Page 1



It’s time to move Moving house can be complicated with a long list of to do’s. The following is a comprehensive, but not exhaustive, guide for you to use. Items marked with an asterisk (*) are things you are obliged to do by law. The list of other people and organisations that you should or may have to notify is long and will vary from person to person, but we hope this will make your move much easier.


Take an inventory of your possessions and work out:

* What you are taking with you you are not taking with you that must be * What either disposed of or put into storage * What you are leaving behind, if anything Logistics

Work out the best way to move the possessions you are taking with you. The job will inevitably require a lot of muscle, packing materials and one or more heavy vehicles. It’s a big job, consider if you will do it or if it is best left to the professionals.

Packing and unpacking

If you can’t or don’t want to do all of the packing and unpacking yourself, you can get a professional packing service to help or do it all for you. Subject to cost constraints, it makes a lot of sense to let the professionals do the packing because they should have both the expertise and the packing materials required to do the job efficiently. It makes more sense for you to do some or all of the unpacking because you can generally do it at your own pace, and after all, only you know where all the bits and pieces go. The most important unpacking rule is that you should start with the important stuff. Get the perishables in the fridge, get the bed set up and made, and get the kitchen and bathroom basics in place. Prepare a floor plan of your new home and work out where heavy items like furniture should go. Give a copy to the removalist to minimize the amount of heavy lifting and moving you need to do later.

Moving guarantees and insurance

Packing, moving and unpacking your possessions exposes you to the risk of damage or loss. Some risks may be covered by guarantees from the removalist, for example regarding breakages. Others may be covered by insurance. Check your existing home contents policy to determine the extent of your insurance cover, and be aware that the removalist may exclude liability for breakages where you do the packing or unpacking.


Get quotes and copies of the documentation from a couple of reputable removalists. If you know someone who has moved recently, see if they are prepared to recommend someone to you. You can also contact the Australian Furniture Removers Association. Make sure all quotes are provided obligation free and ask: How they pack delicate items like glassware, hanging clothes and paintings


they label boxes and other items and whether * How they provide a guarantee against breakages they offer, or can arrange any moving * Whether insurance cover that you may require. If you are doing some of the packing or unpacking yourself, also ask if they can supply packing materials and boxes, and check the arrangements for collection of the boxes after the move. Review the quotes and documentation, taking into account any exclusions of liability, guarantees against breakages and insurance cover (including the level of any excess) and whether GST and the cost of insurance, boxes, packing materials etc. is included in the quote. Select and book the preferred removalist well in advance.


What not to forget

Anything that’s out of sight may be out of mind, particularly if it’s been tucked away for a while. Consider whether anything you have lent, hidden, put into storage or safekeeping, or put in for repair that needs to be collected or relocated, especially if you are moving far away.

* Cash or other hidden valuables and pieces stored in the attic and under the * Bits house * Wills and other important legal documents dental, immunisation and hospital * Medical, records What not to take

Leave behind anything that could be important to the new owner or occupant such as:

* All the keys * The remote control for the garage doors documentation for fixtures like the air * The conditioning unit, water heater, pool filter, garage door etc.


Spare tiles and paint.

Council and water rates

If you are buying or selling a freehold property your conveyancer or solicitor will generally ensure that the relevant Council is notified of the change of ownership. Check with your lawyer that this is the case. An adjustment will usually be made at settlement to reflect any prepayments or arrears. The same arrangements may apply to water rates, so again check with your lawyer. If you are renting, Council and water rates are generally the responsibility of the landlord.


Contact your electricity, gas and telephone providers to have the services disconnected and advise the supplier of your new address. They usually require up to 5 business days notice in advance. Someone may come out to read the relevant meters or you may be asked to take the readings yourself and advise the result over the telephone. Final accounts will usually be sent to your new address or settled over the phone by credit card.

* Electricity disconnected * Gas disconnected * Telephone disconnected Arrange to have the required services connected to your new home. Again, they usually require up to 5 business days notice in advance. In some cases you may have a choice of service providers to choose from, so shop around.

* Electricity connected * Gas connected * Telephone connected Mobile telephone

Notify your service provider of your new address for billing purposes and confirm whether the service extends to the area where you are moving.

* Mobile phones Internet service provider

Check whether you will be able to access your existing Internet Service Provider (‘ISP’) from your new address. If you can’t, check the terms of your current agreement regarding termination.

* Internet Cable and pay TV

Check the terms of your current agreement regarding termination. A penalty may be payable if you terminate the contract part way through an agreed fixed term. Consider having cable or satellite TV connected to your new home.

* Foxtel/Cable


One of the most important unpacking rules is that you should start with the important things. Get the perishables in the fridge, the bed set up and the kitchen


basics in place.



Australia Post offers a Mail Redirection service. Be sure to notify everyone that keeps sending things to your old address. If important items are still being sent to your old address when the redirection period is close to expiring, consider extending it.

* Mail redirected * Magazine subscriptions Home and contents insurance

You generally only need to take out your own home insurance policy if you directly own a non-strata title freehold property.


Home insurance

* Contents insurance You can either take out a new contents policy or arrange to have your existing policy transferred to your new address.

Own Refunds

If any of your current insurance policies become redundant when you move, terminate them and apply for a pro-rata refund of the premiums you paid.

Family and friends

Notify your family and friends of your move. You can use our mailing cards, send e-mails, e-cards, telephone, or any other way you can think of.

* Deliveries * Newspaper delivery * Milk and bread deliveries Car

If you are moving interstate, you will need to investigate the registration and licensing requirements in the new jurisdiction.

* Registration* * Drivers license* * Compulsory third party insurance * Comprehensive insurance * Motoring associations


Advise health institutions of change of address

* Medicare Australia* health fund (HCF, NIB, MBF, Medibank * Private Private) * Doctor * Dentist * Podiatrist * Optometrist * Hospital * Baby health centre

Other finance and investments Advise change of address

* Bank, building society or credit union accounts* * Credit cards * Department store cards * Hire purchase companies * Life insurance * Superannuation fund * Other creditors ATO Advise change of address


Advise change of address

* Associations * Social clubs * Lottery registration * Children’s activities * Sporting clubs * Public library Professionals Advise change of address

* Employers * Accountant * Lawyer * Broker * Financial planner * Fund manager

Australian Taxation Office must be notified of * The your change of address*

Electoral Rolls Advise change of address you change your address you may need * When to complete a new electoral enrolment form *

Centrelink Advise change of address

* Age/invalid/repatriation pensions* * Seniors card* * Department of veterans’ affairs* * Family assistance * Education

Advise change of address

* Day care/kindergarten * Schools * University * Part time, evening & correspondence courses * Apprenticeship commission 6

Turning the home of your dreams into a reality is easier if you’re prepared. IMPORTANT NOTICE: The information contained within this book has been provided in good faith to assist you with some of the questions you may have property. It is by no means meant to be definitive solution to all possible queries as the actual answers may vary with individual situations. If you have any doubts about any matter you should speak to your legal representative about your specific query. Due to the variations in individual circumstances, we cannot accept any responsibility for any misunderstanding that may result from the information provided herewith. However, please do not hesitate to contact our office for any specific queries or assistance you may require and we will do everything possible to provide the information you seek or else recommend who you should speak to for an answer.

Address: 1/55 Kembla St, Wollongong Phone: 4226 6055

Things To Do When Moving House  
Things To Do When Moving House