Kona Restaurant Guide
PREFACE Our restaurant guide is designed to provide our guests information regarding what we believe are some of the best dining choices in the Kona area. It represents a wide variety of options. During this COVID-19 environment all restaurants are following current protocols as mandated by Federal, State and Local governments. These mandates and guidelines may change at any given time. Currently, while some restaurants may be closed, most restaurants listed in our guide are open with both dine-in and take out service. However, restaurants may have limited indoor seating capacities and many have limited hours of service at this time. We hope to welcome you soon at Honu Kai and look forward to providing you further guidance in person when you arrive!
Kona Restaurant Guide
1. Jackie Rey’s $$-$$$ 808.327.0209 75-5995 Kuakini Hwy, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 A local’s favorite … and Ours! Elegant food at reasonable prices, everything’s really great! Great service too. Freshest fish, steak, ribs and vegetarian options. Generally no problems parking. Pottery Terrace on the left at Walua Rd. 2. Don The Beachcomber (at Royal Kona Resort) $$-$$$ 808. 329.3111 75-5852 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Great for sunset pupu’s & drinks. Restaurant is a prime location on the outside ring, right on the lava/water. Pre fixe menu, good food. Reservations needed for outside ring seating. Don’t do if it’s the buffet! (Validated parking, bring ticket) 3. Huggo’s $$$$ 808.329.1493 75-5828 Kahakai Rd, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Restaurant is so-so, pricey but right on the water. Reservations needed. Parking for both Huggo’s restaurants off in the woods just above the parking lot off Ali’i Drive. Nice dance area, great jazz on the weekends, good service and usually very busy. 4. Huggo’s on the Rocks $$ 808.329.1493 75-5824 Kahakai Rd, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Music & drinks, sandy floor, right on the ocean, totally outdoors. Music & very casual. Its beach food & good drinks, a great place to wiggle your toes in the sand with good music, hula dances at sunset, then gets noisier and dancing after that. For restaurants 5-8 Park at the Coconut Grove parking off Kuakini Hwy. Go past the 76 gas station about ¼ mi., parking on the right. Go to the far left end for Humpy’s.
5. Humpy’s Big Island Alehouse $$ 808.324.2337 75-5815 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Music most nights, big, and very noisy. Alaskan steakhouse, beer & seafood. Dance floor upstairs. Open Until Midnight 6. Island Ono Loa Grill $$ 808.339.3037 75-5799 Ali'i Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Contemporary counter-serve eatery featuring a menu of burgers, sandwiches & Hawaiian plate lunches. 7. Island Lava Java $$ 808.327.2161 75-5799 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Good food, open all day, nice place to hang and watch the world go by the sea front. Usually has a solo musician.
8. Sushi Shiono $$-$$$ 808.326.1696 75-5799 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Our favorite place for sushi, small and intimate, reasonably priced and good service. 9. Broke Da Mouth Grindz $$ 808.331.2200 74-5565 Luhia Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Offbeat, neighborhood nook preparing hearty portions of locally sourced Hawaiian & Filipino favorites. For restaurants 10-12 Turn right at 76 gas station (Hualalai Rd & Kuakini Hwy). Park free in the Farmer’s Market area to the left or right on Hualalai Rd. Paid parking is on the corner, pay there or you’ll get a ticket! Walk across Ali’i Dr. (left to the Waterfront Row Building and right for Kona Inn Boardwalk). You’ll see the shopping area with Kona Inn written above the entry. Nice shopping area, open late.
10. Papa Kona $$-$$$ 808.339.7824 75-5770 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Food and service is really good, oceanfront dining in the Waterfront Row. Park in the free parking at Farmer’s Market and walk over. 11. Kamana Kitchen $-$$ 808.326.7888 75-5770 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Indian food restaurant, outdoor ocean view dining, next to Papa Kona in the Waterfront Row. 12. Kona Inn $$ 808.329.4455 75-5744 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Nice spot on the lawn overlooking the ocean. All round menu, fresh fish, best calamari. Casual bar area and nicer restaurant. Make reservations for the restaurant side. 13. Fish Hopper $$-$$$ 808.326.2002 75-5683 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Good food, fish and steaks, great view of Kailua Harbor. There is a parking area behind the restaurant. Down Palani Rd. where it turns, it becomes Ali’i Drive, 1/8 mi. see restaurant. Very narrow driveway to parking behind and up, just on the south side of the restaurant. Easy to miss the parking, so be watching. 14. Quinn’s Almost by the Sea $$ 808.329.3822 75-5655 Palani Rd, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Best fish & chips in town. Fresh fish and Korean style beef, assorted other dishes, all is good! Huge portions! Order Ono or Mahi Mahi. Very casual, Irish-Hawaiian bar. Parking out front, likely full, so park at the King Kamehameha hotel. Bring parking voucher & they’ll validate. Open until 10:00pm last order by 9:45pm. 15. Original Thai $$ 808.329.3459 75-5629 Kuakini Hwy #175, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Excellent food. Featured on Triple D. Easy parking. On Palani Rd. turn right into the ‘Ilima Court parking just before Kuakini Hwy. Go to the right behind the Firestone store and to the back parking area just before the laundromat. Closed Mondays. 16. Kona Brewing Company $$ 808.334.2739 74-5612 Pawai Pl, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Interesting and delicious pizzas, great brews, outdoor dining, music. Try the MacNut Pesto as base topping and the strawberry spinach salad! Palani Rd to Kuakini Hwy, go right. First stop sign (Kaiwi St) go right. First street go right again, all the way to the end of the street.
17. Umekes $$ 808.328.0571 74-5599 Paiwi Pl, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Great poke and other authentic local Hawaiian dishes. Very noisy inside the restaurant but nice outside. 18. Willies Hot Chicken $-$$ 808.328.0571 74-5599 Paiwi Pl, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Nashville Hot Chicken served many ways. Easy parking. 19. Krua Thai $$ 808.327.5782 75-5705 Kuakini Hwy, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Chain restaurant but good Thai food, easy parking. Take Henry St., cross thru Queen Ka’ahumanu Hwy, 1/8 mi. turn left at the light into the parking area by the Aloha Gas station and Jack In The Box. Drive past the Jack in the Box, the restaurant is next to Starbucks. 20. Killer Tacos $ 808.329.3335 74-5483 Kaiwi St # A145, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Wonderful fish/beef/pork tacos, burritos, nachos. Very casual, next to Tykes laundromat. Parking easy. Inexpensive and yummy, inside dining. From Palani Rd. go North on Queen’s Hwy 19 towards the airport, 1st traffic light go left at Makala St. Left at 1st light, cross thru stop sign, 1st driveway on right. 10am-8pm. 21. Sakura $$ 808.329.1888 75-1027 Henry St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Excellent sushi and tempura, very reasonably priced Japanese cuisine. Tell Lynn we sent you! Nice atmosphere, locals come here, great lunch specials. Right next to Safeway off Henry St. 22. Sam Choy’s $$ 808.333.3434 78-6831 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 Fabulous views, moderate pricing, “Pacific Rim Fusion” food. Wonderful for sunset, fire pits too. Reservations recommended. About 15 mins south of Kona. Queen’s Hwy to King Kamehameha III Rd. Turn Right, ½ mile. 23. Da Poke Shack $$ 808. 329.7653 76-6246 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 It’s really NOT a restaurant, mostly to-go stuff. Go early, they run out! Rave reviews, raw fish dishes called Poke. On Ali’I Dr, drive about 3 miles south of Kailua. Mon-Sun 10am – 6pm. . 24. The View (at Kona C.C.) $$ 808.731.5033 78-7000 Ali'i Dr, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740 General menu, good snacks and pupus. Lovely views of the golf course and ocean. Wine Night one night a week (Fri or Sat). Live music, Hawaiian style, dancing, wine and pupu’s. Casual. Easy parking
Note: Most restaurants take last order at 8:45PM Open 24/7 Denny’s on Henry St. by Safeway McDonalds on Kuakini Hwy at Makala St. by Target
9 20 18
2.3 Mi. (3.7 km)
at Mile Marker 36 15
Contact Us Phone: 808.329.8676 Mobile: 808.292.1775 email@example.com
6 8 5
4 3 2
22 23 24
1.5 mi. 4.25 mi. 8 mi.
Honu Kai B&B's restaurant guide to Kona area restaurants on the Big Island.