Advising Appointment Tips
BEFORE • Know your program of study and student ID# • Review course requirements and evaluate what courses you need to take for the upcoming semester • Consider how many classes you would like to take as well as time frames that are convenient for you • Familiarize yourself with the class schedule for the upcoming semester (located in WebAdvisor) • Write down any questions you have and bring them with you
DURING • Show up on time • Turn oﬀ or silence your cell phone • Discuss your educational and career goals with your advisor • Talk with your advisor about how your semester is going • Address any concerns you may have • Your advisor will provide you with the date in which you will be able to register for your classes (activation date) through WebAdvisor
AFTER • Keep a record of the information you learned in your advising appointment • Complete any assignments from your advisor and necessary follow up steps (research or visit four-year colleges/universities, follow up appointments if needed) • Contact your advisor by phone or e-mail if you have any follow up questions
JCC Advising Mission Statement Academic advising empowers and provides a collaborative and supportive environment which promotes the educational, career and professional development of our students throughout their academic endeavors.
245 College Road • PO Box 2350 Smithﬁeld, NC 27577 johnstoncc.edu (919) 934-3051
One College • Endless Opportunities This syllabus is intended to provide guidance and outline what is expected of you in the academic advising process during your time as a JCC student. It is important that you are aware of how to make the most of your advising appointment and relationship with your academic advisor. Please refer to this document prior to each advising appointment.
Student and Advisor Expectations Advisor Responsibilities • Understand and eﬀectively communicate the curriculum and college policies and procedures. • Encourage and support students to develop clear educational plans and goals. • Assist students with techniques for working through academic issues. • Provide students with information about utilizing campus services and resources (tutoring, counseling, disability services, etc.). • Maintain conﬁdentiality. • Role model professional behavior for students.
Student Responsibilities • Check your JCC e-mail account on a regular basis. • Arrive on time for your advising appointments. • Come prepared to each appointment with questions and/or necessary materials. • Ask questions if you have a speciﬁc concern or if a problem arises. Do not wait until the problem has become a larger issue! • Identify policies and deadline dates relevant to your academic development and success (payment and drop/add dates, etc.).
Be on the lookout for communication regarding important advising and registration events/deadlines through your JCC e-mail account! Each semester, you are required to meet with your advisor before registering for classes. Advising appointments can be made by accessing Appointment-plus located on the JCC homepage.
JCC Academic Advising Information http://www.johnstoncc.edu/studentresources/advising.aspx
Standard Annual Advising Calendar
The Advising Relationship:
AUG SEPT OCT
• Late advising and registration for the fall • Fall semester begins • Fall semester graduates apply for graduation • Labor Day Holiday • Fall Fest
• Fall Break • Spring class schedule posted in WebAdvisor • Advising for spring semester - Required for all new and returning students • Last day to drop without a grade penalty • Academic Advising Awareness Week
• Advising continues for spring semester • Registration and payment for spring semester begins • Thanksgiving Holiday
• Payment due for spring semester (due date will vary, see academic calendar for speciﬁc dates) • Final Exams • Winter Break
• Late advising and registration for the spring • Spring semester begins • Martin Luther King Holiday • Spring semester graduates apply for graduation
• Black History Month Events
• Spring Break • Summer and fall class schedules posted in WebAdvisor • Advising for summer and fall semesters - Required for all new and returning students • Last day to drop without a grade penalty • Academic Advising Awareness Week
• Advising continues for summer and fall semesters • Registration begins for summer and fall semesters • Summer registration and payment due (due date will vary, see academic calendar for speciﬁc dates) • Easter Holiday • Spring Fling
• Final Exams • Graduation • Summer semester begins
• Fourth of July Holiday • Fall advising and registration continues • Fall payment due (due date will vary, see academic calendar for speciﬁc dates)
• Last day to drop without a grade penalty (will vary depending on start date of class)
For a more detailed academic calendar, visit: http://www.johnstoncc.edu/studentresources/academic-calendar.aspx
Published on Oct 27, 2014
This syllabus in intended to provide guidance and outline what is expected of you in the academic advising process during your time as a stu...