...the possibility of an old historic church building becoming a place of worship for an emerging, new and young congregation can be one answer to a prayer that we pray every Good Friday, at ever Easter Vigil and whenever someone is ordained. ‘Let the whole world see and know that things which were cast down are being raised up, and things which had grown old are being made new....' Maybe in doing this the Church of the Advocate can remind us that making new creation from the old is precisely the missio dei, the mission of God in the world.
- The Rt. Rev. Michael B. Curry
a closer look at st. philip’s
From nomination for inclusion on the National Registry of Historical Places in 1981: St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, located in the Stokes County community of Germanton, housed an unorganized mission, which despite its small size held regular services since the building was consecrated in 1894.* St. Philip’s reached its peak in size in 1895 when it reported twenty-two communicants. Completed in the early 1890s, the church is a nearly unaltered representative of the small Gothic Revival board-and-batten churches built across America during the mid-to-late nineteenth century. Influenced by works such as Rural Architecture (1852) by Richard Upjohn, these churches used board-and-batten construction to achieve the vertical essence of the Gothic style. The interior of St. Philip’s remains as it was built, including the original kerosene lamps, woodstove and furniture. … St. Philip’s Episcopal Church is an excellently preserved example of late nineteenth century ecclesiastical architecture in a small town setting. * As a Historic Church in the Diocese, St. Philip’s was cared for by a Historic Church Committee and was required to hold one annual service a year. The last service held was in 2009 and there is no longer a committee looking after the congregation. In 2012, members of The Advocate held a service at the Church.
A partial view of the property purchased by The Advocate in Chapel Hill, which is the potential new home for St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, a historic church in Germanton, NC.
Salem Convocation to plan a tribute or a special event for the community that has been home to St. Philip’s,” she said. “My hope is that ultimately the relocation of this church will ensure this facility will be here for years to come and that it can retain its original purpose of worship.” What’s Next The Advocate has received the Bishop’s blessing to explore this endeavor and now awaits modification of a Special Use Permit from the Town of Chapel Hill. The next step for the Advocate will be raising the funds to deconstruct, move and reconstruct the church buildinng estimated at about $250,000. Once this is done, the building will need repairs and improvements to bring it up to code, again costing around $250,000. The total cost of the project is roughly $500,000. Look for additional details and follow the project on The Advocate’s website at www.theadvocatechurch.org. The Rev. Lisa Fischbeck is the Vicar of the Episcopal Church of the Advocate in Chapel Hill. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reflecting the Radical Welcome of Jesus
A rendering of the proposed site for The Advocate that includes the historic St. Philip’s Episcopal Church.
The North Carolina Disciple | Spring 2012