Page 1




Page 1


21022 xxx/evoeff/bd/vl




Page 2

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 1

The University of Dundee Student Handbook 2010-2011 CONTENTS


Colour key to information panels Additional note for all

‘Must Do’ Checklists


Section I –


Undergraduate only information


Postgraduate only information


Section II – Being a student at the University of Dundee 1. How the University works – what you need to know 2. Studying at the University 3. Assessment 4. Students Matter: your voice in the University 5. Looking ahead

5 10 14 15

18 18 20 28

Section IV – Official information 9. Rules, regulations and the law

30 30

Feedback on the Handbook


Printed on recyled paper. The University of Dundee actively encourages recycling.

Service or unit information


Section III - Working and living in Dundee 6. Working while a student 7. Living in Dundee 8. Information for international families

Please note that all of the fees referred to in this handbook are accurate at the time of going to press. However, these may be subject to change.

International student only information

Those headlines shown in red text indicate that there is further guidance available in a specific PLUS@Dundee information leaflet (samples above).



ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 2

‘Must do’ Checklists These are intended as a guide and may differ depending on whether you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student.



ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 3


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 4

Section I - Welcome

Your academic journey of Personal Learning for University Success at Dundee (PLUS@Dundee) We hope that this University of Dundee Student Handbook will: • • •

help you to understand how the University works provide you with the information you need to plan your study welcome you to our academic community.

The handbook has been organised to take you through the various stages that you will encounter as your studies progress: • • • • •

the practical aspects of what you need to do at the start of your first semester the activities related to your learning and assessment various support facilities that students may wish to use if the occasion arises detailed information that applies to international students and their families outlines of particular rules and regulations that underpin the activities of the University and your role as a student within it.

The University of Dundee is a large organisation and, with a community of more than 17,000 students, the whole institution could not work without the support of a significant number of people and services. Whoever we are, whatever our role, we all work towards your Personal Learning for University Success – PLUS@Dundee - is not an empty phrase but a whole experience that sets you off on your academic journey. Visit the website to find out more. We wish you well as a student member of the University.

Dr Ian K. Francis Academic Secretary August 2010



ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 5

Section II – Being a student at the University of Dundee 1. How the University works – what you need to know 1.1 Important dates: Academic Year 2010-11 Semester 1 attendance 13.9.10 - 17.12.10 Semester 2 attendance 17.1.11 - 27.5.10 Christmas vacation 20.12.10 - 14.1.11 Easter vacation 4.4.11 - 22.4.11 Welcome Week 2011 5.9.11 - 9.9.11 1.2 What you need to do to begin 1.2.1 Registering as a student Matriculation is the process of registering as a student at this University. You need to matriculate for each academic year that you study with us (Research Postgraduates: see green box on right). For undergraduates there are two stages to this process: Stage 1: • As a new student, firstly you have to meet with your Advisor of Studies. The date and time of this meeting will be given to you by your School. The purpose of the meeting is to confirm your course/module choices to ensure that your timetable is compatible with the credits you need to accumulate by the end of the current academic year. At this time your Advisor of Studies, Supervisor or School Official will sign your matriculation schedule. Stage 2: Go to the Bonar Hall (Number 2 on the campus map) to complete this process. You must bring with you: • your completed matriculation schedule signed by both you and your Advisor of Studies (in some cases, by another School officer) • your tuition fee or evidence that part, or all, of your University fees will be paid (that is, a letter from your Student Loans Company (SLC) or from Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) or another sponsor). If you have no final or definite information that fees will paid for by SAAS or your SLC, you should bring copies of relevant letters of application as proof that application for assistance with fees has been made. (Note that this section does not apply to Nursing and Midwifery students - see overleaf) • your birth certificate, passport, visa and biometric ID (if held) • examination certificates or notification of results slips (may be examined when you enter Bonar Hall) • a passport-sized photograph for your matriculation card (sometimes called an identity, ID or matric card), if you have not already provided such a photograph. • After matriculation go to an IT suite and ensure that you are able to log in and access the University’s IT network, including your University email and My Dundee.

The University Semester is counted as follows: Week 0 is Welcome Week, then Week 1, Week 2… and so on. Public Holidays: Note that the University is closed over the Christmas period and the public holidays of January 3rd and 4th 2011. Other public holidays do not apply. More detailed information on matriculation is available from the Registry: Web: If you have further questions: Phone: 01382 385390 Email: Location: 1 Airlie Place Number on campus map: 39 Open: Monday – Friday 9.00 – 16.30 enter via the driveway off the Perth Rd. Late arrivals: Note that if you do not matriculate by the time shown on your matriculation schedule, then you will have to pay a late fee of £70.00. However, if there is a good reason why you cannot matriculate on time, then you should notify the Student Records Officer who will make alternative arrangements for you. Email: Special Note: if you lose or damage your matriculation card, then a charge of £10.00 will be made for a replacement. You can obtain a replacement matriculation card from Registry (Number 39 on the campus map). Postgraduate Matriculation follows a different process: To matriculate, report to Bonar Hall (Number 2 on campus map) at the time and date given to you in your Admissions Letter or by the Postgraduate Office (for Research students). You will have received this either by email (overseas students) or by surface mail (UK students). Any student arriving after 15th September should visit Registry (Number 39 on the campus map) to matriculate.



ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 6

For nursing students: If you have been awarded a student loan for session 2010/11, the first payment will be paid directly into your bank account once you have matriculated. For new nursing and midwifery students, the first instalment of your bursary will be paid directly into your bank account. If your application for a student loan or nursing/midwifery bursary is submitted late, your first payment may be delayed. 1.2.2 Matriculation card as an identity card You will receive a University of Dundee matriculation card which is your personal property and should not be used by anyone else. Your matriculation card (sometimes called an ‘ID-card’): • verifies your status as a student of the University • acts as proof of identity • acts as a library card You should carry it with you and be prepared to produce it on request at any time while you are on campus. 1.2.3 Evidence of matriculation status Some students need to have evidence of confirmation of their status as students, for example, for general, financial, student loan, employment, Council Tax or visa requirements. If this applies to you, then you should contact 1.2.4 Facilities available to all matriculated students Once you have matriculated, you will have full access to all University networked systems and facilities that support your learning. This includes the University Standard Desktop (also known as SOE) which is supported by Information and Communication Services (ICS). In addition, you have access to the libraries, the University email system and My Dundee. You automatically become a member of Dundee University Students’ Association and the Sports Union. Note that there are charges for using the sports facilities. 1.3 Financial issues 1.3.1 Tuition Fees The yearly tuition fee charged for your studies is detailed in your letter of offer issued by Admissions and Student Recruitment. Please be aware that each academic year these fees may increase slightly, at least in line with inflation. For full details of our tuition fee payment terms and methods of payment, look for the heading ‘2010/11 Fees Policies’ on our Registry website at This is important information, so please take time to read it. 1.3.2 Residences Fees Prior to your arrival, you will have confirmed your accommodation with the Residences Office and paid your £300.00 pre-payment. The full cost of your accommodation is detailed in your Accommodation Acceptance letter which you will have signed. Please ensure you read this important document carefully.


Council Tax and Matriculation This tax is set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade. Students in full-time education are generally exempt from Council Tax. For those students not resident in the University’s Halls of Residence, a list is provided to local councils (Dundee, Angus, Perth & Kinross, and Fife) to allow the appropriate exemption to be claimed. This service is automatically provided for all eligible students, UNLESS a student indicates they do not wish to claim exemption from the payment of Council Tax. If you do not intend to claim the exemption, you should confirm this by ticking the 'opt out' box on the matriculation schedule. Those students whose semester address is elsewhere should contact their local authority for the appropriate form. A Council Tax Exemption Certificate may also be obtained from the Registry. Note that students still need to register with their local authority for exemption. The lists merely confirm student status.

Police Registration: some international students need to register with the police within 7 days of arrival. Details are available in section 9.8.6.

Action point: Let Registry know that your funding has been confirmed by bringing a copy of your funding confirmation letter to registration with you or by sending a copy of the letter from your funding body to: Registry, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 4HN.

Action Point: Get into the habit of checking your University email address every day as this is the way in which the University in all its forms will communicate with you. Note that some emails from other email addresses may be identified as spam by the system and so may be blocked.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 7

As with the tuition fees, we can offer alternative ways to pay by Direct Debit. Note that, if fees remain unpaid and a Direct Debit has not been set up by the due date, a late payment fee will also be added to your fees. For more information about your accommodation and the fees, look for the heading ‘The Facts’ on our Residences website at: 1.3.3 If your fees are being paid by a sponsor If you have applied to an award body for payment of your tuition and/or residences fees and have received a letter confirming this funding, then you need to let the Registry and Cash Office know. You should be aware that you may have to apply for funding every year and we need confirmation of your funding for each academic year. Without this written confirmation, we will consider you to be personably liable for payment of all your fees. 1.3.4 If your fees are being paid by you, your parent/s, partner or other family relation In general, all tuition fees are due for payment on or before registration or at the latest within 30 days of your studies beginning. We do appreciate that this is not always possible and can offer alternative ways to pay by Direct Debit (DD). Direct Debits allow regular payments to be made from a UK bank account. You should be aware that, where fees remain unpaid and a Direct Debit has not been set up within the 30-day period, a late payment fee will be added to your fees. 1.3.5 Where to pay your fees • Cash Office If you are matriculating in Bonar Hall (Number 2 on Campus Map), you will find a temporary Cash Office presence there. Note that you can visit the permanent Cash Office where the staff will be happy to accept payments from you - or to help with any queries you may have. If you find it more convenient, you can also pay tuition fees online: •

The Sales Ledger Team are here to help you arrange payment of your fees, but, if you think your fees are incorrect, we can help you check this as well.

1.3.6 Student Debt The University is not unsympathetic to students who may find that they fall into debt. If this happens to you, then it is important that you discuss the issues with an advisor in the Student Funding Unit before difficulties escalate or before it impacts on your studies or graduation. If you fall into debt with the University, for example, by not paying fees or your Residences bill, then there is a danger that you may have to leave if you are unable to improve your financial situation.

Important note: Direct Debit arrangements cannot be set up on an overseas bank account.

Cash Office: Location: Ground Floor Tower Number on campus map: 1 Open: Monday to Friday 9.00 – 12.15 and 13.30 – 16.15

Sales Ledger Team: Phone: +44 (0)1382 386686 Fax: +44 (0)1382 385867 Email: salesledgerenquiries Location: Sales Ledger, Tower Building, University of Dundee Dundee DD1 4HN Number on campus map: 1 Open: Monday to Friday 9.00 – 12.15 and 13.30 – 16.15

Student Funding Unit: Phone: 01382 384801 Email: Web: studentservices/studentfunding Location: 3 Cross Row (1st Floor) Number on campus map: 30 Open: Monday to Friday 10.00 - 16.00


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 8

If you act promptly by responding to official letters from the University, we may be able to resolve some of the issues by making special arrangements to assist you. For further information that may help, visit:

1.3.7 Opening a bank account Setting up a Bank account is important. There are several banks with offices in Dundee and most have an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) – often called a ‘cash machine’. Local banks include: • Bank of Scotland 2 West Marketgait, Dundee, DD1 1QN • Clydesdale Bank plc 7/8 High Street, Dundee, DD1 1SS (ATM on DUSA building south side) • Lloyds TSB Bank plc Meadowside, Dundee, DD1 9DU • National Westminster Bank plc 1 Courthouse Square, Dundee DD1 1NH • Royal Bank of Scotland (ATM on DUSA building north side) Balfour Street, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 4HB When you open a bank account in person you will need to provide: • proof of your identity, for example, passport or birth certificate • your University admission letter and acceptance certificate • your current address (this can be the letter confirming your residence place, an electricity or gas company bill, but if you are living in private accommodation, then a copy of your lease agreement would be necessary). 1.4 Protecting your information – Data Protection Act 1998 This legislation covers any exchange of information between Registry, acting on behalf of the University, and you as a student. It is important you know and understand both your rights and obligations under the terms of this Act. At Matriculation you will be required to sign a declaration confirming that you have understood and agree to University data requirements.


Action points: • Respond immediately to letters from the University about your financial situation • Consult the Student Funding Unit for assistance on aspects of financial issues affecting you: studentservices/studentfunding

Action point: If you are coming from outside the UK, it is important that you open your British bank account as soon as possible.

Action point: If you are an international student and are experiencing difficulties in negotiating the opening of an account, then you should contact the International Student Advisor: Email: internationalsupport Phone: + 44 (0)1382 385492 Location: Admissions and Student Recruitment, 2 Airlie Place. Number on campus map: 41 For more detailed information, visit: international/support

Action points: The Registry can give you a letter of introduction which some banks will accept as proof of address. Please fill in one of the green forms that you will find in Registry Reception to give us the name and address of your bank. We can then provide you with the appropriate letter.

The data protection information set out in Section 9, Rules, regulations and the law, outlines what the Data Protection Act 1998 involves. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact Registry in the first instance. Number on campus map: 39

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 9

1.5 Changes in your academic plans 1.5.1 Change of module If you wish to change to another module, then: • you may change your module within the first 2 weeks of the academic session (some modules may exceptionally permit a later change – you must check with your School) • you must first check with your Advisor of Studies • if your Advisor agrees, then you must inform your School Office. School staff will notify Registry. 1.5.2 Change of course If you wish to change your degree programme, then: • you must discuss this with your Advisor of Studies • you need to make the School you are leaving and the School you are hoping to join aware of your intentions • you need to meet with the School Secretary of your new School to make the necessary arrangements. 1.5.3 Temporary break from study You may wish to take a break from your studies because of personal, financial or academic reasons, with the intention of returning in the following semester or academic year. In this case, you should consult your School Secretary. Tier 4 visa students will need to return to their home country if on a break. 1.5.4 Withdrawal from the University Sometimes students run into difficulties in their personal or academic lives. In such circumstances, it may seem that withdrawing from the University is the only course of action. This may not be the only solution and, if you are in this situation, you should, first of all, speak with your School Secretary. 1.5.5 Immigration requirements for international students With effect from September 2009, the UK Government introduced a range of rules that apply to international students. This is called Points-based Immigration and is administered by the Border Agency. It means that your host university in the UK is obliged to monitor and report your attendance. The new Rules and Regulations are outlined in Section 9.8.1 on Monitoring and Reporting Attendance Detailed information about other rules governing your immigration status is provided in section 9 and covers: Extending Your Student Visa • Making an application • What you need to do to make a valid postal application • Making an application in person for the same day service Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) • Post Study Work Scheme • Highly Skilled Worker status • Students who have entered the UK as student visitors • Visiting Europe (Schengen Visa) • European students and immigration issues

Action point: change of address If you change your address at any time over the academic year, you must complete a change of address form available from Registry Reception or download from the Registry pages on:

Action point: change of phone contact details: If you change your mobile or landline numbers, then you should advise Registry so that your details are up-to-date (Phone: 01382 385390).

Action point: If, after consultation, you decide to withdraw from University permanently, then you should notify your Advisor of Studies and the School immediately. You must return your matriculation card to the Registry before you leave.

Action point: the International Student Advisor, Susan Scott, can give you more detailed advice on extending your visa. If you have any particular concerns regarding your immigration status and need specialist advice, Email: internationalsupport Phone: + 44 (0)1382 385492 Location: Admissions and Student Recruitment, 2 Airlie Place. Number on campus map: 41 For more detailed information, visit: international/support

UKCISA - UK Council for International Student Affairs This organisation is a government funded body working closely with the UK Border Agency and various other organisations including STRATOS (International Student Advisors in Scotland). Their website provides information specifically for international students and families. You can download a comprehensive range of guidance notes on all you need to know about living and studying in the UK including immigration issues from: student/information_sheets.php


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 10

2. Studying at the University 2.1 Starting out As you prepare to begin your courses, you will be thinking about the transition to University. This section provides you with some information about some aspects of learning; things that you might like to participate in before your courses begin and things that you might consider taking up when making your choices for the year to come. 2.2 When will I find out my timetable? Your School will be responsible for compiling your timetable including allocation of tutorial and laboratory timetables. You will be given a basic timetable at your meeting with your Advisor of Studies, if this is the practice in your School, or at the outset of your course. At a later point, you will be given details about additional teaching and learning activities such as tutorials, lab sessions and practicals according to the nature of your course. 2.3 Learning independently with PLUS@Dundee The values of the University are framed on the desire to help all students to develop to their full potential. Through PLUS@Dundee – Personal Learning for University Success – we hope to fulfil this aspiration. We will help you to build on the learning that you gain from the guidance of lectures and those who deliver them, by providing additional services to enhance your learning, to support your personal needs where necessary and to broaden your personal development through social, cultural and sporting activities. In creating a positive learning environment, our intention is to provide opportunities for you to acquire the skill of independent learning that will also enhance your employability potential once you have graduated. For further detailed information, visit: 2.4 The Academic Achievement Teaching Unit Undergraduate and postgraduate taught students will experience different styles of teaching, for example, in lectures, tutorials and labs at the appropriate university standard. Postgraduate Research students also need to think about the new demands made of them at their level of study. Academic Skills Tutors from the Academic Achievement Teaching Unit offer opportunities for you to reach this standard with a variety of activities provided over the year. In Welcome Week: A series of workshops that support the development of your personal learning framework:


Gateway to Learning – an introductory course in Welcome Week designed to help all students, regardless of their course of study, to make the transition into university study. Interactive and fun, these workshops are listed on the PLUS@Dundee Welcome Week Programme.

Principles of Postgraduateness – an introductory course for students undertaking taught or research postgraduate studies. It is offered in Welcome Week and again in Week 1 for students who may arrive later than 6th September.

Those headlines shown in red text indicate that there is further guidance available in a specific PLUS@Dundee information leaflet that are available at PLUS@Dundee Information Points across the University.

The Academic Calendar Semesters are counted in weeks: Welcome Week is Week 0, the first week of the Semester is Week 1, the second is Week 2 and so on.

More information about developing learning skills for university study is obtainable from the Academic Achievement Teaching Unit Phone: 01382 384308 Email: Web: Location: 6th Floor Tower Building Number on campus map: 1

To register online for Gateway to Learning, visit: www. on the ‘Preparing to Study’ tab. Principles of Postgraduateness Workshops on adjusting to a new academic environment and ethos, effective communication and participation, interpreting text for research purposes, academic discourse and writing style and academic assessment – by examination, dissertation, thesis and viva. Register online: preparing/principles.php

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 11

In-sessional • Advance@Dundee This intranet site provides access to a wide range of almost 400 integrated articles to give you an insight into skills you will be expected to develop as an undergraduate. The site is organised into eight key skill areas: • Personal Development • Studying and Learning • Effective Writing • Basic Maths and Stats • Communication and Information Technology • Research and Problem-solving • Interpersonal Skills • Curriculum vitae and Careers. •

Personal Academic Student Skills (P@SS) This 20-credit module is available in semester 1 and again in Semester 2. P@SS aims to give students a practical insight into the learning skills needed for university study, visit:

Count Me In This popular scheme is designed to help students who need some level of mathematics for their chosen degree course. Any student can apply for an appointment online to meet with a maths tutor to revise an aspect of maths knowledge that may have been forgotten or that is not understood.

Academic Writing Assistance Writing well is a key to success at any level of university study and within all disciplines. Three programmes to choose from: - Writing by Appointment is an academic skills appointment system for students in years 1, 2 and 3 and is designed to help with specific writing, study or learning issues. - Write Right and Just Write are projects funded by the Royal Literary Fund where our resident Writing Fellows, John Keay and Tracey Herd, will meet with undergraduate and postgraduate students to work on developing the writing required for essays, reports, honours projects, dissertations and essays. The emphasis is on issues of style and structure in writing.

English language Teaching and Learning • International students are invited to participate in on-going English language support classes that are offered in Semesters one and two. There are no charges for these courses which are open only to students of the University of Dundee. However, places in these formal classes are limited. To apply for a place in classes on the English Support Programme in the skill areas of Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing or Grammar for Academic Purposes, you must register for a language test that will take place in Welcome Week (Week 0). You will find more information at: port.htm

You can use Advance@Dundee via the internet on and off campus at any time by using your University password. This is a useful site to bookmark:

The Advance@Dundee Postgraduate Portal provides key information for taught and research postgraduates, at times linking back into Advance@Dundee. It too can be accessed via the Internet on and off campus at any time by using your University password. This is a useful site to bookmark: advancedundee/pg. The key areas are: • The Academic Community • Becoming a successful postgraduate student • Philosophy of research • Formal aspects of postgraduate study • Successful student-supervisor relationships • Writing up your dissertation or thesis Developing your research skills • The viva voce examination

Count Me In is open to all students at any level and works on an appointment system. Email: Phone: 01382 384308 Web: numericalskills

Action points: For writing appoints email: 1. Writing by Appointment 2. Just Write 3. Write Right

English language tuition for academic purposes includes: • Academic Writing • Grammar review • Listening and note-taking • Seminar skills • Vocabulary development


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 12

International students can also seek support through other Academic Achievement Teaching Unit programmes listed in this section In addition, postgraduate research students can participate in the Writing for research purposes workshops offered through Generic Skills Dundee and taught by Academic Achievement Teaching Unit staff. Find out more at: 2.5 e-learning Almost all modules at the University are supported online via the University’s Virtual Learning Environment called ‘My Dundee’. You will be provided with access to a range of digital learning resources from within My Dundee, and in many disciplines, online activities such as group discussions, online assessment, online submission and podcasts will be used. Many Schools make use of the University’s online assessment software, ‘Questionmark Perception’ (QMP). Both these systems are supported by the Library & Learning Centre. You will already have encountered My Dundee through visiting the ‘Applicants Site’ and you will be introduced to QMP by your School lecturing staff once your course begins. 2.6 Informal Learning Spaces (ILS) The ILS are areas on your campus that any student may use for informal learning activities such as peer learning or interactive learning through peer or group work. Look for the logo around the campus including the Library, Dalhousie, Matthew, Crawford, Tower and other buildings normally used for teaching including those on the Ninewells and Kirkcaldy campuses. You don’t need to book these spaces, but you’ll be able to see from the occupancy notice on the doors of teaching rooms when the room will be vacant. If a room is unoccupied, then you can use it. 2.7 IT Awareness@University of Dundee New students need to know how to use the Information Technology (IT) systems available at the University. These systems are maintained by Information & Communication Services (ICS). You will find information on the web pages: ICS Service Desk staff provide support to users of the services. Additional resources are available on the ICS web pages for new students: ‘IT Awareness @ University of Dundee’ and also through My Dundee under ‘IT Resources Online’. Follow the links from the ICS Home page: 2.8 Learning another language Practical Languages Communication and Language Studies in the School of Humanities offer fast-track accredited courses (normally 40 credits per year) in French, German and Spanish. You can include a Practical Language Course in almost any undergraduate degree programme.


Further information about IT Awareness is available from PLUS@Dundee website. Web: Code of conduct for the use of the Computing Facilities: duct.htm Regulations for the use of the Computing Facilities: s.htm The staff at the ICS Service Desks in the Library and Learning Centre and the Tower Basement provide support, advice and information for students using IT Services. To contact online, please use the ICS Service Desk web enquiry form: feedback/enquiry.htm or phone 01382 388000 For more information about language courses: Phone: 01382 385488 Email: Location: Caird House Number on campus map: 52

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 13

Languages for All • Accredited courses in French, German and Spanish (20 credits per year) • Non-accredited courses start in September/October for: • Arabic • Italian • Polish • Chinese (Mandarin) • Japanese • Portuguese • Dutch • Latin • Russian • Gaelic • Modern Greek 2.9 Library & Learning Centre (LLC) The most important part of the LLC service is its staff - they are there to help you, so please don’t be afraid to ask them questions. All Schools in the University have an Academic Liaison Librarian who is the primary contact for students and academic staff of the School. The LLC is also responsible for the management and development of the My Dundee virtual learning environment where many of your course materials will be held. Our libraries provide a range of different learning spaces – group study zones and informal learning spaces (ILS section 2.6) including the Main Library’s Café, silent study areas, computer access in group and quiet PC zones, and a specialist Research Reading Room. All of our libraries are part of the University’s WiFi network so you can connect to the Internet from your laptop. 2.10 Personal Development Planning Personal Development Planning (PDP): • is a way of helping you make the most of opportunities while you are at university and beyond • involves reflecting on your learning, performance and achievements • involves planning your academic, personal and career goals in an organised way • can produce outcomes for developing online in an ePortfolio. The University provides a generic online resource (My PDP) to support all your PDP activities. You will find it under My PDP tab on My Dundee when you log in. You should visit My School area as this will explain how PDP is supported within your degree. 2.11 School handbooks Each School provides its students with a handbook either in hard copy or in virtual format that will outline the practices and regulations for students. The information given will vary from one School to another. Please ensure that you refer to your copy to ensure that you are following all the specified routines and meeting deadlines so that you don’t compromise your ability to take your exams, for example. In all universities it is assumed that if you have been given information once, then you will act on it as appropriate. Generally, there will be no lecture room announcements to alert you to what you need to do.

For the name of your Liaison Librarian, details of opening hours and more information about the Library & Learning Centre, visit: If you have further questions: Phone: 01382 384087 Email: Number on campus map: 32 Open: varies – see website Action point: Take one of the tours of the main Library that are available in Welcome Week and into Week 1. A 30-minute Library tour can give you a head-start with your studies and also a chance to enter the FREE Library Competition to win a ‘Samsung Notebook’ • Main Library Tours: Monday 6th to Friday 17th September 2010 • Monday to Friday: 10.00 (not 6th), 12.00, 14.00, 16.00 • Tuesday and Thursday: additional tours at 18.00. Meet at the Information Zone near the entrance.

PDP activities may be accredited as part of a module or programme within your degree, may be shared with a lecturer or personal tutor or can be undertaken on an individual basis.

Action point: Find out more about My PDP and about the Dundee Graduate Skills Award by visiting: and skillsaward or, if you have a specific query, email: or


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 14

3. Assessment 3.1 Assessment at university comes in many forms – online tests and quizzes, oral exams, ‘open book’ exams as well as the traditional unseen exams. The ways that these forms of assessment are incorporated into your final mark will be explained in your School handbook. What follows explains how exams are administered in the University and also gives you information about how you can receive some additional support in order to prepare for them.

Ready, Steady, Exams! In two onehour workshops AATU learning specialists help students prepare for exams by looking at revision strategies and tactics for the exam on the day. The workshops are available in both semesters. For more information, visit:

3.2 Examinations - administration All students registered on a module will automatically be entered for that module examination.

Further administrative information about examinations, by emailing:

3.3 Resit Examinations - administration Attendance at semester examination diets is included in the consolidated tuition fee that will have been paid at matriculation. However, for subsequent re-examination, fees will be charged: £40 for one subject, plus a further £10 for each additional subject taken 3.4 Publication of Results Results, both for individual modules studied each semester, as well as degree and classification details, will be available online. These can be accessed via the desktop link to the Student Management System on eVision. Formal notification of results, including final award details where appropriate, will also be posted by letter to students at the end of the academic year. 3.5 Degree Examination Papers Copies of previous Degree examination papers for each subject are, in some instances, held in the University Library. You may also be able to view them by looking at the relevant module on My Dundee.

Action point: if you have resits, be sure that you complete and return a Re-examination Schedule which will have been sent to you, with your Examination results. These Schedules must be returned to the Registry no later than 15th July 2011. Late entries will be accepted up to three clear days before the first day of the re-examination diet upon payment of a late fee (£10) provided that the subjects can be taken within the framework of the published timetables. Subject to the same proviso and to the approval of the Dean of the School concerned, an entry lodged by a candidate thereafter may be accepted on payment of a special late fee.

Preparatory Resit Exam Programme (PREP). For students with resit exams, PREP provides a popular learning opportunity by helping students to tackle resit examinations with confidence. PREP runs in the 2 weeks prior to the Autumn re-sit diet. For further information about revision support and tackling exams, visit: aatu/examskills.htm


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 15

4. Students Matter: your voice in the University 4.1 Student representation – your role As a student, your opinions are valued by the University and DUSA and you have a vital role to play in assuring academic standards and the quality of your learning experience by: • recognising your responsibility and commitment as a learner and engaging effectively with your programme of study • letting staff know as soon as possible of any personal concerns about coursework and any suggestions for improvement (for example, you should not leave it until the end of the semester to tell the lecturer that you didn’t understand something they said or that you can’t hear them from the back of the classroom) • providing constructive feedback on teaching quality, typically via questionnaires at the end of a module • participating in student representation schemes (see separate section below on ‘Student Representatives’) either by volunteering to act as a student school president, a class representative or by supporting your elected student representatives by raising issues and getting involved in meetings and discussions they organise • contributing to reviews of teaching programmes. These typically happen every five years and are designed to evaluate effectiveness and plan improvements.

You can learn more about the structure of student representation in the University and in DUSA from the booklet, ‘Students Matter’ or from: studentrepresentationoverview.htm

4.2 Student Representatives: School Presidents and Class Representatives Every school has an elected school president who has the following “core” responsibilities to: • attend the relevant training session provided by DUSA at the start of each academic session • liaise regularly with the DUSA Deputy President who has the lead role in the DUSA Executive on representation issues • communicate regularly with class reps and students within their school to obtain information on current issues and to raise awareness of the importance of effective student representation • with the relevant school secretary, help organise meetings of class reps in your school to allow for information to be gathered and to liaise with the school secretary on business for staff/student liaison committees • work with the relevant school secretary to keep up to date with what is currently happening at school level • ensure that any problems or issues that cannot be resolved promptly at the school level are brought to the attention of DUSA Student Representative Council (see below), DUSA Executive and/or the relevant school board • liaise, as appropriate, with the University’s Director of Quality of Assurance. School presidents are full members of DUSA’s Student Representative Council (SRC). The Council meets regularly during each semester: and


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 16 You can also contact the DUSA Deputy President, Chris Browne, to find out more by emailing: 4.3 Class/module representatives are also elected by fellow students. These representatives have an important role to play in enabling communication between the student body, the School President, the academic staff and DUSA - and in promoting constructive change and improvements to learning and teaching. The School and DUSA (through the DUSA Deputy President, Chris Browne), provide training and active support to Class Representatives. There are many benefits to be gained from acting in these representative roles. By giving up a small amount of their time, class representatives can help their peers and the University and will also expand their c.v. and social network. 4.4 Representatives, committees and presidents in Residences represent your collective voice with different sections of the University and Sanctuary management. In addition, throughout the academic year, Residence Committees organise events for residents of University accommodation. 4.5 Quality assurance and representation The University has a duty to assure the standards of its academic awards (degrees) and the quality of teaching. Collectively, University staff are committed to enhancing teaching quality and supporting student representation as a key element in the maintenance of quality assurance within the University. This continuing activity is supported and co-ordinated via a comprehensive system of internal and external reviews. There are schemes for student representation and feedback and learning and teaching committees at all levels. Centralised investment in teaching and study facilities, along with an active academic and professional development programme, awards and initiatives, support excellence and innovation in teaching. Underpinning our work within the University of Dundee is a Quality Assurance Framework (QAF) which can be viewed on the University website at:


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 17

5. Looking ahead 5.1 Graduation Graduation ceremonies take place in June and November. You will be invited to attend the relevant ceremony. Students need not attend graduation if they do not wish to do so and they therefore graduate in absentia. Certificates are distributed at the graduation ceremony, or are posted out shortly afterwards to those graduating in absentia. Additionally, particularly for postgraduate students, routine meetings of Senate approve the award of degrees at other times of the year and certificates are also issued after these meetings. You should ensure that your submission date allows time for all of your work to be assessed so that you can attend the appropriate ceremony. 5.2 Alumni Relations Graduation does not mark the end of your association with the University. As a graduate you become a life member of the University and Graduates’ Council which is the concrete manifestation of the principle of graduating into, and not from, a University. The Council has the power to make representations to the University Court on all matters affecting the well-being and prosperity of the University and it elects two members as Assessors to represent its interests on that body. The Business Committee deals with matters on behalf of the Council and reports to the Annual Meeting when Council formally receives the University’s Annual Report and Annual Accounts. The meeting is organised to coincide with the Annual ‘Discovery’ Lecture and it provides the ideal opportunity to return to the University, meet old friends and catch up with developments. 5.3 The Enterprise Gym Through the facility offered by the Enterprise Gym students are invited to participate in a number of extra curricular activities that develop knowledge and understanding of business enterprise and entrepreneurship. You can also learn how you can develop your employability.

Graduation arrangements are made by the Registry, and if you have any questions relating to graduation contact them on 01382 384012. You should receive details of graduation arrangements when you receive official confirmation of the award of your degree. In order to graduate you will be required to pay a one-off Graduates’ Registration fee of £50, unless you are already a Dundee Graduate.

The Alumni and Development Office are here to help you stay in touch with your fellow graduates and the University. To do so - and obtain your ‘email for life’ - register on our alumni online community website:

For further information on the Graduates’ Council, visit:

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384653 Email: Web: Location: Caird House Number on campus map: 52


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 18

Section III - Working and living in Dundee 6. Working while a student 6.1 Student employment If you are a student on a course in the UK and you work solely in the holiday periods (Summer, Christmas, Easter) you may be able to receive your wages without tax being deducted. You will need to complete a Student Exemption Form, see: work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm To receive your wages without tax being deducted you must: • be a student who is planning to continue being a student until after 5 April next • not have a total income from all sources - apart from student loans, scholarships and educational grants - of more than £6,475 in the tax year 2010/2011. Further information about working as a student is available from the following websites: • work_hols_while_student_8_1.htm • 6.2 Employment and National Minimum Wage You should be receiving at least the minimum wage. In the UK, the setting of a national minimum wage is intended to provide employees with decent minimum standards and fairness in the work place. This applies, even if you are in training or are receiving tips. The Government has made the following recommendations: • £5.80 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older • a development rate of £4.83 per hour for workers aged 18 – 21 inclusive • £3.57 per hour for all workers under the age of 18 (note all figures correct at October 2010). More information is available from the following websites: • • TheNationalMinimumWage/DG_10027201 • index.htm



International students working during studies If you are in the UK with student immigration permission for more than 6 months, you will be allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during semester-time, and full-time during vacations, a work placement or an internship. Note that some postgraduate students are required to research and write a dissertation or thesis while other students are on holiday. If this applies to you, then your employment is restricted to 20 hours a week but, if your tutor or supervisor agrees that you can take a break for some time of that period and is happy to confirm in writing that this time is a holiday for you, then you can work fulltime for the duration of the agreed break. For more detailed information on working during your studies see the UKCISA information sheet: working_during.php

Be wary of accepting ‘cash in hand’. Wages are normally paid directly into your bank account and you should receive a proper pay slip.

Working after your studies are finished: Once you have completed your studies, you are permitted to work up to a maximum of 4 months, if you have time remaining on your visa. If you wish to work beyond that time, you must change your visa to an employment category, for example, Tier 1 Post-study work; Tier 1 (General); or Tier 2.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 19

National Insurance Number Under UK Law, when you start work you will need a National Insurance (NI) number. You do not need this to start work, but you must apply for one as soon as you receive the offer of a job. You will need to make an appointment with the government department called Jobcentre Plus by telephoning the central number 0845 6000 643. You should ask for an appointment at the Dundee branch, that is, the Wellgate Job Centre. You will be invited for an appointment at the local Jobcentre Plus, Wellgate Centre within two weeks and you will be required to show the following documents: • your passport • evidence of your address – a utility (gas or electricity) bill or bank statement • details of your job offer, usually a letter from your employer or proof that you are actively seeking work. Note that all documents must be originals. Photocopies are not acceptable. You may be allocated a temporary NI number while your application is being processed. Further information is available at: • •

Bulgarian and Romanian students If you are a Bulgarian or a Romanian student and you intend to work while you are studying, you should apply for a yellow registration certificate (BR1) before you start your employment. Note that you will be restricted to working 20 hours a week during semester time, but you can work fulltime during vacations. For more information, see: eucitizens/bulgarianand romaniannationals

Married international students with dependants If your visa is for 12 months or more, and your spouse (wife/husband) is here with you, they will be free to work in the UK without any restrictions. For more information for families, see: info_sheets/your_family.php


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 20

7. Living in Dundee This section highlights some of the campus services and facilities offered by the University that might be relevant to you. The list is compiled in alphabetical order for ease of reference. In most instances, you can obtain further information on these services in the leaflets available at the PLUS@Dundee Information points across the University or from the Welcome 2010 Website at: Note also that there are more than 40 student societies that offer diverse activities to all students. Information about societies can be obtained from DUSA. 7.1 Campus services and facilities 7.1.1 Chaplaincy University Chaplain: Reverend Dr. Fiona Douglas The Chaplaincy is a multi-faith centre offering a welcome to people of all faiths and those of none. In addition to services of worship, the Chaplaincy provides personal and spiritual support, social activities and retreats as well as meeting places for societies and other groups and a good value coffee shop.

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384157 Email: Location: Cross Row Number on campus map: 31

The Chaplaincy also provides Muslim Prayer rooms in premises attached to the Careers Building (Number 53 on the campus map). 7.1.2 Careers Service Director: Graham Nicholson Practical, tailored advice helps you with your career choice, study options, vacancy searches, applications, interviews, funding, work experience and more. You can either make an appointment with an advisor for 30 minutes or drop in between noon – 2 each day without an appointment for our 10-minute quick query service (Check website for availability).

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384017 Email: Web: Location: Careers Building, 166 Nethergate. Number on campus map: 53

Three accredited Level 2 career modules (Career Planning Module Online and Internship Module) are open to selected students and allow you to take part in a valuable, practical module whilst gaining academic credit. We also offer a variety of interactive seminars (e.g. interview tips, c.v. applications), employer presentations and department-based sessions. The Careers Service fully supports students with their Personal Development Planning through My PDP. Our Information Room contains a wealth of literature regarding occupations, employment, further study, gap year, volunteering, funding and more. The University JobShop and Placement Base are also located within the Careers Service.

Action points: Find out about our easily accessible resources and your first point of contact if you are looking for a graduate job, legal traineeship or work experience. Find out about the Dundee Graduate Skills Award by visiting: skillsaward.htm


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 21

7.1.3 Counselling Service Counselling is about enabling you to explore your feelings and relationships more effectively. It gives you a chance to look at issues in some depth, and gain a more confident perspective. If you are feeling unhappy or confused and it seems as if you are going round in circles, getting nowhere, counselling might help to clarify the issues. The Service is free and is open to students and staff in the University. You can arrange to see a counsellor by phone, email or calling at the Counselling Office. 7.1.4 Disability Services Head of Service: Shirley Hill Support for Disabled Students Our Services provide a range of confidential services for disabled students, including students with physical, sensory or mental health difficulties, specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, and chronic health conditions such as diabetes. We are a team of professional, friendly staff with expertise in supporting disabled students with all aspects of their University studies. If you have a disability, please contact Disability Services to discuss your disability-related support needs. This may include support such as the provision of additional time to complete examinations, alternative formats of course material, access to assistive technology or the provision of note-taking support. It is particularly important that you contact us as soon as possible if you are likely to need any adjustments to examinations, work placements or University accommodation.

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384164 Email: or Web: Location: 1 Cross Row Number on campus map: 30

Contact details: Phone: 01382 385402 Minicom: 01382 385403 Fax: 01382 385403 Email: Web: disabilityservices Location: Ewing Annexe Number on campus map: 11

It is helpful if you can provide written confirmation of the nature of your disability from a recognised professional, such as a doctor or a psychologist, when you visit us for the first time but this is not necessary in order to speak to one of our Disability Advisors. Information about your disability is treated as confidential and will only be disclosed to other relevant University staff with your consent and only where appropriate to enable the provision of support. If you have been living in the UK for a minimum of three years prior to starting your course, you may be eligible to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance to obtain funding to purchase equipment and other support, such as non-medical personal help, to meet your disability-related study needs. You can only apply for this funding following an individual assessment of your needs by one of our Disability Advisors. In every Academic School in the University, there are Disability Support Officers who are the initial point of contact for disabled students in their School. They can assist you with any courserelated problems and ensure that information on your disabilityrelated needs is communicated appropriately to relevant staff within the School. They work in close collaboration with Disability Services.

IT Disability Support Contact details: ICS Service Desk using the online enquiry form at enquiry.htm Specific support is provided in relation to IT needs. Further information is available on our website: disability


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 22

7.1.5 Frontline Support Worker Have you got a query and you’re not sure who to ask, or are you concerned about something and you don’t know who to talk to? Why not visit for a chat with one of the Frontline Support Workers. They are a good first point of contact because, as well as answering questions, they can also refer you to an appropriate service within the University. For example, this might be one of the Student Services Units, a School or College, the Academic Achievement Teaching Unit or an external organisation. No matter what your concern is, please contact us. 7.1.6 Health: University Health Service We are a part-time facility based on the main campus, providing a range of health services and advice. We aim to augment the services of your own doctor, rather than act as an alternative. Our doctor attends for a short period daily during semester periods. We also have a registered Mental Health Nurse, who undertakes numerous functions pertaining to those with mental ill health. Appointments with both the doctor and the Mental Health Nurse can be arranged by contacting the office. Health Care In order to be able to access the whole range of National Health Services (NHS), you need to be registered with a doctor, preferably locally. In the UK, you can still see your home doctor as a “visitor” during holiday periods should you need to do so. No charges are made for NHS consultations and treatments, but there will be a charge per item for each medicine that you are prescribed, payable on collection at the pharmacy (chemist). Each pharmacy has a qualified pharmacist, who is also able to recommend medicines for straightforward ailments such as coughs, colds, simple pain relief and emergency contraception. Standardised charges for NHS dentistry treatment are made for each procedure and you will need to register with a dentist. Sexual health Being sexually healthy involves making deliberate and definite decisions about your sex life. It also means protecting yourself and your partner/s from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancies. In order to do this, you need to undertake some straightforward behaviours at every sexual contact. If you want to know more about this, or any sexual health issue, see: info_content/SexualHealthTopics.htm or contact the University Health Service.


Contact details: Phone: 01382 388590 Email: Web: studentservices/contactus.htm Location: DUSA Building (Students’ Association) Number on campus map: 43 Open: Monday – Friday 08.45 - 17.00

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384168 Email: Web: studentservices/healthservice Location: 1 Cross Row, Ground floor Number on campus map: 30 Open: Monday – Friday 09.00 – 14.00

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 23

Specific conditions Some diseases such as Meningitis, Mumps and Tuberculosis can spread very quickly when people are living and working closely. If you want more information on these please follow the links below: Meningitis /info_content/MeningitisTopics.htm Mumps info_content/mumps.htm Tuberculosis (TB) info_content/tb.htm 7.1.7 International Advice Service International Student Advisor: Susan Scott Our role is to provide advice and guidance on a wide range of issues, especially on visa and immigration matters (see section 9.8). We organise ongoing practical support to international students and their families throughout the year (see section 8). We are committed to providing a professional, confidential, welcoming and friendly service to all international students at the University of Dundee. We aim to help you enjoy your time here and will endeavour to assist you with queries you may have and, with your agreement, will refer you appropriately to other University support services or external agencies as necessary. Part of our service is to keep you informed of many cultural and social activities taking place throughout the year including our popular weekend trip to the Isle of Skye in May. We provide links to hospitality (friendship) schemes where students and their families have the opportunity to meet with local families and experience Scottish culture and friendship at its best. Information specifically for International students will be disseminated via the international mailing list and regular electronic newsletters throughout the year. 7.1.8 Institute of Sport and Exercise (ISE) Director: Brian Ewing ISE has the most extensive sport and exercise facilities in Tayside. In total we have: • a state-of-the-art-gym • 2 exercise studios for all your favourite classes • 3 new glass-backed squash courts • a designated strength performance centre • a specialised dance/indoor cycling studio • 25m swimming pool • 4 all-weather tennis courts • 2 indoor sports halls for all the indoor sports • 33 acres of playing fields for the outdoor sports • 2 specialised all-weather pitches – one for hockey and one for other sports

Contact details: Phone: 01382 385492 Email: internationalsupport@ Web: international/support Location: Admissions and Student Recruitment, 2 Airlie Place Number on campus map: 41

The information in this handbook is relevant to all students, but additional material on matters that apply particularly to international students has been inserted at appropriate points in the margin.

Phone: 01382 384122 ISE Location: Old Hawkhill Number on the campus map: 19 Swimming pool location: DUSA Number on the campus map: 43

For more information on our student membership packages and all we have going on, check out our website at:


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 24

7.1.9 Music Music Director: Graeme Stevenson Despite there being no academic department for music at the University, there are a wide variety of activities for anyone interested in music whether as a performer or listener. There are choirs, orchestra, jazz and rock bands and musical theatre as well as concerts throughout the year. Most groups welcome everyone regardless of experience, although auditions are required for the chamber choir and the orchestra. Rehearsals generally take place in the evenings at the Music Rooms in 5 Airlie Place. For detailed times and venues either check the websites or the notice board outside the music rooms. Alternatively, just come along to a rehearsal where you will be made most welcome. 7.1.10 Nursery Forty places are available for the children of students and members of staff and are offered on a full-time or part-time basis. It is strongly recommended that you apply as early as possible for a place as demand is very high. Applications can be held on a waiting list until a child reaches the qualifying age of 2 years old. Places are booked per semester, in advance, with the major allocation for each academic year principally taking place in August although children are accepted throughout the year if vacancies still exist.

Contact details: Phone: 01382 388148 Email: Web: music Location: Cross Row, Chaplaincy Music Rooms 5 Airlie Place Number on campus map: 31 and Music Rooms between 39 and 40

Contact details: Phone: 01382 385188 Email: Web: studentservices/nursery Location: DUSA Building Number on campus map: 44 Open: Monday – Friday 08.15 – 17.15

The Nursery is registered with the Childcare Voucher Scheme. Parents can apply to join the scheme through their employer. These vouchers can then be used to pay for nursery fees. University of Dundee Nursery Limited is a self-standing company and registered charity (number SCO32969). 7.1.11 Peer Connections Co-ordinator: Joan Muszynski This scheme, run by Students Services, provides opportunities for welcoming, buddying and mentoring for students by students. The aim is to enable new students to obtain the information they need to find their way around and settle in to University life. Peer Connections is available to all University of Dundee students regardless of age, stage or level. Peer Connections recruit student volunteers from all Colleges of the University, undergraduate and postgraduate, who are trained to listen, offer information and provide support. They have been at the University for some time and understand the feelings, issues and practicalities of being a new student. Once you have been here for a while you may feel that you would like to help out as a volunteer with Peer Connections. This is a great way to meet new people, add to your c.v., personal development and employability. Training for Peer Connectors usually takes place at the beginning of semester, details may be found on the Peer Connections web pages:


Contact details: Phone: 01382 384932 Email: peerconnections Web: studentservices/pconnect Location: Level 4 DUSA Building Number on campus map: 43

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 25

7.1.12 Residences Residences Officer: Margaret Wyllie The role of the University Residences Office is to administer the receipt of applications, to allocate all the accommodation, pass residence fee information to the University Finance Office and inform the Sanctuary Management Services (SMS) regarding confirmed accommodation bookings. In addition, the Residences Office also manages the Tay Mills Residence. 7.1.13 Sanctuary Management Services (SMS) The role of SMS is to provide all the day-to-day management of the residences (except Tay Mills, which is managed by the Residences Office). The responsibilities of SMS include maintenance and repairs, issue of room keys to new residents and security matters. An ‘Out-of-Hours’ team is always available for urgent matters and can be contacted by mobile. 7.1.14 Student Services Director: Ellie Douglas Student Services brings together a number of units and services mentioned within this list. The collective aim of these services is to empower students in their personal development whilst at the University of Dundee. Details of the services available are on the Student Services website. Go to the Student Services tab at the top of your My Dundee home page to find student chatrooms, where you can post questions, chat, leave feedback and share information, anonymously, if you prefer. 7.1.15 Student Funding Unit Student Funding Officer: Sharon Sweeney The Student Funding Unit provides information and advice on aspects of financial issues that may affect students and is responsible for the disbursement of the Higher Education Discretionary Fund, the Higher Education Childcare Fund and the Higher Education Part-time fund.

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384040 Email: Web: studentservices/residences Location: 3 Cross Row Number on campus map: 30 Open: Monday – Friday 10.00 – 16.00

Contact details: Phone: 01382 573111 Mob: 07776298696 Email: Location: Heathfield Residence Number on campus map: 18 Open: Monday – Friday 9.00 – 13.00 and 14.00 – 17.00

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384007 Email: Web: studentservices Location: Cross Row Number on campus map: 30 Open: Monday – Friday 08.45 – 17.00

Contact details: Phone: 01382 384801 Email: Web: studentfunding Location: 3 Cross Row Number on campus map: 30 Open: Monday – Friday 10.00 – 16.00

Any student with a finance-related question or problem is encouraged to contact the Unit. 7.1.16 Student Support in University Residences Student Support Worker: Dr Iliyan Stefanov The Student Support Worker and 10 Student Support Assistants, two per Residence, attend to the welfare of students who live in University Residences. The team works as the first point of contact for any welfare-related issue which student residents might experience and help them to contact other Student Services Units and other sources of support across the University as appropriate.

Contact details: Phone: 01382 385534 Email: Web: studentservices/supportworker Location: DUSA Building Number on campus map: 43 Open: Monday – Friday 12 noon – 20.00


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 26

Welcoming you to the Residences The Support Team, including Peer Connections volunteers, two of whom are allocated to each Residence, will welcome you on arrival in the Residences. They will show you where to go and help you settle into your new accommodation. Members of the Team will visit each flat starting from Welcome Week, to meet you and to answer any questions you may have. Student Representation in Residences Flat representatives, Residence Committees and Presidents represent your collective voice with different sections of the University and with Sanctuary management. In addition, throughout the academic year, Residence Committees organise events for residents. All residents are welcome to participate in these events. 7.2 Travel 7.2.1 Getting around Dundee Several travel options are available to, from and within Tayside and Central Scotland, including Dundee. Public transport For Dundee Travel information, Scottish Citylink, Stagecoach, Scotrail, Dundee Airport, National Rail Enquiries online, Traveline Scotland and taxi services, see: A Journey Planner kiosk is located in the Tower Foyer (number 1 on the campus map) and DUSA (number 43 on the campus map) includes details of service changes and ticket prices. Various bus pass schemes are operated by the bus companies, including flexi-cards and season tickets. Buses Information on bus tickets/discounts for students is available from: bustickets.htm Night Bus Service The Students’ Association (DUSA) runs a free nightly bus service which will take you anywhere you request within the city boundary. The bus-stop is outside the Balfour Street entrance of the DUSA building and the bus runs from 9pm until everyone is home. Taxi-Ranks Taxi ranks are available at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, the Railway Station, Perth Road and in the City Centre. 7.2.2 Independent Travel Liftsharing Liftsharing can be used for regular journeys and one-off journeys, for example, heading home at the end of semester. It is not just for car sharing, you can use it to find someone to walk or cycle with you. The University subscribes to Dundee’s Liftshare Scheme, see: Select Dundee University from the drop-down menu when you register, so you are only put in contact with students and staff from the University.


The Student Support Worker and the Student Support Assistants work closely with Residence representatives to further student representation.

Note that in Scotland, a ‘bus’ tends to mean the local city transport single or double-decker (omni)buses. The word ‘coach’ is often used for long distance and leisure type travel.

Some city buses operate an EXACT FARE pay-as-you-enter system. The buses come regularly (10 to 20 minutes) during daytime. Last buses leave the city centre about 23.15 hrs on most routes.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 27 Car Parking No car parking facilities are available on campus for students other than those who are registered as disabled. Cycling Walking and cycling are the most convenient and accessible ways for students to travel within Dundee. All our main campus residences have secure bike parking and bike racks are provided across all campuses. Cycle parking map can be found at: Walks Lunchtime walks - come and join an off-campus walk. Enjoy the benefits of taking a break, meeting new people, getting some exercise and the seeing some great views of Dundee, and returning to the campus within 10-40 minutes, see: info_content/exercise.htm


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 28

8. Information for international families Our website covers some of the broader issues of living in a different community or in a different country, including adjusting successfully to a new culture. 8.1 Within the University 8.1.1 University International Families’ Group The University International Families’ Group welcomes international students, their spouses and children. The group is organised by ladies who have helped welcome new international families over many years. You can sit and talk together and enjoy some light refreshments. The children are encouraged to play with toys or to make things with our craft materials. You are welcome to come for the full three hours or to drop in any time between 10.00 and 13.00 on a Wednesday.

Further information from the International Students’ Advisor by emailing: internationalsupport Meetings: Wednesdays in semester time Where: Chaplaincy Number on campus map: 31

8.1.2 Social and Cultural Events The University has a varied social and cultural programme for international students and their families throughout the year, such as ceilidhs (Scottish gatherings with traditional dancing and music), cultural evenings, and weekend trips to the Highlands, the Isle of Skye, Loch Ness and St Andrews. An updated programme will be posted on the International Advice Service website and via regular newsletters. 8.2 Within the city 8.2.1 Dundee International Women’s Centre (DIWC) The DIWC aims to promote and create opportunities for women’s social, political and economic inclusion and for the advancement of education. The Centre has developed an expertise in working with women, particularly those from black and minority ethnic communities. The Centre runs a programme of social, recreational and educational activities aimed at promoting the self-development of women including the teaching of English for speakers of other languages (TESOL). 8.2.2 Education: Nursery and Primary School All three and four year old children are entitled to a free, part time pre-school place. Dundee City Council offers a range of funded pre-school education places. More information is available at: Children usually start their compulsory education in August of the year in which they are aged between four-and a-half and five-anda-half, with entry to primary school, see:


Contact details: Dundee International Women’s Centre, Unit 9, Manhattan Business Park, Dundonald Street, Dundee DD3 7PY. Phone: 01382 462058 Email: Web: Open: Monday to Friday 9.00 – 16.00

Bilingual Pupils’ Support Service The Bilingual Pupils’ Support Service is an education service that supports developing bilingual pupils by providing English language support across the curriculum for bilingual pupils. Specialist language teachers visit different schools to support bilingual children in their learning.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 29

8.2.3 Access to Learning This project is aimed at improving the transition from home to school for minority ethnic families by engaging parents/carers in the early education of their children, and promoting the valued minority ethnic languages and culture within pre-school and early years education programme Programmes offered at present include: mother and child playgroups; art activities; cookery classes; and much much more. English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Teaching in English for Speakers of Other Languages is provided for people who live in Dundee and who have very little English. 8.2.4 Translation and Interpretation Services The Unit offers a wide range of confidential translation and interpreting services. It has access to experienced translators in most languages who can meet the needs of local people and communities. Interpreters are available for contacts with council departments, and benefit agencies, as well as hospital appointments, police interviews, court work and driving tests. 8.2.5 Home Hospitality and Friendship Schemes The University is linked to two excellent home hospitality and friendship schemes - Victoria League Scotland and Friends International Hospitality. Host members of these schemes are happy to extend a warm welcome to students and invite them into their homes. This is a great opportunity for you to experience local family life, enjoy British food, and make lasting friendships. Local families also value the chance to meet you and learn more about your country and culture. The experience is highly recommended. Although these are free schemes, you would be required to pay any travel costs involved. 8.2.6 The Rotary Clubs The University has formed strong links with members of local Rotary Clubs. Each year the Dundee Rotary Club hosts a ceilidh for international students and they invite students to their annual international lunch. The Claverhouse Rotary Club hosts a games night for international students each year. Details of these events will be advertised via the International Students’ mail base. 8.2.7 Consumer Rights In the UK any person buying goods or services is entitled to a wide range of protection by law. If you think that you have been unfairly treated by a trader, then you should report it to the Trading Standards Department of Dundee City Council (Phone: 436260) who will investigate the complaint, see: Consumer advice in Dundee is now provided by Consumer Direct Scotland which is a telephone and online consumer advice service, supported by local authorities in Scotland and the Department of Trade and Industry (Phone: 08454 040506).

Contact details: Project Worker: Komal Pawar Phone: 01382 435813 Email: Web:

Contact details: Web:

Contact details: Central Library, The Wellgate, Dundee, DD1 1DB. Phone: 01382 431563/431542 Web: a2zinterpreting

Victoria League Scotland Many of the hosts from VL Scotland live in the Angus countryside outside Dundee. They enjoy meeting international students and look forward to providing you with the experience of getting to know a local family, and to promoting friendships across the world. Apply on line at: international/support

Friends International Hospitality Hosts invite you to visit a local home, meet a Dundee family, and perhaps share a meal with them. Fill in the online application form at: or pick up a form from Reception in Admissions and Student Recruitment, 2 Airlie Place (Number 41 on the campus map).

Adapting To a New Culture Coming to live in a new culture has many challenges and there may be times where you need to reflect on the value system that you bring with you and those you see in your new ‘home’. You may find that you would like to discuss the adjustments that you have to make in living in this new situation. You may find it helpful to talk to the International Student Advisor or anyone who is friendly and understanding about any issues you may have about settling into a new culture. Find out more at: student/info_sheets/culture_shock.php


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 30

Section IV – Official information

9. Rules, Regulations and the Law 9.1 This section contains information on: 9.2 Complaints and appeals procedures 9.3 Plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty 9.4 Student discipline: Ordinance 40 9.5 Data Protection Act 1998 9.6 Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 9.7 Equality and Diversity 9.8 Driving in the UK 9.9 Immigration regulations for international students. 9.2 Complaints and appeals procedures A complaint is a specific concern about the provision of a programme of study or related academic service, including teaching and academic facilities. An appeal is different, and is a request for a review of the decision of an academic body charged with making decisions on student progression, assessment and awards. Complaints will be handled as detailed in the weblink shown below. Please note that matters of academic judgement are in general not open to review either by complaint or by appeal. For further information including details of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) who may review any final decisions of the University (apart from matters of academic judgement), please visit: 9.2.1 Appeals Undergraduates wishing to make academic appeals are governed by the Senate Undergraduate Appeals Procedures. Appeals under this procedure must be based on grounds of bias, prejudice, procedural irregularity or extenuating circumstances of which the examiners were unaware when their decision was taken. In all cases, the first resort for students is to seek resolution of the matter with their Dean of School and/or College Vice Principal. Advice on their application may be obtained from the Academic Secretary. Full details of the procedure can be viewed at: appeals/welcome.htm

Academic Affairs Phone: 01382 384011 Email: Web: Location: 6th Floor Tower Building Number on campus map: 1 Open: Monday - Friday 9.00 - 16.00

9.2.2 Termination of studies Undergraduates who have failed to satisfy the minimum regulations with regard to academic progress set out in the Regulations governing their degree may be subject to termination of studies. Such students have the right of appeal in the first instance to the School Termination of Studies (Appeals) Committee and thereafter to the equivalent Senate Committee. Students subject to termination of studies will be informed of the



ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 31

procedures to be followed by letter, normally in September following publication of the results of the resit examination, see: appeals/welcome.htm 9.3 Plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty Any action on the part of a candidate which involves plagiarism (defined as the unacknowledged use of another’s work as if it were one’s own) or other form of academic dishonesty, in work which may be assessed as part of the requirements for an academic award, will be regarded as a serious offence. Cheating, plagiarism and other forms of academic dishonesty are treated with the utmost seriousness within the University and will be penalised accordingly. Extreme cases of proven academic dishonesty can be penalised by exclusion from the University and the refusal to award a degree. The University’s Regulations governing plagiarism and academic dishonesty are available from the University web site at: Some schools provide definitions and examples of plagiarism in programme module handbooks, in the context of their degree programmes. If in doubt, seek advice from your School. 9.4 Student discipline: Ordinance 40 Being a student confers many rights and privileges. Amongst these, students are accorded a great deal of freedom, which arises from membership of an academic, residential and social campus community in which teaching, learning and research, and also tolerance and equality of opportunity, are of the utmost importance. This community can only function if the rights of each individual are carefully balanced against those of other individuals, and where others’ rights to study, to respect for property, home and family are respected. The University’s disciplinary procedures seek to deal with student discipline clearly, promptly, fairly, in compliance with natural justice, and with the provision of Hearings where specified under Ordinance 40. Authorised Officers include the Principal, VicePrincipals, Deputy Principal, Deans, Director of Student Services or Nominee, Wardens, Librarian, Director of Information Services, and the University Security Manager. Ordinance 40 is available at: 9.5 Data Protection Act 1998 To provide your education without collecting and processing your personal data would be impossible for the University. Thus, your personal information will be processed in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998. In signing the matriculation form and indicating that you wish to become a student of the University, you consent to the processing of your personal information on the basis of the statement given to you at matriculation.


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 32

9.6 Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 This law creates a general right of access to all information held by public authorities, including Universities. The web page at: freedomofinformation/welcome.htm provides information and guidance on the operation of the legislation at the University of Dundee. Should you wish to request information from the University of Dundee you may do so by emailing: Where possible anyone wishing to lodge a request for information under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 should first consult the University’s Publication Scheme as this contains instructions on how to access a large amount of information about the institution. The Scheme is available at: freedomofinformation/welcome.pdf 9.7 Equality and Diversity The University of Dundee promotes equality of opportunity in the , appraisal, education, training, development and support of its staff and students while recognising, without bias, diversity of race, colour, religious or political belief, disability, gender or sexual orientation. 9.8 Driving in the United Kingdom Anyone driving a vehicle in the UK has to possess a valid current driving licence in their own name to permit them to drive that class of vehicle. The driver must also ensure that: • the vehicle has been registered and displays a valid road tax disk for that particular vehicle, see: OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/index.htm • that the driver is insured against risk of injury to other people and vehicles: OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_067630 • the car is in a roadworthy state, and has passed its Ministry of Transport Test (MOT): OwningAVehicle/Mot/index.htm Anyone driving a car is obliged to show her/his licence when asked to do so by a police officer. If drivers do not have their licence with them, they must produce it, in person, at a police station of their choice within 5 days of being asked to show it. Failure to comply with any of these requirements is an offence punishable by a heavy fine (up to £1,000 in some cases.) There are rules concerning the conduct of cars on the road with regard to careless driving, or driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. More information is available on:


International students and driving in the UK If you hold a driving licence from a designated country*, you can use your own national driving licence or international driving permit for up to one year from the date you arrive in Britain. After that you must take out a provisional driving licence before the year elapses, and pass the appropriate test to qualify for a full British licence. To comply with the conditions that apply to provisional licence holders, you may only drive under the supervision of a UK-qualified driver sitting in the passenger seat. The vehicle must also display L-plates. * For a list of designated countries see: pdf/info_sheets/driving.pdf Drivers from EEA countries: You can drive for as long as your licence remains valid. If you wish to continue driving in the UK after your EEA licence expires, a British driving licence must be obtained.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 33

9.9 Immigration regulations for international students 9.9.1 Monitoring and reporting attendance From September 2009, the UK Government introduced new immigration rules called Points-based Immigration. This means that institutions must monitor the attendance of non-British students who hold a visa to enrol and study in a UK University. Under the United Kingdom Borders Agency sponsor management system, the university is required by law to monitor student attendance on their course. Thus, the University must report any unauthorised student absences where the student has missed ten expected contacts. This would normally be when an undergraduate student has missed two weeks of a course or when postgraduate students miss expected interactions, for example, tutorials or submission of coursework. What you need to do: as an international student, if you are absent for any reason, then you must inform your school secretary of reasons for your absence. 9.9.2 Extending your student visa All applicants for Tier 4 visa extensions should contact the International Student Advice Service (IAS) for advice and guidance through the visa extension process. Application packs are available for £1 from the Enquiry Centre at 2 Airlie Place (building number 41 on the campus map) or download from IAS Batch Scheme (check and send service) In addition to our continuing support to international students, and in light of the new tighter regulations introduced by the UKBA, the International Advice Service run a service where we send your student visa extension application through the Student Batch Scheme (check and send service). We encourage all registered students who need to extend their visa in order to continue their studies at this University to take advantage of this service. You will be required to complete the appropriate visa renewal application form and provide all supporting documents (see below): For further information on the batch scheme, please see our fact sheet no. 16 16_batch_scheme.htm

The International Student Advisor, Susan Scott, can give you more detailed advice on extending your visa. If you have any particular concerns regarding your immigration status and need specialist advice, email: or phone: 01382 381381

Look ahead: The International Advice staff will process your application via the Batch Scheme (check and send service) providing all the relevant documents are produced and sufficient notice is given. We strive to assist you in obtaining a successful visa extension. It is vital you prepare your application at least 6 weeks in advance of your visa expiry date. Don’t be late: if you apply for an extension after your permission to stay has expired, the Home Office is entitled to disregard your application and you will lose your right to appeal against this decision.

Tip for official Borders Agency business UKBA requirements for maintenance Avoid difficulties by ensuring you keep the required maintenance in your bank account for at least 28 days. The last date on statements should be within 1 month of applying. Request your bank statements from the bank at least one month in advance of the date you will be required to produce these, as many banks will rarely produce bank statements at short notice.

Costs of visa applications If you apply in person: £565.00 by post: £357.00 from outside the UK: £145.00

CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Study) number Before your CAS number can be issued, you must make contact with the International Advice Service, 2 Airlie Place (Building Number 41 on the Campus Map) where you will receive help in making your application to extend your visa. Your Certificate of Acceptance of Study (CAS) number and statement will be issued by Registry following a request by the International Advice Service. This will normally be processed within two working days. You will be informed by email when ready for collection and you will be required to make an appointment with the International Advice Service.


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 34

You must bring the following supporting documents to your appointment • A completed and current Tier 4 (General Application) form • Certificate of acceptance of study (CAS) number (as above) • A current passport • 2 recent identical passport-size photographs • A bank statement to show at least *£1200 living costs (for 28 consecutive days) dated within one month of application. • Police registration certificate (if required) • Identity card for foreign nationals (ICFN), if you have one • Your original qualification certificates used to assess your suitability for the course (if required) • You must have paid your tuition fees in full or show the balance in your bank account or provide a letter from an official financial sponsor (only a Government or International Agency) • An Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate (if required)

Note that you might be able to move on from the scheme to other work categories, including the work permit employment or Tier 1 (General). You can find full information and application forms for Tier 1 (Post Study Work) on the UK Border Agency website at: workingintheuk/tier1/poststudy

*The amount you need to show for living costs will depend on whether you have an established presence studying in the UK. See p15 of Guidance for Tier 4 applicants at: Please note: Once your new visa is issued you must bring it to the International Advice Service where it will be photocopied and the information will be stored with your student record. Can my family extend their stay at the same time? Yes, your family can apply on the Points-based system (dependant) application form at the same time as you. Please see fact sheet for more details about student dependant immigration at: 9%20_student_dependant.pdf Academic Technology Approval Scheme If you are undertaking postgraduate research in science, engineering or technology subjects you may need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate. You will need your Joint Academic Coding of Subjects (JACS) code, which your department can look up for you. JACS is the system used by UK institutions to identify the subject matter of programmes and modules. Further details and an online application is available at Please see fact sheet number 10 for more information about ATAS at: 10_atas.pdf Making a premium application at a Public Enquiry Office To apply in person at the Public Enquiry Office (PEO) you must make an appointment in advance. However, you must also contact the International Advice Service to request your CAS and


EEA students: You do not have to register or apply for any particular documents in order to stay in the UK. However, you can choose to apply for a registration certificate (EEA1) which confirms that you have a right of residence as a student.

ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 35

have your application checked before you go. If your application is straightforward, it will be processed the same day and your ID card will be posted to you within two weeks. Do not travel to the PEO without an appointment as you will not be seen without one. For further details and contact information see fact sheet number 1 son.pdf Identity Card for foreign nationals On receipt of your ID card you must bring or scan the International Advice Service when we will update your student record with your new visa renewal date. NOTE: The International Student Advisor in the International Advice Service is authorised by the University to provide immigration advice and assistance under the terms of the Immigration Services Commissioner’s exemption scheme which came into force on 30 April 2001, and is fully trained in student immigration by UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). 9.8.3 Post Study Work Scheme This Scheme has replaced the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme (FT:WISS) and the International Graduates Scheme (IGS). When you have successfully completed your degree or postgraduate studies you will be eligible to apply to stay in the UK for up to two years in order to be employed without the need of a work permit, or to be self-employed or to set up in business. However, there are exceptions to this ruling: • you cannot take employment as a doctor in training • although you can apply for a maximum of 24 months under the scheme, you will not be able to apply again even if you later complete another qualification. 9.8.4 Those who have entered the UK as student visitors Immigration rules state that all non-European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals admitted to the UK as student visitors will not be allowed to switch to student status in the UK. If such students need more time to complete their studies, then they would be strongly advised to return home to obtain fresh entry clearance as a student. This follows the new immigration rule that stipulates that all students wishing to remain in the UK for more than 6 months must obtain entry clearance prior to arriving in the UK. For updated information on immigration law and policy for students see: policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part1 9.8.5 Visiting Europe (Schengen Visa) If you are planning to go abroad during your holidays, think about your arrangements well in advance as it may take several weeks to obtain the necessary visa. The Schengen Visa Scheme allows visitors to obtain one visa in order to visit a number of European countries. Most non-European Economic Area nationals will need a Schengen Visa to visit any one or more of the countries covered by the Scheme. To find out more and apply for a Schengen Visa, contact the Embassy or Consulate of the country of your main destination or the country you will be visiting first. Download the Frequently Asked Questions at: Schengen_Visa_FAQs%20fact20sheet%206.pdf or visit:


ART Student Handbook 2010-11_Layout 1 25/08/2010 11:31 Page 36

9.8.6 Police Registration People from the following countries must register with the Police within 7 days of arrival. This is a Borders Agency requirement. Your passport will be stamped ‘The holder is required at once to register with the police’. This is a routine procedure and should only take a few minutes. AFRICA Algeria Egypt Libya Morocco Sudan Tunisia

AMERICA Argentina Bolivia Brazil Colombia Cuba Peru

ASIA EUROPE Afghanistan Armenia Bahrain Azerbaijan China Belarus Iran Georgia Iraq Kazakhstan Israel Kyrgyzstan Jordan Russia Kuwait Tajikistan Lebanon Turkey Moldova Turkmenistan North Korea Ukraine Oman Uzbekistan Palestine Qatar Saudi Arabia Syria United Arab Emirates Yemen

Police Registration officers will be present at Bonar Hall on the Friday of Welcome Week. Otherwise, students must attend at Police Headquarters in West Bell Street, Dundee (quite near to Taymills Flats). Number on campus map: 2

If you change your address you must inform the police within 7 days. Similarly, any extension of your permission to stay in Britain must also be reported to the police. Shortly before your permission to stay expires, you may be visited by the police. This is routine and is intended only to remind you to apply for an extension, if appropriate.

In order to register, the person will need to produce : • passport or identification document • Home Office letter (if applicable) • 2 recent passport-sized photographs • your university offer letter with details of your studies • registration fee (currently £34 in cash) for each adult person. Note that, if an organisation or company is sponsoring your studies, you should bring a letter from the organisation to confirm this. This is a routine process and involves only recording the following personal details: • Full name • Sex • Marital status • Date and country of birth • Nationality • Address in UK • Last residence outside UK • Date, place and mode of arrival in the UK • Passport details • Place of study (if applicable) • Employment details (if applicable) • Duration of leave and any conditions.


Feedback on the handbook Comments on this handbook are welcomed and these should be addressed to the Director of the PLUS@Dundee Project, Dr Kathleen McMillan, Academic Achievement Teaching Unit. Email:



































63 Dbjse!Ipvtf!boe!Dbjse Dpuubhf 64 Dbsffst!Cvjmejoh 46 Dbsofhjf!Cvjmejoh 48 Bddpvoubodz!boe 6 Dbsofmmfz!Cvjmejoh Gjobodf 52 Benjttjpot!boe!Tuvefou 42 Dibqmbjodz 7 Dpmmfhf!Ibmm Sfdsvjunfou 41 Dpvotfmmjoh!Tfswjdf 35 Cfmnpou!Sftjefodft 56 Dsbxgpse!Cvjmejoh 36 Cfmnpou!Upxfs 25 Ebmipvtjf!Cvjmejoh Sftjefodf 21 Efoubm!Tdippm!boe 5: Cjpmphjdbm!Tdjfodft Iptqjubm Jotujuvuf 59 Eftjho!Tfswjdft!)EQN* 3 Cpobs!Ibmm



44 51




















55 51 38 9 8 44 26 Ifbuigjfme!nvmuj.mfwfm!dbs 61 qbsl 37 28 Ifbuigjfme!Sftjefodft 2 5 Jogpsnbujpo!boe 4: Dpnnvojdbujpo 53 Tfswjdft 2: Jotujuvuf!gps!Tqpsu!boe 41 Fyfsdjtf 29 27 Kpio!TnjuiÖt!Vojwfstjuz 4 Cppl!Tipq 62 43 Mjcsbsz!boe!Mfbsojoh 34 Dfousf 31 58 Nbuuifx!Cvjmejoh 41 32 Nfejdbm!Tdjfodft!Jotu/ 2 3: Njdsp.dpnqvujoh!Dfousf 41 51B Nvtjd!Sfifbstbm!Sppnt 33


65 Evoeff!Dpoufnqpsbsz Bsut!'!WSD 54 Evoeff!Vojwfstjuz TuvefoutÖ!Bttpdjbujpo 49 Fdpopnjdt!)4!Qfsui Spbe* 39 Ftubuft!boe!Cvjmejoht 22 Fxjoh!Boofyf 23 Fxjoh!Cvjmejoh 47 Gmfnjoh!Hzn!Cvjmejoh : Gsbolmboe!Cvjmejoh 24 Gvmupo!Cvjmejoh 45 Ibssjt!Cvjmejoh 57 608!Ibxlijmm




65 Ovstfsz Ovstjoh!boe!Njexjgfsz Pggjdfs!Usbjojoh!Dpsqt Pme!Nfejdbm!Tdippm Pme!Ufdiojdbm!Jotujuvuf Qfufst!Cvjmejoh Qsjou!Voju!)EQN* Rvffo!Npuifs!Cvjmejoh Sfdfqujpo Sfhjtusz Sftfbsdi!boe Efwfmpqnfou Sftjefodft!Pggjdf Tboduvbsz!Pggjdf Tdsznhfpvs!Cvjmejoh Tfbcsbft!Sftjefodft Tjs!Kbnft!Cmbdl!Dfousf Tqpsut!Cjpnfejdjof Tuvefou!Tfswjdft Upxfs!Cvjmejoh Vojwfstjuz!Ifbmui!Tfswjdf Xfmmdpnf!Usvtu!Cvjmejoh





















A Fairtrade Campus

Project2:CoverForWeb Page 3




Page 4

dpoubdu Qipof;!12493!494111 xxx/evoeff/bd/vl


Uijt!qvcmjdbujpo!jt!bwbjmbcmf jo!mbshf!qsjou!po!sfrvftu/ ª!Vojwfstjuz!pg!Evoeff!3121/!!Uif!Vojwfstjuz!pg!Evoeff!jt!b!Tdpuujti!Sfhjtufsfe!Dibsjuz-!Op!TD1261:7

Dundee University Student Handbook 2010/11  

The general information handbook for all new entrant students to Dundee University for academic session 2010/11

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you