Editorials Part 2 Process and Outcomes of Editorial #3
Concept: originally tried to use words from article like “mopping” and sponge to create a more personal piece but I felt it too friendly. Took a more direct shape based approach second illustrating the effects of an oil spill in the ocean.
I felt it was important in my later roughs to get the oil spill area as accurate as possible in my sketches to make it easier to build up in illustrator without confusing myself.
Started by using more natural colours and gradually got braver. The braver I am with colours the better the outcomes. I also love contrast and I find this gradually builds up too as I work.
I generally have a basic idea of colour (in this case I had blue, yellow and pink in mind) it just takes me a while to get the right tones to create the right atmosphere and depth.
Final Thoughts •
Like my colour choices for this piece, my colour work has definitely improved a lot since last year. I just need to keep being brave with it and pushing it.
I did also turn this piece into a gif (see below). When I was building it up in Illustrator I thought it could be really fun and quite eye catching if on a website as an editorial to have the oil colours rotating. I know having these moving editorials is becoming an increasing trend as well so I want to try and keep thinking of new ways to animate my work even if its just really subtle. I didn’t spend ages on the gif but I was pretty happy with it- it’s kind of trippy and a bit sickly but I think sickly is a good thing because its a horrible subject.