Page 1

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of construsting this product?

Camera: Through out this project I have used a variety of different equipment and technology to produce my final media products. I have used my bridge camera, a canon model, to photograph the two girl’s portraits which then featured on my contents, front cover and double page spread. I used by own camera as I knew I would receive high quality and defined photographs. I used my camera to take a many number of photographs in different setting and using the flash and without, I changed positions and angles to produce the best photographs of the girls.

Studio and Lighting: When using my camera, I photographed the girls in a photographic studio in which I used photographic lamps and lighting. I used three different lights to have three point lighting and to add grater contrast within the photographs. Having this contrast can add drama into the photographs and make them more exciting, which when studying the background of fashion photography and magazine shadows are often used to show the slenderness of the face. And to exaggerate cheek bones. However, on another view using the light you can also create a softer looking image, with even lighting with illuminates the face. Although when learning about these lights and using my camera on different settings I did find it difficult to begin with, but after a few trials I got the look for the front cover that I wanted.

Photoshop: The programme Photoshop has been a big part of this project, as this is where I created all three of my media products upon this programme. When creating the pieces I open a blank page A3 size and then imported the photographs I look from the shoot I did. When starting this project, I have next to no knowledge of what Photoshop and how it worked and all the things I could do with it. Not only did I edit the photographs using a range of different tools, such as, the burn, dodge, levels, curves, sticker and many other to edit the photographs. I also then added the type simply using the type tool and clicking upon the screen, within the typography editing, I changed the fonts and experimented with colour, size and style. I have experimented with layout and composition many of times and I have even made a first draft of my magazine cover then rearranged and transformed it into something completely different, by revising and refining my technique. I also upon all three of the media products, I used the shape tool, many the rectangle tool, which I then coloured with the paint bucket tool, to make certain advertisements or important information that I wished to have more of a presence upon the page stand out. Also, upon the front cover I have laid a tinted rectangle behind the main cover line, this was created using the opacity and rectangle tools, to create a subtler effect. As much as I think Photoshop is a good programme I began with finding it very difficult to use, however, by the end of the project I can use it at ease. Problems that I faced were editing photographs, to create the ‘airbrushed’ and ‘perfect’ look that magazines often feature, but after a time I figured it out.

Web spaces: Flickr: Using Flicker I learned to be quite easy, I used Flickr to upload my analysis of existing media products, which I drew inspiration from for my final product. I found the web space every simple and straight forward to use. The use of flickr prevents the messy pointed arrows around the images, or it prevents a lengthy and wordy analysis, instead this is a very effective way to present the data and analysis. Other web spaces: I used this web site for my research into my target audience, and learning what type of magazine my audience and readers would want. Again I found this web page very simple to use, as there is a step by step system for you to write your questions and format for you to set them up in. As well as setting up the questionnaire it also presents your graphs and charts for you to present on your blog. Using Blogger has also been easy, setting up labels and uploading all types of work has been simple and fast. Programmes I did struggle with though however are Prezi and Issuu. The complication I reached with Issuu was that photo upon documents that you loaded would move, however I found that saving in a PDF file would fix this problem. The issue with Prezi is that it is a very complicated programme, and that there is no simple step by step approach. For to begin with I started the prezi from scratch and then soon discovered this can be quite complicated, so instead I used a template prezi and then manipulated it until I was happy with the transitions and the entire presentation. Overall, throughout the entirety of this project I have found that I have learnt a lot about programmes and processes that I didn’t know anything about. I have used different technologies both manual, such as camera, lighting and the computer itself, and web spaces such as Prezi, Blogger, Flickr and others.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you