by using moisturizers, bathing with oils and avoid harsh, drying soaps
Although it has been estimated that acne affects 85% of teenagers, it frequently continues into adulthood which is why the phrase â€œadult acneâ€? is now a recognized condition. Research suggests that around 18% of adult women suffer from acne. Women may be potentially more susceptible to adult acne due to hormonal fluctuations, and possibly due to the frequent application of topical cosmetic products to the skin, improper product removal or some combination of products Other risk factors associated with acne are oily make-up, oily hair pomades or hairsprays. As well as following the general rule to remove make up before you go to bed. Experts say it should be removed before exercising as a combination of sweat and make-up can exacerbate acne or some other skin problem. Stress is also
often linked to acne so relaxation is also an important lifestyle factor to take account.
Although you might not be suffering from acne, you may have skin that is blemish prone and likely to sprout spots at the most convenient time. Blackheads, whiteheads blocked pores and uneven skin tone are all thought to be symptoms of congested skin. Prevention as well as cure is important when treating any skin problem, so you might need to revamp your skin cleansing routine. Double cleansing twice a day by using water soluble, oil based cleanser to help melt and lift off oily debris on the skin, followed by a second cleanse that is more specific to your skins condition
is also an account.
ing from emts at eads, neven mptoms
ortant so you cleansing day by anser on the e that is tion
elationships are one of the first things that all of us take for granted. Relationships are often taken for granted unknowingly. We forget how much something really matters to us when we don’t stand to lose it. And it usually takes losing something to realize its importance and value. Wondering what the big problems in relationships are, and what you can do to overcome it?
Problems in a relationship
Depending on the kind of relationship you share with your partner, the problems in a relationship could be just as unique. But almost always, all problems in a relationship find their place in ten big areas. At some point or the other, these problems have a way of creeping into your romance. Keep an eye on these issues, and understand how to overcome them, and you’ll see how easy it can be to eliminate all the frustrations you experience in a relationship.
10 Big problems that need your attention
Remember this; you can’t stop problems from cropping up in a relationship no matter how perfect the relationship is. What you can do instead, is eliminate the frustration as soon as you notice them.
Lack of communication. At the start of the relationship, conversations are exciting and fun. Both of you spend a lot of time getting to know each other. But as time goes by, lovers forget to ask the same questions again. We’re all changing all the time, in our preferences and the way we look at life. Don’t assume you know everything about each other or your romance will start to stagnate, or one of you will start to confide in some other person who seems more understanding.
Trust. Do you really trust your partner? There are two kinds of trust in a relationship. Firstly, do you trust your partner enough to feel comfortable with them going out for dinner with someone else? If you don’t, perhaps, you’re insecure or your relationship is still too fragile. And secondly, do you trust your partner’s decisions? Do you think your partner is capable of making important decisions for the both of you? If you can’t trust your partner with life altering decisions, it’s obvious that you don’t respect your partner or their opinions. And that’s never a good sign in a long term relationship.
Jealousy and insecurity. Insecure couples are forever locked in a cycle of jealously and anger. When you feel jealous about the attention your lover’s getting or their recent promotion, you’re not helping them become a better individual. It’s like a parent who’s angry with their child because the child is having “too much fun”. You need to learn to have faith in each other and in the relationship. Instead of letting negativity build inside the relationship, learn to enjoy each other’s successes. After all, your partner
is your better half, and any accomplishments of theirs are your accomplishments too, isn’t it?
Incompatibility in love. Love at first sight and infatuation can last several months. And it does a good job of masking any differences in a relationship. As perfect as two people may be, sometimes, they may just not be perfect for each other. If you find yourself dating someone with whom you have nothing in common, you need to decide on the next step. Try to find common interests that both of you like, or walk your own paths instead of living in frustrations.
Loss of sex drive. This isn’t rocket science. Over time, both of you are bound to lose the sexual urge of the first few months or years of a relationship. While both of you may have a hard time keeping your hands off each other to begin with, now sex may start to feel like a chore. This is a very common problem in relationships, and yet, it’s one of the easy ones to solve. Always look for new ways to recreate the sexual high of the first few times, and before you know it, both of you may go at it all over again like frisky bunnies.
Ka ching! (Money) Anyone in a relationship for long enough will know just how important money or the lack of it really is. If your friends earn a lot more than you or your partner, it’ll end up frustrating both of you. And on the other hand, if both of you earn a lot more than your friends, there’ll be a lot of love and happiness in your lives. It’s a stupid fact of life. But our own happiness is extremely dependent on the way others perceive us. If you’re having difficulties in your relationship because of money, perhaps it’s time to change your friends and see the difference.
Change in priorities. You may be in a relationship, but that doesn’t change who you are. And that’s where the problem starts. As individuals, we evolve and change all the time. You’re not the person you were last year, and you won’t be the person you are now next year. And just like you, your partner too is changing constantly. And every now and then, you and your partner may experience changes that will pull both of you apart from each other. And soon enough, both of you may have nothing in common. Spend enough time with each other and try to evolve together in a similar direction. Talk about your beliefs and your interests with each other and it’ll help both of you grow together along the
Time. Do both of you have enough time to spend with each other? These days, time is a luxury that most lovers can’t afford. When you start spending too much time away from each other, it’s only a matter of time before one of you starts asking the big question, “Do I need my partner in my life anymore?” Don’t drift away so far that both of you don’t need to be with each other anymore. Find ways to indulge in exciting hobbies or spend evenings going out on little coffee or ice cream dates. They make for great conversations and it’ll bring both of you closer too.
Space and individual growth. Now this is contradictory to the earlier problem in relationships. But it’s still something to watch out for. Too much of a good thing can turn out to be bad too. When you’re in a relationship, spending time with each other is very important. But at the same time, spending time away from each other is crucial too. By spending too much time together, you’d subconsciously feel isolated from the rest of the world. And when that happens, you’d crave for any attention from other interesting people just to feel better about yourself and your ability to communicate. And you know what could happen when that happens, right?
Are you still in love? This is the biggest problem in a relationship, and one that’s hardest to overcome. Falling in love is easy. Staying in love isn’t. Love is a delicate balance between dependency and passion. How much do you need your partner? How much do you love and want your partner? When the sexual excitement and the enthusiasm fade away, what do you have to hold both of you together? A relationship should never be based on sex alone. It needs compatibility and understanding, and it definitely needs dependability. Staying in love forever is not easy, but with a little effort, it can give meaning to your life. Problems in a relationship can come and go. But if you ever come face to face with these 10 big problems in romance, don’t overlook it. It could cost you the relationship itself.
and how to fix them
Little Sugar Co. Ltd. email@example.com www.littlesugar.co.uk | LittleSugarAccessories +233 300608781 +233 249184821
Diet Weight loss Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution With Help From The Expert
eight loss is noted for being famous on most peoples New Year’s resolution. But how often do we stick to it? Losing weight can dramatically improve your emotional and physical health, but it can be a slow process. So it’s no wonder that 15% of adults use diet supplements to boost weight loss, opting for a range of products that claim to decrease appetite, block fat absorption, or increase metabolism. However, there are some proven weight loss supplements available. Which weight loss supplements may be safe and helpful during a diet? Here’s a rundown on three products you can buy that have some weight loss evidence behind them: • Fiber • Green tea extract • Meal replacements
Weight Loss Supplements: Fiber When it comes to dropping pounds, weight loss supplements that help keep you full can make it easier to cut back on the amount of food you eat. And when it comes to feeling full, fiber is your friend. “Things that delay gastric emptying and stay in the stomach longer theoretically will make you feel fuller for a longer period of time,” says Sasha Stiles, MD, an obesity expert at Tufts Medical Center. “There’s enough fairly good research to show that an appropriate amount of fiber, such as bran or psyllium, can do this. Don’t take too much, though, because it can stop you up.” A recent study found that overweight and obese people who took a fiber diet supplement each day reported less hunger after meals than people taking a placebo, and there was a trend for those using a fiber supplement to lose more
weight. If you decide to increase your fiber intake from food or diet supple ments, be sure to add fiber to your diet slowly. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid becoming constipated.
Weight Loss Supplements: Green Tea Extract
You may have already heard that green tea is loaded with healthy antioxidants, but did you know it might help you lose weight, too? Regular consumption will promote weight loss by adjusting resting energy usage and increasing the use of energy. The components in green tea extract that have shown some effect on lowering body weight are catechins, caffeine and theanine.” Decaffeinated green tea probably won’t work as well as regular green tea. Not all studies agree. But one recent report found that daily green tea extract supplements helped obese men and women lose weight and lower their body mass index (BMI -- an indicator of body fat). It might also help people keep off weight once they’ve lost it. Green tea extract also helped reduce amounts of dangerous belly fat, which has been linked to an increased risk of death. Not only that, green tea extract lowered blood pressure and LDL, or “bad,” cholesterol at the same time.
Weight Loss Supplements: Meal Replacements
Experts agree: The most proven weight loss supplements are meal replacements, including bars and shakes. But, they only work when used as directed. In many plans, this means substituting a calorie-controlled meal replacement for breakfast and lunch, perhaps with the addition of fresh fruit. Then enjoy a portion-
controlled dinner of around 500 calories. There’s very good scientific literature around meal replacements that is encouraging -- this is a strategy for some people that is efficient and safe. “For folks who adopt that strategy, there’s good long-term success .The reason is simple, it’s structured and it allows people to continue to enjoy food with their evening meal.”
For more information on weight loss and other conditions, contact:
Wellness Nutrition SLIM! SLIM!! SLIM!!!
Cut your risk of heart attack, stroke, sudden death, reduce aches & pains, improve your memory & energy level, look better, feel younger and live a longer healthy life. Prevent or treat diseases like: Anemia | Diabetes | Ulcer Asthma |Wrinkles |Cold Candidiasis | Eye troubles Halitosis | Sexual libido Skin care| Pimples | Back & joint aches | High cholesterol Stretch marks | Black spots Immune system | Over weight/ under weight | Low blood pressure, high blood pressure Liver, kidney, bladder, prostate & urinal tract infection
Location: Off Oxford Street, Behind Goil Filling station, near blue royal hotel Loose 5-10 kilos in a month Call: 020 819 4346 027 431 7067, 028 901 3861
OPENING HOURS Mondays - Saturdays 9am - 7pm each day. Closed on public holidays Last Saturday of every month - 30% off Sale
k girls, for the past two weeks, I have caught myself periodically thinking about what topic to write about. This is usually not a problem for me because like my friends say, I am always full of ideas. So while I was thinking back and forth at work, I had a new patient come in with complaints of foul smelling discharge that does not go away even after a bath. Bingo! Discharge! So, let’s talk about all the different kinds of vaginal discharge that make us uncomfortable. The vagina is an acidic environment that prevents the growth of disease causing bacteria. The acidic environment is produced by normal vaginal bacteria that produce secretions for the cleansing of the vagina. These secretions are then mixed with the mucus produced by the cervical glands. The combined secretion is noted as the “normal vaginal discharge”. All women have some form of vaginal discharge. The key is knowing if the discharge is normal or abnormal (a sign of an infection or disease process). Normal vaginal discharge is usually clear, cloudy, white or yellowish white. It has a characteristic odor that is not offensive. The normal discharge may be thin or thick and usually dries up on the underwear.
If you have a sudden change in the normal appearance, consistency and smell of your vaginal discharge, it may mean that something is wrong. Abnormal discharge may be white, grey, yellow, or green with a foul smell. Discharge may increase with itching and skin irritation. White clumpy discharge is also abnormal.
Some of the reasons why vaginal discharge may be different include infections, menstrual period, pregnancy, stress, food, and the use of some medications. Suspect an infection if your vaginal discharge is green, yellow, or cheesy. Also a foul smelling discharge associated with itching, burning, irritation or bleeding is a sign of an infection.
Do not treat yourself at home if you suspect an infection. It may make things worse. Please see your healthcare provider instead. Also abstain from sexual intercourse at that time. By Vasty firstname.lastname@example.org 33
Home Touch Restaurant
24 years of serving the best cuisines and still reigning, Home Touch Restaurant still offers the best in Ghanaian, Nigerian and Continental dishes.Our 350 seater new location is ideal for weddings, parties, conferences etc Location: Trade fair Centre, La Accra (on top of Ghana Commercial Bank) & Spintex (Victory junction near American washing bay) Tel: 0244607746 | 0285149843 | 0208720326 | Email: hometouchrest@ yahoo.com 34
Vanilla Cup Cakes
There's nothing better than a good batch of vanilla cupcakes. This recipe is features a rich, golden vanilla cake with a sweet vanilla buttercream frosting. This delicious cup cake is very easy to make and it’s the perfect treat for the holidays. These can be ready to eat in about an hour and fifteen minutes! Follow these simple directions and ingredients for the ultimate homemade vanilla cupcakes.
• 3/4 cup butter • 3 eggs • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour • 1/2 teaspoon salt • 1 3/4 cups sugar • 3 teaspoons vanilla (add more for a super-vanilla taste) • 1 1/4 cups milk •2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Prior to starting, get the eggs and butter to room temperature. Grease and flour two cupcake/muffin pans, or add cupcake wrappers to trays. 2. Stir together the salt, baking powder, flour. 3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter in an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined. Continue to beat and add the eggs. Beat well and add vanilla. 4. Add part of the flour mixture then part of the milk, then beat on low. Repeat until all of the milk and flour mixture have been added. Combine and spread batter into cupcake pans. 5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool for at least 15 minutes then remove from pans. Frost.
Culinary Tips with
Vanilla Butter Frosting
Vanilla frosting is something that a lot of bakeries and people mess up. It's really simple, and only takes a few ingredients. This is a tried and true version that will work perfectly every time. If the frosting is too thick, add a little more milk. Too thin, add a little more confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar).
Ingredients: • 3/4 cup butter softened • 2 pounds powdered sugar (around 8 cups) • 1/3 cup milk • 2 teaspoons vanilla • Food color (optional)
1.Beat butter on medium until smooth in an electric mixer.
2. Beat in the powdered sugar well until smooth. 3. Add food color.(optional) 4. Beat in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Beat in the rest of the sugar and the rest of the milk. It's now ready to frost! email@example.com
Make-up Services For
Weddings | Engagements | Photoshoots | Fashion shows| Video production : 0242965785 | : firstname.lastname@example.org | : akaikotei : www.facebook.com/saudapistache | :www.saudapistache.com
| Facials | Massages | Eye treatment |Hair treatment (European & Afro Hair )| Hair extensions | Waxing | Manicure & Pedicure| Non surgical face lift | Location: Osu, down the Barclays Bank/ Penta Hotel Rd Tel: 0302 768751 0244355752
lifestyle magazine ISSUE 07
Call:0208720326 | 0243442286 Fusion Lifestyle Magazine GH its_fusionmagazine
BUSINESS EVENTS BEAUTY FASHION HEALTH INSPIRATION ENTERTAINMENT
SALONS & SPA Salon city spa Loc: Osu down the Barclays Bank/ Penta Hotel Road Tel: 0302 768751 / 0244355752 The salon Loc: Labadi Beach Resort Tel: 0302 778 752 / 0244355752
Tranquility Spa Loc: labone adj to Melting Moments Web: tranquilityspa.bfchillapp.com mail: email@example.com Tel: 0302782737 / 0262323699 REAL ESTATE AGENTS
CHARLESESTATE INT. Tel: 0302763750 / 0544353333 Loc: Osu down the Barclays Bank Website: www.charlesestate.com
Tel: 02777662/0244607746/ 0285149843 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
KIKI CLOTHING LOC: Accra mall shop G39a Tetteh Quarshie Tel: 0208 174 362 Email: email@example.com Website: www.kikiclothing .com
Mandarin Restaurant LTD 1 Noii Fetreke st Roman Ridge 0243-3132126
DIVINE SPARKLES VOGUE P.o.box DC 613 Dansoman estates Accra. Tel :+233(0)244757318 www.divinesparklesvogue.moonfruit. com
Le Magellan Restaurant (French & continental) Lunch : 12:00 - 5:00pm Dinner: from 6:00pm Saturdays : Dinner only Sundays Day off Tel: 0302 777629, 0244 585858
ZANZI BAR Tel: 0302786099 Loc: 42 Dade Street N Labone Accra Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ISLAND SPICE JAMAICAN FOOD JOINT Authentic Jamaican & Caribbean Food HOTELS & GUEST LOGDE & Drinks CATERING - EAT-IN - DELIVERY CROWN APARTMENTO Address: 5th Ringway Link, Ringway Tel: 0302771712 Estates (Adj. Pippa’s Health Centre No. 3 Agbamo Street, Airport Residen- and Opp. RLG tial Area Accra Contact: 020 605 9985 Website: www.crownapartamentoho- Hours: Mon-Fri: 11am-7pm (adtelghana.com vanced booking for 7pm and later) Sat & Sun: Advanced bookings only LEGASSI GARDENS APARTMENTS Facebook: Island Spice Ghana &WHOLEFOOD VEGETARIAN CAF… Twitter: @IslandSpiceGH Loc: Addis Avenue, ACP Pokuase Junction, Accra TRAVEL & TOURS Web: www.legassigardens.com mail: email@example.com THINK PLACES Tel: 0277522229 / 0242703312 Tel: 0302788804 / 0302788805 Mobile: 0244666833 / 0264666833 RESTAURANTS, FAST FOODS&PUBS Email: Daniel@thinkplacesgh.com Website: www.thinkplaces.com THE HONEY SUCKLE PUB TEL: 0275556006 KIDS SHOPS LOC: opp osu fie service : firstname.lastname@example.org Lil Steps Loc: East Legon ñ American House, IL CAVALIER PAZZO Ajiriganor Jnt(Black & White BuildTel: 0246767777/ 0302 823131 ing) Loc: polo club airport Email: email@example.com HOME TOUCH RESTAURANT Tel: 0201324392 LOC: trade fair centre(on top of the commercial bank) BOUTIQUES &CLOTHING LINES
PRESTIGE BOUTIQUE LOC: Osu,Near Noble House Chinese, Off oxford street Tel :0302 960 549 / 0543 414 567 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
AFROMOD TRENDS Tel: 0209638613 www.afromodtrends.com Loc: After photoclub off oxford st, osu SENTINII BOUTIQUE Tel: 0243371719 / 0277341645 4th Soula street north labone ave SEphA email@example.com +233 20 3917170, +233 20 8775967 Location: B835/7 Shia - Shia Close, Awudome, Accra. MANISE DESIGNS 11th Lane Osu Accra 0302976072
AYA MORRISON FASHION ATELIER No.56 Nii Bonnie Crescent, Dzorwulu, Accra, Ghana T: +233 302 956 355 www.ayamorrison.com facebook/ayamorrison PATISSIRIE
Randa Cakes Services: Cakes,Outdoor Catering, Event organization,Interior decor 0266608165/0546911381
Osu - opposite citizen kofi, 10 lane ring way est Marina Mall - basement by the supermarket Tel : 0302 786 487 | 0244 370 886 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com Website : www.allpurenature.com