DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT STUDENT AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
• Over 7,500 people attended performances and arts events in 2015-16.
• Twenty artist engagements were produced; these engagements involved 38 total events and 22 public performances. • Attendance at 17 educational outreach events was over 3,000; attendees included local community members, school children and FSU students. • 11 volunteers served 130 hours for CES. FSU students worked nearly 2,000 hours to produce CES events. CES students supported Late@ Lane by providing artist and staff hospitality needs.
Civic Engagement • The Governor’s Office on Service and Volunteerism has recognized and funded the ASTAR! Program as a Program of Excellence throughout Maryland, 2007-2015. • Frostburg State University has been selected to participate in a national initiative on civic learning and democratic engagement, one of 73 colleges and universities nationwide designated as a Lead Institution by NASPA – Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, the leading voice for the student affairs profession. • During the 2014-2015 year the 98 ECHOSTARS and RisingSTARS completed over 25,000 of community service. • ASTAR! in Western Maryland AmeriCorps Program received three-year funding totalling $2.5 million. • Frostburg State University was again named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for 2014.
• The Office of Civic Engagement completed its largest Alternative Break Program, sending 40 students, staff and AmeriCorps members to New Jersey over Spring Break.
• Last year student organizations, FSU athletic teams, FSU departments and community members donated over 85 Thanksgiving baskets to the Office of Civic Engagement to be distributed to those in need throughout the county.
Lane University Center • Provided paid experiential learning opportunities to 40 students during the academic year. The Lane University Center student staff logged over 16,000 hours supporting our campus community and student life • The Lane University Center hosted 2,494 events during the 2015-16 academic year. • On average, 2,800 patrons visited the Lane University Center a day during the 2015-16 academic year. 12,016 students visited the game room during the fall semester and 15,572 students visited the game room in the spring semester.
Marketing and Design • Photographer Brandon Holmes was voted Homecoming King, Greek Man, and received the Pillar of the Community Leadership Award. • The Social Marketing Team video team produced a 3.5 minute video entitled “Ready, Set, Go!” for Preview FSU. • Social Marketing Team published 26 editions of the electronic newsletter SpotlightOnline and captured over 26,000 photos at 93 events during the 2015-16 academic year.
Student Activities and Greek Life
• Late@Lane entertained 25 percent of the campus community one weekend per month during the fall and spring semesters. • University Programming Council collaborates with student organizations to provide food, music, novelties and fun in the sun at the annual Spring Fest which had an attendance of approximately 1,500 campus community members. • Every year, the University Programming Council hosts approximately 80 programs for FSU students and the University Community; Greek Life hosts over 120 social and educational programs. • 523 total Greek members in over 20 organizations served an average or four hours of community service per person and five hours towards a philanthropic cause and hosted over 40 programs this year for the FSU community. Greeks fund raised $10, 000 for Relay for Life . • Over 75 student organizations participated in the Student Organizations and Advisor Resources (SOAR) series in 2014-15.
Published on Jun 15, 2016
Frostburg State University's Student and Community Involvement Brochure 2016-17