The Bulletin | Oct. 11, 2012
The Hive The Sunken Garden is located at the site of the Old Administration Building and the New Administration Building. Originally built in 1918, the current fountain was built in 1934 and later remodeled in 1978. William Allen White Library
Roosevelt Hall was used as a laboratory high school, Roosevelt High School, since 1953. In 1970, The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences took over the building after the students were slowly phased into the Emporia school system. The former gymnasium was renovated into a theater and a studio in 2002. Beach Music Hall
Plumb Hall was built in 1917. It was preceded by three administration buildings – the Stone Building on 7th and Constitution St., the Old Administration Building destroyed in a fire on Oct. 26, 1878, and the New Administration Building demolished with the completion of Plumb Hall in 1917. The building was named in honor of one of the original settlers of Emporia and Kansas Senator, Preston B. Plumb. King Hall
In 1922, the Memorial Union was chartered to commemorate students killed in World War I. Upon its completion in 1924, the Memorial Union became the first student union west of the Mississippi. In 2012, a $18.5 million dollar renovation was completed.
Abigail Morse, the oldest residence hall on campus, opened in 1924. Morse, for whom the building was named, was a former dean of women and a professor for three years. Additions made in 1952, 1961, and 1964 allow Morse Hall to accommodate 720 students.
Sources: University Catalog, 1976 Associated Student Government Handbook, University Website, University Special Collections and Archives, Student Handbook
Once a ravine, Wooster Lake, named for biology professor Lyman C. Wooster, was dammed to form a pond in 1917. To define the south end of the lake, an additional dam was constructed in 1922. The bridge over Wooster Lake was constructed in 1928 to carry steam pipes across the lake from the physical plant and connect Morse Hall with the cafeteria. The north side of the lake was not defined until an additional dam was constructed in 1936. Stormont Maintenance Center
Cast in Troy, N.Y. in 1855, the bell now known as Silent Joe did not get its name until 1940. Originally hung in the New Administration Building until the completion of Plumb Hall, a bell tower was created specifically to house the bell in August 1939. It was decided that the bell would only be rung after a school victory. The football team of 1939 was expected to be a “superteam” with one optimist expecting “the victory bell would be worn out halfway through the s eason.” The bell remained silent as young men went off to fight in World War II
Towers Residential Area
Butcher Education Center
Visser Hall, completed in 1979, “is one of the most modern education buildings in the c ountry.” Former president John E. Visser secured funding for this building that is named in his honor. Visser emphasized communication between students and the administration by establishing both the faculty and student senates.
Student Recreation Center
Infographic by Ellen Weis and Chris Krause