DAY 1: GIRL TIME
3 DAYS I NDEPEND E N C E
JUST FOR GIRLS
ITIN E RA R IE S
1 Hawthorn Bed and Breakfast
Shop, Dine, & Unwind GATHER YOUR BFFS for a full day at the Historic Independence Square in Independence, Missouri. Anchored in the center by the Truman Courthouse, the Square is a revitalized district filled with shopping, dining, and entertainment options.
1) Check into one of our charming bed and breakfasts and tour all of the luxurious amenities that await. As a guest in one of our many exceptional inns, you may find yourself sipping a glass of wine at the Albonée Country Inn and Winery or relaxing in the gardens at Hawthorn Bed and Breakfast. Regardless of which inn you choose, one thing is certain, you’ll find innkeepers who will pamper and spoil you. 2) Start your day with a fabulous customized crafting project at Be Here Now. This unique home decor and design center has everything from lighting and furniture to tabletop items and gifts. They even have designers on hand to help make your decorating dreams come true!
3) Let your creative mind rest and get your body moving as you make your way around the Square hunting for treasures and souvenirs to take home. This unique district is filled with antique shops, a Scandinavian boutique, an art gallery, and so much more.
4) All that creativity and shopping works up an appetite. Indulge on traditional Mexican cuisine at El Pico Mexican Restaurant, be whisked away to Italy at Café Verona, savor authentic German Cuisine at The Rheinland Restaurant, or head over to The Courthouse Exchange for some of the best sandwiches in town. With so many delicious restaurants on the Square, you won’t go hungry! 5) After lunch, enjoy a movie, popcorn, and nostalgia all at once at the Pharaoh Theater. This Art Deco-style movie house will take you down memory lane complete with a balcony and red velvet curtains. 6) Wrap up the night with a marvelous dinner at Ophelia’s, one of the finest restaurants on the Square. Ophelia’s combines a casual elegance with modern, seasonally inspired cuisine. The menu is creative, and the food is superb. INDEPENDENC E ITINERA R IES | D ISCOVE R T R U M A N
DAY 2: TASTE TOUR
I N D E P E N D E NCE ITIN E RAR IES | J UST FOR G I RLS
To the beautiful belongs an endless variety. It is seen not only in symmetry and elegance of form, in youth and health, but is often quite as fully apparent in decrepit old age. It is found in the cottage of the peasant as well as the palace of kings.
210 W. Truman Rd. Independence, MO 64050 (816) 325-7890, (800) 748-7323 VisitIndependence.com
- GEORGE CALEB BINGHAM
1 Pioneer Trails Adventure
Savor & Sip MOUTH-WATERING PLATES and notable wines await in Independence, Missouri. Today’s itinerary is guaranteed a full day of laughs and female bonding moments. 1) Girl time and wine go hand in hand. That is why - no girls getaway is complete without chic sipping and sightseeing at the Albonée Country Inn and Winery. This up-and-coming winery is nestled on a hillside overlooking the Little Blue Valley and features a nice selection of Missouri wines. 2) Next, make your way to Primary Colors Gallery located at the Historic Independence Square for a Paint and Wine experience. This hands-on activity will draw out your inner artist as you sip delicious wines. Wall worthy paintings aren’t guaranteed, however fun is!
DAY 3: A HISTORICAL JAUNT
3) Come dinnertime, put on your dresses and head over to Café Verona for a Martini flight and bold Italian flavors. The upscale restaurant is full of charm, creating the perfect ambience for a girls night on the town. Popular plates include the pistachio salmon, filet with mac-and cheese and steak Florentine.
Pioneer Woman INDEPENDENCE, MISSOURI, has always been a magnet for great leaders, risk-takers, dreamers, and doers. Embrace your inner pioneer woman and make history with your pals.
2 Bingham-Waggoner Estate
1) Start your morning by unleashing your spirit of adventure with a mule-drawn wagon ride with Pioneer Trails Adventures. Your very own Wagon Master and local historian will guide you back in time as you travel the same streets as Frank and Jesse James, President Truman, and early pioneer settlers.
3) See “the most princely house and the most comfortable home in the entire west,“ reported by the Kansas City Times in 1882. Built in 1881, the Vaile Mansion is one of the best examples of Second Empire-style architecture in the United States. Make sure to stop in the gift shop and peruse gifts and items that depict the graciousness of the Victorian Era.
2) Tour one of the most significant historical sites in western Missouri, the BinghamWaggoner Estate. The estate grounds were considered a shortcut on the road which later became part of the Santa Fe Trail. This well-preserved museum takes you back to the 1800s where history comes to life among the furniture, paintings, and decor.
4) After a long day of revisiting Independence’s past, unwind with your favorite wine and enjoy fine dining at Vivilore, an upscale American dining destination. The venue offers a full-service dining room and bar, art gallery, and antique store. Take in the beautiful, luscious green views in the courtyard, voted best courtyard in Kansas City.
3 Vaile Mansion