Page 1

Personal Project Page Development


•

I did like how subtle collage looked in this one but it wouldn’t have added much to the other pages and isn't really the direction I want to take my work.


The first image I actually built up quick before that actual ‘Welcome to the Night’ first image I blogged about. I left it after the first stage seen below because I felt it was the wrong image to start with, not providing enough detail to build up a strong process direction going forward.

Returned to it after the ‘Welcome to the Night’ first image- shows the build up in shape and colour, then colour refinement and detail added using photoshop.


•

Important to create a cohesive colour palette. Doing so allowed the process to become more efficient. Because I wanted the scenes to range from day to night throughout the book and I wanted to capture different seasons, it was important I had a good variety of colours that still all could work together. I wanted certain colours to continuously crop up throughout the book especially to bind it together- the darker turquoise for example.

•

I used Key Note on my Mac to copy and paste all of my images as I gradually built them all up together. As I did one I would want to go back to the other so putting them all in order together at whatever stage they were at helped to ensure they all worked together and complimented each other.


•

Extra illustrations for potential product design.


•

I enjoy making big scenes and thought it would be fun to put one into my book as a big pull out page. Encouraging the reader further to notice/take in the scene.


•

My scene needed resizing a little because I wanted it to work for both posters and for the book and potentially a 360 scene too. I had a few different versions of it, some without poetry, some longer, some taller.


Before this point I had 24 pages and I was happy with the result to the point where I ordered a copy from Blurb (view pdf in blog post below under ’24 page book- first attempt’ -copy also included in submission). I had done it with loads of time to spare (having stuck to my deadlines but still given myself room to enjoy and play). After about a week of reflection I started to worry that it could be criticised for being too short and not the standard 32 page picture book.

I had other poems I wanted to include, for example more of an introductory poem and more of a closing poem I thought would be nice. So with this in mind I decided to proceed and add 8 pages.


Built this page up but didn’t feel as thought it worked alongside my others or quite fit my narrative. Perhaps because it had a similar message to another poem I was using so it didn’t feel as though it moved the book forward.


•

Decided to go with a different poem and illustration all together, much preferred the composition of this one, felt more personal. While also offering a different perspective to those already in the book.


•

Felt in reflection that this page could be improved up on. Thought a more inventory style approach could offer a different perspective and keep the pace up.

Page development3  
Page development3  
Advertisement