Ethelbert Credit Union Ethelbert Credit Union got its start in the mid1940s. The fledgling credit union was run from the homes of various area residents until 1951, when an office was opened in the R.M. of Ethelbert building with William Paziuk serving as manager. As the financial institution grew over the years, the office moved to Burdeny Garage, then the National Grain elevator. In the fall of 1964 a building was constructed that would be home to the Ethelbert Credit Union for years to come. In the decades that followed, Ethelbert Credit Union flourished — as an active member of the community, involved in events and supporting the people of the area, and as a provider of a wide range of financial services to its members.
Combining the Best of Each The decision to amalgamate wasn’t one that was arrived at lightly. Catalyst president and general manager Ron Hedley explains. “Sustainability —making sure we’re well positioned for generations to come — was a huge factor in our decision to amalgamate. Our industry is very competitive, highly regulated and becoming more technology-driven every day. The advantages of scale had become too significant to disregard, and our members agreed that joining forces was the best way to go (by voting overwhelmingly in favour last fall).” “It’s also about working together to provide excellent services and the latest in technology,” he adds. “We looked at the strengths we each brought to the table and built on them. Some of our members will have access to services that weren’t available to them before, like e-statements and mobile banking.” While being a larger financial institution allows Catalyst to stay on the leading edge in offering the latest and best services, they are still agile enough to be responsive to each member’s personal
Richard Dereniwski (Chairperson of Catalyst Credit Union Board