DAY 1: PRESIDENTIAL PAST
2 DAYS INDEPENDENCE
ITIN E RA RIE S
2 Historic Truman Courthouse
Discover an American Legend RETRACE THE STEPS OF HARRY S. TRUMAN, one of America's greatest and most beloved presidents. Follow this itinerary and get an in-depth view of the personal and family life of the 33rd President of the United States. 1) Check in at Ophelia’s Inn and get ready for a day of exploring. As a guest at Ophelia’s you’ll enjoy luxuriously furnished rooms, a freshly prepared hot breakfast, and convenient access to shopping, dining, and entertainment. 2) Start your Truman adventure at the Visitor Experience Center for a special welcome from the Independence Tourism Department and a tour of the Historic Truman Courthouse. Situated in the very heart of the Historic Square of Independence, MO, this attractive landmark preserves the life and work of Harry S. Truman, who once served as the Presiding Judge of Jackson County. 3) Grab lunch and a yummy shake at Clinton’s Soda Fountain to experience an authentic Soda Fountain. Decades ago, young Harry S. Truman’s first job was at Clinton’s pharmacy and soda fountain. Order Truman's favorite (butterscotch sundae with chocolate ice cream), or pick your own pleasure. 4) Work off that shake with a Truman Walking Tour or a tour of the First Presbyterian Church of Independence. Follow the 2.7-mile Truman Walking Trail, which was inspired by Truman’s walks throughout Independence. The trail contains 43 plaques embedded in the sidewalks throughout the National Historic Landmark District. See where Truman attended Sunday School at church, the same church where he would meet his future wife, Bess. 5) End your day with a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants in Historic Independence Square. Choose from a wide array of local flavor and multiple independently owned restaurants such as Café Verona, Rheinland Restaurant, and Square Pizza, just to name a few.
3 Clinton's Soda Fountain
5 Historic Independence Square INDEPENDENC E ITINERA R IES | D I SCOVE R T R U M A N
DAY 2: GET TO KNOW TRUMAN
I N D E P E N D E NCE ITIN E RAR IES | DISCOV E R TRU MA N
2 Truman Home
VISIT INDEPENDENCE 210 W. Truman Rd. Independence, MO 64050 (816) 325-7890, (800) 748-7323 VisitIndependence.com
6 A Little BBQ Joint
It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
-HARRY S. TRUMAN
Go Inside Truman’s Life & Work
TRUMAN WAS A MAN OF INTEGRITY who worked hard to accomplish his goals. Get a glimpse inside Truman’s life before and after his presidency and see what his everyday life was like.
the personal lives of the Truman family. Don’t miss the “At home with the Trumans” video to hear the stories of those who lived and worked there.
1) Make your way over to the National Park Service Historic Site to purchase admission tickets to the Truman Home. Here you can find essential information for your trip to the Home of the 33rd US President, watch an introductory video, and tour the museum.
3) Across the street, experience the self-guided tour of the Noland Home, where Harry S. Truman’s cousins lived. Learn about the relationship that developed as Truman would stay in the home of his relatives while he was getting more acquainted with Bess.
5) Conclude your Truman learning experience at the prestigious Harry S. Truman Library and Museum. See a replica of his Oval Office and the famous “The Buck Stops Here” sign. Don’t miss Truman’s office where he worked after his presidency, the museum store, and dozens of interactive and hands-on exhibits.
2) Next, tour the Truman Home, the house Harry S. Truman called home for more than five decades. With thousands of artifacts on display, the home is an insightful glimpse into
4) Fill your growling tummies with hearty comfort food at the Courthouse Exchange, located on the Historic Independence Square. The authentic pub atmosphere with rock walls, dark
6) Cap off the day with dinner at A Little BBQ Joint. This family-owned restaurant serves delicious, mouthwatering barbecue, house-made sauces and sides, and great customer service.
wood, and antique fixtures is the perfect place for down-home food, a cold beverage, and good conversation.