Camtasia Studio 7 User Guide TechSmith & Camtasia Studio: TechSmith Corporation released popular desktop recording tools like Snagit, Jing, and Camtasia. TechSmith also launched Screencast.com, a screencast storage and distribution service. TechSmith gives 30 days free trial in all its products. TechSmith Camtasia Studio, a Techsmith Corporation product, best screen recorder in world. Thousands of popular technical bloggers recommend Camtasia. Camtasia recently celebrated 10th Birthday. Current version of Camtasia is 7.0.
Fourblogger & Blogging Labs Fourblogger started to test blogging strategies. Fourblogger got success in almost all experiments so far. Fourblogger started to use videos as traffic source to blogs. At first, Fourblogger created screencast video tutorials. Currently doing Face-to-Face videos about blogging also. FourBlogger Blogging labs – All the success strategies of blogging has been submitted here by Fourblogger. Bloggers can make use of all these reports to grow their blogs. Blogging Labs
Join Us: Twitter – www.twitter.com/fourblogger Facebook – www.facebook.com/pascalsundhar Youtube – www.youtube.com/fourblogger Google Profile – www.google.com/profiles/fourblogger
TechSmith and Camtasia Studio are Trademarks of TechSmith Corporation. Fourblogger or Fourblogger’s this guide is not affiliated or endorsed with TechSmith Corporation. Fourblogger releases this guide for bloggers, video bloggers and screencast creator’s assistance. You should not alter this guide content or guide graphics, Ecover etc. But feel free to distribute this guide to your friends, colleagues, blog/website readers. www.fourblogger.com
Camtasia 7.0 Guide: The best screen recorder in my experience is Camtasia Studio. I used to Camtasia studio version 6.0. I have recently published how to use Camtasia studio to record computer screen. But Techsmith released the new version Camtasia, 7.0. So I thought that it would be useful to all the Camtasia users, if I could create a complete Camtasia guide on screen recording. The guide had been prepared for you on last few days that came really worthy. It was really an interesting experience to create screencasting about how to screencast. I included the images whenever you would need to see and videos whenever you would want to see. How to Use this Screen Recording Guide? 1. See our Youtube channel where we have more than 25 Camtasia video tutorials. We will release more tutorials in coming days. Subscribe to our channel so that you won’t miss any tutorials and you can contact us through Youtube video comments or personal messages.
2. If you can’t understand any video tutorials or you need any answers, just leave a comment in those particular videos. So that we can answer you.
3. If you find any of our video tutorial as useful, just leave a thank comment. So that we can know that we are helping to someone everyday in online. It will boost us to create more tutorials and updates on tutorials. ☺
Table of Contents (Clickable link) 1. How to record computer screen using best Screen recorder Camtasia Studio?
2. How to import and produce video in Camtasia studio 7.0?
3. How to use Basic options in Camtasia 7.0?
4. How to create HD Video on Camtasia?
5. How to use Audio section in Camtasia?
6. How to add highlight cursor & mouse click effects in Camtasia?
7. How to add captions on Videos in Camtasia studio 7.0?
8. How to Add PIP( Picture in Picture) in Camtasia?
9. How to cut individually video or audio without cutting another one?
10. How to use new feature of Camtasia 7.0?
11. How to record PowerPoint presentation in Camtasia?
12. How to use Zoom and Callout Options?
13. How to add title Clips and Transitions in Camtasia 7.0?
14. How to draw on screen in Camtasia studio while record your screen?
15. How to use screen draw shorcut keys while screen recording in Camtasia?
1. How to record computer screen using best Screen recorder Camtasia Studio? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKLWBT9m4G8 Capturing your computer screen is easy and it can be done in two clicks. F9 to start and F10 Finish. That’s all. First open Camtasia, select ‘Record the screen’ option then you can select ‘Full screen’ or ‘Custom’ part of the screen. Click on Audio to turn on audio recording. To start screen record, press "Rec" red button or click ‘Record’ on ‘Capture’ tab or press short cut key F9.
You can enable highlight cursor and clicks in "effects" tab. I explain this process in coming steps. So just now know how to start, stop recording and save the file. After finish the recording, use F10. Then save the file with a name. It will be saved as Camtasia project format file. You can use this file to edit and produce video on Camtasia. I will show the edit and produce processes in coming steps. Remember there are pre-settings needed before you capture the screen. You can do all settings, after captured the screen and before produce the video. For example, you no need to worry about video format, adding watermark, record as HD etc before you record screen. Just capture the screen and then you can produce the video in your preferred format, as HD, with watermark etc. ☺ Just you are two clicks away to capture your screen.
2. How to import and produce video in Camtasia studio 7.0? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IFXxBpags When you finished record the screen on Camtasia, it asks to give a file name to save the screencast. It saves the screencast as Camtasia project format file. It doesn’t save the file in normal formats like wmv, mp4, mov etc. We have to produce this Camtasia project format file into normal video formats so that we can use it anywhere in online. Camtasia has “Produce video as” option to do this. When you use this option, you can 1. Select the preferred dimension of the output video 2. Select the preferred video format of the output video 3. Add the watermark on video at any place & at any size. Open Camtasia software. Click on Import media. Once you imported the video, drag and drop the video in timeline.
Then click on produce video and select the dimension
( I prefer to select â€œcustom production settingsâ€?, so that I can select my preferred HD (High definition) dimension in next steps). Then go to next.
Select the video format to be produced; I always select “wmv”. Then click next.
Then give dimension. I am giving 1280*720 size for HD. Then go to â€œnextâ€?.
Here you have to select Watermark. I am selecting my blog logo as water mark. You can put the watermark image at any place on the video. There are 9 places to put the watermark image on video. You can adjust the watermark image size. Then go to next. Give the save file name and select the output path.
Then click Ok. Your video rendering process starts. Once the rendering process finished, your video will play on your default desktop media players.
3. How to use basic options in Camtasia 7.0? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tf9BhVVQsw Watch this Camtasia basic options video tutorial. In this video, I show you how use cut, copy, split options. I explain how to enable the tracks also.
First Cut Section Now I show you how to cut any section of the video. First select the particular video section. Then Click on the cut selection option. You can undo the cut. Then you can redo the cut also. Copy Section Select the part of video section to be copied. Then click on the copy button. Then you can go to place at timeline where you want to paste the copied section. Once you go to that place, click on the paste button. It will paste the cut section. Next Split option If you want to split the video, just click the timeline where you want to split the video and click on the split button. It will split your video in that place. Next Zoom the timeline. If you want to see the video or audio variations in deep, then select part of that timeline section, and adjust the zoom bar front and back. By this you can view where the audio is high and low. Remember this zoom option is not for zooming video. If you want to add zoom in and out effects, then check this video on how to use Camtasia Zoom effects. Enable the Track options: Usually when you import the video and drop it in the timeline, video and audio tracks is enabled. But you can also add other tracks like Zoom and Pan track, cursor track, Callout track, PIP track, Marker track, Caption track, Audio 1 track, audio 2 track and audio 3 www.fourblogger.com
track. To do this, just click on the "Tracks' option and then tick on the tracks which you want to be displayed on timeline.
4. How to create HD Video on Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8IOq0Nly60 Usually people search like this in Google and Youtube, “How to Record HD video on Camtasia?” From this search term, what I understood is, every one thinks that they have to do some pre-settings in Camtasia before record the video so that it comes as HD video. In truth, there are no pre-settings required. You can record the screen and save it normally. And then before producing video, you can select the settings to make the HD video on Camtasia. Import the video and drop the video in timeline. It will ask you to select dimension. Here don’t select any option. Just click on 'OK'. Even if you select something, the changes will not be saved. So just click Ok. Then click produce video as, then select the dimension as Youtube HD 1280* 720, then do the normal steps to produce as I said in my previous step.
Second way, click on produce video as and the select custom production settings, then in next step, give the dimension as 1280 *720. and produce the video. Once the rendering process completed, your video will be a HD video.
5. How to use Audio section in Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdvEcL1mkg I see many Camtasia users complaining about Audio quality. But what the truth is, they don’t know the awesome features in Camtasia audio section. At least, I was. I were talking loudly as much as (my nearby house can hear☺) while recording audio in early days. I didn’t know about there was an option to increase the volume before produce the video. But nowadays I talk slowly and then I increase the volume through Camtasia audio section. I explain in this video about how to increase the volume in Camtasia and also I explain all audio options. Firs import video, and then you have to unlink audio 1 and audio 2. Click “More” section. In “More” section, click on “Voice narration”. Use Audio setup wizard, to set the desktop Mic with your Camtasia (if you haven't done or Camtasia doesn't detect it automatically).
Then click on “Start recording”. Now you can speak in your Mic and after finish the recording, click “Stop recording”. Then save the audio file.
Then you can click on the audio section. Here you can enable noise removal (manual or automatic), you can enable volume leveling (i tried this, but it makes more noise), you can also enable voice optimization (male voice or female voice). Then below there are "volume down", "volume up", "Fade in", "Fade out" and "Silence" options available. To increase volume select the audio section in full or a part (where you want to increase the volume), then click on “volume up” button. The same procedure for “Fade in” and “Fade out” options. Select the audio section in timeline and click on Fade in or Fade out. If you want to mute the particular place, just click on “Silence” after selected the audio section in timeline.
6. How to add highlight cursor & mouse click effects in Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsO4QpTUao Viewing cursor and mouse click effects is not new for people. Since long time people love and use these effects in their desktops. Then why your screencast alone should be without these effects? Camtasia has cool set of highlight cursor options and mouse click options. Watch this video to highlight cursor and add mouse click effects. Open Camtasia, click on “Record screen” then click on “Effects” and then “Cursor” and select the “Highlight cursor and mouse clicks”. Then in “Effects” tab, go to “Options”, click on “Cursors”.
Here you can use actual cursor or custom cursor. You can change the shape of Cursor as Circle, Rectangular etc, size of cursor highlight area, Color of the cursor from color picker.
In the same page, you can also use “Highlight mouse clicks”. Select different shapes, sizes and colors for mouse clicks. You can also use different shape, size and color settings for your left and right mouse clicks. Once selected the cursor and mouse effects, click on “Ok”.
7. How to add captions on Videos in Camtasia studio 7.0? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5smcezgw_4 Open Camtasia and import video to timeline, go to “More” option and go to “Caption”. To insert captions, there are three steps.
First you have to paste the caption texts in the text box. Then you have to click start, then hear your voice clearly and Camtasia shows three lines at a time, so when you finished talking three lines, then click on next line when you exactly start to speech. You have to listen your voice and click on the next starting text after every three lines you talked.
I know this method is hard to do. Listen to this video where I show you how to add captions in Camtasia. Note: If you are just going to upload the video in youtube alone, then upload your caption text file as .txt format in youtube video caption section. It will automatically overlap the caption in your video.
8. How to Add PIP(Picture in Picture) in Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHcE_pe8XvQ Usually people search these terms. How to overlap videos? How to overlay two videos? Camtasia has this overlay feature in the name of “PIP”. Through this you can overlay two videos or image on video or video on image or image on video in screencast.
Open Camtasia and import video. Then click on “Track” and enable the “PIP” track and “PIP audio track”. After enable, you can add another video to ‘PIP track’. This video will be overlapped on your first video.
Adjust the size of the overlap video by dragging. See video to view how I drag the video to bottom right. See there! The first video is already in behind. If you want to move the overlap video to different place after a short time of video play, then split the timeline on that place and drag and drop the overlap video. Like that, where ever you want to move, just split the video timeline and drag and drop the overlap video to the place.
Once you have done, play the video, you can see the overlap as you want to see. Camtasia really rocks. Isnâ€™t it? www.fourblogger.com
9. How to cut individually video or audio without cutting another one? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgqjbWK-gQ This video shows how to cut video/audio without cutting audio/video. You have to lock any one of the track so that you can cut another one. If you want to cut the audio alone without cutting video on that part, then just lock the video by clicking on 'lock' before the word ‘video 1’ in timeline. Then you can select the audio section which you want to cut, and click on "cut" button. Through the same procedure, you can lock any number of tracks and cut the selective parts on remaining tracks. Remember, Just you have to lock the tracks which you don’t want to cut.
New feature of Camtasia 7.0 10. How to use new feature of Camtasia 7.0? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZLibjmYynA This library contains different video, audio, image files. You can use them as title clips and End clips. These files have been put in totally 7 sections.
One section is for Audio. This audio section contains five music files. You can add them as background music to your videos. Another Five sections contains video, audio and image files. You can use these video files as start title clips and end title clips. You can also use the background image files as start or end title clips.
Another one section contains sound clips for mouse clicks. You can select different mouse click sounds for Laptop and desktop. I can't tell in words how useful this new feature. See it in this video.
11. How to record PowerPoint presentation in Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTWU05_i7NA Camtasia converts your PowerPoint presentation into video. If you have Camtasia, then your MS PowerPoint automatically shows Record or Launch and Recording option in toolbar or you can enable it through â€œAdd inâ€? option in PowerPoint.
To record or convert PowerPoint as video, first open the PowerPoint presentation, click "Launch and Start recording". Your presentation will now be played and recorded as screencast video. Once the presentation finished, it will ask you "stop recording" or "continue recording". Now you can stop the recording and save it. Then you can produce it as the video. Produce method is same as other screencasts produce method which I said above. If you want clear idea, watch this video in which I show how to convert the PowerPoint presentation as video".
12. How to use Zoom and Callout Options? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKm0kiduuc I can see almost in every screencast videos I see on youtube, there is at least any one of the feature among zoom and callout is used. So every new Camtasia user wants to do that. So I thought it would make sense if I can create on video tutorial for zoom & callout options in Camtasia.
Open Camtasia - Import media - Play the video and stop the video where you want to add zoom effect and click on Zoom -n- Pan and use the scale bar to zoom in. And again play the video and stop the video where you want to zoom-out and then click zoom-n-pan and remove the zoom in. Thatâ€™s all.
Callout Click on Call out and select the shape of callout. There are many shapes like bubble, cloud, star etc. You can change the callout border color, background color, text color etc. You can use different transparency also. You can change the call out text size, font type, color etc as you do in word. You can extend the callout appearance time by dragging in timeline. You can also use Fade-in and Fade-out for callouts.
In Camtasia 7.0, there are 5 sketch motion callouts. They are wonderful and make your screencast beautiful. These callouts are red colored and attractive.
13. How to add title Clips and Transitions in Camtasia 7.0? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eWjgQL-Jg Tip to Screencast creators: Never produce a video just as you recorded. Add some cool effects or Intros. Create a Title Clip and use it in all your screencasts. You can show your blog or website name in your blog. Here I show you how to add title clips (Intro) to your videos. First import the video, click on "more" and click on â€œTitle clipâ€?. Here you can type text that you want to display in title clip (a clip which can be displayed before your main video starts). You can also upload image from your computer as background image in title clip. Once you customized your title clip, drag and drop it to timeline and play the video to see how it looks.
Transitions: Click on the â€˜Transitionsâ€™ icon. There are different transitions available. You can use these transitions between your title clip and main video or you can use these between splits or you can use these transitions between end title and main video.
14. How to draw on screen in Camtasia studio while record your screen? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZIl4t3dEno While record your screen, you can draw on screen using screen draw tools in Camtasia. To draw on screen, Camtasia provides tools such as Pen, rectangle, arrow, line, ellipse etc. You can also change the screen draw tool colors and width. I show you how to draw on screen in this video. How to use Marker section in Camtasia studio? While you record the screen, if you want to do something at some places later (after recording or when editing), then mark that point using Marker. So that you won’t forget that while you editing. You can also use ‘Marker’ when editing, to mark in some points of timeline. Check the video how to use Marker section in Camtasia. Procedure: Click Record or F9, Go to Tools-Options- Select “Effect toolbars” - Ok. After that press record-While record is going on-expand the Record screen tab from task bar- Select any one of these tools Pen - Rectangle (highlight option) - ellipse. Use mouse to draw further.
You can select the color and thickness of drawing. You can also use ‘Highlight option’ in screen draw section. You can change color and width of highlight.
Use Marker Section: Select Marker from “Effect Toolbars” - Add marker - while recording click ‘marker’ on video to remind later you have to do something when you produce video.
Next video shows screen draw and marker section short cut keys.
15. How to use screen draw shortcut keys while screen recording in Camtasia? Watch the tutorial on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKLWBT9m4G8 It is little bit hard to use screen draw tools while capturing video. To make it easy, there are number of short cut keys available. You can use short cut keys to change the screen draw tools (Pen, Rectangular, Arrow etc) and colors of tools. Usually to start screen draw tool, use Ctrl+Shift+D. It will enable the default screen draw tool. To turn off screen draw tool, again use Ctrl+Shift+D. I show you how to use shortcut keys for Camtasia Screen draw in this video. Shortcut Keys for Screen draw in Camtasia •
Start recording - shortcut keys- Press Ctrl+shift+D. By default pen will open. To change color press starting letter of color, for example R key for Red and G for Green.
To use highlight rectangle, Press H. You can change color for highlight rectangle. Press start letter of the color.
To use Ellipse Press E and to change color, press first letter of color. To change width, press the number 1 to 9. It will bold the screen draw.
To use Pen, press E. To use line, press L.
• Press Ctrl+shift+D to stop screen draw.
Full List of Camtasia Shortcut Keys for Screen draw: Option Enable ScreenDraw Tool Width Shape Frame Highlight Ellipse Pen Line Arrow Color Black Blue Cyan Green Yellow White Magenta Red Undo Redo Exit ScreenDraw
Hotkey CTRL + SHIFT + D 1 through 8 F H E P L A K B C G Y W M R CTRL + Z CTRL + Y ESC
Join Us: Youtube – www.youtube.com/fourblogger Twitter – www.twitter.com/fourblogger Facebook – www.facebook.com/pascalsundhar Google Profile – www.google.com/profiles/fourblogger
Further Resources: TechSmith Official Website: www.techsmith.com Camtasia Official User to User Forum: http://forums.techsmith.com/ TechSmith Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelTechSmith Fourblogger Blog: www.fourblogger.com Camtasia 7.0 Post: http://fourblogger.com/camtasia-7-screen-recorder-tips-video-tutorial/ Blogging Labs: http://fourblogger.com/upcoming-fourblogger-labs/