Issuu on Google+

Walmer Fire Brigade

Our Past and Our Future 1942 – 2011


Front cover: Photo by Ian Pollard, Wednesday 8th January, 1969 from front verandah, Baringhup, looking north-west. The fire had crossed Murphys Road and was heading east towards Blue Hills (northern edge of fire). In the mile between Woods Road to Murphys road, just prior to this photo being taken, the fire was timed at three minutes to travel this distance.


Walmer Fire Brigade Our Past and Our Future 1942 – 2011 Acknowledgements This record of history would not be possible without the preservation of old minute books, photos and memorabilia, or the sharing of memories by people involved over the years. Special thanks go to: Past and present secretaries. Contributors of photos and memorbilia - Lillian and Jack Long, Celia O’Byrne, Lois and Ian McQueen, Wendy and Peter Merlo, Jenny and Andrew Chapman, Loris and Bill Davies, Heather and Des Rice and Leanne and Jason Williams. Julie Hough for her support and photographic expertise. Deanna Neville who inspired the project and whose artistic flare and design set the standard for the publication of this book. Christy Wojniusz for her great work interpreting stories into cartoons, Ian Pollard for our front cover photo. Bill Davies for all the countless hours and effort put into reading and compiling the minutes into an informative and engaging manner. Heather Rice for her patience and the endless hours on her laptop compiling hundreds of notes into a presentable format. This project would not have proceeded without her untiring efforts and dedication. And finally to Brigade members for their interest and financial support of the project.


Walmer Fire Brigade Our Past and Our Future 1942 – 2011 A written history The content of this book is drawn primarily from the Walmer Fire Brigade minutes, a preserved collection of meticulous notes from past Brigade meetings. Where applicable, the year and date of minuted points of interest have been included and compiled chronologically. Further commentary has been contributed by Bill Davies to assist the reader with background information. This book can be viewed online - go to issuu.com/focusoncommunity


Contents Item Page Acknowledgements 3 Forward 7 The 30’s and 40’s

11

The 50’s and 60’s

17

The 70’s and 80’s

37

The 90’s to 2011

47

2010 Awards 55 Roles and Leadership

60

Our Future 62 Photo Acknowledgements

64


Foreword As we record the history of the Walmer Fire Brigade it is important to reflect; “That if we do not know where we have come from we do not know where we are going, nor do we appreciate the development of the Brigade, or the resilient dedication of our volunteer fire fighters.” The Walmer Rural Fire Brigade is situated between Maldon, Harcourt and Castlemaine in an idyllic area covering approximately 320 sq kms of fertile creek flats, rolling hills to wooded areas of the Walmer / Muckleford / Woodbrook districts. The area was sparsely populated in the 1930’s and 40’s and fire fighting was a loosely organised affair. Farmers would just get together in mutual support when an emergency arose. Fires burnt fairly quietly through short sparse grass. With the introduction of high growth improved pastures and an increasing population, the community as a whole will face greater risk. With the publication of this book we wish to acknowledge and pay tribute to the foundation members and officers of the Brigade who accepted the responsibility and challenge of developing a structure that produced an organised, highly efficient and effective volunteer fire fighting unit. The Brigade continues to be vastly enhanced through the interaction, support and contributions of the community. Bill Davies, Walmer Fire Brigade Captain 1962-1989, November 2011

7


Walmer Riding Walmer Brigade Area

Walmer Riding Marker on Sandy Creek Road


1942 Original Constitution Maldon Shire was founded and gazetted in the 1850’s. For the expedience of adminstration, colleting and allocating rate revenue and councillor representation, the Shire was divided into three areas, called Ridings, more commonly known as Wards. Baringhup Riding was all of the west area of Maldon. The Maldon Riding was all of the area within the township of Maldon and the Walmer Riding was all of the area east of Maldon.


The 30’s and 40’s The 1930’s and 1940’s were tough and traumatic years for the nation and the Walmer community was no exception, suffering from the Great Depression of the 30’s leading into the World War of the 40’s. These years were interspersed with the disastrous and tragic fires of 1939 and 1943-44, with landowners also suffering a prolonged drought during the 1940’s as well as a rabbit plague. Money was scarce with food, clothing and petrol rationing and all agriculture production was acquired and controlled by the Government for a nominal payment to producers. The community generally existed and struggled with debt. 11


1942 The Founders 29 Jun - A meeting convened by Councillors (Crs) Sharp, Talbot and Williams held at the Walmer State School on June 29th 1942 had been called for the purpose of forming a Bush Brigade in their district.

being caused during the summer months in country districts through enemy action, had decided to form a controlling body in connection with the fire fighting services of the State and to form Bush Fire Brigades where none existed.

In attendance were Crs. W. Sharp, C. Talbot, R. Williams, J. Geddes, R Sharp, S. Walters, R. McGregor, J. Long, D. Pinchin, A. Pinchin, A. Balmer, H. Talbot, Cr. Grigg MLC, J. McNabb.

On the motion of Cr. Talbot and Mr. R.E. Sharp it was unanimously decided to form a Bush Fire Brigade in the Walmer Riding, Shire of Maldon to serve that area. All landowners and their families to be encouraged to join.

An apology was received from Miss Olive James of Muckleford. Cr. Grigg, M.L.C. Chairman of the Rural Fire Authority, reported that the Government, being apprehensive of the danger of bush fires

12

8 Aug - Mr. Rupert Sharp was elected Captain with Lieutenants – J. Geddes, H. Pietsch, R. McGregor, W. Towers.

L to R: Jack Long, Ray Murdoch, Jack Butcher, Harry Talbot, Sid Walters, Rupert Sharp, Dave Pinchin, photographed at the 50th celebrations, 1992


1942 Equipment 8 Aug - A levy of two shillings (20 cents) per hundred (100) acres with a minimum of five shillings (50 cents) to raise funds was placed on each landowner. It was agreed that two Semi-Rotary hand pumps with 20 ft. of hose and adjustable nozzles be purchased out of Brigade funds and to apply to the Government for one Furphy tank with a Semi-Rotary

pump, 20ft of hose, 100 beaters, 24 rakes and eight knapsacks with hand pumps. Within two years of its formation, Walmer Brigade attended a major fire that started at Buckeye Creek along side the Calder Highway at Big Hill. Fire burnt into Nth Harcourt, Sutton Grange, burnt out Mt. Alexander and spotted into Elphinstone and Glenluce areas.

Enthusiasm of Brigade members at this fire was such that on one occasion when Sid Walters went to shift his utility with the Brigade Furphy tank on the back, the utility would not move. Upon inspection he discovered not only a full tank of water but 12 able-bodied men on the back as well.

Left: knapsacks, Lowdown pump, beaters and nozzle.

Right: Furphy Tank

13


1942 What is rationing?

A word of explanation may be useful at this point on the Pound, Shillings and Pence money system then in use and petrol and food rationing. Simple equivalents for the money are hard because of the difference in purchasing power but as an indicator, the basic Wage in 1942 was five pounds nine shillings a week ($11.80 in decimal approximation) for a family of five. A bottle of beer cost one shilling and the return Sunday Special train fare to Melbourne was

three shillings. Petrol was rationed from 1940 and after Japan entered the war in December 1941 private cars were restricted to 26km a week. Although eased, petrol rationing continued until December 1950, five years after the war ended. All food was rationed and could only be got with coupons from a ration book issued for each person. Tea was rationed until July 1950.

1943 The petrol problem Executive meeting, 2 Feb - One Furphy tank to the value of six pounds and eight knapsacks without back rests at two pound 14s 6d each to be purchased and arrangements made for members with trucks to provide transport for men and equipment, especially tanks. The matter of ration tickets for petrol to be left with the lieutenants.

Executive meeting, 29 Aug - Twelve rakes and 60 beaters ‘with necessary nuts and washers’ to be bought. The secretary to put a 44 gallon drum of petrol and obtain a special licence with a ten unit monthly ration ‘for the replenishing of emergency reserves in case of fire.’

1944

Formation of the CFA 19 Dec - Saw the formation of the Country Fire Authority (CFA). This organisation was formed as a result of a Royal Commission into the disastrous 1939 fires and further disastrous 14

fires during 1943 and 1944. Its purpose was to achieve co-ordination between existing fire services.


1944 Extension of boundary 5 Feb - A special meeting in February 1944 approved the extension of the Walmer Brigade’s boundaries to include more landowners who wished to come under the Walmer Brigade Area. The extended boundary included the Bendigo-Castlemaine railway line from Hokins Rd Ravenswood to Big Hill, and the road running west from

Big Hill to Lockwood then South approximately one mile, then west to Woodstock Fire Boundary at South Shelbourne. Standpipe post, Carpenters Lane, Muckleford

1945 State regions 3 Jan - The CFA divided the State into regions and appointed Regional Officers to co-ordinate brigades.

19 May - The Brigade donated two Guineas ($2.10) to help defray the cost of erection of a stand pipe on the main Maldon water pipeline.

20 Jan - A Quench Quick power pump was received by the Brigade plus two more complete Furphy tanks and pumps which were placed in the Lockwood area. Left: Division into state regions

Right: First Regional Officer appointed to Bendigo area was Mr. Roly Trevorah

15


1945 Communication in the early days

Communication to Brigade members-landowners was a major exercise. Telephone contact was very limited and mainly by party lines – where two to three houses were on the one line. (There were only three to four party lines covering the whole brigade area.)

1948 21 Oct - Walmer Brigade members attended a Regional School of Instruction at Bendigo.

1949 1 Oct - The Brigade was supplied with a new powered trailer unit.

16

In the event of an incident, members who received a message would contact their neighbours personally either by horse, bike or motor vehicle.

The Brigade undertook burning fire-breaks in strategic areas. Application made to CFA for 80 knapsacks.


The 50’s and 60’s The 1950’s and 1960’s saw some dramatic changes. Recovery after the war was well on the way. Agriculture products were on the open market and being strongly sought after, bringing record prices. Landowners at last had some money to purchase tractors and machinery to develop their land and sow it down with grass seeds, clovers and fertilisers. This changed the composition of grazing land from patches of sparse vegetation to a thick mat of grasses which, coupled with a prolonged wet cycle, and 1956 being among the wettest on record, created a vastly different scenario: more flammable material and hotter fires with heavier smoke. To combat these changed conditions better fire fighting equipment and techniques were required.

17


1950 Formation of Lockwood Brigade 7 Oct - The Brigade noted the loss of members to the newly formed Brigade at Lockwood and the need to realign the Northern Boundary

of the Walmer Brigade back to Hokins Road.

1951 Picnic days and competitions 14 Mar - The Brigade attended a picnic day at Marong and entered competitors in the competition events conducted by the Region. A picnic day was arranged by Brigade members at Muckleford cricket ground for the purpose to practise and select teams for the next

Left: Mr and Mrs Joe Long, Kevin Long, Jack Long, Cecil O’Byrne, Jack Woodlock, Rupert Sharp, Billy McKnight and Bruce McGregor

18

Right: Joy Davies, Bill Davies, Loris Davies, Clarence Davies, Rose Davies, Val Davies, Gramma Davies, Les Davies, Betty Fox

ensuring Competition to be held at Strathfieldsaye in 1951. It was a very successful social event for the Brigade and became an annual event.


1951 Realignment of boundaries 29 Sep - The Harcourt Brigade requested the Walmer Brigade give consideration to the realignment of an agreed boundary and the transfer of affected members from Walmer to Harcourt. It was agreed the boundary be south from Hokins Road along the crest of Bright Hills to Wattle Flat. The Brigade did a redistribution of equipment with one tank and hand pump allotted to each area – Muckleford area, Bradford area and Walmer area. They were placed with suitable private utes or trucks. The Brigade acknowledged that fire prevention was a first essential activity.


Fire prevention During 1950 Brigade Officers recognized that to combat a fire in the changed conditions of thicker and more flammable grasses that fire prevention and the construction of fire breaks was essential. The fire prevention carried out by the Brigade continued to help younger members obtain experience in handling the tanker, equipment and fire behaviour with the burning off program. Extensive work was carried out on an annual basis implementing fire breaks until the late 1980’s when government and council policies and regulations saw the burning of fire breaks phased out by brigades. Strategic fire breaks were maintained at Fogarty’s Gap Road, Muckleford Walmer Road and the Maldon Castlemaine railway line. The Brigade assisted the Victorian Railways to burn the full length of the line each year until 1970 when the line was closed due to damage by the 1969 fire.

Strategic breaks were important for two reasons – firstly to stop a fire or at least give brigades a base to work from, and secondly, to provide a safer corridor for people travelling to or from the fire area. CFA fire prevention competitions conducted at group and regional level encouraged brigades to plan and record their fire prevention. Annual inspections were carried out by the CFA in conjunction with judging of the competition, offering very good monetary prizes for winning brigades. Walmer Brigade was very successful in these competitions, winning many of them. Prize money won helped to equip the Brigade with quickfill pumps, protective clothing, radios and extensions to the fire station. Individual landowners were also judged on the preparation of their properties. Many Walmer landholders won awards at regional level for the protection work carried out on their properties. Fire prevention remains a critical element in combating fire and providing protection to life and property.

1952 First CFA Tanker and its new home 24 May - The Brigade was issued with its first CFA Austin fire tanker. The Brigade received the tanker in January 1952. Officers decided to have a tanker familiarisation day for members on

the next Sunday but as fate would have it, a fire started on Fogarty’s Gap Road at Muckleford Creek at midnight on a hot Friday night. Not a very satisfactory way for members to become acquainted with a new tanker unit that nobody had had any previous experience with. The fire only burnt about five acres due to the good work of the Furphy tanks on private vehicles.

20

The Brigade agreed to erect a shed, approximately 20ft by 10ft with 8ft walls and gable roof, on Mr. R. Sharps property to house the new Fire truck. A levy was placed on landowners of a minimum one pound ($2.00) to purchase materials.


“Sometime after the Fire Truck was situated at Sharp’s place, there was a fire at Sharp’s three corner paddock – the entire brigade attended the fire, BUT, no-one remembered to bring the fire truck.”

21


1952 Proudly worn uniform 5 Mar - The Brigade resolved that brigade competitors wear a uniform at the forthcoming competitions. The uniform consisted of khaki trousers and shirt with the word ‘Walmer’ in red letters attached to the shirt pocket, black tie, black shoes and khaki beret. L: First Uniform with hat, tie, belt and black shoes. Pictured: Lindsey McQueen, Bill Davies, Ian McQueen, Les Davies, Doug Sharp, Barry Droney

R: 1991 - New uniform, featuring white trousers and green polo top. Pictured: Peter Merlo, Shane O’Bryne, Simone Kinross, Adrian O’Byrne, Greg Kinross, John O’Byrne, Graeme O’Byrne, Michael O’Byrne, Jason McGregor, Ian Long

L: State Championship Uniform – Region shirt. John O’Byrne, Adrian O’Byrne, Peter Merlo, Ian Long, Michael O’Byrne

22

R: Junior Uniform – similar to Seniors. Grant Thomas, Lawrence MacDonald, Adrian O’Byrne, Danny Curran

Over the next forty years, the uniform changed but the pride in the Brigade never waned.


1952 Proudly won Apr - The Brigade Captain reported on the success of the Brigade at the Marong competitions, winning the first Bendigo Advertiser shield

which was presented to the Brigade for scoring the highest aggregate points over all events.

Captain Rupert Sharp collecting the First Bendigo Advertiser Shield at Marong

Competitions Members of the Walmer Brigade embraced competitions right from when they were first introduced to the Rural Fire Service in 1950. The benefit of competitions to the Brigade was that it brought the community together and a great camaraderie developed between members and their families. It helped to develop team work, discipline, training and appreciation of each others’ abilities. Competition also encouraged younger people to join the Brigade and gave them the opportunity to participate in healthy activities, as well as to travel to other parts of the state to compete in State Championships. The Walmer Brigade was very competitive and successful over the

Competition Team that ran at Marong On Truck L to R: Bill Davies, Ray Murdoch, Vic Sweeting, George Sweeting, Anthony Fitzpatrick. Front L to R: Jack Long, Gerald Fitzpatrick, Rupert Sharp, Laurie O’Byrne, Jack Woodlock, Jack Butcher

forty years that they competed, evident by the number of trophies held by members and displayed in the trophy cabinet at the fire station. Dave Davies had the honour of winning the first trophy for the Brigade in the rope climb event at Marong in 1950. Barry Droney was State Champion, winning the knapsack event at the Bairnsdale State Championships in 1963. Walmer members were State Champions in many team events. The Walmer Junior members, 11-16 years, were also very competitive and successful. The involvement and experience gained at junior level assisted members to become very competent firemen at senior level.

23


Competition teams

24

Back Row: Jack Woodlock, Jack Long, Rupert, Sharp, Bill Davies, Billy McKnight. Front: Laurie O’Byrne, Ray Murdoch, Gerald Fitzpatrick

Bill Davies, Vern Creasy, Ian McQueen, Barry Droney, Doug Sharp, Les Davies

Front: Michael O’Byrne, Terry Davies, Barry Droney, Paul Davies and Craig Thomas. Middle: Peter O’Byrne, John Murdoch, Ray Smart, Coaches – Bill Davies and Ian McQueen - Peter Merlo and Lawrence MacDonald. Back: John O’Byrne, Coach – Les Davies - Neil Wilson, Art Smart and Graeme O’Byrne

Michael O’Byrne, Peter Merlo, Ian Long, Jason McGregor, Graeme O’Byrne

Back Row: Bill Davies, Laurie O’Byrne, Vern Creasy. Front: Barry Droney, Jack Long.


Competition events

Burning bag knapsack event - Les Davies and Terry Davies at 50th Anniversary

Burning straw event with Lowdown pump

Burning straw event with trucks

Rope climbing event

At the first Demonstration held at Marong, Dave Pinchin offered the use of his ex-army1936 Ford truck to be used in the truck events. All went well and the Brigade won second prize in the truck pumping event. Organisers suggested that if the Brigade was going to use the truck next year that they should ensure that front mudguards and running boards be attached to the body of the truck. This work was carried out before the next demonstration. The truck and the new mudguards were all polished up the day before the event and parked in the horse paddock. In the morning when Dave collected the truck he discovered that a Clydesdale horse had kicked one of the new mudguards off the truck. The brigade competed in the events with one mudguard on and one off.

25


1952 Burn-offs Nov-Dec - The Brigade assisted railway personnel in burning off the Maldon-Castlemaine Line and maintained it as a strategic fire break. The Brigade planned and carried out burn offs on roadsides to establish fire breaks in the Brigade area.

Special mention was made at a Brigade meeting regarding the absence of fires in the Brigade area for several years. It was noted the excellent fire prevention work being undertaken by the Brigade and individual landowners.

1953 Weekly rosters 25 Sep - The brigade agreed to establish a roster of men to man the fire truck on weekdays and weekends. Members were asked to communicate their availability to Lieutenants. Telephones were still not readily available.

26

This greatly assisted the fire truck to quickly turn out and eased the burden on just one or two members for being continually responsible for the truck.

Example of roster, circulated 1983


1956 Lights to see by 5 Dec - Brigade members requested if a suitable light could be fitted to the rear of the fire truck to enable operators to see during any night

work; also if reflectors could be obtained for the back of the truck.

1957 Road upgrade 7 Sep - The Brigade requested that the Maldon Council upgrade the road from Lewis corner to Fogarty’s Gap Road to ensure direct access

by the fire tanker to that area in case of fire.

1958 New CFA tanker Oct - The Brigade was issued with a new Austin fire tanker which replaced the 1952 Austin tanker that was delivered to another brigade

in the Bendigo area.

27


1960 First mobile radio 26 Jan - The value of radio to assist fire fighting was hotly discussed. After a lengthy discussion on the subject of purchasing a mobile radio for the Brigade at the cost of approximately 125 pounds ($250), it was agreed that a levy of five shillings (50cents) per 100 acres be made on

all landowners in the Brigade area. Mr. Col Gibson, a private radio ham at Maldon, set up a base station.

“Soon after getting the Radio in the fire truck the Brigade attended a fire at Ashby’s, we put the fire out and then the Captain turned up ‘very upset’ – we had not turned on the radio to let base know where we were and if we needed help.”

1961 Elmore competitions 8 Apr - The Brigade competition team had a very successful day at Elmore, winning the Aggregate, CFA Cup, Bendigo Advertiser Shield and the discipline event. L. Davies established a new record in the knapsack Event. The record still stands. Mr. Davies won his event just an hour after receiving news his wife had given birth to his first son.

28

Brigade Sorrow Deep regret was felt by the Brigade at the tragic death of competition member Mr. Vern Creasy, killed in a motorbike accident returning from the 1961 Elmore Demonstrations.


1962 Quite a service 22 Aug - After 21 years of distinguished service Mr. R. Sharp did not accept renomination as the Captain of the Brigade. Rupert’s

1963

contribution and leadership to the Brigade was exceptional for which he was suitably recognised at a later function.

Three Walmer Captains: Bill Davies, Rupert Sharp, Andrew Chapman

Formation of Maldon Group The Maldon Group was formed, consisting of Brigades from Baringhup, Lockwood, Maldon, Walmer and Woodstock West. The

forming of the Group assisted greatly in the co-ordination of the Brigades.

29


Important roles of women in the Brigade Women have played an important role within the Brigade structure throughout the years. Since the formation of the Brigade it was the ladies of the house that usually took the fire call and alerted the men

or directed the messenger to where the men were working. As early as 1943 the Brigade made inquires as to whom among the ladies was willing to act as transport drivers of firemen attending a fire call.

1963

Ladies’ committee A Ladies Committee was formed in 1963 to coordinate catering for fires and social events and to assist with fundraising such as progressive dinners, dances, an emergency services ball and catering for clearing sales. A system was developed during the 1960’s where the wives of the Lieutenants accepted the responsibility of alerting the Brigade members within their allotted area. This proved to be a very effective system and remained in place until the introduction of a Pager System

30

in 2000. More women have accepted the challenge and become active fire fighters in the past decade. The contribution by the women of the Walmer Brigade has been most significant and of great value to the Brigade.

Back: Jane Jackson, Wendy Merlo, Phillipa Calwell, Debbie O’Byrne, Kathryn O’Byrne, Renee Thompson Middle: Leanne Williams, Pam Harvey, Lois McQueen, Celia O’Byrne Front: Loris Davies, Lillian Long, Enid Chapman


1964

Fire fighter protection The importance of protective clothing was highlighted by the Brigade. The Ladies Committee purchased two pairs of overalls to be left in the truck for the hose men to wear.

The Brigade acknowledged the importance of, and the co-operation received from, the Forest Commission Fire Spotter situated in the Lookout Tower on Mount Tarrangower.

The Brigade noted the increase in the numbers of fires occurring within the Group and surrounding areas.

1965

Radio update 18 Aug - The Brigade discussed the value of updating the Radio from a valve set to a transistor set. 18 Aug - R. Sharp reported that now that Sharps had their own built up Tanker, the Brigade should consider a new location for the

Brigade fire tanker. A sub-committee was set up to investigate alternate locations.

1967

Maldon Rural Brigade expanded 19 Jul - To enable Maldon Rural Brigade to obtain a C.F.A. issue Fire Truck, Walmer and Baringhup Brigades were asked to consider boundary changes to give Maldon a larger area.

Fire Station to be known as Maldon Group Base. Maldon Group Brigades were rostered to operate the radio for weekly scheds and during the running of an incident.

It was agreed that Walmer’s Western boundary would now be South down Almond Tree Rd to the Dredge. All members in Bradford and Nuggety area to be transferred to Maldon. The 1966 – 67 Summer was recognised as being one of the longest and driest on record. Water reserves had dried up. Maldon Group purchased a new H.F. Radio to install in the Maldon

31


1967

New tanker

10 Oct - Walmer Brigade received a new Austin fire tanker.

32


1968

Additional equipment 12 Aug - A 300 gallon tank and motorised pump suitable for a Slip-on unit on a private truck was issued to the Brigade. The Brigade decided to place the Slip-on unit at Bert Butchers as Mr. Butcher offered the use of his truck.

With the event of the automatic telephone exchanges being installed and telephone lines being extended into the Brigade area, party lines would be phased out but private telephones could be more easily assessable.

The Brigade, after much deliberation, decided that the location for the new Fire Station should be on Fogarty’s Gap Road at North Walmer – three sites to be investigated and reported back to a future meeting.

1969 Devastating fire The Walmer Brigade was devastated by the disastrous fire on the 8th January 1969 when half of the Brigade area was blackened. The fire started at Baringhup at 12 noon and was contained at South Ravenswood at 10pm, burning 60,000 acres (24,000 hectares). R.O. Norman Winn said that while the fire was not the biggest in the state that day, it had been one of the hottest: 9am temp. was 85 deg F., Hum. 17%, 40MPH wind NW Heavy with dust. Noon temp was 98 deg F., hum 8%, wind 60MPH (100kph). 3pm temp was 108 deg F., hum 5%, wind 60-80MPH.

There were limited fire trucks available to attend the fire due to other major fires in the state – Lara, Campbell Town 90,000 acres; Borung 120,000 acres. The outstanding effort by members of the Brigade and landowners on the southern perimeter of the fire at Walmer, who, using private equipment, took a stand and created fire breaks and saved a much greater catastrophe. Two brigade members lost their homes. A survey of the Walmer Brigade area immediately after the fire indicated there were 40 landowners and their families plus six households at McKenzies Hill. All were members of the Brigade.

33


1969

Fire map

34


35


36


The 70’s and 80’s The challenge for the Brigade during the 1970’s and 1980’s was the number of farm properties being sold in small allotments, development of hobby farms and sub-divisions for closer settlement to meet the demand of people wanting to live in a bush setting. A lot of these residents worked out of the area while others were weekenders or retirees. When approached and communicated with, these people were very supportive of the Brigade. Brigade membership remained fairly static as new members equalled departing members; younger family members were leaving the district to pursue jobs or careers elsewhere. 37


1970

New headquarters 27 Aug - Fate took a hand in deciding the location for the new fire station after the 1969 fire burnt the Methodist Church down and that site then became available. On the recommendation of the Brigade the CFA purchased the church land at North Walmer for the new fire station.

16 Sep - Due to the failure of the H.F. Radio to transmit through heavy smoke and dust during the 1969 fires, a new V.H.F. radio was purchased by the Brigade through funds made available by the Ladies Committee.

Single bay shed

1971 Radio sub base 24 Feb - The Maldon Group purchased an additional Radio and placed it in a private residence as a sub base to assist in maintaining 24 hr radio coverage as support for Brigades and ensuring that Brigades were backing one another up. Loris Davies manned the Sub Base 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 18 years. 38

The Brigade roster was revised to ensure the fast turnout of the tanker and members being quickly alerted. Material for the new fire station had arrived; it was of prefab construction and was to be erected by the Brigade members. A permit had been applied for.


1971

The Barn

“Coffee by the copperful”

Mr. E.G. Ottrey was given a suitable gift in recognition of his generosity in allowing the Brigade to utilise his Shearing Shed “The Barn” for social events, fund raising and meetings over the previous 30 years. Dances and presentation nights at Ottery’s Barn were always entertaining.

Lillian Long recalls the problems of the early days when ration coupons were needed for tea and sugar. For many years Olive James was known for miles around for the “Miss James’ Milk Coffee”. She made it in a copper and always managed to ‘acquire’ enough of the hard-to-get ingredients.

Ottrey’s Barn

39


1974 A tradition begins As a response to the sale of properties broken up into smaller allotments and proposed sub-divisions being developed within the Brigade area, the Brigade acknowledged the need to involve and educate new members of the community to the Brigade and fire prevention/fire protection.

An evening was arranged at the fire station on a Friday night to which new members within the community were invited and introduced to Brigade members. This became an annual event and developed into the Brigade’s present Xmas BBQ fundraising event.

2 Jul - The Brigade won the Regional Fire Prevention Competition, 1st Prize being $500. The Brigade agreed to purchase a Grascos MK2 quick fill pump with the proceeds. The Brigade to build a loading ramp at Butcher’s for quick loading of the 300 gallon tank and motor. This enabled Mr. Butcher the freedom to use his truck in his farming operations. 6 Aug - The Ladies Committee provided a rain water tank for the fire shed. The CFA provided an outside toilet for the Brigade.

40

The annual Christmas party


1977

1310 International Tanker

Supper / Meeting room

The Brigade received a new International 4 X 4 1310 Tanker to replace the 1967 Austin Tanker.

24 Oct - The CFA granted the Brigade $1,000 to assist extending the Fire Shed out the back to accommodate a Supper/Meeting room.

The Brigade used a Shire of Maldon map as a base to indicate the position of houses within the Brigade area as many new residents were now living in the community. The map was displayed at the station.

1978 6 Mar - The Ladies Committee purchased four pair of overalls for the fire truck.

Merv Walters offered to make their truck available for the slip-on tank and pump.

26 Oct - As Bert Butcher could not guarantee that his truck would be available all the time for use as required by the Brigade; Alan and

The quick loading stand, tank pump moved from Butcher’s to the fire station. 41


1979

MCG hosts regional competitions 24 Jan - Walmer Brigade conducted the Regional Demonstrations at the Muckleford Cricket Ground. It was a huge social and financial success that was very professionally run.

26 Oct - The Brigade purchased a Bedford truck to build up as a second Brigade tanker at a cost of $600. This unit was to be placed at Muckleford at Chapman’s, McQueen’s or Cooper’s.

A profit of $1,079.45 was achieved.

The Bedford truck

1980 Fire reporting system 25 Nov - A Telephone Fire Reporting System (F.R.S.) was installed in four members’ homes to assist in rapid turn out. The four homes were: I. Davies, L. O’Byrne, A. Walters and J. Long. 42

Brigade members had completed the build up of the Bedfort tanker, ready for the fire season.


1980

Maldon fire 24 Dec - The Walmer Brigade played a huge part in combating and controlling a major fire at Maldon. The fire burnt from Baringhup to Mt. Tarrangower then spotted to the Gower School site at Muckleford. As a strong southerly wind change arrived in the area, a stirling effort by Brigade members stopped the fire in thick bush at the Gower School site as it headed toward the Muckleford Valley. The Bedford Tanker proved its worth at the Maldon Fire. Driven by very competent drivers, it manoeuvred where many CFA Units would not go.

After forcing a track through heavy undergrowth to the front of the fire with the fire truck, the Walmer crew rested after extinguishing the fire. As one member sat exhausted on the ground, his mate said “Don’t move!” A large brown snake had taken refuge between his feet.

The Maldon fire map


1981 Manpower Ready available manpower is becoming a major problem for Brigades. Membership remains high but people are travelling out of the area to their jobs. Brigade members are continuing to attend many training days.

The availability of many private units is diminishing. The Brigade acknowledges the important role that Private Equipment plays on the fire ground, often the first to attend a fire; important in blacking out and being on Stand-by when Tankers are out of Brigade area.

30 Apr - The Brigade won $400 in the Fire Prevention Competition and put the money into purchasing a radio for the Bedford tanker. A Fire Bug was operating in the Brigade area and multiple fires resulted. The person responsible delighted in phoning the Maldon

Base and announcing that a fire was about to occur in a given location. No charges were ever laid.

1982 Regional mapping 1 Nov - The Brigade was to carry out an inspection of the Brigade area to update mapping for inclusion in the Regional Mapping Project. The Brigade purchased $100 worth of Shares in the Regional Mapping Co-Operative.

A busy year for the Brigade in organising two big events - A Monster Auction, with all items donated by the community, was held at Bruce McGregor’s. Items included farm machinery, wood, posts, household effects – 200 lots were recorded.

31 May - The Brigade was again successful in the Fire Prevention Competition.

Then organising and catering for an Essential Services Ball at Lockwood Hall. Both of these events were very successful and profitable.

1983

Ash Wednesday 16 Feb - The Brigade was part of a Regional Task Force that attended the Ash Wednesday fires at Mt. Macedon area. The Brigade tanker and

44

crews were away for three days and nights.


1984

Fire shed extensions 15 Nov - The Brigade decided to extend the fire shed to a double bay station.

The Brigade costed materials for the shed extension - $2,614.00 and decided to proceed with the building.

The CFA advised that finance was not available to assist the Brigade.

The double bay station at Davies Road

1987 Community discussions 29 Apr - The Brigade recorded that the development and closer settlement was placing pressure on the Brigade to record new buildings to assist locating houses in case of fire/incidents.

Many hours were spent by members meeting residents on their own premises discussing fire prevention and fire awareness and promoting the Brigade.

The Brigade recognised the challenge and need for greater communication with the community to stress the home owners’ responsibilities towards fire prevention for their own protection. 45


1987 29 Apr - The Brigade purchased an International truck from Castle Bacon to replace the Bedford truck.

46

CFA 1310 International, Brigade-owned International and Brigade-owned Bedford tanker


The 90’s to 2011 Houses continue to be built within the Brigade area. The increase in population coincides with an increase of fire and traffic Incidents. With the Multi Turnout Policy of the fire service, the workload of the Brigade members has increased. Community expectations, government inquires and a coronial investigation into the deaths of fire fighters caught in the Linton fires is placing the fire service under greater scrutiny. There is also much greater emphasis on recognising fire ground safety under Occupational Health and Safety Legislation. Brigade Officers are under greater pressure to be aware of the circumstances and the actions required to be undertaken to avert the threat of litigation. Training is becoming more extensive and now requires active fire fighters to undertake minimum skills accreditation including fire safety before being permitted on the fire ground. To date 34 Members of the Walmer Fire Brigade have received their accreditation, however, the immediate availability of members for a rapid turnout is becoming even harder to achieve throughout the day as well as at night due to work and family commitments of members. Regardless of these challenges, the Walmer Brigade, a dedicated Volunteer Fire Brigade, continues to meet their responsibility of protecting life and property of the community.

47


1990 Walmer Fireman honoured

Brigade-owned tanker’s home

Bill Davies was HONOURED in the Queens Birthday Awards with an Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM) for distinguished exemplary service to the Fire Service.

21 May - The Brigade won $700 for First Prize in the Fire Prevention Competition. The money was put towards erecting a shed to house the Brigade-owned tanker at Muckleford.

Bill was presented with his AFSM at Government House by Governor Davis McCaughey.

Mr. A Chapman offered a site on his property near the Muckleford railway line.

Far left: Bill Davies, pictured to the right of Jack Long, in 2011

48

Left: New shed situated opposite the Muckleford railway station, pictured here in 2011


1992 Class A Foam During the 1990’s the brigade trialled Class A Foam units on both tankers. Class A Foam is now used widely throughout the CFA as a combatant to extinguishing fires. 16 Nov - The Brigade received from the CFA a new Isuzu 2000L 4x4 fire tanker to replace the 1310 International tanker.

1994

New CFA Isuzu 2000L 4X4 tanker

NSW fires Serious fires were threatening large areas of the East Coast in NSW. In one of the first interstate agencies support role, the CFA organised a number of Brigade members to fly to Newcastle RAAF base and fight fires with CFA tankers already on site at Mangrove Mountain and surrounding area. Being assured that there was adequate water available at a nearby river

to refill the tankers proved interesting and not so practical, as the river was tidal and at times there was no water. 17 May - The Brigade commenced fund raising to purchase a cab chassis to update the Brigade owned International tanker. The CFA is to provide the tanker back. Working bees to cut wood were organised - $640 per load.

1997 New Brigade-owned truck 19 May - The Brigade purchased a Mitsubishi Cab Chassis as a replacement for the International tanker for $21,500.00. The build up of the back by skilled engineering cost the Brigade an additional $10,000 plus a regional contribution and support from the Maldon Community Bank. The build up entailed a new tank, pump, lockers and lights. The Brigade recouped $6,900.00 through the sale of the retired International Acco cab chassis.

New brigade-owned truck

49


1998 Ration packs 17 Mar - Ration packs were provided by the CFA. These packs were for the use of Brigade members out on the fire ground to replenish fluids and food until meal breaks could be organised. After years of involvement in the Maldon Easter Monday Sports Events at the old Maldon racetrack, the Brigade decided to end this commitment. In the past this activity was a major fundraiser for the Brigade.

30 Jul - New regulation laws on food handling restricted brigades catering for social activities, and stopped the supply of food to the fire ground by Brigade Ladies’ Committees. At the Annual Xmas BBQ a great crowd of 180 adults and 50 children attended.

1999 Long Service awards for Ladies Committee

5 Oct - Ladies Committee members were recognised at a Brigade function with the presentation of Long Service badges.

5 Oct - Low water warning systems were fitted to all CFA and Brigade owned tankers. This was to warn crews about water levels in the tanker in case it was required for personal protection.

The Committee members pictured Left are: Bev Butcher, Pam Harvey, Wendy Merlo, Loris Davies, Diane Shelton and Glenyse Walters

50


2001 Skills recognition 21 Feb - Minimum Skills Training was introduced by the CFA to be completed by all active Brigade members. 34 members completed their training.

1 Nov - The CFA provided the Brigade with two new water tanks and two outdoor toilets with running water and lights.

2002 North East Victoria fires Brigade members and tanker attend fires in North East Victoria. During this time the CFA tanker was away for two months, however, cover within the Brigade area was still maintained by the Brigade-owned tanker and Brigade personnel.

It was a very dry year – a severe drought had set in. Fire spotters were up in the towers by October. Already more turnouts to fires than in a normal season. More trucks required to turnout in support due to lack of water. 21 May - The Brigade acknowledged its 60th birthday at a Brigade meeting.

2004 Call 000 6 Apr - The CFA ERS phone system for alerting Brigade members was phased out. Spectrum Country Cad was to take over with seven phone lines allocated to the Brigade and placed in strategic homes in various locations.

The Community to dial OOO to report Fires and Incidents. Still experiencing dry conditions, no water in Muckleford Creek and dams low.

2005 OOO call centres 20 Apr - The CFA has established Callout Centres – Vic Fire has taken over receiving all reports of fire and turnout of Brigades by radio and pages.

51


2006 Pagers 16 May - All active Brigade members received pages for alerting of turnouts.

The Brigade attended 40 fires and incidents over the 12 month period, including the major Grampians fire.

2007 Maldon Community Bank support 21 Nov - The Brigade made application to the Maldon Community Bank (Bendigo Bank) for an amount of $26,000 to assist in purchasing a new cab chassis, after receiving information from the

CFA that the Brigade was awarded Community Support and Essential Services Program (CSESP) funding to upgrade the Brigade-owned tanker to a new unit. The application was approved.

2009 Black Saturday Fires Very dry with long spells of hot weather. Fires throughout the whole State of Victoria. Fire season was very hectic during January and February. 7th February - Black Saturday Fires – Victoria’s worst natural disaster. Several major fires occurred on this day including Bendigo, Redesdale, Kilmore to Kinglake and Marysville, North East Victoria, Gippsland and Western District, resulting in 173 deaths, destroying 2,029 houses and burning 4,500 sq kilometres of land. 52

Walmer Brigade was involved for many days at the Redesdale fire and two weeks later spent three days and nights at a major fire at Daylesford. Members and families made themselves available through very difficult times. Submissions were made to the Black Saturday Royal Commission by the Brigade and Group.


2010 Community-owned tanker New Brigade-owned tanker arrived. New Hino 4x4 twin cab with refurbished CFA tanker back with many extras - protective spray system, Class A Foam, electric prime pump, live reel, etc. Cost to Brigade was $56,568.50, and with CSESP Funding the truck is worth in excess of $150,000.00.

The Brigade held an afternoon tea for the official handover and commissioning of the Brigade-owned tanker. The afternoon was attended by State Government members, CFA and Maldon Community Bank dignitaries, Brigade and community members.

Handover and commissioning of the Brigade-owned tanker

Below: Andrew Chapman (Captain 1989 - 2011) at the handover.

53


2010 Smaller Group Due to redistribution of Regional Boundaries and Brigades by the CFA, the Maldon Group now consists of only three Brigades – Baringhup, Maldon and Walmer. Members continue to assist with the New Years Eve BBQ at the Maldon Gun Club after a number of years. A generous donation is

received by the Brigade each year. The Brigade participated in the Goldfields Historic Tourist Railway Picnic held at Muckleford in the Spring. The tourist train continues to cause concern with a number of fires started during the fire season.

2010

The Annual Xmas BBQ The Annual Xmas BBQ still receives strong support from the Community. The attendance of the Maldon Brass Band as part of the entertainment is greatly appreciated by all.

Left: Sharing food and Xmas cheer

54

Left: The memorable fundraising auction.

Right: Lots of social catching up with friends, family and neighbours; new and old


2010

Awards

3 Dec - The Brigade acknowledged the dedication and service of members at the Annual Xmas BBQ. Special awards were given to five long serving members. The Awards were given for Distinguished and Diligent Service.

Recipients of the National Medal presented by CFA Board Member, Mark Byatt, were (pictured below): Ian McQueen, Jack Long, Les Davies, Bruce McGregor and Andrew Chapman.

55


2010

Long Service Certificates and Medals Long Service Awards were also received by a large number of members.

56

Sue Gork 5 Year Certificate

Justin Chapman 5 Year Certificate

Jeff Huzzey 5 Year Certificate

Amanda Long 10 Year Medal

Darren Elliot 10 Year Medal

Ben Gork 10 Year Medal

Peter Gork 10 Year Medal

Leo Spencer 10 Year Medal

Ian Clark 15 Year Medal

Renee Thompson 20 Year Medal

Jason McGregor 25 Year Medal

Ian Long 25 Year Medal

Not pictured: Mitch Kemp - 10 Year Medal; Ellen Lloyd - 10 Year Medal; Steven McQueen - 10 Year Medal; Ben Thompson - 10 Year Medal; John Hayes - 20 Year Medal; Shane O’Byrne - 25 Year Medal


Long Service Certificates and Medals Continued

Andrew Chapman 25 Year Medal

Bruce McGregor 30 Year Medal

Peter Merlo 30 Year Medal

Eddie Harvey 35 Year Medal

Andrew Hough 35 Year Medal

Ray Smart 40 Year Medal

Ian McQueen 50 Year Medal

Merv Walters 50 Year Medal

Loris Davies 55 Year Medal

Les Davies 55 Year Medal

Bill Davies 55 Year Medal

Jack Long 60 Year Medal

Not pictured: Graeme O’Byrne - 30 Year Medal; Stewart Ashby - 30 Year Medal; Michael O’Byrne - 35 Year Medal; Alan Walters - 45 Year Medal. 57


2011

Wet season 23 May - An exceptionally wet summer – reasonably quiet fire season. The Brigade played an active role in the resultant local flooding, rescuing cars and people and diverting traffic around flood water.

58


2011

Wet season

59


Roles & Leadership Captains:

Presidents:

1942 - 1962 1962 - 1989 1989 - 2011 2011

1942 - 1945 Cr. Sharp 1942-1955 Cr. C.W. Talbot 1945 - 1960 Cr. Ottrey 1955-1960 Mr. N. Talbot 1960 - 1963 Cr. N. Talbot 1960-1963 Mr. S. Walters 1963 - 1967 Mr. R. Sharp 1963-1967 Mr. E.G. Ottrey 1967 - 1975 Mr. R. Talbot 1967-1973 Mr. H. Talbot 1975 - 1979 Mr. B. Butcher 1973-1975 Mr. L. Davies 1979 - 1981 Mr. J. Bolton 1975-1979 Mr. H. Talbot 1981 - 1987 Mr. B. McGregor 1979-1981 Mr. J. Ashby 1987 - 1997 Mr. I . Shelton 1981-1983 Mr. J. Bolton 1997 - 2003 Mr. I. Clark 1983-2003 Mr. M. Walters 2003 - 2009 Mr. I. Brooks 2003-2005 Mr. J. Lendon 2009 - Mr. M. Walters 2005- Mr. I. McQueen

Mr. R.E. Sharp Mr. W.E. Davies Mr. A. Chapman Mr. J. Williams

Vice Presidents:

Secretary/Treasurers: Apparatus Officers: 1942-1947 Cr. Williams 1944-1951 Mr. J. Geddes 1947-1963 Mr. H. Talbot 1951-1953 Mr. W.R. Sharp 1953-1955 Mr. J. Long 1963-1971 Mr. I. McQueen 1955-1957 Mr. K. Long 1971-1974 Mr. R. Davies 1957-1962 Mr. W.E. Davies 1974-1977 Mr. O. Hosking 1962-1967 Mr. D. Sharp 1977-1989 Mr. N. Wilson 1967-1971 Mr. A. Walters 1989-1997 Mr. B. Thomas 1971-1979 Mr. A. Stewart 1997-2005 Mrs. R. Thompson 1979-1981 Mr. B. Droney 2005-2007 Mr. D. Sherry 1981-1983 Mr. A. Stewart 2007-2009 Mr. B. Gork Mr. J. Huzzey & Ms P. Calwell 1983-1993 Mr. E. Harvey 2009- 1993-1997 Mr. D. Murdoch

60


Roles & Leadership Communications Officers: 1953 - 1960 1960 - 1963 1963 - 1973 1973 - 1985 1985 - 1997 1997 - 1999 1999 -

Mr. J. Geddes Cr. N. Talbot Mr. I. McDonald Mr. B. Butcher Mr. A. Walters Mr. A. Hough Mrs. M. Long

Assistant Comms Officers: 1967 - 1969 1969 - 1973 1973 - 1979 1979 - 1981

Mr. B. Droney Mr. B. Butcher Mr. O. Hosking Mr. I. Clarke

1942 - 1953 1942 - 1951 1944 - 1950 1944 - 1946 1946 - 1950 1953 - 1956 1955 - 1957 1958 - 1971 1967 - 1986 1973 - 1993 1987 - 1992 1993 - 1997 - 1998 2003 - 2005 2009 - 2011

Mr. J. Geddes Mr. W.J. Towers Mr. J. Hague Mr. J. Schultz Mr. W. Bickford Mr. R. Murdoch Mr. G.H. Fitzpatrick Mr. J. Woodlock Mr. L. Davies Mr. I. McQueen Mr. G. Clark Mr. E. Harvey Mr. A. Walters Mr. G. Blume Mr. J. Williams

Lieutenants: 1942 - 1950 Mr. H. Piestch 1942 - 1955 Mr. R. McGregor 1944 - 1953 Mr. H. Seelenmeyer 1944 - 1950 Mr. E. Bickford 1944 - 1950 Mr. H. Hinch 1951 - 1955 & 1957 - 1963 Mr. S. Walters 1955 - 1983 Mr. J. Long 1956 - 1958 Mr. F.E. Old 1963 - 1967 Mr. B. Droney 1971 - 1973 Mr. O. Hosking 1986 - 1989 Mr. A. Chapman 1989 - 2009 Mr. G. O’Byrne 1993 - 1997 & 1983 - 1987 Mr. I. Long 1999 - 2003 Mr. S. McQueen 2005 - Mr. P. Merlo

61


Our Future Jason Williams, Captain 2011 – As newly appointed Captain, I would like to revitalize the Brigade by encouraging members from the community to join up. I see this a way of keeping Walmer on the map for future generations. A recent survey has indicated that there are now 330 homes in the Brigade area, an increase from 42 homes in 1970. The Brigade membership currently stands at 69 of which 36 are active fire fighters with Minimum Skills accreditation. Six new members and two Auxiliary members completed Minimum Skills accreditation Training this year and the Brigade has a further 27 support members. We welcome new and past members to the Walmer Fire Brigade.

New residents are encouraged to explore the Brigade as a way to make friends, meet neighbours and to get to know the local area. We’d like to encourage past members to continue sharing their local knowledge and experience. Our aim, always, is to turn out to a reported fire or incident as quickly as possible to keep any damage to a minimum or to provide early assistance when required. We need your support to see this happen efficiently and effectively, and with pride. A return to the Summer members roster has been drawn up, so drop into the Station 10am each Sunday morning during the fire season to chat with members, have a look around, and get to know your local fire Brigade.

Left: Captain Jason Williams

Right: New and current members in training for Minimum Skills On truck: Leanne Williams, Eddie Harvey (Training Officer) Front: Alan McIntyre, Heather Alderman, Phillippa Calwell, Deanna Neville Not pictured: Janey Jackson & Damian Martin

62

ffff

New and current members of the Brigade have recently undertaken Minimum Skills training. A handful of nights covering theory of fire behaviour, management and safety, the trainees will soon be ready for this coming fire season following pratical examination. It’s a social connection for some, and a sense of duty to family, property and community. And a great way to build personal and shared knowledge, and respect, for fire fighting.


Photo acknowledgements Page Source Cover 1 5 6 7 8 9 & 10 11 12 13 15 17 18 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

64

Photo taken by I. Pollard Photo supplied by L. Long Photo supplied by L. Long Photo supplied by C. O’Byrne Photo supplied by W. Merlo Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 Constitution supplied by Walmer Brigade Photo supplied by C. O’Byrne Photo taken by H. Rice Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 Photo taken by J. Hough, second photo supplied by C. O’Byrne Photo supplied L. Long Photos supplied by C. O’Byrne & L. Long Photo supplied by C. O’Byrne Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 Cartoon created by C. Wojniusz, 2011 Photo supplied by L. McQueen, photos taken by H. Rice (3) Bendigo Advertiser, supplied by L. Long Photos supplied by L. Davies, C. O’Byrne, H. Rice Photos supplied by H. Rice, C. O’Byrne, W. Merlo, H. Rice, cartoon created by C. Wojniusz, 2011 Roster supplied by Walmer Brigade Photo supplied by C. O’Byrne Photo taken by J. Hough, photo supplied by L. Long Photo taken by H. Rice Photo taken by D. Walker, 2010

31 32 33

Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 Photo supplied by W. Davies

34 & 35 Bendigo Advertiser, supplied by W. Davies 37 Photo taken by H. Rice Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 38 39 Photo taken by J. Hough, 2011 40 Photo taken by H. Rice 41 Photos supplied by W. Davies 42 Photo supplied by W. Davies, cartoon created by D. Neville, 2011 43 Map supplied by W. Davies 45 Photo taken by H. Rice, J. Hough 46 Photo supplied by W. Rice 47 Photo taken by J. Hough Photo taken by R. Thompson, L. Long, 2010 48 49 Photo supplied by W. Davies, J. Hough Photo taken by H. Rice 50 53 Photo taken by D. Walker,, 2010 Photos taken by J. Hough, 2010 54 Photos taken by J. Hough, 2010 55 56 & 57 Photo series taken by J. Hough, 2010 Photo by J. Hough, 2011 58 Photo by J. Hough, 2011 59 Photo taken by R. Thompson, Deanna 62 63 Photo supplied by C.O’Byrne


Walmer Fire Brigade

Our Past and Our Future 1942 – 2011


Walmer Fire Brigade