FIRST METHODIST DOWNTOWN
Please review available Summer of Service projects below options are for both individuals and groups. Select your project on the bottom portion, tear off and return to your Sunday School packet or the Welcome Center. Keep this half for your information. Questions? Contact the Missions Office at 832-668-1819 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHURCHWIDE OPPORTUNITIES THAI CARE PACKAGES JUNE
SCHOOL SUPPLIES JULY
Each Sunday in June, bring items for our team to take to Burmese refugee children this summer. Place them in the 3rd Floor collection bins.
Each Sunday in July, bring school supplies for our annual drive benefiting Port Houston Elementary. Place them in the 3rd Floor collection bins. We’ll also be collecting gently used backpacks for Lifeline Ministry.
• notepads • pens • pencils • stickers • pencil sharpener We’ll meet after worship JUNE 29 to put them all together.
• pens • pencils • backpacks • construction paper • notebook paper • graph paper • rulers
• markers • crayons • colored pencils • supplies box • highlighters • scissors • erasers
We’ll meet after worship JULY 27 to assemble school packs.
LIFELINE MINISTRY AUGUST Learn what it’s like to help our homeless/transient brothers and sisters through Lifeline Ministry. SUNDAY, AUGUST 10, enjoy a pizza lunch before touring Lifeline. Put together sack lunches and hygiene kits that will be distributed to Lifeline clients. Great project for families. Each Sunday in August, bring gently used clothing for our Burmese refugee friends. Place them in the 3rd Floor collection bins.
FOR INDIVIDUALS/FAMILIES PORT HOUSTON Driver to/from Port Houston/VBS Downtown - Any day, M-F, June 16-20 Driver to/from Port Houston/Pine Cove Camp Downtown - Any day, M-F, July 7-11 Administrative support at NIA community center - update database, help with mailings, etc. Chaperone pool party @ Quillian Sunday, Aug. 10 Pass out school supplies in Port Houston - Sunday, Aug. 24
CHRISTIAN ALLIANCE Inventory warehouse supplies Wednesday, June 11 Sort medical supplies - Saturday, June 14 Inventory warehouse supplies Saturday, June 21
WESLEY COMMUNITY CENTER
Distribute groceries to needy families at Food Fair - Saturday, June 19 Distribute groceries to needy families at Food Fair - Saturday, July 19 Distribute groceries to needy families at Food Fair - Saturday, Aug. 16
GOOD STEWARD Sort books at the Houston Food Bank to help builds libraries in Africa Saturday, July 19, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
3RD SUNDAY FOOD DRIVE Help provide important necessities to people in our community through the 3rd Sunday Food Drive benefitting Lifeline Ministry - June 15, July 20, Aug. 17
CHANGE CANS Please continue collecting change at your home. When your change can is full, bring it to the Welcome Center, empty it and take it home again. Just the little change we have around our homes can help provide Bible translation for people without Scripture.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW, DETACH AND RETURN TO THE WELCOME CENTER. SELECT YOUR PROJECT - WRITE THE DATE OR DESCRIPTOR IN THE BLANK TO THE RIGHT. Name: Phone: Email:
Port Houston Christian All. Wesley Good Steward
FOR GROUPS AND CLASSES PORT HOUSTON
Prepare and serve lunch for 50 - Any day, Tuesday - Friday, July 15 - August 8, 11:30 a.m. Pass out school supplies in Port Houston Sunday, August 24
LIFE CENTER FOR THE HOMELESS Install runner board on ramps (carpentry skills needed) Repair roof leak on dorms Build fence around Life Center property - materials must be donated Steam-clean Life Center facility Prepare and share a meal with Life Center residents
inventory warehouse supplies Wednesday, June 11 Sort medical supplies - Saturday, June 14 Inventory warehouse supplies Saturday, June 21
GOOD STEWARD Sort books at the Houston Food Bank to help builds libraries in Africa - Saturday, July 19, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
SEAFARER’S CENTER Plan/host game night at Seafarer’s Center & share a meal with the Seafarers
Other Creative Mission Ideas for Groups, Families and Individuals • Serve once a month at a local mission with your class or family (many opportunities in Mission Booklet). • Mentor an elementary school child. • Go on a mission trip. • Write a letter to someone in prison. • Become an Online Missionary: www. globalmediaoutreach.com. • Participate in a home repair project. • Become a pen pal to one of our missionary families. • Purchase Fair Trade products to help fight human trafficking: www.tenthousandvillages.com
• Sponsor a Burmese refugee child for $40 a month. • Go through family clothing and remove items that you have outgrown and take them to an assistance ministry. If you have time, stay at the assistance ministry and help with clothes sorting. • Lead your family to have a work day for an elderly person in your neighborhood who may need help with yard work or other chores. • Volunteer one day at a homeless shelter. • Invite a family from another country who lives in your neighborhood to a meal or family outing. See if they need anything to help them get settled in the States. Invite them to church with you.
• Make bag lunches for the homeless at a nearby shelter. • Organize a clean up day at a local park, playground or school. • Find a need and meet it. We are all on social media and see need daily. Did a friend’s house burn down? Take supplies. Someone sick? Take a meal. • Put together a care package for a missionary or member of the military. • Drop baby supplies (diapers, wipes, formula, etc.) off at a crisis pregnancy center. Most of these places also take used baby clothes and equipment to help out new moms. • Get email prayer points for unreached people each day: http://unreachedoftheday.org/
Share God's love through local service this summer! PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW, DETACH AND RETURN TO THE WELCOME CENTER. WRITE THE DATE OR A DESCRIPTOR OF YOUR PROJECT SELECTION IN THE BLANK. Name: