EDILON Corkelast Embedded Block System (EBS) ®
edilon)(sedra bv Nijverheidsweg 23 P.O. Box 1000 T +31 / (0)23 / 531 95 19 email@example.com NL-2031 CN Haarlem NL-2003 RZ Haarlem F +31 / (0)23 / 531 07 51 www.edilonsedra.com edilon)(sedra bv Nijverheidsweg 23 NL-2031 CN Haarlem
P.O.Box 1000 NL-2003 RZ Haarlem
T +31 / (0)23 531 95 19 F +31 / (0)23 531 07 51
Solutions that won’t shake the world…
EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS)
row and interval blocks GENERAL ADVANTAGES • Embedded blocks not subject to wear • No joint or gap problems
For over 130 years tracks for mainline rail traffic and urban mass rapid transit
• No moisture, frost or corrosion damage
systems were based almost exclusively on track panels and cross sleepers sup-
• No dirt or sludge to foul the block bearing area
ported on stone ballast. Increasing train loads, higher speeds and the demand
• Equivalent spring and damping characteristics
for more cost effective track installation methods during the 1960’s, led to the
compared to ballasted track
development of ballastless track or slab track systems.
• No need for highly elastic rail fastenings • Favourable airborne noise behaviour • Simple concrete slab design • System design can be adopted to meet structure-borne noise requirements
The primary characteristic of the EDILON Corkelast® Embed-
• Electrical insulation of the rails
ded Block System (EBS) is based on EDILON Corkelast®. This provides elastic bonding of the individual blocks and the supporting concrete slab. The unique, proven, reliable,
• Free access to the rails row blocks
two component embedding compound assures outstanding position stability over decades - along with simple installation, low system costs, and minimum maintenance.
The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) has proved highly effective for more than 30 years of demanding, daily operations. During 1969 the system was successfully installed
edilon)(sedra, with its Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS), has pursued the concept of elastically supported
for Netherlands Railways (NS) at the Velim test track in the Czech Republic. In the same year, edilon)(sedra completed projects in
sleeper blocks. This elastic support providing the same dy-
The Netherlands, for NS at Vlijmen-Empel and in Spain for Ma-
namic spring and damping behaviour of ballasted track un-
drid Metro. In 1974, EBS was installed on the “Suurhof Bridge” for
der traffic loads. As earlier demonstrated by the transition from monoblock to
NS. Most projects have been carried out with interval blocks, but NS has always remained a client of row blocks.
bi-block sleepers in ballasted track systems, the EBS solution is based on individual blocks. By virtue of their positionstable integration in a concrete slab structure, these blocks do not require additional alignment elements such as gauge bars. COST-EFFECTIVENESS
• Low structural system height • Simple installation • Cost-effective, mechanised, large-series production • Possibility of using all common discrete rail fastening systems
• Minimum maintenance • Service life up to 30 years • Low lifecycle costs (LCC)
EBS • areas of application The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) is
TRACKS ON EMBANKMENT
flexible and can be applied throughout the track. In addition
• Minimum maintenance
to being a maintenance free track structure, it also offers the
• Simple slab structure
possibility of reducing structure-borne noise. Embedding
•S imple adaptation for additional surface mounted
blocks with EDILON Corkelast® also satisfies the strict requi-
noise abatement systems
rements placed on electrical isolation of the rails.
• Simple surface drainage • Simple replacement of rails and blocks
• Low structural system height • Tunnel cross-section reduction
• Stray-current isolation as stipulated in EN 50122-2 • Simple surface drainage •S imple adaptation for additional surface mounted noise abatement systems
TRACK IN CUTTINGS AND OTHER CIVIL-ENGINEERING STRUCTURES
• Low structural system height • Reduction in cross-section of civil engineering structures possible BRIDGES
• Application on steel and concrete bridges • Low structural system height • Reduction in weight • Possible reductions in cross-sections of supporting structures
• Surface permanently impervious to liquids • Simple surface drainage • Simple adaptation for additional surface mounted noise abatement systems
• Reduction in structure-borne (bridge) noise
• Surface permanently impervious to liquids • Simple surface drainage •S imple adaptation for additional surface mounted noise abatement systems
GREEN TRACKS, GRASS TRACKS OR IN-STREET RUNNING TRACKS
• Grass possible up to the top of rails • Accessible for road traffic •S tray-current isolation as stipulated in EN 50122-2 • Use of grooved and vignole rail profiles possible • No need for gauge bars • Simple replacement of rails
EBS HR • for heavy rail and high speed lines The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System for HR is designed to meet the requirements
of heavy freight passenger and high-speed trains. The structural engineering features of all
• Permanent, accurate track position
EBS HR systems are designed conform to Load Model 71, as stipulated in UIC Code 702. The
• Maximum speed up to 300 km/h
• Maximum track cant: 150 mm (normal gauge)
Systems are generally tested in accordance with Technical Specifications for
Interoperability (TSI) that applies to nowadays European high-speed train traffic.
• Maximum cant deficiency: 40 mm (recommended, normal gauge) • Exact noise engineering design possible, in accordance with local requirements • Optional rail fastening elements with vertical and lateral adjustment possibilities • Use with all commonly applied rail profiles • Rail inclination of e.g. 1:40 or 1:20 • Track circuit current conformity • Compatibility with train control systems: e.g. ETCS, ASFA, ATB, LZB, ZUB 121, ZUB 262/ Integra, Indusi/PZB
noise and vibration characteristics The possibility of high static deflection allows the EBS HR system to be optimised to low
EBS HR systems
frequency structure-borne noise. This is ideally suited for both heavy rail and high-speed applications. Pads are installed under the block, and by varying the stiffness of these pads
It is possible to control the static stiffness of the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System
it is possible to modify the low frequency noise and vibration characteristics of the system.
(EBS) to match the characteristics of the rail profile and the block spacing. This enables adjust-
This feature makes it possible to achieve reductions of up to 20 dB, depending on the fre-
ment of the track to meet various requirements such as ride comfort or structure-borne noise
quency range involved. The appreciable damping characteristics of the EDILON Corkelast®
behaviour. The following standard stiffness categories of the EBS HR system are available:
Embedded Block Systems (EBS), due to the dead weight of the blocks and the adhesion of EDILON Corkelast®, offer considerable benefits with respect to noise radiation.
TYPICAL STATIC RAIL
EBS HR SS
< 1.0 mm
EBS HR MS
1.0 - 2.0 mm
EBS HR LS
> 2.0 mm
EBS LR • for light rail, trams and metros SYSTEM CHARACTERISTICS The EDILON Corkelast Embedded Block System for LR is designed to meet the requirements
• Permanent, accurate track position
for tram, light rail and metros. Structural engineering design of the EBS LR systems allows varia-
• Maximum speed up to 150 km/h
tions in accordance with the specific vehicle load patterns, with respect to national regulatory
• Exact noise engineering design possible, in accordance with local requirements
• Optional rail fastening elements with vertical and lateral adjustment possiblities • Use with all commonly applied grooved and vignole rail profiles • Rail inclination of e.g. 1:40 or 1:20 • Complete track circuit current conformity
EBS LR systems
• Compatibility with train control systems routinely applied on light rail and
To enable flexible adjustment of the track to meet various performance requirements such as
metro networks: e.g. ATB, ZUB 122, CBTC and LZB
ride comfort and structure borne noise behaviour, it is possible to control the static stiffness of the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) to match the characteristics of the rail profile and the block spacing. The following categories of the EBS LR system are available:
TYPICAL STATIC RAIL
EBS LR SS
< 1.0 mm
EBS LR MS
1.0 - 2.5 mm
EBS LR LS
> 2.5 mm
Estimated insertion loss for EBS PLUS HR 60E1 in 3 categories: SS, MS and LS block spacing: 0.65m
30 Estimated insertion loss [dB]
-10 EBS PLUS HR 60E1-LS EBS PLUS HR 60E1-MS EBS PLUS HR 60E1-SS
noise and vibration characteristics The possibility of high static deflection (Low stiffness category) has been developed for the EBS LR systems to a greater extend than for the EBS HR systems. Track systems with good performance in reducing ground- and structure-borne noise and vibration are especially needed in densely populated areas. In above graph the estimated insertion loss for EBS HR is displayed (for 60E1 rail, 0.65m block spacing and 22.5 tonnes axle load). The LS category of EBS offers an insertion loss of more than 10 dB at 63 Hz! The MS and SS categories reach significantly lower values at 63 Hz and thus perform worse on vibration insulation. Resonant frequencies of the LS, MS and SS categories are near 20, 31.5 and 50 Hz respectively which is a significant difference in performance.
EBS • system design track in curves The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) can be implemented in curves down to 25 m radius, and with superelevation up to 150 mm. Beyond a count deficiency of 40 mm, the asymmetric block is installed at the outside of the curve to limit the lateral railhead deflection.
rail fastening systems
Turnouts in both grooved and vignole rail profiles can be installed in
The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) is available with all commonly used, discrete rail fastening systems.
the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS). The preassembled turnouts are placed for installation on modified embedded blocks, or on embedded (monoblock) sleepers. No special components are required for the installation of the point drives, the point control gear, diagnostic systems, heating units, etc.
special track devices The blocks of the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System are modified as required for use with special track devices: e.g. with guide rails, check rails, rail expansion joints, etc.
EDILON Direct Fastening® (EDF)
With the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS), the integration of special track installations required for heavy and light rail tracks is simple. These facilities include insulated rail joints, axle counters, signal systems (e.g. track magnets and balises), hotbox detection units, earthing connections, cable terminal boxes and drainage boxes. The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) is compatible with all train control systems.
EBS • system development and production edilon)(sedra, as a matter of course, places great emphasics on the continuous further development and quality control of all components contained in the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS). Our goal here is to satisfy the special needs of our customers and to deve-
lop individual solutions. edilon)(sedra bv, with head office in Haarlem, the Netherlands, achieves
Production of all the components used in the EDILON Cor-
Independently of system specifications, 3 product ver-
this objective by drawing on experience gained in more than 30 years of delivering systems for
kelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) takes place under
sions are supplied for installation of the EDILON Corke-
rail track operations. It employs comprehensive simulation and test facilities such as:
factory controlled conditions in fully mechanised production
last® Embedded Block System (EBS):
• climate-testing laboratories
lines with strict quality assurance procedures.
• finite element method (FEM) calculations
• servo hydraulic testing machines for fatigue load testing In addition to system design from the structural engineering and noise abatement aspects, edilon)(sedra has concentrated its efforts on the following areas:
• Completely prefabricated EBS blocks
• Simple installation • Embedding, casting and pouring is carried out under controlled factory conditions
• Longitudinal restraint
• Lateral rail stability
• Impact resistance • Deflection characteristics
• Vibration performance
Only EBS blocks without tray
• Embedding, casting and pouring is carried out on site
• Rail-lift resistance
• Suitable for row block installation and for renewal
• Temperature stability
system tests and official approvals (homologations)
• Completely prefabricated EBS blocks
The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) must undergo extensive system tests
• Easy handling
to satisfy the strict approval requirements of their various customer organizations, railway com-
panies (e.g. NS, SBB-CFF-FFS, RENFE, PKP), metro operators (e.g. Madrid and Rotterdam),
and companies that operate tram and light rail lines (e.g. Bilbao, The Hague, Utrecht and
• Simple installation
Dublin). For many years the edilon)(sedra Research and Development Department has collaborated closely with research institutes, certification agencies and technical universities throughout Europe.
construction logistics on the site The EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) offers advantages for materials delivery and for logistics on the construction site as a result of compact sizes and low weight. Gauge bars and alignment instruments are only required during installation.
EBS • installation method
EBS • maintenance and recycling
The top-down method is used for installation of the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS). This method
repair and replacement of blocks
allows simple handling and assures high quality track positioning. The selection of the most suitable installation technique details depends on local circumstances and constraints, but the general method is fully described in the General
By using rail fastenings that can be adjusted vertically and laterally minor track level
Installation Instruction EBS.
and alignment corrections are simple with the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS). Major corrections, for example, in case of settlement of the supporting concrete slabs, or replacement of the blocks, is simply carried out by cutting the EBS blocks out of the block trays. After cleaning the supporting surfaces, embedding can take place once again. Detailed instructions for maintenance, repair and replacement are available.
recycling and environment All components used in the EDILON Corkelast® Embedded Block System (EBS) are fully recyclable. edilon)(sedra embedding and pouring compounds are disposed of as domestic waste, in accordance with the European Waste Catalogue. For further information please consult the edilon)(sedra Product Information Sheets.