DISCUSSION STARTER (Suggested Duration: 15 mins)
(LEADERS’ DISCUSSION GUIDE)
Have everyone watch the following videos.
WCO040512 | TEAMWORK:MISSION This Bible Study is designed for small groups of between 4-6 persons (per group). Should you (as a facilitator) find the existing group setting too big, feel free to form smaller groups, so that everyone has a chance to share. Total suggested duration for this Bible Study: 60 minutes. Objective of this study: As Christians, we are supposed to be working in unity for Christ’s Mission. Are we living this out? This is Part 2 of a 2-part series reflecting on the Archdiocesan Pastoral Congress theme, “CHURCH: Disciples of The Word in Communion for Mission”.
MISSION POSSIBLE (Video: 2 mins 3 secs)
ERIC LUDY - DEPRAVED INDIFFERENCE (Video: 7 mins 55 secs)
We as Christians are called to be Secret Agents for GOD. Will you accept the Mission even though it seems Impossible to accomplish? Video available from YouTube: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBgvvaLxRo) As an ambassador of Christ, why am I not moved towards helping others? Video available from YouTube: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHJ6YhSYQ)
Discuss on the following questions. Ensure everyone in the group has a chance to share their personal thoughts to the following questions. Remind all: there is NO RIGHT or WRONG answers. Keep the discussion light and lively. (Suggested Duration: 10 mins)
1. Just as a Secret Agent is defined by the mission given to him by HQ, Jesus is also defined by the mission given to Him by the Father. Likewise, we are defined by the mission Jesus has sent us out for. What do you think is God’s Mission for your life? [ There are no right or wrong answers, but personal thoughts and opinions. So keep the discussion light & open. Answers to the question above may vary according to individuals, and may include: a) to continue on Jesus’ Mission while He was here on earth – to bring hope, love, healing, liberty to all people; b) to reveal the Father (and His LOVE nature to humankind); c) to share the Gospel: Good News message of Love & Hope; ]
2. Although we as Christians are all called and sent for Mission by God, many choose not to answer the call or accept the mission. Why? INTRODUCTION (Suggested Duration: 5 mins) Have everyone introduce themselves to each other within the group – especially if there is someone new joining. Get to know each other a little bit more. Share within the group the following (ice-breaker) starter question. Feel free to mix & match:
Hi! My name is … and I think the best (greatest) Secret Agent (Spy) of all times is … (describe). (it can be a person in real life, OR a fictional character (actor or cartoon character) in the movies/on film)
Keep these discussions light and free, allowing everyone to feel comfortable to share casually and openly within the group. 1
[ There are no right or wrong answers, but personal thoughts and opinions. So keep the discussion light & open. Answers to the question above may vary according to individuals, and may include: a) not my job, someone else’s responsibility – priests, pastors, missionaries; b) not qualified enough for the task; c) no time; d) fear – afraid of saying the wrong thing; e) fear – afraid of making a fool of self / what others will think of us (Jesus-freak); f) could not be bothered/not of my concern; ]
DISCUSSION FOLLOW-UP (Suggested Duration: 20 mins) Have everyone watch the next video. 2
INTERVIEW WITH SATAN ON HIS VIEWS ABOUT CHURCH
3. You may have heard of the saying: “United we stand. Divided
(Video: 2 mins 55 secs) An interview with Satan about his personal views on the modern Church. Our disunity makes his job easier. Video available from YouTube: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqRheBu2cg)
Have someone within the group read the following text below. Encourage everyone to listen and relate what is being read to their own lives.
After just completing our 5-year Archdiocesan Pastoral Plan to Focus on the Family, we begin this year (2012) in preparation for our Archdiocesan Pastoral Congress by reflecting on the theme, “CHURCH: Disciples of The Word, in Communion for Mission”. We are all called to live out our Catholic faith, by continuing the call of Jesus and His Mission: just as the Father sent Him, He is now sending us with His Holy Spirit empowerment. As families and a community of Faith (in God we believe), Hope (in God we trust), Love (for God is Love), modeled on the Trinity (just as the Father, Son and Spirit are One, we must be united), and sent for Mission (responding to God’s call to bring Good News to others); we as Disciples of Jesus (The Living Word of God) are to be in communion (united) with one another (as a Family of God), working and serving together towards sharing Jesus (The Good News) with others, in hope that they too may come to experience Him, and in turn share the same faith and communion. To ensure that this Mission given by God is to succeed, the Church (and all believers included) must be in communion (unity/oneness). Where there is disunity and division, failure of the mission is definitely inevitable. Although the Church is made up of individuals: with different perspectives, background, understanding and ideas, we need to put aside our selfish-nature (to think only for ones-self) and work together towards achieving the common goal. Complete Unity and Oneness within the modern church may seem difficult to achieve, but it is NOT impossible. A common goal (uniting factor) needs to be accepted and agreed upon by all – and this focal point is JESUS. Discuss on the following questions. Ensure everyone in the group has a chance to share their personal thoughts to the following questions. Remind all: there is NO RIGHT or WRONG answers. 3
we fall”. How united is the Community or Church you belong to?
4. What are the biggest challenges and obstacles that contribute towards disunity within the Community or Church?
5. How can I better promote unity within the Community or Church? [ There are no right or wrong answers, but personal thoughts and opinions. Answers to the question above may vary according to individuals, and may include: a) disunity caused by different ways of doing things – although all methods are geared towards the same common goal; b) obstacles & challenges: stubbornness (I am always right! I know more than you do!), pride, lack of trust, miscommunication & misunderstanding, lack of respect towards authority figure or leadership structure within the group, everyone wants top spot, “Me, Myself & I” mentality; c) promoting unity: more dialogue sessions, listen more – talk less, recognize and respect of authority figure and leadership structure, servant leadership attitude, WWJD perspective; ]
THE WORD: ALIVE! (Suggested Duration: 10 mins) Have everyone open and read from their own bibles, the following scripture verses. Meditate and share on how the verses below strike each person most.
Jesus prays for his disciples (us included!): for mission and unity. Unity within the Body of Christ.
SELF-REFLECTION (ACTION) & PRAYER (Suggested Duration: 10 mins) Have everyone watch the following reflection video, followed by some personal quiet time (suggested: at least 5 MINUTES of TOTAL SILENCE). During the quiet time, reflect on your own life and ask yourself these questions:
How can I be better united with others (in the body of Christ) – my family, my community, my church? Who are the people (around me) that I can (physically) reach out to share the Love of God with? Then close with a community prayer – as led by either the group leader (within each respective small group) OR by the session animator.
“BY OUR LOVE” by Christy Nockels (Video: 3 mins 34 secs) Video available from YouTube: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hNnq4RjW3w) 4
As Christians, we are supposed to be working in unity for Christ’s Mission. Are we living this out? This study material is the 2nd part, in...