FIRM INTRODUCTION Elevar Design Group, established in 1967 is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH with satellite offices in Dayton, OH, Cleveland, OH, and Lexington, KY. Our roots are planted in the Tri-State region, but our projects reach around the country. Elevar Design Group serves in both the public and private sectors, with a deep rooted understanding of how to work with all types of clients. We offer an array of services designed around our customers’ expectations and business demands. From strategic planning and community engagement services to professional planning, programming, architecture, engineering and interior design services, to project management, construction administration, and institutional and operational research, Elevar leads the way from inception to completion. Elevar Design Group is an EDGE certified firm with the State of Ohio and is the largest minority-owned professional design firm operating in the City of Cincinnati. Elevar is also involved in the Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce Minority Business Partnership which is an economic development initiative that focuses on leveraging minority assets to strengthen the economy. Our firm was founded on the premise that each client deserves a high degree of personal service, and each project the search to find the “right” design solution, both artistically, and technically. As an Architect and an Engineer, our patron, Emilio Fernandez, exemplified the modern Master-Architect philosophy of eminent responsibility for the “whole” solution, and for the life of the building. These beliefs permeate our culture and translate into our work. Throughout our history, Elevar has responded promptly and efficiently to client needs with quality services and innovative, practical design solutions. Our continuing success has been achieved through our personal commitment and professional abilities. Our firm grew from humble beginnings into what is now a staff of more than 80 employees. This growth occurred organically as Elevar continued to design in new markets and acquire new clients. The combination of experienced, long-associated members working with knowledgeable younger members offering fresh, innovative ideas and approaches have lent to a continued focus on relevancy in the design world. No matter the type of client, we know that one thing is constant: our clients want a greater value for the investments they make in their facilities. Elevar delivers just that. We create beautiful spaces that take user experience to a higher level. We continuously strive for the best solutions: timeless design that is responsive to change with optimal performance for cost. We believe there is a design for every need, but we avoid the predictable, cookie-cutter response, and instead differentiate our product to always elevate our client’s game.
Tom Fernandez, SARA
Kim Patton, AIA
Tony Lozier, PE, LEED AP
Tyler Gastright, PE
Senior Vice President, Engineering
Vice President, Engineering
As the CEO of Elevar Design Group, Tom Fernandez is responsible for the overall vision and innovation of the firm. He facilitates design direction and ensures that his staff is equipped to provide the best solutions to clients. Since assuming executive leadership of the firm in the late 1980s, Tom has been instrumental in growing the staff into the multi-disciplined team of specialized designers it is today.
Kim Patton serves as President of Elevar Design Group, guiding the design staff in daily operations and profitability. Kim’s energy and innovation have been the key to his successful career which has spanned nearly 30 years in many different markets. An Architect by trade, his vast experience has influenced his ability to grow Elevar’s staff and to provide clients with costeffective and creative solutions.
Tony Lozier has more than 45 years of experience in MEP Engineering. As Senior Vice President of Elevar’s MEP team, he directs all engineering services and ensures the highest quality results for clients. His widespread experience has served as an asset to many of Elevar’s projects, as Tony has the ability to lead the engineering team toward the best solutions for all client projects.
Tyler Gastright is an accomplished professional engineer with experience in a variety of industries. Skilled at both the technical aspects of engineering and sales strategies to cultivate new markets and services, Tyler has a unique business acumen in the field of engineering.
1 Engineering and Design
12 Project Management
2 Fire Suppression
4 Mechanical 5 Electrical 6 Lighting 7 Technology 8 Process 9 Process Piping 10 Instrumentation, Controls, and Building Automation 11 Packaging
ENGINEERING SERVICES Our experienced engineering staff executes and manages projects from the feasibility phase to start-up, working in highly clean to extremely hazardous areas and systems. Beginning with site evaluation and master planning, our team uses 2D and 3D design and mapping technology to layout existing systems in order to determine the most efficient operational improvements. With a foothold in multiple industries, Elevar offers engineering and design services for manufacturing, educational, residential, government, corporate, hospitality, retail, and commercial clients.
Engineering and Design
As a full-service engineering and design firm, Elevar has a fully integrated multi-disciplined staff that offers seamless coordination of projects from the feasibility phase to project start-up. Our design and engineering teams have experience in a variety of facilities from highly clean areas to hazardous areas and systems. Our engineering team works with the owner representatives to troubleshoot existing systems, reviewing codes and permits, while assessing accessibility and constructability of new or renovated systems.
• Execution throughout all project phases + startup support FEL1, FEL2, FEL3 & Detailed Design • Vendor Technology Integration • Design and Construction in Operating Facilities • Master Planning and Site Evaluation • 2D Design or 3D Modeling • Dimension and Layout Existing Process Facilities • Utilize Laser Mapping Technology • Optimize Operational Efficiency • Troubleshoot and Debottleneck Existing Systems • Code Studies, Permit Planning and Support • Accessibility and Constructability Reviews • Engineering, Construction, and Start-Up Support • Act as Owners Representative Throughout Project • Equipment, RFQ Packages, Specifications, Data Sheets, Bid Evaluations and FATs/SAT’s • Modular System and Skid Design • Project Specification Development • Performance Specifications • 500 + labs completed
• FEL1-Feasibility Stage (Gate 1) • Business Opportunity • Identify and Evaluate Different Technical Options • Risk Evaluation • Code and Permit Reviews • Order of Magnitude TIC Estimate ± 50%
• FEL2-Conceptual Design (Gate 2) (Schematic Design) • Perform Technical BVOA (Best Value Option Analysis) and Select Best Option • Scope of Work and Basis of Design • Initial Layouts and Elevation Drawings • Flow Diagrams • Process, Utility and Infrastructure Requirements • Schedule and TIC Estimate ±30%
• FEL3-FEED-Definition (Gate 3) (Design Development) • Documents are Issued for Design • AF&ID’s, P&ID’s and PFD’s • Wall Sections, Equipment GA’s, General Intent Routings, 3D Model • Electrical Single Lines, Motor List, Area Classifications • Geotechnical Report, Fire Protection Requirements, Control Requirements • Constructability (TP), Safety, Maintainability and Operability Reviews • Equipment List and RFQ Packages (Data Sheets & Specs) • Schedule and TIC Estimate ±10%
PHASE 4 • Detail Design and Procurement Phase (Construction Documents) • Documents are Issued for Construction and Applicable Permit Packages are Developed • Perform Detail Design for Client and Develop Design-Bid-Build Package for Contractors • Perform Detail Design for Contractor and Develop Design-Build Package
We work with clients and insurance carriers to determine the fire protection requirements of each project. With a licensed fire suppression engineer on staff, we are experienced in fire main system design, wet and dry-pipe sprinkler systems, preaction sprinkler systems, standpipe systems, wet and dry-chemical suppression systems, and water mist suppression systems. We generate project narratives and specifications, route piping and sprinkler head location plans, as well as analyze system size and requirements for fire and pressure maintenance pumps.
• Fire Main System Design • Wet- and Dry-Pipe Sprinkler Systems • Pre-Action Sprinkler Systems • Standpipe Systems • Wet- and Dry-Chemical Suppression Systems • Water Mist Suppression Systems • Project Narratives and Specifications • Route Piping and Develop Sprinkler Head Location Plans • Plans, Elevations, Sections and Details using 2D Design or 3D Modeling • Code Analysis of New and Existing Systems • Analyze and Determine System Size and Requirements for Fire and Pressure Maintenance (Jockey) Pumps • Create Performance Based Design/Build • Utility Flow and Distribution Diagrams • Optimize Utilities and Debottleneck Systems • Determine Passivation Loops and Manage Passivation Team
Our plumbing engineers work with domestic cold water and hot water supply/return, while processing waste, sanitary waste and vent systems, special waste systems, and storm drain systems. We develop project narratives and specifications, code analysis of new and existing systems, and analyze system size and requirements for water treatment systems. Our team will analyze and determine system size and requirements for domestic water heaters, water treatment systems, domestic water booster pumps, sewage ejectors and sump pumps, interceptors (FOG, garage/oil, solids and lint), emergency showers and eye/face wash stations.
• Domestic Cold Water and Domestic Hot Water Supply/ Return (Including Tempered, Tepid and 140Degree F Water) • Process Waste, Sanitary Waste (Building and Horizontal Drains) and Vent Systems • Special Waste Systems (Including Fats, Oil, Grease, Garage/ Oil and Corrosive Wastes) • Storm Drain (Primary and Secondary Relief) Systems • Project Narratives and Specifications. • Plans, Elevations, Sections, Details Using 2D Design or 3D Modeling • Code Analysis of New and Existing Systems
We have HVAC and utility experience with laboratories, processing and manufacturing areas, hazardous production and storage areas, clean rooms, warehouses, packaging areas, filling areas, office buildings, data centers, and other types of buildings and systems. Our team develops equipment packages, utility piping and instrumentation diagrams, air flow diagrams, duct and utility routing design and layouts, and space pressurization plans.
• Mechanical Includes HVAC, Specialty Ventilation and Exhaust, Utilities and Stress • Classifications Ranging from Hazardous, ISO Class 1 to Unclassified • HVAC Systems: Constant Air Volume, Variable Air Volume and Variable Refrigeration Flow • HVAC and Exhaust Air Filtration Systems: Dust Collection, MERV 1-20, HEPA, Carbon and Ultraviolet • Plant Utility Systems: Steam, Condensate, Chilled and Hot Glycol Systems, Chilled and Hot Water Systems, Hydronic Open and Closed Loop Systems, Condensing Water, Compressed Air (Dry and Oil Free Instrument Air, Clean Filtered Air and Plant Air), Nitrogen, and Vacuum • Water Treatment Systems: Deionized Water, Distilled Water, Reverse Osmosis Water, Soft Water and Boiler Feed Water • Gas Systems: Fuel Gas, Laboratory Gas and Medical Gas • Optimize and Debottleneck Existing Systems • Air Flow Diagrams and Air Flow and Instrumentation Diagrams • Utility Flow Diagrams and Utility Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams • Space Pressurization Plans • Load Analysis and Energy Studies • Equipment General Arrangements • Duct and Pipe Routing Design and Layouts • Equipment and Component Schedules and Specifications • Plans, Elevations, Sections and Details using 2D Design or 3D Modeling • Code Studies (IMC, Local Codes, ASHRAE, EPA, etc.) • Building Management System Design and Integration, Sequence of Operations and Control Narratives • Stress/Flexibility Analysis, FEA Analysis, Nozzle Load Analysis and Piping Engineering
Our electrical engineers are experts in the field and offer many years of design experience. Our team works closely together to ensure that all components of the project are performed seamlessly. Key tasks performed include developing permit packages, power studies and design, panel schedules and layouts, single line diagrams, conduit pull schedules, lighting plans, fire alarm location plans, conduit drawings or 3D modeling, motor elementary diagrams, VFD design, MCC layouts and design, project narratives, equipment specifications, energy audits, technology and data pathways, and field testing and commissioning.
• Permit Packages • Power Studies and Design • Panel Schedules and Layouts • Single Line Diagrams • Conduit Pull Schedules • Lighting Plans • Fire Alarm Location Plans • Conduit Drawings or 3D Modeling • Motor Elementary Diagrams • VFD Design • MCC Layouts and Design • Project Narratives • Equipment Specifications • Energy Audits • Technology/Data Pathways • Field Testing and Commissioning
Our lighting design team has a vast experience in many markets including retail, healthcare, education, housing, various government agencies, theatrical, warehousing, process manufacturing, parking lot/ garages, sports and entertainment venues. We pride ourselves on keeping informed on the latest technology and proper application for each.
• Determining the best design approach for each projects needs and budget. • Understanding code requirements. • Coordination with associated building & structural elements. • Complete lighting design from schematics design to start up of systems • Lighting analysis • Lighting layout (Revit & AutoCad) • Illumination & energy calculations • Control system design
• AutoCAD MEP and Architectural • Autodesk Plant 3D • Revit • Navisworks • Inventor • COMPRESS • Intergraph TANK • CAESAR II • Pipe-Flo • Trace 700 • HVAC Solutions • Microsoft Project • ShareFile • GoTo Meeting • 2D Drawings and Isometrics with BOM’s Extracted from 3D Model • Lists, Schedules and Bill of Materials (BOM) Extracted from 3D Model • Model Review with Client, Operators, etc. • 3D Model Files Sent to Client for Review (Free Viewer) • Perform Clash Detection • Isometrics Extracted with BOM • Multiple Lists Extracted • Linked with CAESAR II
Computer capabilities are an integral part of our design, engineering, and management process. Computer programs help us to more efficiently provide solutions for our clients. Our team is wellversed in all forms of technology and BIM used during engineering projects. Our 3D modeling capabilities allow us to extract lists, schedules, and Bill of Materials from the model, as well as perform a model review and with clients. Our technology aids in clash detection by effectively identifying, inspecting, and reporting interferences in a project model.
• Process Systems Range From Highly Clean, cGMP to High Pressure, High Temperature and Extremely Corrosive • Process Simulation, Line Sizing and Equipment Sizing • Equipment Design, Integration and Vendor Coordination • Heat Transfer and Mass Transfer Calculations • Optimize Process and Debottleneck Systems • Process Flow Diagrams and Process Piping and Instrument Diagrams • Equipment “Request for Quote” Packages (Equipment Specifications, Data Sheets, Vendor Data Requirements, Exception and Clarifications Lists, Bid Evaluations) • Piping Spec Development • Line List, Equipment Lists, Valve Lists, Specialty Items List and Tie-In Lists • Equipment Includes Agitators, Low Pressure Storage Tanks (Clean and Dirty), Pressure Vessels (Clean and Dirty), Heat Exchangers, Skids, Pumps and Pumping Stations, Utility and Process Transfer Panels, etc. • New or Existing Tank and Pressure Vessel Design, Evaluation and Recertification (API 653, Fit-for-Service, R Stamp) • CIP System Design and Circuit Loop Layouts • Modular System Design • Process Water Loops • Passivation Circuit Loop Layouts and Manage Passivation Teams • Code Studies (CFR, NFPA, ASME, API, MSS, 3-A, etc.)
Our engineering team has experience with systems ranging from clean aseptic processing/filling and dairy to dirty, fermentation, polymers, oil, hazardous, corrosive, high temperature and high pressure (Newtonian and Non-Newtonian Systems). We use process simulation to determine pipe sizes, pressure drops, flow, equipment sizes, and existing conditions of a system. This information allows us to optimize process and debottleneck systems while developing diagrams about process flow, process piping and instrumentation as well as process equipment specifications and data sheets.
• Utility and Process Piping Design and Equipment Layout of Processing Systems and Manufacturing Lines • Equipment Layouts and General Arrangements • Generate Isometrics, Plans, Elevations, Sections and Details using 2D Design or 3D Modeling • Generate Bill of Materials • Line List, Specialty Items List, Tie In List • Piping Specifications • Layout Existing Areas/Systems and Integrate New Systems into Existing Spaces
Our engineers work with the client representatives to determine process piping design and equipment layout of processing systems and manufacturing lines. We develop equipment layouts and general arrangements, generating a Bill of Materials, line list, specialty items list, tie-in list, piping specifications, and layout existing areas while integrating new systems in existing spaces.
Instrumentation, Controls, and Building Automation
We are a team experienced in working with our clients on the design and engineering of instrumentation and controls. Our project managers instrument lists, data sheets, and specifications. Guidance of instrument installation details and network diagrams makes for a more seamlessly coordinated project. We aid in cross vendor platform integration by managing the sequence of operations and functional specifications.
• Network Diagrams • Instrument Lists, Datasheets and Specifications • IO Points Lists • Instrument Installation Details • Control Panel Design, Schedules and Layouts • Sequence of Operations and Functional Specifications • Wiring and Elementary Diagrams • Loop Sheets • Automation Bid Packages • Cross Vendor Platform Integration • Internet based access/control
• Complete Packaging System/Line Design and Integration • Debottleneck and Optimize Systems • Master Planning • Determine Operator Work Stations and Maintenance Requirements • Mechanical Integration • Control System Integration • Process and Utility Requirements • Develop Layout and Equipment Connections • Equipment Specifications • Packaging Flow Diagrams • GMP and FDA Compliance • Equipment FAT’s • Installation Support • Start Up Support
We work with our clients to integrate vendor technology and equipment into existing spaces and systems. Together, we select what equipment works best to fit their needs. We look at entire systems and multiple vendor packages to integrate components into the complete system. We offer complete packaging system and line design and integration, debottleneck and optimize systems, master planning, and determine operator work station and maintenance requirements. Our team generates layouts and equipment connections, equipment specifications, packaging flow diagrams, and provides installation and start up support, ensuring GMP and FDA compliance.
• Project Ownership (Schedule, Scope, and Budget) • Value Engineering and Performance • Cost Tracking • Schedule Risk Analysis • Discipline, Client, and Subcontractor Coordination • Review of Construction Approach and Accessibility • Constructability Assessment • Maintain Needs and Issues List • Change Management and Tracking • Risk Assessment • Supplier Pre-Qualification
Our Project Managers take ownership of each project, working with clients to set expectations, and maintain the scope, schedule, and budget. Our team keeps projects on track by value engineering and using performance analysis, cost tracking, and schedule risk analysis. Communication and coordination between the project manager, engineer and design team, client and subcontractor are key in the successful delivery of a project.
• Develop Purchasing or Sourcing Strategies • Cash Flow Management • Manage Construction Sub-Contracts • Equipment and Parts Purchasing and Tracking • Negotiate Purchasing Agreements • Expedite Delivery Schedules • Investigate Potential Suppliers • Perform Bid Evaluations • Coordinate between Owners, Engineers, Suppliers, Inspectors, etc… • Perform Regular Performance Reviews, Inspections, Testing • Manage Suppliers • Coordinate with Vendors • Spare Parts Management • Warranty Administration • Ensure Commercial, Legal and Contractual Compliances • Analyze Manufacturing Limitations, Supplier Facilities and Availability of Parts and Equipment
We work with our clients to develop purchasing and sourcing strategies for projects. Components of these strategies include negotiating purchasing agreements, expediting delivery schedules, and investigating potential suppliers. We serve as a liaison, managing the coordination between owners, contractors, engineers, suppliers, investigators, and more. Our team also ensures that all commercial, legal, and contractual elements are compliant.
• Estimate Total Installed Construction Cost • Cost Tracking by Phase • Work with Engineers to Understand Requirements of Project • Visit Sites, As Required, to Gather Appropriate Information • Perform Risk Analysis • Develop Cost Reports and Basis of Estimate
Elevar works with clients to lead the cost management process from project initiation through close out. The ability to positively influence the cost of a project is reduced significantly as the project moves from concept through design and construction. We are constantly on the alert for scope creep and budget growth, always keeping the bottom line in mind through every stage of a project.
Our team carefully considers our clients’ need and the future of each system. Client satisfaction is our number one priority, and we ensure this by taking into account the unique needs of each and every client we work with. -Tyler Gastright, PE | Vice President, Engineering
CINCINNATI DAYTON LEXINGTON CLEVELAND
Our experienced engineering staff executes and manages projects from the feasibility phase to start-up, working in highly clean to extremely...
Published on Jul 16, 2018
Our experienced engineering staff executes and manages projects from the feasibility phase to start-up, working in highly clean to extremely...