Farming in Roscommon Position of Roscommon farmers Cllr.
Position of Roscommon farmers • No. of farmers
• Average farm size
• Total direct payments
– SFP – REPS & DA – Forestry
€41 million €26 million €3 million
• Average entitlement value €239/ha Cllr.
Where does Roscommon fit? Position of Roscommon farmers • Part of Connacht • Public perception of poor farm land
• Reality somewhat different • We are the highest in Connacht with regard to SFP entitlements • Most intensive farming county in Connacht
Production in Roscommon Position of Roscommon farmers • Cattle & sheep • Mainly suckler cows
• Mainly mid-season factory lamb production • Farmers are inter-dependent on each other Cllr.
Where your income comes from Position of Roscommon farmers • Total on-farm output
• Total on-farm supports €70 million
• Your income is your cheque in the post
study farmers Position ofCase Roscommon • Teagasc E-profit Monitor outcome • Farmer with: – – – –
60ha 40 suckler cows 200 sheep 5ha tillage
• Farm income – 2% less than total EU payment Cllr.
Reform: bigoffarmers v small farmers farmers? Position Roscommon â€˘ We need to understand what is happening now with CAP reform is not about big farmers v small farmers - it has more to do with high hectare entitlements v low hectare entitlements â€˘ There are many farmers in Roscommon with small farms which are very intensive by Connacht standards and have very significant entitlements per hectare Cllr.
challenge farmers Position The of Roscommon • Farm gate prices need to cover production costs +
• Farmers react to market trends – sheep in the late 90s & suckler cows now • Interest in dairy farming • Economy needs agriculture • Targets 2020 Cllr.
Thankofyou for attending Position Roscommon farmers Cllr.