START UP – Top Page 50 – Type 1 Create a word web around the following three words: • preamble -‐ an introduc,on • ar6cles -‐ Separate clause/paragraph of a legal document • Amendments -‐ changes (12 thoughts) amendments preamble
PAGE 51 Guiding Principles of our Cons6tu6on 1. Federalism – power is divided between a central government and a smaller regional governments.
2. popular sovereignty – the belief that the people are the ul,mate source of authority of the government. “We the people…” -‐ Preamble “ The House of Representa,ves shall be composed of members chosen…by the people…” -‐Ar,cle I, Sec,on 2
3. separa6on of powers-‐ the idea that the powers of government should be split between two or more independent branches to prevent any one person or group from gaining too much power. (checks & balances)
“ He [the president] shall have Power…to make Trea,es, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur.” – Ar;cle II, Sec;on 2
4. Individual rights – The rights and liber,es that can be claimed by individuals by virtue of being human. Such rights are also some,mes referred to as natural or human rights. “ The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury.” –Ar;cle III, Sec;on II.
Think back to Monday and the case of Dwight Lopez…
Hamdi v. Rumsfeld
Where else in our Cons,tu,on are our individual rights protected? -‐ Bill of Rights -‐ 5th & 14th Amendment -‐ …the right to? -‐ due process -‐ no person can be deprived of life, liberty, or property without a fair legal procedure.
Yasir Esam Hamdi
Donald Rumsfeld Sec. of Defense 2001-‐2006
REFLECTION – BoQom ½ 50 – Type 2 1. Based on your understanding of the Cons,tu,on, does the execu6ve branch have the power to suspend a ci6zen’s civil rights during 6mes of war? – (back your opinion with 1 + clause in the cons,tu,on)
2. Predict what the Supreme Court will decide. 3. Were you surprised by the outcome? Why or why not? 4. Were you surprised by my “extra info” of what happened to Hamdi a^er the trial? Why or why not?
● How and why did the framers distribute power in the Cons,tu,on? ● How do modern circumstances present challenges to carrying out the original inten,ons of the Cons,tu,on? ● Do you think the Cons,tu,on s,ll works today? Why or why not?