Saundersville, Grafton, MA Walking Tour
The oldest house on Elmwood Street is at 16 Elmwood Street which is also one of the oldest houses in South Grafton. The 5 bay hip roofed federal building was once the farmstead of the Holbrook family until the late 19th century. Holbrook was also involved with textile manufacturing using the water privilege in South Grafton.
19 Elmwood is a later infill development which is a small cross gambrel version of a Colonial Revival cottage.
21-23 Elmwood is a multi-family double house with a high, hipped roof that had clapboard but is now covered with shingles. It is an early 20th century home. (Photo not available) Vigeant's Bakery was located at 54 Elmwood Street, a Queen Anne double floor building that used to have a home on the second floor above the bakery. It was located near the railroad and the canal and was built in the early 20th century.
The Pleasant Street Bridge, a two span stone arch, was built in 1907 and Blackstone Canal 1828.
Leland's Landing was a stopover on the Blackstone Canal. This Georgian house, at 165 Pleasant Street, was built around 1730 and was at one time, used as a store and home along the canal.
The JW Leland House at 169 Pleasant Street was a farmstead that was built before the Saunders Cotton Mill. It is a two and a half story home with an ell at the back.
6 Canal Street built in 1850 along the Blackstone River owned by G, Madigan.
A typical early twentieth century double decker duplex can be seen at 183 Pleasant Street.
184 Pleasant Street built between 1870 and 1898.
185 Pleasant Street was the home of the Saundersville Grammar School, but it is now multi-family housing. This is a three and 3/4 story gable end building and appears on the 1870 map..
188 Pleasant Street has been knocked down for new development.
189 Pleasant Street was the only 6 unit multi-family house built by Saunders Cotton Mill. It still has its original clapboard and form and is vernacular Greek and Colonial revival style.
The Congregational Parsonage was located at 6 Messier Street which is a 2 1/2 story Second Empire style with mansard roof. Although it was originally the parsonage for the Saundersville Congregational Church, it became the home for the widow of Esex Saunders until she died in 1896. Then, it once again became the parsonage.
Some of the earliest constructed Saunders Mill houses are located at 179, 181, 183, 185 Main Street. They are 2 1/2 story homes with 5 bays and pitched roofs.
185 Main Street is the most intact, although all of these homes have been altered, at least with their siding.
Saundersville Post Office, Caseyâ€™s Store, and Congregational Church on 2 Streets.
floor at corner of Main and Elmwood
The Esex Saunders home at 176 Main Street was built in 1866-67 for the mill owner. It is an Italianate design built with a guard house on the hill to make sure that the workers could all be seen doing their jobs. Its interior has some very expensive chestnut and black walnut woodwork and flooring. When Esex Saunders died in 1893, this home housed some of the mill superintendents. Views from Elmwood and Main Streets.
Saundersville Cotton Mill at early and later stages of development.
Former Saundersville Railroad Depot/Station set on Elmwood Street, formerly Depot Street.
Providence & Worcester RR Bridge over the Blackstone River off Elmwood Street.
93 Elmwood Street appears on the 1870 map owned by JJ Powers.
101 Elmwood Street appears on the 1870 map owned by Mrs. B. Lathe.
103 Elmwood Street was built by the Saunders Cotton Mill as a duplex in Italianate design. It is one of the oldest mill houses built by Saunders.
104-104A Elmwood is Grafton's ONLY example of Greco-Italianate vernacular style building. It was built as a boarding house to house the unmarried mill workers. The early 20th century house next door was probably built as a boarding house for the matrons.
106 Elmwood Street served as the Cotton Storehouse and later as a library and Social Club.
The Saundersville Walking Tour was compiled by Harry Bridge and Mrs. Parker's 4th Grade Class in the early 1990s. Mark Farrell added the photos and several more properties in 2012.